An Analysis of Original Quests on SV (Draft, under discussion and revision)

Speaking of weird experiences: fellow QMs, have you ever realized that someone you're arguing with in a thread is also a voter in your own thread? Or that sort of thing, where it's like, "Oh, fancy seeing you here."
For me it's more "Oh hey you died! Again! Like, the 4th time now actually."

For context, this is from my XCOM LP.

I do wonder, how infrequent of updates will really lose people? I mean, there's no way to tell, because there's too many factors involved, but it makes me curious.
Whilst that's true, infrequent updates will also cost you people in a hurry.
As one of the worse offenders for both of those patterns ... it depends. I still get a fair amount of likes on my stuff and what I consider a good amount of discussion for how slowly I go - usually around 2 pages per interlude I've done - but I've also seen someone like ganonso's quests be basically barren of participation for no discernible reason sometimes. I think mostly it depends on ... I dunno. But it is possible to update very slowly and still have a healthy amount of people participating, though maybe I just got lucky.

As one of the worse offenders for both of those patterns ... it depends. I still get a fair amount of likes on my stuff and what I consider a good amount of discussion for how slowly I go - usually around 2 pages per interlude I've done - but I've also seen someone like ganonso's quests be basically barren of participation for no discernible reason sometimes. I think mostly it depends on ... I dunno. But it is possible to update very slowly and still have a healthy amount of people participating, though maybe I just got lucky.

Ganoso doesn't post that often, do they? And I swear I remember a string of dead Quests?

They post more often than I do, though it's spread out amongst a whole bunch of quests. I'm not entirely sure about any dead ones, but s/he does run a heck of a lot more quests at once than I do. Might be a factor.
Dunno if any of Ganoso's are actually dead, but the updating is so erratic that when I have taken interest it's been impossible to tell if a given one is alive or not. Ganoso is also simply not the best writer from a technical perspective, and I know that I often have trouble getting into even the most compelling premises with the way they write- not sure why.

Dunno if any of Ganoso's are actually dead, but the updating is so erratic that when I have taken interest it's been impossible to tell if a given one is alive or not. Ganoso is also simply not the best writer from a technical perspective, and I know that I often have trouble getting into even the most compelling premises with the way they write- not sure why.

Oh, uh, yeah. I was trying to get around saying it, but I often found their updates sort of short and...alright, I guess? At most? But it feels really mean to say something like that out loud.

The one time I did criticize another quest-writer (not to their face, but they saw it, so ouch) on their writing, it utterly embarrassed me and made me feel bad about myself rather quickly.

Oh, uh, yeah. I was trying to get around saying it, but I often found their updates sort of short and...alright, I guess? At most? But it feels really mean to say something like that out loud.

The one time I did criticize another quest-writer (not to their face, but they saw it, so ouch) on their writing, it utterly embarrassed me and made me feel bad about myself rather quickly.
Well, this is just for me personally, but I really don't mind if people are critical of my writing. As long as they give me actual feedback, rather than "fuck you go die in a fire" they can be as critical as they please :V

Of course, that's just me. So uh, don't take that as leave to go tear apart people.

Well, this is just for me personally, but I really don't mind if people are critical of my writing. As long as they give me actual feedback, rather than "fuck you go die in a fire" they can be as critical as they please :V
*puts on Gordon Ramsay mask*

IT's FUCKING RAAAAAA- oh wait wrong type of critique. Never mind.

I just noticed this thread today, and the topic of original quests interests me because if I were to make a quest it would be a original one. Not because I don't like fan quests; I love reading fanfiction and fanquests. But I also love doing worldbuilding and I have a strong urge to tweak and change any canon setting until it's barely recognizable; making my own worldbuilding and game system is more fun. Making my own plot, not so much... But anyway that's where I am coming from.

The one thing I remain quite confused about after reading the first page of this thread, and skimming the second page ad last 2 pages is this: Why do we want to encourage original quests? My impression has been that the player demand just isn't there for more original quests. Certainly whenever I float a concept for a new original quest or other kind of game it tends to sink without a trace. But I believe that supply and demand of entertainment is like any other economy, the invisible hand will balance things out and it's a fool's errand to try to interfere with it. If a majority of players prefer fan quests, why would we want to try to wave original quests under their noses? (If this question has already been addressed in the middle of this thread, someone tell me which page to look at.) But in economic terms, original fiction and art of all kinds are an oversaturated market, with too many creative people trying to make a living or gain fame as writers and artists; some of those would rather be dong the fancreation that consumers want more of, but copyright law puts barriers and prejudices in front of that path which push people into the overcrowded original-content field instead.

Last edited:
The directors feel they are less likely to get sued over original content, since fanfiction is technically a copyright violation.

Do you have a quote on that? As far as I recall, it was because the quest format itself is still fairly new, and lends itself well to telling stories that could be set in original settings really easily. Original fiction is just really rare amongst what usually gets run, though, and so it was thought wise to encourage people to explore the limits of what a quest can really do.

I think, more than 'Quality', readers care about 'Quantity'- Which, uh, given I don't feel like my writing quite matches up to either of these... Yeah.

I think, more than 'Quality', readers care about 'Quantity'- Which, uh, given I don't feel like my writing quite matches up to either of these... Yeah.

In your case, I can vouch for irregularity hurting participation, at least in my personal experience. I came by the thread a couple of times, hoping for an update but going from dailyish updates to a couple days of pause threw me off a bit.

Eh, life's been busy.

I'd hoped for daily updates through the week, but between homework, studying, and extracurricular stuff, it ended up not happening.

Its genre is a mixed bag, and I can't identify it easily. It started as an adventure/mystery game in which we have to explore a weird house and piece together a coherent story of our Uncle's life and the world around us. Since then the objectives and the tone have shifted rather drastically, with us fending off a Cthulhu SWAT team and jumping worlds, so I am not even sure what genre it is now.

Something more along the lines of a traditional PnP RPG. Or, more specifically, like Fallout, with an emphasis on interacting with the world: multiple towns, factions, side quests, etc.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember many quests that do this - throw a limited cast in a closed system completely unfamiliar to them, and have them figure out what kind of stuation they are in through the evidence scatttered around, only directly interacting with objects, books and notes, and trying to build a picture from that. I can name Questionably Soteriological and Wake Up (that went on a hiatus without properly starting)... and then I am drawing a blank. Don't know why adventure/puzzle games don't get more love. Maybe I'm just bad at finding them? That said, it does appear that the quest is entering a different, more open-ended phase.

The voting structure and lore-heaviness was, perhaps, the very thing that appealed to me, as I didn't see action bloat before, so I was fairly impressed by a complexity the quest had from the get go. But then, I am a fan of complexity I can understand, because the second thing that appealed to me was the Notes&References section. On the other hand it was a turn-off for a few other voters, so perhaps it is for the best that it got steamlined.

I'm glad I succeeded at this. I wanted to convey that the Springwell Siblings have stumbled into the epilogue of a much larger story. I wanted for there to be a feel of accumulated history.

The mechanics... if you didn't mention you were using GURPS, no one would have guessed it's there.

I was leery of even bringing it up because I feared the readers would demand to see 'the numbers.' As it stands now, the visible character sheets are there to offer a ballpark idea of relative skills.

I support veekie's notion that players are mostly indifferent to mechanics as long as it does not get in the way of storytelling, and it was definitely irrelevant to the story you were making. It's not a combat-heavy dungeon crawler, after all.

The quest certainly can be combat heavy, if it comes to that. But I hope it doesn't. GURPS can brutal when it comes to violence.

I am not certain about the future of the story, though. The previous quest and vote format worked because the setting was finite and confined to the Mansion and its immediate surroundings. There was a limited number of rooms to explore, a limited number of books to read and phenomena to research. It worked fine when we explored the tiny reality of our house we could affect, and the vast lore of the two or more alternate worlds we couldn't interact with. Now that we got to one of these worlds, I have no idea where to start and how to proceed, and what kind of quest it will shape up to be. Some changes will probably have to be implemented in order to support a genre shift towards an open world exploration. We probably won't be able to afford to pay as much attention to small details if we want the quest to get anywhere in a reasonable timeframe.

I imagine future chapters will include phrases such as 'For the next few days, you . . .' and 'A week passes, and . . .' There'll still be small details in the story, but they'll be focused where they're needed.

I am not sure there are general norms to compare your quest to. Most of them are fairly different. But perhaps now that we have a set and easily understandable goal of 'get back to our world', and the clearly defined means 'learn runeology' and 'repair the Witchboard' it will drift towards a more standard quest formula.

One of the possible scenarios was 'Disperse the Fog, leave the mansion, everything is fine.' This wouldn't necessarily mean the quest was 'won,' though it certainly could be seen as a stopping point. I suppose the Siblings could driven to Vegas and use Maribel to cheat at Roulette . . . .

On the other hand, there would have been loose plot threads to explore, though it depends on whether the readers would care to pursue them.

So, it's been almost two weeks now since the survey closed... I'm guessing from the way that @Cetashwayo immediately started churning out updates to the point of burnout in STTS and his statements about that, there were a lot of comments about maintaining momentum and keeping the quest alive, but I'm curious as to whether there were any other general trends in the responses that weren't as immediately obvious from an observer's viewpoint?

Back