The Streaming Service Cartoon Purge

The real question is who buys the actual studio lol. Dang thing's valuable - even Disney is known to rent out their biggest soundstage from time to time.

My money's on that, as much as IP, being what apple goes for. They're one of the biggest players not to have their own lot and soundstages in the LA area.

Last edited:
The real question is who buys the actual studio lol. Dang thing's valuable - even Disney is known to rent out their biggest soundstage from time to time.

My money's on that, as much as IP, being what apple goes for. They're one of the biggest players not to have their own lot and soundstages in the LA area.
The studio is valuable to production companies, but I doubt that the ownership of physical facilities will have much effect on people not directly involved with those companies. Even if Apple is driven by a desire to own its own studio space, most people will care more about what happens to Scooby-Doo.

The studio is valuable to production companies, but I doubt that the ownership of physical facilities will have much effect on people not directly involved with those companies. Even if Apple is driven by a desire to own its own studio space, most people will care more about what happens to Scooby-Doo.
Excuse you, it'll have a huge impact because it's where the Animaniacs live

Copyright used to be fourteen years and then twenty eight with a option to renewal for another twenty eight years.

That's true but not what I'm talking about.

The technology for people to maintain a large local cache of media exists in a narrow band.

Basically it required cheap optical media.

Ironically, the studios haven't been too happy with the threadbare profit margins (or outright losses) of streaming compared to the DVD golden age.

That's true but not what I'm talking about.

The technology for people to maintain a large local cache of media exists in a narrow band.

Basically it required cheap optical media.

Ironically, the studios haven't been too happy with the threadbare profit margins (or outright losses) of streaming compared to the DVD golden age.
Streaming has ruined media? Hasn't it.

All because we didn't want any ads.

So many people made their own streaming services and now no one can subscribe to them.

Streaming has ruined media? Hasn't it.

I think it's more subtle than that.

Y'know how Tesla is valuated at more than like, the next three auto-companies combined, despite building 2/5ths as many cars each year as Ford? A . . . fairly small (as huge companies go) car company whose main relevance comes from selling the red blooded American institution that is the F-150?

A good chunk of that is because Tesla is perceived not as a 'car company' but as a 'tech company'. And because technology is the only thing that can actually generate long term growth faster than the population grows and new resources are accessed, a tech company, unlike any other kind of company, can 'do anything' and therefore it's futures can shoot to the moon with the promise of 'disrupting the industry'.

Which is also why Elon Musk is constantly getting on twitter and telling us how Tesla will build fully autonomous AI robot maids that will replace all human labor . . . Because if he doesn't promise that, sooner or later, people are going to notice that Tesla is just a car company that makes a, eh fairly neat, Electric car that has some questionable marketing around its driver assist.

Netflix and other streaming services were perceived as 'tech companies'. But really all they are, are cable providers that use slightly more flexible digital decoders than the old cable boxes and offer a better on demand service.

But the problem is, due to their explosive growth, as they displaced the previous services and models, they were perceived as tech, and their investors expect tech growth numbers.

The only way to offer those numbers up to the VC gods is to perform fuck fuck games with the company valuation. Layoffs please the VC gods, because layoffs mean the company is 'running lean' and this signals that it is valuable, and desirable, and can be sold off for more than it was bought. As do increased revenue, even if the reason for that increased revenue was one time tax credit infusions or selling IP.

Last edited:
Back