Amazon's Invincible - " Earth isn't yours to conquer."

With the season finale coming out next Friday, I'd thought I would make a thread on this.

If you don't know anything about Invincible, it revolves around Mark Grayson, whose dad, Nolan Grayson, is Omni-Man, the most powerful superhero on a planet that is a mish-mash of every strange superhero comic element that's been invented over the past few decades. Mark soon develops powers of his own and becomes the superhero known as Invincible.

I think the thing that strikes me most about this adaptation is about the radical changes they make from the comic. It's telling that some of the best moments this season are scenes that are entirely new or distinctly altered from how they play out in the original material. It's not to say that the material needed editing on the level that the Boys needed, but, it's easier to make a shitty adaptation of good source material than arguably a greater adaptation of the source material.

Yo, episode 7 was wild. Like holy shit.

Actually every episode ends with me going with holy shit.

Damn. What a great show.

I'm waiting for the season finale to reveal that Omni Man's reasons for his actions are just really, really because he just so desperately wants pictures of Spider Man.

A good adaption. I haven't read the comic in a while, but any changes I've noticed seem to be for the better. Mostly just setting stuff up more

I decided to watch the first episode on a whim after seeing this thread, looks pretty nice and pleasant, it pays a lot of attention to the details, and it has heart like we haven't we seen beOH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK HOLY SHIT SON OF A MOTHERFUCK

Can confirm this is both a great adaption and a great story in its own right. An effective cast, creative writers and hardwork have all combined to create something amazing.

Episode 7 was, indeed, fucking crazy. Or as the youth say, kino. Depriving us of a mid-credits scene was very evil.

Up until that episode, I think my favorite episode had been episode 5, with the shift in perspective and the twist ending.

One random thing I also like is the diversity of the show. Mark is Asian-American, his best friend is gay, and his love interest is (or rather was) black. Another small thing is the evolving title card getting bloodier and bloodier. It never gets old.

Trying to shove in but "Invincible" in every title card is really hard it seems.

Episode 7 went for six minutes without one. I think that's a record.

Episode 7 was, indeed, fucking crazy. Or as the youth say, kino. Depriving us of a mid-credits scene was very evil.

Up until that episode, I think my favorite episode had been episode 5, with the shift in perspective and the twist ending.

One random thing I also like is the diversity of the show. Mark is Asian-American, his best friend is gay, and his love interest is (or rather was) black. Another small thing is the evolving title card getting bloodier and bloodier. It never gets old.
IIRC, the comic was a lot less diverse. The show changed some character's ethnicity so that all the characters and performers matched

I decided to watch the first episode on a whim after seeing this thread, looks pretty nice and pleasant, it pays a lot of attention to the details, and it has heart like we haven't we seen beOH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK HOLY SHIT SON OF A MOTHERFUCK

I DO kinda feel they rushed the Omni-man reveal, but.... *shrug*

Omni-Man gives me big Walter White vibes in his total inability to stay chill and composed and non-suspicious about his evil double life once the jig is even slightly up.

Last edited:
The cartoon is so much better than the comic it's almost unreal. Everyone gets real characterization, they do "Mark is a fuckup" way better than the latter arc in the comics which tried to do so, and even voice actors I wasn't entirely sold on at first really came together. There's a similar issue to the comics where the power level bounces around a bit and it's tough to get a feel for fights, but it functions okay at a thematic level so I'm mostly fine with it?

The breakout stars are Rex and Amber; the former went from not having much beyond being generic asshole to being an absolutely delightful asshole, and the latter (who had zero characterization in the comics) is too damn good for anyone on the show.

The Omni-man reveal was also at the end of volume 1, but improved in the anime.
This I think is actually one of the weakest parts of the show; the original comic was 3 pages, entirely of post fight, with two showing the dead guardians and one of Omni-Man to reveal it. This just functioned so much better than the drawn out gory fight? You'd probably need to tweak it to keep with the new plotline based on it, but the actual beatdown was one of the weaker parts of the show and felt kind of "take that" at people who thought any other comic book hero could fight Superman.

Last edited:
Holy shit, when people get fucked up on this show, they get fucked up like I've never seen. It's absolutely horrifying to an almost traumatic level but also exhilarating. Every villain I've seen yet (episode 5) is actually intimidating because for most comics, you kind of just get the feeling that they can't do anything, all their fights with superheroes feel almost like kayfabe, but I completely get the impression that they would and could murder the shit out of heroes.

Love the series so far and my favorite characters are the Mauler Twins so far. They are a delight whenever they get screen time.

This I think is actually one of the weakest parts of the show; the original comic was 3 pages, entirely of post fight, with two showing the dead guardians and one of Omni-Man to reveal it. This just functioned so much better than the drawn out gory fight? You'd probably need to tweak it to keep with the new plotline based on it, but the actual beatdown was one of the weaker parts of the show and felt kind of "take that" at people who thought any other comic book hero could fight Superman.

First, why are we talking about this without spoilers?

I can't disagree with this more. Omni-Man wins that fight by a hair's breadth. He nearly fucking died, their attacks actually affected him heavily, and was in a coma for several days.

We actually do see Superman fight his teammates like a lot, whenever he's been brainwashed or part of teaching them some tactical lesson. Not only is he way more dominant in those fights, often toying with them, but that is 100% what I and I think everyone unfamiliar with the comic thought the show was going with it. Like, there was no blood or anything in the fights before and the show was just so wholesome, I thought it was going to be a slightly more gritty Young Justice, and we just got really introduced to those heroes as characters.

As we start to see blood in the fight and the characters in such pain, those who don't know beforehand, are going "woah this is getting pretty bad. Lighten up Omni-Man, stop the training exercise" with a nervous laugh. But then when he begins to fucking crush Red Rush's fucking skull, we know that we just got tricked into a whole different ass fucking show. We think at least most of them are going to survive, they'll take him down on focus on trying to reverse his brainwash, but as soon as one of them die, we see the only logical thing that can happen: the odds are stacked against them and there's no turning back. Which ties into the shows whole attention to detail and logic.

If I had only seen the aftermath, I just what have what the fucked but just out of sheer confusion of the edginess, not in a good way but in a GOT Season 8 way. To actually see it unfold though is somehow way different even if it's technically just the same thing. You can see the sheer look of disgust in his eyes at these fucking "heroes" have the nerve to be alive near him, and the determination in his eyes as he works to correct it.

First, why are we talking about this without spoilers?

I can't disagree with this more. Omni-Man wins that fight by a hair's breadth. He nearly fucking died, their attacks actually affected him heavily, and was in a coma for several days.

We actually do see Superman fight his teammates like a lot, whenever he's been brainwashed or part of teaching them some tactical lesson. Not only is he way more dominant in those fights, often toying with them, but that is 100% what I and I think everyone unfamiliar with the comic thought the show was going with it. Like, there was no blood or anything in the fights before and the show was just so wholesome, I thought it was going to be a slightly more gritty Young Justice, and we just got really introduced to those heroes as characters.

As we start to see blood in the fight and the characters in such pain, those who don't know beforehand, are going "woah this is getting pretty bad. Lighten up Omni-Man, stop the training exercise" with a nervous laugh. But then when he begins to fucking crush Red Rush's fucking skull, we know that we just got tricked into a whole different ass fucking show. We think at least most of them are going to survive, they'll take him down on focus on trying to reverse his brainwash, but as soon as one of them die, we see the only logical thing that can happen: the odds are stacked against them and there's no turning back. Which ties into the shows whole attention to detail and logic.

If I had only seen the aftermath, I just what have what the fucked but just out of sheer confusion of the edginess, not in a good way but in a GOT Season 8 way. To actually see it unfold though is somehow way different even if it's technically just the same thing. You can see the sheer look of disgust in his eyes at these fucking "heroes" have the nerve to be alive near him, and the determination in his eyes as he works to correct it.
Normally I figure a month is fine for spoils but point taken

I think the fight did what it needed to do for the show in terms of setting up that this was going to be something different; the turn comes maybe 3 issues into the comic instead of the first issue after all so it has time to build up that this is less traditional there. But it also lasts way too long and is just gory for the sake of it; the only ones who actually make Omni-Man work for it are his fellow powerhouse expies and it's just kind of gratuitous to drag the whole thing out otherwise.

So one thing this show (and the comic it is based on) did really well is, well I'd like to coin the term "Superheroic Realism".

What I mean by that is the show is still very much a superhero story, with all that entails. It's not like, say, The Boys which goes out of its way to subvert the idea of superheroics, like, it is still fundamentally a superhero story and it keeps those same genre conceits.

But at the same time, it interrogates a lot of what that means. A good example of this is that it doesn't shy away from just how deadly superstrength actually is as a power or how (in my favorite moment in the show) Omni-man tells Mark that because they can fly they always have leverage and that the can push off the air when they fight.

Watched this, love it. To add to what other posters have been saying, I love the way that durability is shown to be such an awesome power. At the end of the day shrugging off damage really does matter. Love it.

Random trivia: Kirkman originally wanted to do a run on DC's Superboy. Sadly DC had no interest at the time, so he tweaked it a bit and... here we are.

I'm just going to make my guess here. Do NOT tell me if I'm right or wrong if you know, don't even rate it.

It absolutely has to do something about being a Vikrumite and what their society is like. It started after Mark got his powers, so it probably has something to do with being able to interbreed with the locals and them still gets powers, maybe they're dying as a race and something about Earth gives them the chance to reconstruct it. Perhaps they're a colonial society, and Omni Man needed to show that he was in control so they wouldn't send an army to absolutely devastate Earth like he did with those aliens.

Possible contradictory evidence: First, "Earth isn't for you to conquer." If they pull a "nooo, WE get too muahaha", it comes across as kind of dumb. Perhaps that lends more credence to the dying race theory. Second, Martians did not dispute what he said about the Vikrumites being nice good people, although they didn't say anything to support it, still if someone said "As, you know the Nazis are protecting the galaxy", you'd go wtf. Third, Alien Seth Rogan not mentioning anything about it despite the whole coalition to protect planets going on, and would have realized that there was a Vikrumite here.

I'm just going to make my guess here. Do NOT tell me if I'm right or wrong if you know, don't even rate it.

It absolutely has to do something about being a Vikrumite and what their society is like. It started after Mark got his powers, so it probably has something to do with being able to interbreed with the locals and them still gets powers, maybe they're dying as a race and something about Earth gives them the chance to reconstruct it. Perhaps they're a colonial society, and Omni Man needed to show that he was in control so they wouldn't send an army to absolutely devastate Earth like he did with those aliens.

Possible contradictory evidence: First, "Earth isn't for you to conquer." If they pull a "nooo, WE get too muahaha", it comes across as kind of dumb. Perhaps that lends more credence to the dying race theory. Second, Martians did not dispute what he said about the Vikrumites being nice good people, although they didn't say anything to support it, still if someone said "As, you know the Nazis are protecting the galaxy", you'd go wtf. Third, Alien Seth Rogan not mentioning anything about it despite the whole coalition to protect planets going on, and would have realized that there was a Vikrumite here.
No comment on your theor, but it's Viltrumite, not Vikrumite

I spoiled myself on Invincible years ago, so I know about the big twist. However, I pretty much know nothing about the rest of it, so I'm looking forward to upcoming seasons.

Back