Truly Alien Creatures in Fiction

I'm a fan of weird alien creatures. I don't mean just humans with weird foreheads, or even giant worms that talk like us. I mean the truly alien. LIfeforms which operate on completely different modes of thought than us. Beings which we may struggle to call beings at all. Does anyone have examples of ones done well?

Personally, my favourite is the Yozi from Exalted. The idea of one creature with multiple independent bodies, each of which represent some aspect of its thought process while being thinking beings in their own right? I find that pretty cool.

What about y'all?

The Chanur series has some good ones. None of the nonhumans are really human in outlook (Cherryh is good at aliens), but the ones I found most interesting were the kif and the tc'a.

The kif are a solitary predator species that is genuinely lacking in most of the more social emotions and impulses; not "evil" in the human sense, but totally amoral with a society based purely on who is stronger and better able to bribe/threaten underlings into compliance. A society of unsocial creatures is interesting.

The tc'a only show up a few times, but the fact that they have multiple brains and speak in matrices is really cool.

This ao3 original works author has some sweet depiction of truly alien mindsets (especially their last story):

nostalgebraist - Works | Archive of Our Own

An Archive of Our Own, a project of the Organization for Transformative Works

I won't say too much about the details because it would spoil the gradual understanding you develop through the protagonists.

In Olaf Stapledon's Star Maker, it's mentioned that some early universes lacked space as we know it and were made of music, including living intelligent music in some cases.

Many of these early universes were non-spatial, though none the less physical. And of these non-spatial universes not a few were of the "musical" type, in which space was strangely represented by a dimension corresponding to musical pitch, and capacious with myriads of tonal differences. The creatures appeared to one another as complex patterns and rhythms of tonal characters. They could move their tonal bodies in the dimension of pitch, and sometimes in other dimensions, humanly inconceivable. A creature's body was a more or less constant tonal pattern, with much the same degree of flexibility and minor changefulness as a human body. Also, it could traverse other living bodies in the pitch dimension much as wave-trains on a pond may cross one another. But though these beings could glide through one another, they could also grapple, and damage one another's tonal tissues. Some, indeed, lived by devouring others; for the more complex needed to integrate into their own vital patterns the simpler patterns that exfoliated throughout the cosmos directly from the creative power of the Star Maker. The intelligent creatures could manipulate for their own ends elements wrenched from the fixed tonal environment, thus constructing artifacts of tonal pattern. Some of these served as tools for the more efficient pursuit of "agricultural" activities, by which they enhanced the abundance of their natural food. Universes of this non-spatial kind, though incomparably simpler and more meager than our own cosmos, were rich enough to produce societies capable not only of "agriculture" but of "handicrafts," and even a kind of pure art that combined the characteristics of song and dance and verse. Philosophy, generally rather Pythagorean, appeared for the first time in a cosmos of this "musical" kind.

A lot of the aliens in Known Space are, if not totally alien, at least weird enough that you couldn't portray them with actors in rubber foreheads.

Yeah, that thing is the best example I've ever seen of "you cannot comprehend the nature of the attack."

And not just in the usual Lovecraftian "oh my god this thing is so weird I can't event describe it you guys, just trust me it's super weird" sort of way. The Colour gets described directly or obliquely a bunch of times, but is so unnatural of a concept that it really feels alien.

And not just in the usual Lovecraftian "oh my god this thing is so weird I can't event describe it you guys, just trust me it's super weird" sort of way. The Colour gets described directly or obliquely a bunch of times, but is so unnatural of a concept that it really feels alien.

Well, one of Lovecraft's problems was that his "indescribable" aliens were usually not actually all that hard to describe or imagine. The colour was one of the times he actually put his money were his mouth was.

Last edited:
SCP-2361 - SCP Foundation is excellent.
How so? Im not familiar
It's set in a universe without gravity, the human analogs live on the upper plate of an immense jellyfish like beast that is in "orbit" due to accelerating towards a star (nothing like our idea of stars) at a constant 9.8m/s and traveling sideways at some immense speed, feeding off the "algae" it hits on it's leading face and thus maintaining a constant distance. Although they are human analogs they're still far more alien than most "aliens" we see written, for example souls exist and the implications of souls existing in a coherent sci-fi setting are taken quite seriously, for example bodies with a reincarnated soul grow up much quicker than a new soul, the colonization missions consist of just a few living people and tens of thousands in a sort of mobile afterlife. Of the main characters there's Tunie the Lesser Void Corrier who thinks entirely in terms of momentum and position to a degree of complexity comparable to any other sapience. There's also the first viewpoint character Pylo the "courtesan"(really some difficult to translate concept), because of how the author "translates" things how alien she is doesn't really comes through at first but it's explored later on.

Back