Worst and best behaved mercenaries?

Apocal

Alpha Technoblack
So I've been reading my way through Furies: War in Europe 1450-1700 (thanks for the recommendation lurker!) which covers a pretty broad swath of history, but manages to stay focused by examining the more seedy, largely unrecognized underbelly of warfare during the time period. I think it is pretty interesting, but a lot of people are far better-versed in period than I am from reading one book.

So, from this era of warfare in Europe and nearby regions, who were the worst and best behaved mercenaries with regards to conduct off the battlefield?

Well off the top of my head I would say the worst would be the various merc companies operating in Germany during the 30 year war, while the best the Italian condotieri?

If you mean well behaved by their behaviour against civilians that is. If you are talking about work ethics and battle worth then the reverse.

Last edited:
I believe the Swiss had quite a good reputation for discipline etc. but I am unsure how much that translate into their behaviour off the battlefield.

I'm sure someone will correct me on this... But based on some research three years ago, I believe the original schwarze reiter mercenary company were generally well behaved and surprisingly disciplined on the battlefield. I may be mixing them up, but I don't think so.

Executive Outcomes. Not sure all their history but they did offer to go into Rwanda pro bono (or at least without prior agreement on payment) and stop the slaughter.

I believe it is a war crime to this day to hire Swiss mercenaries.

Really? I thought the practice of employing Swiss stopped because their constitutional principle of neutrality.

And yeah their behaviour on the battlefield was extreme but I think the Op was more interested in the behaviour off the battlefield where, to my understanding, the Swiss were very disciplined garrison troops.

Really? I thought the practice of employing Swiss stopped because their constitutional principle of neutrality.
Two things:

Swiss mercenaries were sought during the late 15th and early 16th centuries as being an effective fighting force, until their somewhat rigid battle formations became vulnerable to arquebuses and artillery being developed at the same time.

With the passing of the amendment to the Swiss Constitution of 1874 banning the recruitment of Swiss citizens by foreign states, such contractual relations ceased. Military alliances had already been banned under the Swiss constitution of 1848, though troops still served abroad when obliged by treaties.

They were vulnerable, and then banned by the Swiss state.

Are we talking in terms of brutality or in terms of turning on their employers?

And yeah their behaviour on the battlefield was extreme but I think the Op was more interested in the behaviour off the battlefield where, to my understanding, the Swiss were very disciplined garrison troops.
For a time, France literally did not think fighting a war was possible unless you had a core of Swiss Pikemen to base an army around.

It only stopped being the mercenary to always try and higher when the Lansknechts arose. BTW, it is to be noted that the Lansknechts were never as good as the swiss, but were still very good and easier to hire. The two groups also very much did not like each other. The Swiss had the advantage in the push of pike. And it is important to note they used the same tactics, which is why they became competitive with the swiss. You got forces that could competantly use Swiss Tactics, and were easier to aquire. However, the Swiss were better, so if you could afford them, you got the swiss, but if you needed to save money, you got Lansknechts.

The swiss mercanary died out due to the Battle of Binocca. What happened? The swiss tried to assault from the front the Spanish/Imperial(seeing as the emperor at the time was Charles V, they are the same group, for they both have the same ruler at the time) Trecio. BTW, this is pretty typical of the Swiss tactics.It went poorly. The swiss afterwords became far more hesitent to charge headlong, to the surpise of many.

Gone was the Push of Pike. Now, it was the Pike and Shot.

Two years later, The Battle of the Sesia saw Arquebusiers using Pike and Shot manage to prevail against heavy calavry on open ground. As one might guess, these two battles brought a end to the Swiss dominance in war. One that lasted 2 centuries.

They later adapted to use Pike and Shot, but they no longer used tactics unique enough to justify using them alone.

Last edited:
Which mercenaries were notorious for turning on employers who shortchanged them, forgot to pay, or got outbidded?

Once upon a time, there was a group of mercenaries called the Mamertines, who dwelled in the fictional realm of 'Italy'.

They stopped and rested in the town of Mesanna, and because the Xbox wasn't invented, grew restless and captured the town. Said town belonged to Carthage. The bustling trade town became a raiding base. When Hiero II, Tyrant of Syracuse, went to assault and retake the city, they asked Carthage if they can help to keep the town, and the Carthaginians said sure, to the anger of the citizens of the Mesanna.

Then they decided Carthage sucks, grew uncomfortable under their 'protection', and because Carthaginians were Trekkies, they decided to ask the Romans for protections, under the pretense of "hey, we're Italians AND Star Wars fans" and the Romans were cool with that and the Mamertines came under the protection of Roman power. Syracuse allied itself with Carthage, asking for their protection.

It is the equivalent of a company of mercs taking over Los Angeles, asking the Californian governor if they can keep it, said 'yes', then asking the Nevadans to "liberate us from the evil Californians".

With these two major powers at odds, thus begins the Epic Fantasy Best Selling War Story that is ... the First Punic War.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, there was a group of mercenaries called the Mamertines, who dwelled in the fictional realm of 'Italy'.

They stopped and rested in the town of Mesanna, and because the Xbox wasn't invented, grew restless and captured the town. Said town belonged to Carthage. The bustling trade town became a raiding base. When Hiero II, Tyrant of Syracuse, went to assault and retake the city, they asked Carthage if they can help to keep the town, and the Carthaginians said sure, to the anger of the citizens of the Mesanna.

Then they decided Carthage sucks, grew uncomfortable under their 'protection', and because Carthaginians were Trekkies, they decided to ask the Romans for protections, under the pretense of "hey, we're Italians AND Star Wars fans" and the Romans were cool with that and the Mamertines came under the protection of Roman power. Syracuse allied itself with Carthage, asking for their protection.

It is the equivalent of a company of mercs taking over Los Angeles, asking the Californian governor if they can keep it, said 'yes', then asking the Nevadans to "liberate us from the evil Californians".

With these two major powers at odds, thus begins the Epic Fantasy Best Selling War Story that is ... the First Punic War.
Carthage has a hilariously poor history with mercenaries.

... most of them? I mean, many will not accept bids once working, but they're mercenaries, at best they're going to quit.

Then, were there notable mercenaries band which would, while under contract, and with their employer still able to pay them, would defect if an enemy offered them a better pay?

Then, were there notable mercenaries band which would, while under contract, and with their employer still able to pay them, would defect if an enemy offered them a better pay?
I don't know about this in the specific, though it certainly happened.
Also, i believe the swiss refused to fight if there was a swiss band in the other army as well. it might not have been the swiss but it was certainly a famed mercenary band.

From my understanding that would be extremely rare, as once you did that you would be establishing that no one can trust you. And if prospective employers don't trust you, they won't employ you.

Okay, let's get some things straight here:

Mercenaries, for the sake of this discussion I will separate into three categories: antiquity, medieval, and modern.

1. Antiquity mercenaries, as 75% points out, are most used, or at least the most noticeable, around the time of the Punic Wars. Carthage, being a very mercantile nation, hired mercenaries to fight their wars, because that's how they fought their wars. Hamilcar Barca, was noted to be one of the very best mercenary leaders out there, to the point he turned his group of mercenaries into loyal soldiers of the Barca family. His son, Hannibal, would later be known as the guy who gave Rome a run for their money later down the line.

So while indeed, some antiquity mercenaries are dickbags like the Mamertines, as what we can see during the Punic Wars and after, until the fall of Rome, mercenaries came in a variety of traits. You got your professionals, your mediocre ones, your backstabbers, and your bandit armies. Seeing this is antiquity, a time where professional soldiers are rather common, then mercenaries were not used as much during the Free Company reign of the 14th century in Italy.

The Condeotierri would simply refuse to fight the enemy, which is close.

Condottieri were simply the captain, general, or leader of a free company. It's more or less a blanket term for 'leaders of Free Companies'.

2. Medieval mercenaries, too are like the ones in antiquity. But what most people remember them for are their involvements in 14th century Italy, around the Late Middle Ages/Early Renaissance period. The Hundred Years Wars has ended, England and France have for the most part disbanded their armies, and now you've got violent men who are really good at killing without a job. Thus they became, for the most part, bandit armies. The more professional ones are the ones people remember, the famous or infamous Free Companies.

Among these famous mercenary companies were Great Company from Germany, White Company from England, and Catalan Company from Spain.

Well yes, and no. Out of the Free Companies, White Company was known as the most trustworthy. But that said, John Hawkwood, still switched sides like six times during his years in Italy, from Pisa, to Perugia, for the Papacy, all the way until his last round with the Florences until his death, White Company more or less was disbanded after that.

Now, the thing about the Free Companies is that they WERE total assholes douchebags. As, this quote verifies:

"A multitude of villains of various nations associated in arms by the greed to appropriate the fruits of labor of innocent and unarmed people, let loose to every cruelty, to extort money, methodically devastating the countryside ..." - Pope Urban V.

White Company, THE most trustworthy (really shows to you the quality of these mercs) of mercenaries, were hated by many, and at one point, each member of the Company was offered a bounty of 30 florins for each member killed.

These Free Companies would travel around Italy, threatening to sack a city if they don't pay them with loot or food. Thousands of men not working on the fields and taking food from honest farmers? You can see why Pope Urban called them total d-bags.

And this is why Machiavelli's the Prince was thought of as a satire, because people at this point had no proper standing army, unless you were Spanish or the Ottomans. While it was possible for these Companies to be beaten by townsfolks, as shown when the Perugia and Sienna beat back White Company, they always came back Alfoso Profeessione once wrote describing the Free Companies, "a hydra with a hundred heads, once one was defeated, there was always another." Truly, these communes who won these battles won Pyrrhic Victories.

3. Modern mercenaries of today are more or less security guards with military grade equipment.

Sure, you got the terrible Executive Outcomes and their heinous crimes, but as bad as they are, I think most of you would rather deal with them or Blackwater/Xi rather than the Free Companies.

Any respectable Private Military Company would hire men of military background, of good physical and mental health, and you know, NOT psychopaths. Because psychopaths are bad business. Modern mercenaries of today are decent people who spend their time in exotic countries guarding stuff, people, and performing combat roles for the government/faction they're working for. See Blackwater and their involvement in the Iraq War.

So no, modern mercenaries are NOT Far Cry's mercenaries.

Here's a handy PDF if you want to read more about the Free Companies, and here's an excellent documentary called Mercenaries In The Modern World if you have an hour and a half of free time to learn about the soldiers of fortune of today.

EDIT: I should note that I left out Swiss Pikemen for a reason, and that's because these dudes deserve a post of their own.

Last edited:
3. Modern mercenaries of today are more or less security guards with military grade equipment.

Sure, you got the terrible Executive Outcomes and their heinous crimes, but as bad as they are, I think most of you would rather deal with them or Blackwater/Xi rather than the Free Companies.

Any respectable Private Military Company would hire men of military background, of good physical and mental health, and you know, NOT psychopaths. Because psychopaths are bad business. Modern mercenaries of today are decent people who spend their time in exotic countries guarding stuff, people, and performing combat roles for the government/faction they're working for. See Blackwater and their involvement in the Iraq War.

So no, modern mercenaries are NOT Far Cry's mercenaries.

Here's a handy PDF if you want to read more about the Free Companies, and here's an excellent documentary called Mercenaries In The Modern World if you have an hour and a half of free time to learn about the soldiers of fortune of today.

EDIT: I should note that I left out Swiss Pikemen for a reason, and that's because these dudes deserve a post of their own.

Well considering what blackwater got up to into Iraq not far off from far cry.

PMC's are bad as you have no idea what you are getting in terms of quality You might be able to weed out the fake SEAL team 6 operator ,but,
a lot harder to check a chancer who claims to be infantry or something less high profile.
Their in it for money so going to cost more than real soldiers and you have less control over them.
No one cares about them so if you let the use of them proliferate you can have your small proxy wars at a higher cost ,but, the voters won't care.

Well considering what blackwater got up to into Iraq not far off from far cry.

PMC's are bad as you have no idea what you are getting in terms of quality You might be able to weed out the fake SEAL team 6 operator ,but,
a lot harder to check a chancer who claims to be infantry or something less high profile.
Their in it for money so going to cost more than real soldiers and you have less control over them.
No one cares about them so if you let the use of them proliferate you can have your small proxy wars at a higher cost ,but, the voters won't care.

I don't see why not. It's not difficult to check if the guy joining your PMC is a poser or not. One call to the base they serve in and that's all is needed.

Yeah, not gonna pretend Blackwater did horrible stuff, but again, that really is more of the head of the company's faults, seeing as most low grade soldiers are glorified security guards.

Back