WI: Schoonebeek is discovered in 1933 or 1934?

What if in this scenario the Schoonebeek oil field, the largest oil field in Western Europe is discovered in this time period? How would the Germans react? The Allies? Would Germany set forth a claim to the oil field? If so, by how much percent? If Netherlands rebuked their offer? How would the Germans react? Would this mean no Rhineland? No Anschluss? No Munich pact? The oil field was a couple miles from the border IIRC, link here:

Google Maps

I'm asking this, as I am really seeing a chance for an interesting discussion as to how the politics of Europe might play out. If Anschluss and the Czech crisis occur, might this butterfly away the Invasion of Poland? Might Germany be able to then become a stronger force than OTL, as Schoonebeek even a quarter of receiving production, would still constitute a significant part of Germany's oil need, and allow them to import more metals to make more plane, tanks and possibly factories?

What if in this scenario the Schoonebeek oil field, the largest oil field in Western Europe is discovered in this time period? How would the Germans react? The Allies? Would Germany set forth a claim to the oil field? If so, by how much percent? If Netherlands rebuked their offer? How would the Germans react? Would this mean no Rhineland? No Anschluss? No Munich pact? The oil field was a couple miles from the border IIRC, link here:

Google Maps

I'm asking this, as I am really seeing a chance for an interesting discussion as to how the politics of Europe might play out. If Anschluss and the Czech crisis occur, might this butterfly away the Invasion of Poland? Might Germany be able to then become a stronger force than OTL, as Schoonebeek even a quarter of receiving production, would still constitute a significant part of Germany's oil need, and allow them to import more metals to make more plane, tanks and possibly factories?
It'd be nice, but Schoonebeek on seems to produce about 3000 barrels a day? That's a touch over a million barrels per year. The Nazis were short about 2 million barrels per month.
The Role of Synthetic Fuel In World War II Germany

It'd be nice, but Schoonebeek on seems to produce about 3000 barrels a day? That's a touch over a million barrels per year. The Nazis were short about 2 million barrels per month.
The Role of Synthetic Fuel In World War II Germany

Actually, its actual production reached up 24000 barrels per day back in 1954, when it first started production in 1947. Even with this production, Dutch themselves never seem to take drilling seriously and never decided to increase production. The Germans will suck oil fields dry for their war effort.

Meanwhile, the Matzen oil field of Austria has reserves of 510 million barrels, while Scoonebeek has 1000 million.

Oil and gas in Austria - Vienna Basin Section

In the article, the discovery of Matzen has production in the Vienna Basin to grow from 1.3 million to 3.6 million tons per year. So in this case ((1000/510) * 2.3) would make Schoonebeek have yearly production of 4.5 million tons per year, or 30 million barrels per year, or 2.5 million barrels per month.

Keep in mind oil is useless without being refined into fuel or useable goods/commodities. Of course Nazi Germany knew that, which is why it invested heavily in oil refineries in the 30s - refineries that were built with U.S. assistance. So of course we knew where they were and of course we bombed the hell out of them as soon as we could.

It'd give them more oil in the start I suppose, but oil supplies when they were launching the Blitz wasn't exactly an issue. It was what to do when the Allies suddenly started hitting back and actually refining the stuff, or seeing the stuff set afire when the storage depots were bombed, became the problem.

Keep in mind oil is useless without being refined into fuel or useable goods/commodities. Of course Nazi Germany knew that, which is why it invested heavily in oil refineries in the 30s - refineries that were built with U.S. assistance. So of course we knew where they were and of course we bombed the hell out of them as soon as we could.

It'd give them more oil in the start I suppose, but oil supplies when they were launching the Blitz wasn't exactly an issue. It was what to do when the Allies suddenly started hitting back and actually refining the stuff, or seeing the stuff set afire when the storage depots were bombed, became the problem.

It would give their armies more mobility. Sure Schoonebeek, wasn't going to meet all their oil demands, but its was something significant, it would probably put in place a couple of factories dedicated to making trucks, instead of synthetic fuel before the war.

Back