Allansfirebird's Art Thread

2023-08-20
Drawing 416 / 2023 Artwork 89: Sumi Sakurasawa from Kanojo, Okarishimasu.
[IMG]

Drawing 417 / 2023 Artwork 90: Kanan from Kanan-sama wa Akumade Choroi.
[IMG]

Drawing 418 / 2023 Artwork 91: Duck Dodgers in the 24th and Three-Quarters Century.
[IMG]

Drawing 419 / 2023 Artwork 92: Earthforce Captain Yurika Misumaru was there... at the dawning of the third age of mankind.
[IMG]

Song 1 / 2023 Composition 1: Spent the week putting together the main title theme for EVA-Trek, essentially taking the track "Ambassadrice Rouge" and putting it through a Dennis McCarthy filter.

Last edited:
2023-08-27
Drawing 420 / 2023 Artwork 93: Kicking off the weekend with a relaxing Misato.
[IMG]

Drawing 421 / 2023 Artwork 94: A quickie drawing of TAS-style Uhura.
[IMG]

Drawing 422 / 2023 Artwork 95: Ensign D'Vana Tendi, but anime-styled. I also used the live-action version of the Lower Decks uniform for the basis of the design I used here.
[IMG]

On a supplementary note, I was able to figure out the tech issues I'd been having with my music mixing software, which enabled me to upload a new mix of the EVA-Trek main title theme. Check out the updated link in the previous post! I think it sounds infinitely better than before - less tinny, and I sweetened some of the percussion, too. Next up will be a cut-down version to use as EVA-Trek's end credits theme. Maybe I'll also toss the 90's CBS/Viacom fanfare at the end to really make it authentic :hugegrin:

2023-09-03
Drawing 423 / 2023 Artwork 96: Ensign Boimler, hard at work.
[IMG]

Drawing 424 / 2023 Artwork 97: Gintama's Elizabeth weighs in on one of the most hot-button topics of the 24th century.
[IMG]

Drawing 425 / 2023 Artwork 98: Earthforce Lieutenant Miku Nakano. I'd originally intended drawing Miku in the "army of light" uniform from the latter seasons of Babylon 5, but then realized it would end up looking like a dark blob on the page. Besides, I'm kinda partial to this uniform anyway.
[IMG]

2023-09-17
Drawing 429 / 2023 Artwork 102: A 40-minute drawing of Kyoko Otonashi from Maison Ikkoku.
[IMG]

Drawing 430 / 2023 Artwork 103: Lieutenant Junior Grade Asuka L. Soryu of the USS Nerv.
[IMG]

Drawing 431 / 2023 Artwork 104: Power and Meowy from Chainsaw Man.
[IMG]

Song 2 / 2023 Composition 2: The EVA-Trek commercial bumper fanfare, which combines Alexander Courage's signature Star Trek fanfare with "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" from Evangelion. In future episodes, this will be placed between acts two and three.

Song 3 / 2023 Composition 3: The EVA-Trek end title theme and credit sequence. This was a fun one to put together, doing some slight reorchestrations of the main theme, and coming up with the title cards. I threw something fun in towards the end that 90's Trek fans might appreciate.

2023-09-24
Bit of a busy week for me - as such, there was only enough time for a couple drawings. On the plus side, it's looking fairly likely I'll have at least seven episodes of EVA-Trek in a releasable condition by the time the WGA strike ends... which seems like that's gonna be any day now.

Drawing 432 / 2023 Artwork 105: Tsukuyo from Gintama in a bit of a minimalist artstyle.
[IMG]

Drawing 433 / 2023 Artwork 106: Family Guy's Peter Griffin looks how I feel after I realized I'll be entering my late 30's in the next few days...
[IMG]

2023-10-01
Feeling a tad bit burnt-out this week... as such, I'm not 100% happy with the drawings I did. I might be ramping down to just a single drawing a week, mainly because I've gotta start prepping EVA-Trek to post twice a month beginning October 13th since the writer's strike is over.

Drawing 434 / 2023 Artwork 107: Garfield, who's been my spirit animal since I was a kid.
[IMG]

Drawing 435 / 2023 Artwork 108: Lt. J.G. D'Vana Tendi. I wanted to experiment with more dynamic poses, but I'm not totally sure it came out how I was hoping.
[IMG]

2023-10-15
A very sparse week at Studio Firebird, unfortunately, with just a single drawing due to other factors... including being down nearly all of yesterday thanks to the new Covid booster. That little bastard wiped me out for almost a full 24 hours on my major weekly drawing day.

Before that, however, I was finally able to bring EVA-Trek back in service, now that the writer's strike has concluded. Now that I've created opening/closing themes, and a custom Galaxy-class version of the Paramount+ Trek franchise bumper, new episodes should feel like you're sitting down to watch a real episode. I'm so glad I've started posting the series on Ao3, which allows for me to create the audio/visual experience I've always had in my head: EVA-Trek 1x13 - "Lonely As You"

Drawing 438 / 2023 Artwork 111: Eiai Nano from The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You.
[IMG]

2023-10-29
Short and sweet this week with just one drawing, a tie-in to the latest episode of EVA-Trek, "Learn to Fly."

Drawing 441 / 2023 Artwork 114: Scene 19A, INT. TRAINING ENTRY PLUG (OPTICAL), take 3. Crewman Kensuke Aida confidently learns the ropes before his Eva, the USS Matsushiro, is delivered to the USS Nerv for shakedown cruise and initial flight checks.
[IMG]

2023-11-12
Managed to carve out some time for a couple drawings after finishing getting episode 15 of EVA-Trek, Friend of a Friend, released this week.

Drawing 444 / 2023 Artwork 117: When this drawing gets up to 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

Drawing 445 / 2023 Artwork 118: Yor Forger, the Thorn Princess, from Spy x Family.

2023-11-26
Honestly surprised I managed to find the energy for these two drawings this weekend. I've been plowing full speed ahead on finishing the last of the script outlines for EVA-Trek, and that's been taking up a considerable amount of my time of late. On the bright side, I'll lock down the last two episodes in the coming week. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Also on the EVA-Trek front, I'm kinda interested in getting someone to make renders of a Galaxy-class starship with the USS Nerv livery on it, as well as a fellow illustrator to take some of the load off my shoulders as I bring the series in for a landing over the next few months.

Drawing 448 / 2023 Artwork 121
: A quick sketch of Kelvin Timeline Kirk from Star Trek Beyond because I realized that the Kelvin uniforms were the only Starfleet variants I haven't drawn before.
[IMG]

Drawing 449 / 2023 Artwork 122: Provisional Lieutenant J.G. T'Lyn from Lower Decks, but anime style.
[IMG]

Drawing 376 / 2023 Artwork 49: Speaking of EVA-Trek, here's some concept sketches for a possible future for Lt. J.G. Rei Ayanami in the Dominion War-era uniform, should I ever get crazy enough to write a second season. Also playing with Rei growing her hair out a little, to see what it would look like.
[IMG]

I like this style for Rei. It's nice to see her with partially grown out hair, rather than either NGE short or very long.

This week's offerings are a pair of concept art for the next episode of EVA-Trek (coming 2023.12.08), where I created a new alien race called the Brenlaui, a xenophobic culture who live in the far regions of the Alpha Quadrant, beyond the extents of Cardassian and Federation space.

Drawing 450 / 2023 Artwork 123: A Brenlaui Cruiser, done in the style of a John Eaves sketch. Embracing the tradition of reusing existing ship models in the Berman era, I repurposed the Miradorn Theta-class Raider as the basic design. From there, I made little tweaks and changes, including outboard warp nacelles. In-universe, the Brenlaui are approximately technologically equal to the Federation.
[IMG]

Drawing 451 / 2023 Artwork 124: Iretalcs, a Prelate of the Brenlaui Empire. Brenlaui are very tall, essentially anthropomorphic penguins. The basic face design comes from the Erect-Crested Penguin. Iretalcs' costume design has ecclesiastical notes, with vibrant colors meant to echo the costume designs of William Ware Theiss.
[IMG]

Drawing 398 / 2023 Artwork 71: Ensign Rei Ayanami, USS Nerv. Decided to dig out my Prismacolors for this one. It was certainly much more time-consuming than my usual copic marker color drawings, but I think the final results were worth it.
[IMG]
Were this on an NGE enthusiast Discord, this artwork would totally get pinned.

Though, I agree with gloomy-moods' remarks about hair length.
For what it's worth, there was a collaborative between Anno and folks at Sunrise to make the SBY 2199 (reboot from the 1970s SBY/Star Blazers), you may have watched it. I just like how they styled "Rei".
Drawing 414 / 2023 Artwork 87: Plain, simple Garak.
[IMG]
I don't care what anybody else thinks, this here is Gendo. Make it so, Allansfirebird!
(Of course, this would make Shinji a very handsome half-Card ensign... )

Were this on an NGE enthusiast Discord, this artwork would totally get pinned.

Though, I agree with gloomy-moods' remarks about hair length.
For what it's worth, there was a collaborative between Anno and folks at Sunrise to make the SBY 2199 (reboot from the 1970s SBY/Star Blazers), you may have watched it. I just like how they styled "Rei".
I've actually figured out a shoulder-length hairstyle for Rei that I think will really work for her, and will also play into some future development for her in my series. Just need to do some sketches to make sure it looks like how I'm hoping. Kinda funny that I realized I've drawn Rei the most among all the pilots.

I don't care what anybody else thinks, this here is Gendo. Make it so, Allansfirebird!
(Of course, this would make Shinji a very handsome half-Card ensign... )
Funny you say that, because I drew Fuyutsuki once in Cardassian makeup in a sketch of anime-styled Star Trek aliens. Also Maya as an Andorian and Gendo as a Klingon. I might've posted it somewhere in this thread.

I've actually figured out a shoulder-length hairstyle for Rei that I think will really work for her, and will also play into some future development for her in my series. Just need to do some sketches to make sure it looks like how I'm hoping. Kinda funny that I realized I've drawn Rei the most among all the pilots.

I look forward to seeing it.

And more Rei is Amore.

(and I can't believe no one has done an AMV for
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnFlx2Lnr9Q, where are all the Rei fans with video editing skills?)

Helluva week at Studio Firebird! Episode 17 of EVA-Trek went up on Friday, and I think it's got some of the best writing I've ever done. It's the closest I've gotten to writing a real Star Trek: TNG story. Beyond that, I completed first draft scripts for three episodes within the span of a few days - one-hundred and fifty-five pages!

After cooling off my overclocked brain, I worked on a couple of illustrations this weekend:

Drawing 452 / 2023 Artwork 125: Mihoshi Kuramitsu from Tenchi Muyo.
[IMG]

Drawing 453 / 2023 Artwork 126: Lt. J.G. Asuka L. Soryu and Acting Ensign Shinji Ikari pose for a publicity photo on the set of EVA-Trek.
[IMG]

I refound one of the reference pictures: 綾波ヘアアレンジ
though anything that shows her ears just looks wrong to me for some reason.

Back