Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

In all honesty, magic is pretty cool. Except this magic is powered by math, I don't have my super-calculator, and I've gotten ditched ass-first on some dustball in the middle of nowhere right after finding out I'm actually a clone and not even the original me. At least my new name doesn't have an X in it...
Last edited:
Chapter 1

WildCardFool

A Reaction Pic for nearly every occasion
AN: So. Here we are. I've got a couple of chapters as a backlog, but overall I'm not expecting too steady of an update schedule. I've been working on my writing, and well... Yeah I have no excuses. Despite it saying SI in the title I've taken away/edited parts of my own character that I believe are fundamental to who I am. So while this guy (hopefully) talks, acts, etc like me, there's a fair bit of difference as well.

What else... the beginning couple of chapters might be a bit dark. I'm trying to play around with that kind of tone a bit, seeing as I tend to try and stay lighthearted instead. It's a bit of a shift from my norm, so please bear with me and let me know if it gets too much and all.

Anyways yeah, the KH crossover is more a thing to bring in multicross aspects later on, but I've got it somewhat planned out. Should be fun, once we get there. But for now, let's just get into the meat and bones of this.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
At first there was just Darkness. Darkness, darkness, and yes, darkness. Surrounding, pressing in, consuming my entire world. No, it was my entire world. Occasionally there was more. Not Light, not really, but shapes. Figures, moving about. Different shades of Darkness, swirling around me as I drifted. Floated. Travelled?

It was peaceful. But not satisfying. A dead peace, filled with silence and emptiness. Peace born not out of any real effort on my part, but rather an absence of anything that would disrupt it.

I wasn't cold. Nor was I hot. I couldn't even say that I was warm, or that I… was. In fact my mind didn't process anything, so perhaps I had been cold. Perhaps at some point my body, or whatever I existed as at the time, was hot enough to boil. I couldn't know now. I wouldn't ever know.

It was the barest sliver of me, of my ego that managed to even register that anything was happening. Or rather, that absolutely nothing was happening. More likely than not, it wasn't even that. I probably just wasn't capable of registering anything more than being, and that just barely.

To call what I was at the time an existence would have been generous. Even a shade would have likely felt more real.

And then… impact. I say impact now, but in reality it was more like I faded into being. Sensations registered, my mind began to move again, and the suddenness of it all swept over me. A part of me screamed for the return of the Darkness, stalled and slipped back into it, before the reality of my existence seemed to anchor me.

It was cruel of it, if reality could somehow be cruel. To my mind, it had simply jumped. I… couldn't recall what I had been doing before. Something mundane, ordinary most likely. But from then, it suddenly jumped to this situation. And yet that screaming, that tearing of my body, and more importantly, my inner being… I succumbed, falling into as close a state to that Darkness as I could manage.

Unconsciousness.

Unconsciousness implies the existence of a consciousness, and that wasn't something that I could really claim. It changed the experience a bit.

Where before, the floating sensation was inferred to fill in the lack of sensation, now it felt proper. My body, or the physical portion of my being at least, seemed submerged in some form of liquid.

The sensations varied. Early on, they had completely stalled, but the cessation of existence was short, enough of a lag that I chalked it up to a particularly strong memory of the Darkness.

Existence continued like that for a while. It was enough to know that I existed, but that was all I did. Consciousness never fully returned to me, and what little I could grasp was as mist. Hazy, vague, and heavily distorting whatever I did manage to make out.

Then I woke up.

My eyes snapped open, my mind booted to full functionality, and I gasped, coughing out what felt like some sort of liquid.

Breathing in felt renewing. With every breath, I could feel the oxygen enter my body and circulate, pumping energy into limbs and bringing clarity to my thoughts.

I was cold. Really, really cold. My body was shivering involuntarily, although my breath wasn't misting in the air. Also, I was naked. So that might have been part of it.

"Faust, stand up."

The person speaking stood just in front of me. I don't know how I didn't notice her before. I'll just blame it on the cold and shock from suddenly living again.

To be honest, her appearance was almost as much of a shock as living again. Specifically her outfit. Robes that pooled at her feet, and sleeves with jewels on the backs of her hands… I got a very ye-olde magicke feeling from her. The big staff she was holding helped, although the fact that it was made of metal threw me off a bit.

As one second blended into the next, the scowl on her face deepened. "Well? I told you to get up."

The lady's tone was dark. Cruel. Almost stereotypically so. I found my teeth gritting, and not just from the cold. "My name isn't Faust lady. It's…"

I drew to a stop. I didn't know my name. It's not as if it were suppressed and I couldn't say it, or that it slipped out of my grasp every time I tried to say it. I just… didn't know it. When my mind cast out for memories, they appeared as easily as ever. But any time that anyone ever said my name, it was as if someone had gone over that specific moment with whiteout. A short blip, a bit of time in which the memory cut out, before it picked up right after my name was said.

"Did… did you do this to me?" I stumbled forwards in a half lunge, getting to my feet and grabbing her robes at the shoulders. "Did you take my name?!"

She hummed, meeting my gaze with nothing but contempt. She wasn't even acknowledging me or anything that I had said. No, the lady was searching for something. Whatever she found, the next thing I knew she waved her… whip? Hadn't it just been a sta-

"GAH!" I cried out as I fell to the ground, clutching at a tear in my side. Blood seeped through my fingers, but it wasn't a deep cut. More as if the whip had torn out a small chunk of my side.

The lady stepped forwards, staff once more in her hand. With a wave circles of purple light appeared around me and constricted, binding my body. "You should be thankful. That one blow would have been enough to kill your old body. Well… it looks like the treatments held well enough. In that case we'll continue."

I managed to crane my head down and sure enough, my body was barely recognizable to me anymore. I hadn't been in the worst of shape before, but I certainly wasn't going to be an athlete in any sort of sport. Now I was… well, likely in perfect physical condition, if not for the chunk that had just been taken out of my side.

She held out her staff and let go. Instead of falling, it floated in place.

"Begin recording. Subject Faust, entry number 38. Precia Testarossa, now interrogating the subject," She intoned. The purple gem in the middle of the staff's head flashed once. "Now Faust. Tell me, what is the last thing that you remember?"

The word "interrogation" hadn't exactly inspired hope in me, but for the briefest of moments I was tempted, oh so very tempted, to do something. To shout at her, curse her, even make an attempt to lunge for her despite the bindings on my person.

Precia seemed to notice that and raised an eyebrow. A circle began to form in front of her hand, purple light drawing out symbols and shapes in the middle of the air. A crackling ball of energy gathered in front of it.

I took a deep breath and swallowed all of those impulses. This wasn't giving in, but I would gain nothing by going against her now. At least… that's what I told myself.

"I… was sitting at home eating dinner. Then afterwards I did the dishes… and… went to bed? No, I read a… Did I call someone…?" Instead of the whiteout that had taken my name, it was as if my more recent memories were locked in a haze. Only the past… day or so, but the more recent the memory, the hazier and more uncertain it was.

Precia gave a hum, and I broke out of my haze to realize that she had been studying me, and that I had been narrating out loud. "Subject appears to have trouble with memories within a day of whatever dimensional incident brought him here. Unclear as to if memories were lost. Well then, are the rest of your memories in place?"

My mind went back, skimming over the years. Everything seemed to be in place. Not perfect of course, but my memories were good enough that it didn't seem like they had been tampered with. Not that I would know if they had been in the first place, although I didn't mention that part.

"I see. Subject's memories appear untampered. Recollection works, and cognitive responses positive in relation to past cases. Moving on to the final phase of testing. Faust, do you believe that you are still the same person you were before?"

Past cases? Do I believe I was the same person? Well I wasn't exactly dumb, in fact if anything I would call myself pretty smart. And those were two things that I could put together easily enough.

"... Normally I'd say yes, but going from what you just said, should I assume I'm no longer… me?"

It was hard getting those words out. I was telling myself over and over that I shouldn't rush, that just because it made sense I shouldn't jump to conclusions. My gut was on fire, my teeth grinding and it was only when I looked down that I realized that the hands over my wound had clenched tightly enough to draw blood on their own.

"Hoh. You are correct. You are, in fact, a clone of the previous you. Your body had simply appeared in my laboratory, bleeding out and suffering from an assortment of injuries. Now then, do you think that you are still you?"

I... well, I'd like to say that I did something. Broke out of my binds in a fit of anger, awoke some power deep inside me, something. No, I blanked. Just broke down, I guess. With a shudder I drew in some breath and began to answer. "Well I guess it depends on how you qualify a person. In the literal sense I'm not the same person that I was, but I have my memories still, and-"

"Spare me the philosophy and ethics Faust. I asked you if you think that you are still you," Precia hissed. The glowing orb grew larger, doubling in size and now sparking purple lightning. This was desperation. The crux of the matter. There was a wild look in her eyes, and I knew that more than anything, my answer here could make or break her.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I want to say I am, but… right now I just don't know."

The worst part was, that wasn't even a lie. This was perhaps the most power that I had held over her this entire time, and I had just let it slide. I guess this was as important for me to say aloud as it was for her to hear it.

That didn't stop me from slumping in my binds.

"I see…" Precia waved her hand and the bindings vanished. "End recording." Her staff's jewel glowed once more and then it returned to her hand.

Another wave of her staff caused a circle to light up beneath me. It burst in a blaze of purple energy, and then I fell to my knees, head bursting. Under the pain, a small part of me noted that I was now fully clothed, and I could feel bandages around my side.

"In your creation I included a variation on the Familiar contract to ensure your obedience, in addition to an A-rank linker core, with a selection of magical techniques and knowledge. Thankfully those don't seem to have had any effect on your memories and personality, although we'll have to do more tests after you have properly integrated this knowledge," Precia said. I could barely make out her voice through the pain lancing through my head.

What I did make out was her clicking her tongue. This reignited the fire in my gut, which seemed, for the time being, to be enough to overcome the pain and bring about crystal-clear focus.

"Alicia should be ready for revival within a year. In any case, one can never have too many backup plans... You are to go out and search for anything related to Al-Hazard. Keep a low profile, and do not bring any attention to this place or me. You have the means to contact me should you need to do so. Do not abuse this privilege."

Another circle sprang to life beneath me, and before I could do more than glare at her I vanished in an explosion of light.

I arrived somewhere else in an instant. The change was obvious. The air was warmer, dryer, and smelled different. Crisper, perhaps. And I was now surrounded by sand.

Huh. Precia tested cloning before fate... that makes sense.
I actually never watched Nanoha. Only know it through fans.
Cool start.

Oh, joy, Precia. I do hope you kill her quickly and painfully. If you want, I could mention some settings and ideas to do so. She definitely ranks as one of the villains I hate with the fury of ten thousand suns. She is horrible.

Chapter 2
AN: So here's the next chapter in my backlog. Figured I could use the kick in the pants that an emptier backlog gets to motivate me to get going already with the latest chapter lol. This chapter is a bit longer than the others in my backlog so far, but well... it's the standard breakdown chapter, and more or less a hectic one.

This is really my first time writing any sort of angst/existential dread so that was... interesting? Not something I really think I enjoy too much, but still something that I'll need to do every now and then perhaps? Either way, it's hard to do this lol. Think I did a lot more telling than I did showing, which is a shame.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Now, normally a person being stuck in a desert might freak out. They might plan things out. They might try and think over their situation. I was in no position to do any of those things, or anything else really.

As soon as I had registered that Precia was gone the anger that had burned so brightly in me went out. And considering that that anger had been the only thing holding back the biggest headache I could ever even conceive of…

I spend my time in a haze. Writhing, thrashing, caring not for the hot sand scoring against my skin. Anything that could distract me from the pain, even more pain, was welcome.

The entire time information burst into my head, as if tearing through my unconsciousness where it had lay all this time with searing clarity. Terminology and information began to fill my thoughts, to the point where there just wasn't room for any coherent thoughts of my own to form.

Linker cores, mana, calculations to link magic into coherent spells. A selection of spells for a variety of uses. Attacking spells, barriers, gathering breaker-type spells, flight spells, support spells… The information didn't discriminate at all, even mixing up spells from different schools.

At first the pain was just that of the spells bursting out into my memory, but as time passed I became aware, as much as I was capable at the time, of an even more pressing issue.

The ground was rumbling beneath me.

In my thrashing and pain-induced haze, I had probably been pretty loud. And I was on a planet with, as far as I had been able to tell before pain had disabled me, nothing but sand around me. If the ground was rumbling, that meant two things. One was a natural occurrence of sorts like an earthquake. This is what I hoped was happening.

The other was… some wildlife coming upon me. And again, I had been pretty loud and violent in my actions. It was, more likely than not, carnivorous if it was coming to investigate.

The adrenaline rush from realizing that I might be about to die helped push some of the pain away. Not like the surge of anger had before, but enough that I could once again think.

I froze. Of my own volition. If my being loud and moving around a lot had attracted the creature in the first place, I certainly wasn't going to continue moving around loudly.

My hands began to (quietly) pat my body down. Precia had seen fit to outfit me in a set of plain brown pants and a tunic, with a traveller's cloak wrapped over it all. My new repository of magical knowledge rather helpfully supplied that these were in fact ordinary clothes, and not the magically enchanted Barrier Jackets that generally came with… Devices…

"Oh, son of a bitch did she not even give me a DEVICE?!" For a brief moment the anger came surging back, stronger and harder than before. Magic is cast by doing comple calculations, adapted to the situation. Such things, of course, are easier to do if you have, say, a calculator. Devices are, for all intents and purposes, super advanced magic calculators. I didn't have one.

With the anger that washed over me because of this, came a clarity that simply washed away all the pain that I was still under.

And with that clarity came the realization that right after acknowledging that noise and movement were two likely causes of the unknown creature coming over here, I had promptly shouted out my frustration for the world to hear.

The rumbling increasing in frequency and intensify was the confirmation that I really, really didn't need.

With my train of thought taken away from Precia like so, my anger dropped, and the pain promptly hit me like a sack of bricks. Again. At which point I shouted out and dropped to my knees. Again.

As it was, when the rumbling ceased I barely had the presence of mind to listen to my gut and throw myself into a roll down the sandy dune I was on. Nevertheless, that little action saved my life.

Even as I bounced and flailed down that dune its top burst open revealing a fuckhuge monstrosity surging up into the sky. The best I could describe would be… it was a kind of sand worm. No appendages that I could see, and scales covered it's enormous body. Its open jaws snapped shut on empty air, and as it came down I could see that it didn't have any eyes.

It fell back down, tunneling into the ground and reshaping the sand dunes around it, collapsing some and creating new ones in their place. I was still on my side, although I had stopped rolling in exchange for somewhat painfully sliding down the bottom part of the dune instead. Thankfully I was on top of a newly created dune as opposed to crushed beneath one of the old ones that had collapsed.

With no more slope beneath me I came to a stop, panting heavily. The sun glared down on me and seemed to directly suck out my adrenaline, and with it, my energy. Even as the pain came crashing down with a renewed vengeance, I no longer had the strength to even unconsciously spasm.

It only seemed like I had blinked, but judging from the way the sun had traded its place for a moon and the light had bled from the sky, it was now night. The pain had finally subsided, although my head was still throbbing lightly.

At this point though, it was a coin toss as to whether it was due to the memory download or dehydration setting in. I had just spent pretty much an entire day flailing about violently in the middle of a desert.

Ah.

Dehydration is a pretty serious concern isn't it? I should… probably be trying to fix that. Well, intellectually I knew that dehydration was an important thing that I should be taking care of ASAP. But I just didn't have the willpower and energy to care very much.

It was cold, too. It made sense. Deserts are scorching hot during the day, but the nights can freeze people as well. The cloak provided some warmth, yes, but it was a multipurpose one intended for general travelling. Thus it was light enough to not create unneeded warmth during the day. It certainly wouldn't let me survive the night on my own.

All I really had was my currently failing body, functional clothes, and the magic that Precia had shoved into my head. Of those, the only one that I really had any hopes in was the magic.

Searching through the repertoire of knowledge that I had was strange. First of all I had to shove aside the flash of rage that came up with the fact that Precia had violated my everything and tampered with my mind to artificially change what I knew. Then I had to actually access the knowledge…

It was as simple as already knowing it, despite never having learnt it. When I thought, ah I want to be anywhere but here, I thought of course of walking away. Or flying. Or teleporting. And all of those methods conjured up a mental image of me doing just that. I actually had to catch myself when I realized that flying and teleporting were well within my reach at the moment.

Well, I didn't trust myself to do anything for any amount of sustainable time, let alone complex equations that needed to be adapted on the fly, so flying was out. But teleporting… no. Teleporting on a given world required a mental image and had a capped range. Ignoring the range, I had just gotten to this world. All I could teleport to would be another part of the desert around me.

Teleporting to another world? Dimensional Transfer? Well that spell required precise coordinates, of which I had none. That was just impossible.

No, travel was just out, it seemed. Because of course it was. So my next priorities were to take care of dehydration, and to get a shelter and probably some warmth.

I focused on dehydration first. I'd like to say that it was because I was smart enough to compartmentalize. To focus on one task at a time. To be honest, I just didn't have the mental capacity to do anything else at the time. I was barely keeping a single train of thought going.

Could magic help me get some water? The information helpfully came to mind that, at least in my case, no, magic probably wouldn't help.

Magic is the use of mana to manipulate elements around oneself. I didn't think there'd be much water around me, and water isn't a type of energy so I couldn't convert my mana into it. Thermal energy would technically let me freeze any nearby water vapor, but again, we were in a desert and I didn't quite think that there'd be much water vapor to freeze.

My thoughts began to circle about, my singular train of thought having effectively lost one set of wheels and the half of the tracks that went with them. It was partially from the dehydration and exhaustion, but I would be lying if I said that part of me hadn't panicked and fallen into despair.

This was how I was going to die. Possibly for the second time, depending on how I felt about Precia's revelation at having apparently cloned me. I still knew that there were a number of other possible explanations for that, but I hadn't had time to sort through them yet, and now… I probably never would.

A pang of pain in my stomach broke me away from that spiralling circle of thoughts. I took a deep breath, closing my eyes to try and enjoy it, using it to slow down the heartbeat that I had just noticed was hammering away in my chest.

Right. Panicking wouldn't help. Adrenaline wouldn't help. What I needed was water, and a way to get it.

I couldn't move very far, and would like to avoid any movement at all if possible. I needed water. Therefore, I had to either bring the water to me, or find some water very close by. Bringing the water to me had already been discarded as a viable plan. Finding water nearby would likely require some movement, and that might bring back the sand worm.

Just the thought of it brought my heartbeat up again before I paused.

Wait.

The sand worm was, presumably, close enough to sense my movement and maybe hear the noise that I had made. But I was tiny compared to it. Unless it was really close by, it more likely than not wouldn't really be able to pick me up, even if I was the only other living thing around. That meant that more likely than not it spent its time around here.

And for any living being to spend its time in an area, it would have to have all of its commodities nearby. Food, shelter, ...water.

If the water was around, I couldn't see it. So it was probably somewhere I couldn't see. Like under the sand.

But how could I pinpoint exactly where it would be? I didn't have any spells that detected water. In fact, the only water-related spells that I had were freezing spells.

"Ah," I rasped through my dry mouth.

That was it. I could do a low-power but wide-area freezing spell. Any underground water reservoirs would likely have a higher amount of water vapor above it than its surroundings. If I could just find the areas with the most frost… Well, it'd be hard. Extremely hard, trying to detect which parts of the frost were more concentrated than the rest.

But there wasn't much more water vapor to obfuscate the reservoir's theoretical location, and I had no other options.

I brought the relevant calculations to mind and began to plug in the appropriate variables. As I worked purple characters began to wink into existence, then lines and curves drawing in shapes as the corresponding magical circle began to form from my completed equations.

To be honest, calling it a spell would be… generous. As a mage performs the various calculations, each one is supposed to represent a specification of the spell. The range, spread, type of energy that the mana becomes, homing capability, etc. All of these are carefully set and adapted by the mage as the spell is cast.

I did away with pretty much all of those. All this spell specified was to gather the mana that I funneled into it, and then use it to push away thermal energy as it passed, which would generate the desired frosting effect. Basically the first parts of any ice-spell without any of the follow-up.

My magical energy gathered, purple motes of light clumping into a ball. I activated the spell with the designated trigger, a wave of my arms, and it dropped to the ground. The ball rippled as it landed, dissipating into a circle of purple energy that expanded, leaving behind flecks of frost in its wake.

My second follow-up spell was a way to detect the thermal readings of my surroundings. A heat sensor spell, easy enough to bring up and cast. The readings that were returned were about what I expected. An even spread of cold temperatures.

Not good enough.

I called the spell up again and messed with it, increasing its sensitivity but cutting its range a bit. The range was still within the bounds of what I deemed sufficient, but if the water was outside of that… I blinked, banishing that train of thought with a mental push.

This time the readings had some variation. Yes, a group of slightly colder than average readings formed a snaking line, almost like a stream.

The finale, and the last bit of magic that I would have in me for the day. A basic bombardment spell. Not anything fancy, no homing capabilities or multiple angles of fire. Just a simple collection of mana, and then calculations for focusing and aiming it in my desired direction.

The beam barreled forwards towards my intended target, the bottom of the dune next to me. As I expected, the explosion blasted the sand away and I hoped, for just a bit, that this plan would work.

It was only as my dune began to shift downwards in response to the displaced sand that I realized that I may have made some miscalculations.

Still, if before I had been drained, now I literally could not do anything besides ride it out. My eyelids had drooped closed, and it was only as I felt the familiar sensation of liquid around my body that I was brought back from the brink of unconsciousness.

Between my parted lips I managed to swallow some of the water, and then I rolled over onto my back before sleep completely took over my mind.

Day one in the desert: survived (?)
The next time I awoke, I couldn't hold in a sigh of relief. The temperature was cool, not hot and not cold. Something had changed, but for the moment I didn't care what. I tried to lift my arms and stretch, only to be stopped by some resistance that kept my arms stuck to my sides.

This was a familiar feeling. Bindings.

My eyes shot open. Glaring light met my eyes and I winced, screwing them shut again.

"He's awake," a man said.

Shifting could be heard, and I decided to risk opening my eyes again. Slowly, this time. When my vision sharpened I looked around. It seemed that I was on my back on some form of table. There were two people on each side of me, a man and woman in some form of uniform. A light green jacket over darker green pants.

Both of them held thin metal rods at the ready, a jewel glowing on the top end and narrowed tips, reminiscent of prongs. Not rods, then. Staffs, most likely.

"So," the woman began. "I understand that you probably had a rough time, but I'm going to need to ask you some questions. Don't worry, we're both from the Frontier Nature Conservation Corps, we're here to help you out."

I looked down my body, wiggling my toes and fingers. The woman coughed into her fist. "Yes, well… there are protocols, you see. And you were the source of that burst of magic last night, right?"

To be honest, I couldn't blame them. Just from what they said, I could put together some information. Mainly, that Precia hadn't dumped me on some uninhabited desert deathworld. She'd dumped me on a known, mostly still wild, desert deathworld.

An explosive sigh ripped its way out of my lips. "Yeah, I can't say that I don't understand. My name is Faust, and I'm very confused myself. As best as I can tell…"

Caution stopped me from continuing. This was a bit of a dilemma. I hadn't exactly had time to think about it too much, but lots of the terminology that I had had implanted in my head was actually familiar, if not that detailed. And the name of the person who cloned me, Precia, and Alicia, who she spoke of… It was very familiar. On the tip of my tongue, but not something that I had the time or inclination to pursue right now.

No, I was more worried about how much information was wise to give up. "Frontier Nature Conservation" sounded like an NGO, but the word "Corps" at the end implied more structure and authority. Moreso, I didn't think it'd be smart to get tied up with the authorities. Precia very much held my life in her hands, as her note about our pseudo-Familiar contract let me know, and I didn't think that any governments would be particularly happy to hear about cloning projects like me.

I didn't think that an in-depth examination would reveal my nature as a clone, but it was better not to risk it. I already knew that Precia had at least tampered with my memories and my basic body structure… who knows what else she did.

So in the end, I supposed that my best bet was simply to withhold as much information about those topics as I could.

"Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. Working through what happened right now," I laughed. Some of my tension slipped its way into my voice though, and it came off as more harried than I would have liked.

The man waved his hands. "No, no, we understand. Take as much time as you need." Both of them gave me looks that made me instantly feel bad about trying to come up with a lie good enough to fool them.

Well. In that light, it'd probably be best if I stuck to only lies by omission. There is something to be said about keeping things simple, and I'd hopefully feel less shitty if I didn't technically lie to them.

"I don't really know how I got here. Maybe some kind of dimensional incident? In any case, my name is Faust. I'm a… wanderer by trade, I suppose. The magic last night was my last ditch effort to find water," I said.

I wasn't really lying, right? I truly had no idea how I got to this… universe.

Both of the other people in the room shared looks. The man nodded. "I see. We'll call in the TSAB for investigation. You may have to stay and answer some questions, but don't worry, you're not under arrest. Your story matches what we could tell from a preliminary search. We found you floating on your back in an uncovered riverbed."

He waved his staff, dismissing the bindings, before walking off to the back of the room.I heard him knock on the wall until the sound of glass sliding on glass interrupted it. He kept his voice low, but I could hear him murmuring with someone on the other side of the wall. Wall was likely the wrong term for it though, at this point it was more likely that I was in a vehicle of some sorts. Like an ambulance, perhaps.

I sat up and looked around. Smooth metal surrounded us. I couldn't see any equipment, and there were benches lining the sides. A transport ship then. The woman and I looked at each other in a bit of an awkward silence before the man returned, conversation over.

"Do you have any family members or friends that you would like us to contact for you?" The woman continued.

I shook my head, keeping my gaze from focusing on how their expressions fell. It spoke to their characters that they were being this open and empathetic to me, but it really wasn't helping the guilt that I felt.

"Like I said, I'm a wanderer. I don't think I'm all that close to any of the places I've been to before. They weren't within range of Dimensional Transfer, at least."

"I'd be surprised if they were," the man nodded. "This is uninhabited world number twelve. We're about as far away from civilization as you can get."

He looked like he was about to say more, but the transport jolted slightly, slowing to a stop. "Ah, we're at our destination. Follow me, we'll get you settled in a room. After the TSAB gets here and does their thing we can give you the dimensional coordinates for Aenia, TSAB-administrated world number seventy-three. It's still a bit out there, but you should be able to find dimensional coordinates for more urban worlds there, and it's at least inhabited."

From then on, I was shuffled left and right. I had to fill out some paperwork in which the pitying looks that I got increased with every field left blank. They shipped me over to an infirmary where a kind man in a lab coat gave me an examination, which revealed the bandages over my side. You guessed it, more sympathizing looks.

When they took me to their cafeteria, lots of the staff nearby were watching me as I ate, as if I wouldn't finish my plate unless they stared me into doing it.

It was nice, I could not and would not deny it. But it was irritating too. They had such good intentions towards me, but they were misdirected. Pointed towards someone that had never really been in whatever sad situation that they concocted in their heads.

I was a fairly well-adjusted young man, who had gone to a good school, had good friends, and so-on, so forth.

Then it hit me that I wasn't entirely sure if I should be thinking of them in the past tense. When had that happened? It was… factually true, yes. But I would of course be back one day. I…

With a cough I excused myself from the table with some polite words. My appetite was gone, and I had some thinking that I needed to do.
Days later, I dropped out of the Dimensional Transfer onto a landing pad with a soft thud. The coordinates were precise, and this was an area specifically for TSAB-approved mages to use as a teleportation destination for this world. Even so, a small cloud of dust was kicked up as I landed.

"Eugh," I shielded my face from the dust with my cloak. The air seemed to be just as dry as the desert had been, and only barely cooler. Wonderful.

Still, I had to count my blessings. The TSAB was still mainly a policing force rather than a central government. They had cared enough to get me the paperwork to officially clear me of all wrongdoing and provide coordinates for a Dimensional Transfer, but not enough to do a particularly deep background check.

In fact, they didn't do a background check at all. That was probably on account of the breakdown that I went through after realizing that I had lost all of my friends and family. It had started right after I had left dinner, and had lasted the entire following night, filled with constant pacing around the Conservation Corps' camp, some minor displays of emotionally-fueled, rampant magic, and more than a little bit of incoherent shouting and bawling. From what they told me, I had kept going until I had simply collapsed on the ground, and they had needed to bring me to the infirmary again instead of to my room.

The following morning, when a man in a blue and white TSAB uniform had showed up, I realized that I had seen that same uniform before. Everything clicked. I knew where I was. And where I had heard of Precia before. And linker cores, and devices, and well… you get the idea.

I was proud to say that I hadn't suffered another breakdown. Instead, I had assumed that I was going crazy and proceeded to punch myself in the face, after which I was then lugged off to the infirmary where they kept an eye on me until I had calmed down.

See? No rampant magic, shouting or violence from me. And, well, if anyone said otherwise than it'd just have to be their word against mine, now won't it?

Still, the process had gone remarkably well, especially once they had indeed established that I was merely undergoing an immense amount of stress, and some small amount of potential psychological trauma, as opposed to actually being balls off the wall crazy.

The memory was a sore one, so I shook it off. There was time for introspection later. For now, I had a plan. Or at least the beginnings of one.

Precia was crazy. The death of her daughter, Alicia, had driven her insane, and as bad as she had been when I last saw her, she still had hopes that she could use the same cloning process I had undergone to resurrect Alicia.

The fact that I could be considered a success was strange, considering that Alicia's clone was, well… not Alicia. She would become an entirely different person in her own right, but for the time being what was clear was that this would drive Precia over the edge.

Precia had dismissed me. Sure, she had sent me out as a "backup," but I was under no illusions that she actually thought she'd need me. I had seen her. She was desperate, and I was, for better or worse, an apparent success.

What she would do once driven over the edge I don't know, but as bad as it might have been before, it was going to be far, far worse now. Because I was an apparent success. And because I was another resource for her to use, one magically bound to obey her every word.

She had told me to search for any sign of Al-Hazard, this universe's magical version of Atlantis. If Atlantis had been a super advanced predecessor world filled with supposedly omnipotent magic and technology. Thankfully, I didn't know jack about Al-Hazard, or any of its items.

Hell, I didn't even if Al-Hazard was more than a very well-known myth. The only way to Atlantis that I know of at the moment was Precia's original plan. The Jewel Seeds. Potentially wish-granting items, they held an unfathomable amount of magical power within. Precia was planning to tap into that magical power to open a pathway to Al-Hazard… somehow.

She either didn't see fit to include the particulars in the magical knowledge that she had shoved into my head, or she hadn't thought of it yet.

In any case, I was compelled to follow her orders. Just the thought of trying to sabotage myself had me running into a mental wall, where my mind blanked and thought stopped. A void of being, which I found myself invariably turning from.

It was cruel. Even the thought of trying to simply live out this year, a neutral middle ground between opposing Precia and submitting to her, had that wall engulf my consciousness. Nothingness.

I must have looked like an idiot, taking a single step forwards before freezing up for who knows how long each time.

I kept trying anyways. Each attempt had me drawing in, sinking further into that cold pit that was spreading in my gut, yet simultaneously feeding a steadily growing spark of defiance and anger in me.

It was a loop that somehow fed into itself, anger becoming despair, which turned into more anger. I couldn't even show it on the outside, my body becoming almost locked into this loop by the continuous bouts of emptiness that the wall enforced.

This inner conflict was an unstoppable force against an unmoving object, drawing forth from me a greater body of mental strength than I had ever imagined that I was capable of.

Of course, as the paradox went, something had to give eventually.

I did.

With a shudder I sank to my knees, fists clenched at my sides.

It was only the slightest of gives. A resignation to at least keep an ear out, even as I planned to confine myself onto this dusty hell for the next year.

But the wall vanished, and deep down I knew that I had lost. My anger returned, impossibly hotter than before, and this time with no target but myself.

I hated myself in that moment. I hated Precia, I hated the situation she had put me in, and I hated how I had given up on resisting, even just that little bit.

In that moment I resolved to get off this planet as soon as possible. To get somewhere else, anywhere else, because to stay on this planet would be to remind myself that I had submitted to Precia Testarossa.

Yes, it was stupid. Yes, it would help her far, far more than any satisfaction that I would gain in turn. But fuck it, every second that I spent on this planet had me itching,

At that moment, I broke a little bit.

Last edited:
Precia: "You were supposed to be chasing new leads! Are you telling me you've been on Midchilda for the past five years?"

MC: "Running around on unadministrated worlds without experience seemed kind of impractical. You said to keep a low profile and search for anything related to Al-Hazard, and I'm a perfectly normal student pursuing a doctorate in Archaeogeography and Precursor Civilizations here at Midchilda-North University. I'm even set to go on an expedition to UA-288 with the Scrya clan this summer!"

Edit:

I've always felt that Precia's extreme personality change might have been from a minor case of serious brain damage, given that she was at ground zero of an extremely lethal magical accident. Given that she's lethargic and coughing up blood, her internal organs may be slightly cooked. Her fashion sense went from working mom to 'Queen of the Negaverse', and no sane person would unironically wear that barrier jacket. She also collaborated with Jail Scaglietti on project Fate, and he's not the type to point out that someone is going off the deep end if it amuses him.

If she went to the logical conclusion that she needed to clone herself so that Alicia has a mother that isn't dying, it would be amusing for Precia 2.0 to wake up and wonder what the hell she was thinking for the past decade and change.

Last edited:
Is there such a Mental Magic in Nanoha?
Not exactly spoilers for me to say this, I think.

The way I'm handling things, Nanoha Magic is for the most part concerned with the physical. However, there are weird bits that sort of stretch the boundary, like Telepathy, which is technically brain waves telephone (but let's be real, Telepathy is absolutely mental-based).

What's going on in Faust's case is thanks to the Familiar-aspect of resurrection that Precia has mixed in. Familiars are basically what happens when a mage wants to keep an animal alive and generates a kind of clone-framework of the animal's mind (if the original mind was a sculpture, the framework is a picture) and generates a body using a constant stream of mana. To keep these familiars around, a contract is added, which is exactly what it sounds like.

For all intents and purposes, this isn't mind control but simply a magical contract that more or less states that Faust cannot willingly go against Precia. It runs in the same vein as telepathy, meaning that it's supposed to be keyed in to a specific "brain wave" so to speak, and when it detects it runs a sort of physical shut down. A bit of an extreme example, but it's like how nuclear reactors are designed to immediately shut down if the slightest thing goes wrong and gets detected.

It can be considered an extremely complicated and advanced evolution of Manipulation spells like Nephilim Fist, a (yes it's canon) spell which allows one to pre-program their body to respond according to different situations (react to a given attack a certain way, etc).

To make a long bit of technobabble short: "Yes, but actually no". I knew of Nephilim Fist's existence, and of Familiar Contracts, and decided to take those to their logical conclusions just short of actual mental manipulation.

Chapter 3
AN: You know, pacing is hard. At least that's what I've found in trying to plan this out. Also keeping a consistent writing length is hard, and not quite something I've been too good about so far. Ah well, just more things to polish and work on, yeah?
Dimensional Travel was, put frankly, both much easier, and much harder than you'd expect.

For the most part the technology was fairly spread out, in fact being a requirement for a planet to be welcomed into the TSAB. But I had no money, at the moment at least, and passenger ships coming and going from Aenia were few and far between.

There was one spell that allowed one to travel between worlds almost instantaneously though. Dimensional Transfer. It was a fairly difficult spell, A-ranked thanks to its inherent nature, but it had a limited range. The real clincher was that one needed coordinates to travel to. I only had the coordinates for Aenia itself, and even those I was planning on forgetting as soon as possible.

These were the only two ways to travel between worlds, at least that I knew of.

I whistled as I spun the rag around the glass.

Dimensional transfer coordinates had proven to be, more or less, impossible to get. Any mage that could use that spell was in-demand enough to be literally anywhere more civilized than this dustball.

Trying to find a ship out of here had proven to be a little more fruitful, if not similarly frustrating. This city's port was empty at the moment, with the only ships being cargo transports for the rare shipment of supplies and luxury goods, or what passed for those on this planet. Manual labor was thankfully almost always in demand, especially on cargo ships desperate enough to take routes out here. A mage even moreso, and a halfway competent one like myself moreso again.

Sure I had cheated, but I think the whole violation of my literal existence on Precia's part more than made up for that.

"I think I'm done," I passed the glass over to the waiting man.

He looked it over with a critical expression, albeit an obviously feigned one. I had knocked on every shop door in town asking for a job, and Hank had taken pity on me, inviting me into his tavern and asking how I felt I was at washing dishes.

"I dunno… Lessee 'ere, what color are yer eyes?" Hank chortled as he handed the glass back over to me.

A chuckle escaped my lips as I looked into it. "Well, they're bl… yellow?"

He nodded and put the glass on the counter. "Alright lad, yer hired. I got a small room I think you can use while yer here, we're never full enough to need it."

Hank walked off, and then stopped when it became clear that I wasn't following.

"Lad?" He turned around. "You all good there sonny? You'd think you've never seen yer own eyes before!" Hank laughed at his own joke.

"Ah yeah, sorry about that," I forced out a laugh of my own. "Thank you so much Hank."

I followed him up and nodded along to his words. Don't be bringing any strangers up here, be down for the meal time rushes, so on and so forth.

Yellow. Pale yellow, even.

My eyes were black. Well, dark brown, but dark enough that the difference was more semantical than not. Still, the fact remains that this was a pretty drastic change.

...Precia. How do you screw up somebody's eye color? Isn't that a basic thing to think about when cloning somebody? You got that wrong but were still worried about my personality being the same?

It was yet another part of me that had changed forever. At this point, I think the only part of my appearance that was the exact same as my old body was my hair. It was still a sheer black, as it had been my entire life, regardless of how much sun I had gotten.
Three weeks later and no ships had come in yet. The timing was irregular, with most merchants in town combining their orders into one giant city-wide request. It could be months between them, although Hank had reassured me that they were never longer than, say, six months apart.

Strangely enough that hadn't helped very much. I tried my best not to show it on my face though.

But it wasn't like this was bad, per se. I had settled into a routine. Something to fall back onto, some structure in my life.

Wake up at six a.m. to help out with the breakfast crowd. Clean the dishes, and go outside of town to practice my magic for a couple of hours until lunchtime. Come back in and help out with that, and then after we finished breaking down I'd help Hank with cooking for the dinnertime crowd.

That was around the time I started handling the bar as well, mixing together the various exotic drinks that you got this far away from the rest of civilization. Apparently the drinking age was different on every planet, and Aenia was rural enough that it didn't really have one. Well, if it did, nobody knew what it was, and Hank never tried to enforce it.

It wasn't particularly hard work. Hank's place was pretty popular, with a steady stream of regulars. But it was still a tavern, and if Aenia lacked anything, it was tourists. There were some, of course. The occasional eccentric who was out here for one reason or another. Perhaps business, lawful or otherwise. Hank never said a peep, and nobody else gave them much more than a second glance, so I kept my head down and mixed drinks.

Hank took the opportunity to bring out a rickety old tack piano from storage. A holdover from his grandfather, he claimed. He only knew some ragtime riffs, but according to him that was all he needed. It was something about tradition and atmosphere.

With him spending more time on the piano, it was up to me to socialize and talk with the customers. As rough of a crew as they were, Hank's regulars weren't all bad. I wouldn't call them good per se, but they got used to me quickly enough and it was… nice, being a part of something.

Part of that was probably my role as de facto bartender. I guess if people spilled their innermost secrets to you while sloshed often enough, they either got pretty close to you or stopped letting you see their face.

That's not to say that there weren't bad nuts though. It wasn't that binary, more of a scale so to say, and for the most part they were people that were hard on their luck and had gotten a bit too much to drink. Still, the regulars tended to be on the better end of the scale, while newcomers were more often than not on the other end.

I had needed to use my magic and kick some people out more than once. Hank increased my pay after that, and now I was also a bit of a bouncer.

"Hey there missy. You looking' for a little… fun?" One of the ruffians that only came to get drunk leered. His target was a tall figure with a travellers cloak on. It covered most of what she was wearing, but her body silhouette was undoubtedly feminine.

Still, this man was looking more than a bit tipsy. His face was red, his hair and clothes were disheveled, and I had been the one making all of his drinks. Even while he remained sitting on his bar stool, I could see him shaking. And the stench of alcohol wasn't exactly uncommon here, but by now it almost wafted around him like a cloud. It was time to cut him off.

As I glanced around the room, I noticed another man sitting next to him and also eyeing her up. They had walked in together, so it was a safe enough bet that he'd get involved as well.

"Sir, I think that you've had more than enough," I said. "I can call for a taxi if you would like, but I'm afraid that I'll need to ask you to stop harassing the other customers."

He turned to glare at me. "I- I pay you fer the… the drinksh… You jush give em to me. Beshides, she- she wants to come with me." He moved an arm back, presumably to clamp down on her shoulder. With the amount of alcohol in him it wasn't a surprise when he missed and decided to try and "save" it by just wrapping his arm around her.

I was quicker on the draw though, and with a snap the spell that I had been preparing blazed to life. A ring of purple light formed around the man and constricted, binding him.

I turned to the lady to apologize when the other man made a move. I had been prepared for hostility, but I hadn't expected him to immediately shove his friend off of his stool and take his seat, slinging an arm around the woman. Although he stank of alcohol, he seemed to be in better shape, at least being together enough to do that without too much shaking.

Until this point the lady hadn't even acknowledged either of them. There was a flash, a brief spike of magic that suffused the room, and the next thing I knew the man wasn't in his seat anymore. Instead, the woman had suddenly straightened up, and there was a loud crash.

On the other side of the room Hank cried out as his piano was destroyed, the man now embedded halfway into it. Thankfully, there hadn't been any other tables and customers in the way, so that seemed to be the only damage so far.

"I'm sorry for the trouble," the lady spoke. The movement had shifted her cloak a bit, letting me see her purple hair, as well as two distinct lines coming out from her neck onto her cheeks. What parts of her face that I could see hinted at her being pretty young actually, not a full-grown adult like I had thought.

"Here, for the damages." She tossed me a handful of coins. I counted them out, and weighed their value against what a drink generally cost. It… seemed about right, although I wasn't exactly sure what a piano was worth around here. Or how much insurance covered.

… Did Hank have insurance?

I looked back up to find the girl was at the door, with both men being dragged by their collars. "I'll take them to the sheriff's as well. Thank you for the drinks," she said. Then she was off, the doors swinging shut behind her.
"Hey, Faust! The girl's here again," Hank coughed and walked into the kitchen. Nobody had ordered any food though. He was running. Running from the purple-haired girl.

Ever since that incident she became a regular. Every day after dinner she'd come in and just nurse a drink or two. Most of the regulars came in to watch the TV, talk with each other, and play some games. Well, one out of three isn't that bad.

She would still more often than not wear the cloak, although she was now comfortable enough with us to keep the hood down. Most people knew not to mess with her. If anyone seemed dumb enough to try, well I was the bouncer. It hadn't been much of an issue yet though.

Hank was still terrified of her. He didn't hold the untimely demise of his piano against her, not after I showed him the coins that she had given us to pay for a new one. But that level of strength, and her "intensity" scared him. His words, not mine.

I didn't disagree though. I didn't think any of the people that had been in the room at the time would.

But more importantly, I finally realized why she was so familiar to me. Jail Scaglietti. Or more accurately, one of his Numbers, Tre.

To be perfectly honest, my memory was never the greatest, and Jail certainly wasn't a big part of those memories. But I remembered that he was going to be a pretty big problem later on. He had been given an obsession with discovering the secrets of Al-Hazard and Ancient Belka, although he had chosen to pursue Ancient Belka. In doing so, he had birthed Project Fate. The very same procedure that Precia had used on me. The old me.

He would go on to use parts of this project to create his own team of combat cyborgs. Like Tre. The strongest of them all, given a mage rank of S+.

Putting all of this together made me wary towards her, but I tried not to let it show. More importantly, it was an opportunity. Scaglietti was not a good man. Perhaps his actions were due to the obsession that he had been implanted with, but nevertheless that was a part of him now, and I couldn't find it in myself to forgive him for his involvement with Project Fate.

Perhaps the old me would have argued in favor of leniency. Scaglietti's obsession may have counted as insanity, as far as that would take him, and we were early enough that I didn't think he had made even half of his combat cyborgs yet.

But for the life of me, I couldn't forgive him. In fact, I hated this man that I had never met with a burning passion.

I was going to hunt him down.

It wouldn't be easy, of course. But Tre was a regular. As his strongest asset, now and in the future, Scaglietti wouldn't let her go far from him or on extended missions. More likely than not, his current base was on Aenia. Of the Numbers before her, Uno was meant for secretary work, and Due was more likely than not gone on a deep infiltration mission.

Maybe he did have more Numbers. I was confident in my ability to at least run though. Most of the Numbers were made with specialties, created with the intentions of forming a sort of wetworks team. It wasn't until the later Numbers that Scaglietti returned to giving them more combat capabilities. All I had to worry about was Tre.

Well… I say "all," but she is an S+ mage… at least about 10ish years in the future. I was willing to bet on her not quite being at that level yet though.

And most importantly of all - Scaglietti would plausibly have some research on Al-Hazard. But nothing too dangerous that I remembered from what he would do in the future. In other words, he was the perfect way to try and skate around my orders.

So I had a good set of excuses as to why this wasn't an extremely terrible idea, motivation in case Precia actually started paying attention to me, and a way to take out some of my hatred towards Precia and my situation in general. Was I probably not giving this the amount of careful thought and consideration it called for? Yeah, that was a fair assumption. Did I give a rat's ass? Hell no. My frustration had been building up for quite a while. I needed an outlet. A purpose.

"Hello Tre," I greeted her with a smile. "What'll it be today?"

"My usual," she said as she grabbed a seat in the corner.

I nodded and began grabbing the required bottles from the shelves.

"So," I started. "It's been a while, and you're starting to become a regular. You move into town recently, or is this some sort of… I don't know, business trip? Vacation? You aren't a tourist, are you?" Yeah she was younger than the average adult, but out in Aenia, age really stopped mattering so much after you hit around 15, for better or for worse. Tre seemed around there, not anywhere close to as mature looking as she was in my admittedly fuzzy memories.

She shook her head. "I'm the bodyguard of a research team. We've located a site of potential interest some ways outside of town."

"Ah," I began to mix the drinks together. "So long-term, but not a permanent visit."

"No," she said.

I hummed and began to stir. The tavern had its usual level of business. Some people were playing pool off in the side, the bar was about half-filled, and there was the low buzz of conversation filling the room.

With a flourish I finished the drink and slid it in front of her. "Alright, here you go. Enjoy!"

Tre nodded and began to sip at her drink. When she noticed me still looking at her she gave a thumbs-up. I nodded and turned away to help some other customers.

I would have time to go out and look for Scaglietti in the future. For now, I had a job to do.

Chapter 4
AN: This is the longest chapter that I've written so far. I tried doing a bit more stuff with emotion but to be honest, bonding/impact and all is just hard lol. Same with pacing, I'm kinda not too happy with the ending here but it needed to happen. Should it have happened now? Should I have shown more in between? I don't know. I don't think anything in between was what I'd consider essential, and showing it wouldn't have advanced the already pretty slow plot, but... hmmm... Yeah, idk. As always, feedback and such is always welcomed.
Well I may have talked all of that good shit before, but actually going out and scouring the area for Scaglietti was easier said than done.

Much, much easier said than done.

He was insane, yes, but he was an insane super genius with nearly unlimited funds, shady government backing, etc. I was a stranded half-trained mage that only had a couple of hours in between the breakfast and lunch shifts to go outside and do anything.

I could have asked for more free time, I suppose, but Hank was employing me and I was actually getting money out of it. It didn't feel right to just stiff him like that, and I did think that asking for more free time would have counted… It's not as if we were ever all that busy, Aenia being Aenia, but relatively we were pretty darn popular. Speaking from experience, it was draining doing all of that work.

To make matters worse, although there were other settlements on Aenia, they were pretty far from each other. Not an insurmountable distance, of course, but even if I flew it would take about my entire allotted free time to make a round trip without actually doing anything in the nearest town. So it wasn't something that I could really consider at this point in time, not unless I wanted to start sneaking out at night.

That was a possibility, but we closed late and opened early as it was, so… it was something that I didn't want to do unless absolutely necessary.

Theoretically, Tre had mentioned that her camp was nearby town, but I didn't want to trust that. It would've been pretty easy to lie, just like everything else she had said about herself. Practically speaking I had no choice in the matter, because if the base was outside of my search radius then I had almost no chance of actually finding it within my allotted year, let alone if a ship came and I still wanted to take that chance to get off of this planet.

To complicate matters further, it seemed like I'd have to search manually. Most magic used nowadays, for better or worse, was better suited for combat than anything else. Certainly there were ways to use those spells in utility situations, but for the most part that would require making your own spell.

Precia had been so kind as to give me knowledge of the Area Search spell, and I could widen that into a Wide Area Search spell easily enough. But this was a fairly complicated spell on its own, requiring me to discharge orbs of mana which acted as sensors. Without a device to facilitate the searching, or any other useful parameters to narrow down the search results, it was functionally impossible to use them in a more efficient manner than simply searching by eye.

In addition, they didn't come with a stealth capability. I wasn't about to think that Scaglietti would be alright with his base being detected by any random search spell, and attempting to modify the Wide Area Search into being invisible to the kinds of defenses that Scaglietti would plausibly put up… Well I wasn't about to try that without a device.

So it was that I began to spend my training hours flying around town, looking for anything of note. For the most part there wasn't anything beyond sand, so I could just focus more on practicing the basics. Forming spells quickly, modifying them on the fly, etc. All things that would have been nearly trivial with even a basic device, yet I had to make do with my own mind.

As it stood now, just me being a mage had been enough to handle my bouncer duties. But I was under no delusions that I could take care of any of Scaglietti's combat cyborgs, at least none of the ones that had combat capabilities. Even though I had a natural A-ranked linker core, without a device my spell casting speed and efficiency were all much lower than they could be. I also didn't really have any combat experience. That couldn't really be remedied for now, but everything else could be.

The drills were simple enough. Pick a target, form a spell, and cast it as fast as I could. Rinse and repeat. The bulk of the focus was on the calculations. The key to a fast casting speed was how fast the calculations were completed. The key to good mana efficiency was how precise your calculations were. Generally speaking, both concepts were important, so it wouldn't do to neglect either of them.

However, it was even more crucial for me now, because I was practicing while flying. There were supplementary spells for flight, and a wide variety at that. All of them had slight variations, but despite them all being different spells, they were similar enough that I didn't bother naming my variation.

Typically flight spells worked by specifying parts of your body to use as anchors, which you could control to shift your flight path as if you were steering. Occasionally, more mana-intensive versions would instead manifest constructs like wings to act as anchors in and of themselves. These anchors had the benefit of being easier to manipulate than simply part of your body, allowing for greater precision and autonomy.

Again, I didn't have the benefit of all the computing power that a device would give, so my version was simple. I placed four anchors, one per shoulder and one per side of my hip. This freed up my arms and legs to move as I wished during flight, but still allowed me to have an intuitive sense of how to control myself.

But for each anchor, while still part of one spell overall, made for an additional set of calculations. Flying on its own was taxing enough, magically and mentally. More spells? On top of keeping an eye out for anything that could hint at a secret base?

Quite frankly, I was surprised that I could last until lunch the first day, and in the following days learned to hate myself. Of course, this was yet more negative emotions that I could just pile on to Precia and Scaglietti.

Hank picked up on the new norm pretty quickly, and my portion of lunch was soon upsized permanently, without a word about it passing between us. I loved that man, I really did.
"Faust, come over here for a sec!" Hank calls out from the kitchen.

I spared a moment to put down a plate of eggs and bacon in front of a customer and headed over. The stove was on, and Hank was frying some eggs in a skillet. With one hand he beckoned for me.

There was an idle moment of silence as he slid the sizzling eggs onto a waiting plate.

"You've been here for a little over a month," he said. "And I know that when I first took ye in, you were lookin' for a way offa this dustball."

"Well, yes, but-"

He held up a hand. "I know that you've been saying that ye wanna stay on fer a while, but I got news that the latest shipment just arrived. Saint knows that I would love to keep you here, yer a good worker and a nice lad. But ye won't get another chance like this fer weeks at the least. Maybe even months."

I looked down. Hank had… grown on me. And even though a large part of me was practically growling at me to ditch everything in search of Scaglietti, another much smaller fragment was missing. It was the part of me that had broken when I had resolved to get off of this planet. I had a cause to stay now. Not necessarily a healthy one, but I don't think anyone would argue that going after Scaglietti and bringing him to justice was a wrong choice, morally speaking.

But it felt like a betrayal. I had broken a bit. I had given in and decided to keep moving, keep travelling. Simply latching on to an excuse to stay here irritated me. No, I wasn't treating it as an excuse. But that didn't stop me from seeing it as one.

I genuinely hated Scaglietti and wanted to mess up his plans as much as possible. But it felt like I was using him as some sort of crutch to rebel against Precia. I had lost the war with myself. Better to bow out with grace and keep on travelling than to stay, clutching and scraping at every bit of resistance I could find like some sort of dog.

When I tried to think it through, to weigh both sides of the argument, I just… couldn't. There were no real arguments that ever had any weight in my head. I could rationalize and try to put words to them all that I wanted, but in the end it was my heart tugging me in both directions.

I hated myself for thinking this way, for feeling this way. It was just my pride speaking, and I hated it for that, but it was also an indisputable aspect of myself speaking out. This conflict wasn't something that I could ignore. It wasn't something that could be categorized, put into numbers or words, broken down into bite-sized chunks.

The problem was simple. A binary choice. And that made it complicated. There was no gradient. Whatever choice I made, it would be one that would stick with me.

Somewhere along the way I had begun to pace. My stomach was aching, the smell of the food cooking turned from appetizing to nauseating. I couldn't focus, couldn't think, couldn't- I just couldn't! Couldn't do anything, couldn't feel anything at this point. A frightening progression of… whatever this was. The walls weren't anywhere close to me, yet the room was way too small. My breath was coming out in gasps.

A hand came down on my shoulder, gently squeezing. I looked up. Hank was there, a sad smile visible through his bushy mustache.

"The ship doesn't leave 'til tomorrow morn'. Why don't ya take the day to think on it, eh? I have a pal who can get you in, no problem."

I nodded. It didn't do anything to directly address my dilemma, but it was strangely helpful. I had stopped hyperventilating, for one. "Thanks, Hank. For… for everything, I mean. Taking me in, giving me a job-"

He held a hand up again. "Hold yer horses right there lad. I took ye in at first, but you've worked for everything I've given ye past that. Don't go thankin' me, thank yerself. I don't think you do that enough."

I held back a wince. Thank myself? I wasn't the type to be overly harsh on myself, but I had a big enough head as it was, thank you very much. I could already feel the weight of this new dilemma pressing on me in the back of my mind.

"Right, I'll do that…"

If I crossed my fingers behind my back, well, nobody was there to see it.
It was with an increasing sense of the deadline looming over me that I took my place behind the bar. I hadn't come any closer to making a decision. My tension had just been ramping up the entire day, although I don't think any of the regulars picked up on it.

If they had, they were politely ignoring it and carrying on as usual, allowing me to occupy myself with serving them. For now, at least, I could stop thinking about it.

Then Tre slipped in, taking her usual seat without a word. Just looking at her made me remember the upcoming decision and I had to look away to suppress a wince.

"Is something wrong?" She asked.

I coughed. "Ah, no. Just some personal matters on my mind, nothing to worry about." I flashed her a smile.

She nodded. "Are you busy today?"

"Eh?" I blinked. "Well I'm working right now…"

"My boss wants to meet you. Our operations are expanding, and from what I can tell you're fairly strong, as well as local. I was told to extend an offer."

This… had to be a trap. Scaglietti's "operations" weren't anything that he'd let someone he didn't have firmly under his thumb in on, and I was some random ass guy working at a tavern in the middle of nowhere. What had I even done to warrant this though? Had he noticed that I was looking for his lab? Had I actually gotten too close for comfort?

Tre seemed to notice my hesitance and took it for consideration, because she continued speaking. "If you're free now, I would like to spar with you to get a better idea of your strength."

"Ah…" My mouth was dry. In my peripheral vision I could vaguely make out Hank gesturing wildly in a variety of ways that all meant "no." I didn't disagree. Like I said, this was obviously a trap.

This was a golden opportunity though, at least as far as my search for Scaglietti went. If she was telling the truth about Scaglietti wanting to meet me, the possibilities… But this was also Tre. The Number who would eventually wind up as a match for S+ ranked mages. The best of the combat cyborgs at combat. Even over a decade before she would show that strength, I was under no illusions that she couldn't beat my ass like a drum.

If she wanted to kill me, there would be nothing that I could do to stop her.

My fingers drummed against the counter. One, two, three. One, two, three.

Oh fuck it, I hadn't been smart so far, why should I start now? "Alright, if it's just a friendly spar… I still have to work tomorrow, you know."

Tre nodded but didn't say anything, instead getting up and heading over to the door.

"You know, that's the part where you tell me I'm worrying for nothing," I called after her as I followed, handing the rag over to Hank. He gave me a worried look and I nodded. He clapped me on the back and… that was that. There wasn't much left to say.
Tre led me out of town, taking off and blurring into the distance. I followed, although I began to lag behind as time passed. Either I was slow, or she was fast. Quite possibly both, to be frank. Well we hadn't even started fighting and I was already getting hints at just how outclassed I was.

Thankfully we didn't fly far enough for the difference to become too noticeable. Tre stopped in midair after what I assumed was a sufficient distance had formed between us and the town. It was still within view, a mass of shapes and lights off in the distance. Hopefully that was a good sign that this wasn't going to end with me dead.

"We'll spar, light contact. First to three blows. Is this acceptable?" Tre asked.

I shrugged. "Sure. I'm self-taught though, so go easy on me, alright?"

Tre didn't give a response, instead blurring into a line headed straight for me. I yelped, waving my hand to lob some magical bullets at her while I shot backwards myself. They were hasty, barely concentrated blobs of mana given a trajectory with some more mana cribbed for velocity. She didn't even blink, or at least I assumed she didn't. Instead, she simply wove through the bullets.

Her flight looked like she was running through the air, visible small wings of mana sprouting from her arms and legs. I wasn't going to outrun her. More to the point, from what I remembered she specialized in close quarters combat.

I gave up on any form of maneuvering. In a contest of flight, I simply wasn't going to win any marks.

Tre flashed briefly and then suddenly phased out of my sight, immediately reappearing right in front of me. The sudden movement was a surprise, but I had already been prepping a shield spell. The calculations weren't done yet though, so although I still cast it successfully, it was simple and obviously not fully finished. Only a couple of the outer rings fully formed, and the arcane sigils were fuzzy and flickering in and out of existence.

An uppercut smashed into the circle and slowed for a brief instant, before shattering into motes of light. It absorbed most of the force, but Tre then grabbed me. With a twirl I was swung around and kicked up into the air.

She was holding back enough that I didn't break anything, but the sound of her kicking me was loud enough that she very well could have. I struggled to regain control over my movement through my flight spell, but managed to do so just in time to twist out of the way of a follow-up punch.

I had to suck a breath in as I felt the Gs produced by that maneuver ring through my body. Fuck, how did mages… Knowledge surfaced from the depths of my unconsciousness, and a new spell joined the flight spell being maintained in my mind. A field-type defensive spell that buffered against external forces, with another function for managing oxygen levels and temperature differences. A basic part of flight, apparently.

The relief was sudden, not just from the stresses of that maneuver but also from an additional load of pressures that I hadn't been fully cognizant of before.

There was no time to appreciate the sensation though. Tre wheeled around in the air to face me, hanging there for an instant. She was the very picture of death, with her traveller's cloak splaying all around her from the gusts we generated through our flight. Then she began to follow me, and I panicked.

The stress of constantly juggling a flight spell was bad enough, but this new field spell wasn't something I had practiced with before. My concentration broke, and the flight spell fell apart. I began to plummet, wind lashing at my body. Even worse, over the sounds of the air howling past my ears I could hear a whistling, rapidly getting louder.

Tre was gaining.

My mind was in a bit of a tizzy. What little bit of calm I had was being spent on maintaining the field-spell so that the winds tearing at my body didn't get a complete grasp on me.

Right when the whistling reached a climax I spun, as if I were rolling over on my side. Tre slipped past me, although she managed to smash her fist into my side as she passed. I ignored it, gritting my teeth as I managed to finish the roll, bringing myself back into my previous position and reaching out with my arms to grab her.

I wrapped my body around her, as if I were pinning her, and then released a burst of a lot of my mana. There were some calculations to concentrate it and direct it a little better than an all-around pulse, but it was basic beyond belief, like most of the other techniques I had employed. There was a cold sensation creeping up my fingers now, and with the field-spell up it could only have been from the mana I was now missing. I hissed between my teeth.

The wings that she had on her limbs were energy constructs. Scaglietti's combat cyborgs apparently converted their mana into some other kind of energy, but I was banking on some of their properties being the same.

The process of shaping mana required calculations, linking, to give it direction and ensure that it kept its coherence. This process was usually pretty stable, more so if the equations were done to sufficient precision and accuracy. But a sudden change in variables, such as a burst of a not-insubstantial burst of mana, might work to disrupt those calculations enough to simply cancel the spell. Such a concept was actually the backbone of many anti-magic spells, although they were streamlined to change the most variables with the least effort expended.

To put it in layman's terms, a spell could be considered a lock. Depending on the variables and equation, the lock is manipulated such that only a given key can open it. A refined counterspell might suss out the inner workings of the spell before systematically warping it just enough to get through. I had ripped the door off of its hinges and thrown it down Mount Doom.

The energy wings paled, then winked out of existence. Tre shot me a shocked look over her shoulder as we fell, and then I finally managed to reactivate my flight spell. Well, kind of. I had bastardised the steering capabilities for pure speed and ease of activation, pointing us straight down.

Then I bastardised another spell. A support spell. Whereas a normal buffing support spell might focus on directing mana to augment the target's physical abilities, I pumped everything into the flight spell, overloading it. The calculations intensified, expanding to deal with the mana. Ring after ring was added to the spell circle, and I quickly lost track of it. The spell broke.

But that instant had given me acceleration. A fair amount of it. We were basically at the ground now.

An instant before we struck the ground, Tre and I both blurred into motion. I flicked my wrist, completing a field-type spell of my own creation. A purple aura flickered over my body, only visible for an instant before fading from sight. She twisted, shrugging me off of her body before kicking me down to hit the ground before her. Then we both hit the ground.

To know what happened, we have to break that down even further.

I hit the ground.

The purple aura flared back into existence.

She hit me.

The aura winked once, faded, and then immediately blazed back into existence.

My left hand brushed against her. The instant it made contact, the aura concentrated there, as if it were travelling, the light growing in intensity the more concentrated it became. It all gathered in that hand then transferred over in the instant I touched her. With a blast, she was flung off of me and to the side, where her body made a trail in the dirt.

Then white took over my vision as, yes, the force of impact travelled through my field spell and seemed to do its best to kill me with pain alone.

When my vision came back, Tre was standing over me with a slight look of worry on her face.

"So, I lost then?" I groaned. Just breathing was hurting me, let alone talking. I… still don't think I broke anything though. Just really, really bruised myself.

She shook her head. "I landed my third hit on you at the very end. But you fought very well. I see no reason why you wouldn't be qualified for-"

Tre was cut off by the sound of clapping.

"Brilliant! Oh, simply brilliant!" I turned my head. A man in a lab coat, with long purple hair… Scaglietti…

He walked towards us, laughing. "It's clear as day that you have no real training, but to equip yourself that well! And as fresh as you must be, too… My, someone did have the same idea as me - and they even completed it before I could!"

"Wha-" The man waved his hands and then talked over me.

"Oh, don't deny it young Faust! You're a product of Project Fate, a resurrection… and a complete one at that!"

Beside me, Tre blinked. "Doctor, you mean-"

"Oh yes, he's not just some brain dead corpse with memories. He came right out with will, emotions… a heart," Scaglietti's smile was slasher-esque now, wider than I honestly figured was comfortable. It sure wasn't comfortable for me to see. "Normally that takes products years to develop, but here you are, cognizant and emoting as if you were the same person as your donor."

He squatted down next to me and ruffled my hair, almost possessively cupping the top of my head. "I thought I was dreaming when I looked at your genetic data you know. Tre had brought you to my attention, she thought that maybe you were strong enough to use as material for my Numbers… but you're so much more valuable than that now. I know, you see. I started that project. In a way, you could say that I'm your father…"

"And a father always knows," he whispered into my ear. It took every ounce of self-control I had not to shudder. As it was, I was too busy working on something else.

"Well, Tre," Scaglietti stood up and dusted himself off. "We should be getting back now. Tre, be a dear and bring him with us. Turn on your AMF as well, we don't need him getting any ideas."

I kicked out at Tre, aiming for her face. As expected, she dodged and then retaliated instinctively, unable to pull back. Her return kick smashed into my side just as the purple aura flared up. I threw my hand down against the ground, and the resulting rebound sent me flying to the side in an explosion of sand, tumbling in the air before I activated my flight spell and overloaded it with as much mana as I could comfortably control, and then pushing it past that a little.

I wouldn't be able to outspeed Tre if she got serious, but the good doctor had been there right next to me. There had to be some measure of worry there.

We had been close enough to town that within minutes I was at the tavern. Hank was waiting with a worried expression right by the door, sitting at a nearby table. He had my stuff in his hands, and as soon as I walked in he scanned me up and down. I'm sure that I looked like hell. I felt like it too.

"So you're going then?" He asked.

I nodded.

"I told you not to get involved with that girl, y'know."

I nodded again and looked down. "I know."

We walked in silence, looking around to make sure that nobody was following us. I had long-since stopped pumping out any magic, so we only had mundane means of observation to worry about. The nightlife had died out, and only the scant few street lamps lighting the road let us see.

After a couple of minutes we arrived at our destination. A general store, owned by one of the regulars.

Hank knocked in a rhythmic pattern, and the owner opened the door for us and hurried us through to the back, where there was an open crate.

"It's not uncommon fer folks to want to travel a bit without payin' fare on passenger ships. It's still some money, but you can get on in a crate like this and then leave on the next planet, free as can be," Hank explained. He clapped me on the shoulder, and then drew me in for a hug.

I hugged him back, not trusting myself to say anything.

"I'm sorry that you had ta make a decision like this…" He sighed.

"Well… here's yer things. All yer clothes, some food 'n water, and yer cash," he lopped the canvas bag into the crate.

I stepped into the crate. "Are you… going to be okay? They were after me, you're going to be the first place they check."

He waved it off. "Don't worry about me laddie. Everyone at the bar saw you an' her walk on out. When you don' show up tomorrow, it's gonna be right obvious what happened. They'd have to burn the entire town down to keep that a secret. An' us Aenia folk, we're hardy. If they've got any brain cells to rub between 'em, they'll keep away an' not come back."

I nodded in response and tried sitting down in the crate. My knees wouldn't bend past a certain point though. I stopped and then stepped out of the crate. I hugged Hank again. "I know I said it already, but thanks for… everything. I mean it."

He nodded and laughed. "Don't you worry about it lad. If you're still wantin' to see me, you know our number. You can call at any time, as long as I'm not sleepin'!"

I couldn't answer, nor did I even try. The lump in my throat made it pretty clear that that would be a failure. Instead, I finally sat down in the crate and cast a trance spell on myself to keep my bodily needs to a low.

The crate lid closed over me, and for one last moment Hank and I nodded at each other. Then I was trapped in darkness, with only the light shining in from the air holes to see by.

If Hank had seen the moisture dripping down my cheeks, he didn't say anything. I had done the same for him, after all.

The transition from escaping Tre to reaching town feels a bit too abrupt. When he talks with Hank at the end, I would also expect a bit more urgency and post-combat jitters.

Working with Jail and the numbers would have been a fun arc, but alas, your MC is forever dead to me. He had the option of gaining the numbers as sisters and instead chose to flee at maximum egress? I mean, sure, Jail has a minor case of malign hypercognitive disorder, but no work environment is perfect.

"In a way, you could say that I'm your father…"
MC: "Kickass. So, daddy-o, can you hook me up with some of those sweet, sweet cybernetics?"
Jail: "But on the other hand, I already have more than enough children at the moment."

Last edited:
The transition from escaping Tre to reaching town feels a bit too abrupt. When he talks with Hank at the end, I would also expect a bit more urgency and post-combat jitters.
Sweet. I use scene breaks a fair bit but that means actual transitions are hard lol. Also yeah, something weird about writing an SI is how tempted I am to just kinda... narrate what I think I'd do without considering how I'd be presenting myself emotionally and all.

Working with Jail and the numbers would have been a fun arc, but alas, your MC is forever dead to me. He had the option of gaining the numbers as sisters and instead chose to flee at maximum egress? I mean, sure, Jail has a minor case of malign hypercognitive syndrome, but no work environment is perfect.

To be fair. The cybernetics require genetic modification while in the early development of an embryo. So that ship has more or less sailed for him. I mean, like he could still get like... cybernetic prosthetics. But not the specific cybernetic enhancements that the Numbers get. Scaglietti is a genius but even he is limited by science, sadly... For now at least.

Chapter 5
AN: Well this chapter is more of a transitionary chapter. Think of this as the space between arcs. We finished the first one (more of a prologue, really), I have no idea what to call it yet, and are moving on the second, again no idea what to call it yet.

Speaking of names, not really sure if I like what I have right now. Thinking of splitting this into multiple fics, one for each World, depending on how long I make them... Another working title for if I keep everything as one fic is Stranded Without my Keys. Idk, thoughts? Suggestions? lol
The trance magic did its job. It wasn't quite like being asleep, but rather more like that half-hazy existence when you weren't quite sure if you were sleeping or not, but still felt like you had some measure of perception. If you had asked me just a couple of months ago, I might have described it as restful, nice even.

Now it just reminded me too much of the void-like state I had floated around in before being cloned by Precia. That Darkness, a state of non-being… Even under the spell, I had to consciously wrestle with myself not to break the spell. Even as I told myself over and over that I wouldn't simply fade, that my existence was anchored, I could feel the fear lurking inside. It was as ingrained as any I had ever felt, and I doubted I would ever truly be over it.

Thankfully one of the senses that the spell dulled was the sense of time. So it didn't seem like too long before the ship shuddered and came to a stop. Just like that the spell broke, and I waited for the crew members to come around and break open the box.

In the meanwhile, I wove another spell. Scaglietti may have been in Aenia still, but he had lots of money, and more importantly, the government was backing him. I couldn't put it past him to have people watching the port, or even the ship itself. So I was going to change my appearance.

Illusion magic was complicated.

No, that was an understatement. Even Precia, a knowledgeable magic researcher, didn't have that many illusion spells under her belt. Simply put, they were mana-intensive, calculation-heavy, and as cumbersome as they were useful.

Visual illusions focused on bending light to change what people see. Auditory illusions do much the same, creating or manipulating vibrations to produce sounds. There are other senses, of course, and usually at least a couple of ways to fool them. But the more complete the illusion, the more of these you have to take into account, and none of these were simple operations on their own.

Thankfully I didn't have to do all of that. It was merely a subtle visual illusion. A little more height, and an elongated shadow to match. A change of eye and hair color. Add on a little bit of baby fat to the face. I was no artist on the best of days.

When the crew finally came around to my crate, I got up and stretched even as I looked around the room. More crates, of course, littered the room. And every now and then one would pop open and someone would step out. Maybe they were from Aenia, maybe from even further out.

Male, female, young, old, it was an eclectic collection of individuals. I stole from them all.

That man's nose, this girl's ears, maybe some laugh lines like on that old man…

I only had so much mana and concentration, so I had to do some adding and dropping, but by the end I felt pretty confident in having achieved a good balance between mana-usage and actual disguising ability.

Nobody gave a second look at any of us gathered travellers, and when we disembarked we immediately scattered.

I immediately went to a bathroom inside of the port and looked in the mirror, memorizing my appearance. Like I said earlier, I wasn't an artist by any means. If I could just keep even one alternate appearance ready to use, it would be much easier than artificially recreating it each time I needed it.

The man that looked back at me from the mirror was certainly different. Light brown hair that fritzed out everywhere, taller by a good couple of inches, and decidedly older. He had the middle aged look going on, from the lines beginning to appear on his face to the set of his jaw. My eyes were slightly larger, and a subdued green, leading towards a thin, hooked nose. A light amount of stubble, the sign of someone who didn't regularly shave but in fact had done so relatively recently. My skin tone was a touch paler, taking away most of the tan I usually had.

Overall I think the disguise worked. I nodded in the mirror then strode out the door, keeping the spell in place. I'd find some temporary work, get enough money to move on, and get off this planet as soon as possible. Maybe on the next planet I'd relax a little more.

Provided I didn't hear anything about Al-Hazard and get compelled to chase after that.
"Scaglietti?" Precia's voice was, dare I say it, surprised.

Either telepathy was much more expressive than normal communication, or Precia was actually rather shaken by this revelation.

"Yes," I answered. "I'm fairly certain that's who he is. In any case, he seems to have taken an extreme interest in me. I managed to escape for the moment, but I don't think I'm exactly in the clear just yet."

She hummed, and I waited patiently in my bed. I had managed to find a rather cheap motel and gotten a room for the night, before I had had the idea to report to Precia. Sure, she and Scaglietti had collaborated at one point, but I doubted that they really kept in contact. And honestly? As much as I hated her, Scaglietti was far too much for me to handle now that I had lost any and all pretenses of surprise.

I wasn't necessarily useful to Precia, not yet. But I had the potential to be so in the future, and was thus worth investing some measure of effort in keeping alive, right? But this was Precia, the person who I absolutely hated the most.

Even if it was to keep myself alive, the fact that I was essentially running to her for help… I had considered, for just an instant, if it was truly worth it. If I could actually live with myself if I could only live through the grace of her. Then I remembered that I was a clone of the original me. For all intents and purposes, that boat had long since sailed. It left a sour taste in my mouth.

"Well…" She drawled. "If Scaglietti is indeed interested in you because of your worth as a completed product of Project Fate, that would be… problematic for Alicia and I. Still, the man only has so much manpower, and despite his resources, if he's still how he was the last time I saw him he should be stretched rather thin at all times."

"So, you'll help me?" I asked.

There was a moment of silence before I received the sound of crackling. Just the sound, and only for an instant. But I knew what it was. That same ball of crackling purple energy I had witnessed right after waking up after being cloned…

"You did disobey my orders," She said. "I told you to keep a low profile, did I not? Now Scaglietti, a man of obsession and genius, is after you."

I didn't think that she could send an attack after me. I was… potentially still in personal teleportation range, but I would be more inclined than not to think that I was safe. "But that was through no fault of my own. In addition, Scaglietti is potentially a threat to you and Alicia as well."

The crackling stopped. "True enough. Still, there is not much that I can do for you. Scaglietti has access to far more resources than I, and moreso, he has the assistance of our esteemed TSAB as well. Hm… Here is what I will do."

Purple energy flickered across my skin and I let out a shout before clamping my jaw shut.

"I've encoded a fail safe of sorts. If you are captured by him, you will self-destruct. Hopefully in such a way that will take him out too, but I will settle for simply denying him any information that could lead back to me," She said. "Perhaps it will teach you a lesson about attracting attention as well."

My mind blanked before I registered just what she had done.

I saw red. Everything was at least tinted by it. There was a low crackling that permeated my hearing, and I dimly realized that it was the sound of my own mana going wild, even as the bulk of my attention was on a series of calculations, a set of nested spells that when completed, should-

"Well of course it would be best if it didn't come to that," Precia continued.

I blinked and the mana dissipated, the magic circles fading out of existence as my mind stopped working on the equations.

"I don't have the ease of access that Scaglietti does, but I do have the advantage of knowing where you are. I should be able to distort any public records that you appear in and deny him information on your whereabouts through that. It won't be instant though, and I would highly recommend that you try to simply avoid being caught in such whenever you can. Still, that should be where the bulk of Scaglietti's searching capability comes from," She said.

Blocking public records… well I was largely going to be relying on illusions to begin with, but that little extra bit of security helps anyways. I took a deep breath. In… Out…

"I see," I managed to say.

She laughed. A harsh, quick thing. "Oh? Not going to thank me?"

Thank her? She had just put, in essence, a bomb inside my chest. And she expected me to thank her?

"Well it's of no consequence. For what it's worth, I do hope he loses interest in you soon. Familiars really are such a hassle to make, and I'm in no position to be finding any other help of any kind." With that said, there was a sensation of static running along the back of my neck. The call was over.

I sighed and threw an arm over my eyes.

"Fuck."
The next day was… better. I managed to find a job using my magic to help out with some manual labor in construction.

Yes, it was pretty shady. They hadn't even pulled out any contracts, just handed me a wad of bills for the day and brought me over to the construction site.

But it paid pretty well. Not a lot of money, admittedly, but enough that I didn't feel the need to look for any other jobs. At the rate I was spending and earning money, I would only need to be on this planet for a couple of weeks before I managed to charter passage on another ship.

A happy thought, to be sure.

I had gone to sleep, if not happy, at least content with what I had accomplished for the day.

The following day had me show up with a little bit of a spring in my step, and I was tempted to whistle.

"Hey, new kid!" The foreman waved me over as I entered the site. "Come on over here, will you?"

He was talking to some men in suits, and as I approached he patted me on the back and pushed me forwards. "So, you're a mage right? Pretty strong, eh?"

"I'm… capable enough. I guess," I said.

He nodded. "Right. Well, the boss and his men," he gestured towards the men in suits, "got a job from this fellow. Top secret, needs as few of our legitimate men as possible, and as many of our mages as we can spare. You in?"

I blinked. "Uh… Is this… something that you can just be telling me?"

He laughed. "Oh, man! Nah, you're good kid. What're you going to do, tell the fuzz? We know how to cover ourselves, you're desperate enough to come to us for work, and it's not like the client's doing anything illegal! Just some researcher that wants his lab away from the city, y'know? One of those scientist types. Got a crap job from above or something, he's researching… I dunno, Belka or something." The foreman bent over, unable to stop himself from laughing. "Belka! There are still people that are trying to find it, I guess."

"Ah," I nodded, a mechanical motion. The rest of my body was frozen. "Belka..."

"I know, I know!" The foreman wiped a tear from an eye. "I couldn't believe it either. Anyways, are you in?"

"Yeah, of… of course," I said. "As long as I get paid, right?"

I wanted to cry inside. I had no choice, not really. I was distressingly, very aggressively aware of how often Ancient Belkan research tied in with Al-Hazard research.

"Don't worry about it, we'll pay you well," the foreman waved it off. "These kinds of jobs need your kind, y'know? Off the books mages. We'll keep you in mind, and the more you work for us, the more jobs we'll get you in on. It all works out for everyone."

Fucking hell.

"Anyways, these suits'll take you over to the construction site. Just… y'know, they'll have to blindfold you and all of that good shit. I dunno, lots of secrecy stuff. It's always a concern for the higher ups with that kinda work."

I couldn't do anything but nod and let myself be moved by the men in suits as they took me over to another group of workers. As one, we were led to an eighteen-wheeler truck, where we piled in the back.

As the truck started up and began to move, I let out a sigh and closed my eyes. I guess I wasn't going to be getting off of this planet anytime soon after all.

Chapter 6
AN: Back again with another chapter. We finally get some real plot advancement, as well as a short time skip. Looking at the scale of Nanoha, we're gonna be doing that a fair bit here, as well as every now and then in other Worlds as well once we get there.
Thankfully enough, that first lab proved to be of no real concern. It was shady, yes, but the scientist there was just researching the types of devices that the mages of yore had used. There was interesting data that suggested that he was on to the qualifications necessary to use Unison devices, but I didn't really have the knowledge necessary to keep up.

In any case, the rest of the year passed much like that. I would travel, stop for a bit to make some more money or just relax, and more often than not I'd hear about some people chasing after fantasies.

Al-Hazard this, Ancient Belka that, some such Lost Logia… it never really ended. It's not like I didn't understand - I hung around the frontier, the edges of civilization. If you were ever going to chase after dreams of ancient wonders, you were almost certain to end up in these areas. The closer you got to Midchilda and its hub of administrated worlds, the more explored they tended to be and the more regulations were actually enforced.

Out in the wilds, where any two bit mad scientist with a bit of cash could easily make their own private lab? Or where you could look at a map and just know that nobody had done more than a cursory topographical scan? It was tempting to megalomaniacs and adventurers alike.

I… found myself not hating it, despite what I had believed. But I most certainly would have been more comfortable settling down in a core world.

There wasn't really any choice though. Between my enforced obedience to Precia, and the knowledge that the closer I got to civilization the closer I got to Scaglietti, the best that I could really do was hope that any given world I popped in on would have a decent hotel and a decent place to work.

Sometimes I'd get lucky. A decent sized town, maybe even a city, and a place where I could basically bum around and unwind before I had to investigate something or move on. One particular occasion had me in a city like that for a couple of months. To be honest, I was kind of dragging my feet on that one, but hey if I could get away with it I sure as hell would.

Usually I wasn't though. The kinds of leads I'd find generally had me roughing it out far from civilization, because of fucking course ruins and labs couldn't be anywhere convenient. They were already on these backwater dirtballs, why not go the full nine yards?

No, I wasn't mad about this at all, thank you very much.

At the very least I hadn't encountered Scaglietti or any of his Numbers again. Given how many of them he'd specced to be stealth/recon based that didn't actually mean anything, but I was more or less inclined to believe that I'd shaken him. At least for now.

This all made it a bit of a surprise to actually get a call from Precia once. It had been about a year since I had woken up in this universe, and I hadn't spoken to Precia since she had oh so kindly made it so that I'd explode if Scaglietti caught me. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. There wasn't going to be a third time if I had anything to say about it.

The call had been more of a message. She'd been mad. Really, frothing, foaming at the mouth mad. All she'd snapped at me was an order to travel to Faurus, administrated world number 64. The order was weird. Generally speaking the higher the number, the further from Midchilda a world was. 64 would be somewhere in the outreaches, yet not quite to the outskirts yet. It was just close enough to still have a notable TSAB presence, yet far enough that the TSAB was more of an overseer for the actual government than a real substantive force of legislative authority.

Risky, to be sure, but definitely not as bad as it could have been.

It had been made pretty clear that she wanted me there as soon as possible. At least going by how curt the call was, and the sheer rage I could hear in her voice. But Faurus was in the middle regions while I was, again, in the frontier. It took some creative usage of the local currency and a bit of labor but I managed to get the dimensional coordinates of the nearest world with ships that went that far.

I wasn't exactly hurting for money, living the nomad lifestyle that I was, but the prices shot up for ships that were heading inwards. There was likely a significant difference in the price of living among many other economic considerations. In other words, if this stay was going to be on the longer side of things, I'd pretty quickly need to make some more money. And I had a sinking feeling that well-paying jobs that didn't need any sort of identification would be a lot harder to find.

Even with all of these factors coming into play, I managed to make the trip in a week. Not too shabby in my opinion. Precia would likely differ, but she could stuff it. She wasn't the one that had to figure out how to manage stowing away on a ship that had security that actually cared about that kind of thing.

It was late at night when I finally checked into a motel. I tossed my bag onto the floor and slumped onto the bed. I took a few minutes to just sit there and shake off the jet lag before sighing.

"Alright, I finally made it over to Faurus," I sent over to Precia.

There was a good half minute of silence before she responded. "Are you in a secure location?"

"As secure as a hotel room can get. It's, what, midnight over here? I'm really not sure how much more secure I can get and the trip was tiring. If it's that important can we just wait until tomorrow?"

"Oh? Are you talking back to me?" Precia asked. There was a hint of something dark and dangerous in her voice.

I didn't respond. Instead I closed my eyes and took deep breaths, until I managed to unclench my fists. When had they even gotten like that?

She continued after it became apparent that I wouldn't answer. "In any case, no, it's not something that you'd need to worry about so long as you're out of the public eye. Project Fate… was a failure. The doll that was created is in no way Alicia. I'm sorry to inform you, but you are not the original you either. I'm sure nobody really cares so much though."

Ah, my fists have clenched up again. And Project Fate being a failure? It seemed that even with me as a guinea pig, Precia still wasn't happy with the result. That would mean Fate was activated. And Precia rejected her.

"I see," I say. If this were being said out loud, I'd probably be hissing through my teeth, but telepathy doesn't require that so my response should have been calm. Calmer than I felt, at least.

"Nothing to say?" Precia asked. She- was she amused?

Deep breaths Faust. Deep breaths.

"Well regardless of if I really am the real me or not-"

"You aren't," Precia interrupted.

"It doesn't really matter to me. What was, was, and what is, is. The best that I can do is keep on living and moving forward as I am right now. There's no point in worrying about it," I continued.

Precia hummed. "Well, you certainly are optimistic. I suppose that's for the best. In any case, I am going to continue with my research to revive Alicia through other methods. You are to continue on as you were. In addition, I am going to be sending the failure over to you. At the very least, you are going to raise her to assist you in your task. Ideally she won't prove to be a waste of resources, but I doubt that I will even break even given what went into her creation…"

"I'm sorry, what? I don't know how old this girl is, but you're going to send her to me? You want me to raise a little girl, while still travelling through the frontier and avoiding the mad scientist who wants to dissect me?" No, even through telepathy there was no way that I was going to make my shock and disbelief.

"Yes, well I certainly won't spare any more resources on the continued existence of a failure. At least out there with you there's the chance for her to make back some of the debt she owes me for her existence," Precia said.

"Failure, existence, this isn't some machine Precia, it's a living breathing girl! Did you even name her?" I had long since jumped up from the bed and now I was pacing furiously through the room.

I could almost see Precia's dismissive wave. "Don't be ridiculous. The procedure was meant to resurrect Alicia. Given that she's not Alicia, how could she be a girl? She's barely showing any emotions, just like the failures produced when I collaborated with Scaglietti on the project years ago. I've been using the project name, Fate, for her. You may rename her as you wish. This conversation is over."

"Precia! Precia you-" I was cut off by the telltale sensation of static on the back of my neck.

I considered sending a message over anyways, but was stopped by a flash of light.

A purple magic circle appeared on the ground in front of me, where its glow intensified until I needed to cover my eyes. With one final flash the light vanished. I opened my eyes only to see a little girl, maybe fiveish in age, standing in front of me.

She had long blonde hair that was tied up into pigtails, but what struck me the most were her eyes. They were brown, yes, but more importantly they were… empty. I've heard of lifeless eyes, but this was my first time really seeing them.

To my shame, I found myself being unnerved by them. It was only for an instant before I beat that reaction down, but the fact that it had come up at all made me feel disgusted at myself.

"Hello," I crouched down to her height. "You must be Fate. I'm Faust." I smiled.

She just nodded. "Hello."

Her voice was quiet, naturally so perhaps, and somehow it was as dead as her eyes. There was no hint of emotion. No substance. There was no other noise in the room, yet I almost didn't pick up on what she had said.

"Well, it's late right now. And you're a growing girl of, uh… how old are you?" I asked.

"I'm five," She answered.

"Five, right. So let's get you to bed and we can go take care of some things tomorrow. I…" I was about to say that I needed to find a job but then I realized something. If I was going to be working, what was Fate going to do? I sure as hell wasn't going to leave her to be alone in the room.

"I will need to get you some more clothes, if those are all that you have." I recovered. She was only wearing a short black dress, and it didn't look like she had been transferred with… really any possessions. "We'll also need to get some basic toiletries," I added. I was wracking my brain for memories on what that was, but I was coming up empty.

Fate just nodded again without saying anything.

I walked over to the bed and pulled the blanket back.

"Here, you take the bed," I said.

Fate looked at me, and for a moment she tilted her head to the side before walking up to the bed and getting in. I pulled the covers over her and walked over to turn the lights off.

"Good night."

"... good night," she responded.

I waited a bit until her breathing evened out, and then I slipped outside as quietly as I could. In the hallway I began to pace furiously. "Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit," I muttered.

Precia had just dumped her daughter on me. I mean she didn't consider Fate an actual human being apparently, but I sure as hell did.

Sure she was obedient enough, but that was probably less thanks to me being any kind of trustworthy adult and more because she was just… lacking somehow. In presence. It was weird, how she could be so obviously real in the physical, yet feel so airy and blank.

That had me slapping my cheeks. Blank or not, she was obviously a living, breathing human. I had to try and provide for her physically, mentally, and probably even emotionally. I was barely providing for myself in any of those three categories. A little girl?

Deep breaths weren't really helping. At this point they weren't really that deep though, more like hyperventilation. So that was probably why.

Regardless, I suddenly had a whole sack of responsibilities and zero fucking clue on how to do any of them. I had babysat before. Played with kids, worked with kids, oh sure, yeah. I don't know how good I was with kids, but yeah, I could deal with them at least.

Raise one? Are you out of your fucking mind?

No. Clearly there was one real next step for me. When in doubt, look for advice from people that actually know what they're doing. With that in mind, I headed to the first floor of the hotel.

I didn't have a phone or really any electronic devices, but the motel had a small computer room.

It was late enough that nobody was there, so I booted up the computer and opened a browser window.

"Parenting guide," I typed in.

I stared at the search result screen. "Fuck, this is going to take a while."

Well, I didn't see this coming. Unfortunately, it seems Precia didn't create Lynith to tutor Fate this time - the MC could use the help. This also means no Arf, leaving this as the Darkest Timeline.

Well, I didn't see this coming. Unfortunately, it seems Precia didn't create Lynith to tutor Fate this time - the MC could use the help. This also means no Arf, leaving this as the Darkest Timeline.
Yeah. With Faust out and about, I didn't really see any reason for Precia to take the time, effort, and mana to create Lynith. Arf technically still exists, but the odds of Faust and Fate being in the exact area needed at the exact time to find her is... really low.

Rest in pieces, Lynith and Arf. Darkest timeline is still probably the original visual novel where Nanoha wasn't even a major character lol.

Actually, does the MC know how to create a familiar? Having someone he can trust to look after Fate while he's working would be a godsend at this point. Also, how controlled are devices? Even a simple storage device would greatly improve his threat profile.

Jail presumably doesn't know he has Fate at this point, but there's no telling if the numbers would recognize her, given the collaboration on Project Fate. Probably best to change the contours of her face a bit, and give her new hair and eye colors (I'm unsure as to what's actually practical with illusion magic in this case). With a familiar, they could pose as a family out on the frontier; Jail is looking for a single man at this point.

Last edited:
Chapter 7
AN: Probably the chapter that I like the most so far, and also the one I'm worried about the most. Not exactly saying much considering my buffer is like 2 chapters, but eh, I'll take it lol.

The next morning I was woken up by someone shaking my shoulder. I lifted my head from where it was resting on my crossed arms and rubbed at my eyes. When had I fallen asleep? I had- oh, I wasn't in my room.

"Sir, I'm afraid you can't sleep in the computer room," a woman that I assumed was an employee said to me.

I stifled a yawn and stood up, both of us wincing slightly at the sound of my back cracking as I did so. I was too young for back problems, damn it! With a sigh I brushed off my clothes.

"Sorry about that," I could feel my cheeks flaming. "I uh… You know, I'll just be going back up to my room."

She stepped out of the doorway as I walked forwards, and if my pace increased as I walked past her nobody else would know, right?

I made a quick stop by the receptionist to ask for an extra toothbrush. It seemed surprisingly high quality. Truly, to be expected from a civilization that had achieved space travel. If this was amazing, what was the core like? I am only mildly ashamed to admit that I spent the rest of the walk to my room daydreaming a little bit. I blame the lack of sleep I had gotten the night before.

But as I fumbled with my keycard my thoughts drifted to Fate. During my walk up I had seen a clock. About eight in the morning. Not time for checkout yet, but early enough that a five year old would probably still be sleeping.

Sure enough as I walked in I saw her where I had left her, tucked in to the bed. She was a neat sleeper actually, it looked like the edges of the blanket were still tucked in, and I didn't think she'd moved too much.

I was kind of jealous to be honest, but I pushed that thought away. Checkout was at nine, so I had an hour left to actually plan now that I'd slept a bit. The hotel had one of those paper pads as well as some pens, so I grabbed one of them and began to scribble as I thought.

Forty five minutes later I shook Fate. Her eyes slowly blinked open and she let out a yawn as she sat up to look at me.

"Sorry to wake you up, but we need to check out of the hotel soon," I said.

Fate nodded back.

"Alright, I grabbed you a toothbrush here," I handed it to her. "You can use my toothpaste, it should be on the counter."

Another nod.

"Do you uh… want any help while you wash up?" I asked. Five year olds could brush their own teeth though right? I didn't remember from my own childhood, nor did I remember that bit of my sister's childhood.

The research last night had been more about how to handle children than this kind of thing, which, admittedly, was probably a slightly problematic oversight.

She shook her head and swung her legs out of the bed. With a small hop Fate got off of the bed and began to walk over to the conjoined bathroom.

As I heard the sound of the faucet begin to run I buried my face in my hands. "What the hell am I doing?" I whispered.

I slapped my cheeks as she walked out. "Alright, I have all of my things together, so just hold still while I put a little invisibility spell on you. After I do that we can check out and then continue with our day from there."

The invisibility spell that I used was of the variant that would actually manipulate the light around Fate so that people couldn't see her. They'd still be able to touch her, and the spell was more draining than I was necessarily accustomed to, but I was confident that I could hold it until we got out of the hotel.

If Fate were any other five year old I'd have been worried. But she was, as she was the night before, almost worryingly well-behaved.

The Fate that I had known of before… well, before everything, had been somewhat similar. Quiet, a kind person, and somewhat subdued but definitely not to this extent. And that had been Fate after years of child abuse and neglect from Precia.

So what was going on?

Then I was struck by a memory, from last night. "She's barely showing any emotions, just like the failures produced when I collaborated with Scaglietti on the project years ago."

That led to another memory. From the one time I had met Scaglietti. "He came right out with will, emotions… a heart."

Well that wasn't worrying at all. Something was clearly off. We were already way off-track from what should have been, and this was just compounding it even further.

The light shining in my eyes from the door shook me from these thoughts. I led Fate off to the side before removing the invisibility spell.

She was taking the time to look around the outside. We weren't in the downtown per se, but it wasn't like I had chosen a place in the slums either. The weather was nice, with few clouds in the sky and the sun shining.

There were birds off in the sky, and people were strolling around.

Even so, there wasn't any light in Fate's eyes. Whatever she was looking around with, at most it could be called curiosity, but that felt… wrong. This wasn't anything nearly so personal. But it was something. It was the most initiative that she had shown in our… what, nine hours together so far.

"Alright Fate, so… how much do you know about uh… what's going on right now?" I crouched down and asked.

"We're just left the hotel," Fate answered. "And are now standing outside."

I lifted a finger and then paused. "That is… correct. My bad. Let me change the question. Do you know why Precia dropped you off with me?"

"Mother said that she was very busy, and that you would help me learn magic," she said.

I might have imagined it, but there was a slight hesitance as she said it. I wasn't sure, but I did know Precia. Not that well, but still much better than I would prefer. What Fate had told me seemed far too tactful and, dare I say it, nice, for me to believe that it was what Precia had said ad verbatim.

The question then became, how would I navigate this accidental minefield I seem to have stepped on?

"Right, well, that's more or less it. Anyways, I was spending my time before out on the frontier, but it'd be pretty silly of me to bring a child like you there, especially given how I was travelling. So we're gonna buy you some clothes, how does that sound?"

Fate nodded.

"Alright, let's get going then!" I stood up.

Thankfully the night before I had had the foresight to look up stores where I could buy something resembling a wardrobe for Fate without breaking my bank. I had even budgeted for it to make sure. It was even close enough to walk to. Truly, the wonders of the internet know no bounds.

As we walked I would try to start up a conversation, but Fate never reciprocated. Not necessarily for lack of trying, but well… her responses would more often than not be nods, shrugs, one word answers… you get the idea.

We must have looked pretty weird, because I didn't give up. Anyone nearby would have seen a young man walking with his head craned to the side trying to talk with a five year old girl who had the absolute best poker face they would have ever seen.

The two of us didn't look related, so I would've been lying if I said I wasn't feeling very self conscious about the strange looks we were getting from other people.

There were a fair amount of these looks.

I let out a not insignificant sigh of relief when we reached the store without getting stopped by anyone and we walked inside. The shop had a fair amount of childrens' clothes for boys and girls, and there weren't too many shoppers at the moment. The ones that were there were mainly young mothers, sometimes walking around with their kids and often enough not.

We got more looks. I barely looked old enough to be a parent at all, let alone one with a five year old child. And Fate had blond hair while mine was jet black. The less said about our facial features the better.

I should have used an illusion. But it was a little too late now. My face was burning as I walked up to an employee who was checking something at a nearby rack.

"Excuse me, maam," I said. "Would you mind helping us pick out some clothes for her? Her mother just dropped her off at my place without any warning, and well… she doesn't have any clothes, or well… anything she's not carrying right now."

The woman's face filled with understanding before morphing into pity. "Ah, yes, I understand. Sure, let's get you all outfitted out sweety," she said to Fate. Then she turned back to me. "Do you have a budget for this? And if you need any toiletries or the like, there's a good store for that just across the street."

I managed to give her all of the necessary information without blubbering too much, but when I walked out of the store to get the aforementioned toiletries I was painfully aware of the adults in the store who had been giving me pitying looks. As soon as I walked out I set up an illusion with the sole purpose of keeping the flush in my cheeks down. I wanted nothing more than to go to a new hotel, crawl into the bed, and roll around screaming into a pillow.

The toiletries didn't take that long to get, and as I was walking out I caught sight of something. A pay phone booth. I took a quick second to look through the windows of the clothing store. Fate was dutifully following the woman who had agreed to help us as she walked through the racks and took items off to hold up to Fate.

I had the time.

With that decided, I walked into the booth and slipped some coins in before punching the number that I had in mind into the holographic keyboard. There was a whirr as it started ringing up the phone on the other end. As an old phone booth, it didn't look like this thing had video capabilities. A little weird, considering the holographic keyboard, but most people still drove around in cars. Advanced cars, but still… just cars really. There was probably some scientific or economic reasoning behind it, but I hadn't cared enough to look it up and it'd probably slip my mind before Fate and I checked in to our new hotel.

There was a click as the call connected to the person on the other side.

"'Ello? This is Hank, owner of-"

"Hi Hank. It's me…" I cut him off.

"Faust? Laddie it's been too long! Ye haven't checked in in what, a couple o' weeks at the least."

I nodded, and then remembered that he couldn't see me. "Yeah, it's been busy enough. Mainly been travelling around. I'm probably gonna stay where I am for the foreseeable future though."

"Eh? Yer settlin' down? Where at?" Hank asked.

"Faurus. And, ah, I'm not settling down per se. It's just uh, well… I've got a kid," I said. Then I winced. Oh wait, that hadn't come out right at all. "I me-"

Hank cut me off with a barrage of questions. "You've got a kid? Boy last time I saw ye you were… And you met someone? An' ye didn't tell me? La-"

"No!" I shouted. "I mean, yes! Well she's not mine!"

"Not yers?" Hank asked. "Ye picked up a straggler then?"

"Ah, sure, yes, that's… not entirely correct, but well… yes, that's close enough," I answered.

There was a sigh from the other end, and the sound of a hand on a forehead. Wood scraped in the background, and I could hear Hank shuffling around behind the counter. More wood scraped as he sat back down next to the phone, and I heard a pop on the other side of the call.

"I'm not sober enough fer this," Hank explained before he started drinking something on the other end. And not just sips. He was chugging. "Ah!" He stopped drinking to exclaim. There was a bit of a loud thud as glass impacted wood.

"Ye can continue," Hank said. There was a bit of a deeper drawl than usual to his words. Any further in his cups and it'd be a slur.

Well. This had escalated quickly. Or, considering what I knew of Hank's drinking habits, it was just to be expected.

"Anyways, I was just… Well, I've gotta at least try and raise her, right? She's like, what, five I think. And well… I've never done this before! I was wondering if you…" I trailed off.

Hank laughed on the other side. "Yer askin' me fer parentin' advice?"

"Uh… yes?" I said.

The laughing got even louder, bordering on hysterical.

"Shit, son! I ain't raised no kid. Not now, not ever! An' the people I do know… well raisin' a kid on Aenia ain't gonna go the same as… where are ye, Taurus?"

"But there's gotta be some… I don't know, beginner's knowledge or something that everyone knows right!" I protested.

There was the rustle of cloth on cloth. Probably him gesturing on the other side of the call. "Maybe 'ere is. Maybe no'. I wouldn't now either way. Now lad, yer not gonna hit her or anything right?"

"What? No!" I shouted.

"An' yer not gonna try and control 'er every move, right?"

Under normal circumstances, I don't really know how I would have answered. Sure there's a limit to how controlling a parent can be, but there also has to be some limits to what a child can be allowed to do.

These weren't normal circumstances. The very thought of trying to do that to Fate brought up memories of Precia. Precia commanding me to do this, to do that. Precia dropping Fate off without so much as a warning to either of us. Precia planting a mother fucking dead man's switch in my chest, ready to go off if I was ever captured by Scaglietti.

...Precia cloning me from the original.

"Fuck no!" I slammed my hands against the side of the booth. I was breathing heavily, and my heartbeat was pounding in my ears.

"Alright laddie, calm down now," Hank cautioned on the other side.

I took some deep breaths and pried my thoughts away from Precia. She was the worst fucking person I had ever met, but right now the priority was Fate. The grudge between Precia and I was ours to deal with, but Fate was innocent in every way as far as I was concerned. Moreso because I had responsibility over her. I could not let anything, even this grudge, distract me from that.

In. And out. Focus.

Gradually my breathing slowed down, and I straightened up, examining the phone booth walls. No scratches or cracks.

"Right, I'm good now. Sorry…" I coughed into my fist.

"Nah, yer fine laddie. Thought that's how ye'd answer. Anyways, yeah, you've got a pretty good noggin y'know. Ye don't always make the smartest choices, but yer not stupid. As long as you follow yer common sense and ye listen to yer heart, I have the feeling that you'll do jus' fine." Hank said.

Just fine? Well "just fine" wasn't enough. There was a five year old's childhood, and quite possibly her literal life at stake here.

"...Thanks Hank," I said. It wasn't his fault, and he had given me as much heartfelt advice as he could. The least that I could do for him was push these dark thoughts deep down into my gut, where they'd never see the light of day.

"Anytime laddie," He responded.

"So," I said. "I'll talk to you later?"

"Of course!" Hank answered. "Anytime, as long as I'm not too busy and I'm not sleepin'."

"So anytime," I laughed.

There was a grumble from the other side and then a click. Hank had hung up, the cheeky bastard. Wait, that was me in this situation, wasn't it?

I chuckled and shook my head as I exited the booth. Fate was done and waiting with the woman at the entrance to the store.

"Here are your purchases," the woman handed me a couple of bags. "And here's the rest of your money."

"Thank you," I said. "I hope that Fate wasn't a bother?"

"Oh, nonsense!" The woman laughed. "Fate's been such a well-behaved girl, you've got an excellent daughter here."

Ah. That had been where I was trying to lead her to avoid questions, yes, but well… For whatever reason I hadn't quite expected her to just come out and say it.

I looked over at Fate. Her eyes had widened a bit, but that was it. Honestly if I hadn't been looking at her poker face for the past hour or so I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

"Thank you," I said instead. "Alright Fate, let's get going then."

We said our goodbyes and walked out of the shop, with my hands full of clothing bags and Fate carrying the much smaller bag filled with her toiletries. I hadn't managed to fit it in my backpack when I'd walked out of the toiletries store earlier. I'd probably need to use a storage spell later on.

Fate's expression as we walked was, dare I say it, pensieve. If I had to say what tipped me off, I wouldn't have been able to identify anything major. Just lots of small things. A slight furrowing in her brow, a draw to her jaw... just little changes to her body language. They were made all the more noticeable in contrast to her earlier sheer emptiness.

"What's on your mind?" I asked as we walked.

Fate's mouth opened and then she paused and closed it. Her brow furrowed more, and she was humming a bit, deep in thought.

A little bit further down the road she finally opened her mouth again.

"Are... you my father?" The question was quiet. Hesitant. I had to strain my ears to hear it.

I almost tripped and dropped all of the bags. "I- I'm sorry, I think I misheard you?"

Fate asked the question again, louder and more confident. "Are you my father?"

I wanted to reject it out of hand. I wasn't. Pure and simple, I literally just was not in any way, shape, or form biologically related to her. Precia had intended her to be a perfect resurrection of her flesh and blood daughter, Alicia. There was no way she would have risked contaminating that with anything related to me. My role had been solely to be a proof of concept.

But Fate's expression held something for once. I knew what it was, recognized it from my first day in Aenia when I had stumbled into Hank's tavern.

Hope. A desperation for something, for someone, even when it was so, so unlikely.

Precia, you fucking monster… It's literally been a week since Fate was more or less born, and with memories of being your fucking daughter.

How could she be like this already? My fists clenched around the bag handles. Luckily, Fate didn't seem to notice.

"... What makes you say that?" I asked.

Fate shrugged. "I can't remember my father. And mother never talked about him."

That was it. A short answer, lacking in content, but to be honest I 100% believed that that was all that Fate knew. For whatever reason, Precia had either wiped Fate's father from her mind, or simply never bothered to inform even Alicia about her father back when she had still been alive.

I stopped walking. With a wave of my hand I blazed through a quick set of calculations, the quickest that I had ever done, and stored the bags in my right hand.

I turned around and locked gazes with her. Then I reached out and grabbed her empty hand.

"I'm not your original father. I won't pretend that I am. But I will do my absolute best to raise you to the best of my ability. Are you alright with that?"

Fate lowered her gaze, and for a minute I was absolutely sure that I had tanked it. Blown it. Destroyed whatever chance of any relationship that we would have had.

Then she looked back up and nodded, slowly. Once. Twice.

I smiled at her, and for the first time her facial expression changed fully. She smiled back, a small smile, tiny but undoubtedly there. I could see the beginnings of a light in her eyes.

As one, we turned and began to walk again, hand in hand.

Skimming through the chapters again, I can't find a physical description of Faust besides the black hair. How old does he appear to be, and what are his defining characteristics?

I also have to laugh at him scrambling around for a 'How to Parent' guide. To be fair, I'd be doing the same thing - trying to deal with a five year old would be like handing me an alien lifeform.

Edit: It's interesting that the other clones seemed to lack 'will' or 'drive'. What age groups have they tested this with? A five year old's brain is structurally quite different from an adult. MGLN is really a sci-fi universe, so I don't think the issue is the lack of a soul - I would look at the engram transferal process a bit more closely.

Last edited:
Skimming through the chapters again, I can't find a physical description of Faust besides the black hair. How old does he appear to be, and what are his defining characteristics?

I also have to laugh at him scrambling around for a 'How to Parent' guide. To be fair, I'd be doing the same thing - trying to deal with a five year old would be like handing me an alien lifeform.

Edit: It's interesting that the other clones seemed to lack 'will' or 'drive'. What age groups have they tested this with? A five year old's brain is structurally quite different from an adult. MGLN is really a sci-fi universe, so I don't think the issue is the lack of a soul - I would look at the engram transferal process a bit more closely.
To your edit, I've actually already given a couple of hints. Admittedly, pretty vague ones, but probably enough to actually put together by now? Depends on how well I articulated them lol.

As for your question about Faust's appearance... Well yeah, I only described how his hair is still black and how his eyes are now yellow. Beyond that... hmm, as a semi-SI he's definitely based off of me. Asian in appearance, on the shorter side at around mid five feet. Thanks to the whole cloning process he's in good shape and has been mostly able to maintain that in part thanks to how many calories magic takes. His skin is on the tanner side for sure. I hope that's a detailed enough description lol.

Edit: Oh yeah, as far as age goes he's college aged. That nebulous area where some people think you're still a high schooler, and others think you've graduated already.

Last edited:
Chapter 8
AN: Y'know, looking back at Chapter One... I said this'd be a wish fulfillment kinda thing, and I guess we'll probably get there at some point, but... jeez I kinda feel like I hate Faust lol. On an entirely different note, my college is a bit weird and will be starting up for fall soon (yes, you heard that right), so I'll probably need to slow down chapter production and release. I hope it's not that bad, but I do have a rather hard selection of classes... ah well we'll see.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It's been about half a year now since Fate got sent over to me. We managed to more or less make our new lives together work. I had needed to rush things a bit, but I found a relatively cheap apartment with two bedrooms. Fate and I spent most of the day outside so it wasn't very large, but it worked well enough for meals together as well as days when the weather just wasn't very good.

Best of all, the landlord hadn't asked many questions. That… probably wouldn't have been a good thing under other circumstances, but by this point in time I had gone through enough of my magic database to be able to lay defensive spells that would see us through most dangers that I'd expect. The walls were tougher than they should have been, the door locks were almost impossible to pick, and our windows were just as tough as the walls. It was basic, but if anybody with any real power tracked us to our apartment, Fate and I probably had bigger issues to worry about.

To cover the deposit, rent, and other general expenses that were starting to really rack up thanks to Fate and I living, for the most part, legally inside an actual urban city, I had to get a job. The problem with that was that I had no identification. This wasn't a really big deal out in the frontier. Faurus wasn't the frontier.

So what did I do? Well I went to the tried and true method of stacking up as many questionable jobs as I could. I avoided anything too shady to the best of my ability. No organized crime or drugs and all. But off the books construction? Courier work? If it was either general manual labor or required a hefty amount of magical power, I probably did it at one point or another.

It was hectic, and certainly not something that I wanted Fate to be exposed to. But I wasn't going to just leave her in our dinky apartment, magically reinforced or not. So I sent her to school. Kindergarten, to be exact.

Usually kids her age with a strong amount of magical energy could sign up for the TSAB, which basically acted as a boarding school. That would require documentation though, lots of it, and from what I remember Precia was going to be a dimensional criminal soon if she wasn't already.

Yeah, that wasn't really an option.

A nice, normal elementary school was still possible though. It was pretty easy to get Fate enrolled actually, even with our lack of documentation.

The school was pretty nice, contrary to my expectations. It was near our apartment, which wasn't exactly in the nicest part of town even if I managed to stay out of the slums. There was a low wall bordering the school grounds, coming up about four feet off the ground. It was more for the atmosphere than actual security, given its brick and cement makeup.

The building itself wasn't anything impressive, but it certainly could have been worse. It was a steel and glass building two stories tall, and it took up most of the walled out space. The rest of it was either open grass, or the various usual outdoor facilities. There was a large playground, a small basketball hoop, and even a couple of middle-sized trees spread out over the area. I had the impression of a nice suburban school that was only helped by the families of those that attended.

I stood outside the wall among a small crowd of people. Parents and other various caretakers, really. I stook out like a sore thumb, being the youngest there. Not by too much, thankfully, because this was an elementary school after all. But the next closest person to my age was probably a good five years older than me.

They were usually working adults coming back from work. A few of them had cars, but most of them seemed to be walking or taking a nearby bus. Some of them were grouped up and talking amongst each other, but many of us had just arrived and school would be out soon.

Right on cue, the bell finally rang, and after a couple of minutes the doors opened and a swarm of kids came pouring out. I hung by the wall, doing my best to keep myself out of the flow of children. Experience had taught me that Fate wouldn't be in the front.

I let out a sigh. Parents were walking away now, kids in tow, and the flood of kids became a river, and soon after that just a trickle. I pushed myself off of the wall and walked through the open gate. Fate was one of the kids walking out, leisurely strolling by herself.

It was a bold contrast to the other kids, who were at least walking in twos or threes. She would wave at them as she walked by, and they would wave back, but that was all. Perhaps a "Goodbye" or two.

Her head lifted up as she saw me, and she lifted her arm to give a solitary wave. I waved back, the edges of my mouth quirking up. We met halfway and I set a hand down to ruffle her hair.

"Hey there Fate, how was school today?" I crouched down.

"Good," she answered.

I nodded. "Cool, cool… Make any friends?"

"No," she said. It was matter of fact. She really didn't seem to care. I had no doubt that if she put in the effort and tried just the slightest bit, she'd be swarmed by friends. But for whatever reason Fate didn't see the need to try.

I'd seen it in action, during a visit. Fate would respond amicably to anyone that approached her, but she normally wrapped herself in such a mechanical, cold atmosphere that nobody really did. I doubted that they noticed it themselves. They were only five, after all.

"Ah…" I responded.

My hand was still on her head, and her eyes were closed. I still raised my head to the sky to hide my wince. Son of a bitch, it's been half a year…

I looked back down at Fate. Her face was as blank as ever, but she hadn't made any motion to shake my hand off. Moreso, I didn't hear any traces of sadness in her voice.

For the most part Fate still had some problems showing emotions, but if they ever showed, it was going to be in her voice. Either through the speed that she talked, the one that she used, any contrast from her usual calm monotone generally meant something.

Well she seemed happy enough, so it probably wasn't exactly urgent. She didn't seem lonely and seemed to be getting better at emoting. There was a surprisingly energetic and happy girl under all of that outside apathy.

That just made it all the more tragic though. It felt like I was failing in some way. Friends made life so much better. They could do so much, and as it stood Fate hadn't become interested in exploring those possibilities. I felt obligated as her guardian to try and get her to make some, but I just didn't know how.

Not for the first time I felt a stab of pain in my heart. It hurt to think about the friends and family that I'd left behind. I hadn't had the chance to make more either, with the constant travelling. Hank felt like family, sure, but he had a life and job too. Ones on a different world, no less.

My current lifestyle didn't leave much time for socialization either. I got up, took Fate to school, went to work a myriad of shady jobs, picked her up, and then taught her magic. Afterwards I'd watch over her for the rest of the day and generally try training myself a bit, but… I hadn't really met and talked with anyone besides Fate at any length.

"Faust," Fate called out. She had opened her eyes and caught me staring. "Are we going?"

A normal kid would have been impatient. A normal kid might even have prompted their guardian to get going, maybe pushing them, or walking off on their own. Fate was asking a genuine question. If I said so, she'd probably be perfectly happy to just stay like this for… a while, at least.

I mean, I appreciated it. She was really well-behaved, but at a certain point, it crossed a line into worrying. She never threw temper tantrums. She never asked for anything. I didn't think she actually desired anything, to be honest. Fate was happy with whatever I cooked, and whenever we ate out she would ask me what she should order.

To be completely honest, part of that was probably just her natural personality. She was a nice girl who probably didn't want to "bother me" or whatever. That doesn't mean that I couldn't be worried though. Yet another failure on my part. Either she genuinely felt like I'd be troubled if she asked, or I hadn't made it clear that it was an option.

In either case, that was just another way I had let her down.

"Yeah, let's go," I said. "Do you have a lot of homework?"

She shrugged, one hand in mine while the other had a firm grasp on the corresponding strap of her backpack. "No. We have a field trip next week so you need to sign a form. There's another form if you want to be a chaperone."

"Ah, wow, I remember doing those when I was your age," I laughed. "It's been forever, and wow, now I feel old."

Fate lifted a hand to pat me on the back, and I laughed even harder. "Thank you for the thought, Fate. I'm alright. It was just a joke."

"Where are you going, anyways?" I asked as we started walking again.

She tilted her head. "I'm going home with you, right?"

"Ah, no, no, no, my bad! I meant, where are you going on your field trip?"

Fate stopped and let go of my hand to shrug off her backpack and riffle through it. She pulled out some papers and handed me two of them while she scanned another.

I thumbed through them quickly. A permission slip and a basic application to be a chaperone. Contact info, address, and name… pretty bare bones stuff.

"Ah," Fate held up the paper as she read it aloud. "There are Ancient Belkan ruins nearby. Arch- Ark- People have already gone through them, so they're turning it into a sightseeing spot."

She looked up at me. "Faust? Are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah," I coughed into my fist. "I just… anyways, that's pretty interesting. Ancient Belkan stuff is usually pretty cool."

"And mother is researching it too, right?" Fate asked.

I took a moment before responding, to make absolutely sure that my face was as passive as I could make it. I didn't try to keep it a secret that I didn't agree with Precia on many things, among them her treatment of Fate. But Fate still loved her mother for whatever reason.

"... Yes, Ancient Belka is a part of what your mother is researching. I'm impressed that you remembered that Fate!"

Fate looked away and mumbled something.

"Hm? I couldn't hear you, could you say that a little louder?" I bent down to shorten the distance between us. In turn, Fate turned to face me again, although she still couldn't meet my eyes. There was a dash of red on her cheeks.

"Can you come on the trip? As a chaperone?" She whispered.

Ah. She knew about my deal with Precia. About how I needed to chase after any possible leads from Ancient Belka or Al-Hazard.

Hhmmmm… Well I didn't want to necessarily encourage the use of things like my deal with Precia as a tool. But I didn't really care too much either. Fate still loved her mother and wanted her research to advance. She also seemed to feel guilty about it, going by the red in her cheeks and the way she wouldn't meet my gaze.

I smiled. "Sure, I'd be happy to Fate!"

More importantly, this was the first time she had asked me for anything. In six months. What kind of bastard would I be to say no, even if I had the ability to?

Chapter 9
AN: Well, what to say... We're nearing canon in terms of what I'm going to write about. I'd ask readers to remember that Faust is, for all intents and purposes, the POV character. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he's an unreliable narrator the majority of the time, but for sure he gets stuff wrong, and pretty frequently at that.

As always, feedback, advice, or just general impressions are nice! Anyways, here it is: enjoy y'all.
Well, it was time. The day. We were about as prepared as I could get us. I had packed sandwich lunches for the both of us, and I made sure that Fate had a completely full water bottle packed away in her backpack.

The plan was simple. We would show up, and go on the field trip. I would take the time we were there to scout out the place and get a feel for if there might be anything deeper that the trained archaeologists may have missed. I wasn't hoping for anything. Rather, I was hoping to find nothing, just like I expected.

Either way we would come back home, and I'd return later tonight to double check and do a deeper search of the place.

Fate waited at the door while I put away all of the stuff that we had used to make the sandwiches. Even with my back turned to her, I could feel her gaze practically boring through my shoulders.

"Alrighty," I closed the fridge and straightened my posture. "I'm all done here. Are you ready to go, Fate?"

"Yes," she nodded. One hand was on one of her backpack's straps, and the other was holding a map of the tour site that the school had given out. It was crinkled already, despite having only been in Fate's possession for less than a week.

"So Fate," I said as we walked to the first floor of our apartment building. "What's the plan for today?"

I already knew it by heart from how many times it had come up over the past few days, but Fate still started talking without any hesitation.

"The facility was a factory for making Devices. It's still impossible for us to make Devices like that anymore, so we're just going to walk around the factory floor. The factory also had some living spaces and facilities as part of it, so we'll be shown some of those," Fate explained.

I nodded and stroked my chin. "Ohhh, I seeeee~. A Device factory, huh…"

"Faust, do you know how to make Devices?" Fate asked.

"Oh?" I tilted my head. "It's pretty hard to be a Device meister you know. Why would you think I'd know how to do that?"

"But you've been teaching me magic," she said. "Isn't making a Device part of that?"

I laughed. "Oh, wow! Sorry Fate, I'm not laughing at you, I promise!"

Her expression didn't change but she nodded.

"I just… Wow," I coughed into my free hand. "Ahem. Well, technically yes. Generally speaking Device meisters are more engineers than they are mages. And your mother only gave me the magical knowledge to be a mage, right?"

"Oh," Fate said. "Is that why we don't have Devices?"

"Eh," I wiggled my hand back and forth. "Devices are pretty expensive, and so are the materials to make one. Even if I wanted to go learn how to be a meister, that takes a lot of school."

"Really?" Fate asked.

I nodded. "Oh yeah! Devices are machines, so really it's like being an engineer. They're just a bit different, so you have to specialize a bit. You also usually need certification to officially go around and get employed as a Meister."

Fate hummed, eyes wandering as we walked through our waking up neighborhood. I was losing her interest, it seems.

"Are you interested in being a Meister when you grow up?" I asked Fate.

She turned to me and scrunched her face up in thought. I focused on steering her as we walked, making sure that she didn't run into any walls or obstacles like oncoming traffic while she thought.

"Would that be helpful to mother?" She eventually asked. The stop light we were waiting at turned green.

Eugh. Precia. I looked around, both to make sure that the street was safe before we crossed, and to hide any traces of disgust on my face. "Well, in all honesty, probably not. She probably already knows how to herself."

"Then I'll do something else," Fate answered.

"Well that's not good at all!" I protested. "This is your future we're talking about Fate! You shouldn't base it off of just what would be helpful to your mother!"

Fate shook her head. "Mother is really stressed and busy. That's why she sent me to live with you. If I can help mother…"

I sighed. What am I supposed to say to that without sounding like a bastard? Don't try to help others? Your mother is actually a mind fucking bitch?

"You really are a little too nice..." I told her. "You can be a little more selfish, you know."

Fate didn't say anything. She just looked away and kept on walking. I sighed and patted her on the head. No reaction. Hmm, did I still upset her after all? I supposed that in a way, I had just been telling her to ignore her mother...

We were saved from an awkward rest of the trip by our arrival at the school. There was a bus parked in front, just like what I was used to. It was painted yellow, had those rectangular bus windows… in many respects, the only difference from a school bus on Earth was that its design was less smooth, more angular. Not boxy, just… sharp.

Space had some weird aesthetics. I didn't really know what I'd even call it, but I'd also never been that into art so maybe there was a word for it.

A crowd of kids stood by the bus, chattering away at each other. The adults spread out throughout the area. Fate and I circled the group and approached a middle aged woman with a clipboard standing by the school's gate.

"Hello Ms. Myre," I said.

Fate's teacher looked up from the clipboard and nodded. "Yes, hello Mr. Testarossa."

Ah, right. I hadn't been given a last name by Precia, thankfully, so I didn't have to use Testarossa… and for all that I cared for Fate, that name had a bit too much baggage for me to think about. I also didn't care to think of a new one to replace it. I had had a family name, and that was taken from me. To take on a new one would be to fully leave everything behind.

I wasn't going to cling on to my past, but I also wasn't going to simply forget it.

I coughed. "It's just Faust, actually. I have no last name, Testarossa is Fate's mother's last name."

"A- Ah, I see. I'm so sorry about that, I-"

"No, you're all good. It's not something we really advertise, so there's no way you could have known," I laughed and waved off Ms. Myre's sputtering.

Beside me, Fate looked away and pouted. Well, her eyebrows drew together, and for Fate that was basically the same thing. We had talked about this before. More than once. She wasn't exactly happy with my stubbornness, and always got like this when the topic was brought up.

I could already see some of the adults near us give us some looks. A mixed reception, but generally more along the lines of pity than anything negative like distaste. A misunderstanding was brewing, I could feel it.

Fate's mother didn't want her. True.

I wanted nothing to do with Precia. True.

I was raising Fate on my own. Until such a time that Precia decided that we were valuable enough to give access to her resources, this was also true.

Ah, fuck. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

Fate shifted next to me, shuffling a little closer. Her eyes were going from person to person. She could definitely feel it as well.

What could I do? Clear up the misunderstandings? No, what was done was done, and it's not like they were completely wrong.

"Anyways, we've got all of the correct forms done, right?" I asked Ms. Myre.

There was a delay before she nodded and started flicking through the sheets on her clipboard. "Ah, yes, let me just… Alright, everything seems in order. I'm rather impressed that you managed to take time off your job to come here."

Changing the topic. It wouldn't really help with the issue at hand, but if people didn't think about it too much, they may just forget about it. A weak hope, yes, but the best one that we had.

Fate shifted again next to me as Ms. Myre talked about my job and the looks directed our way intensified.

… Ah, fuck it. When in doubt, own it.

"Of course! Fate asked me to come along, and I can't just say no to her!" I laughed and pulled Fate in for a one-armed hug. "Besides, I do contract work as a mage, so I can choose my own hours." Arcane symbols blazed into existence as a magic circle formed in front of me. I snapped and the equations holding up the spell fell apart, shattering the magic circle.

Almost everyone was looking at us now, but the pity was more or less gone. This was what I had been banking on. People of magical power on the levels that I held were rare, and usually went through intensive training to get to my level. The kinds of jobs they could get for their magical ability generally paid pretty well.

Basically I had turned their impression from struggling single father, to pretty successful single father. Was the first more accurate? Probably. Did I care? Nope.

I snuck a look down at Fate to see how she was doing. Her face was tinted red and her eyes were squeezed shut.

Ah, that had probably been really embarrassing for her. I felt bad about it. There were plenty of memories I had from when my own parents had done something similar. Fate was even shier than I had been at her age.

I steered her over to the wall and released her from the hug.

"You alright there Fate? Sorry about… all of that," I gestured towards the crowd of people, some of whom were still staring at us.

She shook her head. "It's alright…"

I raised an eyebrow but didn't say any more.

We just stood there for a couple of minutes. I briefly entertained telling Fate to go talk to some of her classmates, but… well, if she didn't want to, she didn't want to. And frankly, after the attention that we had drummed up, I didn't blame her.

Making friends in school was hard enough, let alone in the middle of the year right before a field trip. Right after one of your parents came in and made everyone think you had a complicated home life? Especially if it was more or less true?

Fuck. No. I felt a shiver crawl up my spine just thinking about it.

We didn't have to wait too long before Ms. Myre called for everyone to board the bus.

It wasn't exactly spacious, but for a bus it wasn't that bad. Two aisles of seats, two people per seat. Fate and I had enough room to comfortably sit together, although that may have been thanks to her small size as opposed to the bus actually being that big. Well, it was an elementary school after all. These things were to be expected. It wasn't like actual high school buses were any better.

For a bus of elementary school kids on a relatively long bus ride, it wasn't really that bad. The trip took just about an hour and a half. In that time no spitballs were thrown, no fights started… The most that happened was the couple of times Ms. Myre needed to remind the class not to stand in their seats, or to please quiet down a little bit for the bus driver. Us chaperones never needed to step in.

Fate spent the bus ride looking out the window, just taking in the scenery.

It wasn't much, to be honest. Some of the city as we were driving out, some grasslands, and we entered a forested area in the second half of the trip. Nice to look at, sure, but nothing breathtaking.

She had a small smile the entire time though, and she didn't look away for a second. It didn't exactly take a genius to figure out why. Even with the inherited memories from Alicia, Fate hadn't actually experienced seeing new sights like this. She didn't know that she hadn't experienced it, to be fair, but it seemed that it was still a novel experience for her.

When the bus finally came to a stop, she tore herself away from the window and stood up as soon as it was safe to do so. We joined the stream of kids leaving the bus and took in the facility.

It was covered in vines, leaves, and other assorted foliage. A mountain of the stuff actually. It was easy to imagine it simply being mistaken as yet another mass of super-dense greenery in the Faurus countryside. The archaeologists and staff that had set up base since had cleared away enough of it to see the building proper though. Hints of still-gleaming metal, smooth lines engraved in it tracing the outside.

There were some tents set up nearby, clearly intended for the staff to use. It wasn't like they could make use of the facility proper, after all.

"Hmm…" Ms. Myre looked around. "That's weird… I don't see any of the staff here right now."

She was right. The tents were all still normal-looking. The foldable tables were set up, there was a cooler or two placed down, and datapads were strewn across some of the tables. But no people.

Ms. Myre pulled out her phone and began to punch a number in. "I'll just call th-"

The factory exploded. Her phone began to drop out of her hand.

"Multiple Defenser!" I thrust my hands out, snapping through a string of equations. Magical circles big enough to cover the entire group began to form, the circles drawing themselves almost instantaneously.

It wasn't fast enough. One. Two. Three. Four. Fi-

The shockwave hit the forming fifth circle and shattered it. Four shields left.

The tents were gone. Flattened, blown away, or burning, it didn't matter. They weren't standing anymore. Three shields left.

The heat was pretty intense. I had been told that in explosions, the shockwave and shrapnel was the worst part. The heat was minimal. Fuck. Two shields left.

Trees and other debris torn up from the blast slammed into my shields, causing me to grunt as the strain intensified. One shield left.

Then it was over. It had seemed to last an eternity while holding the shields up, but in reality it had only taken an instant. I let the last shield drop and gasped in a breath of air I hadn't known I'd needed.

And when did I get on my knees…? Fate rushed over to me, helping me straighten up.

It started slowly. The crackling of the flames and the screaming of the children was all that I could hear at first, but it was impossible to miss. Slow. Steady. Faster now, and louder, too. Clapping.

"Oh my, that was absolutely wonderful," a voice rang out from the burning facility. "I might even forgive you for being so late."

I clenched my fists and struggled to my feet, even as my mind worked to throw a series of defensive spells over Fate and I.

"Well, I suppose I'll wait and see what you have to say for yourself Faust. It's been far too long after all," Jail Scaglietti stepped out into the light.

That was surprising, I was not expecting Jail. I was thinking that this would be where he would get a device. Nice curve ball.

Last edited:
Chapter 10
AN: I feel like I'm really bad at ending chapters. That being said, practice makes perfect, so let's hope that I get better at it lol. This chapter will mark the end of arc 2 (or 1 if you considered the first bit more of a prologue).
"Well?" Scaglietti asked. "I'm waiting..."

"Really?" I asked back. "I'm late? I didn't even know we had an appointment."

This was, in succinct terms, really fucking bad. Scaglietti was in front of me, I had a class of kindergarten kids and some of their parents to try and take care of, and all we had was a school bus.

"Oh, don't be ridiculous," Scaglietti said. "Don't pretend like you didn't know what you were doing. Really, dropping off the radar for a year or so is all well and good, but did you think we wouldn't notice when you started dropping that girl off at school? You didn't even use an illusion, and you've been there for half a year now."

Ah… So that was it. Illusion magic wasn't something I could keep up on Fate while I worked, so that was a bit of a moot point. And I hadn't wanted to use it on myself because I simply wasn't that good at it yet. I could hold a somewhat consistent disguise, and at this point I had built up a set of them to draw from, but they weren't perfect. Someone that was familiar with my person would probably be able to tell the difference from one day to the next.

I wouldn't bet on it, but it would be better to be safe than sorry. Especially if I was going to be dropping Fate off and picking her up every school day.

What a wonderfully ironic outcome.

My jaw clenched and my teeth were gritting against each other. I had gotten relaxed. Sloppy. Lazy. And Scaglietti had been looking for me this entire time. He had never given up at all. I was in Faurus, lack of disguise be damned! How wide was his net to still catch me here?

"Oh, don't be like that," Scaglietti shook his head. "After all, you were doing so wondrously before that. All of those ruins and labs that you found… marvelous. Still a little lacking in long-term planning, but really only those immensely interested in you like I am would have been able to notice."

He smiled widely. Almost too wide, but not quite to the point where I'd call it a slasher grin. My gut roiled anyway. It was a sickening smile. Like a man who had forgotten how to do so at all, and merely pulled the corners of his mouth as high up and far apart as he could.

"Fate," I whispered. "Get everyone else into the bus and leave."

I didn't risk looking down at her reaction, but for an agonizingly long moment she stayed beneath me, supporting me. I stood up straight and began to cycle mana through my body. A facsimile of the supporting spells that the Belkan systems were known for. I wish that I could have done better, but it was hard working from nothing, and Precia only ever learned the Midchildan system of magic, or at least that was all that she had passed down to me. It would have to be enough.

Fate stood still for another moment before dashing off.

"Hmmm…" Scaglietti glanced over at Fate, losing his disturbing smile. Rather, all expressions vanished from his face, not a trace of emotion to be seen. It fit him much more than when he was smiling. And it still sickened me to the bone.

"It seems you've picked up another specimen. A failure, though… I do wonder which lab made her. It wasn't any of the ones that you've hit earlier…" He noted clinically. "This just makes me more interested in you," Scaglietti turned back to me. " You're unique. Fully formed from the beginning, and going by the time that's passed since our first encounter, you're even stable. My, my…"

My face warped. I could feel the mana cycling in me burst for lack of a better word, turning from a calm stream to a frothing, surging thing not unlike a whitewater river. "Fate," I enunciated. "Is a person, thank you very much. Just like me, and in my opinion more so than you." Each word was short, clipped, and distinct from the rest in the sentence.

"She gets sad, she gets happy, she gets embarrassed, and she is growing up to be a kind, caring girl. You, in comparison, are an amoral, sociopathic madman who is far too enamored with the sound of his own voice for his own good!" I continued.

Scaglietti laughed. He laughed.

With a look of genuine euphoria on his face he spread his arms wide. "Yes, yes, that's it! That's the fire, the heart that differentiates products like you and her! And you're not wrong, I apologize. Truthfully, now that I look closer, I do see that she's starting to develop one. Much faster than usual, by all accounts. Fascinating…"

He snapped his fingers and I heard a variety of screams from behind me. I spun around to see the bus, fully loaded with Fate being the only person outside. There was a red magic circle spinning underneath it, from which numerous red thread-like constructs had sprung. They had wrapped around the bus, criss-crossing on top of it to ensure that it was fully immobile.

"Scaglietti!" My heels dug into the ground as I spun, and I pushed off to leap in his direction. "You son of a-!"

A fist came out of nowhere and socked me from the side, sending me flying into one of the trees surrounding the area. I had to blink to clear the white from my vision.

A familiar figure was standing by Scaglietti. Tre. She had gotten a bit taller, and she had lost the traveller's cloak, but it was definitely her.

"Well now, we haven't much time to waste," Scaglietti clapped his hands. "Are you done already, Tre?"

She nodded, although she stayed in a combat stance facing me. "The research has all been extracted. There was one specimen that they had recently obtained, apparently a Device of some sort."

Scaglietti raised an eyebrow. "A speci-"

"Photon Lancer!"

Whatever he was going to say was lost as Tre darted in front of him, an energy blade forming in her hands. Her arms blurred to sweep away two of the four yellow blasts of mana, but the other two smashed into her.

Scaglietti himself remained unscathed, and was even smiling again. "Wonderful! Wonderful! Not just the power, but the initiative! And in only six months!"

Fate sprinted over to me, a yellow glow pervading around her form as she helped me up.

"Photon Lancer? I don't remember teaching you that spell," I said to her.

She looked away. "... it was supposed to be a surprise."

I laughed. "Well, consider me surprised! Now, Fate… Scaglietti is maintaining the spell keeping the bus here. I don't know how complicated it is to use, but for the most part we can consider him the weak link here. I'm going to go fight Tre, and I need you to cover me. Whenever you see an opening, fire at Scaglietti. Do you think you can do that?"

Fate straightened her back and nodded. Already, mana was condensing around her to form more spheres of light.

Tre was recovering now, standing up and brushing off the damage that she had taken. It wasn't exactly a clean hit, but we were on a more even playing field.

My mana was still surging, and as I sunk deeper into the rage and hatred I felt towards Scaglietti, I could feel it beginning to cycle through my body almost unbidden. A self-sustaining loop that boosted my physical abilities. I would need it, if I were to keep Tre occupied in close combat, which she specialized in and I notably did not.

With a roar I surged forward, a flight spell taking me barely off the ground as I barrelled into Tre and then took us both into the sky.

She recovered quickly, and from there it was chaos.

Her energy blade had dispersed, and I kept up a flurry of blows fast enough that she couldn't form it again. Tre seemed to have caught on to this pretty quickly though, and didn't even try. Instead, she just fought back. Hard.

Whatever blows that I gave, she gave back twice those.

Simply put, she was better at this than I was. Faster, stronger, more durable, and more skilled.

I had three advantages. First was Scaglietti. Or rather, Tre trying to get back to Scaglietti. Fate was shooting the occasional potshot at Scaglietti, and because of that Tre was focused on breaking past me to stop Fate. It wasn't like she stopped fighting back, but if she could try and break away instead of hit me one more time, she did.

Scaglietti himself also proved that he wasn't great at combat. From what little I managed to see, whenever Fate would lob some Photon Lancers in his direction, he would struggle to move out of the way in time. Either he couldn't use a defensive spell while tying down the bus, or he didn't think any such spell would successfully block Fate's shots.

Second was Fate. Tre was really good at directing our fight, and more than once had gotten really close to Fate. But Fate had learned to fly, and she was really good at it. She darted around the field, avoiding us and covering the area around us in Photon Lancers. They were quite well aimed too. Tre and I, by virtue of trying to beat each other's face in with our fists, were really close to each other, so Fate didn't risk actually trying to hit Tre. Instead, she focused on limiting Tre's movement by breaking any possible paths of escape with her covering fire.

But Tre was still good. Better than both of us, with more experience to boot. Even with all of these advantages limiting her movement and possible actions, she was still more or less hot on Fate's heels. This didn't give Fate much time to go after the good Doctor, which would finish the fight.

It was a drawn out battle of attrition to see which would happen first: Tre reaching Fate and taking her out, or Fate hitting Scaglietti and taking him out.

This brought me to our third advantage: I was simply more versatile than Tre. Whereas she was limited to, more or less, the energy blade, flight, and hitting me really hard, I could use magic to cheat my ass off. Binding spells to slow her down, debuffing spells to weaken her, support spells to keep healing myself and even strengthen my own attributes… Everything and the kitchen sink I threw at her.

I was also thoroughly abusing the spell that had only been a prototype during our first encounter. It created a shroud of my mana that effectively worked as a reflexive counter. Whenever I was hit by a physical attack, it would detect the kinetic energy released and then convert some of itself into a similar amount of kinetic energy that would be released at my discretion, usually in the form of a boost to my own returning blows.

Normally a more skilled mage would simply measure their own mana out and convert a calculated amount into a boost for their strikes so that they could actually micromanage everything that they did to ensure that their mana was being used optimally. I only had so much brain space and was too poor to buy a Device. With this, I could basically turn on an autopilot for managing my buffs and focus solely on all of the other assorted spells that I was casting.

For my first original spell was it actually all that good? No, in fact, I'd probably stop using it entirely once I got better at fighting and got a Device. But it was what I needed right now, and was probably one of the only reasons why I was doing any damage to Tre at all.

"This is useless, I hope you realize," Tre managed to calmly state while hitting me with a body blow.

I wheezed as my left hand held a magic circle, creating a magic circle around her arm and keeping it there even as she tugged it back. "I don't, actually," I gasped. The shrouding spell dimmed, the energy being sent to my right arm, which I used to land a rough haymaker on Tre.

She yanked her arm back harder, easily breaking the spell. "Your style of fighting is using up far too much mana. In a fight of attrition, I will win."

Around us, the constant rain of Photon Lancers abated for a quick second, in which I heard a yelp from the good doctor. I managed to raise the energy to raise an eyebrow and smirk as Tre lunged to the side, only to immediately brake as the hail of magical bullets started again.

I didn't bother forming words to push my point. I didn't have the spare air in my lungs. Instead my left and right hands both gestured, twin magic circles forming in front of them.

A purple glow settled around Tre, visibly sinking her in the air before she caught herself with some minor exertion. A similar ring of purple light formed around her body, pinching her arms to her side. She broke it nearly instantly, of course, but her arms were still far too close to her torso to stop me from shooting up and kicking her in the head.

As the momentum of the kick carried her away from me, she was covered in a swarm of yellow spheres that exploded on impact. I rushed in, adrenaline pumping through my veins even as Fate's covering fire stopped.

There was a glorious instant where I dared to let myself hope that perhaps we could finally end this slog of a fight before another cry rang out. Sharper, shorter, and more abrupt.

"Doctor!" Tre burst out of the cloud of smoke just as I was about to reach her. The glowing purple wings anchored to her body grew, and she blurred away from me and through the notably clear sky towards where the doctor had been.

Without even stopping, she scooped down to pick someone up - Scaglietti, I realized - and then she shot off into the forest.

I thought about chasing them. Scaglietti was down and would be slowing Tre. With the right combination of spells in place, I could probably boost my movement speed to reach them. The problem would be finishing Tre off...

"Faust," Fate's voice broke me away from that train of thought. She had flown up to join me from… wherever she had been before.

She was breathing a bit heavily, but there weren't any physical marks on her… It didn't look like she had been hit at all.

"Oh, phew," I reached down to ruffle her hair. "You aren't hurt at all."

She shook her head. "No, I'm fine. You…"

I looked down at myself. "Ah," I said. There were splotches of red all over my front, and likely the same for my back. My clothes were torn and practically shredded. I'd need to ditch this set entirely.

I took a deep breath and winced at the pain. Probably bruised, maybe even broken ribs. A hand went up to wipe at my face and came away red. My nose was bleeding too.

All in all, I was probably a sight to behold.

"Yeah, don't worry about it," I laughed. "Physical Heal." I snapped and let out a sigh of relief as the basic healing spell began to work. It wouldn't do anything for my ribs, but I didn't think that my nose was bleeding anymore, and overall a large portion of the aches and pains that I had been feeling began to fade.

"I'll be right as rain after a bit of sleep," I told Fate.

She nodded and then looked down. I traced her gaze toward the school bus. The screaming had stopped, and the spell that was binding them had faded. But it didn't look like they were going to be going anywhere yet.

"I'm… sorry about your field trip," I said.

Fate nodded again. "It's not your fault." The intonation was softer than normal, and a little slower.

I began to pat her head. "Hey, I know that this didn't quite work out, but I'm sure you'll be able to go on lots of field trips in the future."

"Mn…" She responded. "Will I… be able to go back to this school?"

I winced. That was the crux of the matter, wasn't it? They had seen all of that, heard it too, even if I wasn't sure of how much they had heard. More to the point, if we stayed, Scaglietti would know where we were.

"Probably… not," I admitted. It was like a stone dropping in my gut. All that I had really wanted for the past six months was to give Fate a normal life. Boy howdy had I fucking screwed up on that.

"Don't worry though!" I waved my hands. "We'll have to move worlds, but I can enroll you in a new school there! We'll be more careful this time, and-"

"I don't know if I want to go to a new school," Fate said.

… Eh?

"I need to be stronger. To help you, and to help mother," she continued. "Can we focus on my training?"

"I, uh… I mean, we can, but Fate… what you learn in school is important, and-"

"But you can teach me that, right?" She asked.

Could I? Sure, I more or less knew all of the material besides languages, which everyone cheated at with magic, and history, which varied from world to world and didn't have a terribly unified curriculum, but…

"Fate, you wouldn't be able to meet and talk with any kids your own age," I said. "Friends are really important… Trust me. The last thing that I want you to do is miss out on an opportunity to make them."

She met my gaze and smiled. For the first time, I found myself not liking her smile. It was a sad smile. When she spoke, I desperately wanted her to stop, to not talk, anything besides finish her sentence. "Isn't that what you've been doing because of me?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I lied. I lied my ass off. "I made friends with the people that I work with. There's-"

Fate cut me off with a hug. I froze.

"Let's go home and pack? Please?" She asked.

Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

"... Sure thing, Fate."

Back