Zephon - post-apoc strategy from the makers of Gladius

Grey Rook

Genuine Nerd

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rE-_gbZFusQ&pp=ygUQWkVQSE9OIGNpbmVtYXRpYw%3D%3D

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5conx9rSKOc&pp=ygUGWmVwaG9u

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481170/ZEPHON/
ZEPHON is a game from the makers of Gladius: Relics of War which moves the action from the grim darkness of the distant future to a post-apocalyptic near future Earth which has recently come out of a war so devastating that it essentially randomized the Earth's surface. You are one of a variety of individuals who have managed to attract enough of a following to start rebuilding something like a society. In a world beset by the remnants of an alien invasion, where Skynet is still trying to fortify its cities, where alien monsters and eldritch horrors walk among men, what will you do to survive?

Last edited:
Played the demo, mostly concluded that the grimdarkery without even the excuse of 'it's WH40K' doesn't really appeal to me. Nor do the aggressively quirky characters. Not expecting to buy this.

The way it has of giving everyone almost but not quite the same tech tree to work with might be interesting.

Played the demo, mostly concluded that the grimdarkery without even the excuse of 'it's WH40K' doesn't really appeal to me. Nor do the aggressively quirky characters. Not expecting to buy this.

The way it has of giving everyone almost but not quite the same tech tree to work with might be interesting.
Well that's a shame. I hope that you're able to find something which appeals to you more.

One question, though; why do you call the characters 'aggressively quirky'?

This seem quite interesting, and I was planing to give it a go but unfortunately didn't have time (stupid time-limited demos ;)). I'll keep an eye open though; they seem to run demos quite often.

This seem quite interesting, and I was planing to give it a go but unfortunately didn't have time (stupid time-limited demos ;)). I'll keep an eye open though; they seem to run demos quite often.
Yeah, I really don't know why they do that but I really don't like it. I don't know when or if the next demo will be released, but I hope it'll be soon.

Well that's a shame. I hope that you're able to find something which appeals to you more.
I have plenty of games, I'm not worried.
One question, though; why do you call the characters 'aggressively quirky'?
Do you remember the list of playable leaders from the demo? I remember most of it at least...

- Human soldier who mysteriously came back from the dead and now has regeneration which he partially shares with his followers by distributing flesh samples. Other than the looming mystery of his immortality might be fine?
- Human quasi-aristocrat epicure who went through the apocalypse as a sheltered kid. Somehow he's really good at administration and a popular leader though the description wants you to understand him as catastrophically out of touch and unthinkingly greedy.
- Mind upload made alive by ZEPHON, trapped in an immobile (ZEPHON-made?) form. This is the one I played. Tormented and somehow only content when killing with the special strategic-range siege cannon, though apparently fine at the job of leadership (so long as you don't mind being limited to one city.)
- Miserably stereotypical evil scientist whose putative high ideals really mean 'research goes better with a side of torture right', the other 'tech' leader.
- The bleed-aligned witches three. Might actually be the least annoying characters in some ways (because they didn't seem to have much but backstory) except I don't actually want to play bleed, the other tendencies are written shitty enough already but bleed is clear Team Evil. Can't actually guess what their character writing would be like, of which there's quite a bit in play.

Somebody might think this sounds like a positive, and that's fine. I think I don't want to play as any of these people. Or anybody else the writers behind these people might come up with probably. ZEPHON, take us already, we're done.

Back