Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Hermione has a spider-related animagus mishap and proceeds to unknowingly cause chaos during her adventures in Middle Earth. HP-Earth isn't immune either.
Ungoliant Reborn 1.1:

"So, what do I do now?" I sat atop a fallen behemoth of a tree, tapping at my hip as I mused in front of the hourglass. Talking to myself wasn't something I normally did, but sometimes it was simply unavoidable. Vocal cords fell under the "use 'em or lose 'em" category in my opinion. Besides, a decision of such magnitude deserved a verbal marker.

The sun was falling, but it didn't have to. A few twists of the hourglass and it would be noon again. I would be free of all responsibilities for a few more hours, free to travel where I wished. 'Such a small device, but so addictive.' The power of a Time Turner... no one who hadn't used one could fully understand what it felt like to live outside of time. The temptation to continue using it, to continue experiencing the freedom of it, was so strong it seemed almost an addiction.

Strictly speaking, there was no reason to give up the time turner this moment. No one knew I had it. Thanks to a terribly risky trick, McGonagall thought I'd already turned the device into the Ministry. But that didn't mean there weren't dangers, the results of the paradox I'd created to steal back the hourglass not least among them. I hadn't even expected the trick to work. After all, causing anything more than a slight paradox in wind currents was supposed to be far beyond the capabilities of an inch-high time turner. Perhaps the reason it was presumed impossible was because no had survived to tell the tale.

Causing a paradox such as I had created had left a rift in the very fabric of the world. High atop the astronomy tower it lay unseen and unheard, but it was very much there. A little push was all it took to press through to the other side. It was another world beyond the rift, so far as I could figure. One far less developed than the one of my birth. Over past few weeks I'd explored thirty miles in every direction from the rift and found only animals, fields and forest, not a hint of human civilization to be found. But I knew I was lucky. Instead of a tiny tear in the fabric of reality it could have been a maelstrom, sucking the entirety of Hogwarts and all its inhabitants not into a world of plants and sunshine, but a hell of darkness and fire. Yes, the dangers of continuing to use the time turner were many and fearsome. It was only luck that I'd found out about the Marauder's Map and destroyed it before Harry could blunder his way into a paradox.

Not only was the hourglass dangerous, strictly speaking I had no legitimate reason to keep it any longer. I'd only been given it (and truly I could not understand why they would give such a dangerous object to a child, but wizards were a rather irrational lot) in order to take extra classes, classes I no longer had. I'd dropped Muggle Studies and Divination early on after realizing how insufferably boring they were. Naturally McGonagall had asked for the time turner back, and while reluctant I would have done so if not for my favorite cousin fallen deadly ill.

Giving magical medical assistance to anyone outside a witch's immediate family was strictly forbidden under the Statute of Secrecy, so naturally I couldn't ask a mediwitch or wizard for assistance, and even as smart as I was I knew I couldn't learn how to heal her in the few days she had left. And so I'd risked a deadly paradox to steal back the hourglass from McGonagall's owl. Sixty days compressed into three later, I'd managed to illegally heal my cousin Sophie with none the wiser.

All my immediate goals met, I still struggled with giving up the device. It was dangerous, but wondrous as well. And who could know when I might need it again, or indeed what might happen if I didn't keep progressing in my studies. Harry needed me, the world needed me, and if I only had twenty four hours a day to study then I'd never acquire the knowledge I needed in time. Perhaps it was paranoia or a rationalization to keep hold of such a powerful object, but I didn't think so. Living the same day over and over let me see things that others couldn't. And that was that the wizarding world was unstable. Sooner rather than later it was all going to go downhill fast and likely end with thousands of casualties, Muggles and Magicals alike. Really it would be rather irresponsible to stop using the time turner.

I gave the hourglass three turns and leaned back against the fallen tree as the world spun backwards. I smiled as the noonday sun kissed my cheeks. "What a beautiful day. Again."

Last edited:
What a rotten day, a rotten year. At least what little of it I'd actually spent at Hogwarts rather than exploring Earth and the world beyond the rift. Not that previous years at Hogwarts had been all rainbows and sunshine. Having Voldemort as a DADA teacher and then a giant snake on the prowl had been bad, but at least I hadn't been forced to maim a teacher. Honestly, what had Dumbledore been THINKING. Hiring a werewolf was one thing, but hiring one without the common sense to take his wolfsbane potion on the night of a full moon? He could have turned a dozen children into werewolves before he was stopped if the change had taken him in the castle – or killed them, for that matter.

God, he was wailing now. A dark creature, certainly, but still vaguely dog-like. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him as he bewailed his lost leg – or arm, I supposed, once he transformed back. It really was his own fault though. Ron hadn't been able to run thanks to twisted ankle and Harry was as always completely unwilling to flee from danger, so it had fallen to me to protect them. Unfortunately, stunning curses had melted off Lupin's werewolf form like they were nothing, and I lacked Harry's raw magical power to be able to force out a strong enough stunner to break through his resistance. Thus I was left with plan C, a curse that I had learned only recently in my time turner-aided extracurricular studies. The cutting curse had performed even better than I'd hoped, slicing through the werewolf's leg like butter. Was it wrong that I was feeling relieved that there was no way I'd be convicted for it? Given the Ministry's current stance on werewolves they probably wouldn't even give me a slap on the wrist for maiming him under the circumstances.

Honestly, what a mess this all was. First poor Buckbeak was executed, causing Harry to run off to the woods to grieve. Obviously with a horde of dementors roaming around as well as Sirius Black hunting the boy, leaving him alone in the Dark Forest was out of the question. Rushing after him had gone poorly from the start. A spider (and honestly not a scary spider, it was really almost cute) dropping in front of Ron's face was all it took to send him into a backwards somersault that ended with a twisted ankle.

It hadn't gotten better from there. A vicious black dog had come out of nowhere and transformed into the murderous Sirius Black. Whatever else the man was, he was a master duelist. In barely an instant he'd snatched Ron's wand and used it to disarm Harry and myself. From there he'd proved that the newspaper's appellation of "The Mad" was well deserved. Inexplicably he'd started rambling about the past while torturing Ron's poor rat Scabbers.

Lupin arrived not much later. Apparently he and Black were in cahoots, old friends from school and the war, it seemed. I hadn't thought Lupin had it in him. He'd seemed so nice at first but apparently he wasn't such a good werewolf after all. I wanted to believe that somehow all of this was a misunderstanding, that Harry's godfather Sirius Black and Professor Lupin had some excuse for their actions and that Lupin's failure to take wolfsbane was an innocent mistake... but this wasn't a fairy tale. Immediately they'd started talking sinisterly of how they'd kill him (Harry) and take revenge for the years spent in Azkaban. Strangely they'd decided Harry needed to know why they were killing him first. The delay as they debated explaining first or killing him immediately lasted just long enough for Lupin to be caught in a ray of moonlight. During the transformation Black had foolishly tried to restrain Lupin but was struck unconscious when Lupin shed the last of his humanity.

Well, at least it was all over now. I'd recovered my wand during Lupin's transformation and been the one to save the day for once, rather than Harry. It felt good, provided I didn't think about the severed limb. 'What now, what now.' So long as Lupin didn't go after us with only three legs, all we had to do was send up some sparks and wait for the proper authorities to arrive. Just for good measure I sent my strongest stunner at the still unconscious Black before retraining my sights at Lupin, wand at the ready.

"Ron," I said, "grab your wand and send up some sparks." I would have asked Harry, but I didn't want to talk him down from killing Sirius. Little Harry had shown some disturbing homicidal impulses this year.

It took a few fumbles as Ron struggled to regain his calm but ultimately it was a simple spell and he soon shot off a 100 foot high tower of sparks. With any luck at all, someone from the castle or one of the aurors "managing" the dementors had noticed it and would arrive quickly. "What do we do now?" he asked.

I was tempted to let Harry or Ron handle it from here. Boys could get a bit sullen if they didn't get to play Captain every once in awhile, and from here on out things should be fairly simple. On the other hand Ron was only holding it together out of some impulse to impress me if I was reading him right, and Harry was looking rather peaky. 'And that's why.' Frost creeping down the trees, darkness creeping through an already dark sky, an oily aura of fear and despair pressing down more heavily with every second... dementors. A whole bloody horde of them coming to investigate my apparently very stupid sparks idea.

"Scheisse." Ah, my German was showing. Well, it wasn't like the boys would ever figure out that I'd used the time turner to spend three weeks in Germany last Thursday. "We need to run. Now."

"What?" "Why?" they asked.

"Dementors. Now come on!" Harry and I held Ron between us to steady his ankle as we stumbled through the growing darkness. I slowed as my knees went weak and frost trimmed patterns along the hem of my robes. We came to a stop when I looked behind us and was struck dead-still by what I saw. I'd saved Sirius Black from Harry's vengeance, but it seemed I'd sentenced him to a far worse fate in doing so. With ominous finality a dementor closed its terrible maw over the glowing orb that was Black's soul.

Lupin succumbed not long after, a dozen dementors sapping away his strength before taking his soul as well. Werewolves weren't typically susceptible for dementors, but these were hardly typical circumstances. My attack had weakened him too much to run away, and separated so long from the prisoners of Azkaban that served as their food source the dementors had grown ravenous beyond measure. Whatever docility had been bred into them in Azkaban had disappeared entirely.

'They see us.' It was difficult to rustle up anything more than despair over that fact. I'd moved beyond fear into a terrible stillness. As the dark-cloaked figures swarmed towards us the color leached out of world and mind. Not just light but seemingly the very memory of light was extinguished as they approached, until it felt as if darkness and despair was all there had ever been.

Something in me rebelled. A twisting in my gut that refused to lie down and let my soul be taken. Even faced with these suffocating reapers there was part of me that responded to the darkness not with despair, but with hunger. Yes, I could feel it now. There was still light to be found if I peered closer. Gleaming orbs of light and blue fire just waiting for me to reach out and –

"Expecto PATRONUM!"

I recoiled as a gleaming stag galloped forth from Harry's wand. Waves of light birthed from pure joy exploded forth from the stag, glorious and painful at the same time. My skin was burned red by the time the waves ceased, but I felt alive again and the dementors had retreated, at least for the moment. All in all a little sunburn was a more than fair price. It was a bit strange that neither Harry nor Ron were burnt though. Perhaps they'd had the common sense to turn away.

"We're alive," said Ron after a moment.

I found my own tongue then as well. "Well done, Harry! But how did you do it? I tried that spell myself and couldn't even get a glimmer."

He scratched his head. "I just thought of my happiest memory. Seeing the man who betrayed my parents die."

'Oh. Well that's a little dark. Definitely got the job done though.'

Ron tugged at our arms. "Don't you think we should get back to the castle? You know, before they come back?"

There was no need for words after that. We ran.

Last edited:
At last, the school year was over. It was a pity really. Not that it was over, but that I was so glad it was. I used to love school, after a fashion, but I'd come to the realization that loving to learn and loving school were entirely different things. Sitting through class after class of dumbed-down material that I already knew forwards and backwards was nearly enough to make me pull my hair out. If not for the occasional time turner-induced jaunt between classes to blow off steam I might never have made it through the year.
'Year,' of course, I used only in the colloquial sense. During the course of two semesters I'd lived through at least fourteen months, perhaps more. My personal inclinations would have led to me spending even more time outside Hogwarts's boring confines but I'd chosen to moderate my use of the time turner and stay outside the rift following the dementor attack. The auror investigation and the attempts to resolve the ministry of all wrongdoing in loosing a pack of dementors on children had made it impossible to use the hourglass incautiously. But there was other reasons to limit its use, even after the aurors had departed and the teachers stopped eying the three of us with suspicion.
Circumstantially, at least, my extra-curricular activities had not gone unnoticed. My increased spellcasting abilities were easily disguised, but my age rather less so. Traveling backwards in time didn't make me any younger, and as a result I was starting to look suspiciously old for fourteen. The boys didn't mind. Ron's response to me looking like (and secretly being) closer to sixteen was "Damn girl, when did you get so hot?" He didn't have the guts to say it out loud, but I could tell he was thinking it.
Harry's more measured appreciation was actually far more flattering. He was even younger than Ron (and I'd had six months on Ron even before I started playing with time) but Harry struck me as being more mature, less flighty. He was steadfast against danger, had saved my life more than once with Ron only reluctantly at his side, and was surprisingly powerful for his age, though untrained. There was darkness in him too, but at times that seemed more alluring than worrying. Probably a feeling that I should squash. Mom had fallen for a bad boy too, but not all bad boys grew up to be dentists.
The girls had a different opinion of my fairly sudden maturation. Scoring better than them on every test was one thing, but looking better than them on top of that was just too much for them. Teasing had begun to turn childish pranks and even some of the fourth year girls had gotten in on it, wary of the way their boyfriends had started to look at me. Reluctantly I had to admit that my bust's stubbornly slow development was probably for the best. I had enough eyes on me already.
Hopefully everything would blow over during the course of the summer. Their memories of my younger self would fade, and it was expected that people grow up over the summer. As long as I didn't use the hourglass over the break it probably wouldn't be too hard to blend in. "Tch." I already knew that was one resolution I wouldn't be following. I'd probably cut back on vacations to Italy, and reaching the the rift atop the Astronomy tower would be too risky with the school closed, but there was one project that I was desperate to delve into over the break. Inspired by Sirius Black, I could be traveling through the Pyrenees on four legs rather than two next year.
Despite the illegality of becoming an animagus without full government supervision, the plan was practical as well as fun. After the near miss with a dementor's kiss I'd researched far and wide for defense against them after repeatedly failing to produce a patronus. Discovering that animagi in their animal form were resistant to dementors (as well as lycanthropy and most wizarding illnesses) had made an already interesting subject jump to the top of my list.
My first two years in the wizarding world I'd assumed it was just like the muggle world but with magic, that the things that had happened at Hogwarts were an exception to a generally rational rule. This, it seemed, was quite far from the case. Not only was the wizarding world racist, inbred, poorly governed, and at a near-standstill technologically, the wizarding judicial system and prison in the UK was like something out of Dante's Inferno. The more I read of Azkaban the more horrific and threatening it seemed. Apparently there was no such thing as community service or low-security prisons, just cells in Azkaban that received varying amounts of attention from dementors. According to wizarding law you were either innocent of all charges (like Lucious Malfoy apparently) or guilty and sentenced to spend time with happiness-sucking, insanity-causing robed monsters, and many of those sentences were for life.
Considering the only slight chance I'd have of escaping a guilty sentence if my non-ministry approved time turner use was discovered would be to throw McGonagall under the bus, I hoped my animagus form was small enough to slip through prison bars.

I'd underestimated my parents' observation skills. It had taken a few weeks for them to suss it all out, but getting lost in the Amazon jungle for three months had been enough to finally make them stop me for a talk. It wasn't quite what I expected. I thought I'd been caught time traveling due to the sudden change of haircut that I'd been too homesick to notice, or the subtle sharpening of my cheekbones that came from aging three months in a single day. Turned out they'd decided to stage an intervention over the bras of mine Mom had washed for me. Apparently a sudden cup size increase immediately made them think I was magically enhancing myself.
Explaining why and how I'd been aging faster than normal had taken a few hours, but overall they'd taken it with aplomb. Well, after crying a bit about their little baby growing up too fast. Mentioning that witches tended to age a little slower after reaching maturity had helped smooth things over a bit. Though, upon learning that I was already fifteen, they mandated that I do my own laundry from now on. They'd also put their foot down about muggle history. They were happy that I'd picked up some foreign languages during my time turner-aided globe traveling, but apparently being well on my way to voting age and knowing hardly anything about English history besides several supposed goblin wars was criminally deficient.
I didn't really mind the extra studies, but it was a shame I had less and less free time. I'd read that powerful wizards and witches as well as the famous had a harder time using time turners but I hadn't thought it would apply to me anytime soon. Apparently I was wrong. I could hear a sort of hum whenever I came close to creating a paradox, and it was happening awfully frequently. Stupid muggle cellphones were making it harder and harder to do month-in-a-day trips now that I was pretty enough to be noticed and remembered by random passerby. Not that I was terribly unhappy about that, but it was a bit of a mixed gift. On top of that, I seemed to have acquired more "magical mass." Another natural part of becoming an adult witch, or so I'd read. Unfortunately, while a larger magical core allowed for stronger spells, it also meant the itsy bitsy hourglass had to work a lot harder to send me back in time. The repeated overuse when I'd gotten lost in the Amazon had even left a worrisome crack in it.
What it all boiled down to was that I had to either steal an industrial-strength time turner and learn how to glamour myself to escape attention... or start limiting my jaunts through time. I was reluctantly going with the latter option, but I was holding the former in reserve. It was probably for the best that I cut things down to forty hours a day or less. Not only was time traveling dangerous, sometimes it felt like an unhealthy addiction. It certainly hadn't helped my social life thus far. It was hard to relate with Harry and Ron when they were moving through life at half my speed, and they weren't the sharpest tacks to begin with.
As it turned out, it wasn't much longer before the whole time travel issue completely blew over with my parents.

I really shouldn't have screamed. That was the key issue. Not playing around with magic beyond capabilities or forgetting to turn off the alarm clock while I was meditating to achieve my animagus form, no, it was definitely the scream. I wasn't a little girl anymore, but that hadn't stopped my parents from running into my room. Given the way they also started screaming I suspected they'd stop to knock in the future.
It took an hour to get Mom to relinquish her death grip on the broom. It almost made things better that she freaked out as much as she did. It meant I could concentrate on calming her down rather than focusing on the fact that I had eight freaking spider legs. Honestly, I had a feeling that I might be seriously screwed. Madam Pomfrey had covered up the polyjuice potion incident (and honestly, turning oneself into an animal hybrid once in a lifetime was already too often) but there was no guarantee she'd do the same for this. And if her scan revealed my true age... I had a feeling that hoping for the minimum security section of Azkaban would be overly optimistic.
There had to be a way to fix this. Most of the horror stories about partial animagus transformations involved foolish young wizards transforming their heads into animals and not retaining the sense to change back, but thankfully I'd only managed to alter my legs. Unfortunately according to the books I'd picked up from Knockturn Alley, now that the animagus transformation had started and been allowed to set there was no way to become fully human without first turning fully into a... a spider. Even ignoring the unexpected animal, transforming fully and then back to human was easier said than done. Thanks to that damned alarm clock interrupting my meditation I'd gone seriously off script. Even with the timer turner it could take months to transform safely, and if I grew steadily more spider-like, well, it would be hard to go to class if I was only a foot tall. At least as I was I could pass for human if I figured out a way to keep my lower half concealed.
But how... School robes were terribly unflattering and had helped hide my age, but they weren't bulky enough to hide my giant spider abdomen and accompanying legs. Nor was I anywhere near good enough at illusion magic to simply glamour myself, not that I had the power to keep a glamour up all day and still cast spells for class anyways. But maybe, just maybe, there was a third option. Hopefully Harry would forgive me.

"Colloportus." I sighed in relief as door to the train hallway clicked shut and the privacy window tint engaged. Navigating down the length of the train without bumping anyone with my spider legs or butt had been a harrowing experience. Now that I was safely away from the other students I could finally relax.
"Oof." Before I knew it I was on the ground nursing a bruised elbow. 'Oh, right, benches.' Beds I could handle with a little effort, but benches and chairs were far from friendly to giant spiders. With careful concentration I maneuvered my eight legs to lever myself upright before sitting down between the train compartment's benches. Honestly, eight legs were far too many. Four I probably could have handled, but it had been a number of weeks now and I still tripped a few times a day. A necessary consequence of a human mind controlling a spider body, I supposed. Certainly better than the reverse.
Despite the frosted glass this was no time to be incautious. Turning nearly 180 degrees at my waist I adjusted the invisibility cloak I'd stolen from Harry, making sure it covered all my spider parts. Well, except for my teeth. The small fangs were a recent acquisition, gained during one final attempt at completing my animagus training before I lost my nerve. Considering the fangs had come with a sudden new appreciation for red meat I figured it was best to stop while not too far behind. My dear Crookshanks wouldn't even come in the same room as me. For the first time, I was going to Hogwarts entirely alone. But I wasn't a little girl anymore, and over the past – for me – two years I'd learned how to get along by myself quite well.
While a good start, the invisibility cloak wasn't enough to let me blend in by itself. It did however make the process of maintaining an illusory floor-length skirt or robe far easier. It was still draining and the control to conjure the image of 3D legs was as of yet beyond me, but as long as no one bumped into me and I didn't show off my fangs it was sufficient to pass as fully human. Thankfully it was only a temporary solution and with luck I wouldn't have to keep it up for very long, but it did present some problems as far as how to shower at school. Even with the time turner, a trip back home every day would be annoying. Hogwarts wasn't even on the same island. But... there was the rift.
It had been such a long time since I'd been through. Fall had come with force here in Scotland, but perhaps it was still summer in that other world. I could bathe in a crystal-clear river without having to squeeze my spider half into a shower cubicle or worrying about discovery. It sounded heavenly. And on top of that, I'd finally get to let loose and practice some real magic. I'd studied a bunch of theory and learned a few wandless cantrips and of course screwed up an animagus transformation, but my wand had been strictly off limits. Stupid Ministry of Magic underage misuse of magic monitoring system crushing my creative spirit, or something.

Gurgle. "Shut up, stomachs." I was already regretting skipping out on the Sorting feast. But despite the questions it might bring from Harry and Ron there was just no way I could have gone. Not only would someone have bumped into me at the crowded dining table, I wasn't sure I could even properly sit at the table without breaking a leg. I'd just have to grab something from the kitchens later. It could be hours before there was anything hot there though, and I had little appetite for crackers or fruit anymore. No point in using the time turner then. Breakfast was far enough already. This visit to the world beyond the rift would have to be a short one.
I really had to come up with a better name for this place than "world beyond the rift." Narnia? Verdania? Arda? That sounded about right. And what a beautiful sky Arda had. This was the first time I'd visited Arda on a cloudless night, and the view was breathtaking. A multitude of stars shined against the purest black sky I'd ever seen, none of the hazy pollution of England. The constellations were different from those I'd learned in astronomy class, as I'd expected. Either this was a different dimension or planet entirely, or so far back or forwards in time that the stars themselves had changed position. It would take considerably more exploration to find out which one for sure though.
I stepped towards the river but stopped thereafter, a light tap-dance of spider-feet betraying my indecision. I'd intended to pop by the river I'd discovered in a previous visit, but with night falling the air was turning a touch chill. Besides, there was another piece of Arda that was drawing my attention. The dark, murky woods to the East had seemed forbidding last year, but now something about them called to me. I'd spent an awful lot of time this summer hiding away in my room, constantly studying and suppressing my spider instincts. Maybe it was time to let loose for a little while, here where no-one was around to fear me or call me a freak or a monster.
It took a bit to find the rhythm, but soon enough I was running at a fair pace on my eight legs. Or was it scuttling? skittering? galloping? Regardless, it was considerably faster than my pace had been on human legs. Last time it had taken two days to reach the edge of the forest, this time it barely took two hours and a third of my water bottle. Not sweating anymore significantly helped with water efficiency, despite my larger body. Hunger was a different matter. I'd been a bit peckish when I left Hogwarts but now I was ravenous. Well, it was a forest. I could probably forage for some nuts and berries. And wasn't that a grimace-inducing thought. I hadn't been much for vegetarian fare since my transformation, particularly after I'd grown fangs. Vegetables were hard enough to choke down in a curry, let alone au naturale.
It was dark in the woods and I hadn't brought a light. But I did have my wand. "Lumos." Devouring darkness spread from my wand until I canceled the spell with a thought. "Or not." It seemed I was right to come here to practice my wandwork before trying any spells in class. I'd suspected something was wrong when I'd practiced lumos and other minor spells wandlessly over the summer, but this proved it. When my body changed, so did my magic. It didn't affect everything, but certain spells were subtly changed, weakened or strengthened. Or, like lumos, rather less subtly.
Despite the lack of light I moved deeper into the woods, careful not to lose the dim starlight behind me. 'Well that's odd.' A dozen yards into the woods and I hadn't run into a single branch, hadn't even had a single one of my legs stumble. I could feel... everything. It was like touching a doorknob through a thick glove, but I could feel a rock ten feet away, the falling of a leaf, even the swaying of the trees. Not only that, my eyes were starting to adjust. It was murky, but I was starting to see dim shapes limned in silver-gray. Some sort of night vision with a little echolocation spider-sense type thing on top, I surmised. Not bad, not bad at all. My failed animagus experiment had caused me no end of trouble back in civilization, but it was proving quite useful for exploring.
Buoyed by my newfound talent I scampered deeper into the woods. Navigating out of the woods could wait until dawn, right now navigating around tree trunks was enough. I went faster and faster as I gained familiarity with my senses. 'Ground' took on a whole new meaning as I went deeper into the woods. A tumultuous mix of rocks, fallen trees and vines had me running well above the soil, often as not. Scents filled the air, little scurrying creatures darting into the brush as I passed, making me want to pounce. I restrained myself, of course. It wasn't like I'd know what to do with one of them if I caught something anyways. Other than that however I let my instincts have free reign. Here in the depth of the woods it was as if I'd entered another realm. Time and the trappings of civilization felt very far away.
I wasn't sure how long it had been when I came to an abrupt stop. Neither was I immediately sure what it was that had stopped me. Even with my improved vision I couldn't see anything in front of me, but I could feel a barrier, feel the wind press and weave through it. Cautiously I brushed it with a fingertip. 'Silk?' A gentle pluck revealed its secrets, vibrations thrumming outwards through a series of interconnected webs. 'Spider silk... but what kind of spiders could weave webs this large?'
My question was answered moments later with a rustling along the webs. A hissing at the edge of sound reached my ears. Strangely, though it was no language I'd ever heard, I began to grasp its meaning. "Meat." "Glorious meat." "More intruders?" "Kill them." "EAT them."
"Oh shit," I said. 'Wait, did I just hiss?' Eyes flashed in the darkness and I wondered if it was too late to run. Or maybe... "I come in peace," I hissed to the spiders. Giant spiders. Bear-sized spiders. Was it weird that they looked huggable? Yes, that was definitely weird.
My words seemed to have thrown the arachnids into disarray, but it hadn't stopped them from gathering in the trees above me. At least three dozen of them chittered above me amongst the branches, too many hiss-words flying at once for me to interpret. All of a sudden all of their voices started saying the same things.
"Grandmother! Honored Grandmother!" "Come come Grandmother, we have food for you."
"Huh?"

Back