A Darker Path [Worm Fanfic]

It was my understanding that shards pick out a whole bunch of potential hosts give them the 'Corona Pollentia', and it is only those who can trigger later. I don't know if it's made clear how many people can potentially trigger, (other than 'a lot'), but probably not 90%+
WoG is that anyone in a Gray Boy loop has something like a 94% chance of triggering or (if already a cape) second triggering if released from a Gray Boy loop.

This did not mention any exemption for not normally being able to trigger.

Note that until QA moved from Danny to Taylor, she wouldn't have been able to trigger either.

So my impression is that shards jump on these amazingly stressed out minds, and go straight to trigger mode.

Stabbing problems with money is a valid tactic, but can't really be applied to everything, everywhere at once because even if that amount of money could be used it would up-fuck the economy beyond belief. Well, people with alien supercomputers meshed into their brain might be an exception. Notably, though, Atropos is stabbing with money (and otherwise) most problems for Brockton Bay and a few outside it, which is much more doable.
Why would the economy be fucked up by just fixing shit?

I suspect that the amount of money needed to stab everything everywhere all at the same time that can be most efficiently Ended by stabbing it with money exceeds the amount of money available, to the point that you'd need to start printing more money.

I suspect Accord has a Plan to fix the economy, but it would probably be a ten or twenty-year plan, probably gets revised every time an endbringer wipes some location off the map, and quite possibly involves ganking Mannequin at the earliest opportunity, so he won't tear things down because he likes watching the world burn.

I suspect that the amount of money needed to stab everything everywhere all at the same time that can be most efficiently Ended by stabbing it with money exceeds the amount of money available, to the point that you'd need to start printing more money.
Why?

If that was the case, no infrastructure could ever be maintained.

I suspect Accord has a Plan to fix the economy, but it would probably be a ten or twenty-year plan, probably gets revised every time an endbringer wipes some location off the map, and quite possibly involves ganking Mannequin at the earliest opportunity, so he won't tear things down because he likes watching the world burn.
That plan is getting updated in an awful hurry.

Both Mannequin and the remaining Endbringers are toast at this point, so it makes Accord's job much easier. 😎

Last edited:
So my impression is that shards jump on these amazingly stressed out minds, and go straight to trigger mode.
Actually, If the shards pick out minds when they get bubbled with the sure knowledge that they will be nearly a lock to trigger at the end date, and if most cycles are substantially longer than Earth Bet - doesn't that make it likely the Gray Boy shard deploys near the start of every cycle, and pushes its host toward this sort of usage, just for that big payoff late in the cycle with a bunch of early era hosts suddenly entering the population late in a cycle?

That seems like something they would like.

Let's say you want to fix most everything in the USA with application of money.

(Disclaimer, I'm going to be throwing around numbers mostly pulled out of my posterior, but it should indicate the general problem)

Now there are around 333 million people in the US, and most of them probably have arguably significant problems that could be fixed by application of some amount of money. You have to consider what amount of money that would be. Suppose you were a super generous billionaire who had just received 50 billion more dollars and wanted to make life better for everyone. That's just 150 dollars per person. That would probably leave the great majority of those people with problems unfixed.

No problem. You just need more, right? If you take the high end of 'money fixable problems' as, say, $1,500,000 (a bit lower than the average cost for a heart transplant). If you take half that, multiply it by 333 million people that's about $250,000,000,000,000 (250 trillion dollars). The GDP of the US is 29 trillion dollars. You throw that amount into circulation shit's gunna be wack.

That's not even the real problem, though. $1,500,000 might get you a heart transplant in today's economy, but there are something like 7,500 people on the waiting list in the US, and presumably a lot more who just don't bother because they can't afford it. If they suddenly all have the money they need, prices are going to go up because new hearts don't grow on trees.

I'm no expert, and I'm not going to try going into more detail, but you asked and that's my answer.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, and I'm not going to try going into more detail, but you asked and that's my answer.
Biggest reason it might work anyway?

She's not trying to fix the US. She's just trying to fix Brockton Bay. Which is a much more manageable problem. Her solution does not need to be able to scale further than that.

Last edited:
"Yup!" she said brightly. "So, what I figure is that if someone is kept in a constant torture loop like this, their mind falls apart, then back together, then apart, and so on in a vicious cycle. Also, if they've got a corona pollentia, there's a massive chance that they'll trigger as soon as the bubble goes down. Ninety to ninety-five percent chance is my best guess."
Yeah, that would not be pretty. Especially if they're already a cape. Especially especially if both of the Entities leading the cycle are dead, like we saw in Ward.
Deliberate, preplanned contact, or I'll eat my favourite boots, without salt.
You being Alexandria, you could literally do it.
And that didn't even count Accord, who at last report was having a ball laying out the plans for the recuperation of the entire goddamn Brockton Bay region with the glee of an OCD perfectionist handed a ten-figure budget.
It's like his own personal amusement park.
Taylor gave her a level stare. "It took me four nights, and I Ended two other gangs while I was at it.
To be fair, Taylor, if the world was an NES cartridge, you'd be the Game Genie.
Dennis snorted. "What did you expect? Lock two Tinkers in the same room together, and they'll either kill each other or bust out of there with a battle tank that flies and can turn into a giant robot."
Giant robots make everything better.
Then all I have to do is save his life—which, to be honest, Clock here could manage with a staple gun and half a dozen Band-Aids—and we're home and dry, yeah?"
"That was not an invitation to try, Clock."
"I don't even know if that'll work, just saying," Shebang supplied. "Theoretically, it should. But there's a huge gap between 'theoretically' and 'reality'."
A thing people too often forget.
"Well," I informed the ceiling. "That was a day."
The first time in a long time you actually came close to death.

Let's say you want to fix most everything in the USA with application of money.

(Disclaimer, I'm going to be throwing around numbers mostly pulled out of my posterior, but it should indicate the general problem)

Now there are around 333 million people in the US, and most of them probably have arguably significant problems that could be fixed by application of some amount of money. You have to consider what amount of money that would be. Suppose you were a super generous billionaire who had just received 50 billion more dollars and wanted to make life better for everyone. That's just 150 dollars per person. That would probably leave the great majority of those people with problems unfixed.

No problem. You just need more, right? If you take the high end of 'money fixable problems' as, say, $1,500,000 (a bit lower than the average cost for a heart transplant). If you take half that, multiply it by 333 million people that's about $250,000,000,000,000 (250 trillion dollars). The GDP of the US is 29 trillion dollars. You throw that amount into circulation shit's gunna be wack.

That's not even the real problem, though. $1,500,000 might get you a heart transplant in today's economy, but there are something like 7,500 people on the waiting list in the US, and presumably a lot more who just don't bother because they can't afford it. If they suddenly all have the money they need, prices are going to go up because new hearts don't grow on trees.

Okay, counterpoint.

If the money is being spent on fixing things, it's not just going to bloat the economy. Things will also get fixed. The people who get paid the money to do the fixing will then spend it on things they want and need. It will spread around.

The best way to fix the economy is to inject money into the lowest strata, so that people can actually buy stuff with it.

This improves their lives, improves the cash flow of the places they buy stuff from, and so on.

(Also, the US healthcare system is a joke. The price of a heart transplant in Australia is the equivalent of $183K USD, because our medical costs aren't artificially inflated by greed. Prices shouldn't suddenly go up because more people can afford something).

Withholding money from the economy is not the way to fix it.

An economy functions at all because resources enter and circulate through it. A worker gets paid, they buy food, the store orders restock, the producer buys from the farm/ranch, the farmer buys tools, the store restocks, the supplier orders from the manufacturer, the manufacturer orders raw materials, the miner buys food...

Prices shouldn't suddenly go up because more people can afford something
General narrative, right on, this bit...this is wrong.

Prices suddenly going up because more people can afford something is the most predictable thing ever. This may be partially mitigated by Brockton Bay's small fish in a big pond status, the supply economy that feeds in is much bigger than the city itself so it isn't going to be as shaken as if it weren't.

In the very short term, the upward pressure is that there's no time for significant adjustments of supply, so the more money is chasing the same amount of goods which risks instant price spikes. This shouldn't last very long for most things, and can be mitigated by the buyers being willing to be patient. In markets where price adjustment is slow it might also result in more intermittent shortages than price increases.

In the medium term, supply should cheerfully scale up to meet the demand in most sectors. The price point will usually be a little higher, because they scaled up chasing the money. In some sectors, scaling up is hard and price response might be worse.

In the long term that price level might slide down again as supply adapts to the new demand level and competes back down to only nominal profit, in an ideal market where real marginal costs can be flattened.

The malicious example of heart transplants, of course, basically lacks any supply scaling in any term since heart transplants aren't produced in an way that can be expanded like that. Brockton Bay conveniently has Panacea able to negate that particular problem.

EDIT: This is not to say that you're wrong that you can improve things by injecting money. That's definitely right! It's just also true that you should expect price levels to go up along the way.

Last edited:
If that was the case, no infrastructure could ever be maintained.
Australia, for example, has too many asphalt roads; there's just not enough money to maintain them all (in good working order, i.e. no potholes); if we'd built asphalt-on-concrete roads or asphalt roads with proper foundations that didn't cause potholes to begin with, there would be many roads that are currently asphalt that would still be dirt roads, but the asphalt roads we did have wouldn't be a bottomless collection of potholes to throw money into.

Instead of doing things Right (building a road that only needs occasional resurfacing because it's been worn smooth), we're in permanent break-fix mode, where there's only enough money to do bodge fixes that need to be 'fixed' again later.

We can't just stop maintenance and spend money on building cost-effective roads because (bad) asphalt roads without maintenance are worse than dirt roads (which are also much cheaper to repair when they need fixing).

We'd need a significant influx of money over and above the existing break-fix budget to fix things.

Repeat this rant for probably every bit of infrastructure, everywhere, both on a country-wide and household scale. I'm only familiar with road maintenance because my dad was involved with a road that got built right, and just how much more work went into doing it, and the engineer in charge explaining why it had to be done that way to prevent future problems.

I suspect if we were to fix everything, we'd need to start printing (even more) money to pay for it all. The problem with printing money is that we (all?) use fiat money, which is only worth anything because the government says it is; if the government prints money (produces new tokens of exchange out of thin air), it devalues all of the existing cash by the proportion of new money that just sprang forth into existence fully formed. Do that too much, and you get hyperinflation. Do that just a little, and it's just business as usual (as happens any year government expenditure exceeds tax income... i.e. every year).

Arguably, it's the difference between Old Money, who bought a sturdy, not particularly exciting kitchen table decades ago that's still in good working order and isn't too out of style and is expected to see many future generations, or purchasing a cheap kitchen table which you need to replace every so often. If you had all the money you spent on replacing broken things at the start, you could have easily afforded a table your grandkids could inherit.

It's an entirely different question if you can tap into existing money to pay for things, e.g. increasing taxes, or like Taylor, getting at money held in escrow; all of that money is 'real' because someone expended effort to make it real at some point.

An economy functions at all because resources enter and circulate through it. A worker gets paid, they buy food, the store orders restock, the producer buys from the farm/ranch, the farmer buys tools, the store restocks, the supplier orders from the manufacturer, the manufacturer orders raw materials, the miner buys food...
Note: this is money circulating, not resources.

It's very important to keep that difference in mind in this kind of question. The actual resources largely don't circulate in most economies - they flow through but don't loop back.
It's an entirely different question if you can tap into existing money to pay for things, e.g. increasing taxes, or like Taylor, getting at money held in escrow; all of that money is 'real' because someone expended effort to make it real at some point.
That's not a real difference at the level of money circulation, though it might be a difference at the level of investor and consumer expectations.

The money was out of circulation and now it's in circulation. That's all that matters at the mechanistic level.

Money is a stand-in allowing for disconnected parts of the economy to engage in trade with each other. It is a resource.
It is wildly unlike actual resources and that difference is the centerof the current discussion, but that semantic call doesn't actually matter: saying "resources" circulate when the reality is exactly one 'resource' circulates is still wrong.

That's not a real difference at the level of money circulation, though it might be a difference at the level of investor and consumer expectations.

The money was out of circulation and now it's in circulation. That's all that matters at the mechanistic level.
There is a distinction as far as inflation is concerned; getting static money to flow doesn't (directly) devalue all of the existing money.

In terms of the price of resources bought with that money, it wouldn't make a difference unless the amount of new money created approached a notable fraction of the total amount of existing money.

I expect that devaluing all money by 1% (by creating new money nominally worth 1% of the value of all existing money) would theoretically drive the prices up by 1% more than getting 1% of the money supply that was static back in circulation.

Then again, adjusted for inflation, I guess the price is identical?

As far as I know, either scenario is somewhat ludicrous, as 1% of the money in circulation is a financial number (numbers even bigger than astronomical numbers).

There is a distinction as far as inflation is concerned; getting static money to flow doesn't (directly) devalue all of the existing money.
That's the thing, it actually does. Money out of circulation is out of circulation. It doesn't matter why unless people are making predictions about it coming back into circulation. It's the circulation that determines what the money can buy. The Fed considers currency 'in circulation' so long as it's not sitting in their vaults more or less, but if you stick a billion dollars down a well...or in escrow against an indefinite future...it's just as much not on the market.

Also, figuring out how much money is in circulation is actually a serious problem. Remember that modern-style money isn't about the minted currency. Most money is 'bank money'. Even the "monetary base", the most restrictive measure, includes deposits with the Federal Reserve. And I just checked, those deposits are a majority of the monetary base, though not an overwhelming one. But M1 money is almost certainly more meaningful, and M1 money is created and destroyed by fractional-reserve banking constantly. (It's not ungoverned. But it's also not really important in a simple way what percentage of dollars you own.)

Amy was happier these days, and not just because she had a girlfriend. (Though Vicky thought she might have to book herself an eye test, what with all the hints she'd missed about her sister's orientation).
A minor grammar quibble, but one that I've noticed is widespread in Ack's work: When a passage in brackets starts its own sentence like this, the full stop should be inside the brackets, too.

It would stay outside the brackets if it were continuing the previous sentence:

"Amy was happier these days, and not just because she had a girlfriend (though Vicky thought she might have to book herself an eye test, what with all the hints she'd missed about her sister's orientation)."

But when the previous sentence has its own full stop and you're starting a new self-contained one, the full stop should be inside the brackets with everything else:

"Amy was happier these days, and not just because she had a girlfriend. (Though Vicky thought she might have to book herself an eye test, what with all the hints she'd missed about her sister's orientation.)"

General narrative, right on, this bit...this is wrong.

Prices suddenly going up because more people can afford something is the most predictable thing ever. This may be partially mitigated by Brockton Bay's small fish in a big pond status, the supply economy that feeds in is much bigger than the city itself so it isn't going to be as shaken as if it weren't.

In the very short term, the upward pressure is that there's no time for significant adjustments of supply, so the more money is chasing the same amount of goods which risks instant price spikes. This shouldn't last very long for most things, and can be mitigated by the buyers being willing to be patient. In markets where price adjustment is slow it might also result in more intermittent shortages than price increases.

In the medium term, supply should cheerfully scale up to meet the demand in most sectors. The price point will usually be a little higher, because they scaled up chasing the money. In some sectors, scaling up is hard and price response might be worse.

In the long term that price level might slide down again as supply adapts to the new demand level and competes back down to only nominal profit, in an ideal market where real marginal costs can be flattened.

The malicious example of heart transplants, of course, basically lacks any supply scaling in any term since heart transplants aren't produced in an way that can be expanded like that. Brockton Bay conveniently has Panacea able to negate that particular problem.

EDIT: This is not to say that you're wrong that you can improve things by injecting money. That's definitely right! It's just also true that you should expect price levels to go up along the way.
Okay, allow me to clarify my above statement:
Prices of life saving resources should not automatically go up when more people can afford them.

And indeed, in most civilised nations, such medical resources have price caps beyond which the suppliers are not allowed to increase them.

Also things like the basic requirements for living, such as rent and food staples (which I know also happens).

This is why Atropos promised dire consequences for predatory business practices, going forward. No suddenly tripling the rent on your fleapit rental property just because there's suddenly a lot more people looking for rental spaces, or because your tenants actually have more money now (not without spending the money to improve the quality of accommodation first).

A minor grammar quibble, but one that I've noticed is widespread in Ack's work: When a passage in brackets starts its own sentence like this, the full stop should be inside the brackets, too.

It would stay outside the brackets if it were continuing the previous sentence:

"Amy was happier these days, and not just because she had a girlfriend (though Vicky thought she might have to book herself an eye test, what with all the hints she'd missed about her sister's orientation)."

But when the previous sentence has its own full stop and you're starting a new self-contained one, the full stop should be inside the brackets with everything else:

"Amy was happier these days, and not just because she had a girlfriend. (Though Vicky thought she might have to book herself an eye test, what with all the hints she'd missed about her sister's orientation.)"
Ugh, yeah, I keep forgetting to fix that.

"This is the Tough Club. How tough are you?"
"When Atropos comes to my house, I give her cookies."
"Right this way, Madam!"
You know, if Atropos shows up in your house, offering her cookies sounds like a really good idea. An Atropos who is eating cookies is probably not killing you. But you should make sure they're the really good cookies.

Il add one addition on the mention of production ramping up.
Worm is in a more unique position that its not generally so much production ramping up as it is preforming long overdue maintenance and repair of dormant production.
Usually in rl if a factory closes a line the equipment will be sold or scrapped/etc but in worm there are no buyers for a significant amount so the production lines / closed factories are still there abandoned minus any damage from time/environment/looters.

And on injecting money the big things are
1- how you do it. Infrastructure/anti-corruption/controlled investment in small businesses/etc.
2-the scale you do it - doing it in one city in a large country is long way off major inflationary effects if your not doing the usual politicians work of routing most of the money to their/their friends pockets.

Just handing out money randomly doesn't work but they're not doing that here.
The enforced lack of financial corruption alone increases the effective funds by at-least half.

Actual well thought out infrastructure improvements alone can massively improve the economy.
Most real life infrastructure projects aren't particularly well thought out because well thought out projects don't allow as much money to be pocketed/favour's bought/nepotism. also just the general issue of politicians making decisions without consulting experts.

Ok, I'm sick and my brain is offline. Can you please remind me, who is Bianca? And what does she have to do with eating cookies? Now I want cookies.

Back