Not like a diversion would work on Kyouko either...though I suppose confirming it's Mars' first day out, first fight EVER, probably could help excuse it.

Vote tally:
##### 3.21
[X] Mediate between the girls.
-[X] Mention that Sailor Mars' magic should not be capable of harming normal humans. Has she been modified? Perhaps by that invisible creature?
No. of votes: 3
veekie
Gnarker
wingstrike96
No. of votes: 1
King Arthur
-[X] Don't talk about Mars' fire only burning evil or anything.
-[X] Just point out that Mars was trying to help Kyoko because she was concerned for Kyoko's safety, and that fortunately there was no lasting harm done, and we have all learned a lesson.
--[X] In fact, this is primary evidence that we need to spend time practicing combat together so we can make sure that no one gets hurt in the real thing. Kyoko, you have a lot of experience, would you like to pick the first training session topic?
No. of votes: 2
Elder Haman
Matou Sutegobana

Also noting that Luna does already know that things have happened to Kyoko's body.

-[X] Mention that Sailor Mars' magic should not be capable of harming normal humans. Apparently whatever modifications were done to her render her susceptible to it, something that we didn't think to check for beforehand.

Right. Vote changed. Thanks for pointing that out, @tygerbright.

-[X] Mention that Sailor Mars' magic should not be capable of harming normal humans. Apparently whatever modifications were done to her render her susceptible to it, something that we didn't think to check for beforehand.

Going to keep the votes open until Wednesday. Is it bad that I want the write in that makes it easier for me to transition to the next scene to win?
Also I'm getting a strangely great amount of joy whenever I see some analysis or discussion going on here.

-[X] Don't talk about Mars' fire only burning evil or anything.
-[X] Just point out that Mars was trying to help Kyoko because she was concerned for Kyoko's safety, and that fortunately there was no lasting harm done, and we have all learned a lesson.
--[X] In fact, this is primary evidence that we need to spend time practicing combat together so we can make sure that no one gets hurt in the real thing. Kyoko, you have a lot of experience, would you like to pick the first training session topic?

Was going to close the vote but it looks like there is a tie... if the tie isn't broken by tomorrow evening I'll break it myself.

[] Mediate between the girls.
-[] Don't talk about Mars' fire only burning evil or anything.
-[] Just point out that Mars was trying to help Kyoko because she was concerned for Kyoko's safety, and that fortunately there was no lasting harm done, and we have all learned a lesson.
--[] In fact, this is primary evidence that we need to spend time practicing combat together so we can make sure that no one gets hurt in the real thing. Kyoko, you have a lot of experience, would you like to pick the first training session topic?

Wins, update should be Friday evening or sometime on Saturday.

12. Training set up.
'Those two are already at each other's throats. I need to diffuse this before it escalates.'

The two girls fail to notice your approach. It takes slamming Spaltbeil's haft into the floor to capture their attention. With their deadlock broken they both turn to you and start talk at the same time.

"She shot-"
" -I was just trying-"
" -I could have-"

"Both of you stop talking!" you shout over the pair. You take a deep breath and return to your normal tone before continuing, "I want to know what happened. You can each tell me your side of the story, just one at a time."

"She shot that thing while it was grabbing me, and nearly set me on fire!" Kyoko practically growls.

"It was trying to eat her and I had to do something make it let her go. I...knew my other spell would definitely hurt them both so I used one of my Ofuda. I don't know why the flames also went for Sakura-san."

'It could have something to do with what happened to Kyoko's soul…' The thought comes to you but you dismiss it as too inflammatory before speaking. "Kyoko, Sailor Mars was trying to help you because she was concerned for your safety she wasn't trying to hurt you. Mars, you- no we all need to spend time practicing combat together so we can make sure that we don't accidentally hurt each other. In fact we should head back to the base and do so right now, Kyoko you have a fair bit of experience, would you care to pick the first training session topic? Unless anyone has something else to say we should head out."

Kyoko grumbles slightly at your decision, "Yeah, how the hell do you know my name?" she asks, turning back at Sailor Mars.

You interject before Rie has a chance to answer, "Sailor Mars, the disguise field. It should be safe now, you can drop the transformation."

In a flash of light Rei's Sailor uniform disappears revealing her grey and black school uniform. Kyoko's eyes go wide as she finally registers Mars' true identity. " Hino-san, I guess that makes sense, you always were kinda strange." Kyoko says with a grin, as she dispels her own transformation.

"Anyway, Luna the two of us should be in school right now, so-" Rei begins, before Kyoko interrupts her.

"I don't need that school, and I so sure you can survive missing an hour or two. Or do you want to get hurt when I do something with my spear?"

You nod in agreement as Rei lets out a sigh of defeat, "You had better tell me what happened to you since you disappeared last year."

The walk back to the secret base is uneventful beyond the two girls trading remarks and Kyoko suddenly stumbling as she enters the shrine. You open up the base in a slightly different configuration, the computers and screens are hidden away leaving an open arena suitable for sparing and training. You should be also able to generate some hardlight targets from Artemis's systems.

"You said that I could pick what we do right? So how about some close quarters combat." Kyoko says, as she stretches her arms above her head.

Current Status

Luna
HP 100/100
Mana 1290/2000

Rei
HP 90/90
Mana 800/1100
9 Ofuda

Kyoko
Grief 18.675%
Mana 0

[] Have Rei and Kyoko work together to take you down.
[] Do a set of spars, rotating so everyone can observe how the others fight.
[] Set up an opponent for the three of you to fight.

(I had most of this written out Saturday... but I couldn't make a solid direction for the training scene. )

Last edited:
[X] Do a set of spars, rotating so everyone can observe how the others fight.

Rei and Kyoko can't work together if they have no idea what their fighting styles are.

Edit: Added Elder Haman's idea from below. Don't won't to appear like I'm taking credit for it or anything.

-[X] Take the first spar with Kyouko yourself. Better let her work off some aggression before pairing her up with Mars.

Last edited:
-[X] Take the first spar with Kyouko yourself. Better let her work off some aggression before pairing her up with Mars.

13. Sparing.
You activate Spaltbeil and your Knight's Grab and casually walk into the center of the arena. "Kyoko, I'll take the first fight." The red head nods with the slightest hesitation, "I'll be holding back a bit, but feel free to go as far as you like." At this prodding the Puella Magi leaps into the ring, transforming as she lands. "We begin on Rei's count of three."

"One"
Kyoko's eyes glint as she twirls her spear.
"Two"
You rest your ax in easy two handed grip.
"Three"

In a burst of motion Kyoko surges forward thrusting her spear at your navel, or rather where it would be. As she moves forward you take a step back and catch the head of her spear against beard of Spaltbeil with an upwards jerk you deflect the attack up and around simultaneously breaking her momentum and stance. You follow up with a quick circular slice at her back foot. For an instant the blow is blocked by Kyoko's spear shaft, as she slides under your ax and her spear separates into chain segments. You have enough time to realize that her chains have wrapped around your ankles before she tugs and your legs are pulled out from under you. As you fall you twist and manage to land on the tips of your toes and your haunches.

"Is this until knockdown or submission?" Rei calls out from the sidelines

"Submission!" The you and Kyoko cry out as one.

Kyoko extends her spear and spins it, yanking you into the air. She then leaps high above you and dives down spear first, as she descends you kick your legs out forcing her to retract her chains. At the last second you both move, you raise Spaltbeil in a guard, but she changes her attack spinning so that the head of her spear impacts your side. The blow knocks you away and you bound once against the hard floor, your Knight's Garb drains some of your mana replenishing your defenses.Standing back up you go back on the offensive, charging at Kyoko. She swings her spear in a wild arc so that the head snakes around behind you, but you put a stop to that as you smash the face of your ax into the spear's chain. Closing the distance you go for a low swing at her legs. She leaps back but you match her pace and barge your shoulder into her face. She staggers back already retracting her spear for another attack. As she swings you step forward and lock the shafts of your weapons the two of you clash in a contest of pure strength which suddenly ends as you let go of Spaltbeil. You slip forward striking Kyoko as she overbalances knocking her to the ground. Before she can right herself you descend upon her pinning her to the ground and placing your hands against her neck. She struggles trying to kick you off, but as it soon proves to be futile.

"Fine, you win." Kyoko says with a sigh of defeat.

You get off her and extend a hand to help her up, " You fought well, had fought when I was your age you would have won almost certainly." She grasps your hand and pulls herself to her feet.

"Yeah yeah. Hino you're up!." Kyoko shouts as she walks off to the side of the arena.

You nod as Rie walks into the center, "On Kyoko's three." you say as you retrieve Spaltbeil.

"Ready… THREE!"

Rei is caught off guard by the sudden start, so you immediately press the attack with a diagonal cut. Acting instinctively she dives out of the way and rolls into a crouching position. You don't let up the attack and with each swing you force Rei back until finally she finds herself up against one of the room's outer pillars. As you begin a rising slash she suddenly jumps and springs off of the pillar and as she lands she delivers a rapid trio of palm strikes into your back. It isn't enough to stagger you let alone break your guard. You spin around and catch her leg with your ax just as she dashes back.

Rei looks down at her leg, her uncut and almost unharmed leg with disbelief. "Right, magic powers." she mutters to herself.

Reinvigorated by this discovery she rushes forward, you swing to intercept her. She catches the blade between her hands, you grin, with a sudden twist of your ax around Rie is sent flying. She lands with a thud, you walk over to where she lies and as you lean down to check on her she suddenly lashes out kicking you square in the jaw. As you reel back she leaps to her feet and and begins a flurry of punches and kicks. You flow back with the blows until finally she makes a mistake, she steps too close to you as she goes for a palm strike and you grab ahold of her in a tight bear hug.

"I submit."

You release Rei, "That was a fine showing for your second fight. How do you feel, do you need a break or are you ready to fight Kyoko?"

"Right now I should have at least a few broken bones, but I feel… incredible. So, yes I'm ready."

As you walk off to the side Kyoko walks past you finishing off a piece of Rocky.

You nod to yourself as the two girls face each other down at the center, "One, two, three! Begin!" you cry out.

Kyoko begins the fight by extending her spear in a thrust. Rei jumps over the attack and lands directly on the spear head. A wild swing forces her to jump off which she uses to launch herself into a diving one legged kick. Kyoko blocks the dive with her spear and with a push drives Rei back. With a quick twirl Kyoko's spear is sent in a wild arc slashing at Rei but cutting nothing. Suddenly the two girls each burst into motion as Rei charges and Kyoko leaps into the air. Whip-like chains entangle Rei just as she grabs ahold of Kyoko's leg both girls come crashing to the ground in a tangled heap,and blows are exchanged as the two struggle for dominance. Eventually they both come to a stop, too tangled by chains for either to move.

"So, are you going to release these chains?" Rei finally asks.

"You might actually win if I do that."

Silence passes between the girls until Kyoko finally breaks as her stomach growls. "I give" The chains fade away and the girls pick themselves off the floor.

"I'm hungry, let's grab something to eat" Kyoko grumbles, already walking out of the base.

A few minutes later you are sitting in a rear booth of a nearby Don restaurant.

"So what did each of you learn?" You ask of the girls.

"You're a… badass with an ax… and Rei's… good at dodging… and hard to hurt." Kyoko says, speaking between mouthfuls.

"You open with straightforward attacks but also use spontaneous actions as you adapt to the fight. Sakura-san prefers close to mid ranges were her spear and chains are most effective. The area of effect on my spells might be a problem with either of you in close quarters. Also, I should not expect my opponent to wait for me to ready before attacking and even if something doesn't hurt me, doesn't mean I can't be thrown around by it." Rei responds, actually thinking about the spars.

You nod with approval at Rei, prompting a small smug grin. A lull falls over the conversation as you all eat.

"Sakura-san, are you planning on paying for all of that yourself?" Rei asks as Kyoko begins her third bowl.

The redhead's goes stock still as Rei's grin becomes positively vulpine.

"I could pay for you, but I'm curious why you suddenly disappeared from school."

"Well I want to know something about Miss Moon Knight over there but you don't see you see me holding her food hostage just to ask."

You sigh, 'It seems that it is in the natures of these two to squabble'. "I could share a story from my life." your comment disarms Kyoko and immediately captures Rei's attention.

Tell them...
[] Something from your youth on Mau
[] A tale from your training on Belka
[] An account of the Moon Kingdom.
[] The Story of how your Ax go its name, here on Earth.

While all of those sound interesting...

[X] A tale from your training on Belka

... might interest both Kyouko and Rei, since it pertains to Luna's fighting style.

[X] An account of the Moon Kingdom.

I know, the boring, classic choice, but it's the most plot relevant!

There is a reason Luna is always trying to tell the girls about it.

Back