Traveler (Retro-Futuristic Weird Earth Space Traveler)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Adam seeks to travel beyond Earth and meet one of the alien species of Ethereals, who came to Earth and opened up the world of traveling between planets for humanity. But the Ethearal species is divided by three groups, who each rule on one of three planets.

The Neutralists made first contact with Earth, and still run the financial institutions which provide bonds for new trading vessels. It was their assistance which allowed several nations on Earth to begin building their own Spirit-Drive based spaceships.

The Blessed believe that each person has a unique righteous pursuit or avocation stamped in their spirit, and they grieve when a person's dreams are crushed or taken away from them. They wish to intervene on Earth, and especially they rebel against the treatment of women and youth there.

The Condemned are a group of people who separated themselves from the other two groups, because they were repeatedly called out as beings of spiritual ugliness, that is they were unappealing to this Ethereal spirit sense. They are the only non-democratic Ethereal power, lead by their Queen.

Adam will discover all of these powers and disputes as he gets entangled in a great sorrow. A project of the Blessed centuries ago that went very bad. The Seer-Knights have long since avoided looking at that section of the sky, as the suffering and reminder of their failure there is too much.

But now, all eyes are on the suffering planet, and what they will discover their is unsettling and disturbing.
Last edited:
Home and Back Away Again
(I decided to post this from the First Chapter competition. I've written several chapters, but I want to edit a few of the later ones before I post them.)

Adam looked over the edge of the large passenger airship, as it swayed in the bitter north wind. The coals had been largely snuffed, he guessed, as the ship was descending steadily, still moving forward towards the Odawan bay and the city of Petoskey.

Adam's grandfather had traveled by a different sort of ship, when he immigrated to the Odawan nation years ago. The thought of a spaceship made Adam marvel. What a thing to exist, that travels between the planets, with a fuel that could barely be described, not coal, nor even what was now called petroleum.

It was hard to believe the true-believers, who spoke of the Ethereal people as flying in ships powered by their very life essence or "spirit". It made more sense if they sailed on the great Aether much as sailing ships sailed by wind on their Earth.

Grandpa would think it inconceivable that Adam had flown to England to take an exam, and then flown back. But he had to get into Oxford's International and Interplanetary Studies program, he had to!

Wesiinh was also planning to apply to the program. She was native born Odawan, and very proud of her people.

He had planned out their next several years. Six years in the INIP program at Oxford, then they could return together to Odawa, or travel the world, or what about traveling the planets?

Oxford's program was excellent, and he would be exposed to his home country again for a few years, and maybe make some connections with those who knew Ethereals. Or maybe he would meet an Ethereal himself.

England, France, Bavaria, these were the countries that had, just in the last twenty years, built the first human spaceships, following after the Ethereal design with modifications of necessity.

England had built a few dozen to France's 3 and Bavaria's 1.

Adam looked around at the airship compartment. It had internal walls but was against the edge of the airship, allowing him a view. There were a few other businessmen in his compartment. A few students like him.

He wore a black bow-tie with his grey flannel coat and black slacks. He was glad for the coat, though he wished for his feathered brown coat back home. He looked to his possessions, a simple black case with paper and inkpens, and the attestation of who he was.

"Adam Ryan, Odawan citizen, Alliance of Lakes."

His connection to England itself was also documented.

He had a few British pounds, and the rest of his money was in the common currency of the Lakes nations: The Lakeland dollar.

A crewman entered their compartment, and spoke to them in Ethereal, for some spoke Ottawa, some English, and some other languages entirely, but they all spoke Ethereal.

"We'll be landing in the next few minutes, please take your seats."

The crewman wore a black cap and a flannel uniform, and proceeded to sit down on one of the benches in their compartment.

Adam sat down next to some of the other students.

"If I might ask, what were you studying in England?" Adam asked the young man next to him.

"Spiritual philosophy," he said.

"What sort of thing do you study in that? I don't understand what I've heard. I'm still just an applicant."

The University student spoke to him without a pause, "We studied Ethereals and their first sense. I guess you could call our first sense sight, or perhaps a closer analogy would be smell. We smell, and we feel a gut level like or dislike for what we smell. The Ethereal people have a sense of someone's spirit, even their own, that is as visceral as that."

Adam thought it was all odd and unbelievable, "How could that be? What is spirit anyway? I mean I get the definition of the Church, that every human and Ethereal has a spirit which is slightly different and unique for every person. But I don't really get it."

It seemed that a person's innermost was completely private to them. His's inner thoughts should be kept to himself, not looked on like a Doctor's exam.

"Ships fly by the power of spirit, directed by conduit and piping, and if a ship's crew and yes, even passengers are out of balance, the ship will not fly," the student said fiercely. "Spiritual philosophy is as real as Natural philosophy. It is a real study. And also, your spirit is both entirely core and not separable from who you are, both also something which can be seen in plain sight by an Ethereal."

The airship made a solid, but momentary thud, as it landed.

"Perhaps, if I get accepted to the program, I could call on you in England? Mister?" he asked.

"Henderson. What program have you applied to?"

Adam gathered his case, and stood up from the bench. "IRIPR."

"Never had an interest in that. Didn't take you as someone interested in the political set. But, sure, ask for me at West hall."

After, it was the slow march of people out of the airship. He drew out his documents of Odawan status and kept them at hand, as a team of three receiving stations reviewed every passenger's documentation.

The Ethereals still have lifter craft that could make suborbital flights, and grandpa had arrived on one of those, but they were a rare thing, more likely was for immigrants to arrive on the Eastern coast, and some of those eventually found their way across to the Lakes.

After seeing to his paperwork, Adam walked across the open field to where people were waiting for the arrivals.

Some chauffeurs waited with their hansoms, while others were whole families with their carriage waiting.

The airship, and spaceships seemed so much more advanced that the horses they still relied on, on the ground.

There was talk of horseless carriages that a few inventors were experimenting with.

His father was waiting, and Wesiinh, was with him. It was odd that the two would have rode out to meet him.

Father wore his black bowler, coat and tie, and Wesiinh wore a dress, and had feathers in her braided golden hair. She was short, only five foot two, and father towered over both of them, at nearly six feet tall.

"I'm glad to see you back, son. How was your exam?" father said.

"It was a lot of unfamiliar terms, but I got most of them by context. I have a lot to learn, but I think the exam went well," Adam said.

There was a lot of diplomatic lingo that he didn't know. And another set of terms for interplanetary trade, and the Ethereals' established system, which Earth had adapted with the introduction of their own trading ships.

Wesiinh spoke suddenly. "My mother—she's sick. Well, I know we talked about going to Oxford next year, but I really can't go now, until mother is better and I'm sure that my father doesn't need me back at home. I'm going to study here in Petoskey, at least for now. They've already accepted me in the medical program."

Adam felt like he was punched in the gut. He was so excited to go study abroad.

They loaded up in his father's carriage. The driver looked back and them, and then proceeded to navigate through the mess of other carriages and hansoms making their way out of the airport.

"I talked to a Spiritual philosopher today," Adam said to Wesiinh.

"What did he have to say?" she asked.

"He's still a student of the program at Oxford. He talked to me about how Ethereals can see into their own spirit, and even human spirit. It's hard to believe, but I've heard that before. But thinking about how ships are powered by spirit, that's interesting. I would study spaceships all day if I could. But trying to be practical, I could study either Spiritual Philosophy or IRIPR."

"To be honest, the Ethereals are nice and all, but my primary goal was just the first part of that program. Knowing the International treaties, and learning about diplomacy. I want to be an ambassador someday, but there's no program here for that. I'd rather be doing something that's helpful, that dreaming about something I can't have."

The carriage ride was rather quiet after that. Wesiinh seemed distracted to Adam, and he was thinking about ships, but also about what might have been.

The ships helped keep his attitude right.

Adam settled into a routine as winter break wore on. He didn't talk to Wesiinh much. She was busy running errands for her father.

Adam's own father was away on business out east. He was a clothier, and with the ample supply of furs in the region, fur coats were made for good prices in Ryan industries.

His father always said he took English industry and Odawan character and put them together to run Ryan Industries.

He had to ride down to the station by himself when word arrived of a telegram from Oxford.

He was not accepted into the IRIPR program at Oxford, but he was welcome to come visit and try to apply to another department.

He wanted to speak with Wesiinh before he left for England. He loved Petoskey—for what it was. But his heart was set higher and further.

He sat down to dinner with her folks, as it was the only way he could meet with her. It seemed she was extremely busy.

"So you are going to Medical school, for sure?" he asked again.

It was winter, so they were eating from stored up foods, and what could be hunted in winter, which was mostly rabbit or deer. The venison stew was still very good.

"I've already started the program. It's 8 years, starting with the basics. My professor has even helped diagnose mother," Wesiinh said.

Adam wished he could see Wesiinh pursuing her dreams once more. Wesiinh seemed to have settled on something other than them.

"I'm headed back to England to try to get into another program. Oxford didn't take me in IRIPR, but they said I could apply to another program."

Wesiinh's father asked, "Do you have any family there?"

"Some third cousins, once removed," he said.

"I'm not going to England. I'm sorry Adam. I really do appreciate everything."

"You were a helpful friend for Wesiinh, I admit. But the time has come for two paths to separate," said her father.

It was strange to eat dinner and socialize the rest of the night. Not only broken up, but by her own father, and Wesiinh made no attempt to disagree with him.

Adam's father gave him enough savings to get to Oxford and live there. He promised to send some additional money as needed. But Adam didn't plan on living wildly in an expensive country like England.

So it was back to England by airship, to apply for the Spiritual philosophy program, although he wanted to first find out if there was a spaceship program or concentration.

Oxford
The sharp scent of coal fire filled the air as the airship descended into Oxford. It was better than London, they said, but then what a comparison was that, Adam thought.

The Oxford city terminal had Airships and Spaceships coming and going, but there weren't any spaceships docked when he arrived.

He went into the arrivals building, feeling the dull splattered gray walls, and the lines of arriving peoples.

"Reason for visit?" the official asked.

"University," he said.

"Paperwork?"

Adam passed over the sheaf of paperwork with his current status and historical status.

"You'll need to confirm University registration with us within a month. Next!"

He wandered out to the road, passing by dozens of travelers. There were North, Central and South Americans, other Europeans, and Asians of many nations.

He let himself smile when he caught sight of an Ethereal. He had two sets of wings, overlapping, and one being above the other. In the thicker atmosphere of the Ethereal home worlds, they were enough to fly by.

He wore the gray mask of the neutral faction of his people. The little eye holes barely looked enough to see through, but then they had spirit perception as well.

He knew the benevolent Ethereals wore no mask, nor other face adornment. He had seen photographs of benevolents. Since they showed their face, which was pale, nearly white in complexion.

The Ethereal traveler passed him by, heading into the station as Adam was headed out.

After he had passed by, he heard a strange sound and turned back.

A pileup of people had formed as a man in a long coat ran into the Ethereal and they both tumbled to the ground, with another lady behind them in the rush crashing too.

"Excuse me. Apologies. Forgive me," said the Ethereal in his own language and English and Mandarin.

Adam looked back towards the lineup of hansoms and carriages and headed that way again.

The Neutralist again said, "Excuse me", and then he was right behind Adam.

"Oh, um, is there something you wanted-- sir?" Adam stammered. He had never talked to an Ethereal from up close.

Now the Ethereal seemed to stammer. "Excuse me, ahem," clearing his throat. "Would you like to take a ride in one of those horseless carriages? I apologize for the vice, but your soul has a pleasing nature to it. I would like to get to know such a person."

Adam was confused. His soul had a nature, or his spirit. He wondered if the Ethereal meant anything different by it. He wasn't about to refuse though.

"I'm headed to the Oxford registrar to see what programs I might be eligible for. Sure, I'd love to see a horseless carriage. Do Ethereals have those?"

The Ethereal swept his hand forward and lead onward.

"We don't have coal or oil powered technologies. Why bother developing them when you've honed the craft of spirit powered vessels for centuries. But horseless carriages are the first of your people's inventions that truly interest me. I'm good friends with one of the tinkerers here. I'm Atiaelero Numat, but you can call me Numat."

The horseless carriage they approached was gleaming silver, must have been polished daily. It only had two seats and a large rod stuck out of the leather front wall on the right side.

I was about to get in on the right when he directed Adam with his webbed hand. "I can only drive from the rightside seat."

Adam moved to the other door, and got in.

"I'm Adam Ryan, just arrived from the Americas. I was surprised to meet an Ethereal so soon here, so it's very nice to meet you Numat."

Numat leaned over to open up a compartment and pulled out a sort of hat, except the hat was connected by a tube of fabric into the bowels of the carriage.

"Hmm, why don't you do the honors, and start the carriage?" Numat said.

"Huh?" Adam mumbled.

"Just put the hat on. It will redirect the spiritual power emanating from you into the ignition block."

Adam put the hat on slowly. It was an odd sort of hat with that dangling bit running into the compartment.

In a split second a guttural and rumbling roar came through the cabin.

"Ok now, hurry take it off!" Numat said, and Adam quickly pulled the hat off.

"You could overpower the igniter and fry the mechanism if you're not careful," Numat said.

"What's all this about my soul and spirit? When you said my 'soul' has a pleasing nature, do you mean my spirit."

Numat responded, "Many neutrals like myself believe in the separate spirit and soul aspects of our senses. Where spirit means the overall power of your supernatural heart-aspect, and soul refers to its character and type. Just like you could refer to something's color (soul), and it's brightness (spirit) separately."

With the carriage making a continual growling sound, Numat pulled back on the rod and tilted it one way and then the other to direct the carriage.

The carriage wasn't moving any faster than horse powered ones through Oxford's streets, but then it was a crowded afternoon.

"Its hard to picture having this internal nature that you can see and I can't. I know it has something to do with my purpose, but I'm just trying to find a good program that I'd enjoy for now. Someday though, I want to travel and see the Ethereal worlds."

Numat looked at him for a brief moment before returning to the road. "You were damaged recently, but fortunately it doesn't seem to be serious."

"Damaged?"

"You're spirit was affected by something happening in your life. Besides that bit of damage, your soul is remarkably intact."

"My girlfriend just told me she was staying home to help her parents. We were going to go to Oxford together. And then I got rejected for the IRIPR program," Adam said.

"It is regretful when hopeful plans go astray, but you seem hopeful again today," Numat said.

"I'm excited to learn, well just about anything. I'm sure I'll be fascinated by any program I can get into."

Numat looked at Adam, almost staring at him as they waited behind a carriage with a recalcitrant horse.

"There's another program. It's hard to get into. Not at Oxford, and its hands on. Come see me when you are done applying to Oxford tomorrow," Numat said.

He handed over a small piece of thick paper stock. It just said, "Applicant" and showed an address on the front, and on the back in small print. "Distribute only according to SIT guidelines."

"It's better if you don't know exactly what you are applying for, as the process is very long, and only a very few are accepted, but I think this opportunity is better than anything you'll get at Oxford."

Adam noticed Numat's dusky gray robes had two large pockets.

It was mostly a quiet ride the rest of the way, but outside the registrar, Numat bowed slightly with his webby pale white hands clasped together.

"Thank you for the ride," Adam said to Numat. "I hope to talk to you again sometime."

"I do too. You should find I'm nearby when you go to the address on that card."

And he was off, the rumbling noise of the horseless carriage moving behind him. It seemed that there wasn't much advantage to the horseless carriage, at least not yet.

He put the card in his small case and went on into the registrar.

A soft bell dinged as he entered. He thought there would be a line of other applicants.

"Can I help you?" asked a woman sitting at the desk just inside.

"I'm here to find out what other programs I can apply for. I was rejected by the International Relations program, so I was told I could apply for another program."

"I'm sorry, but the deadline for applications for Spring term was yesterday," she said.

"No extensions allowed then? I just arrived from the Americas," Adam asked.

"I'm sorry no. Our classes are filling up as well. Your best hope is to wait to sign up for Fall term."

Adam hesitated. "Well I don't like it, but what can I do? I suppose, thanks for waiting to tell me."

He nodded to the registrar and turned away. He didn't even have a place to stay, having planned on applying at the registrar and getting into a residence the same day.

Instead he got back into a hansom, and headed toward the address on the card. He couldn't go there yet, but he wanted to look for a hotel to stay at nearby.

It was only a dozen blocks and three shillings paid for the ride. He left a few shillings for the rider as well.

From across the street he spied the address on the card. It appeared to be a business, but the storefront only had the enigmatic characters SIT.

There were more banks and financial types of institutions here, but the hotel he went to was an old castle, retrofitted with modern things like toilets and electrical lighting.

The innkeeper's desk was a beautiful granite one, and the floors were polished hardwood.

It was 15 shillings to stay there, even father would be a bit taken back by that price, but he didn't have the time to mind it.

"How many times do we tell you, it's fresh sheets every three days, but always for new guests," the manager was saying rather loudly to a hotel worker.

"Sorry sir, I kept a schedule, and forgot when it was a new room."

"Go change out the sheets from all the ones you missed," the manager said firmly.

He didn't realize he was being so loud, or that he was overheard.

"Apologies, young man. You'll have new sheets in no time. Why don't you head in for supper? Our in-house place is quite well-stocked with good food."

He nodded, "I suppose so, thank you Sir," said Adam.

"I can spot a weary traveler when I see him, even one with a bright future planned for himself," the man, definitely human and not an Ethereal who could truly see such things.

Odd, he pondered how everyone could tell his own destiny better than he could himself.

The plan, if it could be called that, was to try the opportunity on the card tomorrow morning. If not for that, he would have to think of something else.

Another Opportunity
The nondescript building was full of activity in the morning when he left the hotel. He had bathed in the fanciest of tubs, took out his only other clothing, the grey suit. Even got someone to press the suit and shirt.

He joined the line of mostly men and a few women. He noticed a few other people with the same cards he had.

The line wasn't moving, but a man in a top hat looked outside the entrance, and as he raised his voice, the light talking ceased.

"First of all, anyone who doesn't have a card, I'm sorry you can't apply. We have meet and greets every week, so you can hope to get a card then," the man said, holding up a card of his own.

The line collapsed as people all over walked away, disappointed. A few others arrived after Adam with their cards, so he ended up fifth in line, with three others behind him.

"You all can come in."

Inside, the building was in dark mahogany. It was a long hallway with locked doors on the left and right.

"#1" he pointed towards the first person in line and directed them to the first door.

He pointed each person into the next door, until Adam was directed into the 5th door.

There was a stack of papers at a desk, and another place to sit on the opposite side.

A small placard said: "Please answer the questions in the sheet."

Question 1: Please describe your work experience with cargo or passenger transportation & travel?

Uh, Adam thought, he didn't have any. He skipped to the next question.

Question 2: Please describe your work experience with trading, whether commodity, stocks, bonds, land, sea or air?

Skip.

Question 3: How many pounds sterling could you contribute to an investment which you would be the active partner therein?

Father had sent him with 30 pounds, of which 2 had been spent on the airship to get here, and a portion of the third on the hotel. He could spare 25 pounds, if he had to. So he wrote that down.

Question 4: Please describe any trips you have been on to the Ethereal worlds.

Skip.

On and on the questions went. The first page only had one he could write down an answer for.

The second page asked for biography, and motivation. Why did he want to go.

Question 7: What motivates you to become a Space traveler?

"I want to see every planet and every neat thing. I want to learn about the people of the other worlds and learn from the Ethereals. I am excited for the chance to fly by wingsuit, and see the sun rise over a dozen worlds."

Question 11: How long do you plan on remaining a traveler, and why?

"I may want to take a break for a few weeks now and then, but I don't see why I wouldn't travel for several decades."

After a long process of writing that forced him to take a break to deal with his hand cramping, he was done.

He didn't have any experience. It seemed unlikely that he would be picked, if only a few people were.

The man from the hallway came into the room soon after and sat down on the far side of the desk.

"Don't be concerned. You wouldn't receive a card unless you were being seriously considered," he said.

He reviewed Adam's answers.

"Do you have any travel experience at all, even just as a passenger?"

"I've taken an airship three times now. And the railroad a dozen times."

He nodded, reading through more of his examples.

"Any business exposure?"

"My dad's a businessman, I hear about what he does to get supplies and sell product."

He continued reading, and when he was done, he nodded. "Our Ethereal resident is going to come and read your spirit, to see if yours is compatible."

The man left room #5, and presumably went on to the next one.

Adam sat there, not sure what to think.

How did he compare to the other candidates. Were they young and inexperienced like him, or veterans with years of experience in steam ships or whatever else.

He wanted to focus on enjoying whatever the opportunity was, but it sure seems like they were applying for some kind of spaceship pilot position.

Sailing high above the Earth, upon Aether winds, going from place to place. Meeting people and Ethereals of the likes he'd never seen before. He loved home, but more than home, he wanted to see new places.

He'd heard tales of the Ethereal knight, how she (or he, but mostly she) pursued valiantly the broken dreams of all of the fallen who resided with her. Of the Sages and Wise ones, who always seemed to know exactly what to say to help resolve troubles and problems.

Of the traders who bring surprising things, not just for the grownups who have something to trade in return, but trinkets for the kids that bedazzle.

Back home, he still had a little chirping spirit bird that stayed on his nightstand and would wake him up in the morning.

He snapped out of his little daydream when Numat walked in the door.

"I told you I would see you again," he said. "This shouldn't take long since I've already observed the broad strokes of your soul since the collision at the station.

"Don't worry," he said as he sat down. "I'm only staring at you to catch the fine threads of fate weaved within your soul. The things that one of our people can't see until they get a good long look at someone."

It was an awkward, uncomfortable few minutes, as the grey-robed man stared at Adam, his face only a few inches from Adams.

"Yes, you've got places to be. You have travel stamped on your soul, that's the best way I can put it. Hope, yes, and much of it. And travel. Dreams and visions of what you haven't yet seen, and little that is tarnished or torn. You were isolated, and now you can't wait to break out of your own world and see what there is to see."

Adam looked at him as he backed away, "Can you recommend me?"

"Definitely. With your lack of experience, you will need to work hard during training, but I will recommend you become a finalist. Whether that's enough, we shall see."

Numat left after that.

How long till I find out, he asked himself.

The man who had originally greeted them came in shortly after.

"Where can we contact you?" the man said.

"The Indigo, across the street."

"You'll know by tomorrow morning then."

He returned to the Indigo, back to his room, and unpacked what little he had in his case. He would need a laundry service to clean his other suit.

Candidate Status
A firm knock rapped on the hotel door. He barely noticed. Three and then five knocks rapped in a rhythmic tune.

"I'm coming!" Adam said. Bolting up out of bed. He was in small clothes so he scrambled, one leg and then another to get his trousers on. He pulled out the suit coat without buttoning it and went to the door.

Opening it, he found the man from the SIT building.

The man came rushing into the room, bagging up his stuff.

"You've been preliminarily approved. This is part of the process. Take off all your clothes."

Adam was embarrassed and didn't want to. He headed to the bathroom.

Another man entered.

"Now. You don't have time for the bathroom."

In a panicked way, he blushed and stripped, and then the 2nd man handed him a large sleek one piece outfit. It was completely smooth and flat, but he didn't have time to think about it as he rushed to put it on.

Another black, tight form fitting bodysuit went on after it, and then big bulky metallic oversuit made him unable to move at all without the metallic rim of arms slashing into the man.

He was overcome, as they placed a clear bubble of some kind over top his head and added several hoses which clicked and clacked.

His face felt pulled taut as a sort of suction took away his breathing, and then an odd sort of gas entered the bubble. It was almost slimy, which was a weird feeling for gas. He felt an undefinable tugging on him that wasn't physical in any way.

The second man had his hand pressing down on the top of the bubble so he could see nothing. Though he couldn't feel breathable air, he seemed to be breathing the weird gross viscous air anyway.

He calmed down, gradually feeling the pounding in his ears calm down, and his stress and anxiety faded slowly. The two men shifted something on the machinery powering the bubble, and the sickly weird air left, bringing into a flood of cool fresh oxygen.

The slimy air wasn't oxygen. It went into his lungs with a sliding liquidlike feeling.

Once his air was completely oxygen again, the 2nd man twisted and lifted the bubble out of his socket in the suit and then pulled off each layer of clothing.

Instead of putting back on his other clothes, they gave him pants and a white collared shirt with a monogram that said: "Ryan - SIT Candidate".

Finally they talked.

"We had to catch you by surprise, to see if you could breathe aether in an emergency. It's mostly up to accident of birth, but 6% of people are able to immediately start breathing aether, and you passed."

The 2nd man said, "When you leave Earth, the transition from air to aether will be sudden. Plus, when the air gets thin, we have aether-suits that will pump aether into your spacesuit like you just experienced. But here in the high pressure air, we have to use all of these suits and equipment to make sure the regular air isn't seeping in."

"I don't like to talk with those who haven't passed the 6% test. Because only 6% will make it," said the first man.

The 2nd man continued, "I'm Jenkins, and this is Wallaby. You'll be going by your last name and designation. So it's nice to welcome you to Stage 2, Candidate Ryan."

"Thanks Sir Jenkins," Adam said tentatively, still catching up to the crazy.

"It's Coordinator Jenkins and President Wallaby," said Jenkins.

"Thanks Coordinator Jenkins."

"We're taking you to our evaluation center, at the International Space Center," said Jenkins.

"I'll be staying here to evaluate more candidates, but you're the only one from this week to make it," said Wallaby.

"Where is that at?" Adam asked.

"Kilometers up, orbiting the Earth. You'll be tested on your ability to rapidly learn ship systems, your physical capacity to deal with the rigors of space, and your understanding and suitability for working with a partnership organization. I will give you the information you need as we make our way up towards orbit."

"Wow, I get to go to space! Just as a Candidate!" Adam beamed at him.

"Let's hurry, you have a ridiculously busy schedule ahead of you, and I need to get back down on planet by Friday."

It was Tuesday.

Coordinator Jenkins was a bearded man with a sweater vest and white slacks. He carried nothing with him as they left, and Adam's case was back at the hotel.

"Your personal effects will be stored until your return. These lifters are only designed to bring two men to orbit, nothing more."

The hansom that they entered outside was not a public issue, but instead had a driver from the SIT program.

"The station then," he asked.

"Of course, hurry if you can."

The man nodded, and the jolt pushed Adam back into his plush seat. They were sitting on a polished black bench, with no sign of wear or abuse on the floor or seats.

"Just as a quick answer to questions you might want to ask," said Jenkins. "It's vastly cheaper to use a small lifter-craft to get into orbit than bringing the ships down to the planet. It's at least 7 times cheaper to use a lifter."

"The other thing is you won't have to put much money down. Obviously a young man like yourself can't afford a spaceship, and even one investor isn't enough. You will have a whole big group of investors who are invested in your craft. You may been a candidate, but to actually be accepted, you need to get to know your investment team, and choose a managing partner, who will run the financial side of things while you are traveling. All of the investors, big and small, will be observing and receiving reports on your test results here. So after testing will be your time to meet with them."

"Do I get to be the captain of a ship? I love it, but I also don't know anything about being a crewman yet alone a captain?"

Jenkins chuckled. "Human spaceships like the Osprey class are not yet large enough to support more than one crew member. You need that space for your passengers. And you will find it's not that hard to navigate on your own. I've already received a request from Atiaelero Numat to travel on your first leg."

It wasn't twenty minutes before they were walking through the station towards the lifters.

They were long silver narrow tube like things.

Jenkins flashed his badge at several checkpoints before the red tape blocking the way was broken and they walked out to the lifter.

The seats were barely large enough for two slender people. "Let me strap in first, I have a little problem with getting buckled.

The clasping buckle was unlike any he had seen, as Jenkins fidgeted and got into position, and finally got buckled. The buckle had no mechanism for releasing it, that he could see.

"Come on in," the man said, and Adam sat down in the snug seat, pulling the belt tight before snapping it into the buckle.

Jenkins looked at a dial in the tiny vessel.

"2:16 pm, right on the dot, Candidate Ryan," he said.

There was a solid brass button, flush against the cabin wall, which said Go. They waited impatiently for over ten minutes before Jenkins started counting down the seconds. Finally, he said, "Three and two and one, and go!" slamming his palm against the Go button.

Adam's whole body was pinned firmly against the seatback and a loud roar erupted, filling their ears. He suddenly felt his body let go of its impression in the seat back, and for a split second he floated, until again the roar pushed him back. There were no windows, nor way of knowing where they were. It wasn't until the sound cut out again that he flipped a lever that Adam hadn't even seen before.

Two sets of odd headgear floated out towards them, and he told Adam, "put this on, I'll tighten it for you this time."

Then he went to work, putting his head inside the other one, and tightening his helmet. The helmet had a long fringe like a hat which nestled down into his shirt, and Jenkins slid the slider mechanism against it, then pushing the hose taut until it connected with the back of his head like before.

This time he didn't have the whole body suit, so he wasn't sure how it would work.

He couldn't hear anything but the howling wind outside, until that even began to fade. All he could hear was the slight whisper of voices lost in the aether, like echoing conversations from the past they murmured and muttered, as if you were hearing bits of a conversation at another table at a restaurant.

The slimy almost liquid feeling of aether filled his mouth and lungs again.

The aether filled the cabin, but he didn't panic this time.

"It's that transition point, when the air gets thin, and the aether isn't yet fully sufficient, that is dangerous," said Jenkins, who pulled off his mask.

"Everyone out here, is either obscenely rich, or else is part of that 6%, or is Ethereal."

He hesitantly pulled off the space suit, helped by Jenkins.

"It feels weird, really for quite a while, but eventually you get used to it."

Adam looked around, as if he could see out a window, but lacking that he felt a bit confined.

It was only another few minutes before he heard a solid ca-clunk, and the lifter rubbed up against some metallic surface.

The buckles released without either of them doing anything, and then the tube tilted open like it had before, and they were facing a series of spiraling rings, which made a steady thrum hum.

"Fly through here to get to the hub."

Jenkins flapped his arms, and with just the barest of speed, started floating through the rings.

He flapped his own, and clumsily spun around like a top, holding on to the ring to stop his fall. He pushed off with his hands against the first ring, which finally propelled him, but then he was going too fast, and tumbled into Jenkins and they both went spinning.

"That's why you don't do that," he said, and caught himself purely with hand gestures and began to float serenely onward.

Adam made a more gentle waving motion with his hands and followed.

The rings turned into a solid circular corridor, which they then floated through into a vast three-dimensional hub.

He saw it as three dimensional because Adam could see hallways up and down, and in all four other directions too.

The dull sound of constant conversation filled the aether.

He almost missed Jenkin's change in direction as he gaped at the huge cavern full of places to go and see.

He practiced fumbling about in the air until he was able to sort of careen his way after Jenkins, stumbling back and forth in slightly wrong directions. How could he learn to fly so straight like the Coordinator.

"How many hallways are there?"

"Hundreds," said Jenkins as they slipped through a narrow downward leading passage. Down was relative, of course.

Here it was quieter, as they slipped through into another smaller hub area.

He fumbled after Jenkins until they had gone through another three tunnels into a small, reasonably sized room.

"Wow that was a trip," he said.

Jenkins said, "I've traveled through the hub hundreds of times. It gets easier, but also a little boring."

"Where are we, and how do I find my way around anywhere?"

Jenkins laughed. Instead of answering he pulled a latch on the wall and out swung a full cot, but this cot was weird, in that it had straps to keep you from floating away.

Jenkins quickly put it away.

"This is your bedroom. You'll be sleeping on a weird shift, since space is limited, and after all, we don't have sunrise and sunset here. Unless you mean every 45 minutes."

Adam nodded, "and how will I know to get back here?"

"Number 623," he said and left, following another tunnel back.

It was exhausting following Jenkins, who didn't answer any of his questions, at least not directly.

"What is this tiny little room?" Adam asked.

"Claustrophobia test," he said, and closed the door on the room. Most rooms didn't have doors, just a tunnel which provided access at any time.

The room was just big enough to slip in, and had no room for stretching or changing orientation.

There was a dial on the door. Two dials actually. They seemed to be marking the time left until the chamber would open.

A Sickening Discovery (interlude)
"Up a little, half a degree."

Suniya adjusted the spirit telescope minutely, and then waited again.

"Slightly left, pan a quarter degree."

As she moved the telescope with a delicate touch, the ghosts residing in her spirit all spoke together.

"THERE!"

As she looked, she felt a churning nauseous feeling. Her spirit sense was of something putrid and dead. Greatly damaged hearts. Horrors and tortures of a kind her ghosts had only seen on Earth before the Ethereals first visited.

Spirit sense wasn't a visual kind of sense, but the spirit telescope was spiritual technology which brought the far off close, as if the rottenness she had seen was right next to her.

Most of her people also had synesthesia with the spirit feeling sense. What she had seen through the telescope felt like a disturbing shade of green. She could almost smell the rottenness.

"What now?" She asked her ghosts.

"..council."

She was in the tower observatory, which was itself at the highest point on the main island of Miarahaba.

She went to the tower's utility closet and brought out a rag and cleaning solvent, and carefully wiped down the eyepiece of the telescope.

You could use a telescope at lower heights, but this one was both a visual and spirit scope, so that you could find your region of the sky to look. And this tower was built so that it stood above the yellow fog which obscured vision in low places throughout the planet.

Without vision, an Ethereal could still navigate by spirit, but the human with her could not.

Irina Tikhonovna, a human from the coldest parts of Earth, who had arrived on Miarahaba a few years ago, offered to come with Suniya and make any needed repairs or improvements to the scope.

Humans were quite mechanically gifted, she admitted.

"Hands"

She nodded to the ghost who resided in her. While her people had hands, they were webbed, so really they didn't have the separate fingers for delicate work.

After cleaning the scope, she put away the cleaner, snuffing out the small yellow candles which had provided a little light for their nighttime work.

She leapt into the air, flying down and then through the middle gap between the zig-zagging steps, until she reached the bottom, with a flair flipping back right-side up and landing neatly at the bottom.

It was pea soup down here, like usual. She barely saw Irina putting on her wing-suit as she opened the door at the base of the steps and then closed it after Irina walked through.

"Are you ready?" she asked Irina.

Irina nodded, "let's go."

Irina had some human foods: sweet biscuits and jerky, ready to go, for in flight fueling.

Suniya would wait till they returned home to eat. The sights and spirits of flying refreshed her, plus flying was more difficult for humans, even with a wing suit.

Without another word, she jumped back into the air and began to rise quickly high into the air. She loved being up and out of the mist.

This was an isolated part of the planet, with few of her people living around here. The tower was the only structure for miles around. So when she glanced around, the only spirit sight she caught was Irina behind her.

She had a steel-gray sort of spirit, according to Suniya's synesthesia. Detailed, persistent, someone who considers all factors, and does not abandon those that are inconvenient. A great spirit for a mechanic, as long as you didn't mind paying to fix everything wrong with what she worked on.

Suniya flew ahead, feeling refreshed and joyful in the cold air, spinning and doing great figure eights which gave Irina time to catch up.

They played little games in the air, tagging each other, trying to fly under and over each other. Irina was still learning to fly, without the double wing that her people had, while she had flown since she was barely a toddler, so she had a huge advantage, but Suniya still thought Irina enjoyed the little games they played.

After a while, she could tell Irina was getting tired, so they just flew on straight and peaceful. She began to spot signs of other people below them, and a few who were also flying.

Irina was slowly sinking, as they approached the main town of the continent. Humans were more dense relative to their surface area, so whereas she could easily float with only a few flaps of her wings, Irina had to constantly put forth a big effort.

Finally she descended as well, using her friend who was staying at her house as a beacon. She couldn't see anything but the yellowish fog, but with her spirit sight she could find the right place.

Irina would have landed outside town, and followed the rope which strangers (and humans!) use to find their way if they aren't familiar with anyone in town. It'll take her right to the center of town.

She knew most of the people in town, however, so she could move around by recognition and familiarity.

It was surprisingly easy to end up in someone's yard by accident, if you thought you knew exactly where you were without checking.

Her friend waved to Suniya as she landed outside her small house. There were just a few overgrown bushes around her house, and yet by local standards she had a nice garden. Since you could rarely see your own garden, few bothered to have one.

"So you're back," said her friend.

Suniya answered, "Bad news. You may want to come to the council. I have to make my report."

"I don't want to take up a spot when there are so many who attend. I'll wait to hear from you."

"Well, what we saw? The old wise ones knew of the planet, though I had never heard of it from the council or anyone else. This planet is cold and far from the sun. And more importantly, full of some kind of foulness and death. Must suffering. Something the old wise ones say is reminiscent of humans at their worst in the first days we saw them in spirit."

"I thought all the planets were mapped out long ago?" asked her friend.

"So did I. This one is near the edge of—well everything. It's orbiting only a few days in from the aethershock."

"Go. I think Isaeti is at the council chamber," her friend said.

Orothurise Isaeti had a characteristic spirit, placid, responsible, able to argue without heat and noise.

She took her handheld scope out from the small belt pouch she wore around her waist. After a few minutes she spotted what looked like Isaeti.

"I'll see you soon," she said to her friend and flew off.

It turned out that Isaeti, Councilor Isaeti to be strict, was in one of the offices off to the side of the main council chamber. He was perched inches in front of a big piece of paper when she arrived at his door.

"Councilor," she said softly.

"Woah, you scared me. Knight Suniya, I didn't expect to see you back yet."

"The old ones showed me where to look. And the human, Mechanic Irina. She repaired the scope."

"Well that's good to hear. Do you want to call a session of the council to report your findings?"

Suniya hesitated and then confirmed, "Yes. What was found is surely disturbing and we need to take action."

"Well then I will ask for a rapid session of the council for tomorrow morning. I'm afraid the other councilors won't be able to gather together until then, as many are far afield. We won't have all of them, but we should make quorum."

"What do you need to know to get the others informed?" Suniya asked.

"Can you give us a rough category for the session?"

Suniya considered this. "Mercy Missions. An expedition should be sent to determine what happened and provide aid."

"Very well, I will send messages to the others."

Suniya said her goodbyes with the Councilor and returned to spend time with her friend at her own house.

It was late, very late. The thick fog was even invisible in the dark blackness before dawn.

Her friend had asked if the ghosts would tell a story. So she released the 5 of them to tell it. They looked like little wisps of white in the air, and their spirits were likewise barely there.

Seer-Knights weren't considered more than a Squire until they convinced at least three spirits to guide them. Suniya had a dozen spirits with her. Some had come and gone. They sometimes traded spirits between knights, with the spirits' agreement of course.

Two of the five she released were very old souls, and three were from the more recent generations of her own ancestors.

The oldest souls spoke together, taking turns.

"We will tell you the tale of the Co-Settled World. The one you spied in your optics last afternoon."
Humans only saw us Ethereals on occasion. Across the whole Earth, we would only arrive every few years, and in a particular region, perhaps only once every hundred years. We spent our time at different places during every visit, to try to provide wisdom in all the regions of the world.

Jocum joined our Earth project a decade after I joined, and only a few dozen of us were interested in Earth. We had a few ships, and a few backers to pay our way. The Humans were still so primitive they could only trade a few raw materials that we had much lack of.

The Humans missed us so much when we were gone that they constantly asked to come back with us. But we didn't have the support of all our people, so we couldn't bring humans back like you do now.

That was when we spotted the same planet with our telescopes. You won't find any, even amongst our team, who defend what we did next.

We decided that we should build a colony on that world we had spotted, where Humans and Ethereals would live together. Many of our people volunteered to go colonize the planet, and we even spoke privately with others about the idea, but never informed our local councils.

We held a lottery, with each human getting more tickets if they had more skills and balancing out the lack of women who wanted to go by giving them more tickets. We drew the lottery, but it was only by demonstrating our spirits that we prevented the humans from rushing our ship. After the lottery and the standoff, we loaded up the three hundred humans with what little things we had room for them. The Ethereals were already onboard, and as we left Earth, we encouraged them all to interact.

It was a month later when we finally reached this new world, which we called the Co-Settled World. We didn't forsee the incredible resilience and ability of humans to thrive on the frontier until we had settled in.

Most of the Ethereals settled in the central area we had landed in and lived a city life. They would fly around in pursuit of fruits and wild plants that were health to eat.

But the Humans began to establish outposts of three or four families, with their "farms". They grew crops they had brought from home. Some of the humans found fortune and had crops which could withstand the cold and short growing season, but many had not.

When the less fortunate found that Ethereals had already picked the easy fruits and veggies, they were forced to work for the successful farmers. Many were pushed to be "sharecroppers", which meant they were able to grow their own food on their boss' land, but they had to give their boss most of what they grew.

The Humans developed a very unequal system, while we spent more time in leisure, fueled by both physical and spiritual foods. Poor humans resented the rich humans, and they both resented us. We tried the same fixes we had applied on Earth, but these farmers no longer thought of us as wise outsiders who could come in and provide a neutral solution.

There are enough humans who don't fit with our ways, that living together was not a good idea.

Many Ethereals left when the Humans began threatening our city. We never spoke of what happened to anyone. The city must have fallen, but what fate befell those Ethereals who remained?

When we returned, we had to come clean with the council, and all were agreed that it was best to not mention the planet, or what we had done.

It was natural, I guess, that we turned away from visiting the humans. For hundreds of years, both that planet and Earth were forgotten, until brave Seer-Knights began to look on Earth again, and our modern age of interaction with humans began.

No one has contacted that world since we fled. And since, officially, it never existed, it was forgotten. So we were the last who could release this secret.

We few who remember those days believe it is not just human rottenness that has disturbed the Co-Settled World. Something else has disturbed its slumber.

Now, you have seen it, Knight.

"How about a happier story?" asked Suniya's friend.

Tests onboard
Adam felt his skin itch everywhere, but trapped in the confined space, he couldn't move to scratch anything.

He was obsessed with the dials counting down, but he refused to look at them, and instead kept saying, "I'll be out in no time."

He didn't like this test at all. He wasn't sure how long the dial was ticking down, but then, suddenly, the door clicked, and slid open.

There was an envelope taped to the side of the tunnel that led back to a hub area.

"Candidate Ryan, to be opened after Claustrophobia test."

He took the envelope and pulled its wax seal apart, reading the note inside.

"Your next test, navigation. Find your way to the far side of the space center. You may NOT ask for help from anyone. Answer any questions by saying you are headed to the ship mock operation tester. Any resources other than people are available to you."

This was what he was dreading. Trying to find his way in this labyrinth. Not only that but it was 3 dimensional with doors in 6 directions at each intersection.

He swam through the tunnel leading from the claustrophobia test, waving his hands against the thin aether.

This first hub was only 25 meters long, but there were tunnels up and down, forward and back the way he came.

Each door had a small placard with little characters. An abbreviation. "CT" on the one leading to the Claustrophobia center.

The one going up had "VL", the one going down had "H", the one going forward had "VII".

Roman numerals. He decided on a hunch, to lead after the roman numeral. He flapped and bumbled his way through the next tunnel which was larger.

VII lead out into a bigger hub, with over a dozen hubs, but after a lot of flying about to the different doorways, excusing himself when he passed another person, and looking at placards, he noticed 3 roman numeral hubs.

"I", "XII" and "IV".

Roman Numeral one seemed like the best.

As he flowed through the bigger tunnel with two others, he spotted it. It was a hull that was slowly spinning upward, so that the whole structure continually rotated with respect to the cavern.

He couldn't ask for help from the people manning the greeting center. But he could look at the boards bolted to the Hull in several places with maps of the station.

Because the space center was 3d, there were a series of slices of different levels and areas as maps.

The ship mock operation center was up several levels and map north of here.

Which way was north? He looked around.

He familiarized himself with the next few places on the map in each direction and then went where he thought north was.

The next area through the wide tunnel was ticketing. People were both paying for cargo to be loaded on cargo transport ships or buying tickets for the passenger ships currently at the center.

This was the west door. He came back through and went through the north door. After flying through another long tunnel, he realized he had made another mistake. This was south: lobby, restaurants and bars.

He flapped his way back through the tunnel, all the way across area I again and through the northern tunnel.

He had to go up several times to get high enough in the space center, for whatever meaning height had in orbit.

There was one tunnel up here in the supply center. There were several large bulk goods stores here, which sold to ship operators.

There were seven people with badges floating around on the next level.

"Where are you headed? This is the weaponry center. You must be a licensed captain, passing the weapons responsibility test to be here."

It was hard to take a man seriously when he was floating alongside Adam, but his tone was menacing.

"Sorry about that. I'll go back down."

The man watched Adam as he went back down the tunnel.

He explored. There were hubs with no apparent use, hubs for gatherings of humans, and for Ethereals. One was a woman's travelers club, and he had noticed most of the humans were men. The space center was about 90% human, 10% Ethereals, but that was still a lot of Ethereals in one place.

He steadily tried to keep an axis of coordinates and directions in his head, but checked when he reached a map in the roman numeral VII area.

He had gone down several hundred meters instead of up. But at least his other coordinates were close.

If he went through this tunnel, and then that tunnel, and two more, then he found a nice long straight shot upward several tunnels in a row.

He tried to keep his plan in his mind, and flew, flapping with more efficiency as he was continually practicing.

After the five rising tunnels, he entered a small hub which had four doors including the one which went back down.

Three of the doors had the character D on a placard. One had SMOT.

Ship Mock Operations Tester.

Relieved, he flew through the tunnel, which ended firmed at a closed door, which he bumped into. Pushing away from the door, but then grabbing it at the last minute, Adam turned the handle, and was rewarded with a mighty roar of sound.

What was inside the door was loud, and a wave of heat rushed towards him.

He peered inside the doorway.

There were running paths of conduit throughout the mid sized room. Some of it looked very hot, even glowing.

"How do I do this!" shouted someone inside.

"I'm supposed to find my way here. If this is the Ship Mock Operations Center," he said.

"Its mockery, that's for sure. Close the door!"

The speaker was a lady in her mid fourties. She wore a thick jacket with a badge: "Senior Candidate, Cargo Ship Program."

Adam came inside the room and closed the door.

"This is the advanced testing center that you won't be able to access normally, until you pass the basic tests. Presumably you are the new candidate, doing the navigation test? Well, that's the first navigation test."

She smiled.

Adam nodded. "Yeah, I got lost a few, well several times, but eventually found my way."

"You've got a lot of testing ahead of you youngster," she said. "I went through everything you have in front of you and more. There were so many candidates for the second human ship ever launched. But I got the position. Now I'm shifting to running a new model of cargo ship."

"What do I do now?" Adam asked.

"The code word is albatross. Find Coordinator Jenkins and give him that word."

"Nice to meet you," Adam said, and he was off.

Albatross, he repeated to himself, as he flitted through caverns and tunnels without stopping to consider where he was. He retraced his steps perfectly back to the I room with the first map, and he did it in record time.

Albatross…

They symbolized the rare or even unattainable. He had a hunch.

Tunnel and hub whirred past him, except for once when he got a little bruise from scrapping past a wall at high speed. A little closer and he would have been beaned.

He rushed back once more the way he came and burst out into the Ship Mock Operations Tester.

Coordinator Jenkins was with the woman who had been testing. He must have hidden himself when Adam showed up.

"I thought so," Adam said as he heard and saw Jenkins talking to the test taker.

"Well done. A few have caught on immediately, but that was pretty good. After Navigation sense testing, is the Puzzle Center. You will study a lot of things on paper which have been tabulated by our best computers."

"So I just find the center on my own?" he asked.

"Think of it as an ongoing nav-sense challenge," Jenkins said.

Twenty minutes later he joined four other testers. One of them introduced himself as an active pilot refreshing his knowledge of Ethereal etiquette.

His first puzzles were little orbital mechanics brain-benders. Golf balls with little rocket thrusters that could accelerate in any direction.

The orbit puzzles were numbered from 1 to 10, and the 10th one modeled the rocketry of Earth lifters. When did you launch the lifter, and with what propellant. The other problems used spirit power to provide thrust, and it was mostly a choice of direction and intensity to solve them.

#6, #7 and #10 stymied him. #9 was a difficult nut which he finally wormed his way through.

A new set of problems concerned operating a stellar sail, which was like Earth's sailboats but the moving fluid was aether instead of air. They all presented like this:

#11 Your passengers have an inept spiritual balance that you didn't catch before leaving the origin planet's sphere of influence. The natural spiritual power of those onboard only contributes a total of 1 foot / second / second. You need to travel widdershins, against the aether wind at a power of 500 foot / sec. What angles do you tack your sail in, relative to the imaginary line tangent to the line between the sun and your ship, in order to maintain optimal efficiency.

These were pretty tough because he didn't know some of the terms. He tried to picture this situation and went back to his high school geometry and trigonometry.

Some of the numbers were nearly meaningless with the contrast in scale between 1 foot / second^2 and 500 foot / sec.

He decided on 45 degrees and -45 degrees but he wasn't sure how sails operated exactly.

It was going to be a grueling period that seemed a lot like his national exams back home.

Council and Spirits
"Do you mean to tell this council that the old ones with you knew of a planet unknown to us and did not pass this information on?" said the Eldest councilor.

Suniya sighed. "It is a part of their story they do not want remembered. And they never informed me of it until the prophecy led me to investigate."

She loved the council, but she also considered her old souls part of her.

They had been released to take the outer spots of the council's circular chamber.

"Old ones, please come forward," said the orderly.

The ghostly beings of past unrequited hearts spiraled into the center of the chamber. It wasn't just her own. The Knight of Pacifica and the Knight of Clouds had arrived with their own.

"What do you know of what now imperils this planet, which we have just now heard of?"

Her own two eldest, along with one of Cloud's spoke up.

"We have tried to forget this Co-Settled World. But nothing can lie dormant forever, not when it was left as it was. The Ethereals on that planet lived in the central city, but at the end, the Humans threatened us, and most of us left, but I can't swear that everyone got out."

"Just recently, Suniya had heard from the Prophetess, and began to look with her spirit scope in many new places. We knew it was only a matter of time before she discovered the world.

Suniya released us every few days to stretch our wings, as it were, and we stole time from our stretching to look to the planet."

Her second eldest said, "Years ago, I had stolen a glance at the planet, but I know it was not so vile as the state it is in today."

Isaeti, reasonable, well-spoken Isaeti, spoke up. "It seems as if we didn't see this deception because your spirits were already so charred by what they have gone through. Suniya, do you believe that these two of yours are compromised?"

"Wisdom learned from experience," she said. "I can't deny that kind of aid."

"We must take a trip to the telescope. Knight Suniya, will you re-align your spirit scope so as to show us?"

Isaeti disagreed, "The untrained, and we are all untrained, are unable to truly perceive with the spirit scope. We must trust in one of the knights. At least Knight Pacifica could confirm Suniya's observations."

The council was in a closed session, allowing only the councilors and those they invited to come in.

Suniya could see the wisdom and concern of someone outside the chambers. Recognition.

"I believe the Prophet has something to say," Suniya continued.

"Indeed," said Isaeti.

"Please, if you would let her in, Orderly."

The Prophet was one of the special titles of her people, like Knight. Suniya had spoken to this prophet a few months ago, which set her on this search in the first time. She had spoke with the Prophet only a few times in total, and usually she didn't understand what was spoken.

"Stay on Miarahaba. The 1st facet will come." was the last thing the Prophet had said to her.

If the Knight's ghosts carried the past from their very memories, the Prophet carried the future, but how she accessed it was unclear.

"Prophet," said Isaeti, "what would you tell this council?"

The Prophet spoke, "You cannot send loose sand to the Moaning World. Only the Diamond will pierce through. See the first facet is arriving soon, and the second and third are already on Miarahaba. Seek the other four first, before you cast your mercy on that planet."

"I'm not sure what this brings the council." said one of the councilors. His spirit rang out with skepticism, even more than his words announced.

The Prophets tone was different when she spoke again, "I can only speak what I've been told. But I have spoken with Knight Suniya before. If you must send a response, she must stay here. "

One of the elder ghosts spoke up, "We have sold many diamonds and precious gems to the humans, because they value them highly. What diamond could still be on Miarahaba? Seven facets, not all of them are here? This makes no sense."

One of the councilors who hadn't spoke up yet did so, "Prophecies are unclear things. Do not think to read them plainly. We don't know what the Diamond Facets are exactly. Perhaps they are special spiritual technology? It is unknown."

The Prophet spoke up again, "You can be sure the facets are ordered, so that there is a first, second and on through the seventh. Some will not appear to be part of the Diamond, and yet they are irreplaceable.

Isaeti spoke up, "If our own Knight can not go, then the Knight of Pacifica and the Knight of Clouds must lead a team of their choosing to provide aid in this newly found world."

The Pacifica Knight nodded, "If my fellow knight of Clouds and I could absorb these elder spirits from your Knight, then we will be well informed as to what we find. One of my own ghosts is quite old, but never knew or heard of this planet, I will lend her to your knight in return."

"I will lend one of my own," said the Knight of Clouds.

"And your choice, Old Ones? Are you in agreement?" asked Isaeti.

Suniya's departing ghosts both agreed. "We must provide aid to this forgotten world."

The arriving ghosts of Clouds and Pacifica likewise agreed, "We have heard of the Knight Suniya, and long to learn from her flock."

"Then I would put this decision to a verbal veto. Is there any who would object to this plan? Within the bounds of the emergency fund, these two knights may raise their mission. Two ships will be authorized for release, one to each of the knights."

The councilors, all twelve of them, were silent.

"Then the measure has passed. Please inform the council prior to your departure."

The meeting broke up shortly after, and Suniya released her control over the spirits, letting the ghosts talk from within her innermost.

Crowded. Pushing Crushing.
Exploring. Seeing.

Ah, now I see.
And we see.

The ghosts, bolstered by two but also reduced by two, were jostling about in her innermost. The two were trying to find their perch, metaphorically speaking.

Pacifica's ghost had passed on before the Ethereals ever visited Earth. Her generation had begun to speculate about the Humans and what the increasing darkness of their world meant. As Humans grew more advanced, beginning to create the first empires and kings, horrible forms of torture and slavery discolored the planet by spirit perception.

Clouds' ghost was a more recent one, having lived during the age of sporadic travel and trade with Earth.

She had died on Earth but was collected by a Knight who was still on Earth.

Suniya could have returned home, but instead she wanted to stretch her wings after all this heavy stuff. She ascended into the sky in one smooth motion, rising above the mist, and heading straight to the ocean.

The gliders were small feathered animals who could leap high into the air and coast, soaring on thermals and descending on cool drafts. They couldn't control their movement much at all, but soaked up the sunrays during their long flights.

Earth vegetation couldn't grow on Miarahaba, since the mist blocked out the sun, but geothermal vents powered great blooms of simple life, while soaring, floating, flying or gliding life lived above the mists in the sky.

It was an hour flight out to see the sea, and 90 minutes to return, because of the wind direction. Suniya was tired and yet relaxed by the time she returned. She wasn't supposed to go to this found world, yet she wanted to do something. What would her being here accomplish?

But she would wait, nonetheless.

Mutt
The "Mutt" was an Osprey class spaceship modified for initial real deal training purposes. The student pilot station's controls could be completely overridden and locked out, or partially to the extent that any given function could be handed off to the student or the Pilot in Command (PIC).

His PIC was a Senior pilot with hundreds of flights in the Osprey class. "Flip" Johnson had that nickname because he could flip a ship faster than anyone. To flip it, you need to unload the current passengers and their effects, receive payment, run through the after-flight checklist, identify passengers and perform routine passenger checks, boarding, command authorization for release, and then the slow push away from the Space Center until you could slip into your primary trajectory start.

Adam had read about all of these things. Four hours of reading a day, 4 hours of written exams, 2 hours of situational analysis (sitsense), 2 hours of orbital analysis (orbitsense), and the rest of the time finding his way to his next station.

He had to report in as soon as he woke up, to chart his sleeping and prevent sleep deprivation. He was required to spend at least an hour a day in one of the gathering places, to socialize with pilots and people of all sorts.

He had spent two weeks, gradually pulling up his exams in the subjects he had studied, until new subjects were added to this repertoire. And that was without any financial study subjects. His exam givers all said he had a world of study left when it came to the financial side of things.

It seemed hard to believe that there could be so much financial when there had been so much more to do with the ship and every conceivable element of its operation. How could he cram more into his brain? But he tried.

Now he was on his first real deal flight in a real ship, albeit a training model.

One of the Ethereals on board was able to send a sort of spiritual telegram back to Numat on Earth, and Numat was able to send a regular telegram back to his mom and dad and Wesiinh. Apparently, Numat had been asking about him by this spirit "telegram" for some time.

This training flight was out to Lunar orbit and back. Only a 2 day journey there and 3 days back by contrast with most trips which took a couple of weeks up to a month.

"There are a few bits of ship technology that we can't make on our own, and one of them is the PF analyzer, aka Persons Flying Analyzer. As any Ethereal will tell you, we all have a spiritual measurement or sensory attunement which they can observe naturally. Though our Spiritual Philosophies are not yet sophisticated enough to understand how a person's measurement gives way to force when properly channeled, it's something a fact that it does. We've covered the idea of having force applied to a ship in your written exams, but we haven't covered the unique aspects of your personal spirit measurement interacting with mine, for example.

The best way I can describe it is, if our measurements are too similar in character, it's like pointing a sail directly with the wind and observing that there is no force produced. The difference being this interaction happens between each pair of people onboard. If there were three of us onboard, your sail would be experiencing a sort of average between your sail against my wind, against the third person's wind, and against the baseline character of the Aether itself, which shifts depending on cycles we don't fully understand yet. The baseline dominates on a small ship, but the more people onboard, the more the baseline is washed away by the person-to-person interaction.

So as a result, even in our best attempts at managing the people we bring onboard a larger ship, we can only match the performance of a 3 or 4 person ship. And that takes a lot of Ethereal presence to evaluate this Aether compatibility."

Adam stood close to Senior Pilot Johnson, as he kept motioning for them to get uncomfortably close so the bank of mounted camera like devices could take a spiritual picture of their combination.

His arm was pressed against Johnson's when the Pilot finally moved.

"Done," he said, and walked up to the bank of Ethereal equipment.

He pulled out a tray which held a large piece of paper which was still dripping some kind of ink-like fluid.

Johnson looked at the paper, which was nearly completely black.

He pulled out a nearby drawer, by first lifting it up until it unlatched and it was free.

"Don't leave these drawers open, or you'll be paying a fortune in restocking things."

He took a long narrow piece of paper from the drawer. "This is a gradient chart. The more black, the better."

"I've received information about your own measurement, as well as my own. I already knew we would have a very good PF report. You never know, we may even set the Training Unit record for Earth Orbit to Lunar Orbit."

This was the little storage room behind and off to the right side of the pilot station. Directions onboard were considered thus: Pilot station side is front, force relief valves are rear. The left and right are defined relative to that preferred orientation, looking towards the Pilot Station.

Up is towards the Pilot / Ops level, down is towards the Passenger level. The Osprey is a "low-support" passenger transport ship. It supports passengers who are among the lucky 6% that can breathe aether.

Adam's head was full of facts, and he couldn't stop reciting them.

He had daydreams about ship layouts, and what to do in a low spirit-force situation. How to calculate the time to destination going with the Aether, and without, and sometimes if force was lacking, it was better to go all the way around, orbiting the sun once to end up at the destination.

You still needed a relative difference in velocity, or delta-v, in order to catch up to your destination, which was also orbiting in the direction of the Aether wind. Excess delta-v bled off according to a formula, which had different terms, but all human and Aether piloted ships operated in the Medium velocity regimen. The slow regiment considered orbital bodies at less than 5 foot / sec relative to Aether wind. The High regimen was for the theoretical prospects of an orbital body reaching the speed of sound in aethereal medium. It was proven that this speed existed, but they didn't yet have a firm estimate.

Since the moon and Earth were both orbiting around the sun in close proximity, their velocities were almost identical, except that the Moon made its 17 day orbit around the Earth, while it was making the larger orbit around the sun.

He woke, startled out of his daydreaming, as he didn't understand what Senior Pilot Johnson told him, but it was something.

"Hmm, sorry."

"Erratic throttle. You were about to send us into a real nasty spin. I'm taking directional controls. Our relative velocity is higher than the planning sheet you wrote up. Of course, you were working off the average PF for two people."

"I got distracted. Tired, head full of new things. I mean, it's exciting, but when my dreams are filled with orbital calculations, it's odd."

"It's important to pick up on these things quickly. I'll have you calculate your own return. With this speed, we need to disconnect."

Flip pulled the hat tunnel off his head, and Adam did the same. The steady acceleration that had pulled them back in their seats now let up, and the slow resistance of aether to their motion would gradually slow them down.

"The plan called for 4 more hours of being plugged in, but we have overran our speed plan. Between them was a sloping navigation table, like a drafting table, but with two slide rules and drafting paper and two rulers and pencils.

The circular slide rule was large, with four rings, and two sets of modifying connected rings.

The uppermost area of the ship was a small dome, accessible by a skinny tunnel up into the attic-like structure where you could see half of your angles. The dome had line markings for meridian and right ascension. Getting positional angles for origin and destination, as well as solid angle for the apparent size of the destination, you could get a pretty good fix on where you were.

"You go up in the dome, and I'll rotate the ship so you can get a fix on Earth."

He took a piece of paper from the navigation table and held it in one hand as he flapped his way up the narrow ladder.

As long as the ship didn't move suddenly, he wouldn't smash into the hull and wreck the pencil and paper he held.

He laid the paper flat against the lower hull and pressed his palm against it until it momentarily stopped floating back up.

Flip rotated the ship, and Adam pushed off against the floor so he wouldn't slide into the far hull.

After a few seconds, the rate of rotation slowed and stopped.

"I'll show you how to safely do an orientation change later."

Navigating by Moon and Earth's light.
Adam dreamt of hiking in the hilly forest with Wesiinh near her house. Setting up camp in the southern part of Odawa, alongside one of the local rivers. Flipping over each other's canoes.

He woke up startled, foggy, unaware of where he was. "Wesiinh, we don't have to head home for another hour."

He was shocked out of his fog by a man's voice: "Wake up, it's time to let the rookie pilot run the show."

"Flip" Johnson. Memories filed back in, but all the technical knowledge he seemed filled with the day before was far away and distant.

"Flip" climbed into one of the sleeping nets, and shut his eyes, immediately.

He really was alone on this one.

First he floated up and over from the passenger level, up to the operations and then up the dome. The desolate moon loomed below him, but Earth was out of sight of his dome, somewhere on the other side of the ship.

Floating back down the tunnel, he fussed with the tunnel hat, which connected him to the chain of piping which used the spirit force to push the ship forward, and also to adjust the ship's heading. He turned the force counterclockwise, causing the ship to start spinning, and then stopped his rotation just in time.

He went up to check and had gone 380 degrees RA instead of 300. His declination was off by 15 degrees up now too.

He was 80 too far, so he needed 280 degrees RA, and 15 degrees down.

He zipped back down to the chair, plugged in, made another manuever and was off. He needed to get the right angle so that both Earth and the Moon were visible.

The third time was close, but not quite. His forth attempt made him wonder when Flip would come running up here to dismiss him. His fifth attempt, at last, was not perfect but had both Earth and Moon in the view.

He wrote down the spherical position and solid angle for both Earth and Moon on the fluttering piece of paper. He was winded, but he kept going anyway.

He waited five minutes, watching nervously to see if Earth would fall out of the dome's view, but at the last second, he was able to record its position, and the Moon's again.

Headed back down the tunnel for what seemed like the thousandth time, he took the tattered page, and copied its numbers to a fresh sheet.

*snap* went the pencil lead. He took another pencil and finished copying the numbers.

You could define a coordinate system based on the ship's orientation. He knew this much. There was the spherical ascension, declination system which he had written his numbers in, but he needed a cartesian system.

Eraser handy, he proceeded to work out the transformation with the slide rule, moving it back and forth, double checking, and he fearfully rechecked everything again when he had completed Earth's first position, in ship relative x,y,z coordinates.

He erased numbers and rewrote them until the paper was almost destroyed, but at last he had completed his numbers for positions during the first check and then the second check. Transferring these to a new sheet, He took the difference, getting the full cartesian velocity, and then calculating speed.

Flip had modified the ship's orbital future while he slept.

The ship would be bound to orbit the Moon forever if he didn't do something. There were heuristics to prevent having to calculate the full nasty truth.

The ship was moving while he calculated, so his truth was getting off. He quickly scrambled to put together a flight plan as best he could. He had to stop and rack his brain several times, but finally, he estimated a correction for his time planning, and calculated a quick 30 minute burn, and then a 3 hour burn based on his spirit force, which Flip had previously calculated from their journey out to the moon.

The 30 minute burn would kick his farthest distance from the moon out much further, and then when the moon was at right angles between him and the Earth, the 30 minute burn would establish the proper return trajectory. He would have to set adjustments to reach the Space Center when he got into close Earth orbit.

He put on the hat to start the 30 minute burn and turned the timer dial in front of his pilot station. He relaxed again.

It might take a long time, but he should always be able to make his way back. Part of his Moon orbit was with the Aether, and part against it, which made a sub-solar orbit like this more challenging to calculate.

He put the technical stuff on hold though to consider Wesiinh. On one hand, he knew she was on a different path, and hadn't hesitated to pursue that path regardless of what he wanted. He was pursuing his own way. But on the other hand, she was his best friend and girlfriend before all this happened.

Between trying to find a place to live and stipend to make it in England, and then all of the constant trials and business with this SIT program, he had not had any time to consider and reflect on how it ended with them.

His path was ascending higher and higher, whatever it took, but would he find any true friends along the way, or only temporary acquaintances?

He wanted to be there to encourage Wesiinh in her path, to help her go higher and higher, whether in medicine or local politics. He couldn't follow her, but he would have cheered her on every step of the way if he could. Who would she be, and for that matter, who would he be, if he returned home someday.

The dial buzzed softly as it slid past its time limit and Adam took off the hat.

He had absorbed so much so quickly, that he feared he would lose a lot of this knowledge if he wasn't in the thick of it daily.

He adjusted the "Mutt"'s orientation so that he could judge the Earth's position and size. When its size reached the critical solid angle, he needed to check its position and make a correcting burn if it was way off, otherwise wait until orbit to make corrections. Whether correcting or not he would have to begin his main 3 hour burn then.

You could say time passed slowly, but also that it passed quickly. Both seemed right. It dragged on as he waited for the Earth to get slightly bigger in the window, but once that moment passed, it seemed like it had been an instant.

What was he doing? This waiting around was something he needed to get better at or his drifting mind would lose its sharp edge.

He needed to course correct but he couldn't recalculate now, so he used the first order approximation which he had calculated before. For each degree off course, set your burn angle a third degree in the opposite direction. He was 4 degrees off course RA, and 1 degree declination, so he tried to make a miniscule adjustment rightward and downward.

How successful he was, he couldn't be sure, but the ship was accelerating towards Earth now.

It was remarkable that just three weeks ago he was taking the exam for the International Relations program at Oxford. Because Wesiinh wanted to go there, and he wanted to follow along. He was glad that Numat had given the nudge to put him on this path. Rather than just studying Ethereals or other Earth nations, or even studying spaceship engineering, he was glad to actual put all this knowledge into effect.

When he had the money to buy books of his own, he wanted to spend some of this in between time studying and learning more about every aspect of the pilot's job. The craft, the environment (space) and the market (passengers).

Who pays a pilot to fly to another planet, why, and at what cost? His financial education had not yet begun.

It was some long period later that he realized he had never set the dials for the three hour time. He could measure the time, but he hadn't measured it before. He needed to estimate his new orbital situation.

Pulling the hat off, he unbuckled and scrambled up to the dome. Paper, oh yeah paper.

He worked with furious intensity to record and analyze the position data once again.

His current speed was one again well above intended speed. Last time it had been because he and Flip went off of average PF power. But he had used his own updated PF numbers. It was his lack of precision about burn time.

He had burned for about 4 1/2 hours instead of 3. An opposite course burn of 1 1/2 hour would do the trick.

To make sure he had completely flipped the "Mutt"'s orientation, he checked in the dome, and then made a small adjustment.

This time he remembered the dial. But non-linearity of aether turbulent flow meant an hour and a half would more than counteract the extra burn. He didn't know the magnitude of this affect, so he put in 1 hour 25 minutes.

When he reached Earth orbit, Flip was back awake and took control. "When approaching final orbital maneuvering, you have to go by feel. You don't have time to calculate, you could slam into another ship or the buoy at one of the Aether worlds, or the Space Center here. That's when real time nav is important."

Mutt first slowed down another 10% and descended into the altitude of the Space Center, but it was 90 degrees clockwise around the Earth, so he did something else he had not trained Adam on.

"The reverse force mode only routes 10% of available forward into the forward relief tubes. When you learn about weapon systems, you'll learn NOT to use reverse mode when firing weapons. Reverse mode will require maintenance if you overuse it. Think of it as a last second tool to suddenly arrest your speed during docking. And also, a way to quickly descend and thereby speed up. By slowing down, your trajectory is descending, resulting in a faster route which catches up to the higher and slower target, in this case the space center. Speed back up before reaching the target, leaving only a small gap to make up by direct force.

"Further away means you need reverse to go faster. Up close is the normal way your mind works, forward force brings you closer. Remember the distinction. If you go slower at your current altitude you will go faster at your eventual altitude. Emphasis on eventual, if you'll be there before eventual, then proceed normally.

This forward is closer attitude is the exception. It only applies during final approach to docking.

As he was talking Flip had navigated them in towards the Space Center, and finally slipped into the docking bay, and suddenly stopped all velocity and nestled in with a clang.

"Reverse force, critical for final stop when docking."

The Flight Loop
After Senior Pilot "Flip" Johnson's first approach and docking, Adam had joined the flight loop, an endless series of ship training, which happened in between all the normal Space Center arrivals and departures.

Each iteration of the loop, he would find his way down to Space Control. Then get authorization for a specific launch time. Wait for an emergency runner to tell him to abort (telegraphs would be in space, someday, they said). If there was no emergency runner, he then left the docking bay, releasing the clasps manually.

This was a difficult job requiring a lot of force, but Johnson made it look easy. The clasps snapped shut in response to a slight force for a ship, but for a human's strength, they weren't opened back up easily.

With the clasps opened, hopefully quickly, slide away from the docking slip on reverse force. Execute a turn based on the docking bay's exit angle. Each bay had a right ascension, declination set of angles to leave on.

Once you get out of the way of the Space Center's business, then you adjust course to head in the direction of the Center's orbit of the Earth. By providing reverse power, you descend to a lower altitude, reaching a higher final space, slipping ahead and away from the Space Center. After coasting far enough ahead, you plan your return. Provide forward force until you are ascending to an altitude higher and slower than the Center.

Then you slip back into a close approach at the Space Center's altitude and prepare final approach, using force and reverse force and being observant to find a docking bay that is unoccupied and will continue to be unoccupied. Finally, you direct and maneuver the ship to close in on the docking bay, correct your relative orientation to match the bay's orientation, approach the bay and provide full reverse force moments before docking to prevent damaging ship or bay.

You could do this 20 times in a day. More than that really, but the training team didn't see the benefit in providing even more, plus it provided complications and dangers for the pilots and control team that were operating non-training flights.

Flip rode along with the first days 20, even correcting his approach on half of them that first day. The 2nd day was a gut check, completely solo flight, even if it was within Earth orbit, near the Center.

The 3rd day got easier, and the 4th and 5th day were settling in, acting like a veteran loop pilot.

"This is what happens when the lifter needs to return to Earth to lift another crew up," said Coordinator Jenkins.

The lifter bays were different and had a high-powered release system. Adam felt the thud in his chest as he and another descending pilot were catapulted away from the Center against its orbital path.

"First descent?" asked the pilot.

"Yep," Adam said.

"You probably know already, but the lifter's only traveling a little slower than the center. We will be orbiting, gradually catching actual air, slowing down, orbiting again. About 3 hours before we land."

"How do they know where we'll land?"

"The royal navy has a presence around the world, and our launch window was timed to try to splashdown in the north Atlantic."

They couldn't see where they were at, inside the silver tube of the lifter. They could feel the resistance slowing them down when they reached the lowest point of each orbit, but Adam wasn't exactly sure how many more orbits remained.

He was sure they had one more orbit in them when the roaring sound died down again. He had thought they'd ascended above the atmosphere again, but instead the sudden splash indicated they had landed somewhere in water, presumably an ocean.

The only sound after they submerged, rebounded and submerged again before recovering into gently bobbing on the sea was the gentle sound of rain.

Adam drifted off to sleep, thinking about Lake Michigan, as the sound of the ocean filled his dream.

A loud clang woke him up sometime later. He could hear a winch pulling the lifter canister up.

Finally, after even more waiting the sealed hatch swung open.

"HMS Superb welcomes you. You almost landed on top of us. Only 20 miles off course."

Adam asked, "So how long until the Superb returns to port?"

"New pilot, huh kid?" said the captain. "HMS Superb is slated to return to port in 3 months. But you pilots will make it home by a different method."

The captain wasn't kidding about a different method. The little outboard boat made a steady rumble as the boat pilot sent to operate the thing poured on the power.

The vessel smelled differently than the coal powered battleship. The "gasoline" which it used had a weird odor which was almost pleasant.

It was raining and the fog had rolled in as they approached land.

It was tiresome to have to once again transition. From lifter to big ship to little boat now to hansom and southeast towards London.

It was a dreary long, day and night before he made it to the Crown Plaza Hotel in London.

His fellow lifter resident had diverted to his home in Dover.

Adam had two whole days before the party with rich investors, so he thought for once, sleeping in would be possible.

The bellman rapped on his door three times before he stumbled to open it.

"I was asked to remind you that you have a 10 o'clock appointment with the Haberdasher. 107 West Eaton."

"What time is it now?"

"9 o'clock," said the man.

Time seemed to blend and shift for Adam, and he continued from the endlessness of the day before by rushing to get dressed and heading to get new outfits.

When asked how he was supposed to pay for these fancy and very expensive clothes, the Haberdasher simply said, "The amount owed to us will be assessed against Adam Ryan, Investment Limited. To say it baldly, your eventual investors will pay for the suit, and if I might say so, the nicer the suit, the more investment you will receive."

He had never worn a white suit, such as this one, with pleated shirt, coat and slacks all in purest white, and only the black shoes and bow tie in contrast. The cufflinks were gold, and the watch was purchased to go with the outfit from the finest watch maker in London.

"You are a big deal now. Best to look it. The linchpin of an operation involving tens of millions of pounds, so it is to be hoped. Consider Fulwright and Sons to be on consignment for your next event, sir."

He had never seen more than a thousand pounds, and that was extravagant, when father had saved up to establish a section of his business.

Numat came down from Oxford and was at the home of a wealthy SIT program sponsor in London.

By the time Adam returned to the hotel, he had a message from Numat. "Be outside, 4:30 this afternoon. Our friendly host would like to give you a few pointers before you enter the financial bloodstream."

He figured he would leave his new suit to the actual party with all the investors, so he cleaned up nice, bathing, grooming and getting himself ready. He knew he was missing out on a lot of the fancies of London, but nonetheless he did his best with the old suit to look good.

The carriage that showed up outside the hotel had a well-heeled servant. Even the servant's uniform had brass buttons. The driver nodded to him, but otherwise kept to himself as the carriage wove through the streets. How many wealthy men could afford to invest in a new man on a 10 million pounds investment.

The black iron gates of the manor opened smoothly, not creaking at all. Adam marveled at the lawn which was vast and all cut down to only an inch high carpet of grass.

The house had an odd look to it, with an outer archway, and large wooden posts painted white.

Adam waited outside while the servant went inside. After a long wait, the servant returned and beckoned him in.

Numat and his host were in the sitting room.

The spiral designs on the rocking chairs impressed him, and the quality wood of their construction. Adam knew a little of homemade craftsmanship, because Wesiinh knew a lot and had told him about it. These would be impressive even to her.

"Thank you for inviting me here," he said. "And it's good to see you again Numat."

"Will Sargent. I agreed with Numat that it would be best to review your situation privately before you are introduced to all of the investors. I'm happy to get to know new pilots, even though I don't have any capital for new ventures as of now."

Numat said, "Will is very good at giving the honest truth, which all the serious investors will know, but flattery will make you think they don't."

"Before we get into all that, there's some preparations you'll want to make before Saturday," said Will. "Get a solicitor, preferably someone at Wilford, or one of the other Financial advisory firms."

"Wilford," Numat said. "They have handled the last 3 pilots to get funded. You have to negotiate well, and you won't know how to do it without a good solicitor."

"2nd, get a copy of the Registered Investors Factbook. You can get it from the London branch of SIT. Mark up the factbook with pencil. Based on investment profile, who are your go to investors, aim to write down 30 to 40 investors with significant funding availability."

"3rd, and this is very important, get to the 12th street pub. Ask for the backroom, and speak to as many investors as you can. You're primary purpose here is to find your managing partner. Your investors may prefer a managing partner, but try to find a MP that you can work with, and who will fight for you. You will have to rely on the MP while you are off conducting the business enterprise which they are funding in the first place. Avoiding distractions and interference is critical."

During dinner, Numat raised the question: "What do you think Adam Ryan Enterprises advantages and disadvantages are from an investment perspective?"

Will spoke at length: "If you are an investor looking to invest in a pilot with many years of experience as an airship pilot, ferryman or railroad conductor, hoping to reduce risk by relying on someone with a stock of transferable knowledge, Adam Ryan is not the investment to choose.

"No prior experience is one mark against the enterprise. Another is lack of familiarity with the Ethereal people and their Worlds. Adam Ryan has never been off Earth until just a few weeks ago, and only met an Ethereal within a similar time frame.

"Adam does not have good heuristics for flight positioning and approach. His touch is lacking with the navigational controls. He is not the technical wizard you may be looking for.

"In the immediate term, Adam would be one of the worst choices for pilot, however, Adam's incredible learning curve shows his ability to adapt and recover in difficult situations is remarkable. Adam has failed and immediately found a way to bounce back and succeed. For routine passenger traffic, Adam will not be your best man, but for dangerous and unpredictable situations, his very lack of experience helps him adapt to unusual circumstances.

"Adam is consistent, even when his ability to handle the assignment is lacking. He will continue to put in a full effort pursuit to adapt and learn how to complete the job.

"I expect that Adam will be wait-listed. There will be enough desire to continue funding Adam's training until such time he can be re-evaluated."

London
The Prince Room in the Crown Plaza Hotel was large enough to hold a big cocktail party. With white crystal chandeliers and brass candle holders, it was a shiny penny. Adam saw it as exceedingly fancy.

Will Sargent had recommended he hire 3 servers, so he did. The advertisement went out to all the registered investors of London, Oxford and elsewhere.

A violin quartet set up in the corner and began to play favorite pieces of the investors.

There were all the elements of a great Investment party, but no Investors showed up. It was 7:30, half an hour after hors d'ouevres were supposed to be delivered from the Crown Plaza's kitchen. Two and a half hours since cocktail hour began.

Adam was dressed up in this suit, but he was ready to take the suit, the hors d'oevres, everything, and leave it behind. Making a good first impression was one thing, but pretending to be some well-heeled, sophisticated man was not him.

He took off his sport coat and laid it over the back of one of the chairs in the middle of the hall. He had kept one table in the Prince Room, so he could talk with potential investors in detail.

Was it possible for him to just go back up to the Space Center and study, practice and fly from there. He would practice every facet of his piloting 12 hours a day if he didn't have worry about this investment stuff.

He was helping the servants to put away cocktail glasses (because why not, and there were so many clean glasses to carry back). When he came back into the Prince room with them, he saw two men had entered.

"We're potentially investors. We just heard your investment party is tonight. Is that right?" said one of them.

They were both tall, both wore tattered suits, and they held to his word with rapt attention.

"I was closing up," Adam said. "Unfortunately, no one came."

"We are brothers. Steve and Joseph King. I said to Joseph, what are the chances that a Lakes man is setting up a Ship Investment Trust? We had to come hear your story."

"Please, go ahead, sit down and I'll share it. It's all a little bitter at the moment. Most Trusts need at least 10 investors to cover the capital requirements."

They sat down and took from the servers vermouth and bitters. Adam kept his glass of sparkling water, which looked like a fancy alcoholic drink, and kept him from having to answer questions about why he wasn't drinking.

He told Steve and Joseph his story, from the day late deadline at Oxford to the descent from the Space Center. He didn't care to retell the boring stuff about getting a tailored suit and setting up the party.

"So when you were up there, on the far side of the moon, you had to compute your way home by locating Earth and Moon. That's much like a sailing ship, only in three dimensions now. But I'm curious, what kind of speed can you put out?"

Adam told them, from his expanding storehouse of pilot knowledge, "high speeds are dangerous for the ship, any dust or random tiny things in space can damage the ship if it's going too fast. My acceleration was somewhere between 10 and 20 feet per second per second, with another pilot on board."

Joseph said, "Can you explain that? I'm sure, we aren't registered investors yet, so we haven't read through all the technical stuff."

"The Spirit drive. It's how all spaceships operate. Imagine wearing a hat that becomes a tunnel of fabric which connects into the innards of the ship and is routed through conduit and ducting until it reaches the back of the ship and exits as spiritual force, which pushing the ship forward, or it the less powerful reverse mode, pushes it back. It's a truly magical power supply. Better than coal or horse power. It requires no fuel, nor any exhalant."

"What affects how much force this spiritual force produces?" Steve asked.

"If it was just the pilot onboard, it's roughly the same for any pilot. But when you have passengers, you have to make sure they aren't too similar in spirit, or the power will be reduced. For example, I don't know how an Ethereal would see the two of you, but if your spiritual 'color', for lack of a better word, is very similar, then Steve, you wouldn't produce much spiritual force with Joseph onboard, and likewise.

My trainer pilot had a very different spiritual 'color' than I did, which meant our force when we wore the hat was quite large, as high as perhaps 20 feet / second / second."

"What do you want to do, if you did get the Ship you are hoping for? What kind of passengers would you choose, and where would your destinations be?" asked Joseph.

"Anywhere!" Adam said. "I want to see every planet, every sunrise. Work with every passenger and learn from them. See the sights and fly the routes that no one else wants to fly. I just want to fly."

"You could come with us, to the Registration Meeting. Help us get registered, and we'll do whatever we can to get your ship aloft," Kevin said.

"How do you plan to keep your passengers happy? What's your sales pitch to a passenger?" Joseph said

"As long as the flight is in progress, I won't give up, and I will fly till I can't fly anymore. And if you can't find any other pilot to fly somewhere, get me, I'll fly there."

"We like it! We just need to get registered and then we, well we may just invest."

The Venture Begins

Solicitor: James Fulwright, Fulwright and Sons.

Subject to the Contribution Schedule herein, the Active Partner will hold 4,000 shares of common stock in the Petoskey Trading Investment Trust. The Active Partner must make financial contributions to the Trust according to said schedule in order to maintain control of said shares common stock. Late payment in excess of 30 days will lead to dissolution of Active Partner's shares.

Holdings:

S. King - 483,000 shares
J. King - 483,000 shares
C. Bradley - 30,000 shares
A. Ryan - 4,000 shares
=====================
1,000,000 shares

Salaries:

A. Ryan - 3% Gross Profit
C. Bradley - 75,000 GBP

Operational assets of the Trust will be considered to be denominated in AXUs, or Aether Exchange Units. AXUs are used for payment and bonding in inter-planetary transit.

Assets:

Cash 1,400 AXU
Leta (Osprey class) 7,000 AXU

Liabilities:

None

Shareholder's Equity 8,400 AXU ~ 12,000,000 GBP
1,000,000 shares
0.0084 AXU/Share
12 GBP / Share`

Adam had spent days helping the King brothers get registered and overcoming the reluctance of the SIT board to approve their large investment of 5.7 million pounds each. The SIT board encouraged each investor to make a series of smaller investments jointly with other investors. But the King brothers were his advocates and they wanted Adam to be established.

Chris Bradley was the Managing Partner they had found after a two week search. He and his wife put together a 360,000 pound investment, as well as taking home a 75,000 pound a year salary for managing the financial, Earth bound, side of things.

They scrambled for passengers for his first flight. Any Pilot's first flight, and especially someone without prior passenger transit experience, was bonded at a horrendously high rate.

The passenger list for his first trip consisted of Chris and his wife Clair themselves, Numat, who said he wanted to get back to his home planet Olympus, and one genuine 100% passenger Don Henderson. It didn't matter too much that Henderson knew the King brothers.

The AXU bonding agency considered it a valid flight with at least one passenger unconnected to the industry. He would eat his losses on this flight and the next few until his bond rate dropped.

The Ethereals had established a minimum bond coverage for passengers of 700 AXU, equivalent to a million pounds. His first bond rate came out to 25 AXU against the exposure of 2800 AXU for 4 passengers.

He charged 7 AXU per passenger, but he still had to cover maintenance and fees as well. Part of the Earth fees were for the lifters used by his passengers, to get up to the space center.

Finally, his passengers were safely ensconced with their luggage in the lower passenger bay, and he was ready for his first flight, destination: Olympus.

Getting clearance from the Center to leave was barely different than when he was flying the training loop.

He had already computed the flight plan based on daily charts of transits to different planets.

After working through the pre-launch checklist and verifying all ship components were working optimally, he put on the hat, and applied reverse force.

The ship backed slowly out of the docking bay. It somehow felt more real when it was his own ship, the Leta. The name was Numat's suggestion when he saw the shiny silver ship with its dome, and wide lower passenger compartment which made it look a bit like a skirt from outside.

He didn't know what Leta meant, but he went with it. With an Ethereal onboard, Adam would be able to send long distance messages from the depths of space, which was nice for the Leta's maiden voyage. Numat had sent a message to a friend back home in Olympus, asking him to check for messages coming from deep space.

The first burn would push the Leta into a much higher Earth orbit. He didn't know why they were called burns, the Ethereals called them corrections which seemed more accurate.

With a firm grasp on the wheel, he pushed up on it, and twisted left, causing the Leta to side slip away from the Space Center but end up traveling parallel with it.

His rate of acceleration was about a third slower than with Flip, but still pretty good for four passengers, according to the books.

The dull glow of the Aether bulbs, which didn't require any power but spirit, filled the pilot's area.

What was day or night to a ship? The sun was on the far side of the Earth, but its light curved around the spheric giving a twilight feeling. Down away from the dome, he could see the aura of light spreading from the dome down the tunnel.

The dial was set and counted down the seconds of his "correction". 6 minutes 30 seconds.

Adam was getting further and further away from where he had ever been. He barely counted the moon trip.

The tiny view slits from the pilot's chair only showed what was immediately ahead, which was blackness. The flight documents showed that Olympus wouldn't come into view until after Leta had come around the sun and made a fairly close approach to Miarahaba.

He would then perform a descending burn to swing around Miarahaba and reach Olympus which was significantly closer to the sun.

With the 6 minute burn complete. Now he had 2 hours to wait until he performed the Earth exit burn.

Pulling off the hat tunnel, he unbuckled and unstrapped from the pilot's chair and slowly maneuvered past the closet and through the sloped tunnel which led to the passenger compartment.

The aether lights were dimmed as far as they would go. It was dark and silent. Everyone must be asleep. Adam turned back to the tunnel, to return to the pilot's chair.

"Adam," whispered Numat. "Everyone's sleeping, but I was just sitting here in the dark."

Numat followed Adam up until they settled in at the dome.

Numat was pondering something, and then he spoke, "It may be dark from your perspective, with only the dim aether lighting, but I can see my fellow passengers lit up, each with a color particular to their spirit. And the reason I stopped you when we first met is still the reason you stand out now.

I know some of my kin perceive spirits by sound or smell or a distinctive sense of touching rough or smooth surfaces, but many have sight synesthesia. You have one of the brightest spirits of anyone I have ever met, Adam.

Every fluctuation in your spirit was as visible if I had been standing right next to you. Moreso even. The coloring as you focus on being persistent and detailed shades but does not dominate the eager enthusiasm with which you do everything.

I will have to go as far from you as I can on this ship, in order to receive spirit telegrams.

"Why would my spirit be so bright?" Adam asked. "It's not like I've got a lifetime of practice in developing some kind of spirit muscle. I've just heard rumors of this kind of thing, and I didn't really know what the spirit sight was all about until a few months ago."

"It's not like that. Your spirit is innately you. If I was a Seer Knight, I could distinguish all the fine details which make you unique. The greatest tragedy is the loss of that distinctness, but beware trying to obtain another person's spirit. I admire the brightness you exhibit, but I can only pursue my own path, to shine in my owe way.

It is a warning told to our people, that when you admire and idolize someone, do not try to shift your spirit in imitation. When you shift, you add in discomfort, as your spirit knows what is not right for you."

After looking around at the sky beyond the dome for a while, Adam asked, "Have you been to all the planets?"

"I was born on Olympus. Traveled to Earth with an expedition when I was 25. Been to Miarahaba for a few days, but it's not my favorite place. Cinarae is unfriendly, no one wants to go there. I've never been there."

Adam was surprised. "It's hard to picture your people as unfriendly. I grew up on stories of how Ethereals came and set right what was wrong with a smile and a firm yet friendly approach."

"Towards humans, most Ethereals would be friendly. Over the centuries, we've found that we have different philosophies. I have been a Neutralist since I could understand the position, in its basics. We believe in limiting our interference with others, whether human or Ethereal. We will stand up for fairness, law and opportunity, but we believe within each person is the spirit heart which they must express through their own efforts. Helping a person too much can cause dependency and damage their own ability to pursue what they are called to.

"It was neutralists who established the Aether Exchange and standards for bonding for passenger and cargo transport. We have visited Earth to help establish well founded financial and legal systems, and England has been a Model City for us, for a long time."

"I never thought of that sort of mission, it's not easy to publicize or understand. We never heard about economic or legal missions, we heard about the rescue of persons in horrible situations, and a well placed rebuke for those who abuse or take advantage of others," Adam said.

"There was a solid core of neutralists on Olympus, and over time, our fellow neutralists decided to gather on the planet so that we might have enough votes to have an influence. Across all three planets, we only have 19% of the vote, but on Olympus, 53%. When you think of those who rescue babies and firmly get involved in retribution, you're talking about the 'Blessed'."

"The 'Blessed' are in an uneasy situation with the self-labeled 'Condemned' on Cinarae. The 'Condemned' see themselves as being ostracized by other Ethereals for the nature of their spirit. They claim that they are judged without a fair evaluation or trial. The term Condemned is a badge of honor for them.

There are conflicts between the 'Blessed' and 'Condemned' on a regular basis. The 'Condemned' have violated the code of self-determination by declaring a Queen of their faction, who has a lot of influence on Cinarae despite not being an elected official.

"Miarahaba is pretty much a 'Blessed' haven, and it's from that planet which they consider their mercy missions and have local councils. They do operate an extensive set of telescopes, which I have to credit them for."

Adam made sure to fly down the tunnel from the dome and check on the timer until the next burn. Still had an hour and 50 minutes.

"I know a little of my local government, it wasn't really my interest though. Wesiinh was more into that."

He told Numat about his original plan when he visited Oxford the first time. Numat returned to bed minutes before Adam went back to the pilot's chair and strapped in for the Earth ejection burn.

He watched as the timer counted down, and then put on the hat of power (as he thought of it).

He had learned during his book study that a burn from Earth orbit of greater duration than 6 to 8 hours (depending on your force), would put your ship in danger from the aether resistance and micro collisions.

This part of the plan involved a 4 hour burn, as a result. He could have made the main approach burn partially happen here, but he couldn't complete the whole burn at one time.

As his orbital path swung around Earth, the burn would establish the force to get further from the sun as well as further from Earth.

He set the timer and leaned back in the pilot's chair.

A couple hours later, he rubbed his head. The tunnel hat was making his head hot, sweaty and itchy. He had put locked the wheel in place, so he wouldn't accidentally bump it while executing the longest burn he'd ever done.

Opposite of the utility closet he'd been into several times during training, was the closet micro kitchen and pantry, which he hadn't accessed much during training. Every cabinet latched so that their contents wouldn't fly around during acceleration.

He could really use some water and a quick snack right about then.

First Flight Troubles
They were floating in the dome a few hours after Adam had performed the Earth exit burn.

Adam looked around at Numat and Don Henderson, they were looking out into space. The dome was facing away from the Sun. Nothing else had much light from this distance. Earth was a little pea in the distance. Miarahaba would have been drowned out by the brightness of the sun. Olympus was on the other side of the sun.

"It's hard to find a quieter, more desolate place than a ship floating through the depths of space," Don said.

"The mist of Miarahaba is a close second," said Numat. "But this is more beautiful."

"Three days until closest approach to Miarahaba, and then another week to Olympus," Adam said.

Adam was puzzled, as he felt himself start to head towards the inner surface of the dome.

"What was that?" Don said as they all had gently, subtly drifted towards the edge of the dome.

Numat looked at them. "Have I described to you what the spirit tunnel looks like when you are executing a burn?" He asked, seemed to give a non-sequitur.

"No." he answered.

"There's a line of spirit flowing out from us, down and into the conduit. Did you discharge your tunnel?" Numat said.

"I think I remember that from the books, but Flip Johnson never covered it. What should I be doing?" Adam said, nervously.

"Think about static electricity. The longer you let it build up before you release it, the more energy. Come on Don, we have to strap back in, this is going to be a big hit. It's been 10+ hours of burn time since the ground discharge procedure was executed."

"Procedure. Oh I'll look it up in the manual in the utility closet."

They bumbled their way down the tunnel, with the other two headed further into the passenger bed nets to strap in. It was odd that beds were the only way to strap in, but it was efficient if you planned your passenger rest times to coincide with burns.

Procedure 7a: Aether Power Delivery Platform Discharge Procedure.
March 7, 1911

He rushed to the pilot's chair as soon as he saw it. Strapping in he looked to the second steel rod next to the chair recliner adjuster. He had pulled on it in the training ship before realizing what the adjuster was.

This time he had to put all his weight into the lever and when it released his head swung forward, biffing into the metal steering handle.

The discharge had fiercely forced the Leta off course in a reverse direction, but the ship wasn't in line with her velocity, so the result was that her course was slowed and askew.

"There was definitely some damage when you discharged!" said Numat. "Did you read the whole procedure?"

"Uh, just a minute!" he shouted back.

DO NOT DISCHARGE IF THE DISCHARGE LEVER IS DIFFICULT TO MOVE. REBOUND FORCE MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO CONDUIT.

Adam flew down into the passenger compartment, where Numat had already opened one of the 7 access panels along the conduit's route underneath them.

"As I thought, there's been a break in the conduit here. I heard it just to the right of us."

The access panel was just a few feet away from the bed nets. Looking down into the conduit, he saw a gaping hole in the conduit.

"If you try to execute another burn, your power will be weak and off angle," Numat said.

"What's our trajectory now?" he asked, then felt flushed.

"You go check on that, and I'll work on the backup system. The sail system was designed in the event a ship was stranded in deep space and needed help to get back to planetary orbit. Between the gradual release of unintentional power by the overloaded conduit, and then the sudden jerk when the discharge procedure happened, I suspect our path now runs short. As in, right smack into Miarahaba. And that means the end for the Leta before her shakedown cruise even really started.

"We'll need to modify the procedure."

It was a careful, yet tense procedure to determine their position. Since the sun and Miarahaba were on the other side of the dome and it wasn't safe to put on the hat. Actually, after looking at it for a bit, he realized the Leta was rotating very slowly after the discharge.

That meant they could see the Sun and Miarahaba eventually. But also that his ship relative coordinates were changing.

He wrote down three sets of angles for Earth, five minutes apart, with apparent size solid angle as well. With this he wrote down the count from the pilot's wristwatch he had bought before leaving London.

Then he waited for the Sun and Miarahaba to rotate into view. It was difficult to spot Miarahaba into the glare of the sun, but he put his hand over his eyes and squinted until he saw it.

He wrote down the planet's position and size three times as well. Back to the pilot's table to calculate it all out.

He didn't have an absolute reference system for the angles because the ship was rotating, but he could reconstruct it with his six timed measurements. He racked his brain, working through the algebra and trig of the problem, and identified an imaginary reference frame to adjust all the angles relative to. Then it was simply a linear function of time and apparent angle to get the angle relative to this frame.

He manipulated the orbit checker of the massive slide rule, spinning speed and angle and current distance. He would brush past Miarahaba, entering it's atmosphere. But if he considered the Aether resisting Leta movement slightly, it would likely be a crash landing.

Adam left his technical diagram on the pilot's table and went to the utility closet.

There was a map of current Aether stream trends. Knowing the velocity and direction of the Aether moving around them in space was critical for using the Sails.

Adam's ship was already filled with Aether all around them, and all the passengers were part of the 6% who respirate from Aether and spiritual power in space. So there was no reason not to open the main hatch when Numat asked him to.

The gigantic solar sail was still rolled up. Without gravity it was an awkward manuever for one person, but Numat rotated end over end while holding the roll of sail fabric and Adam held the other end.

He held onto the massive curtain of fabric while Numat went to the supports. It was almost like a tent frame, as they slid 8 long rods through the groves in the fabric and out the other side.

The places they snapped into were already welded on the ship. Trying to hold the rods to press them down into the snap in places was impossible, you would go careening of as the pressure you applied rebounded.

After learning that once, he had to flap his way back to the ship, brace himself by holding on to the ship hull with one hand, and pulling on the rod of the solar sail with another.

Adam worked on snapping in the sail, while Numat put together the linkage which connected the wheel at his chair to a large rudder.

Knowing the low resistance of aether, it would take a very long time to change direction through the rudder.

When he snapped in all of the parts of the sail, it rose up from the upper hull, blocking part of their view from the dome. He had practiced sail operation for 25 minutes on a real actual ship.

If they got this wrong, they could crash land into Miarabaha or float around into the depths of space for months.

Numat returned from fitting the rudder in place, and they slid back into the ship from the hatch, which connected to the passenger area.

When they were back inside, Adam latched the door.

Numat came with him up to the pilot's area.

"If you press in the Sail button, the wheel will be locked to only horizontal motion corresponding to the rudder. Obviously, don't put on the tunnel channeler."

Adam nodded.

"We're heading almost directly with the Aether, so there's not much force. If we turn just a little bit, we'll be applying force to reduce our orbit more, as the Aether will be redirected up and away from Miarahaba and the counterforce will push us down and towards the planet. We need to turn 150 degrees so the aether is directed towards Miarahaba, and the counterforce gives our orbit a bit higher trajectory."

Adam pressed the Sail button, and then stopped for a moment before turning the wheel right

"It doesn't matter, because we can turn either direction, but the rudder goes opposite of the way you expect."

Adam thought about the situation, "Are we locked into the current plane of motion, because the rudder is only horizontal?"

Adam realized, they couldn't maneuver up or down, or twist the ship like a corkscrew.

"You can get out and push, but otherwise you're locked into the plane of motion, which is usually where we want to be anyway, since the planets are all on the same orbital plane.

They watched through the tiny viewing slits, Adam couldn't tell how far he'd gone, but Numat finally yelled, "Stop."

He let go of the wheel. "How could you tell?"

"I could tell the force of the Aether wind resisting against the sail."

Adam noticed its motion too.

The sail won't produce enough force to knock us down, and there's nothing you can do except wait and calculate orbit every half hour.

Hopefully they could get to Miarahaba orbit and find someone to fix the ship.

Surprising Arrival
Suniya spent almost every day at the spirit scope, watching the progress of the expedition to the "Co-Settled" world with nervous energy. Now the team's spirit was blending with the planets' spirit. The intensity of the expedition's purpose seemed to be blunted. Almost discouragement, yet they had raised the embers of hope and renewal on the planet. There was still a lot of blackness there.

"Obsessed," said one of the Ghosts.

"Turn right," said another.

The ghosts argued inside her spirit. One of them had seen something in this new direction. A ship.

But then again, ships arrived at Miarahaba daily.

Suniya had to guess her old wise ones would not show her something for no reason. She turned the scope to the right, effectively ending the debate amongst her ghosts.

"Up right. Slight left. Slight down. Very slight down."

Suniya adjusted as the one ghost directed her.

It was like she had aimed at the sun, at first. Suniya looked away, thinking she needed to blink away the brightness, but it was her sense of the spirit in that direction that gave her the feeling of blinding brightness.

There were two, no wait, more than two spiritual presences in that direction. She could distinguish two textures, both very strong and purified spirits. There were more, but they were drowned out by the intensity of the two.

One hopeful, joyful, loving, a beautiful spiritual feeling in her heart. The other peaceful, serene, the rock not of willpower but of acceptance of things as they are. It was almost sad to feel such a hopeful, loving and lively spirit, because she knew, even among her people, such hopeful individuals rarely held on to their hope for long.

But sometimes, there were those special people, who could hold onto bright shining joy and hope, even in the face of tremendous obstacles and hurts. She hoped for hopefulness that would remain.

The two bright spirits were interacting, there was a spirit of seriousness, yet in their element playfulness.

"How did you spot this? Who has time to find surprising angles like this?" she asked her spirits.

It wasn't a typical approach for a ship headed to Miarahaba. Not quite right for a ship headed to Olympus.

"Daily," the ghost said. "Follow daily. Headed to Olympus, but then Accident."

So they had been headed to Olympus…

"Where are they headed?"

"Here."

Suniya was giddy. The second spiritual signature was familiar to her. Reminiscent of many Neutralists, but she couldn't point to a specific individual. The first signature was someone new. There hadn't been such a bright star in years. This ship trouble could be a problem. She didn't want there to be problems for such a person, but she also wanted to hope and see how he dealt with the problem.

Most people, whether Human or Ethereal, would stuff away hurt and problems, not dealing with it, but it was dealing with them, taking away their life, their joy, their very spiritual character and purpose. Leaving behind a physical husk with little spirit.

If it happened to Ethereals, they would get help and counseling right away. But even humans could tell in a person's mannerisms and posture how they were doing, but without the exactness of spirit sight, few did anything about it.

She couldn't resist looking at the ship with its bright spirits, and she smiled.

Much later she was at home. Another friend was visiting for a few days.

"What kind of doctor is he?" Suniya asked her friend.

"Actually he treats physical stuff. With only a few hundred humans on planet, and yet he said half of his business is with them. Our air quality is a bit bad for humans. And the constant wet and cold."

Suniya thought about it. "Seems like it's been a drier year, and not too cold."

Humans.

"Earth gets up to 40 centigrade in certain places."

Suniya considered Irina, "Our friend Irina grew up in one of the coldest places on Earth. -40 was uncommon but she said she did experience that."

"Most people aren't Irina. Humans live in places we would never want to live. Places where it hasn't rained for years. Jungles. High Altitudes, where even the trees that Earth has everywhere can't live."

"They got away with a lot of terribleness before we arrived," Suniya said. "If the alternative is being killed, you could live almost anywhere."

Door.

Suniya looked to the door first, as her old ones spoke to her.

The Prophet walked in. "Forgive me knight. I've seen more."

Suniya said, "Come in."

"Have you heard of the Earth word equivalent to Knight?"

"There's more than one Earth language, but in Earth English I have."

"Earth knights don't have spirits. Some of them have good advisors. Someone called Merlin advised the 'Knights of the Round Table'," the Prophet said.

"Honored Prophet, I'm not sure of the relevance," Suniya said.

"The Human has a spirit with him. A regretful spirit, for her mother was ill and she was unable to dream."

"That is impossible. Humans could not recognize a spirit if they saw one, lacking our sight, They do not possess the power to carry spirits in their innermost."

"And yet…"

Suniya and her friend had a quiet evening after the Prophet left that. She was considering their words.

Her old ones were remarkably quiet, and she was able to get a long night's sleep.

The sound of chimes echoed through her bedroom. She woke up, and sleepily walked down the stairs to the kitchen.

Someone is here!

An old one thought.

Her friend was serving tea to someone she vaguely recognized, they were local, but not familiar.

"I know it's unusual," said the man, as she entered the kitchen. "But I thought perhaps the Knight would know where to find the Human Tikhonovna. And how is it some humans have such a mouthful of a name."

"Humans have longer family names than personal names, unlike us. They find it easier to refer to each other with their given name, amongst people they know. Well, there she is."

Suniya joined the conversation, "I believe Irina was on an expedition to our arctic, discovering our home's similarities to her own in the north. She'll back in a day or two."

"I received a redirected message from another communicator. He was in communication, on Olympus, with an Ethereal passenger. The passenger was on a ship that suffered damage from some kind of spirit charge malfunction. Latest reports say they have altered their trajectory to reach Miarahaba, instead of trying to get to their final destination. They are asked for a mechanic skilled in human ship repair, as their captain is a brand new pilot on a new English ship."

"That's the ship I saw approaching. Perhaps the same human the Prophet spoke of. We will find out." said Suniya, quietly.

Descent into Miarahaba
The sail was put away, Numat had sent his messages, informing his contact on Olympus that we weren't headed that way until we made repairs on Miarahaba, and Adam and his passengers waited (he considered Numat a co-pilot and handyman more than a passenger).

Ethereal worlds had a buoy instead of a space center, arriving ships would tie off at the buoy and fly down onto the planet.

Wing suits for human travelers in space were like life jackets for a ship at sea. His passengers would need them to safely descend.

"With full spirit control you could just navigate to the buoy like you do at the Earth Space Center, but as it is, you'll need a bungee cord," Numat said.

Leta was travelling slightly faster than the buoy, which was in a stable orbit. Luckily there were no other ships tied off to it.

Adam had tied two bungee cords to the docking clamps, using a triple knot to make sure the ship wouldn't float away. He was floating off the edge of the ship, and he pushed off, letting the bungee float for a moment. He caught himself on the buoy, and weaving his legs through it's spokes, forcefully tied the three bungee cords together onto the buoy.

He put the buoy between himself and the Leta as he felt the bungee stress to near it's rated maximum force before the Leta finally began to turn, and then move back towards the buoy. He had to jump up above the buoy as the ship loudly clanged into it. Flailing his arms, he swam back to the buoy, and now wrapped the bungees a few more times around the buoy, so there was little range of movement. He went back into the ship, through the docking bay.

Don and the Bradleys were suiting up. He went up to the pilot's chair to put on the aerodynamic sky suit. The wings were part of the suit. Originally, they had wanted to place the wings where the arms were, but the forces placed on the wings would have hurt a human's arms.

Because of Ethereal bone density, and their own double decker wings, Numat didn't need a suit.

"Have you ever done this," asked Adam.

Chris and Clair said no, but Don had.

"Many times," Numat said. "Enjoy it Adam, I think you will if you don't get scared and just experience it."

They all followed out to the docking bay.

"I just see one problem," said Adam. "How do we slow down?"

If we didn't slow down, we couldn't descend. Basic orbital mechanics.

"Your wing suit is like the ship's conduit, routing your spiritual power through and out the back of the wings. And my people can naturally control the release of spiritual force for such purposes. When you are ready, spread out your wings fully, and follow me. We need to go against the direction of the orbit to descend."

Numat pushed off against the buoy and accelerated away from them. Don launch off the hull of the ship next, and then Adam let go and kicked off, and moving him away from the buoy and his own ship.

The wings were controlled by the movement of his arms, even though they were mounted behind them. He felt the pushing back of acceleration, as he followed Don.

He hoped his orbit was descending as his direction tilted downward.

He was still some distance away from any noticeable atmosphere.

"I wouldn't recommend this as your first atmo test. When you start to feel the aether slipping away, point yourself straight down and hold your breath," Chris said

"Coming back into breathing normal oxygen is disconcerting. Your body has completely been running on another energy source, until now," continued Clair.

So Adam closed his eyes, hoping to make it through, and held his breath, orienting himself so that he was pointed to the ground far below.

When he'd held his breath as long as he could, he opened his eyes and gasped in a breath. He was descending through a sunlit land above the clouds. He looked down, and saw no one, but looked up and saw he had descended faster than Numat and Don.

"Yes" he yelled and he started to swoop through the air excitedly. He stopped trying to maintain some kind of military discipline and just enjoyed himself.

"This is what I was thinking of," Adam said, and he wished he could just keep soaring above the clouds forever, as he flew left and right, swirling, spinning, flipping and swooping. He carried on, until regretfully he passed into the clouds. He couldn't see anything now, so he leveled off in the thick yellowy soup of a fog."

"How do you see anything but this gross fog?" he shouted. No one responded. He descended, not knowing where he was headed, slowly descending, unsure if he was about to smash into something. He arched his back to rise up and reduce his speed. And then he caught a glimpse of the ground and flipped around to completely reverse his speed with his spiritual force slowing him down. He landed tumbling into a field of something tall and grass like.

"Adam over here!"

It was lucky that he had Numat's voice to guide him.

"There's a rope that will guide us back to the nearest town, it's all over the place to help people who aren't from the area to find their way in the fog. And it helps humans. You can't see all the signposts that are people's spirits around here. We're not far."

They gathered up the Bradleys, and Don was already talking to someone in town.

"The Liaison for Travelers' Affairs is just up the rope," said the local.

Adam followed the rope as well as Numat's voice to the Liaison's house. The dark mist made Adam think it was midnight, and the sudden contrast from the amazing sun and sky that came before was harsh.

The Liaison spoke before Adam knew he was there, "I don't have any food fit for humans, but I do have warmth and rest from your journey."

The fog lifted as they passed through the doorway.

There was a big sitting room in front of them.

"We don't really follow morning, evening and night here, as you can see it's dark outside always, but if you are tired, there's a place to sleep, if you're hungry, there's the Human Grocer, open intermittently. Some of us consider human foods a rare delicacy, unfortunately, they tend to upset my stomach," the Ethereal said.

Numat spoke up, "This is Adam Ryan, pilot of the Leta, a Human Osprey class vessel in need of repairs. Don Henderson, Mr. And Mrs. Bradley and myself are fellow travelers hoping to complete our journey to Olympus. This is Adam's first flight, also. Mr. And Mrs. Bradley are investors, and I was involved in spotting Adam as a potential candidate for the pilot program. Don is a friend."

"I'm Pilot's Liaison Semat. It's nice to meet you Adam, and welcome passengers. I've received your distress call ahead of time. We have a mechanic experienced in Human ship repair, unfortunately, she is away on a tour of our northern polar region. She should be back in a few days. Mechanic Tikhonovna had been a valuable worker for the Liaison's office, repairing both Ethereal and a few Human ships. We don't see many Human ships."

"Thank you for helping us. Do you need more financial paperwork, I didn't think to take everything with me. It's probably on the ship," Adam said.

He was nervous, because he hadn't received much training in what to do in an emergency, or how financial access worked here.

"Your ship's bonding will cover room and board for your passengers and yourself. Our people already received your records in the AXU system."

"Ok, thank you," Adam said.

"You'll be staying at my house unless the delay is considerable. But I expect that the Mechanic will be more than skilled enough to get you back up running in a few days. It's not considered a totaling loss, so the hit to your bonding rate won't be as bad as you think. And, on an unrelated note, there's a few visitors who want to speak with you."

Adam pondered the Liaison's words. "I didn't realize anyone knew about me. I'm just a new pilot trying to figure it out, and now this. I didn't realize any of your people other than Numat knew of me."

Numat said, "They have telescopes, spirit scopes. They can see arriving ships, and more importantly, observe the spiritual character of their pilot and passengers."

"Our lovely Human mechanic gave this analogy," said the Liaison, "Every new person we run into is like a new flavor of ice cream. So for Ethereals who want to be introduced to you, it's like they want to experience that new Pilot Ryan ice cream. Don't take it as anything more than that."

Numat said to Adam, "The Ethereals have different customs around the home, they come and visit each other's homes often. And they will stay at a friend's house if the friend is traveling, and then share stories and fellowship once the friend returns. This helps the homeowner lock onto the friend's spirit, to find their home when they return. Those who want to meet you will probably drift in throughout the next few days. But you may want to get some rest and refreshment, because Ethereal conversations with someone new to them can be … intense."

After saying his welcomes and goodnights, and apologies to the other passengers, the Liaison whisked him away to a soft, refreshingly cool bed, with a design full of patterns of some kind of local bird He wasn't familiar with it. Its wings were huge, filling up the pillow.

He was off into dreamland before long.

A conversation with the Knight
The hallway he found himself in, after he woke up, sometime later, was dim and dark. The spirit lighting was set to a night-light sort of ambience.

Adam could hear soft conversation, which ebbed as he walked out towards the sitting area.

Adam had seen Ethereals before, he counted Numat as a friend, and he had now met the Liaison, and had seen other Ethereals at the Space Center, but the one who stood before him now, was different.

"Good Morning, Honored Pilot," she said. He heard the whispers of a dozen little things around her. They were unrecognizable, but something was said.

"Good Morning, uhm — " he responded and then stopped.

"I am the Knight of Miarahaba, Suniya is my family name, and what most call me. I have heard that humans prefer to go by their given name, but as for us, our given name has a great meaning, and therefore great length."

She bowed again, smiling at him.

Don Henderson had been talking with the Knight, but walked away, briefly saying, "It was nice to meet you. It is good night for me, good morning for you Adam. Later."

"Then have a good night," Adam said, waving to the friend of Numat's. He turned back to the Knight. "Any friend of Numat, is a friend of mine, although I didn't ever get his official position, I know he was a big help in getting me into the training program."

Suniya responded, "I've never met Atiaelero Numat, though I have met his brethren who go by the same name. I will be honest, as the Numats are honest, I appreciate their help in establishing the rules and order of shipping, but they do not go far enough. There is so much more that needs to be done beyond mere commerce and shared rules of law and maritime. Sit?"

Adam sat down opposite the couch the Knight had sat at. His tummy rumbled a bit, but he forcibly ignored it.

"Then I hope I can be ice cream for you," Adam said.

"Hmm?" the Knight responded perplexed.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said that. It was an analogy the Liaison gave yesterday about how Ethereals can delight in meeting new people, whether Human or their own kin. He described it like trying a new flavor of Ice Cream."

"Irina's analogy," Suniya said, "But, when we delight in the spirit of a person, it doesn't fade away, nor does it harm the person. In fact, I've found that by finding the delight in someone, their heart cry can be made manifest and in a greater way than ever."

"I've heard a lot about Ms. Tikhonovna. First from the Liaison, and now from you," Adam said.

"She has a good heart, and good qualities. Honest, detailed, accountable and holds others accountable. She doesn't take the easy way when honesty requires telling the whole truth and dealing with the cost. She's tenacious in convincing pilots that they need to fix parts of their ship they never knew were broken. Not always well loved by pilots, but every good pilot should love her compassion and attention," Suniya said.

"Better off knowing when something can be fixed than in the middle of a flight plan. I wish I had paid more attention to the discharge procedures. To be honest, I'm still a beginner in the pilot business. I can handle the straight, simple, unexceptional scenario, but anything outside normal throws me off,"

Adam continued. "I'm much more interested in learning about the people and places of all the planets I go to, than in showing off myself as some kind of super-pilot that I'm not."

Adam didn't want anyone, especially a friendly and nice Ethereal like the Knight, to think he was some kind of stud rockstar pilot.

"Although I value the finely honed skill at an expert, I would not buy it at the price of losing you, pilot. You bear a beautiful spirit, please protect it, for as long as you do, you bring hope and joy to those around you" the Knight said.

Adam couldn't think of anything to say. Huh, the word did not apply. Nature could be beautiful, and the Ethereal in front of his was quite beautiful with her wings and delicate white dress. Perhaps he just didn't understand the Ethereal word and was improperly translating it.

Suniya continued to speak, "Yes, precious and rare, pure and without damage to the conception of who you are. What could beauty be if it was not that. From forty million kilometers away, your spirit sang out. Your friend Numat, his spirit sings too, but I know of his cry, and I profoundly disagree with him. Yet Numat brought you here as directly as I would if I had seen you first. The song you sing, the light you project, I can't describe the sensation of seeing you in the spirit, right now."

Adam protested, "I haven't done any great service to deserve this. I've been a high school student, and little else. How could all this be within me when I haven't endured anything to bring it to pass, and I've never known about it."

He was flummoxed. It was easy to brush off the things Numat said as just reading him as just having a great potential to be a good pilot, but did he see something more. Where did that come from?

"One human misconception is that beauty requires some ugliness in its past to make it true. Those who are beautiful in the ways of Tikhonovna and others who I could name don't doubt their beauty, but humans who carry your form of beauty judge themselves because they have not gone through preceding ugliness. Don't do that. Your pleasantness is innate, neither earned or owned, it is a river that nourishes the land in it's motion. Don't worry about what you don't know yet."

Was it random that he had ended up glowing to Suniya's spirit sense, and his next door neighbor did not?

Suniya stopped him. "There is something uncaused in our spirit nature. It may seem unjust, but from long experience this spirit sight correlates with the nature of the person, for good or ill. Even among humans, those who are discolored cause further misery to those around them. Can I call you Ryan, I have a story for you?"

"Call me Adam," he said. "I'd love to hear your story."

"I'll call you Ryan, it would be too intemperate to share my own full name in exchange. My brother and sister were born, and as soon as my mother could see them, she was moved to tears. It is difficult to raise children when you can't resist shuddering when you see them. After my eldest brother, there was my older sister, who has a spirit I can only describe as fire-like, angry, vengeful.

"Around the time when my parents were pregnant again, the last Knight of Miarahaba was having trouble walking, and she would shiver on the warmest day of the year. She was near the end of her days, and so every mother thought, I could be the mother to the next Knight, and my mother was no different. She cried tears of joy so deeply and so long when I was born, but whether her child had one spirit or another was outside her control. I know, I could just as easily have been my sister, who ran off to Cinarae the first time she found someone to take her. My brother found acceptance on Olympus.

But I don't have time to think of my family when I have the cries of these Old Ones, who still seek to see their original heart's cry fulfilled. Though their spirit has faded and diminished by their passing, it is my life purpose to see to the fulfillment they did not find."

"Hopefully Ms. Tikhonovna will be able to return soon to help me in fixing my ship."

"You have time, Ryan. Take a deep breath, slow down and you may find many interesting conversations during your time here."

"I will try," he said. "Have you heard of the world we use to translate your title into English? Our knights don't have any spirits with them. In the stories, one of them had a powerful wizard friend, but generally we think of knights as male armored warriors, who fight on horseback and have a honorable code, known as Chivalry. It's a defunct term really, referring to the soldiers and minor nobles of the past."

"Ms. Tiknonovna has told me of her first language's translation of the concept. It is interesting, I suppose the Knight who the wizard advised, that was from an English legend?"

"We borrowed and stole other legends, the King Arthur legend was a partial borrowing as well, but we feel like it's ours," Adam said.

"Very interesting. You might find that conversation ebbs and flows of its own accord. Do not be embarrassed of silence. Especially as my spirits distract me, sometimes I may be silent for that reason."

They talked, and had the local equivalent of tea, and silence came and went, as well as other visitors. It was very weird when he went outside, expecting sun, only to see the same hazy air all around. It must take practice to live in a place like this, he thought to himself.

He was tired again, and he slept, but didn't know how many hours he had been awake.

Back