Why does Wales get less focus than Ireland or Scotland?

ArlequineLunaire

The future's now, old man! (Avatar drawn by me)
Pronouns
She/Her
Something I was curious about. Wales typically gets less media attention than its Gaelic brethren Scotland and Ireland, both in fiction and in real life, even Cornwall can claim the typical pirate accent.

There are some reasons I can think of. Wales doesn't have a big blockbuster movie associated with it like Braveheart for Scotland (even though Braveheart really reflects America's view of Scotland more than Scotland proper), nor Scotland's independent streak and oil reserves. It also doesn't have as huge a diaspora as Ireland or a holiday as famous as St Patrick's, nor all the controversy that comes with Northern Ireland.

I should say Wales is a pretty common filming location for shows (e.g The Prisoner, revived Doctor Who) due to having more open wilderness than England.

Still, for famous works set in Wales, only thing I can think of is the show Torchwood. There is the national epic The Mabinogion, which inspired The Prydain Chronicles and then Disney's The Black Cauldron (er, one of their worst performing movies). The King Arthur legend has roots in Wales, though has long been associated more with the rest of England.

I acknowledge that putting this thread in War & Peace is a bit of a rough fit, but I couldn't think of where else to put it (since I mainly wanted to talk about media and not politics). History and Geography do tend to be closely linked though.

Something I was curious about. Wales typically gets less media attention than its Gaelic brethren Scotland and Ireland, both in fiction and in real life, even Cornwall can claim the typical pirate accent.

There are some reasons I can think of. Wales doesn't have a big blockbuster movie associated with it like Braveheart for Scotland (even though Braveheart really reflects America's view of Scotland more than Scotland proper), nor Scotland's independent streak and oil reserves. It also doesn't have as huge a diaspora as Ireland or a holiday as famous as St Patrick's, nor all the controversy that comes with Northern Ireland.

I should say Wales is a pretty common filming location for shows (e.g The Prisoner, revived Doctor Who) due to having more open wilderness than England.

Still, for famous works set in Wales, only thing I can think of is the show Torchwood. There is the national epic The Mabinogion, which inspired The Prydain Chronicles and then Disney's The Black Cauldron (er, one of their worst performing movies). The King Arthur legend has roots in Wales, though has long been associated more with the rest of England.

I acknowledge that putting this thread in War & Peace is a bit of a rough fit, but I couldn't think of where else to put it (since I mainly wanted to talk about media and not politics). History and Geography do tend to be closely linked though.
easy: the Brits look down on them and like to pretend they don't exist. if they do get brought up around a Brit expect them to dismiss the Welsh as all being sheep enthusiasts and want to change the subject.

This leads to the rest of the world ignoring them due to lack of exposure.

I should say that, being part-Irish myself, that I was grouping Ireland together with Wales and Scotland due to their Celtic ancestry (along with Cumbria, Brittany, even Galicia). Did not mean to imply that regular Ireland was in any way 'British' (it's technically part of the Isles, but certainly not the UK).

So I guess Wales getting less attention than Scotland and Ireland is due to the land making far less of a ruckus than they did (and still do in Scotland's case). Last I heard Welsh independence supporters only make up 12% of the population.

Edit: Of course, when was the last you heard of an Australian state called 'New East Scotland' or 'New Lower Ireland'?

Last edited:
Because Whales is rather small, has few things about it to draw attention, and hasn't had a major affect on America and therefore the lion's share of English media attention. The most notable things about it are the sheep, the language, and the lunatic neighbor.

Maybe they should have called themselves 'Walesland' instead. That'd get some attention.

Because Wales hasn't really been politically or economically important since Coal got largely replaced with oil. And even before then it was mostly known for that coal and little else for a few hundred years and then being a relatively untamed area before that.

Independent Wales was admittedly a massive thorn in England for centuries going back before the Norman conquest and even after Edward the first's conquest of Wales in the late 13th century and his massive castle building spree that threatened England's finances it was still problematic and it wasn't until the early 15th when the English were finally able to secure the region with no further major welsh rebellions.

Back