A New Age of Content Discovery: Tag Rework!

Regarding this, how does one tag characters with multiple names/personas due to either translation or just having an alter ego?

Alter egos would depend on how people were using it in practice as to whether we keep them separate or synonymise them or do a small parent/child hierarchy, for translation conventions you can just tag whichever you prefer, as we notice over time and use we'll synonymise them to each other.

I am not seeing the filters nor any way to unhide them. Can someone please show a screenshot of where these things are supposed to be?

Filter by title is an option for tag wranglers and not general users as it is significantly more expensive computational wise. It does not use the search system, and instead uses a raw SQL like match on the title, which just scales horrible.

A behavior I've noticed is that if I'm in a thread and decide that I want to read more about something, if I scroll to the top of the thread and click its specific tag to find other threads that have the same tag it will only display threads that both have that tag and are in the same "lowest level" sub-forum as the thread in which I clicked the tag, regardless of which forum I found the thread in.

As a random example that was near the top of UF when I was typing this: if I'm looking through UF, open and read some of Fluid Pestilence (Sci-Fi, LitRPG), and decide that I would like to read more transhumanism stories, if I click that tag I will be given a list of all threads tagged "transhumanism" specifically in OF (the sub-forum beneath UF that Fluid Pestilence is in) and UOF (which I have set to aggregate with OF).

So despite not doing anything anything to imply that I'm looking for original works only, browsing UF instead of OF and filtering by a tag that should be setting agnostic and not matter whether it's an original story, the tagging system has effectively filtered out anything that's not original too. Since it's searching the OF sub-forum and not an "original" tag, I can't just remove a tag from the filter to display non-OF threads. And AFAICT there isn't an easy way to say "keep these tag filters but go up a forum level," so if I wanted to look for transhumanism stories in UF as a whole I would have to click back to it, find the tag within the drop down in the filter box, and then filter threads.

Another option would be to just navigate back to UF and click the tag on the thread there, except that in this case the "transhumanism" tag is not one of the first three on the thread, so it does not show up next to Fluid Pestilence in the list of threads and I'd have to go through the filter box regardless.

Is this something that can be made less clunky?

Yuck, this is a sharp edge around the "forum aggregation" feature. I can think of a way to fiddle with what forum it links to, but it'll be later next week before I can implement them.

Last edited:
For now, Content. We deliberately chose not to create a Relationships category as such tags have always been rare on SV and shipping has rarely been the focus of creative writing on here, but we're open to the possibility should they become widespread.
...huh, you're right. Somehow, I'd never noticed that, but that actually doesn't come up a ton on SV, huh?

Got confused by the new tag system and actually created a tag for review that we didn't want to. is there a way to undo that? its one we didnt want to put out there and made a replacement for. specifically, we were trying to write up the tag "alien gender and sexuality" but saw "alien gender & sex" and didnt notice the new tag descriptor so settled for that but we'd really rather have the first one

Really we'd rather have alien gender & orientation but we were just typing in tags as we've seen elsewhere but we'd have to keep removing tags to get that in so we'll just put the tag we actually want in other fiction it corresponds to (which is basically all our fiction on this site anyway)

You may want to change arcee from uncategorized (which apparently she was before) to a character tag :3

2024-03-22
The last week has seen a very large number of back-end bugfixes, but we've rolled out a number of user visible features and tweaks:
  • In the thread view:
    • Tags link to the first aggregated parent which aggregates the thread's forum
    • Tags consistently show they have parent page in ( )
  • Support filtering widget having a horizontal layout mode (styling is a work in progress)
  • Filtering widget can now suggest to top X tags of selected tag categories, and shows if they are included/excluded.
    • Selected tags are rendered in this list.
    • Currently only the "setting" category is displayed in this list.

Genre, Setting, Character, Format, Content and Uncategorised

Not 100% sure this is the right place for this, but…

I've only just noticed an inability to tag pre-existing threads with a Format tag when using the "edit thread" function. (Using: Safari and Chrome on iOS mobile)

I'd somehow missed this update in general, and was going through my three CrW threads today to make sure they were tagged appropriately, and when editing my snippets thread I realized that there just wasn't a "Format" category field at all.

This happened when I went to type "snippets" into the "Uncategorized" field — it popped up in the dropdown as a potential tag, but with a message underneath that claimed that I had selected the wrong field, and that it should be under "Format". Which, upon looking, I then realized wasn't available.

The weird thing is, I presume it was originally available, as, prior to editing, the thread itself had a tag labeled "snippets" with a little pencil icon next to it. Which I'm guessing is the indicator for the format tags or something, like how the setting tags have a little world icon.

However… upon saving the edited tags (I didn't delete any), that tag is now gone, despite me not specifically removing any tags.

Incidentally, "snippet" and "snips" as tags seem to fall under Uncategorized, or at least did not give me the message about it being the wrong field, while "snippets" gives the message irrespective of which (non-format) field you type it under.) Currently said thread has the "snippet" tag as I don't actually seem to have the ability to change the format ones.

Last edited:
The tag categories where configured per forum in a way which was very confusing I've simplified it so most of the tag categories should be available everywhere. This might change to streamline thread creation or such, but for now this will do

Nice, works fine now :) The field now shows up properly and I was able to tag the thread appropriately.

Back