Why didn't they give pikes to longbowman?

To summarize the excellent William Neade:

The bow and arrow is the greatest weapon in the world, and archers are the greatest warriors in the word. Abraham was an archer; Issac and Esau were archers; King David loved archers; the Assyrians and Persians were great archers; the Romans loved archers; the Parthians and the Turks triumphed in battle through archery. In short, archers are awesome, and the best archers in the world are the British. The battle of Crecy, the battle of Poitiers, and the battle of Agincourt proved that.

But ever since someone invented that devilish bullshit called gunpowder, archery has fallen out of fashion. This doesn't make sense. Archers can fire much faster than musketeers, are more terrifying than musketeers, are more accurate than musketeers, and are more resistant to rain. Aside from the military advantages, training bowmen also helped boost the local economy though local crafts, and the act of collective training unites communities. So we should bring the long-bowman back to Britain in the year of our lord 1627.

I have just the invention to help restore the honor of the longbow. I've invented a device that combines a longbow with a pike. This way, the archer can be protected from Calvary, just like how entrenched stakes protected the archers at Agincourt. In addition, traditional pikemen are helpless against musketeers. But my new pike-archers can out-shoot enemy musketeers. I've tried it myself at the local town green, and it works great. It isn't even that much heavier than an standard pike, and strong soldiers should have no trouble with it. In short, pike-archers are the future of warfare, and England needs to embrace them as soon as possible.

(Summarized from The Double Armed Man by William Neade)

Last edited:
As I usually do when this subject comes up I'm going to link to Sir Humphrey Barwick's discourse on the longbow vs gun that the Norseman over on SB generously translated some time ago

A Brief Discourse by Humfrey Barwick - Index

Basically, the supposed advantages longbows had over muskets/arquebuses were largely theoretical, assuming ideal conditions in battle, and a longbowman in peak condition against a arquebusier who'd never held a gun in his life. In actual combat conditions the arquebus was much more lethal and effective than its critics claimed.

That is why I've invented a new tool, the longbowpikegun, which combines three weapons into one for ultimate power. It's really not that heavy and it takes a shitload of work to make, thus stimulating the economy. We all need to start using it immediately.

The things needs to have a shield incorporated into it for improved protection. And a dagger or shortsword on a chain against enemies who get too close for the pike. And a lantern for night fighting. And a metal canteen for water or tea wouldn't hurt.

Bah!! You'll never beat the pikebowlonggun!

I up ya'll pikebowlongun and longbowpikegun to flame-which-throws-itself. Cleansing all heretics in thy holiness name. Essentially, we throw oil tar on some idiot and have him run into a heretical town and it burns to the ground. Pay now and we'll throw in some large heat resistant gunpowder bags that you can strap onto your holy warrior!

17th Century version of Sparky ? Its amusing to think that in every era there were people like that. Fanboys of particular weapons and ways of fighting. Who refused to get on with the times.

Its amusing to think that in every era there were people like that. Fanboys of particular weapons and ways of fighting. Who refused to get on with the times.
The Kingdom of England was what we might charitably describe as a backwater of military thought.

To emphasize this point, it's worth noting the context in which this notion was aired. The original manuscript, dedicated to Charles I, was published sometime in 1625. In other words, Neade was proposing the "doubly-armed man" at the very same time that Continental princes were refining warfare in the most terrible of crucibles, the Thirty Years War. The actual interest that Charles I seems to have paid to Neade and the revival of the Longbow is terribly indicative of how poorly the English gentry were failing to not only keep abreast of the developments on the Continent, but to even recognize that they were occurring. When the English Civil War began sometime afterwards the forces that were raised were terribly amateur and still attempting to perform techniques like the caracole that had been thoroughly discredited. The best of the Royalist generals was Prince Rupert of the Rhine, a German.

The Kingdom of England was what we might charitably describe as a backwater of military thought.

To emphasize this point, it's worth noting the context in which this notion was aired. The original manuscript, dedicated to Charles I, was published sometime in 1625. In other words, Neade was proposing the "doubly-armed man" at the very same time that Continental princes were refining warfare in the most terrible of crucibles, the Thirty Years War. The actual interest that Charles I seems to have paid to Neade and the revival of the Longbow is terribly indicative of how poorly the English gentry were failing to not only keep abreast of the developments on the Continent, but to even recognize that they were occurring. When the English Civil War began sometime afterwards the forces that were raised were terribly amateur and still attempting to perform techniques like the caracole that had been thoroughly discredited. The best of the Royalist generals was Prince Rupert of the Rhine, a German.
Also one of the major reasons for the outbreak of the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in the first place - the Scottish Covenanter forces which defeated Charles I in the Bishops' Wars included a lot of veterans who'd served as mercenaries in Continental conflicts.

Pike-long-musket-swords?
Isn't that a bit complicated?

I propose something simpler.

May I introduce-

The Rock

Cheap to produce, requires absolutely no maintenance, and should it break its easily replaceable.

It can be used as both a melee and a ranged weapon, and is effective against most all enemies (number of strikes may vary)

The rock is simple to use and requires absolutely no training.

Arm your army with rocks today!

Pike-long-musket-swords?

May I introduce-

The Rock

Cheap to produce, requires absolutely no maintenance, and should it break its easily replaceable.

It can be used as both a melee and a ranged weapon, and is effective against most all enemies (number of strikes may vary)

Introducing - the laser guided rock.

Pike-long-musket-swords?

May I introduce-

The Rock

Don't forget defensive applications. There are few enemy onslaughts that can't be blunted by sophisticated Hide Behind A Big Rock technology.

Pike-long-musket-swords?

May I introduce-

The Rock

Seriously though, I believe several Chinese dynasties had their crossbowmen cross-trained as spearmen, so they could also serve as line infantry.

And many Korean troops, regardless of their profession, would carry bows and arrows with them.

And many Korean troops, regardless of their profession, would carry bows and arrows with them.
Well, it is easier to justify running away when you have one. I mean, clealry you need to have sone distance to make the weapon effective.

For those who don't get the Joke, the Koreans for a long time were many things. Among them was having a military which specialized in having really bad generals and poor morale. The navy was generally their better organized and trained force, because they usually only had to deal with pirates. Which for a few centuries had the slight issue of being the Wokou. Who at their largest, had sent waves of pirates numbering in the tens of thousands of men.

Last edited:
Well, it is easier to justify running away when you have one. I mean, clealry you need to have sone distance to make the weapon effective.

For those who don't get the Joke, the Koreans for a long time were many things. Among them was having a military which specialized in having really bad generals and poor morale.

After hearing so much about the strength and resilience of Goguryeo whenever it appears in Chinese history, it's depressing to see the armies of Joseon be nothing more than a sad joke.

Back