Most likey because of farming and advancement in technology for farming, shelter, and more. Where nature was tamed and supported us instead of when it was a danger to look out for. Mostly we still look out for the more dangerous weather and animals but they are mostly a moot point. There is a reason "Mother Nature is a bitch" is still a common phrase but is still looked upon nicely. Due to how much we have advanced and turned nature to our purposes instead of going with nature because we had to.

Most likey because of farming and advancement in technology for farming, shelter, and more. Where nature was tamed and supported us instead of when it was a danger to look out for. Mostly we still look out for the more dangerous weather and animals but they are mostly a moot point. There is a reason "Mother Nature is a bitch" is still a common phrase but is still looked upon nicely. Due to how much we have advanced and turned nature to our purposes instead of going with nature because we had to.
And then you hear another story about a group of college students who went backpacking out in some remote area of a national park or preserve only to never be seen again, and get the sudden stark reminder that mother nature will still swallow you whole the minute you step off that beaten path if you don't show her the same care, respect and wariness our ancestors did.

And then you hear another story about a group of college students who went backpacking out in some remote area of a national park or preserve only to never be seen again, and get the sudden stark reminder that mother nature will still swallow you whole the minute you step off that beaten path if you don't show her the same care, respect and wariness our ancestors did.
Yes, but for the most part that is a rarity, at least in the developed world.

There are a lot of places even in england, which is probably one of the most domesticated lands in the world, were you can easily die if you aren't careful. Nature never really leaves, and anywhere could return to it's naturally high lethality within a generation or two.

I live in California. Most of the hiking trails here strongly recommend you don't go hiking alone because there are mountain lions out there and they just might decide you are food. It doesn't happen often, but it happens often enough that it's a legitimate concern and people get told to keep an eye out.

It says nothing of the sort. Its the answer to a single question, so, jokes aside, a god of Atheism is like a god of not collecting stamps. There isnt anything there to form a portfolio. More likely, it would be part of a wider one. Skepticism perhaps?

In Planescape, specifically in Sigil, there is a temple devoted to dead gods, with members actually taking people to the place where the bodies of dead gods lie until they either revive or fade away. Many have speculated that this temple is unknowingly fulfilling the role of priesthood for the god of Atheism, which feeds on disrupting people's beliefs in anything else.

Bringing this back on topic, the reason why I said that skepticism would most likely be the portfolio that Atheism falls under is because most atheists would fall under that umbrella. Despite what religious apologists think, the vast majority of Atheists are not angry, unreasonable people who refuse to believe based on emotion, but rather people who look at silly claims, come to the conclusion that they are silly and demand better evidence. Much the same as most scientifically minded people. Present good, convincing evidence and they will change their beliefs. I certainly would.

My thesis in philosophy was on the inherent flaws in proving the existence or non-existence of sentient beings who don't cooperate with your experiments. Whether or not something is there can't be proven unless something that IS there decides it wants to reveal itself. Science's focus on experiments that can be repeated by other scientists means it would take a very patient set of higher beings to prove their existence, so we can't have positive proof, and it is equally impossible to prove a negative.

People thus tend to believe based on their personal experience, either for or against. I haven't had a deity speak to me in person, but am not offended by the idea there might be one out there. I havee, however, seen enough things that should have been impossible by current paradigms to be more open to what others claim to have experienced on their own.

All of that said, though, part of the issue is that "atheism" covers a lot of belief structures. For most, they just don't see a reason to believe. For some, though, the very idea of people believing in a god, any god, offends them on a deep level and drives them to attempt to tear down any theistic beliefs. For those people, Atheism really is their religion.

I can now see Xx_VoidCowboy_xX as the new God of Skeptics, Agnostics and Atheists...

"Sweet gig, you know. Unlike the other gods, I gain more power when I'm not believed in."

"PHO alone increases my powers to mid level deity."

The god of not being able to keep his mouth shut to save his own life, insulting people, and being so much of a creep he gets banned from setting foot in any nation on the planet....

I've got a jar of di~rt! :p

Yeah, some of the really old nature deities are like that. But most of them are the gentle loving sort. Especially in their more modern versions.

The change is simple, and inherent in the term 'civilization', which literally means "city life". Putting nature at a remove makes it easier to see the positive and not notice the negative. It doesn't help that the people who were telling the tales and writing the histories laregly studied in the major cities.

There is a reason "Mother Nature is a bitch" is still a common phrase but is still looked upon nicely.

I like the slogan a while back urging you to remember that Nature is a Mother.

All of that said, though, part of the issue is that "atheism" covers a lot of belief structures. For most, they just don't see a reason to believe. For some, though, the very idea of people believing in a god, any god, offends them on a deep level and drives them to attempt to tear down any theistic beliefs. For those people, Atheism really is their religion.
No, it really doesnt. No matter what definition you use for religion, Atheism cannot meet it without also including things like sports teams and DnD groups. There are Atheistic religions in that they dont have a deity or something similar, like some sects of Buddhism, but Atheism itself doesnt even apply as a world view. Theres also the fact that most of those people dont actually give a shit about the god belief and their desire to get rid of religion comes from the fact that the organized religions that they tend to be originally from are abusive and tout horrific belief systems.

I havee, however, seen enough things that should have been impossible by current paradigms to be more open to what others claim to have experienced on their own.
I tend to find that if I've seen something that I thought was impossible, five minutes online will let me find how it's explained in the current understanding of the world.

No, it really doesnt. No matter what definition you use for religion, Atheism cannot meet it without also including things like sports teams and DnD groups. There are Atheistic religions in that they dont have a deity or something similar, like some sects of Buddhism, but Atheism itself doesnt even apply as a world view. Theres also the fact that most of those people dont actually give a shit about the god belief and their desire to get rid of religion comes from the fact that the organized religions that they tend to be originally from are abusive and tout horrific belief systems.

This is my last comment on this particular issue. There's a reason threadlocks and mod posts have come up. It is only a small quibble, but one I need to clarify: I speak not of an absence of belief, but a belief, a certainty, of absence. That blind faith is what becomes a religion all its own.

I tend to find that if I've seen something that I thought was impossible, five minutes online will let me find how it's explained in the current understanding of the world.

I'm mildly autistic. One aspect of this is that I have sensory integration disorder, which just means that my subconscious doesn't do all of the work it's supposed to be doing before presenting my conscious mind with the results. I've had to learn to do this consciously instead, which means I am much more intimately aware of the data my senses are providing, and am very good at telling when they are lying or disagreeing. So, for instance, my sense of balance could say I'm leaning to the right, but I compare that to the feel of the ground under my feet, the angle of my vision, whether anything around me is moving(as the floor tilting would cause), and decide that it's my sense of balance being wonky. This matters in this context because I do double check everything I'm sensing* before questioning what is actually going on.

Despite that, I have repeatedly wound up somewhere hundreds of miles away from where I started in less than a half hour without crossing any of the major highways between where I started and wound up.** I've had a series of items just drop into my room. I didn't see it, but I heard it, and the items had no business being in my house, much less in my basement bedroom. The one I actually had empirical data on involved a very simple demonstration of acceleration via gravity that gave different results every time performed.... but only if I was standing near the device in question. Running the other five devices at the same time showed it was always the one I was near that misbehaved, at one point showing the dropped weight actually slowing down halfway through the drop.

A good scientist checks themselves first, then checks whatever means they used to observe the apparent impossibility, checks with other perspectives to see if the problem was an artifact of alignment, and yes, even looking deeper into the theory, as your own understanding of the theory can be to blame. It's the events where I go through that checklist and still find that the only thing that says what I witnessed didn't happen is accepted theory, and all other evidence says it did.

*Picking up through my senses, not ESP
**I'm not bad at directions, I'm gifted at getting lost

The change is simple, and inherent in the term 'civilization', which literally means "city life". Putting nature at a remove makes it easier to see the positive and not notice the negative. It doesn't help that the people who were telling the tales and writing the histories laregly studied in the major cities.
Why do people keep telling me this like it's something I didn't already know? That I'm not willing to dive into the hows and whys because I know it would quickly become a derail in no way means that I am not aware of the role the birth of large scale civilization had in the transition.

Why do people keep telling me this like it's something I didn't already know? That I'm not willing to dive into the hows and whys because I know it would quickly become a derail in no way means that I am not aware of the role the birth of large scale civilization had in the transition.

Because text often doesn't convey sarcasm very well, and people blindly assume not mentioning something equals not knowing it.

Here we see the winding yet circular nature of discussion pruned and tamed by moderation. Regrettably, our once great civilization no longer has the means to uphold it's own law.

Fluffy tails, in this economy?

Here we see the winding yet circular nature of discussion pruned and tamed by moderation. Regrettably, our once great civilization no longer has the means to uphold it's own law.

Fluffy tails, in this economy?
You are correct as the Lost Topic must be pruned for the Pan-Thread to survive, the Grand Mod has yet to end. Indeed the tragedy of Pan-reader, we could only witness the thread be derailed.

Sorry can't help it, anyway need to reread this since I forgot I was stocking up some chaps to read and forgot about this.

You are correct as the Lost Topic must be pruned for the Pan-Thread to survive, the Grand Mod has yet to end. Indeed the tragedy of Pan-reader, we could only witness the thread be derailed.

Sorry can't help it, anyway need to reread this since I forgot I was stocking up some chaps to read and forgot about this.

I don't think there's been anything since January '22? Unless there is stuff that's not been threadmarked.

I went for a different approach than others, but sometimes, the person I choose to quote is quoted just to provide a reference to the conversational thread, rather than a specific person's post. In this case, my comment was intended as, "It's not about taming nature, it's about the people writing this stuff down never even seeing a natural setting". If that didn't come across, my apologies, as I was only attempting to counter, "Nature deities became more benevolent as Nature got tamed."

I don't think there's been anything since January '22? Unless there is stuff that's not been threadmarked.

It doesn't feel that long, but that may just be because new readers have repeatedly drawn us back to it. Grounders, sadly, has a limit on the amount of writing for fun that they're allowed to do, so we just hope that the stories we like the most will be the ones to grab the author's attention and time.

Not exactly, my last read chapter was Chapter ten and anything after that I haven't read. To tell you the truth, I actually forgot about this story.

Now that I think about it, I somewhat remember a Katsune!Taylor story where she's an ABB member and close to Lung and Bakuda.

Wish there would be something to circle back to... :cry:
... While I haven't gotten to work on this floof quite yet (I do intend to). That said... I am working on floof atm.

It doesn't feel that long, but that may just be because new readers have repeatedly drawn us back to it. Grounders, sadly, has a limit on the amount of writing for fun that they're allowed to do, so we just hope that the stories we like the most will be the ones to grab the author's attention and time.
Part of it is a focus issue. ^^; my brain is wheeeeeeeeeeeee at times.

Back