Yay, it's back!
"Broken windows" policing was a grotesque policy on Earth-Aleph that the NYPD had adopted, holding that the best way to reduce crime as a whole was to target tiny-but-visible crimes, as if murder and assault would go away because someone got arrested for public intoxication or jaywalking. The BBPD had loved the idea, and adopted it immediately.
Shithole town is shithole town yet again.
So, there was a suspicious time window, and a new friend Emma would not normally have encountered. It was possible they'd met at the library or something… but if so, why would it be in that dead period? Surely if Emma was well enough to go to the library, she was well enough to post on WhoZoo.

Something here stunk to high heaven, and she was going to figure out what.
Welp. No way this ends poorly for anyone.
The man who sat at the end of the table within was much the same. A tall Asian man, he wore a well-fitted gray suit, with a red shirt beneath it. Symbolism was chosen with care, of course – to his people, the gray would mean he was calm and composed, yet humble and not arrogant. He cared for his people, and did not lord his power over them more than was necessary. To the Americans, it would communicate a lack of originality, a focus on dull efficiency. To his people, the akani red symbolized peace, protection from evil, strength, and power. To the Americans, it communicated anger, passion, power. Such was the duality he chose to convey: a protector to his people, and a leashed mad dog to others. Lung, the Dragon of Brockton Bay.
For that, he needed his lieutenants to do as he instructed. Anything else risked upsetting the timetable, forcing them to delay Friday's attack.

He straightened from his partial slouch, putting shoulders up and back. He planted his feet on the ground and rested his arms on the table, bracketing his papers.

And when the door opened, he was not a man called Kenta, a lonely campfire in a sea of ashes, carefully shielded from the wind and rain. He was Lung, the dragon, and he bore flame enough to burn the sea itself.
Man, I barely made it any distance into Worm before I bounced off it, but I can already tell this is way better characterization for Lung.
She'd had to get the address from Aunt Sarah – Amy was useless when it came to maps or directions – but it hadn't been too hard to find a place she could walk from, without just dropping down from the sky above their house. Setting aside that spooking parahumans with unknown powers was probably a bad idea, no matter how nice they seemed
...Yeah, I'll fucking say. Shit, don't even worry about the two Herrschers. You really don't want to trigger Bronya's threat response.
That meant she got a good, ground-eye view of the place, and… it seemed nice enough? Aunt Sarah had told her it was ABB-affiliated, and the map from a few months ago agreed, but, while it was run-down, the streets were clean and the homes generally appeared well-cared-for. If the handful of people she could see on porches were anything to judge by, it was also surprisingly multi-racial. It still felt off to her, though. It was a weekday afternoon, and there were people sitting around at home. Shouldn't they be at work?
...Oh my god Vicky's Oblivious Upper Class White Girl energy is so powerful.
"I wouldn't mind some water, if it's not too big a deal," she answered, stepping inside and closing the (oddly heavy) door behind her. Her shoes came off a moment later, as she saw the rows of them by the door. Her socks were, unfortunately, plain and thoroughly boring. If she'd known, she'd have worn one of her cute pairs!
She is adorable, though. I'm a little surprised that Bronya's security door actually feels heavy; AFAIK if get the balance/hinges/whatever good enough on a door it won't feel heavy even if it is. Maybe that ceases to apply if you're building it out of fucking post-transuranics or whatever Tinker bullshit Bronya put in there, lol.
"Well… Amy wasn't very talkative about how it went. And, since she's hanging out with two unknown parahumans…" Mei's eyes widened, and she tensed up, but Victoria kept herself casual, waving dismissively. "I don't know who you two are and don't want to. You're not a Nazi, and there are Unwritten Rules, you know?"

Mei frowned, relaxing fractionally. "I'm afraid I don't know, sorry."

Vicky winced. "Girl… okay, this isn't gonna stand." She lowered her voice dramatically. "I am afraid I have… no choice."

Mei's slight relaxation vanished like it had never been, and something inside Vicky screamed at her, like she had just stepped on a land mine and if she moved wrong it would explode. Her force field tingled, like that one time she'd flown into a thunderstorm. Conveniently, though, she was explosion proof!

"I must subject you to… Victoria Dallon's Cape 101 Primer!"

"What."
...Girl, you are not as explosion proof here as you think. You are standing in the same room as a goddamn Herrscher.

Also, lmfaooooooooo
Sophia's interests seemed to be animal fun facts, political cynicism – Shouting other people's pessimistic anti-establishment libertarian messages to boost them and the like–and those Cape-collector mobile games.
Oh my god, she's a libertarian? Sophia really is just the worst.
Her mom laughed. "Well, have fun. Oh, and I meant it about being careful! Make sure to use protection!"

The call clicked off.

She sat in her chair for a long moment, trying to process what had just happened.

Well. That was uh… well. She had, um, investigation to do. Yes. That was it. Focus on investigation, not on the impending doom.

…it wasn't going to be a long enough day, was it?
LMFAO BUSTEDDDDDD
She paused as she opened the door, realizing she'd forgotten to say something important. "Oh, but one last thing!" She smiled brightly as she stepped onto the porch, turning back towards Mei. "If one of you breaks her heart, they'll never find the body." Mei blinked. "So be good to her, okay? She deserves it."

She turned on her heel and left, smiling all the way.

No one got to fuck with her sister.
Mei, internally: ...wait, she thinks we what??
alternately, perhaps more likely
Mei, internally: KIANA WHAT DID YOU DO
Elysia sacrificed herself so that you unwashed peasants won't ever have to concern yourself with such paltry things as "straightness" and "monogamy".
Forever and ever, amen. 🙏

I'm a little surprised that Bronya's security door actually feels heavy; AFAIK if get the balance/hinges/whatever good enough on a door it won't feel heavy even if it is. Maybe that ceases to apply if you're building it out of fucking post-transuranics or whatever Tinker bullshit Bronya put in there, lol.
...didn't consider that, actually. Let's uh, just say it was how hard the door closed rather than how smoothly it swung.

Oh my god, she's a libertarian? Sophia really is just the worst.
Well, given her predator/prey way of viewing things being Libertarian makes. It also matches with her view of the PRT/government being useless. She just doesn't get the idea of/value of larger organizations.

Last edited:
Well, given her predator/prey way of viewing things being Libertarian makes. It also matches with her view of the PRT/government being useless. She just doesn't get the idea of/value of larger organizations.
FWIW, I'm cutting the explicit "predator/prey" thing; she'll use animal analogies here and there but that's bc she loves Animal Planet. The general vibe is there, but that particular bit was kind of fandom exaggeration in the first place.

But yeah someone who has only ever seen the system as something used to beat her down, as well as relentlessly cynical and caustic, is gonna have a certain attraction to the left-libertarian "all I want is for the government to fuck off."

FWIW, I'm cutting the explicit "predator/prey" thing; she'll use animal analogies here and there but that's bc she loves Animal Planet. The general vibe is there, but that particular bit was kind of fandom exaggeration in the first place.

But yeah someone who has only ever seen the system as something used to beat her down, as well as relentlessly cynical and caustic, is gonna have a certain attraction to the left-libertarian "all I want is for the government to fuck off."
I agree people read too much into predator/prey thing.

Honestly, between Sophia's "test" of Emma and her history as a vigilante I see her more as hating criminals and such, but hating victims who don't fight back more. Probably because she views them as enablers (alongside shitty authority figures). Even odds that her trigger event is related as well (especially given one requires the triggee to feel that no one can or will save them).

Of course, the hypocracy of her crim8nally abusive actions against Taylor completely slips by her because in her mind Taylor proved she deserved it by never defending herself. Or, later on, tried to ruin Sophia by snitching, which doesn't count.

This head-canon also makes Emma the trio member who chose to keep escalating against Taylor, but that is a different character analysis head-canon.

I agree people read too much into predator/prey thing.

Honestly, between Sophia's "test" of Emma and her history as a vigilante I see her more as hating criminals and such, but hating victims who don't fight back more. Probably because she views them as enablers (alongside shitty authority figures). Even odds that her trigger event is related as well (especially given one requires the triggee to feel that no one can or will save them).

Of course, the hypocracy of her crim8nally abusive actions against Taylor completely slips by her because in her mind Taylor proved she deserved it by never defending herself. Or, later on, tried to ruin Sophia by snitching, which doesn't count.

This head-canon also makes Emma the trio member who chose to keep escalating against Taylor, but that is a different character analysis head-canon.

I don't think she hates victims who don't fight back, really. She protects them but she just tries to ignore them. "Don't mourn the weak, you'll be crying all day" and all. But she really likes those who do, so she does try to get a sense of whether they will. She'll always intervene, but she waits until the last second to give the victims a chance to show their mettle. And because she knows how important it is emotionally to be able to hit back.

She had a whole bit on this in one of the Sentinel chapters, she'll prevent the victim from killing their assaulter but she'll try not to intervene otherwise, because they've already been stripped of agency once today, and she feels it's extremely important psychologically to be able to reclaim that agency by putting up a fight.

Last edited:
Okay I was pretty busy this week, but it remains the case I was waiting for this first wednesday of the year with bated breath for my favorite Honkai fic to come back.

So, time to start the show!

Investigation was a time-consuming, difficult task. Tracking down leads, interviewing recalcitrant or biased witnesses, obtaining information from other intelligence-gathering agencies… it was always a grind, even at the best of times. PRT agents handled most of the grunt work, but Crystal had picked up a bit from spending time with the Protectorate members over the last couple years. Her mom had taught her some herself, drawing on her days in the Brockton Bay Brigade, operating without external funding or affiliate status. Crystal understood that to do a proper, full investigation into what happened with Emma would require interviews, legwork, official data requests… all things that were slow, raised eyebrows, and drew attention.

My my, here we are with Crystal, taking the time to follow up on her very particular theories as to the Condition Of Emma Barnes.

Which was why she was cyberstalking her crush's little sister instead. Truly, the advances of modernity were myriad.

Truly, a spectacular way to start Laserdream.

It's interesting to get just the littlest teaser as to what New Wave used to be, the Brockton Bay Brigade being before they got as tight with the Protectorate and stripped off their masks for their children to carry that same torch.

And she had forgotten how inane kids could be. Emma had signed up on WhoZoo as early as she could. Crystal frowned and did the mental math. No, earlier than she was allowed to, actually – the girl had gotten lucky and turned 13 just before they'd gone on their big underage-account-cleaning spree a few years back, so she hadn't gotten banned.

Taylor was easy to find from there, as it appeared she had not turned 13 in time, and had had to make a fresh account. Her first post (Visit, technically, but Crystal wasn't about to let them redefine a term that simple), in fact, was on Emma's Visitor Book, saying that she'd made an account "definitely for the first time" now that she was 13. Scanning back on Emma's profile did show quite a bit of chatting with a deleted account.

Crystal shook her head and smiled. Teenagers.

Bro why are you being like this.

Amazing how the fic where Taylor's never actually shown up onscreen is perhaps the singularly most brutal piece of writing about her obliterated relationship with Emma.

Still, it was an easy place to establish the timeline. A couple quick checks confirmed that their mothers were also WhoZoo friends, and that sealed it. Almost certainly the same Taylor. So, then, what happened? If it was a sudden change of behavior, then…

She scanned down Emma's history for a few minutes, before sighing. The girl was clearly popular, given how dense with conversation her profile was. But aside from that, it seemed fairly normal.

Regardless, Emma's behavior looked… well, she wasn't an expert, but it seemed normal for the early years. Friend requests with classmates, gossip. Her closest friend was clearly this Taylor girl, but she wasn't exactly isolated, and posted regularly. Timeline view had her at a pretty steady rate, with spikes around holidays and the like… which was why Crystal blinked and scrolled back at the weeks that were just dead, from the summer before last. Almost two weeks with no activity at all, from a girl who reliably made dozens each week.

The sound of red flags flapping in the wind was almost deafening.

Okay suddenly I'm realizing my original, valid worries about 'hey is Crystal gonna completely fuck up the motives and assume Kiana's a Master' might have run into the equally incorrect, but much more. Relative to the situation, assumption that 'oh it's the person who randomly popped up in her social circle after those weeks who's the Master, Sophia!'

Jeez.

What, then, was going on at that time?

It would have been before school got back in, though later in the summer still. It was, if she recalled correctly, a couple weeks before early move-in at UMac. She checked the profiles of Emma's closer friends and found no big events or parties being discussed.

Taylor was off at some sort of out-of-town summer camp, and judging by Emma's teasing before she left, didn't have a smartphone. Odd, to not have a smartphone in 2011, but not exactly suspicious. Poorer family, maybe? Anne was across the country, still with family on the West Coast. Emma's own parents posted at about their normal (low) rate during that time period, and seemed to be in the city.

So, an empty two weeks. She cast her memory back, but couldn't think of anything big and cape-related from that period. A check on those weeks' Brockton General Threads on PHO showed nothing in the customary pinned summary.

A part of me is like. Man the assumption that this is a Parahuman situation (even if it is, yeah, partially Cape related) is gonna bite Crystal in the ass, but it's not as if she isn't already doing her due diligence trying to scope out the more direct gaps in understanding before trying to tap PHO for a clue.

I really should reread the other investigation chapters from earlier in the fic, won't deny there's an interesting energy to the variation in stumbling points all the detectives pick out.

She was about to call it quits on that particular mystery when she glanced at Emma's other socials. ViaParty wasn't exactly the kind of social hub that WhoZoo was, being more about shouting into the void than keeping track of friends, so she'd only done a brief check… until she found that Emma's ViaParty account – @RegalRedhead, ugh, what a tacky username – had been made during that two-week window. And her first contact was… Crystal winced. A girl named @BrokenWindow. Coming from a Black kid in Brockton Bay, well… she sighed. It told her enough, at least. From a bad area of town, keenly aware of police discrimination, likely victimized by them directly.

And here the trail to Shadow Stalker is found.

Boy are the bad implications only starting.

"Broken windows" policing was a grotesque policy on Earth-Aleph that the NYPD had adopted, holding that the best way to reduce crime as a whole was to target tiny-but-visible crimes, as if murder and assault would go away because someone got arrested for public intoxication or jaywalking. The BBPD had loved the idea, and adopted it immediately.

They used it for its actual intended purpose, of course: oppressing minorities, forcing them into prison or poverty traps. There had been a push to end the policy a few years ago, but of course when it was revealed that ABB-linked Asian community groups had been financial sponsors of the campaign the city council had reversed course faster than you could write "reflexive racism." Never mind, of course, that Empire money was just as tied into promoting the policy.

Oh. Boy.

It's great (just. Great) how many little evils immediately wrap around to "Fucking NAZIS man."

Literally the exact moment these paragraphs started you immediately understand what makes Sophia Hess Sophia Hess.

She shook her head to clear it, getting back to work. It didn't take long to find out that BrokenWindow was a girl named Sophia Hess, attending Winslow – oof, no one deserved that – alongside Emma and Taylor. Only, the contact was before they had actually begun high school. And Sophia was… to put it delicately, not exactly in the same social class as Emma.

The return of the revenge of "Fuck Winslow, all my homies hate Winslow."

Crystal saying that with complete awareness of her girlfriend's little sister being in that school already just adds a little. A Little.

So, there was a suspicious time window, and a new friend Emma would not normally have encountered. It was possible they'd met at the library or something… but if so, why would it be in that dead period? Surely if Emma was well enough to go to the library, she was well enough to post on WhoZoo.

Something here stunk to high heaven, and she was going to figure out what.

Like. The way this leads somewhere obvious. But it leads somewhere terrible. Which is not the precise shape of it, but like. It's still pretty bad.

Really really hope Crystal drops the "mind control" hypothesis before she gets close enough to the truth to make this go uglier.

Across the city, tucked away in the basement of a restaurant, masquerading as food storage, there was a small room. It was not an ornate room, its furnishings simple in appearance, but a practiced eye would know that each item within it had been hand-crafted by a master. Each inch of the "simple" room was placed with deliberate care, presentation considered down to the square inch.

The man who sat at the end of the table within was much the same. A tall Asian man, he wore a well-fitted gray suit, with a red shirt beneath it. Symbolism was chosen with care, of course – to his people, the gray would mean he was calm and composed, yet humble and not arrogant. He cared for his people, and did not lord his power over them more than was necessary. To the Americans, it would communicate a lack of originality, a focus on dull efficiency. To his people, the akani red symbolized peace, protection from evil, strength, and power. To the Americans, it communicated anger, passion, power. Such was the duality he chose to convey: a protector to his people, and a leashed mad dog to others. Lung, the Dragon of Brockton Bay.

And yet, the man named Kenta brooded and waited, thinking of times gone by, of dreams left choking in the dust.

Oh hey.

I see you've decided to start the fuck up with Lung!

This scene setter, the dichotomy of what gray and red mean in different cultures, and how Lung plays it deliberately, makes a visible choice to appear an undisciplined animal to the people who would have anyway, but then strips that away to call attention to Kenta being a disheartened remnant of his ideals...Man oh man.

Suddenly I'm instantly curious of what his interaction with another red dragon will be like.

Once upon a time, he had desired to be seen as more than simply a villain, a great monster defending its territory. He had believed if his foes respected him, respected his people, there could be common ground. Perhaps even peace, bought not with blood but with words.

He was a younger man, then, naive and foolish. He had welded the Asian gangs of the city into a united force, stood tall, and resisted the greatest efforts to remove him that the others could muster. The mad dogs, the Teeth, had been driven out. The Forgotten were consigned to the dustbin of history. And then, far from improving, the city degenerated. The Marche, his only foe worthy of respect, and who respected him in turn, had been defeated, as the "Brockton Bay Brigade" showed their hand: either they were cowards, too weak to stand their ground against the Empire; fools, too short-sighted to recognize the balance they were breaking, and the sort of evil the Marquis had held in check; or sympathizers, conveniently moving the pieces into place for their compatriots to seize greater control of the city. The Watch, pathetic wastes of breath that they were, had turned from community defense to "community defense," protection rackets, coupled with racism only somewhat shy of the Empire's own.

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I knew ACAE was going for "Hey What The Fuck New Wave", but ACAE is really going for "Hey What The FUCK New Wave."

This story has a really consistent thread of 'are you fighting Empire 88 or are you not fighting Empire 88' when it comes to measuring the forces in Brockton Bay, but it's fascinating to realize Kenta holds a grudge against New Wave (as the BBB, in the same chapter Crystal brings up its legacy in her mother's advice at that) for taking out Marquis without having a grasp on where the status quo would shift after.

NTP is really good at POVs that nuanced even when incorrect, so I'm looking forward to where other perspectives will skew these points, but until then, boy is this, depressing.

Those that remained would never see him as worthy of respect, never see his community as anything but inferior. And so, he would allow them to see the ravening beast they wanted to. His people knew better. The Empire would be loath to confront him, and would underestimate him when they did. The Protectorate would be wary of facing him, afraid of his reprisal and afraid of losing access to Colloid's more precious creations.

Man.

Man.

Footsteps on the stairs down reached Lung's ears, far sharper than an ordinary human's. Good. They were on time.

Despite their fear of him, the Empire had made their most blatant provocation in years. Low-level conflict was constant, certainly, but a well-coordinated, synchronized assault on one of their warehouses was a significant escalation. Their diversion of the Protectorate meant that this was not only planned, but important. And it had been one of their most valuable sites, holding a great deal of Colloid's supplies and several of his most precious finished products. Worth far more than their weight in gold, the financial blow was severe. If they had not known the contents of the site, it would have been a strange provocation, one that could not possibly have been worth the costs. If they did know… then why would they provoke his ire so directly? Was there some plan afoot, or had Kaiser simply taken leave of what senses he possessed?

This is, referencing the dock fight with Glory Girl and Laserdream, I think? Specifically the fight with Munsin being "their diversion of the Protectorate," which has, concerning implications.

The fight where Faultline's Crew had been hired to back up Empire, with Fu Hua implicitly being around, it's suggestive of what's giving Empire the leverage to ramp up like this, but whose goals are that for?

Whatever the truth, blind retaliation would be playing into their hands. In a full-on war, for all the power of his lieutenants, they would lose. On a tactical scale, perhaps not – the Empire would need their strongest capes to have a chance of defeating him before his transformation proceeded far enough, Oni Lee was near-impossible to pin down and could (in theory) kill nearly anyone, and Munsin brought incredible flexibility to the table – but on a strategic level, they were simply too outnumbered. No, their retaliation – and there would be retaliation, for even if he had been, unthinkably, of a mind to let the assault pass, failing to strike back he would be betraying his promises and risking the loyalty of his men – would be precise and carefully executed.

For that, he needed his lieutenants to do as he instructed. Anything else risked upsetting the timetable, forcing them to delay Friday's attack.

Again, this numbers game comes up, that however much a threat anyone else in the city is, E88 will always have the size advantage, well funded and allowed to grow like mold.

Kenta's a man of promises.

He straightened from his partial slouch, putting shoulders up and back. He planted his feet on the ground and rested his arms on the table, bracketing his papers.

And when the door opened, he was not a man called Kenta, a lonely campfire in a sea of ashes, carefully shielded from the wind and rain. He was Lung, the dragon, and he bore flame enough to burn the sea itself.

Man he didn't even fight Leviathan in this timeline, but still, still Lung's a firestorm that can face an Endbringer.

I like that, that last line punches your lights out.

Vicky wasn't sure what to think about the neighborhood her classmates lived in. She'd had to get the address from Aunt Sarah – Amy was useless when it came to maps or directions – but it hadn't been too hard to find a place she could walk from, without just dropping down from the sky above their house. Setting aside that spooking parahumans with unknown powers was probably a bad idea, no matter how nice they seemed, Aunt Sarah had made sure since she triggered that she knew not to draw that kind of attention to anyone who hadn't already opted-in. Most people might not look up, but all it took was one cellphone video and a media frenzy was basically guaranteed.

Everytime a New Wave kid talks about their complete awareness of public scrutiny they can never escape I tick off a counter.

Do not ask me what will happen when the counter reaches its limit.

Also I can't remember if anyone actually told Vicky that the Nagazora Trio are Parahumans (Amy mostly sticks to her doctor-patient confidentiality thing), so she just picked it up like obvious as that. Hahahahahahahaha.

That meant she got a good, ground-eye view of the place, and… it seemed nice enough? Aunt Sarah had told her it was ABB-affiliated, and the map from a few months ago agreed, but, while it was run-down, the streets were clean and the homes generally appeared well-cared-for. If the handful of people she could see on porches were anything to judge by, it was also surprisingly multi-racial. It still felt off to her, though. It was a weekday afternoon, and there were people sitting around at home. Shouldn't they be at work?

The way she's legitimately clever, and yet sooooooo. Fucking know nothing.

Vicky Amy and Crystal are good eggs, but if they'll ever stop being well off white people about the realities of the city they patrol, man.

Dismissing her confusion, she rang the doorbell. Hopefully Mei hadn't decided to go out for the day, and she'd made the trip for nothing.

Seconds passed. She tapped her foot impatiently. Finally, she heard movement inside, and the door opened with a loud 'click,' revealing Mei in the doorway, dressed in simple jeans and an old t-shirt. Which she pulled off unfairly well, what the hell?

Vicky: Mei is so, Goddamn in everything.
Kiana: I knooooooow.
Vicky: Don't you get jealous?
Kiana:
Kiana: The reality you imagine where I'm not on my knees in gratitude everyday is too horrifying to imagine.

"Oh, Victo- Vicky," Mei corrected herself before Vicky could do more than begin to frown. "Come in," she said, stepping aside. "Would you like something to drink?"

"I wouldn't mind some water, if it's not too big a deal," she answered, stepping inside and closing the (oddly heavy) door behind her. Her shoes came off a moment later, as she saw the rows of them by the door. Her socks were, unfortunately, plain and thoroughly boring. If she'd known, she'd have worn one of her cute pairs!

NTP you are really good at these minute parallels, with just like, the shoe bit:

"Oh, shoes off please," Mei asked, gesturing at a neat pair of shelves with shoes on them as she removed her own. "You don't need slippers, though."

"Uh, okay?" Amy took her shoes off. A shoes-off house she supposed she understood, strange as it was, but why would she need slippers?

Demonstrating how instant and easily Vicky keeps track of implicit social nuance compared to her sister, and focuses more on mild vanity instead of getting hung up on why people do this and that, which hones to her strengths and weaknesses beyond the fun character fluff.

Mei and Bronya are not in used Vicky and Amy's preference for informal diminutives, but they're learning as they go, it's nice.

The home itself was… well, her first instinct was to say that it was decorated chaotically and with no apparent care for placement, but that wasn't actually true. The items on the walls were bizarrely wide-ranging, from muted traditional Japanese-looking paintings to a bewildering assortment of colorful HOMU posters to monochrome calligraphy scrolls, with a way too expensive for the neighborhood entertainment center on one wall and an almost altar-looking thing with photos above it on the other. But the actual arrangement of those items was… kind of artful, actually, with a careful eye to not overwhelm the onlooker. It was still kind of horrifying, honestly, but… whoever actually arranged this had done a hell of a job, given what they had to work with.
She glanced around, taking it in as they entered the living room. There was a faint chemical smell she didn't recognize, a little bit like some of the cleaners they used at the hospital. Some off-brand cleaning product, probably. Bronya was on the couch, a controller Amy couldn't quite identify in her hands (not that she was any sort of expert), facing a large flat-screen television inset into an entertainment center. Whatever she was playing was loud, filled with explosions and the clanging of metal. A hoodie, too big to be Bronya's – such a hoodie would devour the girl whole and still have room for dessert – and too bright to be Mei's, laid over the arm of the couch. A few ancient textbooks – they had to be Kiana's, Arcadia's were actually up to date – were piled precariously against one wall.

Aside from the gratuitous television, the decoration was low budget, and… well, eclectic would be the diplomatic way to put it. And she was visiting their home, so she'd be diplomatic, and not use any of the other applicable words. Posters featuring some sort of rabbit-eared cartoon creature were intermixed with those old-style Japanese paintings and the occasional calligraphy-looking scroll, forming a bizarre, almost whiplash-inducing lack-of-style.

Photographs were concentrated in one location, above a small standing table with three wooden boxes on it.

Vicky continuing to have better taste than her sister.

Actually it really is, Super interesting how Vicky's less hesitant to have opinions but is also more fair-minded and aware of the finer details (such as the flatscreen being Way pricey for the neighborhood budget and the photo collection being an implicit memorial).

"is something wrong?" Mei asked, and the blonde almost jumped out of her skin.

"Ack! Err, I mean, what? Sorry, was distracted–oh by the way I brought your clothes," Vicky hefted the bag, desperately hoping to deflect from her faux pas.

So much butterfingers for that observational competence.

"Ah! Thank you," Mei smiled and exchanged the bag for a glass of water, depositing the bag by the couch. "Did you ah…" she paused. "...have a good patrol? I heard some sort of fight happened, but you look well?"

"Did you have a good patrol" is a fitting rival.

Vicky grinned. "Running on pure caffeine right now and I need to get a new phone 'cause some dumb monkey broke mine but otherwise right as rain! Honestly thank god we don't have school today, though, I think class would knock me right out."

"I'm happy to hear that." Mei smiled again. "You did pick up Amy earlier in the morning, correct?"

Man being reminded that the timeframe of this story is like. Microscopic. Is so wild.

Kiana is becoming a superhero('s sidekick) right this moment.

"Yup! My cousin woke me up way too fuckin' early so I could do that, but always happy to go out on a limb for Ames." Vicky grinned. "Actually…"

"Actually?" Mei tilted her head.

"Well… Amy wasn't very talkative about how it went. And, since she's hanging out with two unknown parahumans…" Mei's eyes widened, and she tensed up, but Victoria kept herself casual, waving dismissively. "I don't know who you two are and don't want to. You're not a Nazi, and there are Unwritten Rules, you know?"

Mei frowned, relaxing fractionally. "I'm afraid I don't know, sorry."

Vicky winced. "Girl… okay, this isn't gonna stand." She lowered her voice dramatically. "I am afraid I have… no choice."

Mei's slight relaxation vanished like it had never been, and something inside Vicky screamed at her, like she had just stepped on a land mine and if she moved wrong it would explode. Her force field tingled, like that one time she'd flown into a thunderstorm. Conveniently, though, she was explosion proof!

"I must subject you to… Victoria Dallon's Cape 101 Primer!"

"What."

Victoria Dallon you Stupid Motherfucker.

You're not explosion proof enough not to be eaten by a Lightning God Endbringer you MORON.

My god she Actually walked into a house full of Parahumans (who nobody told her were Parahumans) and just started to, do this.

Like a buffoon.

SHE IS GOING TO GIVE MEI TERRIBLE IDIOT ADVICE THIS. THIS.

"You're not a Nazi so all sins are forgivable" THIS CONTINUES TO BE WHAT EVERYONE SAYS IT'S AMAZING THIS UNITY IS BREATHTAKING.

Crystal let out a deep sigh as she closed the last social media tab. It had been a trial to sort through all the social media accounts involved, even skimming over them. Still, she'd managed to assemble something of a web and a timeline, post-it notes spread across the board. Digital post-its on a digital board, of course. Why write it down when you could type it out?

Crystal you're gonna get gotten by hackers.

Literally there are two super hackers already involved in this story and they are the ones you should be the LEAST worried about that.

Truly, truly every time you can give the intelligence of a New Wave Cape any faith they will immediately flush it down a toliet.

The surface picture, presented to the world, was simple. Emma had been liked, but a bit of a wallflower in middle school, and her closest friend was Taylor Hebert. When Taylor's dad had died, Emma's public messages to her ticked up at first, but Taylor became progressively less active on WhoZoo. Eventually it returned to the pre-death 'normal,' just in time for the summer before they entered high school. In the late summer, Taylor had gone to camp, and during that window Emma just… went dark. Whatever happened, after a bit more than a week she made her ViaParty account, immediately getting in contact with Sophia Hess. Sophia's interests seemed to be animal fun facts, political cynicism – Shouting other people's pessimistic anti-establishment libertarian messages to boost them and the like–and those Cape-collector mobile games. She didn't get into personal stuff directly on that account, but it had been fairly easy to backtrack her regardless; either she was bad at identity compartmentalization or didn't care much about it. Emma's own content trended steadily in those directions as time went on, but not in a genuinely suspicious way.

I think this is the most. Like.

Sophia's interests seemed to be animal fun facts, political cynicism – Shouting other people's pessimistic anti-establishment libertarian messages to boost them and the like–and those Cape-collector mobile games.

I'm actually almost offended by how endearing this is.

She likes animal facts and Cape mobage.

God.

Just stupid kids who brought out the worst in each other.

After Taylor returned from her camp, during Emma's 'dead zone,' she tried to get in touch. Posts on her Visitor Book piled up. Questions about how Emma was, asking what was wrong, why her parents said she didn't want to see her. Emma returned to WhoZoo, and started to respond to Taylor's small talk, but just deflected or ignored more serious questions. Then, the school year at Winslow started, and things fell apart. Emma added Sophia on WhoZoo – and Crystal had immediately added "HIDING PRIOR ACQUAINTANCE?" in big red letters to that note, because there was no way that timing was accidental – and, seemingly, dropped Taylor like a hot potato. WhoZoo communication between them fell off a cliff there. After that, Emma and Sophia developed their own little posse, first Madison Clements – and there was a name she recognized, they'd met at a charity event, where she and Emma had been thick as thieves.

That pattern continued – those three as the queen bees of the school, like some demented Mean Girls routine – and Taylor never seemed to bounce back. Whatever happened, whatever she did, it wasn't on social media. And she certainly didn't seem to get any new friends at Winslow – at this point, she hadn't had any account activity in months. If Anne's information was right, they were bullying her at school, but smart enough to keep it off of social media.

And then, you know, all this.

All this bullshit.

And then, on Monday, something happened. Taylor ended up in the hospital, due to something apparently bio-hazardous and bad enough that the injuries left Amy unsettled. Madison hadn't posted since that day. The next evening, Emma also stopped posting – judging by the time, about when the fight had happened – and Sophia's Visitor Book had been set to approval-only.

There were, she figured, two key events. Whatever had happened during Emma's "dead period" – she really needed a better name for that – and the events of this week. The key elements there were, of course, Emma, Sophia, and Taylor. In the first window, Taylor had been gone, Emma met Sophia despite their vastly different backgrounds, and Emma started distancing herself from Taylor. In the second, Emma and Sophia had… attacked Taylor, maybe? Crystal frowned. She didn't like the lack of clarity there. It would help if she knew what had happened, but she didn't actually know anyone at Winslow. She'd tried PHO, given the Parahuman involvement, but the mods were taking a hardline approach there and not allowing any details to be discussed.

Can't deny it, Crystal isn't a half-bad detective.

Like it's a horrifying reminder of how thin digital privacy was even ten years ago (almost exactly a decade from now to the fic's timeline, isn't that funny!), but still, she Columbo'd this shit.

To get more information, she'd have to ask the randos on PHO who kept getting banned what had happened (easy to do, awful signal to noise ratio), get in touch with the PRT investigation (as if they'd just hand over the documents when asked nicely), or start showing up and asking people pointed questions (...not likely to go well). None of those were compelling choices.

So, if the present was a dead end for now, what did she know about the past? Well, she'd already checked for major cape or gang activity and found nothing. Which meant, if there was anything reported…

She picked up her phone, dialing it without looking. It was answered on the second ring.

"Hey mom."

Unfair advantage to every great detective before her, but if Sherlock Holmes could call his mother to cheat, I'm certain he would.

Her mom sighed. "I'm in the middle of something, but I know that tone. Jump to what you're going to ask for."

Crystal winced. Was she that obvious? "Uh… could I get a copy of the miscellaneous reports for August 2011?"

"Those aren't sensitive, and you're cleared. You can do that whenever you want." A pause. "Wait a moment. Why do you want the miscellaneous reports, and for the year before last?"

Crystal winced. "A, uh… a friend has a bad feeling about something that happened back then, and I want to check if there's anything in there?"

"Remember, those files are not to be shared. You have clearance, your friends do not."

She sighed. "Yes, mom, I know."

Owned.

"Good." A pause. "A friend, hm? A school friend?"

"...yyyes?" Crystal drew the word out, uncertain where this was going.

"Well, be careful. And we'll have some questions for you sooner, rather than later."

"...questions?" Crystal's stomach dropped. She was trustworthy, and her mom knew that! She wouldn't be doing anything reckless.

"Yep. When you'll be asking Anne over, what she likes for dinner, whether she'll be staying the night, you know. The works."

Wait.

DOUBLE OWNED.

"Hey, I never said it was Anne!"

"Sweetie, I'm not blind. You make moon eyes whenever you get a text from her."

"I do not!" she retorted, and definitely not pouting.

Her mom laughed. "Well, have fun. Oh, and I meant it about being careful! Make sure to use protection!"

The call clicked off.

She sat in her chair for a long moment, trying to process what had just happened.

Well. That was uh… well. She had, um, investigation to do. Yes. That was it. Focus on investigation, not on the impending doom.

…it wasn't going to be a long enough day, was it?

Crystal has spent this entire story carefully defensive on what her family will think about her being gay and literally no one doesn't know.

This is so fucking funny.

"...and I think that's everything." Vicky grinned, rotating the sheet of paper she had been writing on around. "Any questions?"

Mei looked down at the paper. "...I thought they were supposed to be unwritten?" she asked, a sparkle of mischief in her eyes.

Vicky snorted. "I had the same question. Just about everyone does. Never did find out who came up with that name." She smiled. If Mei was willing to joke, she must be warming up to her!

You're very lucky Mei will never be immune to dumbasses Vicky.

God. Writing down the unwritten rules.

Such a responsible dumbass.

"Really though, did I miss something? Anything confusing?"

Mei's eyes went serious again, and she sighed into her cup of tea. "Alright. I understand this Unwritten Rules idea – keep civilian identities out of it, don't use them if you learn them, or things turn into more of a bloodbath than they already are."

Vicky nodded.

"But…" Mei hesitated for a moment. "Why do you care? You're unmasked already, your whole family is. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from the rules falling apart."

Vicky sighed. "Our unmasking got my Aunt Jess – Fleur – killed. An Empire kid shot her in broad daylight, hoping to get himself initiated."

Mei's eyes widened. "I'm sorry for your loss," she said, after a long moment, and Vicky could hear the grief in her voice. She must have lost someone important to her too, Vicky realized. "I didn't know."

Vicky shook her head. "Lot of people don't know these days. But, point is… I never had a choice; it's too late for me. Besides, I'm invulnerable. I don't have to be afraid of some jackass with a gun." Well… unless they stagger their shots. But she wasn't going to share that weakness of her force field, no matter how nice the girl seemed. "But… my friends aren't. Most capes aren't. I don't want anyone else to go through what we did."

The way Vicky just. Walked in here. But also completely doesn't believe in the premise of her family superhero team.

She's so. Man.

Also I'm sorry to say Vicky it isn't gonna matter if Mei knows about your weakness if you piss her off, a thunderbolt from god is just gonna evaporate you.

Luckily you're Straight Kiana, and Mei loves all Kianas no matter their flaws.

"I understand. Thank you. That compassion does you credit."

"Relatedly," Vicky said, moving right along from that, "Ames. I don't mean this as a threat, but if something bad happens to her, some moron kidnapping her, hurting her, that sort of thing… half the country is going to drop on the perp. PRT, independents, even some villains. And if it happens while she's with you, odds are you're going to be in the crosshairs."

"I assure you–"

"Relax, Mei, it's not a threat. Just a warning to keep her safe, and not let any crap that follows you two spill over onto her. No one wants that. Not you, not her, not me."

Mei: You know you're a very kind–
Vicky: Ahahaha enough of that, I'd like you to know what I say next isn't the shovel talk, but if it might be construed as that–

Vicky is such a protective adopted sister.

Mei was silent for a moment, frowning. "Excuse me. You are speaking as if she is likely to be spending more time with us in the future. Am I misunderstanding something?"

"Nah." Vicky smiled and stood up, heading for the door. Mei hurriedly rose to follow her. "Amy seems to like and trust you guys. I'd be a terrible sister if I didn't encourage her friendships."

"Wait, wouldn't you want her to not be around us in that case?"
"Oh no, I would kill someone if that happened, and you wouldn't be the first choice."

And it was going to happen. There was no way she was going to let Amy waste this opportunity and slip back into her funk. If it was friends, good. If it was a girlfriend, better.

She paused as she opened the door, realizing she'd forgotten to say something important. "Oh, but one last thing!" She smiled brightly as she stepped onto the porch, turning back towards Mei. "If one of you breaks her heart, they'll never find the body." Mei blinked. "So be good to her, okay? She deserves it."

"But you know, you're still a choice–"

Vicky you're a very loving person but you're gonna get your ass beat by a Herrscher at this rate.

Please do not taunt the multiple Herrschers you volunteered for girlfriend duty.

"I'm sorry Vicky but while the three of us are useless lesbians, we are all taken as well. Your warning is unnecessary."
Sadly, Mei is too polite to properly express just how far into unseen crevices of her being Vicky should stuff her shovel talks.

I weep at the loss.

Mei: How do I explain I have an unofficial committed marriage that I don't intend to consummate but will always remain loyal to?
HoT: (If that nerd looks at my woman I'm gonna split the difference and both their spines.)
Mei: Shush.
Kiana: I have two arms for as many beautiful women who want to jump into them.
Mei: Kiana.
Kiana: With Mei's approval.
Bronya: Message unclear, mission to save wife from interdimensional imprisonment is higher priority.
Vicky: ...My sister can pull these babes, with god as my witness.
Amy: Vicky I swear if you don't shut your whore mouth–

It's so funny literally no one asked for this responsibility, three lightning apocalypse fugitives decided to be nice to a girl and Power Girl Mini dropped in to say "if you don't clap and cheer for the world's specialest sister I'm gonna blow up the building."\

...Yeah, I'll fucking say. Shit, don't even worry about the two Herrschers. You really don't want to trigger Bronya's threat response.
...Girl, you are not as explosion proof here as you think. You are standing in the same room as a goddamn Herrscher.

Literally everyone is "Oh boy Vicky thinks she gets to start shit" and that's why I respect you all.

I'm so happy you did the Animal Planet thing it's literally so charming.

Bro why are you being like this.

Amazing how the fic where Taylor's never actually shown up onscreen is perhaps the singularly most brutal piece of writing about her obliterated relationship with Emma.
I'm glad it's getting across; trying to paint a picture of a relationship only from the perspectives of people outside of it is a new and interesting challenge. Never quite sure how well it's working.

Oh. Boy.

It's great (just. Great) how many little evils immediately wrap around to "Fucking NAZIS man."

Literally the exact moment these paragraphs started you immediately understand what makes Sophia Hess Sophia Hess.
You can blame this evil on Rudy Giuliani, to be precise. Well, not entirely, but without him it'd never have jumped worlds like this.

I knew ACAE was going for "Hey What The Fuck New Wave", but ACAE is really going for "Hey What The FUCK New Wave."
NTP is really good at POVs that nuanced even when incorrect, so I'm looking forward to where other perspectives will skew these points, but until then, boy is this, depressing.
It's funny, I'm actually trying to sort of drill down into what a group like them would mean and be, but still leave them sympathetic and interesting. It's easy to whitewash them, and easy to write them off as just stooges, or just closet nazis, or define them entirely by the abusive family dynamics. And they are messed up, Carol is an emotionally abusive mother, they are rather more blinkered in perspective than they think they are, and and they have either enabled or failed to stop a whole lot of bad shit in the city in the process of trying to make things better. But that's not the whole picture, either.

Of course, the fact that the only perspectives on Their Whole Deal so far are the kids who have to live in the wreckage of the world their parents made has sort of shaped their portrayal so far.

...I seem to have accidentally walked myself into a metaphor for Generation X and Millennials.

This is, referencing the dock fight with Glory Girl and Laserdream, I think? Specifically the fight with Munsin being "their diversion of the Protectorate," which has, concerning implications.

The fight where Faultline's Crew had been hired to back up Empire, with Fu Hua implicitly being around, it's suggestive of what's giving Empire the leverage to ramp up like this, but whose goals are that for?
The diversion being referred to was the Empire hiring Faultline's Crew to make a big distraction and throw down with the Protectorate while the Empire hit the warehouse.

Also I can't remember if anyone actually told Vicky that the Nagazora Trio are Parahumans (Amy mostly sticks to her doctor-patient confidentiality thing), so she just picked it up like obvious as that. Hahahahahahahaha.
She figured out Kiana after their first encounter, as the lack of serious injury (and Kiana's own flustered derping in playing it off) was pretty noticeable. Mei was more of an educated guess, since a lightbulb spontaneously exploding and flashbanging the goons trying to threaten her seemed... sus.

Vicky Amy and Crystal are good eggs, but if they'll ever stop being well off white people about the realities of the city they patrol, man.
Hey now, Crystal is a well off white girl learning about the realities of the cities she patrols, the justice system, and superheroes and having a slow-motion existential crisis because of it.

Liberal arts, man. Foucault'll get ya.

Man being reminded that the timeframe of this story is like. Microscopic. Is so wild.
I keep telling myself that here is where I'll be able to move through time a bit faster... no it'll be here...

Someday I might even be right!

"You're not a Nazi so all sins are forgivable" THIS CONTINUES TO BE WHAT EVERYONE SAYS IT'S AMAZING THIS UNITY IS BREATHTAKING.
To be fair, the unstated corollary here is "and you can't be ABB, since Munsin is too old and too short to be you."

Crystal you're gonna get gotten by hackers.

Literally there are two super hackers already involved in this story and they are the ones you should be the LEAST worried about that.

Truly, truly every time you can give the intelligence of a New Wave Cape any faith they will immediately flush it down a toliet.
Heh. Well...
Aunt Carol capped her pen and neatened her notes before beginning to put them away. Crystal still didn't understand that – sure, having minutes for their meetings was practical, but it would be easier to just record the things or type them out than to laboriously write them by hand. Didn't she get distracted?

The way Vicky just. Walked in here. But also completely doesn't believe in the premise of her family superhero team.

She's so. Man.
When your aunt gets murdered when you're little because of the very premise of your family... well, it shapes some things.

Also I'm sorry to say Vicky it isn't gonna matter if Mei knows about your weakness if you piss her off, a thunderbolt from god is just gonna evaporate you.
She could tank a hit like that!

Key word, a. And lightning not striking twice in the same place isn't all that true.

It's so funny literally no one asked for this responsibility, three lightning apocalypse fugitives decided to be nice to a girl and Power Girl Mini dropped in to say "if you don't clap and cheer for the world's specialest sister I'm gonna blow up the building."
And all it took was Kiana getting literally smacked with a hot blonde.

Last edited:
Y'know, every time I'm looking at the Valkyrie profiles I can't help but think "Man, these people are tiny".

I get that not everyone is tall, but I honestly kinda thought that a baseline for women is in the ballpark of 170 cm, for some reason. Maybe it's me and everyone I know are just freakishly tall, but lol, my fourteen years old niece is taller than the entire Honkai cast.

Helped me out somewhat in the new chapter when everyone was trying to throw poorly translated technobabble at me, and I was like "Yeah, yeah, cyclicality, metamorphosis, manifestation of physical reality as a platonic ideal, I can't hear you from up there, tiny person."

I find strange ways to cope, okay.

It's funny, I'm actually trying to sort of drill down into what a group like them would mean and be, but still leave them sympathetic and interesting. It's easy to whitewash them, and easy to write them off as just stooges, or just closet nazis, or define them entirely by the abusive family dynamics. And they are messed up, Carol is an emotionally abusive mother, they are rather more blinkered in perspective than they think they are, and and they have either enabled or failed to stop a whole lot of bad shit in the city in the process of trying to make things better. But that's not the whole picture, either.

Of course, the fact that the only perspectives on Their Whole Deal so far are the kids who have to live in the wreckage of the world their parents made has sort of shaped their portrayal so far.

...I seem to have accidentally walked myself into a metaphor for Generation X and Millennials.

Like, the interesting thing about all the New Wave Buildup is that we've honestly seen, a couple of snippets of what outsiders think of them, even past this chapter:

"Right. So, in that case, being an Affiliate isn't a bad choice, if you can get a team. Thing is, only Affiliates in town are New Wave. You might be able to talk them into it – sounds like you've at least met Glory Girl and Panacea, which is a start – but they're going to insist that you be unmasked. Also…" she made a face. "Eh, don't put too much stock in it, but I get some weird vibes from them sometimes. If you wanna do it, though, I'll back you up, come with you to the talks even."
The Marche, his only foe worthy of respect, and who respected him in turn, had been defeated, as the "Brockton Bay Brigade" showed their hand: either they were cowards, too weak to stand their ground against the Empire; fools, too short-sighted to recognize the balance they were breaking, and the sort of evil the Marquis had held in check; or sympathizers, conveniently moving the pieces into place for their compatriots to seize greater control of the city.

Individually, that Suzy feels her Mousey-Sense tingling when New Wave comes up, and Lung holds a grudge for them taking out the only gang he could trust an alliance against the Empire with aren't particularly damning things, but that they're opinions held in the same story, on opposite sides of the law, and pair so easily with Vicky and Crystal's blinking neon signs as to their discomfort about never having a choice in this life and Amy's, Everything–An Everything we know comes as a direct result of how the BBB took out Marquis–It just gives a lot of weight to the sinking, syrupy dread that's pooling towards finally seeing the shape of what New Wave has wrought.

The biggest thing this really shifts the weight on is how, in the words of my good man Fay–

...Oh my god Vicky's Oblivious Upper Class White Girl energy is so powerful.

–This is a pretty notable emphasis on the New Wave kids' portrayals, which you yourself basically say outright with Crystal being an exception specifically because of what she's been learning outside her household.

Hey now, Crystal is a well off white girl learning about the realities of the cities she patrols, the justice system, and superheroes and having a slow-motion existential crisis because of it.

Liberal arts, man. Foucault'll get ya.

It's always been interesting that this ignorance exists simultaneously with their principle antagonism with the Empire, but as we've been reminded by the in-story text...

Vicky sighed. "Our unmasking got my Aunt Jess – Fleur – killed. An Empire kid shot her in broad daylight, hoping to get himself initiated."

...This principle might be more so personal.

"I'll get you next, then." Panacea turned her attention to Kiana. "Do I have your permission to heal you?" It sounded rote, the way she said it. Kiana nodded as Panacea took her hand, the odd sensation of being filled with a pervasive, subtle energy flowing through her once again.

"Now." Panacea's voice lowered, quiet enough that Glory Girl wouldn't hear her. "Are you an Empire cape? Don't lie. I'll know." Her eyes were hard, flinty. It was kind of hot, honestly.

It gives an extra dimension to both Dallon sisters' second one on one scenes with Kiana and Mei having a "If you were a Nazi/Since you're not a Nazi" tension that kinda, flies in the face of the codes they claim to uphold, one that's a little more concerning when you look at it in the light of being a grudge born of who the Empire took from their family rather than what the Empire is in of itself.

Makes you wonder what the New Wave/Brockton Bay Brigade used to be like in the 8 years before Jessica died, the blindspots that just, never had a reason to be examined, until the consequences came their way.

There's already been discussion about the positivity of Lung's portrayal, and how much is a matter of perspective, and yada yada ya, but the thing all of us need to understand is, how INCREDIBLY easy it is to be better than the Empire.

It is in fact, so hard not to be as morally repugnant as a bunch of nazi shitheads, it's a guaranteed selling point that most every villain in the Bay relies on for PR:

Their money-making activities are primarily drug trafficking, chemical manufacturing, illegal gambling, sex work, and protection rackets. While they are often accused of human trafficking, this primarily stems from Empire 88 propaganda; members who have branched out into human trafficking are typically delivered to the police, exiled from the city, or killed.
It really is so funny that every chance that can be taken has the story stare at the camera like "The Empire is a bunch of goddamn white supremacists and no one is worse than them. If anyone says otherwise they're lying" it's great.

Yes, the ABB are yakuza lite. No, they wouldn't stoop to human trafficking, because they aren't nazis.
It is, to be fair, an open question whether this is a line they draw due to personal ethics or for PR concerns. There are Yakuza syndicates that definitely do go in on human trafficking... but here and now the ABB does not, and makes a vocal point of that.

Like, this back and forth says it all, it's almost immaterial if Lung and the ABB's principles are genuine or a matter of convenience, they just make a point of being less assholish than Empire 88 and win handily by default.

And yet...It's the Empire this city welcomes with open arms.

And her first contact was… Crystal winced. A girl named @BrokenWindow. Coming from a Black kid in Brockton Bay, well… she sighed. It told her enough, at least. From a bad area of town, keenly aware of police discrimination, likely victimized by them directly.

They used it for its actual intended purpose, of course: oppressing minorities, forcing them into prison or poverty traps. There had been a push to end the policy a few years ago, but of course when it was revealed that ABB-linked Asian community groups had been financial sponsors of the campaign the city council had reversed course faster than you could write "reflexive racism." Never mind, of course, that Empire money was just as tied into promoting the policy.
Suzy winced. "Well… it depends. Independents can totally fall into that category too."

"Sure, but…" Kiana shrugged. "I mean, they don't need to draw a paycheck to do that. And policing in this city sure isn't what I'd call unbiased."

Suzy sighed and nodded. "Yeah, there is some of that. It's not universal, but… well, at the end of the day the PRT is an arm of the government. Local law enforcement here is a hot mess – let me tell you, the PRT doesn't like them much either – but they still, well…" she sighed again. "You're not entirely wrong, some of that leaks in. Politics comes up. The Feds and the State control the purse strings. There are Empire sympathizers and leaks." Kiana frowned. "And at the end of the day, their goal is, well, enforcement. They identify threats and enforce the rules – well, laws usually, but some independents vary. And it's the fat cats who write the laws."
Visage is an independent hero who has been operating in Brockton Bay since 1997.³ Their identity is unclear, as are the specifics of their power. They are willing to work with the PRT on a case-by-case basis, but have refused all offers or requests for membership or affiliate status, declaring that they were not interested. Their interactions with independent parahumans and Wards are relatively warm and friendly, while their interactions with Protectorate capes are cool, courteous, and professional. Notably, their opinion of the Brockton Bay PD appears to be rather negative; they display a consistent distrust of their judgment, a low regard for their abilities, and a suspicion that they are suborned at a high level by the Empire 88.
The Empire 88 was proving more difficult, as the data was proving substantially fuzzier. The Empire's greater infiltration of law enforcement and news media meant that it was more likely for their activity to be ignored or downplayed by official sources. More local sympathizers meant that it was less likely for their activity to be reported accurately, if it was reported at all. The Empire's activities were more easily conflated with those of other, smaller gangs than the ABB's were, for simple demographic reasons – there were relatively few Asian members in non-ABB gangs, and substantially more white members in non-Empire gangs.

She was at the point of scouring social media records to try to refine her data points there, and that was a deeply tedious task. Hopefully, once she managed to get good data she'd be able to make proper inferences for the Empire, but… she wasn't sure. Something in her gut, some instinct that she couldn't name or define, told her that there was something she was missing here. The Empire just didn't feel right to her, and while she didn't know why, she suspected that it was for reasons more substantial than them being a collection of Nazi scumbags.
Kiana rolled her eyes. "It's Winslow. The last time someone got stabbed the guy who did it was back in school the next week, because they 'didn't have any evidence.' Probably because he was Empire; the teachers are all scared to discipline the gang members." Even for someone new to the area that was common knowledge. Was he that out of touch? "Either the school doesn't care, they're gang members – not likely, I don't think – or they're just important enough in some way that the school bends over for them."

His frown deepened. "That is… concerning. I was under the impression that Winslow was a… safer environment than that."

Kiana shrugged again. "Don't know who you've been talking to, then. I've been here less than a year and even I knew it was a shithole."

From just about every chapter to the first, it's made painstakingly obvious how much free reign E88 is given, and how little anyone bothers to pretend that isn't the case.

You can count on one hand how many of the 18-odd character POVs haven't professed a desire for the neo-nazi hegemony to fall apart over their own ears, there's some shapeshifting terminator out there beating down white supremacists exclusively, but who's the mothers of fuckers with the biggest Parahuman turnout around, not a single obstacle in the way of their political leverage? Still the Empire.

They've gotten to bloat like a tick because a gang with a white privileged ideology is convenient to a white privileged society, and that makes it, interesting, that New Wave broke every rule in the book to take out Marquis, who by every account principle and practical couldn't have been worse than the Empire, and then three years later had their movement shot dead by a nazi wannabe anyway.

There's just, such a picture being drawn, all together.

And all it took was Kiana getting literally smacked with a hot blonde.

It's hard to keep track of in the sheer time compression of ACAE, but the fact is, the Nagazora Trio has never, by their own initiative, decided to interact with Amy. The closest was Bronya confronting her in the bathroom, but that's because she caught her staring at Mei, and it probably would've ended on, a less socially connective note if Vicky hadn't come and made assumptions.

Vicky has more or less singlehandedly engineered this relationship, and while the majority of the comments have focused on "Oh you think you're gonna win against a Herrscher, loooooooool," that's secondary to the actual crux of the situation is basically Vicky walking up to someone who had one or two positive interactions with her sister and saying "Hey since you're my sister's new BFFs, you should know that if your backstory catches up there'll be Consequences, not that that's a threat, just something you should know so you won't lose the rest of your privacy, oh, but here's an actual threat, if you make Amy sad I'll kill you! Bye for now!"

Like, irrelevant of the imaginary dick measuring contest between superhuman biggatons, Vicky jerked around the fight or flight instinct of a perfect stranger on the assumption that she has the bigger stick, and doesn't seem to consider that a Completely reasonable reaction would be:

"Hey Amy, did have fun with your friends? Girlfriend? Lesbian snugglepile?"
"Well, no, they said they don't want to hang out with me anymore."
"Oh I am going to murder–Errr, but, why ever would they do that?"
"Because someone told them me being around would put them all in danger and that someone threatened to kill them on the way out."
"...I, see."
"I'm sure you do."

The genre conceits of this fic means that's not likely to happen, but you sure turned a friendship Mei was neutral-positive towards into a fucking Sword of Damocles Victoria.

For a story that's mostly been running on her better angels, this chapter was really good at demonstrating Vicky's greatest depths and worst flaws, because she's a loving sister, compassionate enough to make sure people keep the protections she was never afforded, wants nothing more than to make everyone as informed as possible for their safeties, but that comes with a thoughtless disregard for boundaries, deliberately ignoring everything that calls her invincibility into question, and trying to make Amy's strongest chance at emotional connections outside their family attend to her under duress.

Vicky's failed matchmaking attempts have been a running gag for awhile, but this is yet another step in the slow turn of them stopping being funny as much as–

"Suuure, I believe that." Vicky's grin widened. "So, is it Mei or that Kiana girl? Don't think I didn't see the way you lingered on her last night~" Crystal blinked. Well, Amy being into girls would explain why Vicky kept failing to set her up with boys. But she still shouldn't have outed the girl like that, even if she knew none of them would judge. She sighed. No harm done, but she should probably check in with Amy later.
"Forgot about patrol, can't be helped," Vicky answered, smiling innocently. "I even gave you money for a nice dinner for the two of you. How was the restaurant?"

Amy's scowl deepened, and she went back to her drink. "We didn't go, because Mei already had plans for dinner. She cooks for her roommates."

"So you availed yourself of her hospitality? What did she make? Was it delicious?"

Amy glared. "...pasta."

After a long pause, waiting futilely for her sister to elaborate, she prodded again. Sometimes getting anything out of her was like pulling teeth. "And what else did you do? Come onnn, give me the sordid details!"

Amy glared, but Vicky just kept smiling. It wasn't a genuine Amy glare, just a curmudgeonly one. "Vicky, you ditched me across town because you couldn't keep track of time. I had no way back, I hadn't eaten, you abandoned me with a practical stranger, I slept like shit, and now you're prodding me like it was a hot date!"

But… it was a date. Like, definitionally, it was dinner with a cute girl she liked. Vicky half-frowned. Maybe it was a genuine Amy glare after all. But, wait. She tilted her head. "What do you mean, no way back?" Amy'd had plenty of options. She would never strand her sister in a genuinely dangerous situation.
When Vicky was around, things had color. Warmth. Vibrancy. Even when she was angry with her, even when Victoria dragged her to things that were exhausting, even on those miserable double dates with Dean and whatever random boy Vicky had settled on as the right match for her this month.

Another patient. Internal bleeding, previously-undetected cancer. She cleared both, flushed the system.

She hated those dates. Hated every moment Vicky spent hanging off of that dull, cardboard cutout of a boy. Hated him.

They were still better than… this. Than nothing. Than slow, grinding emptiness.

Another patient. Blunt force trauma, broken bones, damaged nerves. She stitched them back together.

Vicky, who knew that she liked girls now. A relief, in a way. Frustrating in many more. Of course Vicky happened upon the truth in another wild leap of assumption. Of course, she'd realize that and miss the actual truth. Her… desires.

Amy's free hand clenched, buried in her robe. Her summary to the patient was curt, even by her standards.

Vicky would only push further, she knew. Would decide that her wallflower of a sister had a crush on one of those three girls, and would try to push her towards them. Not a thought about who they really were, or what she wanted. More shopping trips. More torture, still more agonizing for its sweetness.
"Relatedly," Vicky said, moving right along from that, "Ames. I don't mean this as a threat, but if something bad happens to her, some moron kidnapping her, hurting her, that sort of thing… half the country is going to drop on the perp. PRT, independents, even some villains. And if it happens while she's with you, odds are you're going to be in the crosshairs."

"I assure you–"

"Relax, Mei, it's not a threat. Just a warning to keep her safe, and not let any crap that follows you two spill over onto her. No one wants that. Not you, not her, not me."

Mei was silent for a moment, frowning. "Excuse me. You are speaking as if she is likely to be spending more time with us in the future. Am I misunderstanding something?"

"Nah." Vicky smiled and stood up, heading for the door. Mei hurriedly rose to follow her. "Amy seems to like and trust you guys. I'd be a terrible sister if I didn't encourage her friendships."

And it was going to happen. There was no way she was going to let Amy waste this opportunity and slip back into her funk. If it was friends, good. If it was a girlfriend, better.

–Very, very telling of the dysfunction between her and Amy.

Victoria's just trying to jam together a bunch of conflicting criteria without anyone asking her to, and it's risking a lot more than her sister's dating life and a couple Parahumans she thinks she can drop if it came down to it, so like...Yeah I don't have a better way to cap this off besides saying you've done a compelling job with New Wave Causes The Next Honkai Impact the Fanfic penguin dude.

They've gotten to bloat like a tick because a gang with a white privileged ideology is convenient to a white privileged society, and that makes it, interesting, that New Wave broke every rule in the book to take out Marquis, who by every account principle and practical couldn't have been worse than the Empire, and then three years later had their movement shot dead by a nazi wannabe anyway.
I would argue that a good portion of that is that the Empire has the biggest collection of capes (and has had this power for a good while) as well as a ready source of support (we know there is an even more powerful organization withsimilar ideology in Europe. Add in that sufficient conflict/problems seems to attract the Endbringers/S9 (and possibly other mobile S class threats) and the problem because what the cost of removing the Empire is. Everyone seems to hate them but no one seems willing to pay the cost to get rid of them (and the full scale gang war cused by their unmasking in canon brought both the S9 and Leviathan).

As for why their political leverage is intact, how confident are you that your actions wouldn't turn the city into a battleground. The PRT seems pretty happy to be soft on the ABB until Lung is gone + they have a mad bomber at which point it can't get much worse. Marquis had a single weakness, no meaningful outside support, and wasn't tied to one of the Bays major employers and it still required the entire BBB to break their own rules to deal with (and it is pretty clear that the end result was a worse of city). Like it or not, the Empire is the most powerful armed force in Brokton Bay and is more likely to get outside reinforcements. The failure is that they were allowed to grow to the state we see them at.

Government works because you have the monopoly on force. The Empire has more parahumans (possibly more powerful too) and the ABB has Lung who stood off the entire BB PRT. At the start of canon BB is a failed state and even without taking into account Scion nothing we see indicates that would have changed. Shattering the balance of power and hoping to improve things is a risky endeavors as can be seen in canon and elsewhere. Sometimes it works and after a messy transition period outcome you end up in a better place and other times you find out that you either hit the wrong pillar, failed to take advantage of the chaos, or lacked the tools to do so.

Vicky may well set off the next Honkai eruption (and you have done an excellent job or explaining how Vicky's well meaning but poorly chosen actions could lead to it) and depending on the scale and outcome, it may well end up helping because other than outside intervention (or a sufficiently powerful cape) then BB is fucked.

Last edited:
we know there is an even more powerful organization withsimilar ideology in Europe.
Offhand note, may have mentioned before, but Gessellschaft doesn't exist in this fic, by the by. Schicksal strangled them in the cradle.

And yet, there's still something Fucky about the Empire.

And yeah, there's no question that the PRT has the power to root out the Empire if they want to badly enough. But as you've identified, there are major issues with just coming down on them with raw force, both practical (as you said) and PR wise. If you were the PRT, how inclined would you be to risk kicking off Waco 2.0, This Time With More Collateral? Do you want that PR shitstorm? Are you willing to get dragged in front of Congress for months or years of hearings? How many dead kids are your political enemies going to trot out?

And even if you are willing to take the long view and do it anyway, what are the opportunity costs and knock-on effects? If you move PRT mechanized forces (arguably the greater part of their raw force power, though it hasnt been dug into yet) away from their positions, people die when theres a Honkai Beast incursion they aren't there to stop. If you move capes in from other cities, what are the locals going to do while they know the law is busy across the country? If you deploy the really big guns like Alexandria or Legend, have them really go all out, how is someone like Otto going to take advantage of that? Are you going to be able to keep their public friendly image if they have to cut loose and someone has a phone? How much is it going to cost to rebuild the city if it's devastated by massive cape battle?

And all that assumes that you can be sure your operation isn't gonna get leaked or sabotaged by sympathizers.

It's an intractable mess, and the political will and short term incentives just... aren't there. And so it remains a blight on the country, both morally and politically.

Last edited:
I would argue that a good portion of that is that the Empire has the biggest collection of capes (and has had this power for a good while) as well as a ready source of support (we know there is an even more powerful organization withsimilar ideology in Europe. Add in that sufficient conflict/problems seems to attract the Endbringers/S9 (and possibly other mobile S class threats) and the problem because what the cost of removing the Empire is. Everyone seems to hate them but no one seems willing to pay the cost to get rid of them (and the full scale gang war cused by their unmasking in canon brought both the S9 and Leviathan).

90% of the Empire's support comes from the United States. The reason they have so many capes is because white supremacists from across America come to Brockton Bay as the mecca of white supremacy to offer their support, and the number fluctuates fast as people die, burn out from dealing with Kaiser, or return to their battles at home, but are quickly replaced with new pilgrims from the legion of white supremacists in the US.

The only actual Brockton locals in the Empire's lineup are Kaiser, Fenja/Menja, and Purity. Maybe the Herrens are from Brockton-adjacent New England back country, which would add Rune, Othala, and Victor to that list. Everyone else is here on a pilgrimage to the concept of racism.

As for why their political leverage is intact, how confident are you that your actions wouldn't turn the city into a battleground. The PRT seems pretty happy to be soft on the ABB until Lung is gone + they have a mad bomber at which point it can't get much worse. Marquis had a single weakness, no meaningful outside support, and wasn't tied to one of the Bays major employers and it still required the entire BBB to break their own rules to deal with (and it is pretty clear that the end result was a worse of city).

Two important things.

A: The BBB didn't break any rules to deal with Marquis other than the unwritten ones. They especially did not break their own rules, because their own rules are the New Wave movement, man up and face the consequences of your actions, wearing a dollar-store mask does not immunize you from prosecution, those are their rules and hitting Marquis at his house was in perfect accordance with them.

B: The end result was not a worse-off city. Prior to Marquis's fall, Brockton Bay was a villain city on the border of being marked Hive of Scum and Villainy, badly-off enough that an entire Protectorate division got spun off to settle things down. Bad as 2011 is? The 90s were worse. The Protectorate may not be up to the task today but back then they weren't there at all. Marquis was a brutal fuck that'd kill his own people for failure, and be much worse to his enemies. His code was worth spit and only existed to support his self-image as a genteel and gentlemanly villain.

The current gangs are monstrous, and in terms of violence-on-the-streets Marquis outdid them all put together. He was just equal-opportunity with that violence, rather than sharply targeted. This man was in the same degree of violence as the Teeth.

Now don't get me wrong, the fact that the Empire was allowed to persist and dominate the Brockton Bay crime scene and exert heavy cultural influence has done a lot of damage. But it had nothing to do with the fall of Marquis, and everything to do with leaving the Empire intact. This isn't on New Wave, this is on the US government for not sending the Triumvirate on a thunder run, because as far as they were concerned, the Nazis were more acceptable than whatever else they had the assault teams doing. New Wave / the BBB were six capes, they did not have the capability to gang-beat the Empire into submission, they did have the capability to take on Marquis, and y'know one super-brutal crime lord off the streets may not be a pack of fascists stopped but it is still a few hundred less murders per year.

(Given Brockton Bay's economic situation there was almost certainly an outright communist group back in the 90s, and you know the government hammer came down to land on that)

Now don't get me wrong, the fact that the Empire was allowed to persist and dominate the Brockton Bay crime scene and exert heavy cultural influence has done a lot of damage. But it had nothing to do with the fall of Marquis, and everything to do with leaving the Empire intact.
To play devil's advocate for a moment: ethically speaking, how easy is it to separate the two? If you have one thing you can control (whether or not you take out the Marquis), to what extent does the obvious fallout (the Empire taking advantage of the power vacuum) still fall on you? If you push over a domino, is it really fair to go "well it only started a chain because no one pulled out the middle one?" If he was still here, the Empire wouldn't have as much free reign to act, that's sort of unquestionable. Does that make it a better world?

These are the kinds of questions New Wave grappled with back then, and grappled with in the years following it. They're the questions that their kids have had to examine too, as they get old enough to really start thinking about it.

To play devil's advocate for a moment: ethically speaking, how easy is it to separate the two? If you have one thing you can control (whether or not you take out the Marquis), to what extent does the obvious fallout (the Empire taking advantage of the power vacuum) still fall on you? If you push over a domino, is it really fair to go "well it only started a chain because no one pulled out the middle one?" If he was still here, the Empire wouldn't have as much free reign to act, that's sort of unquestionable. Does that make it a better world?

These are the kinds of questions New Wave grappled with back then, and grappled with in the years following it. They're the questions that their kids have had to examine too, as they get old enough to really start thinking about it.

I mean, when it's literally the other guy's job to pull out the middle one, it is pretty fair to say that's not your responsibility at that point. New Wave believed the government would do its job. They don't have full responsibility for every single thing that happens in Brockton Bay - all they can ever do is their own part, and count on others to do the rest.

And it's actually arguable whether the Empire would or wouldn't have had as much free reign. Yeah, Marquis would be limiting their ability to act, but Marquis would have a lot more room to act, and he's much more brutal (if thankfully less targeted). So first you have to weigh whether the Empire's increased freedom from removal of a rival matches the damage that rival is himself doing.

And then you have to consider how society and law enforcement will be acting in the presence of that much more brutal rival that kills many more white people. The PRT and Protectorate are going to be forced to put their focus on Marquis, which both reduces his freedom to limit the Empire's freedom of action, and prevents that focus from being placed on the Empire and limiting their free reign.

Marquis's survival might arguably increase the Empire's free reign, just because he's a big old distraction that draws a lot more public attention that the PRT has to manage.

This would have been a much simpler calculation if New Wave could rely on the government to shank Nazis, but they were young, white, and innocent back then. They thought they could.

A: The BBB didn't break any rules to deal with Marquis other than the unwritten ones. They especially did not break their own rules, because their own rules are the New Wave movement, man up and face the consequences of your actions, wearing a dollar-store mask does not immunize you from prosecution, those are their rules and hitting Marquis at his house was in perfect accordance with them.
Point of order: Wasn't BBB masked, and had faced a metric shitstorm for breaking the UW with Marquis, leading to the changeover to New Wave and unmasked heroism, and then to Fleur's death?

Point of order: Wasn't BBB masked, and had faced a metric shitstorm for breaking the UW with Marquis, leading to the changeover to New Wave and unmasked heroism, and then to Fleur's death?
They were masked at the time, and unmasked after taking down Marquis. It's an open question whether or not this was always their plan, and certainly the UW did not exist in the way they do now (if only due to less inertia).

Also, while Fleur's death and Lightstar's subsequent departure from the team stalled their movement, that didn't happen until 2007. Six years after they went maskless.

There was no metric shitstorm noted. That's a presumption in Worm fanon that inflates the Unwritten Rules into meaning much more than they really do.

And as noted, they declared New Wave immediately afterward, a complete rejection of the Unwritten Rules from the basic concept, a statement that what happened to Marquis was how it should always be for supercriminals, just as it is for ones that don't have superpowers. That they get fucking arrested wherever they are and whatever they're doing. Whether that was their plan isn't made explicit, but it's directly in chain with their logic for launching the attack in the first place, and any shitstorm they faced left no evidence in the text. Not being in the text doesn't mean it didn't happen but it does mean there are no direct indicators it did.

Vicky: Mei is so, Goddamn in everything.
Kiana: I knooooooow.
Vicky: Don't you get jealous?
Kiana:
Kiana: The reality you imagine where I'm not on my knees in gratitude everyday is too horrifying to imagine.
Mei: How do I explain I have an unofficial committed marriage that I don't intend to consummate but will always remain loyal to?
HoT: (If that nerd looks at my woman I'm gonna split the difference and both their spines.)
Mei: Shush.
Kiana: I have two arms for as many beautiful women who want to jump into them.
Mei: Kiana.
Kiana: With Mei's approval.
Bronya: Message unclear, mission to save wife from interdimensional imprisonment is higher priority.
Vicky: ...My sister can pull these babes, with god as my witness.
Amy: Vicky I swear if you don't shut your whore mouth–
I do really really love these dialogues you do lmfaooooo
Literally everyone is "Oh boy Vicky thinks she gets to start shit" and that's why I respect you all.
Thinking about it, it really is interesting how much being in a position of relative impunity her whole life has implicitly shaped Vicky's whole perspective. She's never once been up against anyone or anything she can't either overpower or at least square off against on roughly even footing, and from this she seems to have arrived at the unconsidered assumption that she never will. Or at least, not without seeing it coming - she might have enough self-awareness to at least be aware than an Endbringer or whatever is a bad matchup still, but she definitely assumes that there's no way that somebody who hasn't already been tagged as a threat on that level would be a real problem for her.

Bit more on this later.
I keep telling myself that here is where I'll be able to move through time a bit faster... no it'll be here...

Someday I might even be right!
Honestly, while there's probably an inherent limitation on how well it's possible to make such an assessment accurately without insider knowledge of the planned plot, it kinda seems like it's less about where we are in the plot and more how many balls you're keeping in the air? It feels like it's not even necessarily how much stuff is happening that's setting the pace where it is so much as it's how many POVs we're getting on what is happening. I wouldn't actually call that a complaint or criticism because getting perspective in stereo, as it were, is actually super useful for getting a more nuanced and in-depth understanding of something. And that's something your fic has really been making hay of, which I've been consistently enjoying. But it does come with that tradeoff of slowing down the overall progression of the story.
–Very, very telling of the dysfunction between her and Amy.

Victoria's just trying to jam together a bunch of conflicting criteria without anyone asking her to, and it's risking a lot more than her sister's dating life and a couple Parahumans she thinks she can drop if it came down to it, so like...Yeah I don't have a better way to cap this off besides saying you've done a compelling job with New Wave Causes The Next Honkai Impact the Fanfic penguin dude.
Here's where I come back to what I was going to say more on earlier. Something that I was thinking about more after reading your thoughtful posts about her is how Vicky is really somebody who has existed in a position of relative power along virtually every possible axis for her entire life, and has rather evidently never really thought about that. She's (relatively) rich, certainly at least well-off. She's white. She's a Parahuman, and specifically a personally powerful one even by the standards of paras at that. She's on the good side of the power structures of her society. She's socially proficient and doesn't really seem to struggle with how to deal with people socially ever.

It's true that she's on the wrong end of male privilege, but at this point her character is well enough established that I pretty strongly feel that if e.g. you asked her if she ever worries about sexism she would just breezily assert that she doesn't need to worry about that, because if anyone tries to pull that bullshit on her or her people then they'll get their faces pushed in (socially or otherwise) by her, then her family, then her family's allies. Which, yeah, that's great for you boo, but it's kinda missing the point to a large extent.

Vicky's a good kid at heart, but that kind of situation still inescapably has an effect. And it looks like in her case the main manifestation of that effect (or at least one of the most prominent) is that it's left her with a rather attenuated grasp on the concept that power comes with responsibility. She's grasped the part where having power means you should try to use it to help and protect other people who are weaker, and good on her for that. But she really doesn't understand that the other part of what "power comes with responsibility" means is that you have a responsibility to be very conscious of how using your power affects others, because when you exist in a position of relative power to those around you then you can hurt them without ever meaning to just by not being careful about how you exercise your power.

Victoria Dallon has never once been in a position where she felt helpless against somebody else in her life. And it's left her with a critical lack of empathy (or more charitably, a blind spot) for people who have. And that means she never thinks about whether somebody might feel that way about her or what that might mean for them.
The only actual Brockton locals in the Empire's lineup are Kaiser, Fenja/Menja, and Purity. Maybe the Herrens are from Brockton-adjacent New England back country, which would add Rune, Othala, and Victor to that list. Everyone else is here on a pilgrimage to the concept of racism.
My first thought on reading this was "well, at least that's sorta good for other places because it means their Nazis are somewhere else?" And then my second thought immediately afterwards was "no it fucking isn't, their Nazis are getting a ground floor tour of how to run a parahuman-backed white supremacist empire complete with hands-on learning experiences, and then they're coming back."

Brockton Bay isn't just a racist shithole. It's a fucking finishing school for Nazis. Every time I think my opinion of this city has hit rock bottom, they bust out the jackhammers and start breaking rock for further excavation.

Last edited:
Back