ArlequineLunaire

The future's now, old man! (Avatar drawn by me)
Pronouns
She/Her
For any story idea revolving around a killer tournament where to lose is to die.
I've heard these called a number of names, like 'Elimination Game', 'Survival Game', 'Battle Royale' a bit confusingly, 'Killing Game' (though that last one's more linked with Danganronpa specifically), but 'Death Game' is the term I'm going with here for clarity's sake.

Death Games have been around since, well, the Roman Colosseum at least, but in modern times the two most genre-establishing examples are probably Highlander and Battle Royale, so much that any other Death Game series has probably been called a rip-off of either of these at some point. I won't be going that far obviously, but but I do think Death Games can broadly be separated into the mystical Highlander-style, where you find Fate/stay night, Kamen Rider Ryuki, and X/1999, and the dystopian Battle Royale-style, where you find Hunger Games, Danganronpa, and most famously these days Squid Game.
Also, Goosebumps of all series had a Death Game book (The Beast from the East).

While Magical Girls are defined mainly by aesthetic and theme, and Isekai by a plot starter and to a lesser extent certain tropes as of late (both two genres we've had general Ideas Threads for), Death Games are defined by their plot structure first off, meaning they're a little more limited by nature. However, an overall plot of 'players gradually kill each other off till one (theoretically) remains' is still broad enough that it gives you quite a bit of leeway to mix things up.

My completed Quest, Persona: The Beautiful, and longest incomplete Quest, Danganronpa Showa, were both Death Games. Think part of the reason why is because the structure of the Death Game helps create a clear plot progression and inherent tension, both helping to get around plot block and keep up reader interest (er, and hopefully not for any other reason in my case~).
Now with Showa it came with the series, but with P:TB I wanted to try out a Death Game in a series that hadn't really had them (tournaments yes, death games no, though the wider SMT has with Digital Devil Saga). My original idea was for 21 characters (for each Arcana except World) to all fight each other, but I scaled it down to a more standard six.

As for any future Death Game ideas I have, Ar Tonelico: Elegy of Sacrifice is my main one, though I've stalled on it since the extensive lore and physics of the Ar Tonelico series can make writing in that setting... daunting, at least for me (have written up a rough prologue though). Given the Knight and Lady dynamic you tend to see with Vanguards and Reyvateils in those games and their post-apocalyptic setting, a 'tournament gone wrong' might be fitting.
I also have ideas for a X/1999 fic, though with a new set of Dragons of Heaven and Earth. While they'll still be in Tokyo, I do like the idea of widening the lore by having other major cities have their own Dragons, even if Tokyo takes priority because of its population.

While I could elaborate, I think just over 500 words is good enough for a starter post

Last edited:
K: Standard "Whodunnit find the killer" game, except the 'host' was just straight up shot in the face by one of the contestants in the first five minutes, because none of them agreed to be here.

Would "hunting" scenarios count? Like the novel Hunters of the Red Moon, where people supplied with weapons and are stalked by the mysterious hunters, with the losers dying and the survivors gaining great wealth. This is further complicated by an important unknown fact, namely that the Hunters are a species of shapeshifters.

Z: Something that blurs the lines somewhat: A bunch of Matrioshka Brain hyper-minds competing over who gets the last Hydrogen in the entire universe. One of them wants to use it to power a time machine and escape to an earlier universe. Another just wants to tough it out as long as possible. A third wants to try and make a black hole to transition to Hawking Radiation power. Etcetera etcetera. Somehow they come to an agreement to handle it as an elimination tournament.

Fucking vtuber battle royale. Every night, the actors are transformed into their avatars with all the abilities, strengths and weaknesses that their oft-ignored 'lore' implies. Anyone who dies in the nightmare world will 'graduate' from their careers in real life and disappear as if their feds got them. Meanwhile, the winner will gain all their subscribers, superchats and bonuses and reality will be overwritten to accommodate that. Games can range from pure killing to more mundane vtuber stuff such as dreaming to an audience of ghosts or whatever. Something could also be done with corporation association or lack of. (e.g. Hololive vs Nijisanji vs indies).

Is this balanced? Depending which vtubers are involved--so most likely no. But I want to see ripoff Amelia Watson try to eviscerate ripoff Enna Alloutte with a pickaxe or something.

Last edited:
If anyone's wondering why I linked to some series but not others, that's because I feel people here would already be familiar enough with the likes of Highlander, Hunger Games, Squid Game, and especially Fate in SV's case, or at least have certainly heard of them, to not need an intros to them

Is this balanced? Depending which vtubers are involved--so most likely no.

Admittedly, in a lot of Death Game fiction, just how rigged and unfair these games are is the whole point (e.g. Squid Game, Fate/stay night, Kamen Rider Ryuki, Hunger Games, etc.)

i have an idea which is still in the 'vague concept' phase and is probably closer to a hunter-type scenario.

this one - funnily enough since this was mentioned in the OP - involves magical girls. however, it also takes inspiration from the early yu-gi-oh chapters. basically, a magical girl is going around and killing people using literal death games, and the MC would get involved when one of her friends is targeted and either dies or barely manages to survive. so the general plot would be figuring out what her deal is and stopping her. i might flesh this out later at some point.

Both Magical Girls and Isekai were mentioned since there's been other threads like this one about them. You probably knew that but just in case.
I also probably would've used the term 'Battle Royale' rather than Death Game, but that obviously risks confusion with the specific series rather than its format in general. Plus Death Game is a little broader, since 'Battle Royale' doesn't really cover stuff like Most Dangerous Games (unless there's multiple hunters and hunted)

Does it only count as a "Death Game" if the contestants are a cause of someone else's death? Whether that's directly killing them or just say beating them in a competition (physical challenge, quiz, maybe even just getting more/less votes then the other person).

I'm wondering if Saw-types would count, if you can escape the trap, you're free to go, but escape is a big if.

Both Magical Girls and Isekai were mentioned since there's been other threads like this one about them. You probably knew that but just in case.

yeah, it was just a funny coincidence

I'm wondering if Saw-types would count, if you can escape the trap, you're free to go, but escape is a big if.

i think it would depend on the circumstances. for example, one of the key parts of a Battle Royale scenario is the competition to the death between people, so a scenario where multiple people are trapped but only once can escape might fall in there. but I don't think the actual Saw movies are like that (at least, I assume so, having never watched any).

i think it would depend on the circumstances. for example, one of the key parts of a Battle Royale scenario is the competition to the death between people, so a scenario where multiple people are trapped but only once can escape might fall in there. but I don't think the actual Saw movies are like that (at least, I assume so, having never watched any).
I know one of them at least seemed like that until the very end.

Though, admittedly, Death Game is a bit misleading as it seems like it would include stuff like "As The Gods Will" or "Escape Room" where technically every person could survive, though really improbable.

I guess one similarity Magical Girls and Death Games is a lot of discussion on what counts as one (granted, they're pretty broad names). Maybe 'Battle Royale game' might be the better title, with adding 'game' clarifying we're not talking about just that series?

Also, I said earlier I'd elaborate on my Ar Tonelico: Elegy of Sacrifice idea, so I'll say it's about seven pairs of people getting pulled into a Death Game where the winner will apparently 'create the Promised Land'. Each pair has one 'Vanguard' (your basic fighter, though they're mainly there to stall rather than defeat enemies) and one Reyvateil, who are essentially a whole race of Bards. Specifically they're either robots or descendants of robots who can sing Song Magic by tapping into one of the world's super-computer Towers (said world also being a bunch of post-apocalypse sky islands). They're also meant to be all-female, but that's soemthing EoS will go into. Kinda like Fate/, the game ends when all Reyvateils one but are killed, but often it's easier to kill the Vanguard first

Elegy of Sacrifice is a distant prequel to Ar tonelico 2, both taking place in the crumbling land of Metafalss, the Promised Land obviously being Metafalica from that game. It might actually better for people if they haven't played AT2, since that may pre-emptively spoil a few things about EoS (and vice-versa)

Last edited:
If one wants a "death game" without a villain, one way it to make it some sort of "lottery/trials for power" scenario. Such as a ritual of ascension that kills all but one participant at random, or spares the one who survives the longest. Say, "the person with the strongest will shall gain great power, while all the other participants perish"; that would make for a good death tournament that's a prerequisite to enter something like an order of mages without there having to be some Big Bad that forces people through it.

A variant I've seen a time or two is one where somebody (or a team) tries to explore some alien labyrinth or super-dangerous artifact in return for some reward, where it's so dangerous that few survive. Not sure if that counts as the death typically comes from the challenge not the opponent, but it seems at least adjacent to a "death tournament".

To quickly respond to a few ideas here, figured I should since I'm the OP and all:

Matryoshka Hyper-Brain - It's definitely an unique idea which weirdly reminds me of Arthur C. Clarke. There's not a lot of large-scale Death Games I can think of, mainly because the genre tends to be more intimate, though Bokurano (Mecha Tournament Arc between Universes where the winning pilot dies, and the losing pilot has their Universe destroyed) and I think Interstellar Pig (which I have @FourmyleOfCeres to thank for introducing me to) are two examples I know. At that scale though, there is the potential risk of the story feeling impersonal

vTubers - I wouldn't be surprised if someone's done or is going to do something like this, like there's probably at least one 'vTuberronpa' fic out there

Magical Girl with Death Games, emphasis Games - Intriguing premise, though I'm curious what the reason is for making it a Magical Girl specifically?

Lottery/Trails for Power - In a full circle way, sounds similar to Highlander (which did have a villain, but he was more the nastiest competitor than the person behind it all)

Also:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefbqQ9E5-E

Last edited:
Back