To Burn Brightly Like Stars (Fate Series)

To Burn Brightly Like Stars (Fate Series)
Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The Holy Grail is a relic of great power. The holy artifact could grant any wish. However, it is not the only wish granter in history. In a time before the Holy Grail existed, there was Dagda's Cauldron. Now, a ritual involving seven Masters and seven Servants begins for this artifact.

A Servant in black armor is summoned by a mysterious boy. Together, they will face down the greatest warriors in all of Ireland for a chance for a wish. Will they succeed? Or will their own goals destroy them?
A Moment like Lighting New
It arrived in a flash of lightning.

A rumble of thunder echoed through the once quiet forest.

The cloudless sky allowed the sun to peek through the treetops, illuminating the figure of a warrior. Their pitch black armor lined with glowing turquoise accents stood out against the natural green of the forest. The futuristic samurai-like form stood out against the disrupted harmony of nature around them.

They were, in every sense of the word, unnatural.

The warrior instinctively took in their surroundings. The beautiful forest would lull most into a sense of security, but the details they saw left them on edge. While most of the trees reached to the sky like gigantic sentinels, a row of them were obviously damaged. Massive tree trunks with large chunks taken out of them, trees completely toppled over… something was thrown through them.

A small glint of light on the ground caught the warrior's eye. A shattered sword's remains were scattered across the forest floor, only the hilt remaining undamaged.

To top it all off, the futuristic samurai found themselves standing in a crater. The sound of crashing trees filled the air. A few trees near the crater collapsed to the ground, their trunks scorched by lightning. This allowed sunlight to peek through and illuminate the area in a gentle glow.

Their summoning obviously caused quite a ruckus here.

All this information was taken in and processed in an instant. And in a single instant after, the warrior heard a loud coughing behind them.

Turning around, they saw a young boy leaning against a toppled tree. The boy couldn't be any older than seven, at best. His very simple gray clothes were blotted by blood, and his bright blue cape sprawled out over the debris surrounding him.

He didn't look like any child the warrior had seen before. His dark indigo hair stood out as unusual, but that wasn't the strangest part of him. What grabbed their attention the most was his bright red eyes. A striking color, one that didn't occur in normal humans. That really only meant one thing.

This child was unnatural.

The boy stared back at them, but… it wasn't a look of fear or curiosity like one expected in this situation. It was a calculating look, one that was taking in all the information and processing it in an instant.

It was instinctual when the samurai's grip tightened on their sword.

The young child's body tensed up without a second thought.

A quiet, tense moment passed. Time ticked by slowly as the two stared at each other, neither daring to move.

Finally, the samurai spoke. Their voice was distorted and almost robotic sounding, neither masculine or feminine.

"I ask of you… are you my—"

A loud screeching noise suddenly split through the air. The sound would send chills up the spine of ordinary men.

Turning around, the warrior could barely make out a figure through the trees. As the sound of hooves galloping filled the air, it became obvious a man on a horse was approaching the two.

The warrior's grip only tightened even more. The closer the man came, the more they could see what it truly was.

The 'man' had no legs. His torso was fused to the top of the horse's back. His arms were unnaturally long, his hands reaching all the way to the forest floor. The 'horse' head only had one gigantic eye in the center of its skull, while the 'human' head only had two tiny orbs of black masquerading as eyes.

These were frightening features, of course, but what was truly disgusting was the creature's lack of skin.

They could see every exposed, powerful muscle flexing as the creature moved. Its yellow veins were easy to see, and the black blood pumped erratically through those veins.

It was obvious this creature was a horrible mockery of life, a monster.

The warrior took a step forward, finally drawing their sword. The loud sound of steel scraping against wood filled the air as the black blade's edge reflected the sun. Black lightning began to crackle around the blade threateningly.

The monster howled angrily at the sight. It moved, faster than the wind. It weaved through the trees, running in erratic patterns through the forest in an attempt to throw its prey off. However, the shadows did little to hide it, and its speed was not great enough to escape the black samurai's piercing gaze.

The samurai raised their blade over their head, the black lightning crackling more intensely as they went to swing it down. Despite the fact the monster was nowhere near the edge of the crater, let alone the samurai. A small detail like that didn't matter to a warrior of their caliber.

But suddenly, the boy took off.

Instead of running away like most would expect, he ran at the monster. While the creature weaved through the trees, he matched its movements, easily keeping up with the erratic pattern. He ran across the forest floor as if it was his home, propelling himself forward with the trees instead of being slowed down by them.

It didn't take long until the two stood in front of each other. For a split second, the horse head and the child had a staredown. But only for a split second. The boy immediately jumped up, kicking off a tree. He soared through the air, his cape fluttering in the wind behind him. He landed on the monster's torso, latching on to it like a tick to the skin of a dog.

His left fist cocked back. With a scream more fitting an animal than a human, the child launched his punch. It crashed perfectly into where a human liver would be.

The monster let out a roar of pain. It reared up on its hind legs, the front horse hooves flailing wildly.

The boy punched again. And again. Each blow caused the creature to roar wildly. His yells mixed with the monster's roar, filling the air with cacophonic noise.

The monster began to buck like a wild stallion trying to throw a rider off its back. Despite the wild movements, the child held on, hammering its non-existent liver. The hooves of the horse crashed into the trees, adding the sound of cracking wood to their cacophony of noise.

As it bucked wildly, the monster unknowingly came closer to the edge of the crater, closer to the sunlight.

Finally, the monster had enough. Its unnaturally long arm whipped around, a loud cracking sound filling the air. Its fingers slapped around the young boy's stomach, striking like small whips. The child let out a cry of pain as the monster pulled him away.

The monster raised its attacker to its 'human' face, dangling the boy over the edge of the crater. The boy, illuminated by the sunlight, stared straight into the monster in the shadows. Its black eyes burning with hatred. It wasn't hatred aimed at its captive, no. It was a blind hatred of anything that lived.

The booming of thunder sounded out as the warrior's sword flashed forward. Bone and muscles were rended by the blade. A foul smell from charred flesh filled the air as the monster's arm fell to the ground.

The boy dislodged himself from the amputated arm, gracefully flipping and landing on his feet. He leaped back to avoid the monster's wild flailing. He landed by the warrior, close to the center of the crater. He gave them a quick nod of appreciation. The samurai didn't respond, instead moving forward to attack.

The samurai swung its sword down again, intent on cutting off the horse head. The monster's remaining arm whipped forward with another loud crack. Its fingers gripped the samurai's wrists, restraining its movements.

The two began to tug back and forth. It was obvious to anyone watching that the warrior was physically stronger than the monster, but not so much that they could just rip themselves away instantly. The two were locked in a struggle, neither willing to give up. At the edge of the crater, the monster tried to pull the samurai into the shadows while the samurai tried to pull it into the light.

The boy reached behind his back, pulling a small dagger. He ran to the edge of the crater, leaping on top of one of the fallen trees. He took off into the air, gaining even more height. He soared through the air, raising the dagger over his head. With a yell, he plunged the dagger into one of the monster's eyes.

The monster roared out in pain, its grip loosening. The warrior took this opportunity. Their foot shot out as they kicked the monster right in the horse's chest. A loud cracking sound echoed out as the monster was launched back into the shadows. The sheer force of the attack caused the young child and his dagger to get dislodged from the monster's eyes.

The two could see black blood oozing out of the crack on the monster's chest. A single drop fell to the ground and caused the grass surrounding it to wilt and die. The monster took no moves to tend to its wound. Instead, it charged forward with a hateful scream.

It would kill them or die trying.

The samurai and child charged to meet the monster, their blades reflecting the sunlight.

The warrior's final step cracked the earth. Lightning sparked to life around them as they twisted their hips. Their sword swung through the air like lightning, cleanly slicing through the horse's neck like butter.

The boy leapt once more, spinning through the air to build power. His dagger lodged into the humanoid neck. A loud hissing sound filled the air as the black blood made contact with his blade. Gritting his teeth, he pushed as hard as he could. The blade dug deeper and deeper into the monster's neck.

Finally, the dagger cut all the way through, sending the head flying through the air. The monster's body lifelessly fell to the ground, but its momentum still carried it. It finally came to a rest at the center of the crater.

The boy landed, turning to face their kill. A silent several seconds passed as the two took in the view of the dead monster.

The boy suddenly let out a mighty shout of victory, his eyes facing the treetops. He then fell on his back, breathing hard and closing his eyes. The warrior stood next to the resting child, staring down at them. A few seconds passed before he opened his eyes again, staring straight at their mysterious helper.

"Thanks for your help… uh… whatever you are." The boy had a confused look on his face as he took in the samurai's looks.

"... 'Whatever you are'?" The warrior repeated, the confusion evident despite their neutral sounding tone.

"Well, yeah, you ain't human." he reached over and tapped on the black warrior's armored leg. "You look kinda human, but I ain't ever seen a human with skin like a beetle."

The samurai took a few seconds to process this before answering. "This is not my skin. I am wearing armor."

"Ar… mor?" The child pronounced the word slowly, letting the word sit on his tongue. "Never heard of anything like that before."

The warrior took a few seconds more. According to the knowledge granted to it about this time period, armor should be a pretty basic concept for any warrior. "It is… like…" they spoke, trying to find an easy way to explain the concept. "It is like hard clothes that protect you."

The boy stared blankly at the them. "Huh. Neat. What's it made of?" He rolled over onto his stomach, reaching out to poke the warrior's black leg. The samurai took a step back, right out of reach of the curious child.

"We have something important to talk about." The warrior tried to steer the conversation back on track. "Are you the one that summoned me to this world?"

The boy paused as he thought about it. He got back up to his feet and folded his arms. The warrior could see his brow furrow as he thought. The sound of his foot tapping filled the now quiet forest.

"Summoning… is a type of magecraft, right?" he asked. "I didn't cast any magecraft during that fight… but… I don't think there's anyone else who could have summoned you." His eyes drifted to the monster on the ground. "Unless that thing summoned you?" He pointed to the corpse.

The samurai spared a glance at the dead monster before responding with a flat "No." The child simply shrugged as he walked over to the monster, dagger in hand.

"Well, then I guess it was me. I wonder how though…" He muttered as he plunged the knife into the tough muscle.

"If you did not mean to call me forth, then do you not intend to fight in the Dagda Cauldron Ritual?" The warrior continued its line of questioning. The boy didn't look up as he inspected the meat of the monster. With his other hand, he wiped the dagger across the grass. His blade was cleaned for the cost of a dead patch of grass.

"The… Dagda Cauldron Ritual?" he muttered to himself as he tossed away a rotten piece of meat. "There's a ritual for that? I thought Dagda just… shared the stuff inside his cauldron. Why is there a ritual now?"

The boy grunted as he slipped his hands under the monster's body. With only a miniscule amount of effort, he lifted the corpse into the air. Surprisingly, he had far more trouble balancing the massive body with his small arms than he did supporting the weight.

The warrior grabbed the body from the boy, throwing it on their shoulders.

"The Dagda Cauldron Ritual is for more than the food." The warrior made sure they had the child's attention before they continued. "The ritual will allow the cauldron to achieve its true purpose. Once completed, It will turn the cauldron into a true wish granter."

The boy listened intently. He could tell by the way the warrior was speaking that this was something very important. 'A true wish granter' was not something to take lightly, after all. With a nod, he knew deep down how to respond.

"I don't get it."

The warrior only stared blankly at the child. To be frank, as much as they wanted to blame the child's own lack of intelligence, they knew that this was their own fault. Keeping their composure, they changed the subject for just a second. "What are you going to do with this body?" They adjusted the monster's corpse as they spoke.

"Oh, I was gonna try to eat it, but the meat's all rotten. So I'm gonna take it out of the forest and burn the body." The boy explained. He looked down at the ground, seeing shards of his sword on the ground. "Mom's gonna kill me if she finds out about this…" He muttered as he picked up the bladeless hilt.

Carefully, he slipped off his cape, laying it on the floor like a blanket. He carefully picked up every sword shard he could find, placing them on the fabric. When he finished cleaning, he turned his cape into a sack and threw it over his shoulder.

Without another word, he began to retrace his steps through the forest. He followed the path of destruction he and the monster created. The warrior silently followed behind them.

"What is it that you don't understand?" they asked as they walked.

"Well, you said that this was some sort of ritual to make the cauldron into a 'true wish granter'." he explained. "I don't get why I would be involved in this. I'm not a druid, I don't know a lotta magecraft."

The warrior nodded. "You do not have to be a druid to contribute to the ritual. The fact I stand before you is proof enough of that." The boy nodded, stopping to look at a tree.

"Okay then, what even is this ritual?" He asked as he put his sack down. With boundless energy, the young child jumped on the tree and climbed it. The warrior stopped to watch him climb.

"It is a simple matter." They explained. "In this Ritual, there are two kinds of participants. The Servants and the Masters."

"Ser… vant…" The boy repeated the word slowly, like he was tasting it. "Mas… ter…" He stopped climbing when he reached a green spear lodged into a tree. "Weird words. Wonder what they mean." He muttered as he pulled out the spear. The warrior noted it looked rather hastily made, but sturdy despite that.

"Servants are legendary people pulled from all throughout time." They continued their explanation. "We answer the call of those picked as Masters to help them achieve their wish."

"So someone like me is a 'Master'?" The child asked as he leapt out of the tree, landing right by his sack. The warrior nodded.

"Yes. Masters are living people that act as an anchor for Servants. Without a Master, a Servant can not manifest for long." The lecture continued, pausing when the boy snapped his fingers.

"Oh, I get it. You're a spirit that wants a wish from Dagda's Cauldron, and you need me to keep you anchored to this world. You'll pass on to the otherworlds without me." he summarized, nodding his head.

The warrior could only look at the child as he attached his spear to his back. Why did this child understand matters of the supernatural easily but had no clue what armor was?

"That is correct. But please do not misunderstand. Your own wish will be granted as well, when we win." They stated.

"'When we win'…" The boy repeated as he picked up his sack again. "So, this ritual is a… competition?"

"Correct. Seven pairs of Servants and Masters will battle against each other. The victorious pair in the end will be granted their wish from the cauldron."

The child quietly contemplated as he began to walk again. "Well, that… sounds interesting. But… I don't need the cauldron to grant my own wish." He shrugged. "And as much as I'd like to repay ya for helping me fight the Nuckelavee, I just don't got time to do this whole ritual. I got things I gotta do. Sorry. You should try to find a different Master before you pass on."

The warrior followed the boy through the forest. To the warrior, the young, barely seven years old looking child was obviously trying to put on a brave face by lying. There was no way he didn't have a wish, otherwise there was no way a Servant could be summoned. And there was no way anyone could be too busy to fight for the chance to grant their own wish. So there was only one possible explanation for his attitude.

Fear.

"I understand that asking a child to stand against some of the mightiest warriors of your time and other times may be unreasonable to most. But rest assured, if you were to join, none will come close to harming you. Until the Cauldron is won, I will make sure you are protected." The warrior promised.

The boy stopped in his tracks as he listened to the samurai speak. "Did… did you say the mightiest warriors of my time?" He asked slowly. The warrior paused. The way the boy spoke… that didn't sound like fear or indecision. But what emotion his voice carried was foreign to them.

"Yes." The warrior answered simply. The boy's grip on his sack tightened at the answer. His whole body began to shake. Before the warrior could ask any questions, the young child threw his head back and let out an excited yell.

His voice echoed through the forest, scaring away the birds. The warrior noticed a happy expression on the boy's face as he hollered. Finally, he stopped and looked at the black samurai.

"Alright, how do I join the ritual?" his voice was filled with… excitement. The warrior only felt confusion at this, but decided to ignore it. Time was of the essence, after all.

"We must provide two clauses for our contract… I believe your people call them a geas." They explained. The boy paused, his face grimacing.

"Really? Aw… I have enough of those, I don't want mooooooore." he whined. He folded his arms, pouting as he leaned against a tree. "I need to think of a good geas…" He muttered. "Maybe 'Don't eat grass'?"

"It can not be just any geas." The warrior interrupted his thought process. "It must be our conditions for working together in this ritual. They will be the foundation of our connection."

"Okay, so something better than grass eating…"

"Keep in mind, that if we break these geas three times, then our connection will be severed, and we will no longer be able to participate in the ritual." The warrior added. "Do not pick an impossible condition."

"Euuuuuuuuugh." The boy let out a disgusted noise as he racked his brain. The warrior was almost sure they saw smoke coming out from his ears. Finally, after several minutes of thinking he spoke up. "Okay. My condition is this. If we are to work together in this ritual, then we must not run away from any challenge." He looked up at the samurai's masked face. "Is that okay?"

The samurai pondered on that. To them, it wasn't a particularly difficult request. With their overwhelming power, any challenge they ran across would be blown away like insects incinerated into ash. It was just an odd request.

Best not to question when a blessing fell into your lap.

"That is acceptable." They replied. The newly appointed Master grunted as he suddenly felt a burning on his right hand. Looking down, he could see golden etchings carving itself into his skin.

"What the—?" The new Master mumbled as he stared at the strange markings.

"Now for my condition." The Servant stated. The boy looked up to his new Servant as they continued. "We will not become close. You and I are Master and Servant. Nothing more. Nothing less. Is that understood?"

The Master tilted his head at that. What did his Servant mean by that? Of course they would be Master and Servant, what else could they be? Unless they meant something else? Like literally standing close to them? Or maybe it was just that simple?

Best not to question when a blessing fell into your lap.

"Okay, that sounds good to me." he said as he took a step back. Suddenly the burning returned with a vengeance. Looking down at his hand, the boy saw what appeared to be golden markings vaguely making the shape of a spear going through a ring.

"With that, our connection is created. I swear on my entire being we will win this ritual, my Master." The warrior stated as they got on one knee, bowing respectfully. The new Master stared at their Servant, unfamiliar with the gesture. There was only one way to deal with unfamiliar gestures.

He gave them a thumbs up.

"Cool." he said with a smile. "Now, let's get outta this forest before the sun goes down." The warrior watched as their Master turned around, retracing the trail of destruction. After a slight pause, the Servant stood back up, dusting off their knee.

The two were quiet for the rest of the walk, neither knowing how to speak to the other. The sun was beginning to set over the horizon as the two finally walked out of the forest. The sky looked as if it was set ablaze as night came.

The air became chilly as they created distance between them and the forest. When they made it far enough from the forest to not risk a spark igniting it all, the warrior dumped the body on the ground. The body took his spear and struck the ground. With a grunt, he dragged the weapon around the body, creating a ditch around it.

Once the ditch was dug out, the boy put away his spear. He then cracked his fingers, the popping sound filling the air. He placed his finger on the body, tracing a symbol with his digit.

The warrior watched as their Master's finger left a glowing trail of blue behind. After he finished drawing out the symbol, the blue symbol's glow intensified. It burst into flames, which began to consume the body.

A foul smell began to fill the air, causing the boy to stumble back, gagging and retching. He covered his nose as he turned away, doing his best not to throw up.

The Servant stood there, watching their Master make a fool of himself. They stood dignified and stoic in the face of the awful smell.

A few minutes passed before the boy managed to stand up straight and attempt to look unaffected by the smell. "Hey, I kinda forgot to ask, but what's your name?" he asked, looking up at the samurai's mask. The warrior was silent for a few minutes, deciding how to go about this.

"I do not believe I should tell you that, my Master." They answered. Only the sound of the fire crackling filled the air as the boy stared at the warrior's mask.

"Huh? Why not? Are you not allowed to or something?" he pushed back, trying to find an answer.

"It is nothing like that. This is simply what I believe is for the best. You are but a child." For the first time, the Servant's voice changed. For a singular word, it sounded as if they were spitting venom. "No matter how you try to hide it, there are many ways to gain such information from you." Their voice had returned to normal, like nothing ever happened.

The boy folded his arms angrily, staring up at the warrior. "I wouldn't tell." He insisted.

"A Servant's name is their greatest weakness. If my name was known, it is possible that an enemy would be able to plan my demise. I will not risk that. This is for the sake of your victory, Master."

"I wouldn't tell." was the mumbled response from a Master that was only paying half attention. He shook his head in frustration.

"I know it will be difficult to work together without something to call me, so you may call me Rider." The warrior ignored the boy's pouting.

"Ri… der…" The Master muttered. "Another weird word…"

The two fell silent after that. The boy looked at Rider expectantly, waiting for the inevitable question. To his surprise though, it never came. Even as the fire's crackle died down, even as the body was consumed slowly by the flames, the question never came.

By the time the body was completely ash, the moon hung over the sky. The child looked up, seeing the full moon shine brightly.

"Well, I guess we better tell that village the monster is dead…" The boy muttered as he walked away from the ashes. Rider followed, their movements silent despite their heavy footsteps.

It didn't take them long to find the village. The homes were made of wood, with bundles of hay as their roofs. The village rested along the coastline, with several boats tied up at the homes. Rider could tell this village made its living off fishing.

They couldn't imagine why a creature with a horse's body would disturb a coastline village.

In the center of the village was a massive bonfire which lit up the night brilliantly. Around that fire were the people of the village, all dressed up with animal skins and wearing masks over their faces. They danced around it joyfully as food cooked around the massive bonfire.

A slapping noise caught Rider's attention. Looking down, they could see their Master slapping his own forehead.

"Oh, duh. It's Samhain. No wonder why you were able to appear in front of me." Their Master muttered to himself.

"Samhain?" Rider asked automatically, before they realized they probably already knew the answer to that. It was too late to take it back now though.

"Yeah, it's when, uh…" The boy paused, snapping his fingers as he looked for the right words. "It's the one day a year when the divisions between this world and the otherworlds are at their thinnest, so spirits and monsters can pass through." He answered, sounding like he was reciting a lesson from memory. He motioned to Rider. "And you're a spirit. The ritual's gotta be set up around this so the Servants can be summoned easily." He said with a nod.

That made sense to Rider, even if they had no way to confirm this theory.

The two walked into the village. Rider was surprised to see that the villages didn't seem alarmed at their appearance. Perhaps the villagers just assumed they were a spirit?

As they approached the bonfire, a large man wearing the most extravagant costume and mask approached them.

"Hey, Mr. Chief sir." The boy said with a wave, "I took care of it." He placed the sack on the ground. "Lost my sword though."

"That explains why our livestock are slowly recovering… I'll be damned. You actually did it." The chief mused. "To think, the monster that cursed us for years, fell by a small child." He looked over to Rider. "Of course, unless you helped him?"

"Only at the end." Rider stated. "And it was the boy that landed the killing blow." The man nodded understandingly.

"Well, either way, our village thanks both of you." The large man bent down, looking at the shards. "Hmm… this sword was well made… are you sure you still only want a boat?"

"Yeah, that's all I really need. I— I mean, we need to get to Erinn as fast as I can." The boy explained, motioning to Rider.

The man's eyes drifted up to look at Rider. "Are you sure you need to go to Erinn, child?" The chief asked. "Alba's a fine country, and we could use more boys like you." Said child only shrugged.

"Sorry, but I got important business in Erinn. It's not something I can just drop."

The man nodded, eyeing Rider before putting a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Just be sure to not be misled by any spirits, alright?"

"Ah, don't worry about me, old man." The young child laughed, picking up on the man's implication. "This was something I had to do even before I met Rider."

"Alright, if you're sure." the man relented as he stood up. "Well, let me show you where we're keeping the boat." The large man headed out towards the sea. The boy and the warrior followed behind closely. The sounds and lights from the festival died out as they walked to the coast.

As they approached the ocean, the boy took it all in excitedly. He looked in wonder as he took his first steps in the sand. The smell of the salt filled air caused him to crinkle his nose. And he looked at the ocean in awe, staring at the water extending all the way to the horizon.

The man led them to a small hut. Its state of disrepair made it obvious that no one had lived in it for a long time. Next to it was a small boat. It was in a much better state of repair, looking almost like new. It was a small thing, maybe fitting three people at most.

"There it is then. I can teach you how to use it when the sun rises." The man said gently.

"There is no need for that." Rider suddenly spoke up. "I know how to ride a boat, and the sooner we leave, the better it will be for everyone."

The man looked baffled, even with his mask on. "B-but, it's the middle of the night! That's dangerous! What if—"

"It will be fine." Rider interrupted. Without another word, they picked up the boat with one hand. They knew showing off their strength like that would intimidate the man. They then walked to the ocean, setting the boat in the water.

"W-well, I suppose I can't stop the two of you…" The man muttered. "I wish you good luck on your travels, boy." The man rushed back to the village, eager to return to the safety of the bonfire.

"That was kinda mean." Their boy stated as he watched the man run off.

"The truth often isn't kind." was Rider's response as they sat in the far side of the boat, waiting for their Master.

The boy could only shrug before he walked towards the boat. He barely took a step before he noticed someone approaching them, also dressed up in animal skins. A colorful mask also covered their face. Despite this, the young child recognized them.

"Oh, what are you doing here? You should be celebrating with the others, yeah?" He asked as he walked.

"I just… came to see you off." A young girl's voice came from the figure. Her voice seemed sad, although the boy couldn't imagine why.

"Oh… well… thanks, I guess…?" he replied awkwardly.

Rider sat in the boat, mentally trying to block out the conversation. It was so awkward that even they were beginning to have a hard time keeping stoic. The two children were quiet as the boy finally made it to the boat.

"Do you think you'll ever come back?" The girl finally mustered up the courage to ask as she watched the child barely any older than her, climb into the boat. The boy looked back, looking the girl straight in the eyes.

"Nope!" He answered with a cheerful smile and an innocent tone. Rider was sure that the girl was extremely thankful for the mask on her face right now. She ran off back to the village, quietly sobbing as she ran. "That was weird…" he muttered as he watched her run off. He pulled himself up, finally sitting in the boat.

"Worry not about it." Rider commented as they took an oar in their hands. They pushed off, and the boat was finally in the ocean. The boat bobbed as the waves pushed against it, but Rider's skill allowed them to keep pushing forward. The new Master could only grin even wider as he kept his eyes ahead, not even looking back at the shoreline they came from shrinking into the horizon.

He stood up, moving next to Rider as they rowed. He pointed to the horizon ahead and shouted excitedly,

"Alright, to Erinn we go! Let's win this ritual!"

Arriving in Erinn New
The ocean was a horrible place.

Rider watched their Master come to this conclusion in real time. It was right after the third time he threw up into the ocean due to seasickness. A pitiful sight to be sure.

The boy groaned as he slumped into his seat. He looked like he was about to melt into the floor.

"Are we there yet…?" He mumbled.

"Not yet." Rider answered as if this wasn't the fifth time in the last hour he asked. Their Master only let out a groan and wrapped himself up in his cloak like it was a blanket.

"I wish I could sleep…" He muttered. Rider wished the boy could as well, but it didn't seem likely with the way the boat rocked. Rider estimated that they had about 5 hours until they actually reached Erinn, but they couldn't be sure that was right.

The ocean was a treacherous place, no matter the age. And on this small boat, they were at the ocean's mercy. That didn't even include the things in the ocean itself. They never knew if they were going to be attacked by a sea monster, after all.

The sounds of splashing suddenly caught Rider's attention.

Their first instinct was to look at their Master. Did they fall into the ocean in the tiny span of time Rider wasn't paying attention to them?

To the Servant's relief, the boy was still wrapped up in his cloak and in the boat.

The splashing still echoed, slowly becoming louder and louder. Listening closely, Rider realized something was off about the splashing. Every splash happened too close to another. It wasn't like a fish leaping out of the water, or even a sea monster treading above water. It sounded like… a horse running on the water.

Rider looked over their shoulder just in time. They saw a brilliantly white horse galloping on the water's surface. The horse never broke its stride, undisturbed by the waves of the ocean.

On the horse's back was a young woman. She had long purple hair that was tied back into a ponytail. Her long sleeved, skin tight black bodysuit showed her body was toned from physical training. However, the light blue robes looked as if they belonged to a mage.

Rider quickly stood up, gripping their sword tightly. Their stance was sturdy even with the boat rocking from their movements. The waves pushed the boat, causing it to bob up and down. The horse seemed unaffected by the same waters. Looking closer, Rider could see the waves simply didn't reach the horse, creating a patch of calm waters.

A Divine Beast, no doubt about it.

"Peace, I mean you no harm." The woman stated stiffly as she held up a single arm as if surrendering. "You are the final Master and Servant, yes?"

"Who's… askin'?" The Master called out despite his seasickness. The woman looked past Rider's intimidating form to look at the boy. Concern etched itself on her face as she looked at him, but she continued with her duty.

"I am Muirenn of the clan Fraga. With the blessing of the sea god, Manannán mac Lir, I am the acting overseer of the Dagda Cauldron Ritual." She introduced herself.

"... What?" The Master mumbled.

"If she is who she claims she is, then she is the one who watches over the ritual and enforces the rules." Rider explained patiently.

"There are rules…?"

"This ritual is a substitute for war between two nations." Muirenn explained stiffly. Before she could continue, the boy moved for the side of the boat again. It went quiet as he once again threw up into the ocean. Muirenn's concern only grew at the sight. "On second thought, how about we get to land before I finish explaining things to you?"

"W-we're almost there?" The boy asked, a tiny amount of cheer in his voice as he sat back down.

"You have about an hour left by boat." Muirenn explained. "But… if we use Aonbharr here to pull your boat to land, it should take maybe ten minutes." The horse suddenly snorted, as if it was offended by the notion. Muirenn stroked the horse's mane in response. "I know, I know, but if we get them to land faster, then you can go back home faster." She reasoned with the horse. The horse simply snorted again, but made no other moves.

With that settled, Muirenn reached into her cloak, pulling out a rope. Gently, she tossed one end at the boat. It flew cleanly at Rider. Even someone with the most inept hand-eye coordination could catch that rope.

And yet Rider made no move to, letting the rope fall into the ocean.

"H-hey, Rider. Y-you're supposed to catch that…" Their Master muttered even as he did his best to keep the final contents of his stomach in his body.

"Master, you should not be so trusting." Rider stated firmly. "They claim to be the overseer of this ritual, but how can we be sure?" The eyes on their mask glowed a piercing turquoise. "This could very easily be a trap. She could easily take our boat to somewhere that's advantageous for her Servant and attempt to eliminate us."

This was a reasonable concern. However, Muirenn knew the best way to prove her innocence. She reached down to her sleeve to peel it back when the boy suddenly spoke up.

"Yeah, but we could… beat them, right?" Rider's head turned slightly to look at their Master through their peripheral vision. The way he spoke… it wasn't a question of if it was possible. No, he was asking if they were allowed to.

The thought that they could lose never even crossed the boy's mind.

"That is not the point, Master." Rider chastised. "Even if you can escape from a trap does not mean you should just spring it."

"It's not a trap." Muirenn interrupted, causing Rider to look at her. She pulled down her sleeve, revealing the back of her hand. Her skin was clean and clear. Muirenn then pulled down her other sleeve, revealing it too was markless. "I swear to you on the name of the god I serve, Manannán mac Lir, that I am the overseer of this ritual, and I shall bring you to land safely."

Rider pondered those words for a second. In this time, swearing on the names of the gods was not something to be taken lightly, no matter the land. A god's wrath was not something to be trifled with, after all.

Rider extended their hand out, waiting to receive the rope.

Muirenn took a moment to reel back in the rope from the ocean. This time when she threw it, Rider caught it. Rider then carefully tied the rope to the bow of the boat, making sure it was secure. When they were confident that the rope would hold, they gave a nod to Muirenn.

Muirenn patted the neck of Aonbharr, who snorted once more. It lifted up a hoof and dropped it gently on the water.

What happened next could only be described as a miracle.

The waves died down with a single tap of the horse's hoof. However, it was not as if the tapping of the hoof created a ripple that calms the waves. Instead, a path of calm water formed from the hoof, stretching all the way to the distant shore.

"Hold on tight!" Muirenn called back to the Master and Servant before taking off. The horse galloped off, towing the boat behind it. Rider's stance remained firm even with the sudden change of speed. They didn't even stumble.

Rider sat down as the boat moved, faster than anything the Servant had ever seen go across the water. They could see the quick speed and steady movement was lulling the boy to sleep. Yet he fought to stay awake.

Right when he was about to lose the battle, the sounds of splashing disappeared, and their smooth ride was over. The horse drew the boat onto the land, allowing the boat's occupants a safe departure.

Rider took a graceful step out of the boat. Their Master flopped face first into the sand.

"Are you okay?" Muirenn asked as she dismounted the horse.

"No." The boy's muffled voice shifted the sands. Rider looked down at him, but did nothing to help. They simply stepped over his prone body and approached Muirenn.

"Why did the overseer wish to see us?" Rider asked as they stood like a towering statue.

"It's to explain to you a few things… and to offer you a choice." Muirenn explained, not showing any signs of intimidation. The boy lifted up his head, the sand slipping off his face.

"A choice?" he asked.

"Yes. You see, this ritual has several purposes." Muirenn stated. "The most… pressing one is that this is meant to be a substitute for war between two kingdoms. Each kingdom would get an equal number of representatives to fight for Dagda's Cauldron."

"Hold." Rider commanded. "Equal number? That does not make sense." The Master swiveled his head to look at his Servant. "This ritual summons seven Servants. That is not something that can be split equally."

"Yes… that's… an issue." Muirenn admitted. "This wasn't the original intent of the ritual, and thus, wasn't made with that in mind. A fact that has been communicated with the leaders of these nations many times, and yet…" Rider could see the woman trying to restrain her frustration.

"So are we the odd pair out?" The boy asked as he finally stood up. There was a small twinkle in his eyes as he continued. "Are we gonna have to fight both kingdoms?"

"Something like that, yes." Muirenn stated. "Because this is a substitute for war, both sides are using more than just Masters and Servants for this. They are sending their best warriors to support them. And people like you, foreigners from another land… you have no such backup. It will be just you against the mightiest of two kingdoms."

"You mean there's even more than six we're gonna have to fight?" the grin on the young child's face would be adorable, if not for the subject matter. "That's perfect! Ain't no way I won't—"

"This is not a game!" Muirenn suddenly snapped, causing the boy to pause. "You'll have to face down some of the mightiest warriors of Erinn for this wish. They won't… they won't hold back because you're a child." Muirenn let the threat hang in the air, before Rider suddenly interjected.

"They would fight a child with all their might? Without hesitation?" Rider asked, their voice hardening.

"Of course." Muirenn stated. "I dunno how it's done where you're from, spirit, but here in Erinn, the boys can be trained to be warriors from a young age. And as warriors, they have to go at each other with all their might. It's simply the Celtic way." She paused, turning to look at the young Master. "But… that's not something we should force on an outsider who wasn't even meant to be in this war. This war was supposed to be contained in Erinn, and yet you, someone from Alba, was dragged into this nonsense. You shouldn't have to fight this impossible fight for something as simple as a wish."

Rider stared at Muirenn, trying to discern her intentions. After a few seconds, they spoke up. "You are going to offer him a way to rescind this contract."

"Yes. As overseer, I can beseech the god I serve, Manannán mac Lir, to rescind your geas, and free you from all this." Muirenn's gaze never left the Master, her serious face unable to hide her own worry. "A child shouldn't have to do this…"

The boy was quiet for a second. He looked up, staring at the stars as he thought to himself. Finally, he asked a single question.

"Rider. Can you take on an army?"

"If that is what you wish for." Rider responded automatically.

"And I can do the same. So by my math, we come out the winners against two armies." The mischievous smile on his face could only spell trouble.

"No, that's—" Muirenn sharply inhaled before continuing. "I get you think you're strong, but the warriors around here are peerless. Someone as young as you can't—"

"I know that." the Master spoke up. "Of course the warriors are peerless. I came into this specifically to fight those powerful warriors. Even if I did give Rider up and quit this war, I'd go looking for them. Rider just makes it more likely they'll come for me." he grinned.

A relationship of convenience. Rider nodded as their Master stated his reasoning. He was truly holding up his part of the pact.

"If that is the case, then you don't need them to do that! You can break the contract with your Servant and search for those warriors by yourself!" At this point, Muirenn's desperation for the Master to break his contract was very obvious.

"Well, sure, but, ya know." The Master shrugged. "With Rider, they'll be easier to find, it's easier to travel, and I can help Rider get their wish. Feels like there's no downsides to this, you know?" He looked at her, tilting his head. "I don't see how traveling with Rider is more dangerous than doing it without him."

It was strange to Rider. Why was Muirenn so desperate to get the two to separate? One could chalk it up to wanting to have one less wild card in this fight, but that didn't seem right. Her pleas were too… emotional to be anything based in logic. They weren't trying to get the boy to give up a wish, they were trying to get him out of harm's way. But the boy made it clear that he would seek out the warriors anyways.

The answer became crystal clear to Rider at that moment.

"She believes you will not find those warriors without me." Rider contributed. "Or at the very least she thinks that without me, they will not actually take you seriously enough to fight you."

Muirenn tried to keep a stone face, but the way she slightly flinched was proof enough that Rider had hit the nail on the head. The Master had no reaction to this other than scratching his head in confusion.

Seeing as she wasn't able to convince the boy, Muirenn switched her plan of attack. She looked over to Rider, her eyes narrowing.

"So then, is that how warriors from your land act, spirit?" Muirenn's words came out almost like she was spitting out poison. "Endangering children for your own selfish gain?!"

So now she was trying to get Rider to break the contract. A desperate move to be sure, but the verbal jab was hard for Rider to refute. Deflecting however… that was easy enough.

"If you wish to judge warriors from my homeland, then also judge the warriors from your own." Rider chastised. "The fact that you even need to worry about the warriors attacking my Master over myself tells me that you have no moral high ground."

"I can't change how my people act." the overseer snapped back. "But you can change just how much danger you put that child in."

"Wait, hang on." The Master spoke up, drawing the two adults' attention. "Rider and I have a geas about not running away from a challenge. Getting Rider to break our contract is definitely breaking that geas condition. And the backlash from doing that wouldn't keep me safe, that's for sure."

Muirenn cursed under her breath. The boy had her at checkmate here. It was true that the consequences of breaking a geas could very easily lead to a person's death. Although, more importantly… forcing someone to break one was a move only the lowest of individuals would go for. She would forever stain her clan's honor and standing with the gods if she tried to push it.

She let out a deep sigh of defeat.

"As much as I wish I could, I can not force you to give up your spot in the ritual." She shook her head. "Nor could I, in good conscience, force you to break a geas." She paused as she tried not to sigh again. "If you ever change your mind, and believe that it is worth the backlash, come find the clan of Fraga. They'll be able to lead you to me. I can both rescind your contract and protect you until you've recovered from the effects of breaking your geas."

"Thanks, but I won't need that!" The boy said with a smile.

"Just keep it in mind." Muirenn stated as she climbed back on the horse. "The ritual begins at sundown tonight. Until then, all participants are on a ceasefire. Keep that in mind. Last thing we want is for you to have to face the consequences for breaking the rules." She looked at both Servant and Master before letting out a sigh.

Her gaze narrowed in on Rider with the final poison she spat at them. "Rejoice, spirit. You won in the end. I hope your wish is worth it."

With that, the horse took off.

"Thank you! Bye!" The boy shouted as he waved at the retreating form of the horse. The two stood there in the dark, letting the sea breeze blow by them. "What a nice lady." he commented as he put his hands on his hips. "I thought we'd have to fight her for sure."

Rider didn't respond. At the moment, they were thankful for the child's seemingly inexhaustible enthusiasm. They could tell that if Muirenn had sensed any sort of waver in his resolve, she would have talked the boy out of the ritual.

Well, there were more important, more practical things to worry about than what ifs.

"So what shall we do with this boat?" Rider asked as they looked down at the boy. He shrugged at first, but then the breeze blew by, causing him to shiver.

"Maybe we should break it up for firewood." He suggested before walking to the boat. He cracked his knuckles as he stood by the sea faring vessel.

"Are you sure?" Rider asked. "Is that not something you need to return to that village?"

"Oh, nah. The chief said that the person who owned this isn't around any more, so it's mine to keep. And I ain't going back any time soon, so…" The boy stated with a smile. He then took a stance, pulling back his fist. Rider could instantly tell what his's plan was. That seemed very stupid to them.

The Servant walked up to their Master, nudging them away from the boat with their hand. They ignored their Master's indignant cries as he fell on his butt again. Taking a deep breath, Rider took a stance, gripping the handle of their blade.

Rider swung their blade, splitting the boat in half. Another swing, and the boat was in fourth. They continued to swing until the boat was only a pile of neatly cut wood. Only the sounds of the waves accentuated the sound of Rider sheathing their sword again.

Rider didn't acknowledge their Master's impressed look. They simply walked over to the pile of wood, picking out some of the biggest pieces. Wordless, they looked for a spot far enough from the water, and far away from the new pile of wood.

Before Rider could put the wood down, the boy rushed over. With a grin, he scooped up some sand with his bare hands. In a few seconds, he dug out a small pit perfectly sized for the wood Rider held. Rider placed them down, and their Master drew a rune on them.

The rune ignited into flame again, illuminating the night.

"That was much easier than usual." The boy commented before suppressing a yawn. "I guess… we should figure out sleeping shifts, huh?" he rubbed his eyes as he looked at Rider.

"No. I do not need sleep." Rider commented. "I will keep watch for the rest of the night." The boy blinked before nodding slowly.

"Oh, it's because you're a spirit?" The boy asked. Rider paused, hesitating for a second. They then nodded slowly in response. "That makes sense…" he said with a yawn. He wrapped himself up in his cape again and flopped to the ground.

It only took a few seconds until the sounds of the young child's snoring filled the air.

Rider could only stare at the sleeping boy. In his exhaustion, their Master didn't make sure to put aside his weapons, or make sure he was far enough from the fire. There were plenty of ways that could go wrong. The last thing Rider needed was to lose the war before a single battle.

With the quiet grace of a ninja, Rider picked up the boy's little cloak cocoon. Carefully, they unwrapped him from his cloak. With one hand they held up his body while with the other they took away his spear and his dagger.

Rider put him back on the sand, neglecting to wrap him back up. They took a second to look at their Master's weapons. Both seemed unremarkable in every way. No magecraft, no deep history. There were simply ordinary weapons one could get from any weaponsmith.

Remembering how the boy pulled the dagger from behind his cape, Rider decided to carefully check him for anything else dangerous. They placed the weapons on the sand away from their Master as they began their search.

Carefully checking their pockets, Rider found something unusual. Instead of another weapon like they expected, they found a golden ring. It was rather ordinary to Rider. Other than it being gold, there was nothing about it that seemed important. No magecraft cast upon it, no cryptic message etched into it.

In fact, the only thing that could be considered unusual was that it was too big to fit on a young child's fingers. It probably would only fit on their thumb.

Why would he have something like this? Perhaps it wasn't theirs to begin with. Did he steal it?

Rider didn't know the boy well enough to say for sure, but he didn't seem like the type to steal. A family heirloom then? Rider subconsciously touched their mask as they thought about heirlooms. Would they want to pass this armor on as an heirloom to their own children…?

A second passed before Rider snapped out of their daze. They carelessly dropped the ring next to the weapons before picking up their Master again. With clumsy hands they wrapped him back up in their cloak while kicking at the sand at the same time.

After digging a big enough ditch, Rider laid the boy down in it. That way they didn't have to worry about him rolling around in their sleep. The last thing they needed was their Master accidentally cooking themselves in their sleep.

They took the weapons and the ring and walked away from the sleeping child. They then found a good spot away from the fire, where the light and heat barely reached them. Finally, they gracefully folded their legs, sitting in the sand. The weapons and ring were placed on their right side.

And there they waited in quiet mediation, a silent sentinel in the night.

The night passed quietly. The only sounds were the gentle sounds of the waves drowning out the boy's snoring. Rider sat in place, attempting to keep their mind clear of distractions. The only time they moved throughout the night was to get up to replace the wood in the fire once.

It only took a few hours for the sun to rise over the horizon again. As dawn broke, filling the sky with beautiful colors. Rider looked to their Master, who at this point was still sleeping peacefully.

Normally, Rider would kick them awake, and get them ready for the day. However, it didn't seem like the best idea right now. After the harrowing boat ride the boy endured, it would likely be better for his health if he slept a little longer.

Yes. Having an unhealthy Master would make it harder to win the cauldron. So it was in their best interest to let him sleep. It was simply logical.

That's all it was. Not kindness, calculated warfare.

So Rider did not move again for the rest of the morning. They let the fire die, its warmth no longer needed. Rider sat there silently, caring not for the heat of the rising sun. As the shadows were chased away by the light, Rider could see the beach the two found themselves on much clearer.

The water was a vibrant blue, and the sands a brilliant white. In the distance behind them was a great line of trees. It stretched far into the distance, cutting the beach away from the rest of the land. It was a safe spot for now, but Rider knew they would need to move when the boy woke up.

All it would take is one storm to change this beach from safe to life threatening.

It was a little before noon before the boy began to stir awake. He sat up slowly, groaning as he rubbed his eyes. "Mom…? What's…?" He blinked as he looked around. "Huh…?"

"Good morning, Master." Rider's tone remained as even as ever. Their Master looked at them, blinking twice before yawning.

"Oh right. I ain't home any more." He muttered as he looked up to the sky. He covered his eyes when he realized the sun was shining. "... Huh… did I sleep in?" he muttered to himself.

"I thought about waking you at dawn." Rider explained. "But seeing how you were kept awake by our boat ride, I figured it would be wiser to let you rest."

"... So that's what it feels like to sleep in…" He muttered to himself. He stood up, taking off his cape. He put his hands in his pockets, feeling around for something. The second he didn't feel it, his face changed.

Gone was the tired child. His eyes sharpened as he looked grim and serious.

"Rider." He said in a serious and forceful tone. "In my pocket, I had a golden ring. Tell me you have it right now." It was more a command than it was a plea. Rider looked down to their right, seeing the ring glisten in the sunlight. They picked it up gently.

"I do." Rider stated in a monotone tone.

"Give it back to me." The boy's tone was harsh as he held out his hand. "Now." he demanded. No guise of politeness, no thanks for keeping it safe. Just a harsh tone and a wild look in his eye. One that was unmistakable.

He would attack Rider if the ring was not given back.

For a few seconds, Rider did not move. Countless thoughts swarmed through their head. An attitude like that would surely get the boy in trouble in the future. Should they warn them of it? Should they try to correct their behavior?

No. Their Master was not their child, after all.

"As you wish, Master." They answered as they gently tossed the ring through the air. The boy caught it and held it close to his body. He looked down at it, checking it for any scratches or imperfections. After brushing off some sand that found its way on the ring, he put it back in his pocket.

And suddenly, he was a cheerful, innocent boy again. He let out a loud yawn as he stretched. Rider could hear the popping sounds coming from his body. After he stretched, the boy began to bounce on his toes. He threw a few jabs at the air, the sound of whistling coming from his fists.

He began to move around, taking small, calculated steps in the sand. With slick movements, he began to pivot around, throwing jabs at an invisible enemy.

This was around the time Rider realized their Master was doing a training routine. It brought back memories of their own childhood, of their own training. To think this boy would willingly get up first thing in the morning and do this before any sort of breakfast… just how hard were they pursuing strength?

"Master." Rider decided to simply not think about it. "We need to discuss what our plans for today are."

"Plans? What kind of plans?" The boy asked as he began to throw kicks into the air.

"We will need to find food—"

"Right, right, makes sense."

"And will need to set up a base."

"Base?" he stopped as he turned to look at Rider. "What's a base?"

"Think of it as… a temporary home for us while the ritual is underway." Rider explained. Their Master paused at that, stopping his morning training. The way his face scrunched up told Rider he was deep in thought.

"I… I don't think I can do that." The boy mumbled as he folded his arms. "I… Yeah, I don't think we can make a base." There were no signs of disappointment from Rider, yet they pushed back.

"Why can we not make a base?" Rider asked simply.

"I…" The boy paused, looking at the ocean. "Hmm…" he began to think to himself. "We're in a strange land. We don't know where it's safe. Even if we do find somewhere safe to set up a 'base', we don't know how long it is until the others find us. So it's better to be on the move, right?" He reasoned out.

The logic was seemingly sound. But Rider wasn't one to just back down from someone that was simply their 'Master'.

"While this is true, a base would allow us to recover our energy much easier. Even if we were to be chased out, the rewards surely outweigh the benefits." This wasn't necessarily true. Rider knew this. But Rider had to see just how their Master would push back. "And besides that, we could use magecraft to make the taking of a base harder, could we not?"

The boy rubbed his chin. "Well, that might be true, but… my teacher told me the runes I use aren't suited for things like that. She said people around these parts use… Ogham letters. And that they're more suited for druids. My runes though, they're more fit for warriors… but that also means I can't really set them up in a way to defend a base." He admitted.

"We could enforce it without the use of magecraft." Rider pointed out. "However, I do admit at that point, we might as well be building a fortress, something that is not very feasible." They ran out of ways to push the boy. "Very well. We will do it your way, Master."

"Cool." he replied quietly before turning to look around. "Do you have my spear too…?" He rubbed the top of his head as he looked around. Rider reached down and grabbed the boy's spear.

"Master." Rider called out to get the boy's attention. When he turned to look at them, Rider gently tossed his spear at him. He caught it easily, giving a nod of appreciation to Rider. He spun the spear in his hand lazily as he walked a small distance away from Rider. After finding a good spot, he stopped spinning his spear and firmly grasped it with both hands.

He lowered himself into a stance, narrowing his eyes as he began to focus. It took him a second to imagine his opponent, but he was soon training again. His thrusts were quick yet powerful. Rider quickly noticed that each strike was aimed at the vital areas of an adult woman. They couldn't find a flaw in their technique.

But this child… they couldn't be any older than seven years old. How early did his training start?

Suddenly, the ground began to rumble.

Master and Servant stood up instantly, staring at the trees. The ground shook again. The sounds of flapping wings filled the air as hundreds of birds scattered into the sky.

The ground shook again. Both the boy and Rider figured out what the rumbling was. It wasn't erratic enough to be an earthquake. It was happening too often to be something like a landslide.

No. Something big was walking by.

The boy immediately rushed towards the trees, armed with only his spear. Rider looked to the dagger and cape their Master left behind before running after him. Their Master's protection was far more important than their possessions.

The boy traversed the group of trees gracefully, leaping to the branches above. He leapt from tree to tree, the forest being more of a playground than an obstacle for him. As for Rider, they ran along the ground. Their heavy armor allowed them to ignore the random branches and roots growing from the trees.

It didn't take the two long to emerge from the small patch of trees. They found themselves at the side of a dirt road. While many things could be said of how quaint the road was, or how beautiful the trees that surrounded it were, the truth was neither took notice of those details.

For a monster walked on this road.

Rider's hand grabbed the hilt of their sword instantly, drawing it in one smooth motion. Their eyes behind their mask darted around, taking in the monster's form.

Its massive height rivaled that of the trees that surrounded them. Its two human-like legs were as thick as the tree trunks, and the last thing that resembled a normal living being.

From its sides and its back sprouted out large and muscular human-like arms. Rider quickly counted twenty-eight arms on the monster. Each arm alone looked as if they could crush a human's skull with no issue.

A head sat on top of the monster's body, right where one would expect to find a head on a normal person's body. Wild and long black hair tumbled down the monster's head like an ebony waterfall.

Its body was proportionally muscular, giving the monster a lean yet powerful look. But that power and those extra arms, they were not what gave the monster a disturbing presence.

It was the extra faces.

Across its entire body were faces. The faces of boys and men, all arranged haphazardly around the monster's body. Twenty-eight faces, fifty-six eyes. All were trained on the two. The most worrying thing of all was that unlike the Nuckelavee, those fifty-six eyes had the spark of intelligence behind them.

This creature was nothing like Rider had ever seen before. Countless monsters they had slain, and yet none came close to matching this monster's grotesque features. Worst of all, Rider could feel a large amount of mana within the monster.

Rider took a deep breath as they crouched down, getting ready to rush at the monster.

In a moment, it was like everything else disappeared.

Only they and the monster existed. What the monster was doing, what it needed, even the Dagda Cauldron Ritual… none of that mattered to Rider in this moment. All they saw was a monster that needed to be slayed, and as a monster slayer, Rider would perform their duty.

With booming thunder, Rider took off. The ground cracked from the sheer force of Rider taking off, rushing at their new quarry.

They didn't notice their Master running alongside them. They barely noticed the armored people rushing out from behind the monster. Rider's motions were mindless and automatic as they swung their sword at the new warriors rushing at them.

Over ten men were blown away with a single swing. A second swing sent another five flying. Rider only finally noticed the men when they saw the monster using their arms to catch the flying men.

Contrary to a monster's instinct, the monster handled each man quickly yet gently, setting them back on the ground. Each warrior gave the monster thanks before rushing out to intercept Rider and the boy once again.

The largest head, the one at the top, then did something that caught Rider off guard. It spoke.

"Lay down your weapons, oh warriors." The head spoke in a deep yet gentle tone. "We are not here to—" Before the head could finish its sentence, something resembling the sound of cracking thunder rang out. Much to Rider's confusion, it didn't come from them.

Their eyes barely caught sight of a rock flying through the air at supersonic speeds before it nailed a head sitting right under where the monster's heart would be. The face cried out in pain as blood flowed out from its forehead. An arm reached up and covered the bleeding spot, trying to seal the cut.

Rider and every face turned to look at the young boy. He was reaching down to grab another rock from the ground. He looked up at the injured face and gave a cocky grin.

"I'm gonna kill that little shit!" The injured face roared as it stared at the boy with rage burning in its gaze. The arm that was holding its face reached behind the creature. That's when Rider and their Master noticed a large cart was tied to the monster's waist.

As for the cart's contents, that was quickly answered when the hand grasped a mighty spear. It was far bigger, far longer, and far thicker than the boy's own spear. The monster's arm swung back around.

Another crack of thunder, and the rock rocketed into the monster's wrist. The hit caused the hand to drop its weapon. The injured face glared at the boy. The young, cocky child only wagged his finger playfully in return.

"That's it!" The face roared as a hand reached out to grab the boy. Rider moved, raising their sword over their head. With one clean movement, they brought down the monster slaying sword.

Yet the blade did not cleave through flesh as expected. The attacking hand was pulled back at the last second. Looking at the monster, Rider saw that several of the other hands had grabbed the attacking hand's wrist. They held it back, making sure it couldn't attack the young boy.

"Our queen told us not to fight anyone besides Cu Chulainn!" The big head on top roared. "You will not disobey our queen!"

"A queen of monsters?" The boy taunted as he spun his spear in his hand. "That sounds like something we should take care of."

"Hey, whoa. Uncalled for." A young face on the monster's stomach suddenly called out. "I get we're ugly, but threatening our queen is really crossing a line, buddy."

"Honestly, even attacking us was uncalled for." A slightly older face on the left pectoral muscle added. "It's understandable that we're ugly and monstrous and all that, but we weren't even attacking anyone. In fact, you two attacked us and our comrades when we were just trying to get supplies to our base."

"Yeah, is this how Ulster conducts themselves?" Yet another face called out. "You're breaking the agreement we all took when this ritual started!" A hand pointed at Rider. "And don't try to claim ignorance, you have one of those Servants. I don't care how young you are, an agreement is an agreement!"

"Uh…" The Master paused, looking over to Rider. Rider kept their hand on their sword, not speaking up. The boy sighed and looked at the monster. "I uh… I ain't from Ulster…"

"Well, you're definitely no one from Connacht." Another face spoke. "The queen handpicked every Master from there herself, and you weren't there!"

"Yeah, I'm from Alba…"

"Oh, joy. That's exactly what we needed. A foreigner coming in and ruining this great ritual!" A face situated on the left shoulder growled. All twenty-seven other faces began to groan. Several arms went and covered several faces as the left shoulder face began to rant incoherently.

The boy looked over to Rider, confusion on his face. Rider remained as stoic as ever. They did not drop their guard however.

It wasn't uncommon for monsters to mimic humans in order to lull them into a false sense of security, after all.

"Hey, Clan Calatin! What's taking you all so long?!" A voice suddenly called out from behind Master and Servant. The two turned to see a man walk down the road towards them.

The man walked with confident strides. His muscular body told the story of his efforts, and the three claw-like scars on his shirtless chest told of his hardships. His purple hair was styled into short spikes, and his eyes seemed to be squinted shut. Despite that, he walked without hesitation or fear.

The two knew, this was someone that was strong.

"We were transporting the goods as instructed when we were assaulted by this boy and his Servant!" Clan Calatin defended themselves as they pointed their arms at Rider and the boy.

"Oh, really? That's your excuse, huh?" The man asked as he looked down at the boy. The young warrior's gaze hardened as he began to look over the man. "Well, did you two 'assault' them?"

A moment passed, and no answer came from Rider or the boy. Rider turned their gaze to their Master, obviously expecting him to answer. What they saw was their Master giving the man the same calculating look that he did to Rider when Rider was first summoned.

Surely it was obvious this man was reasonable and no foe?

Another moment passed with the boy remaining silent. The man looked to be getting impatient. However, as the boy's Servant, Rider didn't think it was their place to speak up. They reached down, nudging him on the shoulder.

"Will you not answer him?" Rider asked when their Master broke his gaze to look at Rider. There was another second of silence.

"... Won't you?" The boy replied, a confused look on their face. The two stared at each other for a moment more. Finally, Rider turned back to face the man.

"We thought they were a mindless monster, and sought to rid the world of them before they caused too much damage." Rider explained. The man simply nodded in response.

"I can't really fault you for that." The man muttered as he rubbed his chin. "They are pretty ugly…" He nodded in understanding. "Well, if you two are willing, we can consider this water under the bridge, yeah?"

"No." Rider stated coldly and robotically. "Even if it is not mindless, something like that is a threat to the world of man."

"Hey now, that is a man. Well, 28 men." The mysterious man explained. "It's some weird druid magic or something, I don't know all the details. But that is the entirety of Clan Calatin fused into one being. They are of sound, human mind. Trust me, if they do anything to hurt anyone innocent, I'll kill them myself."

The man said it so casually, like they were discussing the weather. This was reassuring to Rider.

"Keep your word." Rider finally relented. The man looked at the monster and the men behind him. A quick jerk of his head told them to get going. The group nodded back in response and quickly moved back into formation. A few seconds later, the men and the monster were marching off.

The strange man stayed behind, however.

"Just makin' sure you two keep up your end of the bargain." The man explained. "Last thing we want is you two to attack us from behind."

"I have more honor than that." Rider stated dryly.

"You, maybe." The man replied with a grin. "Him though?" He motioned to the young boy, who was still staring at the man with a scrutinizing gaze. "He looks raring for a fight."

"Perhaps he wishes to slay your Clan Calatin. I certainly understand where my Master is coming from." Rider reasoned. "After all, monsters are meant to be slayed by humans."

"Hey, I told you, they aren't some mindless beast. They're perfectly reasonable." He then paused, before finally admitting the unspoken problem. "Well… they probably won't be like that for much longer." The man stated solemnly as he turned to watch the giant form of Clan Calatin disappear further down the road. "Shame too. That family had a bright future." He shook his head. "If that's what our queen wants though…" He turned back to the two, satisfied with their patience. "See you two around." He said with a small wave before going to follow the group.

"Hey." The boy finally spoke up again, calling out to the man. The man turned around to look at the kid, raising an eyebrow as he did. "You're a powerful warrior, aren't you?" the kid asked, glaring straight into the man's eyes. The man only let out a deep laugh at that.

"One of the best! Why do you ask, kid?" The man answered with amusement.

"Do you know who Scathach's greatest student is?" The boy asked coldly. The man's face changed at this, becoming hard and serious. The atmosphere went from light hearted to heavy in an instant.

"Who wants to know?" The man asked.

"None of your business. Do you know them or not?" the child fired back. The man let out a laugh, but not a jovial one like before.

"Are you truly so naive to think I'd tell you something like that for free?" The man's face hardened as he glared down at the boy. "If you want to know something that important, then you need to beat it out of your opponent by force, right?"

"I'm warning you just this once." The kid snarled at the man. "If you're gonna make me fight for the answer, then you better get your friends back here. You won't stand a chance without them."

"Oh, you think you and your Servant are too much for me to handle?" The man let out yet another laugh.

"No. I just know I'll beat you with or without Rider." The boy stated. Both Rider and the man noticed that the young child wasn't boasting. He wasn't saying any of this with any sort of pride.

He was stating it as a simple fact.

"Oh, is that so?" The man's tone was a mix of annoyance and amusement. "Well, if you're so confident that's the case, then I definitely want both of you to fight me. I've been itching for a good fight for months!" The man grinned as he drew out his weapon.

It resembled a sword, if someone was to use the bare minimum to describe one. Its blade was made of a twisted metal, creating a double helix of power.

The sight of it caused both Master and Servant to stiffen up. It was obvious that it was more than a sword. It was a weapon that bore into all. Nothing could withstand it, a spiral that manifested victory for its wielder. Such a weapon could only have one name, wielded only by one kind of person.

The Master and Servant quickly got into their stances, Rider drawing their blade as the boy gripped his spear.

The man simply laughed at the sight of them.

"Even if you won't give me your name, I'll give you mine. You face Fergus mac Róich! Try not to die, nameless!!"

Pierce a Child with Your Drill! New
The wind blew across the leaves quietly as the three stared each other down. The two adults waited patiently, while the boy impatiently bounced in place.

Rider's eyes drifted over to their Master. If the boy took off, then Rider would hold back. Against a warrior like Fergus, it was better for the two not to get in each other's way. Looking back at Fergus, Rider saw he was looking at their Master as well.

Or at least, they believed he was.

It was hard to tell where he was looking with his eyes squinted shut like they were.

While there was a moment of calm, Rider took the time to mentally go over the situation. The geas that they and the boy agreed upon was to not run away from any challenges. Despite Fergus's excitement mere seconds ago, he did not actually issue a challenge to them.

That did mean Rider could allow the boy to face Fergus alone.

On one hand, that was highly irresponsible. As a Servant, it was their duty to protect their Master from potential harm. Otherwise, there was no way that they would achieve their wish in the end. The fact that Fergus simply drawing their sword made Rider draw their own was a testament to how irresponsible it was to send their Master in to fight alone.

On the other, and likely far more important, hand. It was obvious from the few hours Rider spent with their Master that he was incredibly optimistic about his own power. A big fish in a small pond, as it were. He even believed he could take on an army. While Rider was confident that they could defend their Master from any challenger, they knew it was impossible to stay by their Master's side every second of every day.

With warriors willing to go all out against children, it was only a matter of time before such an attitude would end badly. It could be even worse if they ran into a Servant. It was best to nip this problem in the bud now. Hopefully, their Master would learn a lesson and not boast about not needing Rider.

It was decided then. They would let their Master fight until he was beaten down, and then save them at the last second. That was the best way to secure their victory in this ritual.

While Rider finished making their decision, the boy took off.

He rushed headfirst at Fergus, his body low to the ground. The tip of his spear scraped the ground as he ran, cutting small grooves into the ground. The boy ran with the confidence of a warrior superior to his opponent, rapidly approaching Fergus.

Fergus took a single step forward, a seasoned warrior preparing to strike.

The boy's grip tightened on his spear as Fergus raised his sword over his head. Despite the obvious danger, he didn't change his course.

With a roar, Fergus slammed his sword down like an earth shattering hammer. With one more step, the boy would become a nail. Stopping was no longer an option. If even tried to slow down, his momentum would carry him right into the sword's path. Diverting to the left or right would be disadvantageous to the boy. His speed would slow down to turn, and that likely would get him hit by the attack.

In one move, Fergus had the boy pinned.

So the boy took a new option.

Right before the sword could make contact, the boy leapt high into the air. As he flew up, he twisted his body so it was parallel to the ground. He held his spear close to his chest, making sure it wouldn't scrape against the ground. He began to spin, building up power for his next strike. When his small body made it above Fergus, he held out his spear. The weapon's tip barely grazed the ground.

With a yell, the boy performed one final rotation.

The spear spun around, rising up into the air before coming down like a scythe.

Fergus moved his body sideways, avoiding the spear by a hair's breadth. With his free hand, Fergus launched a powerful uppercut into the boy's stomach. He let out a grunt as his fist didn't connect with the boy's stomach like planned.

The boy had tucked in his legs, covering his stomach. Fergus pushed against the defending shins, grunting more as he completed his uppercut. The young warrior was sent flying high into the air, soaring over the treetops.

Fergus watched as the boy flew into the air, a wild grin on his face. His head then tilted towards Rider.

"You're one of them Servants, right? Aren't you gonna help your Master?" Fergus asked.

"No." Was Rider's blunt reply. "This will teach him a lesson."

"Ah, the ol' training regimen of hard knocks, huh? That's harsh." Fergus chuckled. "Well, I guess I'm not one to talk. Every one of my kids went through that and came out stronger for it."

Suddenly, a vertical cut appeared on Fergus's cheek.

The two looked up at the same time. They saw the boy retract his spear as he fell back to the earth. He had a look of intense concentration as he readied to thrust his spear again.

Fergus barely had time to raise his sword before the boy started to rapidly thrust his spear. The sheer speed and power behind each thrust genuinely surprised Rider.

The attacks came down like rain, threatening to overwhelm Fergus. Loud thudding noises could be heard as each attack left behind deep grooves in the earth. The sheer speed of his attacks created afterimages, making it look as if Fergus was attacked by eight spears at once.

Gritting his teeth, Fergus swung his sword defensively, using all his focus to avoid the attacks. It was something that should inherently be impossible, something akin to dodging individual raindrops from a storm.

Yet as Rider looked closely, they noticed that none of their Master's attacks were actually reaching Fergus. Every time the spear came close, Fergus would slightly adjust his position, using his sword to knock away blows from the spear. Rider's grip on their sword tightened as they watched. Was Fergus simply so fast he could keep one step ahead of a wild assault?

No, that didn't seem to be right. He didn't seem to be reacting to the strikes. After a second of thought, the answer struck Rider.

He was predicting where the strikes would go. The precision and calm Fergus had while making these predictions was truly on a different level. That was something only years of fighting could hone.

Their Master was right. Fergus was a powerful warrior.

After three seconds of the intense attacks, the boy stopped. The ground was fast approaching him, so he adjusted himself to land safely.

The second of respite was all that Fergus needed. As the boy landed, Fergus reared back, gripping his sword with both hands. The 'blade' of the sword began to spin, much like a drill. The boy, not seeing a chance to counterattack, held his spear up defensively, ready to push back against the blade.

But that was a futile act.

Rider could sense the mana in the air. As the sword spun, the mana was drawn to it, spiraling around the blade. This caused the blade to spin even faster, causing even more mana to be drawn in. The way it spun plus the strength behind Fergus's swings couldn't be anything but devastating.

There was no way a simple spear would be able to stand up to that.

Fergus swung, and the boy's eyes widened. Before his very eyes, space was bending. He could see his spear, his fingers, his arms, all bending in an unnatural curve, following the same path as the mana being sucked in by the sword.

The sword made contact with the spear and snapped it in two. It didn't even slow down as Fergus completed his swing.

With this, their Master had no weapons, and Rider knew it. Fergus turned his attention to Rider, a grin plastered on his face as he raised his sword again. Rider got into their stance, ready to step in.

Until the boy took his right hand and smacked Fergus's knee with the broken spear shaft.

Rider watched as Fergus stumbled forward. The warrior tried to catch himself, tried to regain his balance, but the boy quickly followed up by using the other half of the broken spear in his left hand. He swung in a wide arc, allowing the sharpened tip to slice across Fergus's chest, in the opposite direction of his three scars. Blood dripped down from the wound the boy inflicted.

"First blood goes to me." The boy's voice had not a hint of excitement, not a hint of disgust. It was just a simple fact he stated. He backed away, twirling the two halves of his broken weapons in his hands.

"Seems so kid." Fergus's response was much more exuberant, a wide grin plastered on the man's face. He was ecstatic at the realization that he didn't break the boy's weapon. He simply gave him two.

This time, Fergus was the first to move, stepping forward and swinging an unspinning Caladbolg once more. The boy moved forward, using his left hand to hold up the sharp half of the spear. It blocked Fergus's swing, although everyone could tell the boy couldn't hold back Fergus's raw strength for long. Seamlessly, he swung the other half of the broken spear, smacking Fergus's waist, causing a loud slapping sound to echo through the woods.

That strike was more startling than damaging, like a teacher snapping their student awake rather than a punishment. The boy retracted his broken spear, going to strike Fergus's leg again. However, he paused as he realized that Fergus's free hand was coming down. It was an ax-like chop that aimed to strike the boy's head.

The boy quickly stepped to his left and used his right hand to swing the blunt half of his spear. It struck Fergus's wrist and pushed the attack away from the boy.

However, in order to do this, the boy compromised his leverage against Caladbolg. With a shout, Fergus twisted his hips and used his sword to smash his opponent into the ground. The resulting blow shattered the earth beneath their feet. Chunks of the earth were launched into the sky, creating a crater with Caladbolg as its epicenter.

Before the boy could attempt to stand back up, Fergus kicked him in the chest. The force of his kick sent the boy flying away and towards the left. He hit the ground and bounced off, like a rock skipping across a lake's surface. He finally came to a stop by crashing into the trunk of the trees that lined across the road.

A moment passed before the boy stood up, wiping his lips with his thumb. "That's the best you got?" He asked, looking no worse for wear.

Fergus let out a loud, boisterous laugh. "Oh, you want me to pull out all the stops, huh? You only had to ask, nameless!" He raised his sword above his head. The drill began to spin once again, and the earth in response glowed.

The boy stared in awe as golden motes of light floated into the air. They came from all around. The grass, the trees, the air itself. The golden light surrounded them like a divine blessing from heaven itself. The drill kept spinning, drawing in the motes of light. They spun around the drill, faster and faster.

The winds picked up, swirling around the drill. The trees began to creak, bending towards the spiraling sword, as if to bow to a king. The grass began to sway towards the blade, as if worshiping a savior.

For a moment, it looked as if space itself was twisting around the blade, around Fergus. He stood, unaffected by the howling winds and the twisting space. He held his sword high, undeterred by it all.

"Grow like a rainbow." Fergus chanted, his voice carrying over the winds. "Become a sword of infinite length." As he spoke, the golden light changed. It became the colors of the rainbow, spiraling around Caladbolg in a beautiful double helix. It surrounded the sword like a mystical sheath, bathing the area in a beautiful light.

The boy was frozen in place, enraptured by the rainbows of the sword. The sight of the world itself submitting to the sword, twisting itself to the wielder's desires. He'd never seen anything like it in his short life.

He smiled. The world truly was a big place! He'd get his answer yet!!

Rider saw the same sight and had a different reaction. Where their Master felt excitement, they felt only trepidation. The swirling rainbow, the earth twisting around Fergus's will. Only someone who was truly powerful could pull off a feat like this. A king that stepped forward and claimed what was his.

"Rainbow, spill forth from where the spiral leads. Pierce the very heavens themselves!"

Neither the Master or the Servant were wrong with their reaction. Caladbolg contained enough power to tear apart the world. To level mountains, to create new valleys, to scar the Earth permanently in a single swing. And yet, at the same time, the beauty of the rainbow served as a reminder to humanity. To take the dreams of yesterday and the will of today and weave them together into a double helix. To always walk towards the future, no matter what stood in your way.

Perhaps the only thing that could match such a beautiful power was a divine blade of the gods themselves.

"Caladbolg!" Fergus roared as he swung his sword.

The result was instantaneous.

Rider felt an immense blast of mana shooting out. It was so powerful that even Rider was blown back. They dug their feet into the earth, trying to keep their balance. In the end, they remained upright, but they were pushed back even further away from Fergus and the boy.

The trees behind the boy were all cut right above their roots. The mighty trees were pushed into the air, leaving a trail of stumps all the way back to the beach. The entire forest, standing for hundreds of years, was carved out instantly by a single swing of Caladbolg.

The boy stood up, looking at the sheer destruction. He turned back, looking at Caladbolg. Gritting his teeth, the young warrior grabbed on to both halves of his broken spear with one hand as the other reached behind his back, searching for his dagger. However, all he grabbed was air.

"What the—? Where's my dagger?!" The boy grasped at the air repeatedly, as if his dagger would manifest if he just kept trying.

"You left it back at the beach." Rider called out, neglecting to mention that they were the ones that took the dagger off their Master's person in the first place. The Master didn't answer Rider, instead eyeing the forest.

The trees were beginning to fall back to the earth. It would be dangerous to head back to the beach now. And yet to the boy, his best key to victory was there.

"I'll be back." The boy said before running off towards the falling trees.

"Oy! Who said I was gonna let you get a weapon?" Fergus cried out, rushing to the boy. He reached out his hand as he ran, ready to grab the boy and drag him back into the fight. However, one of the trees slammed into the ground in front of Fergus, blocking his way. "Dammit." The man cursed as he jumped on top of the tree. He waited for another tree to crash into the ground before hopping to that one.

Slowly but surely, he was making progress across the falling forest.

Rider watched the two disappear behind the trees, standing still for a second. After letting a few more trees fall, Rider let out a breath. A golden glow appeared beneath Rider, taking the form of a horse. After a split second, the glow faded and revealed a large black horse.

"Onwards, Kyōgoku." Rider commanded, pointing to the fallen trees. The horse snorted before leaping into the air. It landed on the thick tree trunks and galloped across them. With their sharp eyes, Rider could see Fergus running one step behind the falling trees. He perfectly timed his jumps so he would land on a new tree just as that tree hit the ground.

Further ahead was the boy. He ran across the stumps of the mighty trees, staying one step ahead of the trees as they fell from the sky. He never broke his stride, never hesitated. He just kept running. Even as the trees came close to landing on him, he stayed just one step ahead.

Finally, the running young warrior leapt off the last stump, making it back to the beach without being squashed.

He took one second to scan the beach, looking for their campsite. He quickly spotted the remains of the campfire they made and dashed off towards it. He ignored the sounds of the forest crashing into the earth behind him, the sounds of rumbling thunder, and the yells of Fergus. All he did was run.

When he got to the campsite, he quickly found his dagger. He scooped it up, spinning it in his hand as he looked around for another one of his possessions.

"Where's my cape…?" He muttered to himself. He remembered leaving here, but he couldn't find it at the campsite. His eyes drifted over, seeing Fergus charge at him like a runaway bull. He had about five seconds before Fergus would be right on top of him. That wasn't a lot of time.

The boy quickly turned around, looking further down the beach. That's when he noticed it. His cape was blown further down the beach, and caught on a group of rocks. It looked as if it could slip away and fly into the ocean at any second.

Ignoring Fergus, the boy started to run again. Once he had the cape, his final attack plan could be put into motion. However, before he could truly get going, Fergus rammed right into the boy shoulder first, sending him flying into the sand.

"You done running?" Fergus asked with a grin as he dusted off his shoulder. The boy didn't answer. He pushed himself up to a knee slowly, his hands clenching around his two pairs of weapons.

With the speed of a viper's strike, the boy spun around and struck Fergus's knee with his broken spear shaft. Fergus let out a cry of pain as his body slumped. He caught himself, kneeling on one knee instead of laying on the ground. That was until the boy smacked him across the face with his spear shaft.

Fergus fell to the ground, groaning a little. The boy dropped his broken spear halves before turning and rushing towards his cape once more. It didn't take long for him to grab his cape. The boy grinned to himself. With this, his victory was sealed.

He turned around to face Fergus, watching the warrior stand back up. He also noticed Rider riding up to them on a horse. He blinked in confusion. Where did Rider get a horse from?

He shook his head, focusing back on his battle.

Once again, he charged at Fergus, his cape flapping behind him as he ran. His dagger reflected the sunlight as he closed the distance. Fergus took a wide, sturdy stance once more, watching the boy's moves.

The boy himself kept an eye on Caladbolg, measuring it mentally. Once he was just outside Caladbolg's reach, he threw his cape up between them. This created a blue curtain that concealed his next move.

It didn't last for long though. Less than three seconds later, the cape was quickly pushed aside by the dagger the boy threw. It rocketed at Fergus's stomach, threatening to pierce him like an arrow.

A grin came across Fergus's face. If the boy was trying to distract him with the sheet and dagger, then…

Fergus swung his sword in front of him, knocking away the dagger that was flying right at his stomach. This was an obvious sequence of events, planned meticulously. A sheet to block his sight, a knife to draw away his attention. To force him to look down and create a blind spot above him.

Essentially, it was the same move the boy pulled at the beginning of the fight, but with more planning behind it. If he was a lesser warrior, then this might have worked on Fergus.

Fergus was anything but.

Without looking, he quickly threw a punch into the air above him. His fist would connect with the boy that was leaping up to strike him. With a successful counterattack, he would follow up with a—

His neck exploded with pain as his fist hit empty air. Something had hit him from behind. The force of the blow sent Fergus careening down the beach, his body bouncing off the sand several times, leaving small impressions of his body in the ground.

When he finally came to a stop, Fergus quickly stood back up, rubbing his neck. He knew he was hit, but by what, he couldn't imagine. It wasn't Rider's sword, or he likely wouldn't be alive right now. He looked up, seeing he was blown a fair distance away from where he was. But more surprising than the distance he crossed was what the boy was doing.

He was landing from a kick, his body glowing with a mystical power.

Did that kid… kick him in the back of the neck? But how? To get behind Fergus in a blink of an eye and to strike him before he could even register he missed his counterattack? That kind of speed could only be reached with the use of—

He couldn't finish his thoughts as the boy crossed the distance in a blink of an eye. His fist crashed into Fergus's stomach, causing the man to gasp out in pain. The ground shook from the impact, throwing sand into the air. Fergus took off like an arrow, flying across the beach before crashing into the earth.

It was at this moment both Fergus and Rider realized they made the same mistake.

They greatly underestimated this boy.

Fergus realized why the boy was glowing, why the boy's speed had nearly tripled in an instant. Honestly, there was only one explanation. The young warrior was using the power of Primordial Runes.

But how? Even ignoring the fact that only a select few warriors had access to that, Fergus had his eyes on the boy the entire time. There was no point where he drew any runic symbols. Even if he miraculously had a way to activate them without drawing them, there was a telltale glow, one he couldn't miss.

Unless there was a cape blocking his vision.

"You clever kid." Fergus grunted as he stood back up. By now, the mystical glow around the boy vanished, signifying the end of their benefits. Fergus cracked his neck, as he rubbed the bruise forming on his stomach. "I'll admit, those were some pretty good hits."

"And there's plenty more where those came from." The boy retorted as he threw a few punches, the air whistling around his fists. "Unless you wanna just give up now?"

Fergus laughed. "It'll take a lot more than some good hits to get me to surrender, kid!" He got back into his stance, readying Caladbolg.

"Couldn't hurt to ask." The boy stated as he lowered his body, making himself a smaller target.

"Oh, it can definitely hurt to ask. Just got to find the wrong people." Fergus commented as Caladbolg began to take in mana once again, spinning faster and faster. The two stared at each other, ready to make their next blow their last blow.

The sound of a woman screaming stopped the two in their tracks. The fact that it came from the ocean was very concerning. Looking out to the water, they caught a glimpse of a woman's head being pulled underwater.

Fergus took off in an instant. Without hesitation, without thought. As if the battle he was in never happened. His heroic figure rushed to the ocean, Caladbolg's spinning only intensifying. He moved faster now than he ever did during the fight.

All to save one woman.

"Hold on, fair maiden!" He roared at the top of his lungs. His body disappeared under the waves. The only evidence he was ever there was the water beginning to swirl due to Caladbolg.

The boy stood there, the tension in his body loosening as he lowered his arms. "Uh…" There was no way the fight was over yet, right? No one won yet. They… they had to finish! They would finish. There was no way a warrior would abandon a fight like that.

The air grew eerily quiet as Rider found themselves staring at the waters. This felt too familiar to them. A woman being drowned… was this the work of a monster?

Their Master still stared at the ocean, unable to tear his eyes away. Why did Fergus— suddenly, it clicked for him. He knew what happened and what was going to happen. "Rider!" his voice rang through the air, drawing Rider's attention. "There's going to be more of them! Get ready!" He shouted as he ran towards his dagger.

Rider noticed their horse starting to get restless, their head turning to the left. Following the horse's gaze, Rider discovered their Master was correct in his assertion.

From the forest galloped forth three creatures. They resembled horses, although their size paled in comparison to Kyōgoku. They appeared to be made of water, with a fish's fin replacing their tail and a noticeable lack of eyes. They looked harmless, but when it came to monsters, looks were very often deceiving.

Which was a hard lesson the three girls 'riding' on the horses' back were surely learning at this moment. The lower halves of their bodies were submerged into the horse. No matter how much the girls struggled, they couldn't pull themselves free. They could only watch in horror as the ocean came closer and closer to them.

Rider drew their sword, black lightning crackling around it once more. Kyōgoku took off towards the water horse, doing its best to intercept them before they went into the ocean. The three monsters were of the same herd but kept some distance between them. Perhaps they caught their prey at separate times.

It didn't matter though. At this moment, both Rider and their mount were of one mind.

Monsters must be eradicated.

Without a word, Rider swung their sword through the air. An vertical arc of black lightning was formed from the swing and shot out towards the monsters. The arc traveled for less than three seconds before it sliced off the hindquarters of the horse at the back of the pack.

The two halves fell apart, both turning into water and a small squishy mass that resembled a jellyfish. The black haired girl screamed as she fell into the sand, but she was otherwise unharmed.

Rider noticed a glint of light streaking towards the head of the horse leading the pack, the one whose hooves were entering the water. The light struck the horse right where its eye would be. The head exploded instantly as the boy's dagger flew through it and into the ocean. The rest of the horse's body fell into the water, leaving behind only the small gelatinous mass. The red headed girl riding its back fell into the water, although the water was shallow enough that she was not in any real danger.

The final monster, realizing the danger it was in, reared up, braying like a horse to try to scare away its attackers.

It didn't work.

The boy dashed past Rider, his speed once again empowered by his runes. He grabbed the waist of the blonde girl off the horse's back. With a grunt and a heave of effort, he managed to pull her out of the horse's water. He held her close to himself as he leapt away from the monster. Rider followed up by swinging at the horse's stomach. The lightning infused blade easily sliced through the water, and the lightning electrocuted the horse even as it was sliced in half.

The boy landed by the water. He effortlessly held the girl he rescued with one hand, using his other to grab the girl who fell into the water by the ankle. He then dragged her out of the water, bringing the two to the final girl who fell into the sand.

He dropped the girl in his hand unceremoniously, the girl letting out a little surprised sound as she landed on her butt. He pulled the girl he was dragging right next to the other two girls.

Rider came to a stop by the girls, climbing off Kyōgoku to stand in front of the girls and next to their Master. The girls huddled together, afraid of the armored giant that stood before them.

Looking down at them, Rider took in the differences between the girls. They were all of varying ages, the oldest looking to be about 14 while the youngest looked to be about 7 years old. Their eyes looked over to their Master. He looked to be about the same age as the youngest in this group.

Rider turned their attention back to the girls. "What are your names?" They asked in their monotone, robotic voice. The three girls looked confused, taking the time to look at each other.

"I… don't think it's wise to give our names to the fae." The oldest girl, the one with the black hair said, doubt and fear creeping into her voice.

"They ain't the fae." The boy stated as he folded his arms. "They're a spirit, that's totally different." He shrugged. "Besides, why are you all so jumpy now? You climbed on the back of water monsters thinking that'd turn out fine for ya."

"Oy!" The red headed girl in the middle said as she tried to stand up, only for the oldest and the youngest to keep her sitting. "We thought those were steeds of Manannán mac Lir!"

"Well, they ain't." The boy snapped back. "Those were kelpie, not Manannán's horses." he explained. "They lure people to ride on their backs before rushing them into the ocean and drowning them. Then they feast on the people's flesh." The girls turned pale at his horrifying explanation.

"Like kappa…" Rider muttered to themselves. Their Master's head turned as Rider muttered, tilting his head in confusion.

"Kappa?" He asked. The gears turned in the boy's head, and something seemed to click for him. It wasn't really fair to chew into someone about a monster not native to their home, right? "Well… I guess it ain't your guys' fault you confused a kelpie for one of Manannán's horses." He admitted to the girls with a shrug. "That does make me wonder why kelpies are here. They're from Alba…" The Master rubbed his chin. While that technically wasn't too far away, monsters didn't normally wander across the entire ocean.

"... Perhaps they are drawn here due to the Cauldron." Rider stated. "Attracted to its massive amount of mana."

"... That makes some sense…" The boy muttered. "I guess we'll have to be a little more careful then." Who knew what other kind of monsters, foreign or otherwise, might come crawling out of the woodwork due to the Cauldron.

As the two talked amongst themselves, the three girls looked at each other. After a second of silence, the youngest, the blonde, finally spoke up. "Cadhla." she said. The boy looked at her, blinking.

"What?"

"Cadhla. That's my name." The girl explained. "Your spirit friend wanted to know it."

"Roisin." The oldest one said, keeping her eye on Rider.

"And I'm Aigneis." the middle child chimed in. The Master and Servant nodded at the same time as they processed the names. Rider went to speak, but before they could, the boy went first.

""Well, Cadhla, Roisin, and Aigneis, can you three make it back to your homes by yourselves?" He asked. The other four present turned to look at him as if he was crazy.

"Master, I do not believe that is the proper response to give to them." Rider stated. While of course their focus should be more on the war, sending the three young girls out on their own would likely not gain the duo any favorability with the country's inhabitants. Which was not a position the two could afford to be in.

"I mean, I'm sure they wanna go home as soon as possible, but it ain't like we can escort them. We gotta deal with him first." The boy pointed to the ocean. "I doubt he'll just let us get away after—"

The boy's sentence was interrupted by a gigantic pillar of water erupting from the ocean. It swirled like a whirlpool even as it stretched up into the sky. The group turned to look at it in confusion and awe.

From the top of the pillar flew out Fergus. The force of the spinning pillar launched him through the air. Like a meteor from the heavens, he crashed into the beach. The sand was blasted into the air, obscuring the view of him for a few seconds.

When the sand was blown away, they could see his muscular back facing them. In his arms was the woman he saved, unconscious, but very much alive. The girls stared in awe of Fergus, but Rider's sights were elsewhere. Their gaze was solely on their Master.

"Took you long enough!" The boy grinned as he took his stance, bouncing on his toes. "Let's do this quick then!"

Fergus didn't answer him. Instead he walked towards the forest. He didn't even look back. It was as if the boy and his challenge never even existed for him. The group stared in stunned silence as the water pillar collapsed back into the ocean.

"Oy!" The boy shouted at Fergus. "Where're you goin'?! Get back here and finish our fight!" He took a step forward, only for Rider to grab him by the shoulder.

"The fight is over now, Master." Rider told him in a monotone but gentle voice.

"What? No it ain't!" Their Master shouted, ripping his shoulder away from Rider's grasp. He spun around to face Rider. "This fight ain't over until he's in the dirt and telling me who Scathach's greatest student is!!"

"It is obvious he is not going to fight you." Rider countered.

"That ain't true!" The boy's shouts only grew louder. "A warrior doesn't just back away from a fight, especially not one like him! He'll put the girl down, and then I'll put him down!" He turned around to face Fergus. "Now leave me alone and—"

The boy's voice died in his throat as he looked at the beach in front of him. Fergus was gone. His footprints went into the forest, and his figure had long disappeared in between the still standing trees. The boy stood there, stunned. Did Fergus really abandon their fight?

The next sound out of the boy's throat was a vicious scream of anger. With a voice that would awaken spirits sleeping in the earth, the boy screamed towards the heavens. His anger and his sorrow all poured out in that single scream.

Rider looked down at the young girls, seeing them huddle together. Whether it was in fear of their harrowing experience or the wrath of the boy, Rider wasn't sure. Perhaps it was both. It was a pathetic sight, honestly. Perhaps it would be better if they were to—

"Well, I guess we can take you home after all." The boy suddenly turned back to the group, an exasperated look on his face. His chest was heaving, his body shaking from exertion, but other, he looked normal. Like he didn't just scream like an angry monster.

"You sure? We wouldn't want to inconvenience you after all." Every word Aigneis said dripped with sarcasm, something the other two didn't agree with. They tried to stop her, but the words came out, unable to be taken back.

"Thanks for your concern, but it's not really an inconvenience." The boy said as he shrugged, missing every drop of sarcasm. "The only thing I had better to do ditched me." He stated as he pointed to the sky. "'Course, if you wanna go home alone, we can let ya do that."

Aigneis went to open her mouth, but Roisin slapped her hand over it. "Please, take us home." She almost begged.

"Okie dokie." The boy stated, stretching a bit. Rider got on a knee and held out their hand towards the girl.

"Come then, we will make sure no harm befalls you." They stated in a neutral tone. The girls looked at each other for a second. Roisin cautiously reached out her arm, placing it into Rider's palm. With a gentleness and grace unexpected from one so heavily armored, Rider helped the girl onto her feet.

Aigneis was next up on her feet, and Cadhla soon followed her.

"So… where's your village at?" The boy asked. The three girls looked at each other before Aigneis walked forward.

"I'll lead the way." She said enthusiastically as she walked off. The boy nodded as he followed her. Rider took a step, before noticing that there were two strange weights on their body.

Looking down, they saw that Roisin and Cadhla grabbed their hands. That was… less than desirable. Rider was tempted to force the two to walk on their own, but deep down they knew it would be faster to let them have their way.

And besides, these children weren't the problem.

Rider followed behind their Master, walking carefully so the two girls wouldn't be dragged behind them.

Aigneis led them through the forest, taking careful steps. Everyone stayed behind her, letting her lead. They made it through the first forest without issue, getting to the dirt road where they met Fergus.

The group stopped at the dirt road. They looked to their left. No one was coming their way. To their right, the way was clear too. At the very least, there would be no more distractions. The group crossed the road to go into the forest on the other side.

The forest itself was very quiet. Rider carefully observed their surroundings as they walked through the trees. Now that they had more people in their group, Rider would have to be more vigilant. Their group was large enough to look appetizing to a larger monster, but not large enough to dissuade any attacks.

Thankfully, besides a few grazing deer and several birds, Rider saw nothing in the forest. Although, perhaps a little more worryingly, it was getting harder to tell where they were. The trees loomed over them like silent sentinels, and all looked similar to each other.

Yet Aigneis walked forward without faltering. Her confidence really convinced everyone that she knew where she was going. They followed her without questioning, even as the minutes stretched on.

However, children's patience was a very finite thing.

"Wow, this is takin' a while." The boy finally commented as he put his hands over his head.

"Well, excuuuuuuse us for not having a horse!" Aigneis snapped as she turned to look at the boy with a wild look in her eyes, her flame red hair only making her look even wilder. Rider was sure she was ready to start swinging at him right here and now. Still, she kept walking, not letting her annoyance distract her.

"Actually, come to think of it, Rider has a horse." The Master turned to look at his Servant. "Where did that horse even come from?" He asked. "Heck, why aren't you ridin' it now?"

"Kyōgoku comes when I will him to." Rider explained. "The reason I do not do that now is because he is too big to run swiftly between these trees."

"Eeeeeh, no real way to speed up then? Boooo…." The boy pouted.

Suddenly, a large growling noise echoed throughout the forest. It seemed to come from everywhere at once, causing Rider to stiffen up in preparation. The birds took off in a panic, as the deer disappeared into the darkness of the forest.

"Was that a monster?!" Roisin asked, clinging to Rider's arm. The growling rumbled through the trees again, causing the girl to cling even tighter to Rider.

"Ah, no, sorry." The boy raised his hand. "That was me. I ain't ate breakfast yet." He shook his head as his stomach growled once more. "Imma go see how much further we have until we get out of this forest."

With that, the boy latched on to the nearest tree, and started to scale the trunk at an inhuman speed. He soon disappeared into the leaves above, the rustling of the leaves being the only proof he was there.

"He's weird." Cadhla muttered, pulling herself closer to Rider.

"Is he?" Rider asked rhetorically as they stared at the trees.

"Well, whaddya know?" the boy's voice echoed from the treetops. "If we stop yapping, we can be outta here in five minutes!" he suddenly fell out of the tree, landing next to Aigneis. "You were headin' the right way too, good job!" He grinned.

What was sincere sounded condescending.

"You twat!" Aigneis shouted as she punched him on the shoulder. The boy stumbled back a bit, caught off guard.

"What was that for?!" He asked. Aigneis didn't answer. She simply stormed off, headed towards the end of the woods. The boy stood there, more confused than anything else. He looked to Rider, as if they had some sort of answer.

"Worry not about it, Master." Rider said simply as they went to follow Aigneis. Their Master sighed to himself as he rubbed his head. He gave himself a second to try to figure out what he did wrong before he went to catch up with the group.

Soon, they managed to exit the forest, the sunlight hitting their eyes. What felt like an eternity was probably nothing more than thirty minutes of travel. Yet, everyone found themselves thankful to finally be out of the forest.

A wide plain of the greenest grass stretched out in front of them. And a little further into the distance, they could see a quaint little village. The girls' faces lit up at the sight of it.

"Almost home!" Roisin cheerfully cried out, finally letting go of Rider's arm. Aigneis began to run towards the village, obviously hoping to leave the Master and Servant behind. Roisin was quick to follow her, both girls running across the field without a care in the world.

Cadhla on the other hand, refused to let go of Rider's hand.

"Hmm? You ain't gonna join them?" The boy asked.

"I—" The little girl hesitated. "We rode the horses because we thought it would help the village. And… Now we're going back without helping the village. Mommy's gonna be mad…" she muttered.

"Ah, yeah, that'd make sense. She'll probably be livid." The boy said in a sincere tone as he folded his arms. "Well, you might as well face the punishment now rather than later, right?"

"Do not listen to him." Rider stated, causing the two to look at Rider. "I am sure she will be happy to see you safe." The boy gave a look of confusion as the girl gave a look of relief. "Come, let's not keep her waiting any longer."

With that, Rider walked towards the village. Cadhla happily walked alongside them. The Master stayed behind once again, once again trying to figure out what he said wrong. With no answer coming to him, he decided to not think about it for now and just follow the two.

It didn't take long until the three made it to the village entrance. Roisin and Aigneis were already heading home, not even sparing a look back as they went. Rider didn't mind that though. What they did mind however was a sudden pressure filling Rider's body.

It wasn't anything threatening. In fact, it was something helpful. That pressure told Rider that there was something involving magecraft happening. The worst part of it was, it wasn't coming from a singular house, nor was it something as simple as them crossing into a Bounded Field.

No, this entire village was being affected by it.

"Master." Rider stated.

"You can sense it too, huh?" Their Master muttered as he rubbed his head, as if he was trying to soothe an ache. Rider simply nodded in response.

"Sense what?" Cadhla asked as she turned to look at the boy. The boy took a deep breath, steeling himself before answering.

"There's some dark magecraft going on in this village."

Back