What if humanity no longer need to sleep?

Accelerator

Banned Forever
Banned
Ok, lets say that, due to ROB, humanity no longer needs to sleep. They do get tired, but it can be dealt with via meditation and relaxation.

As a bonus, ROB also gives humans the ability to see things clear as day, no matter the light conditions.

How does this change the world?

Ok, lets say that, due to ROB, humanity no longer needs to sleep. They do get tired, but it can be dealt with via meditation and relaxation.

As a bonus, ROB also gives humans the ability to see things clear as day, no matter the light conditions.

How does this change the world?
We'd be a lot more technologically advanced.

And have no lights.

"Everything doubles", pretty much.

You're active for twice as long, meaning you get more stuff done, but you need more food and water per day to maintain that activity.

Dreams are mourned. Poets weep. Insomniacs and Narcoleptics laugh, laugh and never stop laughing. Airplane pilots regret they will now have even less things to do on long flights. How this interacts with unconsciousness and comas is going to get very interesting to the medical community. Timezones essentially stop being as much of a hassle. Parents can no longer send kids to bed early for a punishment. Bed-makers and BnBs cry.

Basically, "lots of things".

Human civilization is in many ways structured around the need to sleep. Any constant is.

So...human civilization turns over in its head. Probably doesn't collapse, but everything restructures to account for the change, and the world is in social turmoil for a while.

Houses fundamentally change since bedrooms no longer need to be a thing. I'm interested in how this would affect baby making. Also, children could learn faster, which would throw lesson plans out the window.

Houses fundamentally change since bedrooms no longer need to be a thing. I'm interested in how this would affect baby making. Also, children could learn faster, which would throw lesson plans out the window.
Kids also have a hard time staying still as it is, getting them to relax is a nightmare, and with no sleep embedded in them, they'll never not be tired.

Kids also have a hard time staying still as it is, getting them to relax is a nightmare, and with no sleep embedded in them, they'll never not be tired.
Well, OP says we still get tired, and need periods of relative inactivity ("meditation and relaxation," specifically), so they'll still get tired. But yeah, if you can't trick them into nap time, getting them to actually sit down for their rest time is going to be a nightmare.

Well, OP says we still get tired, and need periods of relative inactivity ("meditation and relaxation," specifically), so they'll still get tired. But yeah, if you can't trick them into nap time, getting them to actually sit down for their rest time is going to be a nightmare.
I think you missed a negating word in my post, but you get the gist. "Never not be tired."

Back