The Summoned Hero Is a Historical Materialist??

MYNE: And then when I came to put the count in his place, that little dickless fucker tried to bring up the order in his defense. Like it mattered. Like it wasn't just a social club. Like it would stay my hand from killing him for daring to suggest killing you.
"It should be said that I meant this hypothetically your honor. I meant to say that I probably would kill the victim if he suggested killing my sister. I didn't mean that as an admission of guilt."

My vibe is Myne is telling the truth about not knowing all the details, and genuinely doesn't want to kill Melty at least.
I agree.
I think the story is more compelling if she does love her sister.
I definitely think Myne likes Melty, but I don't know about love. She hasn't had any reason to conflict with her. Melty was even willing to surrender the crown to her. But if Melty tries to help the common people with Naofumi she will need to wield the power of the crown to do that. As she bonds with Naofumi and changes, will she still be willing to give up that power knowing that Myne will not use it nearly as well to help the people? We've already seen the beginnings of such conflicts when Myne told Melty helping the people in this town is not her responsibility. Melty used her crown to choose the procedure for choosing the next Count. And once conflicts between them arise, will the bond hold true of love? Or was it merely affection because it was convenient. Melty being helpful and nice and unassuming. But breaks as soon as Melty becomes inconvenient?

Calling it right now. The democratic experiment is going to fail because the people that just did a pogrom will vote for someone to continue that pogrom. This situation is not the opportunity to implement a democracy. A transitional authority is needed to stabilize things or the people will vote to effectively revert the system to autocracy.

Wasn't expecting the first try of democracy to end up happening immediately after a crisis got resolved in the town. This might go poorly with the racial divide between townsfolk right now.

Good job with OC Myne.

Canon caricature of a person with chronic backstabbing disorder is frustrating to read and, I suspect, to write as well.

And when it all goes to shit, I will enjoy rubbing your face in the rubble.

Oh it definitely will.
If it's just one Count.
They'd need some kind of representative organ to have even hope of it working.

Man. Myne is keeping me on the edge of the seat here.

With this chapter, the pertinent question is: is Myne a bigoted and easily manipulated puppet the Order is trying to install on the throne to advance their agenda, or is she a master manipulator and a high-functioning sociopath who managed to seamlessly lie through her fucking teeth the moment Melty's connected the secret society she belongs to the possible culprits of her attempted assassination?

Did she engineer the entire situation to ensure that Melty, who Myne knows really, really well, would have no choice but to remain in the middle of nowhere trying to salvage this clusterfuck, while she's off to the capital consolidating her power base and finding convenient scapegoats to burn?

I can't discount the possibility, and I'm all here for it. Either way, Myne is already infinitely more complex than her canon counterpart, though again, that's not saying much.

Man, this one was good at making me upset at Constance! And I know she had a point, and continues to have a point, about killing Fulana and lying to Melty about it. But wow it is not fun to watch Melty be this decent and be treated this badly.

It's democracy time!!! I forget exactly how much of the village is demihuman, but assuming a substantial enough portion is, as well as demihuman-friendly humans and humans who are generally grateful to the demihuman soldiers, it could be a cinch to get someone favorable to Naofumi and Constance into power.

Poor Melty... Since meeting Naofumi, she has been nearly assassinated in her own seat of power, been told that she's a parasite by 50% of her rescuers, had her bodyguard killed out from under her, and had her own sister tell her that she's just like their mother.

As a monarch with substantial institutional power, yes it makes sense to isolate and make her reliant on them, but damn if it doesn't marinate up into a depressing image of indoctrination. And I mean that word in a neutral way-- she needed to be deprogrammed, but yeesh the way it played out.

Fortunately I think even Naofumi knows enough theory to understand that democracy is a tool in the toolbox of rulership and not a method of rulership itself and will thus not in fact be entirely put out no matter what happens (to melty's inevitable annoyance)

Back