What if: France Develops Automobile Technology in 1775

the atom

Anarcho-Kemalist Thought Leader
Suppose that, rather than being abandoned, Nicholas-Joseph Cugnot's steam cart is given further interest by the crown, and by 1775 Cugnot produces a model nearly capable of fulfilling his original goal of being capable of carrying two tons at 7.8km an hour. How does the technology change France, Europe and the world?

Not much, I'm afraid......

The steam cart, even if fully developed, would still be horribly inefficient in terms of transportation. And I'll seriously doubt it's endurance capability.

The only logical application for the steam cart would be short distance hop for raw materials, replacing some of the early shorter railways, but will still be swooped aside as steam locomotives mature, thus making little difference with actual history.

The biggest advantage of steam carriages is that they don't panic on the battlefield, they take up a lot less space than horses, and they don't need fodder. E.g. they'd be wonderful for pulling large artillery pieces around, as well as working in sieges.

They do however, break down, require a logistics chain that isn't already in place and cannot be foraged, and cannot be pushed beyond their limit to travel faster as they must be refired and build steam at regular intervals.

Wait guys if it happened that would mean that ultimately we could had gotten NAPOLEONIAN TROOPS... IN MOTORCYCLES!

Is there a crowdfunding for a time machine somewhere?

It would be a very useful artillery tractor which I believe it was indeed attempted to be sold as (unsuccessfully). A part of that lack of success was that it had extremely poor (actually, my understanding is pretty much non-existant) rough terrain capability. It needed at least halfway decent roads to work. Plus, it was highly complex. There were a number of things that just made the technology too immature to really work out until the late 19th century.

Now I know what some of you are thinking, if they had just focused on maturing the technology, maybe they'd have it sooner. The thing is, though, is that they did. Steam cars had been continuously re-invented from the late 18th century though when they were finally perfected in the latter half of the 19th century and began to see wide agricultural use, and started to be adopted as artillery tractors. People did think it was a good idea at the time, it just took a while to figure out enough details to make it suitably practical. And until they could figure out how to make a vehicle that could go off-road (and by the time they did it became the domain of the internal combustion engine) it would've been just as good to use rail lines for long-distance logistics anyway.

Back