Voted best in category in the Users' Choice awards.
Voting is open
None, because we've never seen how elven apprentices are taught, it's also worth pointing out this is explicitly for saphery tradition of magic learning for high mages. Boney has said there are other elven traditions of magic and presumably they work different and are mono wind as well.

My impression is that trying to become an Archmage is exceedingly rare, like getting multiple PhDs rare.

There's probably a lot more focused mages that know 1 or 2 Winds well and perhaps another couple spells from another 1 or 2 Winds and use them to fulfil their immediate tasks.

become negligible and thus built up
Negligible means insignificant, you might be thinking of a different word.

We still don´t know how could he do that, but at least the method by which he may have enchanted his fortress with all eight winds could be related to this.
Nor do we know it uses all eight winds or that he did it by himself or anything about him.

Maybe we could get a human king to draw the Widowmaker, have their entire bloodline and possibly all humans cursed, and then wait several thousand years for the human version of Teclis to show up. It's a bit of a long con but there is precedent for it.
Well, Teclis grew up in a paradise and with support from his mage father. A human Teclis would likely die of disease in childhood.

Last edited:
Well, Teclis grew up in a paradise and with support from his mage father. A human Teclis would likely die of disease in childhood.
It wasn't a particularly serious post, but yeah, even Teclis in the books nearly dies during childhood from how frail he is. Even though humans are generally tougher than elves, I don't imagine that the majority of the descendants of a theoretical Khaine-empowered human king would be given similar care.

Last edited:
My impression is that trying to become an Archmage is exceedingly rare, like getting multiple PhDs rare.
You don't need to be an Archmage to use high magic. Mages can use it on the tabletop. Boney hasn't given many precise statements about the number of people who can use high magic, but we can extrapolate from one. Boney mentioned that Laurelorn has around twenty enchanters at any given time who are willing to create an enchantment that requires a sliver of ability with high magic. That's at any given time, so guessing the number of high magic enchanters Laurelorn will go up when you include people who are already available or just don't want to bother with it. That number increases further when you consider that a large number of high magic mages won't be enchanters.

I'm not certain that the Forestborn learn High Magic. Cityborn probably learn it more at least. Ulthuan, even in decline, has a much larger population than Laurelorn.

Last edited:
It wasn't a particularly serious post, but yeah, even Teclis in the books nearly dies during childhood from how frail he is. Even though humans are generally tougher than elves, I don't imagine that the majority of the descendants of a theoretical Khaine-empowered human king would be given similar care.
Especially since while the elves are a race of jocks...Humans have this tendency to be even more focused on glorifying jocks. Which is important when considering that Teclis being a twin, we need to also consider the existence of Human!Tyrion. Most Human Kings would 100% decide that Human!Tyrion is the one deserving of attention.

Nor do we know it uses all eight winds or that he did it by himself or anything about him.
We do. The flying fastness has been observed enough. The descriptions are pretty clear about it having eight towers, each radiant with single wind.

While it is true such a thing could instead come by cooperation instead of by hands of a long dead unequalled genius, his build up by the memes and just general cool factor would suffer. So I am electing to ignore that possibility :V. I also assume his authorship may be somewhat settled by his tome. Which contains exactly no insight into how he did what he did but presumably does contain that he did what he did.

We do. The flying fastness has been observed enough. The descriptions are pretty clear about it having eight towers, each radiant with single wind.

While it is true such a thing could instead come by cooperation instead of by hands of a long dead unequalled genius, his build up by the memes and just general cool factor would suffer. So I am electing to ignore that possibility :V. I also assume his authorship may be somewhat settled by his tome. Which contains exactly no insight into how he did what he did but presumably does contain that he did what he did.
The first "look at what I did to this chicken" paper.

No, it's towers are "swirling with all the Winds of Magic". Nothing about one Wind to a tower, or any indicator that the Winds are actively being used for anything. The Colleges could easily build a set of towers that each attarct one Wind, so even if it is one Wind to a tower, no indicator that he could use more than one.

A Tome that may or may not exist in quest and is mostly about his desire to build flying buildings with no mention of any other details is useless in determining anything about him other than that he existed and wanted to build flying buildings (literally all that is said of it is "Fozzrik wrote of his desire to create buildings that would move from place to place, cutting out the need for roads; where trade between towns would flourish when they contacted each other - in a quite literal sense - and whole cities coudl take to the air to traverse dense and dangerous forests or avoid rampaging armies"). And also, Fozzrick canonically disappeared with the Fastness. Presumably after writing his book, he got it to fly and then never came out again, so the book likely doesn't attribute anything to him.

Honestly, nothing about the description of the Fastness actually requires High Magic at all. A very good knowledge of how to attract Winds, sure, and an incredible enchantment to get the thing to actually fly (canon says Fozzrick used a spell to make the stone it's built of lighter than air) but nothing I would see as impossible using one Wind, or a Windherder skill like Mathilde's. And of course, even if Fozzrick did use more than one, why is there any assumption he wasn't generating Dhar when he did so? Frederick Van Hel proves one doesn't go evil overlord immediately, and Fozzrick was already more than a little mad to start.

No, it's towers are "swirling with all the Winds of Magic". Nothing about one Wind to a tower, or any indicator that the Winds are actively being used for anything. The Colleges could easily build a set of towers that each attarct one Wind, so even if it is one Wind to a tower, no indicator that he could use more than one.

A Tome that may or may not exist in quest and is mostly about his desire to build flying buildings with no mention of any other details is useless in determining anything about him other than that he existed and wanted to build flying buildings (literally all that is said of it is "Fozzrik wrote of his desire to create buildings that would move from place to place, cutting out the need for roads; where trade between towns would flourish when they contacted each other - in a quite literal sense - and whole cities coudl take to the air to traverse dense and dangerous forests or avoid rampaging armies"). And also, Fozzrick canonically disappeared with the Fastness. Presumably after writing his book, he got it to fly and then never came out again, so the book likely doesn't attribute anything to him.

Honestly, nothing about the description of the Fastness actually requires High Magic at all. A very good knowledge of how to attract Winds, sure, and an incredible enchantment to get the thing to actually fly (canon says Fozzrick used a spell to make the stone it's built of lighter than air) but nothing I would see as impossible using one Wind, or a Windherder skill like Mathilde's. And of course, even if Fozzrick did use more than one, why is there any assumption he wasn't generating Dhar when he did so? Frederick Van Hel proves one doesn't go evil overlord immediately, and Fozzrick was already more than a little mad to start.
I suppose i cannot dispute it, thought in this particular round, i would like to point out that i did not say Fozzrik used High Magic (thought i did say so previously on some occassions when his name came up). I don´t think he necessarily wielded Qhaysh, (thought i do think its a possibility), just that he had the capacity to use all eight winds. As for the reason why i don´t think he created Dhar, well you got me there. I just think he is a very cool blorbo and that he works best the way that Boney and thread seems to have built him up as a sort of immensely skilled one off mage. Kinda spoils the effect if he was a dhar infused megalomaniac, even if it would fit the modus operandi of the fortress afterwards, what with it stealing every magical knicknack it can come upon.

EDIT: Per chance, does anyone remember what year was the adventure that incorporated looting it was set in? We could take a gander at it when it decides to land if its in the future. By all accounts its passage becomes a lot easier to track once it sets for its once in a millenium landing so we might hear about it.

Last edited:
I suppose i cannot dispute it, thought in this particular round, i would like to point out that i did not say Fozzrik used High Magic (thought i did say so previously on some occassions when his name came up). I don´t think he necessarily wielded Qhaysh, (thought i do think its a possibility), just that he had the capacity to use all eight winds. As for the reason why i don´t think he created Dhar, well you got me there. I just think he is a very cool blorbo and that he works best the way that Boney and thread seems to have built him up as a sort of immensely skilled one off mage. Kinda spoils the effect if he was a dhar infused megalomaniac, even if it would fit the modus operandi of the fortress afterwards, what with it stealing every magical knicknack it can come upon.

EDIT: Per chance, does anyone remember what year was the adventure that incorporated looting it was set in? We could take a gander at it when it decides to land if its in the future. By all accounts its passage becomes a lot easier to track once it sets for its once in a millenium landing so we might hear about it.
I mean, I'd argue that incredible one-off feats in Warhammer are usually (if not always) accompanied by horrific sacrifice. The Vortex trapped its casters forever, the Widowmaker cursed Aenarion's descendants, the Paths of the Old Ones are maintained by ghosts of sacrificed Slann, Settra murdered his chidlren to obtain Nehekhara's bounty. In Warhammer, incredible power comes at a price, and that price is paid in blood at best.

Blood in the Badlands has no defined year beyond vaguely 'present Warhammer time'.

Imrick is not an Elven name afaik and Fozzrick was a human. As was Kadon.

I don't think there's any real evidence for what species Fozrick Fozzrik is. Apart from using multiple Winds of Magic, which strongly suggests he was an elf or very eccentric Slann. I've just looked, and can't see anywhere in any of the books I can find that mention him where it's discussed.

And Imrik, which is of the same form, is an elven name.

Last edited:

There's probably a lot more focused mages that know 1 or 2 Winds well and perhaps another couple spells from another 1 or 2 Winds and use them to fulfil their immediate tasks.

Well probably in quest that's how it is, in 2nd Edition RP, it's very very explicit that mastering a wind to lord magister level of a human means your apprenticeship has finished and then you work on learning more to become a high mage. I know in quest human wizards are privileged compared to Elven mages and can learn things they can't as a consequence of arcane marks but in the general setting for the RP books it's rather treated the other way around with Elves being more versatile and having such great heights that you're literally not even meant to rp as saphery high mage because of their power and scope.

His name was Fozzrik, not Fozzrick.
Yes i frequently misspel it. Its hard to remember if C is supposed to be there and how many z´s.

EDIT:
I don't think there's any real evidence for what species Fozrick is. Apart from using multiple Winds of Magic, which strongly suggests he was an elf or very eccentric Slann. I've just looked, and can't see anywhere in any of the books I can find that mention him where it's discussed.

And Imrik, which is just a different transliteration of the same sound, is an elven name.
While it is certainly possible for Boney to not correct people when they have asked several questions where Fozzrik being a human was part of the assumption behind the question, i elect to not go with that. It´s been an assumption that he was one since pretty much the beginning, and i see zero reason to doubt that.

I mean, we could just ask Boney instead of polemizing, he answered whetever Kadon was human readily enough.

Last edited:
While it is certainly possible for Boney to not correct people when they have asked several questions where Fozzrik being a human was part of the assumption behind the question, i elect to not go with that. It´s been an assumption that he was one since pretty much the beginning, and i see zero reason to doubt that.

As I recall it's been a point of disagreement for ages and I think Boney also hasn't replied to correct comments/questions that assumed he was an elf.

He simply hasn't expressed an opinion one way or the other. He may well not even have decided either way, as it's not something that's been a relevant piece of world building to fill in or 'collapse the waveform' so to speak.

Last edited:
Canon does seem to imply he was human:
Article:
The legend of Fozzrik is swathed in mystery. He lived long before the establishment of the Colleges of Magic, yet the few surviving histroical records agree he was a powerful wielder of the arcane. How he came to be tutored in magic remains unknown.
Source: Blood in the Badlands

If he was an Elf, taught in Athel Loren, Laurelorn or Ulthuan, it would hardly be a mystery after all.

Nah. Seems like something that might become a Spoiler should thread madness triumph and we go haring after Fozzrik's architecture in the badlands.
Might be a fun mini-adventure.
I see no harm in asking. We got confirmation that Kadon of Kadon´s Transformation and Binding Scrolls was a human after all.

I see no harm in asking. We got confirmation that Kadon of Kadon´s Transformation and Binding Scrolls was a human after all.
Storm of Magic has a quote from Teclis stating outright that Kadon was human. Also text in the Monstrous Arcanum indicating the same.

Of however many Kadons there have been (minimum 2, minimum 3 in-quest) all seem to have been human.

Of however many Kadons there have been (minimum 2, minimum 3 in-quest) all seem to have been human.
Yeah, Kadon the necromancer, who found the body of Alcadizzar and ended up possessing the Crown of Sorcery and was a key part of forming Strygos, was a human, I'm pretty sure.

Kadon the Shackler, shaman who came up with Transformation of Kadon and made the Binding Scrolls, was also human. I assume he was part of the same magical tradition of the shamanic brotherhoods that ended up forming the Amber Brotherhood.

I don't know of any other Kadons.

Yeah, Kadon the necromancer, who found the body of Alcadizzar and ended up possessing the Crown of Sorcery and was a key part of forming Strygos, was a human, I'm pretty sure.

Kadon the Shackler, shaman who came up with Transformation of Kadon and made the Binding Scrolls, was also human. I assume he was part of the same magical tradition of the shamanic brotherhoods that ended up forming the Amber Brotherhood.

I don't know of any other Kadons.
The Kadon of the Transformation and the Kadon of the Binding Scrolls may-or-may-not have been the same Kadon.

The main reason for any confusion there is that the Transformation Kadon is said to have gotten himself stuck in a transformation for the rest of his life, while the Binding Scrolls Kadon is said to have been killed by a pack of Chaos Warhounds he was trying to control.

They're probably the same Kadon, but we're already at at least 2 Kadons, so who knows? Maybe Kadon is the John Smith of human wizards?

In-quest, one of the early Supreme Patriarchs was a Kadon. This could be the Transformation Kadon, but definitely isn't the Binding Scrolls Kadon, as one of the only things we know about the latter is that he predated the Colleges of Magic.

I would call Gehenna a sinner for confusing matters by taking a previous wizard's name, but then we wouldn't have the alliteration of Gehenna's Golden Gun, so she is absolved.

Voting is open
Back