The Rotten Wings of a Scarlet Crane (Naruto/Elden Ring)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

(Spoliers for a late game Elden Ring boss and it's assorted lore.)

Malenia, the Blade of Miquella had suffered her first and final defeat to the Tarnished of legend, while this was the end of the Empyrean it was not the end for her soul and the foul rot so tied to it.
Now a daughter of a rice farmer she must find her own path in this shinobi world without falling into the trappings of her past life's mistakes.
Last edited:
Chapter 1 (The Crane's New Family)
I have memories that aren't my own, memories of demi-gods, an endless war, and a story told on the falling leaves.

I have memories of many victories.

I remember fighting over a shattered ring, I remember fighting below a golden tree that gave life to all, I remember fighting atop a cliff of storms, I remember winning.

I have memories of few defeats.

I remember fighting a giant with the power to hold up the sky, I remember a golden needle holding back Armageddon, I remember rot, and I remember a warrior of tarnished light, I remember defeat.

I am an only child yet I remember a brother I must protect, it hurts to think of him, how I failed him.

Despite this I am not the scarlet woman in my dreams, I have never fought a giant holding up the sky, I was never the child of a god; I'm the daughter of a rice farmer, and I've never fought anyone.

We are both corrupted though.

Horrible scars dot both of our bodies, both of our eyes simply rotted away when we were young, I have a single arm the same as her though I lack the golden replacement for the other.

I do at least have my legs unlike her, they help me stay grounded and remind me of who I am.

Mizutori, daughter of the Ishida family, not Melania, daughter of Queen Marika and Elden Lord Radagon.

The Kami despise a coward.

This wasn't something a monk or priest would tell you, but all the same Kojirou Ishida knew it to be a truth of the world. To him it felt like all his problems could be sourced back to one event, the time he ran, the time he fled, the time he let his commander, sensei, and nation down.

Eight years ago in a world war that his home country had little to do with, his team mere mercenaries sent for money making purposes alone. His team was composed of fourteen samurai including Kojirou, and his teacher. All of them were great fighters, strong enough to take on the vast majority of Shinobi on both sides of the war, or so they thought at least.

In a routine job given to them by the Shinobi of Kusagakure they had met their match. It was a memory he hated thinking about, yet everyday he would set aside time away from his crops and family to just sit at his personal shrine and think of it, time to ruminate upon his sins.

His teacher was permanently scared because of his cowardice, logically Kojirou knew that Mifune had forgiven the rest of the team, and they had all made it back to Iron to continue being Samurai worthy of legend, yet Kojirou knew in his heart that even if his sensei was given the chance to personally forgive him for running he wouldn't accept it.

So when the rest of the team had decided to turn back and at least collect the body of their former leader and commander, who they thought dead at the time, Kojirou had kept running.

He was afraid, of what he wasn't sure, all he knew was that no matter what, he needed to keep running.

Was he scared of dying? Perhaps, yet something in him rebelled at the thought that the great washing pole samurai had been frightened of something as simple as death.

He should have stayed when the others fled, he should have been stronger than them, he was stronger than them; and yet, perhaps he was the weakest of them all, at least they had returned to face his sensei's disappointment.

Now, eight years later he was no longer Kojirou Ishida the famed washing pole samurai, now he was a simple rice farmer near the outskirts of Kusagakure. Shortly after running he had met and fell in love with a young waitress at a bar he was wasting his life away in; they unfortunately had a child before they got married, another shame in his long list of sins.

He loved his family no matter how much the gods would punish them for his sins. His dearest daughter, Mizutori was afflicted with some sort of disease that rotted away at her, she had lost her eyes and an arm while young because of it. He had taken her to every doctor he could find and afford, and unfortunately they had all said the same thing.

"We don't know."

It was a total unknown, it affected her physically and was very obvious in its symptoms, yet not a single one had been able to find an example of it elsewhere. That his daughter was physically crippled was one thing, they could have adapted somehow, gotten a prosthetic arm for her and taught her how to live as a blind woman, but the disease didn't stop at her outer form.

It affected her chakra; while that alone was never unheard of, diseases that hindered and rotted away at the chakra network were an unfortunate reality of the world. This rot that afflicted his daughter however, wasn't like those diseases, it didn't hinder her network, it infected it, it was like a poison or a disease that ate away at and converted other's chakra if it was to come into contact with it.
This led to even the doctors he could afford outright refusing to attempt an operation on her lest they get infected in turn.

It pained him to know that the gods had seen fit to punish his family for his cowardice in such a way that not only was his dearest daughter a blind cripple, she couldn't and would never be healed or given a prosthetic easily, at least not one that he as a simple farmer could afford.

"Dear." Kojirou was brought out of his ruminations by the voice of his wife, he turned his head towards her but decided not to open his eyes.

"Sorry to interrupt you, but there is a shinobi here to see you." He could hear the apology in her voice, Ashina hated to intrude upon the shrine, she, like most people of the Mushroom Nation, were more often than not followers of Buddha rather than of the Kami.

At the mention of a Shinobi asking for him, a dark emotion took ahold of his heart before he swiftly brushed it away lest it linger for too long.

Kojirou sighed and opened his eyes to the sight of his beautiful wife, somewhat unusually for people of this nation, who usually had hair closer to the color of black tar, she had bright red hair that resembled more of a tomato than anything else, in fact it was that hair combined with her dark red eyes that brought him to her in the first place.

"It's no trouble at all, I was nearly done anyway, set out some tea, I'll be in soon." as he got up from his knees, she left to go handle the guest, though not before a quick hug.

Ashina Ishida, formerly Ashina Uzumaki, was not a Shinobi.

She wasn't completely out of the loop with the goings-on of them as many civilians were, she did come from a family that was very ninja forward after all, it just wasn't something she had ever been interested in. Needless to say her rather typical shinobi father had been rather disappointed in her, but well, Ashina had likely already burnt any and all of those bridges well before she had a child out of wedlock with a washed out samurai; now however, the ashes of those bridges had likely been scattered to the four winds.

But she didn't hate this life, it had its ups and its downs, her daughter was a lovely if quiet girl with some… unfortunate deformities, and her husband was a kind man who, despite not following the religion she had adopted upon settling down in Mushroom, never abused her, and to be honest, by her estimate for a civilian woman from a ninja family inside of a ninja village that her family had nearly nothing to do with, it was a calm and safe life that could always have been worse.

So once she had fully made her way back to their small house from her husband's little shrine, she quickly nodded to the Grass shinobi waiting patiently by the door.

"Kojirou should be in shortly, you're welcome to come in and enjoy some tea while we wait."

The shinobi, a rugged looking man in his early thirties with a black ponytail and slight beard, glanced up at the sun before humming to himself.

"I should have enough time for a drink, thank you for the offer Ishida-san."

Once they both got inside and had taken off their sandals she told the man to leave his twin swords at the door, rather unusually for a Shinobi, the man gave them up easily. As they came into the dining room they came upon her daughter sitting quietly at the table.

Mizutori was a wonderful daughter, certainly she wasn't as excitable as any of Ashina's siblings had been as kids, and her sickness had likely robbed her of many potential paths forward in her life; but she was smart, polite, and though it saddened Ashina somewhat, accepting of her lot in life.

"Welcome back, Mother, I hear we have a visitor." Mizutori's voice was as it always was, somewhat distant and lonely sounding as if she was constantly bearing some great tragedy, it was understandable really.

"We do, this is a shinobi from the village, make sure you welcome him kindly." As Ashina turned to start up some tea she heard her daughter and the shinobi say their hello's.

Once she had gotten the water to start heating up she turned around to rejoin them at the table.

"Apologies, I had not realized your condition was so far advanced." Mizutori simply tilted her head at the man and gave a small sad smile.

"Why must you apologize, it is what it is, unless you have a cure hidden away somewhere, there is no need for it." The shinobi blushed and rubbed the back of his head.

"Well still, if I had realized that Koujiro's daughter was sick I would have tried to help somehow."

Ashina gave the man a curious look, she hadn't realized her husband had any shinobi friends from Kusa.

"You know my father closely?" Mizutori asked the man, clearly having the same thoughts as she did.

"We were old friends from the last war, though clearly not as close as I had thought."

"Don't let him fool you," the light voice of her husband filtered through from the doorway leading into the dining room, "We drank together a few times and he beat some sense into me after the war, but we were never really friends."

At the sound of her husband's voice the man had stood up to turn towards him, "Kojirou, it's good to see you again, and looking better than the last time as well."

Her husband glanced at the man with something close to a grimace before going to give their daughter a hug, "Musashi, I can't say I'm quite as pleased to see you as you are me, knowing what it likely means." The Shinobi now known as Musashi now took his turn to grimace.

After a long beat of silence, where Kojirou moved to take his own seat, Musashi let out a breath of air while sitting down, "Unfortunately, the Daimyo has decided to call in that favor," The ninja was interrupted by the kettle going off as she hurried off to get their tea she could hear them behind her.

"Iwa is posturing again, and unfortunately for us, it's pointed at us this time rather than at Konoha." Ashina felt herself freeze up at the likely implication such a thing would have.

She could almost sense her husband shift in his seat slightly, "That's bad, Konoha doesn't have the strength to win another war like the last one." With a slight jump at the sound of Kojirou's voice she got back to pouring the drinks.

When she turned back around to the table, drinks now in hand, she couldn't help but notice an odd tension in her daughters frame; that Kojirou was tense made since, he had rather bad memories from the second shinobi world war after all, but her daughter had only known peace for her seven years of existence, she shouldn't even know what war was really.

Passing it off as something someone, likely kojirou, had taught her when she wasn't looking, she sat down everyone's drinks before taking back her spot at the table.

After giving her a brief thanks Musashi continued, "Fortunately for us, this one is shaping up to be a defensive war unlike last time." Musashi took a small sip of his tea before making a small noise and blowing on it.

"Unfortunately, that won't mean much, considering what the current alliances look like." The ninja grimaced again at Kojirou's words.

"Which is what brings me here unfortunately, the Daimyo has decided that Kusa will need all the fighters it can muster." Her husband stared at the man for a long moment, before sighing, "and that means me as well." Musashi blushed slightly before continuing.

"Due to how rusty you are, we have decided that the best place to use your skills will be reactionary, only to be used in case the Salaman-" Ashina jumped slightly as her husband pounds the table hard enough to shake the windows.

"I refuse to be brought into this again, I learned my lesson the last time we were brought on 'in case of The Salamander' attacking Kusa, look where that has led me." Musashi sighed at the former Samurai's anger, "You're the only one we have that's survived an encounter with him."

"I ran, that's all there is to do, and if you want to survive you'll run too, that's how it is against him."

"Kojirou we both know we ca-"

"Leave, now." By this point Kojirou was standing up, his voice getting louder with every word.

"Leave my house and don't come back." They both glared at one another for a long moment before with a sigh Musashi stood up and turned to leave.

"Musashi," Kojirou called out, causing the ninja to stop at the doorway leading to the entrance, "I'll draw my sword again, and I'll start training, but I won't go against him… I can't… not again." Kojirou had calmed down slightly by this point, he still looked out of sorts, and he was breathing heavily, but he was no longer yelling.

After a silent moment, "If that's the best we can get, Kojirou." The sound of a door closing followed shortly after by silence.

The following week was a tense and mostly silent one, neither of my parents paid me much mind, father too focused on the past and his attempts at training to pay me any mind and mother spending more time on our crops with my father too busy for his usual duties.

Meanwhile I spent my time sitting, waiting, and 'watching' for the most part.

It wasn't really watching of course, I had no eyes, but there had always been something that had allowed me to see in some manner of the word. While watching mother in the rice paddies was interesting enough, with mothers gentle but firm blue aura seeming to meld pleasingly with the strong greens and blues that made up their families crops as she worked, but I had already done that my whole life.

What really caught my interest was my father's training. I couldn't help but be drawn in to the new feel and actions that his normally melancholic purple aura had while he was training. Father was usually all straight narrow lines, easy to predict and even easier to understand, but with a sword, he suddenly became all jagged edges and rough movements, unpredictable and easy to anger.

Everyday since that visit I would sit on the steps to our family shrine to father's war god, and simply drink tea and watch the motions that father's aura, that I assumed corresponded to his actual movements somehow, would go through as he worked. It was familiar in that way I had always hated, I wasn't familiar with it, she was; yet all the same, I couldn't help but want to jump up from my seat and grab a stick and attempt my own movements, movements that she had once made.

I kept telling myself not to, that it would be the wrong thing to do, that father would never accept his crippled daughter even beginning to entertain the thought of picking up a sword and laying waste to all around her.

To my shame, I only lasted a week before I caught myself moving to grab my father's practice sword when he wasn't looking and I wasn't thinking. It was only the fact that I attempted to grab it with a golden prosthetic that I lacked that kept me from going any further.

I only lasted another day before I ended up grabbing it with the right hand.

Father had come back from helping mother with something inside to find me swinging his freakishly long wooden practice sword around. I hadn't really gotten to try anything that I knew I should be able to do, but still despite father's worried yelling intermixed with astonished admonishments, I couldn't help but feel that those few scant moments had decided my fate for the rest of my life. Like a hook catching the koi, I was being dragged to this fate no matter what anyone had to say about it.

It's true that I wasn't Melania 'The Severed', the Empyrean that had never once known defeat until the very end; but I was Mizutori Ishida, and I would be damned if I would let someone get in my way.

Welcome to this idea that's been ruminating in my head for the past week, I'll be honest this is mostly to get my brain away from quest idea's that I'll never finish.
You shouldn't need to know Elden Ring very thoroughly as the only character that will be prominent from it is Melania/Mizutori herself, I would suggest having an at least basic grasp of Naruto though, while this won't be full throttle canon manga Naruto verse I'll be leaning into it as much as I can while also occasionally melding some filler or fanon that I feel either fit well enough or that I'll have to use to fill a gap in a country like Grass that we know next to nothing about outside of filler.

Chapter 2 (To Know Victory)
"Absolutely not."

Father was predictably, and admittedly understandably, against the idea of his only daughter, who happened to be a blind cripple, learning to fight with a sword. There were a variety of reasons why such a thing was a terrible idea after all.

"You only have one arm."

I can learn to deal with it until we can afford a prosthetic that will work with my condition.

"You don't even have eyes."

I can still see well enough despite that somehow, a quick test showed that I could even catch a pebble he tossed at me to prove his point, the fact that he was only now learning about this only made him angrier though.

"You're only seven."

He had started learning when he was younger than I was, his counterpoint that he was forced to by his family and nation was only slightly fair.

After a solid hour of arguing where I refused to give any ground, father was beginning to lose his temper. "I said, no, Mizutori and that's where it ends."

"Please give me a chance, father. I promise I'll prove to you I can do it." It was a hot day today, standing in the hot sun was beginning to grow tiresome, if he would just let me try I could assuage his worries.

"Damnit Mizutori, it's not about what you can or can't do." He was pacing back and forth while breathing heavily now, it was a stark contrast to my still form across from him.

"Then what is it about?"

"It's not about anything, it's dangerous and I refuse to let you do this." I could feel my lips turn into a frown.

"If that's all you're worried about then let me pr-" He stopped mid step and turned to me leaning into my face.

"Damnit, what if it gets worse." To my shame, I flinched despite myself. Why was I reacting like this? I… she had dealt with people yelling at her all the time, why was it different because he was the one doing it?

There was a moment of silence as he glared at me, and I, well, stood in front of him, I couldn't exactly glare back without eyes, after a moment to collect myself, I was able to respond.

"Then it gets worse, there's nothing you or I or anyone, can do about that, and either way I would rather die in battle than wilt away in our farmhouse for the rest of my life." I couldn't exactly see it happen on his face, but from what I could gather from the silence he had finally relented somewhat.

After a moment where I heard him sigh and walk the few steps over to the shrine he responded.

"Fine," Despite myself I could feel the ghost of a smile coming on. Victories, no matter how numerous and inevitable, always felt sweet after all. "But I'm only giving you one chance, if you fail, then that is it, leave it be."

"Do you understand?" I gave my affirmation allowing him to disappear into his shrine for a moment before coming back with two swords, one wooden and one real, and something mechanical that I could only guess from the sound of its ticking, was a clock.

"Take it and prepare yourself." He was holding the real blade out towards me, handle first, after I took ahold of it he continued. "I'll give you one minute, if you can even land so much as a single hit on me in that time, I'll concede and teach you, no matter my reservations."

His plan was obvious, a seven year old with training wouldn't have been able to succeed in such a challenge against a warrior of some renown, and I had only so much as held a sword for at most a minute or two before this.

Saying that though, there was a flaw in his plan, I wasn't a normal seven year old, I was Mizutori Ishida, and I would know victory.

As Mizutori readied herself across from him, Kojirou couldn't help but wonder why this had happened. How could his daughter have decided that she wanted this so easily, and with this much conviction? It didn't make any sense, she had never displayed a desire for fighting before.

Once he got to around 10 feet in front of her, he pulled his body into a generic stance that he had used to teach aspiring young samurai how to fight back in the old days. With the sword held forward point towards the enemy and his feet wide, he stopped himself before he got fully into position however. That would be the stance he would have held if he had wanted his opponent to learn, to give them a chance of victory, in this case however, he did not want that.

So he instead moved into his usual stance, his body pulled to the side and his blade held back with the point towards his target, it was a more open stance than was usually recommended, however he had defeated many enemies with it before, and the fact his blade was shorter than he was used to shouldn't factor into the matter against a complete novice.

He would end this before any harm could come to his daughter.

There was a brief pause where he noted that Mizutori had brought herself into a position that was at least nominally a readied stance, her arm and blade held out to the side, completely open and easily punishable.

He felt the wind blow around them, the sun beating down upon them, the moment before a fight always felt the same, an awkward mix of excitement and terror; he hated that he was feeling this way against his daughter.

Sixty seconds.

She moved, one moment she was standing in front of him at least 10 feet away, the next he felt his body moving before his mind could catch up, as he caught her blade with his wooden one. It was a simple, yet perfect strike from the left, one that any seasoned samurai could have performed, he felt his eyes widen, this wasn't right.

As fast as before, faster than any untrained seven year old should be, she back peddled away from him before he could attempt a counter, not that he was in the right mind to do such a thing.

Fifty-nine seconds.

She moved again, this time he was ready for her unexpected speed, pulling his blade to the left to block the same strike as before; only, she didn't attack with the same simple swing.

He found himself leaning backwards to dodge a high kick from the right, and same as her earlier swing, it was perfect, he doubted even Musashi would have been able to find fault in it easily. None of this made sense, how was she doing this? It was too fast and too perfect for any child, let alone one who had never once fought another soul before.

Moving with the momentum of her kick she spun into a swing from the right, this one he finally found fault in. She missed him, though only barely, the blade had passed him by the barest of inches, if he had ducked or if the blade had been longer, he would have been hit. The only thing that had saved him was her height, she was tall for a seven year old certainly, but she was still seven, from someone taller he would have had to have ducked under that kick, thus leading to a hit.

Fifty-eight seconds.

This time he was the one to retreat, his wooden sword pulled back into his ready stance, no longer believing his earlier thoughts about this being easy, he decided that he would need to go on the attack, or else be pushed back from her onslaught.

To think, Kojirou Ishida, the great washing pole samurai, once the most prized student of Mifune himself, was being pushed back by a seven year old. He didn't know whether to feel proud of his daughter or ashamed of himself.

Fifty-seven seconds.

He pushed himself forward, crossing the distance between them in only three steps, he quickly decided to go for a downwards strike. Once he was close enough, he slid his back foot forward and planted it firmly in front of him to stop his momentum as he rose upwards, however, he noticed something that made him pause.

Mizutori was smiling, it struck him that he hadn't seen her smile since she was a toddler; not since before her sickness had really set in. It was a small one and there were no teeth involved, but she was smiling.

Fifty-six seconds.

The momentary pause was enough for her to dodge his attack, rushing to his right and past his blade. It wasn't just a dodge however, she swung her blade at the same time, her momentum adding to the force of the attack.

He dropped his sword and brought his hands up to stop the blade, he wouldn't have been able to bring his weapon back up in time to stop it.

Kojirou felt the edge of the sword dig into his palm, he had wrested the momentum of the blade, stopping her and the attack in its tracks, but then Mizutori pulled her sword towards her.

Fifty-five seconds.

Silence reigned in the clearing in front of our shrine, time seemed to stand still, the birds were no longer chirping, and the wind no longer blew the tall grass surrounding us, it was as if the world around us had been caught in a spell.

That spell was quickly broken by the sound of my father's laugh, victory, as expected, was mine.

The fight had been quick, only five seconds by my count, but all the same I couldn't deny this feeling in my heart.

I felt alive, for the first time in seven years, I felt really alive.

Memories flooded my mind, her memories, memories of past battles fought, of opponents beaten, one in particular was at the forefront however.

She had been trying to prove herself capable of protecting him, of being his blade. The memory, like all of her memories, was somewhat scattered and hazy; but I distinctly remember fighting a king of fell omens, a brother in blood but more a father in reality, at the foot of the great life giving tree, before the ring was shattered.

That fight, like all but two of her fights, had ended in a victory; but that one had been the first, and so nobody had really expected it, not even her in all honesty.

"I'll admit Mizutori, you did good, very good." He held out his palms, there in clear view was a clean cut on both of father's palms.

"Thank you father, does that mean-"

"I gave you my word and I intend to follow it, so yes, I'll teach you what I can." I felt my back straighten and a slight smile grow on my face, whether because of the faint praise or the sweet taste of victory earned, I wasn't sure.

"We start tomorrow, first we tell your mother and I get this bandaged up." My smile only slightly dimmed, not that it was very bright to begin with.

A short time later we were all sitting in the dining room, or well I was sitting, father was standing so that mother could have easier access to his hands, and mother was kneeling in front of him wrapping his hands with gauze.

"So, you want to fight?" I was almost surprised to hear her finally bring it up, it had been silent since I had told her, other than her fretting over father's wounds.

"I do." She hummed for a moment, before she stood up from her now finished job, to look father in the eyes.

"Do you trust her?" I more felt father's hand clench than 'saw' it happen.

"I do, despite myself." She hummed again before I heard her move to stand in front of me.
She put her hands on my shoulders, her touch was firmer than I was used to feeling from her.

"Then I trust you." That was that then, ahh~, that damn smile was back again.

Come tomorrow morning, my training would begin, it would end up being both easier and harder than I had expected to be honest. The first four weeks would end up being basic swordsmanship training, things like stances and basic footwork. It was somewhat embarrassing to find out that these very basic parts of fighting were completely new to me, both to me and to her.

Even in her memories, it was pretty much all instinct, she kept winning after all, so it was never needed as far as she was concerned. Only, she did eventually lose, so I guess that means that I should learn from her mistakes.
It was mostly mind numbing to be honest, a large portion of it I couldn't even do with only the one hand. All the same though, we made it work as best we could, despite having to edit a stance or two to make it work for me.

By the end of the fourth week we had started sparing, nothing as intensive as the first time of course, but sparing all the same. Mostly father wanted to test my defense, in our first duel I was on the offensive for the majority of it.

It turned out there was something I was less than perfect at when it came to fighting. In retrospect, it made sense, in my past life I was fast enough to just dodge the attack generally, and if I wasn't, the power of my… her great rune would simply mend the wound upon the next time I drew blood.
Seeing as I no longer had that power, it was important I learned how to defend myself better, or at least that was what father said, personally I would prefer to just dodge.

Today however was different, father was being more cagey than usual about what we were doing today. He was carrying a large pack on his back, and that combined with the straw hat that most citizens of Kusagakure often wore that he had decided to dress the both of us up in, made me think that we were traveling today.

My thoughts would end up being mildly prophetic it would turn out.

"Hmm, this should be good enough." Setting down his pack Kojirou turned to sit down next to the stream he had picked out, around them littered the giant mushrooms that gave the Land of Mushrooms its name.

As he began to unpack, Mizutori silently, like she was most of the time, sat down in front of him.

"So, today we are going to be doing something slightly different, as I've alluded to before, there's more to being a samurai than just sword fighting," He pulled out the scroll, ink pots, and brushes before setting them down carefully in front of her. "Normally I'd start by instructing you through the steps necessary to channel your chakra."

"However, seeing as you have been unintentionally using yours to 'see' this whole time, it should end up coming to you rather naturally."

Reaching to the side, Kojirou plucked a simple blade of grass from the ground nearby and held it out to her.

"To begin with, I want you to hold this to your forehead and direct the same energy you use to 'see' into the grass, too much and it will fly off, too little and it won't stick." After a brief moment of hesitation, she made a small noise of affirmation in the back of her throat before taking the blade of grass from him.

"After you've managed to pull that off for at least ten minutes, I'll begin to instruct you on basic calligraphy. I've managed to source the ink and paper from a shinobi contact of mine in the village. It's conductive to chakra, I ran mine through it as best I could before we set off today to allow you to 'see' them better."

While he was speaking Mizutori had taken it upon herself to start attempting the task he had set out for her, her first attempt ended up tearing the grass blade to shreds. It was frankly remarkable how much chakra she had; just another difference between his daughter and him at her age.

As she picked up another blade of grass from her side, he continued, "Once you've gotten a hang of them both separately, I'll be having you perform both of the tasks simultaneously. Don't worry, my Little Crane, we have all day." He finished with a smile and a pat on her head, interrupting her concentration and leading to another shred blade.

Her pout only made him smile harder.

I was feeling mildly productive, that and the muse was hitting harder than usual, so have another chapter, on me.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, as long as I feel the answer doesn't spoil too much I'll try my best to answer them.

Last edited:
Honestly not got a lot to comment on. The idea Is interesting, the grammar is good, the fight scene was well done and so far the characters feel like actual people and it looks like you haven't nerfed Malenia into the ground which is always a big plus to not see in crossover fics.

All in all I very much like what I've been seeing and hope you continue, cheers mate!

Last edited:
Chapter 3 (Damned if you do)
Sorry this took so long, I started a new fulltime job after the last chapter and it has taken up a very significant chunk of my time and energy, that combined with me having to restart this chapter more than a few times makes me not overly thrilled with it, and I had a hell of a time with the formatting, but I decided it was simply best at this point to just get something out so I can get past it and move onto the next one let me know what you think of it.

"Your report, Musashi-san?"

Kusagakure was an odd shinobi village, at least compared to most. Kusagakure was led by the same man that led the country the village resided in, and yes, that was technically true for all shinobi villages. But generally, shinobi villages gave their daimyo little actual authority and attention beyond lip service and some manner of respect for being the patron that covers many of the day-to-day costs of the village. The practical leader of a village varied; the major villages had the Kage, and Ame had Hanzo for example.

Kusagakure lacked either enough power to have a Kage appointed or a sufficiently powerful ninja to really lead from the front, as it were.

So, in the waning days of the warring clans period, when many ninja clans were finally settling down, the mostly nonaligned and rouge clan ninja that made up the myriad shinobi in the Land of Mushrooms decided to actually align themselves directly with the Daimyo of Mushroom.

It was likely this choice combined with their once neutral nature, that led to Kusa nin becoming generally known primarily as a mercurial and weaker force than most nations' shinobi.

You came to Kusa if you wanted the job, any job, done cheap.

"We have confirmed sightings of Iwa ninja past Kanabi Bridge. It is the opinion of the council that you should expect a formal declaration from the Earth Daimyo any day now, Asano-sama."

The young noble closed his eyes at this news.

"I see, and The Salamander?" Hanzo of The Salamander was a man with a long shadow, it was he that had nearly single-handedly won the second war for the Rain-Stone Alliance after Konoha had attempted a land grab for Ame territory.

It was the opinion of many that, though many new shinobi had come of an age to fight in the last seven years, it would still be his actions that would determine the outcome of the next war.

"Fortunately, we have no confirmed movements of any Rain Shinobi along our border." There was a sigh of relief from the young man at this. Musashi could understand the feeling. He had been personally present in the battle where Hanzo had named the three Sanin; he had no wish to fight the man or his nation again so soon after the last war.

The young daimyo stood up from his desk before stretching. It reminded Musashi of a lazy cat in the afternoon sun, before moving to stand in front of his window.

"And what of The Washing Pole? Is he still willing to follow through with our deal?"

"Unfortunately, from what I could gather during my last visit a few months ago, he has grown rusty and unwilling to follow through with his end of your bargain, Asano-sama." Musashi said, cringing slightly at the mention of the former samurai.

Naganori Asano frowned at this, which was never a good sign. Musashi had served Naganori for the last 10 years, since his ascension to the throne, and generally the Daimyo preferred to keep a calm and placid smile on his face at all times.
The last time he had frowned in relation to Kojirou, Musashi had been sent out to remind the samurai of the deal that had been made by the two men when he had tried to leave the village with his family just after the second war.

It was a good fight, one of his best in Musashi's opinion.

"That's not good at all." The Daimyo turned to the kneeling ninja, "Let Kojirou know I wish to speak with him now that war shall soon be upon us. I feel my patience does not run as deep as it once did."

"You've done well so far, and so I think it's time we do something important, Mizutori." Father and I were in our usual spot in front of his shrine today. It has been a long time since I started my training under him, at least five months by my estimation, enough time for me to have turned eight.

Most of it had been easy enough to grasp, things I either already knew from my past life or things that should be easy for anybody to grasp. The only real hiccup I ran into ended up being chakra control, I was terrible at it. From what I could gather from my father it was likely an expected side effect of having so much of it. Of course, he didn't know why I had so much chakra and I could only guess it was related to my past life in some way.

"What I'll be teaching you today will be the first and most important technique any Samurai of Iron is taught. As a consequence, if you manage to master it completely, you will be considered a junior samurai of the Ishida clan." That... seemed like a lot to hinge on one simple ability, I almost couldn't believe it was happening this quickly.

"Now normally this wouldn't be happening this fast, but I'm going to be honest with you Mizutori. You were already better than some of the most veteran samurai I've ever met in my life when you started. Now with a better grasp of the basics, you might just be one of the best." Something was bothering me about this though.

"I can't help but ask how you have the authority to name me a samurai, father?" He smirked at me before turning to go into his shrine, he answered my question on the way in.

"Caught onto that, did you?" I heard the sound of a sword being unsheathed from its scabbard inside the shrine. "Well I don't is the answer, if you go ask anybody from Iron, you'll just be like any other ronin, but you and I both know the truth, even if it's not an official one."

Father walks out of his shrine with his actual sword resting on his shoulder. It was absurdly long by most people's measure, it was nearly as long as he was tall after all. Perhaps it says something about me that his blade almost looked short to me.
Though admittedly, that's only when compared to my blade from my last life, which was longer than she was tall back then, in other words longer than some spears.

"This technique requires a chakra blade, and I only have one right now." As he gets closer to me, I can't help but notice again that I've grown taller, only eight and barely a head shorter than my father, it still feels short compared to my past life.

He holds his sword out in front of him before suddenly it burns bright in my 'eyes', he's running his chakra through it, effectively lengthening his already ridiculous blade.

"I can't do this for long, unfortunately I have always had a small amount of chakra." Father looks almost embarrassed for a moment before he ends the technique, darkening the blade once again. "This ability is the base of nearly every ability a samurai knows and will know. The only thing more basic is the physical enhancement techniques I taught you before."

He hands me his sword, it was an even more ridiculous sight on my shorter frame. "I managed to cope without it through sheer ability; with your instincts, you could easily manage the same thing if you wish; in any case, I believe it is best you learn how to do this."

"How do I do it then?" The words came out of my mouth nearly unbidden.

My father smiled and said, "I thought you'd never ask."

As it would turn out, learning that ability might have been a mistake.

My chakra was dangerous.

Of course, we already knew that, and practicing on that grass all those weeks before had even reinforced it. My chakra had infected the blades of grass I ended up using back then; the mere touch of it was enough to infect almost anything organic.
But all that using my chakra on the blade had done was turn the blade into a long infection vector; anything I would cut with it would start rotting away near immediately, starting with the target's mind.

I couldn't help but be reminded of the star conquering giant that the other me had done something similar to, though that had been done with blood instead of some nebulous energy that was a part of everything.

All the same, though, my father wanted me to master the ability even if I was unlikely to use it due to personal distaste. Today, a full month after I had first learned it, was the day of my test. If I succeeded, I would become a 'junior samurai' of the Ishida clan.
I don't really know how I felt about the title to be honest; part of me was happy to join my father in his profession, but the other part of me, her part, felt that the title almost seemed somewhat hollow.

It's not like I had ever really done this out of a desire to be a samurai; I just wanted to fight again.

To my shock, my mother had even decided to watch today. Usually she was content to stay somewhat distant from my training seeing as she was a noncombatant.

The testing area was our usual training area, in front of father's shrine, on the steps of which mother and father were watching from. Differently than usual there was a simple obstacle course in front of me, it wasn't a particularly hard looking one, just a long one.

"If you can hold the technique while doing a full kata and then right after, running through the obstacle course without dropping it, I'll deem that you have adequately mastered the technique enough to use it in battle." Father set the very same clock that he had used for our very first fight. "You have one minute, begin!"

Ashina Uzumaki was worried, not about her daughter's chance of success; Kojirou had sufficiently told her enough about Mizutori's progress to know that there simply wasn't a chance of failure on her part.

She was worried about what came after, war was coming and it was close now. Each day there was another rumor in the village that Iwa had sent another thinly veiled threat or insult. Everyday Kusa was unable to answer those threats with another, too afraid that it would only prompt Iwa to actually follow through with one of those threats.

If war started and Mizutori were to succeed here, then Kojirou would have no option but to recommend their daughter to the shinobi of the village; they needed every combatant possible with how things were looking.

Currently, Kusa was only allied to Konoha, who in turn was only allied to Kusa and Suna. In total, an alliance of one minor village and two majors, though Suna was particularly weak for a major at the moment. This was compared to the enemies' alliance of Iwa, Kiri, and Kumo, each one a major village with its own web of minor village alliances.

The last war had been a meat grinder for Suna and Konoha, whose forces had been bogged down in Amegakure, all of it because of one man.

Hanzo, The Salamander.

A man so skilled and terrifying that even Ashina, a civilian who had never even joined Uzu's academy, knew about him. So infamous was he that merely surviving a battle he was a part of was cause for celebration, and in the case of Konoha's legendary Sannin, gaining fame and adoration because of simply surviving a one on three fight against him.

If Amegakure, a resolute ally of Iwagakure after Konoha had attempted to invade them in the last war, were to be brought into this next war, then Hanzo would come with them. Konoha and Suna would be fine, the major nations each had their own legendary Shinobi to at least match or stall Hanzo.

Kusagakure, where Ashina and her family lived, had no such advantage, unfortunately.

Kusa was famously weak, its shinobi forces were focused primarily on information gathering with only a few strong combatants among them, certainly those few were strong, but they weren't Hanzo strong.

It would be that hell that her daughter and husband would be thrown into, one with few allies and many strong enemies.

Ashina Uzumaki was a Buddhist who had revoked the Kami, yet despite that, every day she considered praying to Kojirou's patron deity, a war god by the name of Hachiman, that they would find victory and come back to her alive.

Victory was mine once again.

The alarm rang just after I had crossed the finish line. It had ended up being more tiring than I had thought it would be. I released a breath as I let go of the chakra I had a firm grip on, no longer forcing it to unnaturally flow along and past the lengthy sword.

As the bright scarlet light fled from the area, I heard mother clapping on the steps of the shrine, there was an odd mix of pride and worry on her face. Father was conspicuously missing, deciding not to worry about it too much I quickly made my way over to my mother's side, I was quickly set upon with maternal hugs and kisses, a worthy trophy I suppose.

Once mother was done accosting me with attention, I heard father clear his throat from inside the shrine. I separated myself from her embrace to make my way inside, only to stop upon stepping inside, my breath catching at the site in front of me.

Father was holding a new blade, my old blade, not Mizutori's blade, but Malenia's blade.

It was shorter than that one had been obviously, closer, though shorter still, to the size of father's blade rather than the nine feet that one had been, and the material to my 'eyes' looked more like the same steel fathers sword was made of only tinted the color of a tarnished gold.

Also unlike that one it actually had a handle, seeing as it wasn't built into a prosthetic, but it was mine all the same.

For a brief moment, as I quietly and shakily took the sword from his hands, I was that young demi-god girl trying to emulate her favorite stories again, the ones about the blind swordsman who had banished an ancient evil.

Father was talking, but I couldn't hear him, too taken up by the hazy memories that were so pervasive in my life. Father's hand setting itself upon my head broke me out of my thoughts.

"You did well, little crane, but I still have one more test for you." Then he collected his sword from the ground where I had apparently dropped it and walked outside.

"I got that made for you from one of the few contacts I still have in Iron. I got the color and feel from one of your drawings you made a few years ago, I hope you like it." I… was unaware that I had even made drawings as a child. It must have been a very old one, likely from before I had realized her memories were more than fanciful daydreams and certainly before I had lost my eyes again.

"I do, trust me father, I very much do."

"Then I hope you don't mind giving it a test run, Mizutori Ishida, samurai of the Ishida Clan." He said it with a smile, his mood almost the direct opposite of what it was back then.

I nodded and, with a smile, stood a few feet in front of him. I readied my blade to the side. He pulled his blade back, point towards me with his feet spread apart. A mirror of our first fight, only this time we were both actually armed properly.

I felt the sun beat down upon me; the wind blowing through my hair; my mother's eyes upon us.
There was a beat of silence except for the sound of the wind whistling past us.

"Ah, I hate to interrupt the celebrations, but I come with a calling from the Daimyo, the war has arrived."

"Kojirou-san I would love to say it's nice to see you again, but well, we both know the truth." As Kojirou made his way into the Daimyo's office, he couldn't help but feel a wide mix of emotions, mostly dread to be honest. However, that didn't mean there weren't others.
On one hand, it felt almost nice to have the moment finally happen, the moment the young Daimyo would finally call his number.

On the other hand, he just wished he could have had more time.

"I'm afraid my patience is running thin these days, Koujirou-san, what with the news of war being so close to my nation once again and all." The daimyo looked different than he did all those years ago, older, certainly no longer that angry child who had just wanted to avenge his murdered father.

"I understand, Asano-sama." The black-haired youth of twenty three looked at the ronin for a moment.

"Do you Kojirou?" He closed his eyes and leaned back in his seat after sighing loudly.

"I'm afraid things have changed slightly, and with your unwillingness to defend my village that I have so graciously allowed you to make a life in, despite our deal, I'm having to look elsewhere nowadays."

"I understand Lord Asano, but I was young and stupid back in those days, and I can no longer follow through with our deal." The youth cracked an eye towards the older man. "Even if I was willing to stand against The Salamander, I would be unable to, as rusty and out of shape as I've gotten."

There was a moment of silence where Kojirou heard yelling in the street below. It sounded like children playing 'ninja', a game popular in this part of the land.

"I hear you have an apprentice now, Washing Pole." Dread filled Kojirou with these words; he couldn't possibly be meaning what he was thinking.

"I... I do, my daughter." The daimyo smiled. It was like a snake in the grass finally finding its meal.

"How good to hear, does she live up to your reputation?"

"...Yes, she might have a higher base potential than even me." The younger man finally sat up from his previously laid back position before responding. "Good, good."

After a brief pause the young daimyo continued. "I'll cut you another deal, Kojirou-san, if you do it for me, I'll let you and your family leave the village with your debt clear, like you always wanted." The samurai could feel his heart beating in his chest; his palms were getting sweaty.

"What do you need?" Only now did the snake open his eyes, his black gaze piercing through the ronin.

"I want you to kill the Third Tsuchikage, do that and your debt with me and the village will be cleared. Do we have a deal?"

Last edited:
Glad to have this back, even if you weren't away that long!

Malenia just, for some reason, fits so well into the world. I also really like how you've handled the scarlet rot and I can only imagine the horror some people are going to have fighting her in the future!

Thanks for writing!

Glad to have this back, even if you weren't away that long!

Malenia just, for some reason, fits so well into the world. I also really like how you've handled the scarlet rot and I can only imagine the horror some people are going to have fighting her in the future!

Thanks for writing!
What are you talking about, Malenia is a Naruto character, haven't you seen her Kage Bunshin no Jutsu?

Chapter 4 (The dance of a scarlet bird)
Welcome to the next chapter, this one went through a few revisions as I had to rethink what I was doing for this part of the plot. Ultimately though, I think it's fine, perhaps not as good as I wanted it to be in my head, but part of writing this at all is getting over that feeling and pushing past my own personal criticisms of my writing. So having said that I hope you enjoy and tell me what you think.

The Kami despise a coward.

Eight years ago Kojirou ran from his death, now eight years and a family later it's arrived again.

He knows he can't run this time, there were really only two options at this point: die against Hanzo of The Salamander or die against Onoki of the Two Scales. There was of course the third option to die to a horde of grass shinobi by refusing either, but that would put his family in even more danger than they already were.

Walking past his field, he felt strange knowing that just a short few months ago he had stopped working on it, leaving his wife to tend to it in his absence. It was supposed to be a temporary arrangement while he trained again, it wouldn't be temporary.

As he came upon his family's small farm house on the edge of Kusagakure he froze, simply staring at the outside of the small building, just basking in the glow of what he had built.

It wasn't that long ago that he was just another drunken war vet whose life was in shambles. However, like always for Kojirou Ishida, the past would always come back to haunt him. Breathing in deep he steadied his resolve and walked inside, taking off his shoes and quietly sliding the door shut behind him. He found his wife and daughter sitting next to each other at the kitchen table, he couldn't help but stare at the pair.

His daughter had fallen asleep at the table, her head laid across her arm. Mizutori always looked more peaceful in her sleep, when awake she usually had a sad and tired look on her face, as if the world was always pressing itself down upon her.
Now though, there was none of that, just a sleeping child enjoying a rare moment of rest after a long day of work.

His wife looked worried, he had consoled her as best he could before he left, but they both knew what was likely to happen.

"I'm back." Ashina quickly looked up from the book she was quietly reading to see him standing in the doorway. The hug she gave him after she got up from her seat made him feel empty.

"How did it go? Did he…" She trailed off after a moment, his face probably told more of a story than he would like, he has always had trouble with that.

"Well, I'm not being sent against Hanzo." She perked up for a moment. "I'm instead being sent against the Third Tsuchikage." Her face crashed down, she wasn't a ninja but she was from a shinobi family, she knew what fighting a Kage meant for him.

"When are you going to leave?"

"The day after tomorrow, he is allowing me that much at least." Ashina glances in the direction of Mizutori who was still sleeping. "How are we going to tell her?" Kojirou sighed before walking over and crouching down next to his daughter, she had gotten so tall already.

He'd never see her fully grown.

"Hey Little Crane, let's get you to bed. Come on up ya get." Kojirou said while picking her up, shifting her onto his back.
She mumbled something about him being late. "I know, but we can talk about that in the morning, I'll have something new to show you I think." She nodded into his back, clearly still too tired to really understand what was going on.

Father and mother had been tense today, both clearly having something on their minds. My best guess was that it had to do with why father had been summoned by the Daimyo, possibly with the war that was now assured according to Musashi's words.

So here we were, both sitting side by side on the steps to his shrine like always, mother was here like yesterday as well, which was odd. I had assumed that that was just due to the test, but perhaps she'd be making it a more regular thing to be present in my training.

"Well, I suppose it's best to just get it over with huh?" Father sighed before glancing over to me and continuing. "Yesterday I was given a mission by the Daimyo, I'm going to be fighting a… tougher opponent than I'm used to."

Ah, I see.

It could only last so long I suppose.

Father went to explain further but I cut him off. "Do you think the enemy will be too strong, father?"
He paused at my words, looking at me oddly for a moment before sighing again and looking towards mother while nodding.

"Yeah, probably." He almost whispered.

Father clears his throat before suddenly standing up and speaking loudly. "And that brings me to why I brought you here, one last lesson in case the worst happens." He makes a gesture to mother who hurries back to the house.

I slowly stand up from my sitting position, conflicted as to who it was I am supposed to be at the moment, Mizutori the student or Mizutori the daughter. Sometimes, to be honest with myself, I wish I could just be Malenia again, she had learned early on that there was only one person she could protect.

Only, she failed him too, didn't I?

"Here, this is yours, remember? Carry it with you always while I'm gone." Father comes back from inside the shrine with both of our swords, pushing mine into my chest, I grab it numbly.

"Today, I'll be showing you a technique that I created myself when I was younger." He went on to explain how it was this technique that had convinced his teacher to take him on, and so he wanted to pass it onto me.

I try my hardest to listen carefully, I do, it's just surprisingly hard right now.

Mother comes back from the house with a bird cage, an occupied bird cage. "So, on that snowtop hill I thought to myself, how could I hit the sparrow if it could simply move around the blade. Well I figured it out, I would need at least three blades swinging at once."

This was perhaps an odd time to zone back in, why was he trying to hit a bird again?

Hiken: Tsubame Gaeshi

It was official, father has gone insane.

"Wrong, again."

This was frankly not possible, how was I supposed to swing three times at once, that simply didn't make any sense.

"Again."

This wasn't like Malenia's Waterfowl Dance, that move was and is a lot of things, primarily a very complicated mix of sheer impossible speed and actual literal magic, not enough to register as a true spell, it was an Ash of War more tied to her blade than to her actual skill, even if she could pull off an almost proper one even without the blade.

Either way this wasn't that, I had even tried to haphazardly pull off a Waterfowl Dance without Malenia's native magic, it was almost perfect.

"Impressive, but still wrong, again."

From above then to the right then to the-

"Too slow, again!"

Before this had started, father had given me a slip of paper that he had told me to channel my chakra into, it collapsed into a pile of mushy rotten wood pulp of course, but before it did that it had split into two pieces.

He had said that that was important, it meant I was connected to the wind in some intrinsic way.

I didn't really understand how me being connected to the wind had anything to do with this, and when I asked he had just laughed and patted my head, telling me to think on it more.

Come nightfall though, I was forced to admit defeat.

Father still patted my head and congratulated me on my progress. "It took me far longer to even pull off what you are doing right now, don't be discouraged."

"Now, how about I show it to you one last time before bed. Copy it to memory Little Crane."

He readied himself into his stance, there was no opponent on the other end, apparently the little sparrow was reserved for when I was training; it would be too easy for him to hit it. He stood still for a brief moment before subtly shifting his hands and quietly saying out loud the name of the technique.

"Hiken: Tsubame Gaeshi"

From the top, from the left, and from the right, I actually, literally could not see the individual swings, he just… swung three times at once.

With one sword.

What did father say ninja called their illusion's again, Genjutsu? Perhaps this was just an elaborate trick he was playing on me.

After his display we went back home, mother made tsukemen, father and mine's (in this life at least) favorite dish, it tasted of ash.

After we had said our good nights and headed to our separate rooms I couldn't help but ponder why this was bothering me so much. I had lost allies before, I had even lost family members before.

Father wasn't even a member of Marika's divine lineage, surely his death should matter less than those. Yet, despite that, this was clearly bothering me more than the death of any of her myriad relations before had.

There was a flash of his face, I put it out of my mind; father's death is and would be painful, but it couldn't be compared to my failure with him.

Eventually hours later, close to sunrise, I forced myself up from my bed. I hadn't really been sleeping so I decided to do the one thing I did know how to do.

Achieve victory.

Perhaps being able to perform my father's technique before he left on his mission would help me achieve some sort of balance in emotion.

Kojirou woke slowly, despite beginning his last mission today he couldn't help but feel almost serene right now. It was a perfect morning; there was a slight comfortable chill in the air warded away by the covers and the warm body of his wife next to him. He could hear a bird chirping not far away, enjoying itself in the morning due.

He got up, careful not to disturb his wife, put on his morning robes for the last time, walked past his traveling gear he had carefully set next to the door in their room and found himself in the kitchen.

Kojirou was never a big fan of tea, but decided that just this once he should perhaps act like the samurai he once was. So, he got out the teapot and carefully selected his cups and leaves for the morning.

Somewhere in the process Ashina had woken up and joined him for tea. Once it was done they both decided to sit on the front steps to their house, just enjoying each other's presence in the cold morning light. The sight of his small rice field in the morning sun brought a smile to his face as Ashina laid her head on his shoulder.

The comfortable silence was broken by the sound of distant shouting from the direction of his shrine.

A girl's shouting.

After a moment where he and Ashina both glanced first at each other then back at the entrance to the house, they both slowly got up and wandered over to the sound of their daughter's shouting.

What they found made Kojirou's eyes widen.

"Hiken: Tsubame Gaeshi!"

They found Mizutori at the foot of his shrine, still practicing his technique.

She was panting heavily and her hair was in a mess, she was moving sloppily from exhaustion and compared to last night's quiet pronouncements of Tsubame Gaeshi, she was shouting it at the top of her lungs.

But all that wasn't what made Kojirou so surprised.

Next to the shrine there was the cooling corpse of a sparrow cut down mid air.
She clearly hadn't noticed them as she quietly muttered to herself between her pants before loudly shouting once more.

"Hiken: Tsubame Gaeshi!"

She struck the air, and to his amazement, three times at once. Tsubame Gaeshi was a simple technique really, the only thing it required was a basic clone jutsu that he had stolen from a shinobi textbook that he had 'found' back in iron.

As you struck the target you would create the clones that would strike in two other directions making your opponent think three strikes were coming at once, when in reality only one was real.

Mizutori wasn't doing the clone part obviously, she couldn't have known how to, and that was the amazing part.

No, instead she was 'simply' cutting once and forcing the air to cut the target in front of her in the same way her blade would. That should have been nearly impossible; most jutsu utilizing the cutting aspect of air required something to guide it like a knife or fan or at least should have required hand seals; he could only pull off his bastardized singlehanded clone seal while holding the sword.

Hell, he had only really shown her the technique so that she would have something to chew on for the next while after he was gone, not honestly expecting her to get it anytime soon. The chakra paper that had told him what her nature was, was just to satisfy his own curiosity, though she had clearly thought it was important to the technique somehow.

"Hike-" She was cut off by the sound of him laughing at the absurdity of his daughter. She stopped mid sentence and turned towards him with surprise written on her face, still panting heavily.

After a moment she drops her sword and bows towards him before saying, "I'm sorry, father."

Still chuckling to himself slightly, he asks her why she was sorry, she only responds with, "I could not figure out the technique before you left."

"Figure out the technique!? Little Crane, forget Tsubame Gaeshi, what you were doing right there far surpasses that little trick!" He quickly walks up to her and picks her up, swinging her into the air laughing the whole while.

"Look at you, nine years old and already beating your old man at his best, trust me little crane, you have nothing to be sorry for." After setting her down he patted her on the shoulder and nudged her to the house.

"Now, how about we all enjoy some tea in the time I have left."

Soon after that proud and happy moment Kojirou Ishida left for Stone.

He would never return.

Father died an ignominious death, not one worth covering in my thoughts. According to the daimyo, when my mother and I had been summoned after his death, he had managed to even draw blood against the Tsuchikage before being cut down shortly after.
He said it like it was an impressive thing to manage, personally, I'd have rather been impressed by my father achieving victory against all odds.

Yet, if Malenia the severed couldn't beat the odds against fate, what was a mortal man like Kojirou to do?

So here I sat, a scant week after he left, on the steps to his little shrine that would eventually fall to ruin as neither my mother nor I worshiped his gods. Mother had taken it as well as could be expected, she had cried of course, but she hadn't mourned for long. She probably thought it was best to try and show strength for my sake.

I won't deny that it did help to have someone else to lean on.

"Good morning, Ishida-chan." I was brought out of my thoughts by the sound of a familiar man's voice, Musashi. I glanced at him shortly before looking back towards my father's rice field.

He grunted, I could feel the smile drop from his face before he made his way over to sit next to me.

"It's a terrible thing." I quirked my head towards him. "Ah, what happened to your father I mean." he said quickly while rubbing the back of his neck.

After this there was an uncomfortable silence in the clearing, "We were friends you know, Kojirou and I."

"We didn't know each other long but after the war we bonded like old war buddies, he told me himself about having you, he was so proud, all 'Musashi look at what I've done' and 'what have you ever produced you shitty ninja'." I won't lie, that sounded nothing like father.

Both the impression he was putting on and the words he was saying, father just didn't talk like that. The man looked at me, probably expecting me to indulge his inane desire to chatter incessantly.

After a while of him continuing to pester me, he gave up talking at me to address why he had come.

"Well, you see before Kojirou left he told me, 'Musashi, my friend, after I am gone I want you to train my daughter, talent like her's should never be left to fester.' and so here I am, following up on his last wishes." he was gesticulating as he talked, his hands flailing about wildly.

I personally doubted his words, if anything he was just sent by the daimyo himself, I wasn't stupid, father had been killed because he wouldn't fight, so now they wanted someone else to take his place.

I had already decided that I would fight though, therefore his subterfuge was unneeded. After all, what purpose would my life have if I couldn't even beat an accursed bureaucrat at his own game.

They would have their warrior, and I would enjoy victory against my opponent.

Who that opponent was, of course, would be different depending on if you asked me or the daimyo.

"-and I know that it will be weird being taught by someone who's not your father, and also not a samurai, bu-" I decided to interrupt him lest he continue to keep talking.

"Then let's fight." I said while standing up, grabbing my sword which had been resting next to me, training was why I came out here after all.

I could see a smile grow on his face, "Right, I suppose it would be a good idea to see where you already are in your training, so I can know what to teach you." He sounded far too eager to fight a literal child, prodigy or no.

As I unsheathed and laid out my sword to the side I could still hear him talking as he unsheathed his twin swords opposite me.

"Now in order for this to work I'm going to need you to come at me with all you got, really try and kill me, you kno-" I decided that I was done listening.

I rushed at him, swinging at him with a simple downwards stroke. He caught it surprisingly well considering I had surprised him.

I backpedaled in order to create room, he had the advantage up close.

He tried to follow, but a simple swipe from the left to the right had dissuaded him from trying to close the distance. However, before I could attack again I was forced to react to a strange whistling sound coming from behind me.

I just barely managed to dodge the odd knife that had come from the woods behind me. Looking behind me I was thrown for a loop as I saw the man in front of me was also behind me.

"Keep your eyes on the enemy!" I effortlessly blocked the front musashi's swing, now on the defensive I realized I might have gotten too used to fighting an honorable opponent.

Throwing off his blade, I tried to go for a kick only for another knife to interrupt my attack.

Stopping mid kick I hopped backwards on one foot, dodging the knife and spinning to regather my footing, I was now pointing towards the Musashi in the woods.

I rushed forward, I could hear the original ninja running behind me. The one I was rushing tried to pull out its own swords before I got to it, it would be too slow.

I felt the tip of my sword enter his skin with my thrust, however instead of a shower of blood like I was expecting, I was instead caught off guard by a sudden cloud of smoke as the man I stabbed simply 'popped' for lack of a better term.

Remembering the original ninja coming from behind I dashed to the right while ducking low, spinning on one foot while low so I could bring my sword forward to force him to quickly block.
At the sound of our swords clashing I couldn't help but smile, this feeling would never be topped.

The feeling of fighting and winning.

Using the force behind my momentum I pushed him back, his hasty defense being thrown back by my blow. I was surprised, however, when after getting past his blades I didn't in fact find the soft and supple flesh I had expected, but instead the cold and unforgiving harshness of a log of wood.
I will admit to running purely on instincts at this point, completely lost as to what to do next, as my opponent was simply gone from where he once stood.

I eventually decided to simply reset my guard and wait for my opponent to make his next move, ceding the initiative for once.

"Well, Kojirou-san clearly taught you well I'll give you, and him, that." His voice appeared behind me from some distance, deeper in the woods his clone had hidden in.

"But, if solid basics is all you have, then I'm afraid that that just won't be enough, not when an enemy like the one who killed your father comes after you."

"Doton: Sazareishi!"

The ground rose up around me, and before I could get away, trapped me in a mound of solid earth, leaving only my head and shoulders out in the open.
"Lesson one," I felt the cold edge of a sword push against my neck as he and his voice suddenly appeared in front of me. "You will be fighting shinobi, not samurai, we won't just use a sword or fight honorably."

I felt him pull his sword back from my neck as he got down from the mound of dirt I was trapped in. Now that I knew where he had been, I could see another clone of him in the woods, its hands were together in the shape of a seal, likely holding the jutsu together.

"Saying that though, you still did pretty good you know, all things considered." he sheathed his swords and turned away from me, likely considering the fight over.

He would have been correct, but I knew something he didn't.

"Tell you what, I'm going to go get a drink and when I get back, I'll let you out and we can go over what you can do better next time, hmm?" As he said this he looked at me askance with a slight smirk on his face.

Taking my silence as an affirmation he turned away from me, after two steps I activated my trump card. A bright scarlet light filled the clearing as my sword revealed itself, its point poking through the mound, with a simple flex of my wrist the enhanced blade easily sliced through the earth around me.

I pushed off the mound landing behind him with one foot on the ground, I raised my sword high behind my head, one foot still in the air.

"Hiken: Mizutori no Mai."

After my father had told me what I had actually done while attempting his technique was not fail, but create something entirely new. I had decided to attempt to replicate the waterfowl dance again.

I quickly found that with the assistance of the cutting wind, it worked just as well, if not better than it did in my past life.

"So, tell me Musashi-san, what is your opinion on the young daughter of our sadly fallen samurai friend?" Asked the oldest shinobi council member, Jinbe Mizuji. A bear of a man who was renowned for once having drowned a Hozuki, a clan equally renowned for being able to turn into water, when asked how he had done it he had always refused to explain further.

"Yes, do tell me when she is ready for battle, the front is becoming harder and harder to control and with Konoha busy against Kumo's offensive, I'm afraid we may have to start sending in the genin teams already." Remarked Shikoso Kamo placidly, the Kamo family was of distant relation to Konoha's Nara clan. While most of the family had lost any real connection to the leaf's shadow manipulators, they did still have their intelligence. As such, Shikoso was chosen to be Kusagakure's main strategist during the war; he had so far performed admirably, though not without complaints about his heartlessness.

There were in total seven members of the Kusagakure shinobi council, most of which were currently out in the field. The only one's not out being Shikoso, Jinbe, and Musashi himself.

Shikoso because he preferred directing teams from the village, and Jinbe because he was getting on in the years and was being used exclusively as a last line of defense for the village, in case the worst were to happen.
Musashi was only here because he was on order of the daimyo to get Kojirou's young daughter up to fighting shape before going out again.

He will admit to at first being dismayed by his orders, Musashi was a man who loved to fight, and he will also admit to not having really believed the now departed ronin that his daughter was 'almost as good as him'.

So, he had gone to the Ishida household almost dejected at being wasted away teaching a cripple while a war was being waged so close by.
It had really only taken one attack from her to change his mind, and her last attack had indeed nearly killed him, if he hadn't used a substitution jutsu for a second time, he would have been killed for sure by her 'Mizutori no Mai'.

It almost made him laugh, naming a technique after yourself almost always turned out to be a joke of the arrogant.

A flash of scarlet light flared in his memory.

"Well, if I'm being honest with you Jinbe, I think Mizutori Ishida is a monster of a girl who could probably overtake all of us in a few years." The part he hated about saying that is that it was true, every single attack she had pulled off was perfect. The fighter in him loved it, to think that there was a warrior in grass who could possibly grow even stronger than him. The ninja in him was suspicious though, frankly, it would be impossible for some chunin to pull off what she was doing, hell, a jounin might find it hard to use wind chakra as effectively and easily as her 'dance' had.

But ultimately, the ninja at war in him decided that no matter how Mizutori Ishida had gotten as strong as she was, she was still an asset to be used.

"Really now, strong praise from a battle maniac like you, Musashi." He nodded in affirmation at the older man's words before turning towards the other shinobi in the room.

"It's my recommendation that we find a use for her on the front, Shikoso." The Kamo heir raised an eyebrow at him.

"And you aren't just saying that because you want to get back to the fight?"

The image of a rotting log flashed in his mind's eye for a moment.

"Not this time, no."

The strategist hummed for a moment while looking upwards, fiddling with a shogi piece as he thought.

"Well, if you think she would work already, then I think I know of an assignment I could give her." He looked down and smirked at Musashi.

"An easy one, of course, we wouldn't want to lose the daimyo's last pet samurai so early on after all.

This is going to end, I really want to say in tears, but I give even odds on her eventually telling grass to go fuck off and making them.

Grass becomes Caelid 2.0, literally everyome around goes "Ha ha, what the actual fuck?!"

If nothing else, she is actually safe from a variety of bodysnatching/mind controlling bullshit in setting, because the scorpion of rot left a very possessive memory, and ain't no body hopper going to nab it's precious.

I don't want to imagine what would happen to a Yamanaka trying to control her.

Hell, using Genjutsu on her is probably dangerous.
Never mind what would happen if she inflicted the Scarlet Rot on a tailed beast.

I don't want to imagine what would happen to a Yamanaka trying to control her.

Hell, using Genjutsu on her is probably dangerous.
Never mind what would happen if she inflicted the Scarlet Rot on a tailed beast.
Considering that Scarlet Rot is a literal Eldritch disease that kills ACTUAL GODS I think they might become a Radahn, or just die.

I'm amused thinking about her fighting people like Orochimaru or Black Zetsu.

"Haha, I'm just going to run off to possess some other body! ...why am I still rotting?"

If Grass becomes Caelid 2.0...

Some of the animals in The Shinobi nations are already monsters, I shudder to think what the Shinobi equiv of T-Rex dogs and Horror Birds are.

Back