Welcome To Brockton Bay - A Worm Fan-Film

Welcome to Brockton Bay

Ridtom

Good. Bad. I'm the man with the Wand.

This literally came out of nowhere and it looks amazing for how short it is.

The channel was just created today and is called Parahumans

To answer questions:

I'm a VFX artist and filmmaker in LA. I've been daydreaming about making some Worm-related content for a couple years now and finally pulled the trigger on it a few months ago. I have some specific long-term projects in mind that I'll be working on for...ever, but I'm hoping to put out semi-regular content for the community on the side when possible. Probably not as elaborate as this piece, but previews of characters or scenes as I get assets finished, stand-alone bits of animation, behind the scenes stuff, etc.

I'll be posting some things I've already finished over the next few weeks or so, but I'm curious to get some feedback. Is there anything specific people are interested in seeing?

Thanks and enjoy!

Last edited:
Well if there's anything that would save Worm from web novel obscurity...

I suppose it would be to much to hope that it would be based on one of the better fanfics and not the canon story? :rolleyes:

Cenotaph, perhaps?

--

That said, it looks amazing. I'm guessing Dragon's dropping things off for Colin/'visiting', and it's very likely Taylor jogging.

One minor point - the Rig's force field doesn't protect the platform legs.

The Boardwalk is very pretty, and the little row of tourist shops right in front of the big oceanside apartments was good.

I didn't spot any Enforcers, though?

I suppose it would be to much to hope that it would be based on one of the better fanfics and not the canon story? :rolleyes:
There would have to be better fanfics that exist.

Also, this mostly going to be brief scenes or renditions of Worm, according to the creator, and he was taking requests in the Reddit thread

I love the lighting, and the bright colors in this the most. It's great to see the Worm translate to visually really well. Hope for more soon.

Given how long Worm is, I highly doubt whoever is making this will select things to animate that are from after it took a nosedive.

Well, some scenes later on should be really striking in visually animated form. The Last Stand against Behemoth, Weaver playing an RPG with kids, Zion's Reunion with Eden, basically any moment when Khepri is on screen...

That said, I'd be fine it if it simply reenacted a few scenes from earlier in the story, even though many of them aren't really as memorable. In the end, it's a personal work and it'll likely be either a public vote or the creator's whim as to what gets animated.

It looks neat, but it also looks like it could be practically any sufficiently gritty near future sci fi show. When I imagine Worm, I imagine something hyper stylized from a visual perspective, it shouldn't look realistic at all, because it's not. Worm is an edgy cartoon and it should be animated as one, somewhere between Samurai Jack and Invader Zim. :p

In a weird way, as it's a very Silver Age deconstruction, I'd almost like to see it in a Paul Dini Batman style.

Welcome to Brockton Bay Part 2

And the Reddit thread

The Siberian is here! Hope nobody minds me changing this scene slightly from the book description. I felt she needed more of a "cinematic slow-reveal" kind of moment. Don't @ me. Or do, I ain't scared.

The response when I posted the first Worm teaser was explosive, more than I'd even hoped, and it seemed like pretty much everybody was asking if I was going to make a Patreon or if there was any way they could donate to help this project, which was stunning and I didn't really have an answer. I was hesitant to make a Patreon for a number of reasons, but I realized that patrons could help me to invest in better assets, tools, and hardware, and ultimately raise the quality of the work, maybe even streamline and speed up the process. For that reason primarily I decided I could make it happen.

It also occurred to me that with all these newly modeled characters I'm designing, I can 3D-print some of them and offer them as collectibles to top backers. This will be an inconsistent reward, only whenever I'm able to finish a suitable character's design, optimize if for printing, arrange shipping, etc. Assume something like every 3 months. Due to the cost of printing and shipping physical objects they'll have to be tier-restricted, but I tried to keep the price as reasonable as possible. For everyone else I'll still have behind-the-scenes and progress updates for the stuff I'm working on, at the very least. I'm open to suggestions, too.

Lastly, just as a warning: CG creation is absurdly slow, so there will likely be months where I'm not able to finish anything that I can share so much as a screenshot of, especially at the beginning while I'm still building assets. I don't like the idea of payments going out with nothing to show for it, but I guess I just have to ask that anybody who supports this understands that this type of project doesn't lend itself to a consistent posting schedule, and there will unfortunately be gaps in content. Your patience will be greatly appreciated. In the event that I face a severe lull in progress, I can and will pause payments until I'm back on track.

So with that in mind, and with Mr Bow's blessing, I've made a Patreon. The link is below. The excitement and support this community has shown so far has been just insane. It's encouraging to think you all are here and have my back while I work on the most ambitious one-man project I've ever attempted. Thanks so much.

Patreon

Patreon is empowering a new generation of creators. Support and engage with artists and creators as they live out their passions!

All I can literally imagine is a fuckin fifty year old man sitting in a filthy panel van manually piloting his dead daughter's fursona around and making her do sexy hip shimmies on purpose.

I'm really loving the feel of all this so far. The Siberian's walk works for what she is, design looks awesome. Happy its now an active project this guy is doing. Keep it coming

Reddit Thread Heads Up
So there's been a bit of an accidental legal conundrum for those who might be wondering what happened to the Reddit Thread.

The short of it is, the creator was given permission for the patreon so long as they didn't do certain things like use the Worm/Parahumans trademark.

Well... they kind of did.And not given sufficient credit to the original work along with that.

No one thinks it's malicious, but unfortunately Bow has explained his legal team is freaking out on him because of the mess this inadvertently made.

Hopefully this clears up and we can get more content in the future

The Reddit Thread and Casting Calls are open!

This is an extra-short one, I didn't originally intend to make this at all but I found some cool animal-skull objects a while back and one thing led to another. The next phase of this will be focused more on narrative-driven content than the teasery stuff you've seen so far. I'm pretty excited about what's in the works, hope to be able to share before too long.

P.S. I'll need voice actors at some point to read a couple lines for Victoria and Imp. If you're interested in helping, please record a brief demo with a short selection from the text and send it to grahamhughesvfx@gmail.com. Imp should be able to demonstrate a properly devious cackle. (IMPORTANT: must have a real mic and be able to record in decent quality. I'm not a sound designer and cleaning up bad audio isn't among my skills.)

Thanks and enjoy!

I wasn't expecting her so quick, though she definitely makes an impression when you first meet her. Like the Grimm look as well. Adding voices too? Lovely.

Back