The personal log of Aldmeri Jen, Combat Archaelologist (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The personal log of Aldmeri Jen, Combat Archaelologist

# 18th day of Second Seed, 4th Era, year...
IC: Solitude Docks to Bleak Falls Barrow

Hotdog Vendor

Author of 'Sisters of Rail'
Pronouns
She/Her
The personal log of Aldmeri Jen, Combat Archaelologist

# 18th day of Second Seed, 4th Era, year 201

I arrived in Solitude this afternoon, after a pleasant and uneventful voyage. As expected, I received a message by courier from my old colleague shortly after disembarking, along with some local currency and a spiffy set of Relic Hunter armour, which should offer decent protection when I inevitably end up in a cave, or in a squabble with a shopkeeper or home owner who doesn't understand that their precious piece of history belongs in a museum. As I did bring my own supply of Septims with me, I should be fine for expenses for some time. Locating the Dragonborn Gallery was no problem, though I did stop to witness the execution of a traitorous gate guard along the way. I don't understand what all the fuss was about, as no one was paying any attention to the wide open gate when I arrived.

It was good to see Auryen Morellus again. He hasn't changed at all. He's rather excited about all this Dragonborn Gallery business. The place does look rather impressive, even empty of relics. I look forward to the work of making it a little less empty. I doubt it will ever be filled to Auryen's satisfaction, but perhaps if I work hard and am greatly blessed by the Divines (particularly Julianos), I might get my hands on a solid dozen decent decent pieces and a load of assorted odds and ends to fill out some space. Time will tell. Perhaps I'm being overconfident. It has been quite some time since I've really done this and my skills have grown rusty. But on the other hand, this Nordic air seems to be doing my body good. I feel healthier than I did aboard ship, and my connection to the magicka of this area has grown a little stronger already.

I spent a good while familiarising myself with the design and layout of the gallery and library. Auryen said there was a secret passage up to the safe house from the library - I think he mentioned a loose stone? I should be able to find it another day. But I was quite mentally exhausted from the trip and from so many new experiences in this city that I decided just to take the stairs outside rather than waste time looking.

I stopped to look at the sky on my way up the stairs. It's really quite beautiful. Beings have been looking at that same sky for countless generations. Many artifacts - both ancient and modern - depict the stars.

I found an old book in my bag which I don't quite remember packing. An adventuring guide specific to Skyrim. I must have found it and stuffed it in my bag while I was distracted. Odd that I didn't see it during the voyage. It would have been a worthwhile read. Skyrim's outdoors is a harsh place. I hope I'm gone before the weather turns cold...er. What will be more dangerous: above ground, or below? I'll likely be forced to find out.

I'll write more when I feel more refreshed in the morning.

# 19th Second Seed, 4th Era, 201

Before I continue writing about my deeds, I should ensure the reader is familiar with the details of myself. I am Jen, a female Altmer. A High Elf, if you will. Or if you won't. I really don't care what you think about that. I have been many things throughout my complex life, but currently I find myself with the somewhat incincere title of 'Combat Archaelologist', bestowed upon me by colleagues who had imbibed sufficient amounts of wine after I found myself in yet another scrap on a dig site. In fact I am not much of a fighter, though I can handle a sword. Not one of those massive broadswords though. In all honesty I prefer to use sneaky means of reaching my goals, when possible. I'm something of a prodigy in Illusion magic, though I've never found the time to learn many spells. I can send an opponent into a frothing frenzy against their allies, if necessary, and I'm sure I could calm someone down to the point of refusing to fight, but I haven't quite figured out how to weave the magicka flows efficiently enough for it to not fizzle. Argh! At least I can create some decent sparks at a fair range, a good light to see by, and even a protective shell to augment my somewhat light armour. I've almost figured out how to make a stable shock rune but... perhaps I'll figure it out in between diving ruins and perusing stalls. Not likely! The bizzare thing about my magic is that the spells I can do, have perfect magicka efficiency, while the two I can't manage are horrendously... sorry, enough about that. You want to read about me, not magicka efficiency.

Let's see now... I'm rather acrobatic, making me good at landing on my feet when I inevitably fall (or get pushed) from heights. I recover quickly from physical exertion and I have some nomadic heritage which helps protect me from disease, which is useful more often that good sense recommends. For all my dexterity and stamina recovery, I can't actually hit very hard with a weapon and I don't benefit so well from armour, but I do find that I benefit exceedingly well from enchantments on items, when I have the priviledge of handling enchanted items. Part of that is innate, and part is a blessing from my patron god, Julianos. That's a long story which cannot be told here, as I really had better get on with writing about my day.

Auryen gave me a list of places to look for relics. The most ugent item was some urns, which were with someone named Borgoth in a little village named Helgen. It sounded like an easy warm-up task, as the other two have associated risks of bandits and assorted cave-dwellers. Also, because it's in the warmer southern region of Skyrim. See, I am not entirely bereft of humour. To this end, I procured some food (mostly baked goods) and a refill of my waterskins from a dingy inn named the Winking Skeever. The proprieter gleefully informed me that the name due to his former posession of a pet skeever, which winked. So that's one for the history books. I heard there's a Bard's College in Solitude, not far from the gallery. One of them had better get that vital fact immortalized in song! But I jest.

Oh, I also had a bizzare converation with a man who seemed... not fully posessed of his faculties. I think he was posessed by something else. Probably something I don't want to mess with. He wants his master to return. I have a feeling no one else wants his master to return, whatever manner of being that my be.

I had formerly noticed a local camped by a horse-drawn cart, not far outside the (unguarded) city gate. It was a pleasant walk down the hill from the city, during which I caught quite a few butterflies, for their wings. For a fair sum, he offered to take me to Whiterun, the nearest city to Helgen. For a slightly less fair sum he took me to another little town which was closer to my intended destination. I didn't bother asking how much he would charge to actually take me to Helgen. That turned out to be for the best. But I am getting ahead of myself.

The cart trip was quite exhausting, especially as the driver of the cart had many tiresome, human opinions to share. We arrived in Riverwood after dark, and I quickly found the Sleeping Giant Inn and paid for a bed. I fell asleep before I could even consider writing about the trip, which is why this part was written later.

# 20 Second Seed, 4E, 201

I woke up in something of a hurry, as I had originally hoped to get to Helgen the previous night. Fortunately, I did take the time to briefly examine the other patrons of the inn before setting out. I spotted a fellow Altmer woman, who turned out to be a pyromancer offering her services for hire. She agreed to accompany me on my travels for 500 septims, the amount which Auryen provided for me. I'm not sure that's what he had in mind, but if it keeps me alive then it is money well spent. And it did, or rather she did. But I'm getting ahead of myself. There was also a Dunmer there who claimed to be of House Hlaalu, and was seeking someone of great power for... something? I suppose the pyromancer wasn't good enough for him? His loss. Unlikely he'll find what he's looking for sitting in an inn in Riverwood. (In an inn in? I should be a bard!)

Before setting out for Helgen I purchased a leather helmet from the local blacksmith, as there was none included with my Relic Hunter outfit. I should really get myself more clothes, when I have a moment to shop. That was a good decicion, as we were only a couple of minutes walk out of Riverwood when we were set upon by bandits. Actually, I saw them coming, and hit their mage (I could tell by the robes, of course) with my frenzy spell. That took care of the mage and one of their fighters, leaving two injured fighters for the pyromancer (she prefers to remain anonymous) to easily finish off before they could harm us. I took some of their armor (to sell later) and found a spellbook on the mage. A fire blast spell. Might be useful... if I had time to study it and didn't already have a pyromancer on staff. I also scored a bearskin cloak for each of us. Staying warm will be vitally important.

A little further on we found the trio of standing stones, and a temple built into the riverbank. I popped in to commune with Julianos for a moment. Also because I thought I saw a dragon while attempting to try fishing in the river. Not my finest moment. Except maybe I actually did see a dragon?

There was definitely a dragon when we reached Helgen. The place was trashed and on fire. The pyromancer saw the dragon too. But it was black and looked more menacing than the red one I might have seen by the river. Though any dragon is menacing in my opinion. In any case, no urns. No Borgoth either. I did find a dead prisoner's journal though. Someone the Empire caught trying to cross the border. There wasn't much worth taking in the keep, besides some mage robes and a healing spell book. I might have to patch someone up, given how this is going. All up it was a waste of time. (Apart from an interesting book I found about the Dragonborn legend. Relevant!) I did find a survivor named Rolof in a cave below the town though. Had to give him a healing potion before he could say much. (I would say it's a pty I didn't have time to figure out that healing spell, but I don't think it works on other people than the caster.) He was a prisoner who saw the whole thing. In thanks for my assistnce he offered the help of his sister Gerdur in Riverwood. (Also possibly to try not to get on our bad side.)

On the way back to Helgen, we met some more bandits. I hope that doesn't become a theme for this trip. (That goes double for dragons.) They seemed clustered around the entrance to a mine. Rolof says that's Embershard Mine. That seemed familiar to me so I dug through my bag and found a scrap of paper I'd found in Solitude. It seems that some bandits have been kidnapping tavern wenches and arranged to meet in that mine for... trade. Someone should do something about that. But I'm sure not about to walk - or even sneak - into a mine full of divines know how many bandits, not even with a paid pyromancer. Close to town we met a travelling merchant, who bought some of the junk I'd collected, and sold me a spell book I found interesting. It purports to teach the reader how to conjure a hunting knife. That would be a neat trick. I did do a bit of hunting in my younger days.

Gerdur was glad to see her brother, and gave me the key to her house. I didn't have time to go in though, as I got distracted by a rather amusing love triangle involving a Bosmer archer and a bard. Also a woman named Camilla who I did not get the chance to meet. Sven's approximation of what he thinks an elf would write is quite laughable. If I get the chance, I'll have to show her. (Sven is the bard, and is a human.)

The urgency of warning the Jarl of Whiterun about the dragon moved me to leave the village before I could meddle much in the affair. But I didn't get far. On the road I found a pile of three dead wolves, left by some other adventurer. Untidy. I tried remembering some of my old dressing, skinning, and harvesting skills, but... it's been a long time and I couldn't get the hunting knife spell to work. I'll need to study it when I have time... which I don't have because I lost track of time playing at being a hunter. The pyromancer just watched until it got late, then complained about not having money to buy food. What happened to the 500 septims I paid her? I gave her a little more but made her carry a wolf carcass back to Riverwood. I hope she learns her lesson. And I hope the dragon doesn't burn down Whiterun before I get to visit it. But I'm not travelling after sundown if I can help it.

# 21 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 6AM
I woke up realising how to make that healing spell work! (I think I do my best spell study in my sleep. Curious.) Then I realised it was still the middle of the night and I'd been woken by a bandit sneaking into the inn. He didn't get far. For how quickly the fight was over, the aftermath was rather drawn out. I successfully claimed the bandit's gear (to sell) as it was my mercenary who finished him off. He had another bearskin cloak too, this one enchanted to resist magical attacks. Score! I'll keep the spare though.

Since it was starting to get light, I decided to head out right away. We reached Whiterun without incident this time. Apart from meeting another travelling merchant and selling more flowers and butterfly wings I'd picked. Didn't get much for them. Didn't expect to get anything for them. Anyone can pick flowers! I'll grant that butterflies are a little harder to grab. Perhaps that's my special talent! That and being good at finding ancient relics, and using simple magic spells without using much magicka. And landing on my feet. And benefiting from enchantments. Five special talents. Ah, and my unique sense of humour. Six talents. And my great humility makes for seven.

Oh and I received a letter from a courier. I think I may have seen him before. The letter was from someone called Cassia. She really knows how to catch my interest: ruins holding 'riches beyond imagining'. Also her brother went in some days ago and needs rescuing. If he's still live, he'll last a little longer. I'll check that out once I'm done with my current tasks. If I remember.

## 2PM
Whiterun's gate guard actually did his job. Took me a while to convince him of the importance of letting me in to see the Jarl. The city seems nice enough, though it feels a lot smaller than Solitude. I overheard some people talking about a jester in... a bunny suit? I missed most of the details, as I wasn't actually trying to eavesdrop. On the way up to Dragonsreach (I hope that name isn't indicative) I met another Altmer lady offering her services as a mercenary, though this one's a ranger, not a magic user. The locals aren't so keen on magic. I decided that I could really use another hand (one that can use a sword better than mine) and hired her on the spot. She lasted a minute before asking for an extra payment for food. Pyromancer is a bad influence on her.

I gave her the money though. And the spare unenchanted cloak. And a wolf carcass.

Why am I carry two dead wolves around Skyrim? I'm supposed to be a relic hunter.

Before meeting with the Jarl I caught up on my journaling. I don't want to forget any important details.

## 3PM
The Jarl was thankful for the news, and gave me some armor as a reward. (It looks warmer and better sealed than my Relic Hunter armour, but it's less... armoured. Pass.) I was glad to have finished something successfully. There was also a lot of political nonsense, and the court wizard sent me back to Riverwood to find a stone relating to the dragons. Conveniently it's in the same barrow as is on my 'search for relics' list. Or perhaps inconveniently, Auryen wants the same stone for the gallery. The wizard, Farengar Secret-Fire, is quite an idiot. He started rambling about how I could be of no help to him and how the Jarl was sitting on his throne and not visiting in his wizard lair... while the Jarl was standing right behind him! The Jarl pretended not to notice, in the patient sort of way that makes it more obvious that he's displeased than actually saying it outright. Or I could be imagining things. I didn't get enough sleep, thanks to that bandit. Time to go throw more money away. The inn will probably be too brightly lit to be able to sleep at this hour of the aftrenoon. So, the opposite of Dragonsreach. (If Farengar was a half decent wizard he'd be able to do something about how ridiculously dark the entrance to this place is!)

The Bannered Mare inn was only a short distance away. Before taking an afternoon nap, I roasted what I'd been able to harvest from the wolf, and made myself some soup, and some lavender tea. I also met a merchant named Elethor, who offered me some enticing tomes of forgotten magic. Sadly I could not afford such a purchase, thanks to the care and feeding of my mercenaries.

## 9PM
I had a nice nap full of dreams aboout the conjuration of hunting knives, but I'm still sleepy. My sleep cycle is going to get messed up if I'm not careful.

Before going back to bed I reflected on what I've learned the last few days. I'm already getting some mastery of using alteration and destruction magic, and my use of light armour has improved. But illusion magic is where I'm seriously shining. I think I know how to help my allies do more damage, and do critical damage more often... without me even having to put in any effort. Having a commanding presence is just one of my talents.

After I get more sleep.

# 22 Second Seed

## 7 AM
Much better rested now! But I wish I had slept another hour, as the general good store was not open for business just yet. It was open though. I'm surprised it wasn't locked. I had to wait around for an hour reading books on the shelves before the proprieter showed up. His name's Belethor. Not at all confusing. I bought two more waterskins, as I only have three and those are shared between three of us. Wish I had money to buy books. I sold the armour the Jarl gave me, and a potion which I hope I don't need. Wish I had money for books. Oh, I already wrote that.

## 9 AM
Met a Dunmer named Janessa loitering outside Belethor's shop. She too is a mercenary, but I think two is enough (and definitely all I can afford) for now. I remember her name from the town noticeboard. She wants a couple dozen sabrecat pelts. Why? I don't know, but she's certainly an intense character. Perhaps I'll hire her some day if one of my current mercenaries doesn't work out. Now, back to Riverwood! After I chop some firewood, milk a cow, and fill these waterskins. Bes to be prepared.

## 11 AM
Fell in the water. Got soaked. Ended up in the Hall of the Dead to dry off. Found a priest of Arkay who lost his amulet. Should be easy enough for the three of us to get it back for him. It's almost relic hunting! Just, a very modern relic of no historic value.

## 1 PM
Skeleton warriors! Not hard to kill but had to kill one of them twice. At least the amulet was easy to find, and it wasn't quite dark enough to need a lighting spell. Andurs (the priest) gave me 15 septims for my trouble, and I felt the blessing of Arkay on me. And I collected some armour and silver plates and goblets to sell to Belethor. And found an unusal gem. Will look into that later. Now it's really time to get out of here.

## 2 PM
Killed a wolf. And bristle back boar (ouch!) Left the bodies. The healing spell works!

## 2:30 PM
Helped out some Whiterun guards in a fight against some bandits at a watchtower. Got no thanks. Looted the bodies. Found a magic ring that gives good fire and frost resistance. I'll put it on if it's relevant, as I already have a ring that helps me find magical items. Too bad no one's figure out how to get multiple enchanted rings to play nice together.

Also found a better bow for my mercenary ranger.

## 3:45 PM
Found the jester. Funny suit, not bunny suit. His voice is stupid and his dance is dumb. Helped him to shut him up. And for the coins. Shiny clinky gold. Ugh, I can't get his voice out of my head!

## 3:50 PM
Relised I misread that sign. Turned around before I got to the snow.

## 4:30 PM
Found that noisy Nirnroot under the bridge!

## 4:44 PM
I'm a great runner but I do wish I could afford a horse.

## 5 PM
Met a pair of Vigilants of Stendarr. Both Dunmer ladies. There has to be an interesting history there.

## 6 PM
Any thought of asking about the Dunmer Vigilants was interupted by a bandit attack. The Vigilants ran away. So did I but only between bursts of lightning. I managed to only get hit once. Took a while but we finished them off and collected some spoils. A Whiterun guard was nearby but offered no assistance. What are guards even for? The fight was surprisingly good for my health. That healing spell is weak though. But I figured out a way to make restoration spells a little more powerful.

## 6:08 PM
Was surprised by a wolf. Found an ancient monument. It's a pillar to Kyne's Peace. Something to get back to when night isn't falling.

There's an old ruin ahead. Look like a bandit hotspot. We'll try to steer clear.

## 6:32 PM
Three more wolves. They didn't last long at all. Also another of those pillars. I wonder what they were for? We better get a move on if we want to be in Riverwood before it's pitch black out. Also saw a cave - Redoran's Retreat - but did not go in. Not the time.

## 7:11 PM
Attacked by skeleton archers at Hamvir's Rest. Where did they learn to shoot like that? Also I realised that I took the wrong road *again*.

Should have bought a tent or at least a bedroll. But I got a extra sleep last night so I should be good for a while longer. But where to go? We're as far from Whiterun as Whiterun is from Riverwood.

## 7:47 PM
Destroyed a Skeleton Mage. Twice, as the first time didn't take. Also some other skeletons. It was a near thing. Twice I had to chug a health potion, and my ranger was downed for a minute. But I figured out some light armour tricks watching her fight, so there's that.

Hopefull there's somewhere to sleep inside.

## 9 PM
Decided not to go into Dustman's Cairn. I smell danger. Spotted a distant cottage. The owner was... not helpful. He summoned a rather strong fire atronach in my face. I ran screaming. Amost ran into a tundra spider. Then ran into wolves. Lost sight of mercenaries. It is very dark.

Sensing danger and reading maps are not among my talents.

## Nine Dark Thirty PM
A sabre cat bit me. Jumped in water. Cold.

## 9:52 PM
Ended up back at the cottage, found mercenaries. They told me they dealt with the summoner, Drelas. I don't know how. They're worth every septim I pay them. I hope there's a bed in this cottage.

## 10:03 PM
Sleeping while tresspassing would not be wise? But the owner is dead! I shall loot his house for good and books... wait why does he have *two* copies of volume 3 of the biography of Barenziah?

## 11:07 PM
Found and killed that sabrecat! This is doing *wonders* for my health. Had a sudden inspiration: I can use alteration magic to make more septims to pay my mercenaries! With my current skill level, I estimate I should be able to fashion 120 septims per day. Genius.

Now I really need to sleep and I'm miles from anywhere.

# 23 Second Seed

## Late
Bandits. Minotaur! What?

## Later
What even is a Hybrid Soul Cultist?

## 1
Noo mercenaries don't fight the sleepy mammoth it didn't mean to bump me!

## 8:32 AM
Slept in a tent by a fire. I think it belongs to a man who has a cart outside Whiterun, but he wasn't using it. Was woken up by rude highwaymen. Killed them while still half asleep. My mercanaries want money for supplies. *sigh*

## 10:00 AM
For real on our way to Riverwood. Sold loot and asked the priest of Arkay to fill up waterskins rather than risk getting soaked again. I collected more butterflies as I travelled and had a flash of inspiration. I think I can set up some magical contingencies to trigger in certain circumstances without having to intentionally cast them every time. I was something my mother tried to show me but I never quite hot it until now. Not sure why the butterflies made me think of it. I wonder what I should set up. I'll think about it on the way to Riverwood.

## 10:35 AM
Amazing how close Riverwood is when you go the right direction!

## 11:20 AM
I found Camilla. She's alright for a human. Her brother is pigheaded though. Turns out he had an artifact stolen from him and he wants me to get it back for him. There's some bandits... in the same barrow I already have two reasons to go to. Oh, I didn't get to the pigheaded part. He won't let his sister come relic hunting with me. Oh well.

## 1:40 PM
Fought our way to the entrance of Bleak Falls Temple. Good thing Faendal offered to come too. So many bandits!

## 8:27 PM
We fought a couple more bandits inside. Found a locked chest and was able to open it with alteration magic! Some decent valuables inside, and a pretty playing card! I really must collect the whole set. Before venturing further I decided to take an evening nap to recharge and reflect on what I'd learned fighting the bandits. (Unfortuantely they tend to be too strong for my frenzy spell so I'm mostlly using sparks.) We were woken by some of the denizens of the barrow: undead preserved Nords. Ugh. Unfortunately I haven't learned any good spells for dealing with undead yet. So much to learn... Speaking of learning, I've managed to increase my magicka pool a little further, and I've increased my efficiency with alteration spells. I should be able to get them to last even longer now. And I've made some significant improvements to my use of light armour.

Now, time to dive this dungeon!

## 8:48 PM
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Stood back and watched a bandit activate a poison arrow trap.

The solution to the puzzle that deactivates the trap is rather simple.

Pyro wants drinks. Gave her some wine I swiped from that summoner's cottage.

Concerning amounts of spiderwebbing.

## 9:26 PM
Gave Ranger the dumb bandit's exquisite studded armour. It's a lot brighter than he was! I had to fight skeevers in a stairwell. They bite hard! That healing spell is still frustratingly slow. Restoration magic isn't my forte.

## 9:45 PM
Giant spider!!!

## 9:51 PM
Killed the spider with no harm to me (with a little help at the end from Pyro).

Poisoned myself trying to extract poison from the spider.

*sigh*

## 10:05 PM
I have the golden claw. Also killed a bandit and read his journal. (Also read some other books I found and stashed in my bag at some point. Learned a bit about blocking and pickpocketing! Handy... if I was in a different profession.) Got interrupted by one of those draugr, dressed in rags. It shouted something in a language I don't recognise.

## 11:16 PM
Sparks aren't a great choice for fighting draugr, but it's all I have if I don't want to get up close. They're quite tough and when they yell at me it makes quite an impressive shockwave! To make matters worse they had a resurrected tavern wench fighting for them. I hope it's not too much further.

## 11:53 PM
New kind of draugr. Tougher and makes a wave of freezing cold when it yells. The second one nearly chilled me to death. But it wasn't smart enough to stand in the middle of a hall full of swinging blades.

By the way, there's a hallway of swinging blades. Great.

# 24 Second Seed

## 1 AM
Hah, oil lamps! Watch those draugr burn!

Ahhh a lich, run!!

## 3:18 AM
Difficult fight against more draugr scourges (the freezing type). We'd barely had a chance to breath when we met an even tougher and stronger one... with fire breath. Fortunately it was in a chamber with two doors in, so we could lead it in circles and eventually took it down. Wow, what a fight!

Need a proper sleep soon.

## 7:20 AM
Opening the door to the sanctum wasn't difficult, as the lock code was etched on the claw that unlocked it. Fighting all the draugr on the other side of the door was another matter. And there's more still further into the chamber. Which is poorly lit. Alright I've caught my breath, time to keep fighting.

Hold up, these draugr are attcking with fire and ice... I really ought to be wearing that magic ring!

## 8:45 AM
Why were there *ghost wenches*? At least they seemed to be fighting against the undead. Some of those skeletons were positively hateful. We finally cleared the area, with great difficulty, such as angry undead, icicle-throwing wenches, Pyro repeatedly walking in front of my sparks, and Faendal complaining about a lack of drinks. I gave him some wine earlier but it's only made him thirstier. But I think the end is in sight. Good thing, I'm exhausted.

## 9:06 AM
Is that chanting I hear? Something about the carvings on that wall is speaking to me. It's not a type of writing I recognise, and I studied up on ancient Nordic languages before I left. I'll take a closer look.

## 9:07 AM
Oh.

So that's what those pushy draugr were yelling. Fus. Push. Neat! Wait, how do I know that?

AUGH A Lich! It's summoning minions and it knows how to say Fus too! And some other words. RUN!

## 11:34 AM
Sprinted back to the entry chamber. We hurt the lich a little but it kept summoning draugr sourges which we could barely kill. Avoiding the lich while doing so was... fraught with difficulty. We are fatigued and need to rest. But I fear we must go back, as the dragonstone was not in the chest in the final chamber. I'm positive the lich has it.

I dearly hope the lich cannot open the gate.

## 3:41 PM
Got a good four hours' sleep. We were luckily not interrupted. At some point in all the fighting I found a spell book with a fire blast spell, and I looked over my notes on it before sleeping. I figured it out during my slumber... all except being able to cast it effiicently. I don't have nearly enough magicka to cast it, and doubt I ever will. Unless...

Yes, I can set up a contingency to cast it automatically when I cast another spell. It will skeeverback on the magicka flows and... yes. I can only do it once per minute but it should help against the lich, I hope.

On the topic of magicka flows, I realised something else while fighting earlier. Sometimes my spells turn out more powerful, while othertimes they're weak and ineffective. I think it's an unfortunate and unavoidable side effect of the 'efficent' way I found to cast simple spells without using up any net mana. That explains why my healing spell was sometimes working so slowly. It's a potentially deadly inconvenience but it's better than not being able to cast anything at all.

It occurs to me that I never noted my previous spell contingency. I had it worked out that when I raise a spell or a weapon, it would cast the oakflesh armour spell, and candlelight for illumination. It was quite handy. Now I'll have to lose the candlelight. One more thing to remember to do, as some parts of this place are too dark to readily see enemies, walls, hazards, and the path down which to flee.

Time to face that lich.

## 7:20 PM
Wow what a fight! Running, sparks, healing, lights... Not sure if my contingency actually helped much.

Had trouble finishing off the lich when it was almost dead, but that took care of itself after I sprinted through one of the (two!) halls of swinging blades and the lich tried to follow. Phew! Let's see if it has the dragonstone on it. Then I'll check out the now lich-free main burial chamber. After I give Faendal more of my lavendar tea. And grow my magicka pool a little. And remind myself of some of my mastery of sneakiness. And solve that problem of not being able to cast more than the most basic destruction spells without ludicrous amounts of mana.

Oh and reset my original contingency, now that I can reasonably cast a fireblast.

## 9:34 PM
After relieving the lich of his precious cargo and completing other sundry tasks, I got to properly observe the main burial chamber. Fascinating architecture. Not sure if the stream running through the middle was part of the original design, or if the necessary bridge was a later addition after some subnirnian mishap. Nothing worth looting, but did find stairs leading up to a secret shortcut out to the surface. Got to practice my new firebolt spell on a rather nasty draugr deathlord.

Spotted a cave on the way back to Riverwood but couldn't see a way to get close enough to identify it. We did visit a nice old woman living lone in a cabin, though to get there we had to take an indirect route to avoid a giant walking tree-creature which was scratching its back with a smaller tree. Looked like some sort of ancient spriggan patriarch. No need to mess with it. It looked like one swipe of its tree could send a body flying out of Tamriel, perhaps out of Nirn entirely. Found a large ruby egg at the cabin. It looked like it was once part of Sed-Yenna's diadem! Quite a valuable find, and all I had to do to get it was avoid a walking tree. A nice change of pace.

A little further along I came across some kind of ancient wayshrine. A mysterious wind blew a torn note into my hand. Someone else was looking into this? Yes, it's clearly not Dwemer. The author of the note mentioned snow... perhaps hinting at snow elves? That would be an amazing find. I must follow this up, when I get a chance.

# 9:55 PM
Riverwood is on the opposite side of the river to me, and the bridge over the river is on the opposite side of Riverwood to me. Perhaps if I jump from rock to rock...

# 10:08 PM
Filled up my waterskins. No risk, since I was already soaking wet.

That same courier turned up again, with a letter from the Jarl! He said I'm moving up in the world. As if I care about this land's petty rulers.

I shall read the note when I'm not freezing. Hopefully the Jarl doesn't want his armour back. He'll have to take that up with Belethor. Or did I sell that piece to the blacksmith? She's the Jarl's steward's daughter, so I'm sure they can sort something out.

# 10:19 PM
Different Jarl. Wants to sell me land and make me a thane. Not likely. I'm instantly suspicious. He's the one that Whiterun's Jarl mentioned when he discussed the touchy subject of sending troops to Riverwood. I don't need troops trampling through an inn I'm trying to sleep at, or getting in the way of my relic hunting.

Faendal gave me some fine boots as 'a token of our friendship', then loudly complained about the lack of gold for supplies. Confusing. I sent him home. He can eat the food he already owns in his house.

I kept the boots. I mean, to sell as soon as he was gone, along with the other loot he was carrying for me. I let him keep the cloak and the Imperial bow I gave him.

Perhaps I'm sending mixed messages here.

Conveniently, a travelling merchant was drinking in the Sleeping Giant Inn. Sold him a lot of the lesser artifacts I collected. They're not the sort of thing Auryen would put on display, and they're all quite common. Besides, if I decide I want them later I know where to buy the back, and I won't need to bring along hungry mercenaries for that.

The locals are in good spirits. The lumber man was ribbing another fellow for not putting in an honest day's work. No one here has worked as hard as me in the last day! I hope this barrow is not indicative of the quality of ruins in Skyrim. So. Many. Undead!

One of the tavern wenches told me about the Jarl's bounty on some bandits in the area. I'll steer clear of them.

Time for sleep. I hope I can figure out that hunting knife summoning spell.

# 25 Second Seed

## 8:51 AM
Slept well. Sorted out some of the techniques and skills I'd picked up. Didn't figure out that hunting knife though. Had an idea for a spell: a thundercrack that's a fair bit stronger than my sparks. I'll look into that more later.

I have a fair bit of gold now so I wasn't too upset about providing for my mercenaries's needs. I also bought myself some more provisions, and another waterskin for each of us.

I'll look into that other ancient site now. Silent Moons Camp. The Jarl's wizard can wait for his dragonstone.

Naturally it's raining today.

OOC: Level 10
I'll take a few moments to note my current status:

# Stats:
Level - 10
Max Magicka - 194
Max Health - 215
Max Stamina - 114
(these include increases from effects)

# Skills:
Light Armour - 36
Sneak - 25
Lockpicking - 6
Pickpocket - 5
Speech - 17
Alchemy - 5
Illusion - 35
Conjuration - 10
Destruction - 32
Restoration - 20
Alteration - 33
Enchanting - 15
Smithing - 5
Heavy Armour - 5
Block - 6
Two Handed - 8

## Light Armour
- Mastery 2 (40% bonus armour rating, gain small amount of LA experience from combat wearing 2+ pieces)

## Sneak
- Mastery 1 (Sneak 15% more effective. Effectiveness depends on visibility, sound, skill, distance.)

## Illusion
- Mastery 2 (Illusion spells cost half magicka, last 1% longer per level (currently 35%), mind affecting spells are 0.2 points stronger per skill level (currently 7))
- Able to cast Novice and Apprentice level Illusion spells due to having Mastery 2 and skill 25+
- Need skill 50+ for Adept spells

## Destruction
- Mastery 2 (half magicka cost, .5% stronger per skill level (currently 16%))
- Able to cast Novice and Apprentice level Destruction spells due to having Mastery 2 and skill 25+

## Restoration
- Mastery 1 (cost reduced by 35%, .25% stronger per skill level (currently 5%)
- Able to cast Novice level Restoration spells due to having Mastery 1
- But can cast any Novice spells anyway because Apprentice ability makes all Novice spells cost 0 magicka

## Alteration
- Mastery 2 (half magicka cost, last 1% longer per skill level (currently 33%))
- Philosopher's Stone (Once a day, generates gold equal to 4 times skill level (currently 132 septims)
- Able to cast Novice and Apprentice level Alteration spells due to having Mastery 2 and skill 25+

## Personal/Permanent
- Race: Shimmering Threads: Weapons and armour 15% weaker, enchantments 15% stronger
- Elven Supremacy: Flawless Perfection: Reaching 100 in a skill makes it 10% stronger
- Nightblade: Shadowmaster: Illusion spells clost 15% less magicka to cast
- Gold and Glass: Magicka and stamina regenerate up to twice as fast below half. As regeneration increases, armor decreases by up to 50 points and magic resistance by up to 25%
- Nomadic Heritage: 50% disease resistance. Unlimited stamina out of combat
- Acrobatics: 75% less fall damage and 25% faster stamina regen
- Spell learning: can learn spells while sleeping. (Can't learn them instantly while awake. Sometimes discover new spells to learn while sleeping.)
- Patron God: Julinos: Enchantments 15% more effective (Could be changed to a different patron)
- Apprentice Stone: Prodigy: Novice spells cost no magicka and all others cost 15% less (could change to a different standing stone)
- Apprentice Stone: Sorcerer's Apprentice: Spells are 50% more or less effective than intended. The former is more likely. (ditto the above)

## Item/Temporary
- Wellness: Health increased by 10
- Varied Diet: Stamina and Magicka increased by 9
- Bear Skin Cloak: Resist 11% of magic
- Weatherward Circle (worn ring): Resist 51% of fire and frost
- Fortify Warmth: Frost resistance increases warmth by 25
- Well Rested: Skills improve 10% faster for 8 hours
- Blessing of Arkay: +25 health, 4ish hours left
- Exposure: Warm: time spent near fire increases health, magicka, and stamina by 10

(I sorted them into those categories for your convenience)

# Worn

## Relic Hunter Boots
- Light Armour: 15
- Warmth: 12
- Coverage: 14
- Fine
## Relic Hunter Gloves
- Light Armour: 43
- Warmth: 110
- Coverage: 54
- Fine
## Relic Hunter Curiass
- Light Armour: 14
- Warmth: 12
- Coverage: 14
- Fine
## Leather Helmet
- Light Armour: 19
- Warmth: 35
- Coverage: 43
- Fine
## Simple Bear Skin Cloak of Resist Magic
- Warmth: 40
- Coverage 12
- Resist 11% of magic
## Golden Necklace
- Nothing
## Weatherward Circle
- Resist 45% fire and frost (that gets buffed by my enchantment buffs to 51%)

# Available

## Ring of Looting
- 4% change of extra magical item from people killed

## Opulent Hood I
- Increase max magicka by 23%
- Not armour
- Warmth: 25
- Coverage: 43

## Opulent Robes of Mastery I
- All spells cost 15% less to cast
- Not armour
- Magicka regenerates 50% faster
- Warmth: 110
- Coverage: 54

# Weapons
Elven shortspear, exquisite ancient nord battleaxe, pickaxe and woodcutter's axe, fine imperial bow

# Spells

## Alteration
Candlelight, Oakflesh (40 points armour for 79sec), Open Locks (scales with Alteration skill, so up to Apprentice level locks)

## Illusion
Fury, Calm

## Destruction
Shock Rune (58 shock damage, 110 cost), Fire Blast, Sparks (9 shock damage/sec)

## Restoration
Heal self 10 points/sec

## Shouts
- Fus (Force): Locked
- What's a shout?
- 0 Dragon Souls
- Why would I have a dragon soul? How would I have a dragon soul??

## Powers
- Contingency: store the equipped spells in matrix to be autocast when conditions are met (oakflesh and candlelight when I draw weapons/spell, 60 sec cooldown)
- Weathersense: display warmth, wetness, and weather conditions
- iNeed actions (eat, drink, sit, fill waterskins, etc. I do the former automatically and have more convenient ways to do the latter)
- Forage: search outdoors for edibles and useful materials
- Path of the Woodsman: Start your hunting journey (Hunting in Skyrim mod start)
- Primitive cooking: cook some basic recipies with a campfire and sticks and stones
- Scrimshaw: make useful and semiprecious trinkets from animal bones
- Sense direction: outdoors know which way I'm facing (but I'm using the compass)
- Assorted options menus I won't list

# Forgotten Magic

A mod with spells that level up over time. They're categorised into classes. Each can level up 5 times. Choose 1 upgrade at each level.
When a spell gets to max level, earn an affinity point which can be spent to increase the power of a chosen class's spells. (So there's a benefit to staying in a class and leveling its spells.)
The max level can be raised in a config menu, for a higher number of upgrades, but that makes earning affinity points much harder since each level requires more points than the previous.

## Fire Blast
- Pyromancer, duh.
- Shoots fire blast at a target.
- 34 fire damage on hit
- 20 magicka cost
- Progress 66/360

Upgrades:
- Searing Pain: chance to ignite target for 5sec
- Firestarter: chance to fire twice at no cost (triggers all relevant Ordinator perks)
- Pyromaniac: +50% damage and +25% cost
- Backdraft: chance to knock back nondragon targets
- Hot Streak: chance to decrease Fire Blast mana cost by 70% for 8 sec
- Combustion: If the target is affected by Searing Pain or Ignite (That's on another spell, does the sme thing as Searing Pain), consume these effects and reduce target's fire resistance by 33% for 10 sec
- Unrelenting Flame: deals additionl damage equal to 8% of your current magicka to the target
- Havoc: deals additional damage if the target is not currently attacking the caster
- Intense Flames: Doubles the damage of Searing Pain / Ignite
- Cremation: Deals double damage to targers affected by Combustion. (obviously you take this *after* Searing Pain and Combustion)

There are 5 other Pyromancer spells to learn, and 6 other classes.

- Dragonborn Gallery: Investigate Silent Moons Camp
- Enslaves Wenches: Find and read information about enslaved wenches at Embershard Mine (that'll give 5 rescue missions)
- Mind of Madness: Enter the Pelagius Wing of the Blue Palace (I've never done this afaik)
- The Forgotten City: Meet Cassia in the forgotten ruins. (quest mod I haven't done before)
- The Golden Claw: bring the claw to Lucan to get paid
- Bleak Falls Barrow: Bring the Dragonstone to Farengar Secret-Fire
- On the Metaphysics of Moving Bodies: Find Beredalmo's Dwelling (quest to unlock wayshrine fast travel)

# Misc Quests
- Gather stuff for people
- Find someone's glass boots in a gorge
- Explore a monument
- Kill bandit leader at Valtheim Towers
- Take Unusual Gem to an appraiser (aka join the Thieves Guild)

Back to my adventure...

Last edited:
Mods (Modifications not Moderators)
## Legacy of the Dragonborn
The centrepice of this playthrough, LotD adds the Dragonborn Gallery to Solitude, and tasks the player with filling it with artifacts for display. Y'know, all those things you'd collect in a regular playthrough and either sell, use a few, or stash them somewhere they'd likely never be seen again. It also adds a treasure hunters guild you can join, in order to get the quests to seek out the relics. I've never played it before, and started this playthrough a couple of days ago specifically for it. LotD has patches for a lot of the mods I'm already using (including some quest mods I added but mostly never played or didn't finish yet) so there's display space in the museum for a whole lot of stuff. Starting playing with LotD enhanced my roleplaying and inspired me to write this log in character, which I've decided to share with you.

Has a few other mods and patches baked into it, including The Gemstone Collector (which I was previously using already).

## Hunterborn
Instantly picking up pelts and parts from slain cretures is way too easy and 'non-immersive'. Hunterborn 'fixes' that. Now skinning and harvesting takes time. I've configured it to require a hunting knife, and for tanning to require animal fat. Collecting those 25 pelts for Janesssa isn't gonna be so easy now, and definitely isn't gonna be worth whatever she pays me :p I largely added this cos LotD has patches for it, plus it seemed interesting. It in turn has patches for Hunting in Skyrim which adds a hunting guild, so I added that and also a related mod which adds a hunting shack player home in the Rift.

Oh and the patch that adds in the Mod Configuration Menu since that's not in by default cos some modders and players still avoid SKSE64 because "it's in alpha". Srsly everone it works fine.

## OMEGA
A very significant part of my setup. Also the source of the suggestion to try out LotD.

OMEGA is kinda modpack/framework. There's a lot involved but it's pretty easy to set up if you read carefully and follow instructions.

As I'm using it, OMEGA combines MorrowLoot Ultimate with a bunch of other mods to make Skyrim more hardcore. Skyrim Revamped: Complete Enemy Overhaul is a large part of that. Also Skyrim Immersive Creatures, Organised Bandits in Skyrim and OBIS Patrols. And KS Dragon Overhaul 2 to buff the dragons. And a bunch of other stuff...

There's now uncapped levelled encounters zones. And an automated script to add the EZ level numbers to the zones so you know what you're getting into. The reason the patch is built by script is because otherwise you need more layers of patches for lighting mods and other such things that modify those cells... it's whole thing. Anyhow there's lots of difficult and diverse enemies to fight. And less powerful gear to collect. The top tier stuff stays super rare. You don't just start getting daedric level gear from every bandit cos you're a level whatever.

I've included the OMEGA version of Heavy Armory that adds a bunch of weapon subtypes.

I'm using the Complete OMEGA patch which means I'm also using Immersive Armors (a variety of armour variants on NPCs), Weapon Armor Clothing and Clutter Fixes (including Armor and Clothing Extension)

## 'EnaiRim'
Mods by Enai Siaion, who makes a lot of mods with a lot of content that add a lot to the game! I haven't really played without them since I got back into Skyrim after a long break, so there's probably a lot of features I've forgotten are modded :p
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim replaces the entire perk tree, which is why you don't recognise the perks I've taken as any of the vanilla perks. I've tweaked it a little with a patch that lets mage robe perks work if I'm wearing armour with the robe, and another that adds back in more levels of enchanting perks. Might be relevant?
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim adds a whole lot new spells to learn. Especially more powerful and interesting destruction spells. But more interesting spells in general.
More Apocalypse: more apocalypse
Imperious - Races of Skyrim increases the distinctiveness of the races. That's why my Altmer character gets a debuff to weapons and armor and a buff to enchantments, and will get a buff to skills at skill level 100. That's also how she got the ability to set up a magical contingency, unlocked by collecting 40 butterfly wings.
Thunderchild - Epic Shouts and Immersion adds new shouts which are alternate meanings of words, which are unlocked by meditating in front of the statue to Kyne in the High Hrothgar library. Also there's quests to buff your shouts by earning favour with Kyne. (... of Skyrim??)
Andromeda - Standing Stones of Skyrim changes the effects of the standing stones. That's how my character gets free novice spells and 50% random buff/nerf to spell power
Summermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim, changes/adds enchantments
Wildcat - Combat of Skyrim: changes the combat system a lot, including a wound system. I haven't mentioned it during journaling but my character sometimes breaks enemies' arms or legs, causing appropriate debuffs. And has had an arm broken a few times. And spine. Spinal fractures *halve* your remaining health. Ouch! (That's mostly lead to my character dying. I don't include deaths. Too much to write already.)
Sacrocanct - Vampires of Skyrim. Vampire tweaks, vampire abilities. So long since I played a vampire and I haven't played much as a vampire with this so I'm not actually sure which features are new :p

There's also Ravengate - Riften Underground. It adds a fighting tournament and a bunch of NPCs. I tried it out and kind liked it but suffered from a fatal 'all the NPCs keep aggoing when they definitely shouldn't' bug so I had to stop using it and am not playing it on this playthrough. A pity. (Also I'd love to have stolen some of the NPCs for companions but that didn't work. Sad.)
Oh and Smilodon - Combat of Skyrim overhauls the combat AI but I've never tried it.

## Moonlight Tales
Overhauls werecreatures, sorta like Sacrosanct does for vampires. I've never quite gotten around to playing as one yet so I don't really know how it plays yet.

## Live Another Live - Alternate Start
Start with your choice of occupation in a variety of locations and situations! Also added an addon that adds even more possibilities. Some are race specific like being a Thamor Agent, in an Orsimer Stronghold, or as one of those Alik'r warriors with a curved sword. Unfortunately with OMEGA a lot of them are in places I just can't survived for long enough to get away and have a chance at playing.

Also the Thalmor Agent start was trapped in the embassy because the doors were still locked, last I tried it. And the starts that require lockpicking aren't so good with a lockpicking level requirement mod. And the only way I've found to start as a werewolf dropped me in Solstheim which I don't know my way around and have no chance of surviving in at level 1. Oh well.

For this playthrough I ended up choosing the top option of arriving by ship, because it's pretty straighforward and fit being a newcomer to Skyrim. Solitude because I like it best of the port options. By chance that's also the very first Alt Start I got when I returned to playing Skyrim. (That character got 'lost' (not by a mistake on my part that time) and narrowly avoided freezing to death due to incorrect configuration causing all clothing to have 0 warmth. But would likely have been freezing anyway in those conditions :p

By happenstance it turned out that LotD has a trigger to start its quest immediately when you start in the Solitude dock, so when I found it I decided I'd go with it and built my character and class around that, which pulled me into the roleplay deeper and here I am spending three hours writing about my modlist while listening to the sound of rain from Skyrim which is currently paused :p

BTW if I hadn't been sent to Helgen (to see Alduin fly off and start the main questline), then LAL would have sent me there if I asked an innkeeper for rumours. The adventurer's journal my character found on a burnt body is basically the account of what a vanilla-start character would have experienced in the default cinematic entry. (It's generally not possible to play that with a lot of mods because the scripts break and it gets stuck. That can also happen unmodded, thanks Bethesda :p)

## Campfire and Frostfall
Can build a campfire (not simple! Though not as difficult as IRL) and set up tents. Skyrim is now actually cold and that matters. There's buffs and debuffs based on your exposure level. Getting wet is bad expecially in cold weather, and doubly especially in frigid water. Clothing/armour has warmth values and coverage values. Coverage is how much it prevents you from getting wet in the rain. Temperature varies with location, time and weather. Fires warm you, ice spells chill you. Cover from tents is important in cold conditions. Also warm food warms you up. And you can warm up with magic if you know how!

I also have the Frostfall Seasons mod so seasonal temperature differences are a thing. Also Winter is Coming - Cloaks. And Tentapalooza for more camping stuff.

Campfire also has its own perk tree system that requires... a campfire to interact with. It has camping perks and Frostfall adds endurance perks.

## iNeed

I need to eat, drink, and sleep. So do my companions. I can carry water in waterskins, and need to use water in some cooking recipes. I have it set up to reduce the amount of food lying around, and food weighs more. Alcohol quenches thirst but it dehydrates. Salt is now needed in some recipes.

I stopped using this mod for a while but decided to put it back for this playthrough because I felt food had no purpose without it, which would devalue Hunterborn. Plus the setting for followers to have needs helps balance them out a bit. I wish they didn't pester me quite so often though.

## Ultimate Combat SE
Does locationl damage but I've switched all that off in favour of Wildcat. Can boost health of some enemy times but that's already taken care of so that's off too.

What I am using this for is advanced enemy AI. I've defintely noticed some enemies doing fancy flips out of reach! Devious.

## Immersive College of Winterhold
Makes the college look better and function a bit better too.

## Skill Uncapper
Lets you customise skill caps (both max reachable and max for calculation purposes) and skill gain/reward rates.

More specifically, you can set multipliers for how much skill xp you gain for each skill, based on the skill's level and based on player level, individually. And separately, how much level xp you get for gaining skill levels, again with separate multiliers for each skill's skill level and player level. Also you can set how much health, magicka, stamina, and carryweight you gain at each level up. Also the number of perk points per level. (For example, I got no perk at level 2 because I hit that almost immediately due to the next mod. Past level 80 I only get half a perk point per level, assuming I get that far.)

I've got all skills capped at 125 for the character, and 160 for calculation. (So I can't raise a skill over 135, but if it's buffed by an effect it caps out at an effective 160. You could do the reverse if you wanted.)

Skill gains are all a low 0.4 initially, reaching 1.0 multiplier at skill level 40, then increasing a little until it's 1.2 at 80, but dropping back to 0.5 from 100. (In my setup, player level doesn't affect skill gain rate.) But there's speed humps at skill levels 15, 16, 25, and 26. I can't earn any skill xp at those skill levels. Those require training or skill books to pass.

Skill gain doesn't give any level xp at all, because...

## Experience
Lets you gain xp from discovery, clearing locations, and completing quests, rather than from skill gains. Lets you limit maximum skills based on character level. (So it's the reverse of vanilla, where player level is caused by skill gains.) Optionally lets you earn xp from kills. (Well, it's all optional since you can set anything to 0. I'm using reduced rewards from the default, but I've reduced the penalty on kill xp for having followers, because otherwise I was getting 1xp max per kill, which was sad.

There's also an option to switch xp gains from skil levelling back on, but that only does vanilla gains and does not care about Uncapper settings. Though you could manually set multipliers to reduce it if you figure out how. I just left that off.

I've set the skill cap to 20 + 1.25 x level. So at level 10 the max is... 32.5? But I have a skill at 33. Not sure if it's not working, or it rounded up. We'll see if it gets to 34 before I reach level 11.

## Sleep to Gain Experience
Skill experience gains are banked until you next sleep.

Hmm, maybe that's preventing the cap from Experience from applying? I hope that's not what's happening, cos then thing thing that's slowing my skill gains in one way isn't slowing it in a different way.

## Smart Training - Tweaked
You know how you can pay trainer NPCs to get skill increases, five times per level? But while you're out earning gold and raising your level (or just trying to find/reach the appropriate trainer), you end up going up by multliple levels, wasting those training opportunities? Well now all training opportunities are banked until you want them. Guaranteed 5 trainings per level, at your convenience. (Or change that number in the config menu. Optionally earn a perk point by training enough times, but I'm not using that.)

## Spells Require Perks
The Ordinator version (cos ordinator removes the default line novice-apprentice-adept-etc perks in favour of Mastery 1 and 2) requires Mastery 1 to cast Novice spells, Mastery 2 and skill 25 (each in the appropriate school skill of the spell) for Apprentice spells, 50 for Adept, 75 for expert and 100 for master spells. You can't just cast whatever without investing perks if your magicka pool is big enough (and/or your found/bought the right robe). So where you put your first perks matters a lot!

## Spell Learning and Discovery
Gone are the days of looking at a spellbook and instantly knowing how to cast a new spell. Now reading a book gives you spell notes for the appropriate school. When you sleep (but not multiple times a day) you have a chance of learning a spell. Having more spell notes of the appropriate school of magic increases your chances of learning. So does talking with NPCs that can train in magic, about magic. Also sleeping in temples or the College helps.

You can see what spells you know about in the config screen, and choose the order you'll try learning them in. You can also see your chances for learning and your cooldown time. There's also a chance of discovering a spell (to possibly learn) without the spellbook. (That happened to my character with Thunderbolt. Or was it Thunderclap?)

## Dragon Soul Relinquishment
Pay dragon souls (at High Hrothgar, after you know all of Fus Ro Dah) to get various buffs. Number of souls required, exchange rate, and maximum increase are configurable. So I can get 1 perk point for 8 dragon souls, up to a maximum of 20. Basically in case I need a perk or two or a bit of a buff in the late game when I'm swimming in dragon souls. Also I haven't actually tried using it yet.

## AutoHarvest
Configurable automatic pickup of loot and plants and stuff. Can set minimum value to weight ratios. Can toggle it and set excludelists. Means you don't have to rummage through every body, walk up to every flower, and peer in every burial urn. Saves a lot of time.

I had to disable picking up of animal parts and pelts or else it would bypass Hunterborn and give me pelts before skinning. (And after.)

Also had to turn off harvesting of crops because I have iNeed set to make me purchase or steal crops (or ask to help harvest them) and autoharvest was bypassing that.

## Ore Falls on the Ground When Mined
Exactly what it says on the tin

## Point the Way and Road Side Travels
The former adds more road signs. Which I kinda forgot to read. Twice. Oops.
The latter lets you fast travel to places you've visited by activating a road sign pointing there. Limited immersive fast travel!
There's a patch to make the former work with the added signs of the latter.
I'm using this cos having fast travel on is too much, but having no fast travel is just too inconvenient.
I tried out a SOT mod that allows fast travel but consumes food (I was playing without iNeed at the time) and has a chance of causing disease or triggering an ambush. But the ambushes could happen 'on the way' which a) was rather wonky because Skyrim doesn't have a way to interrupt fast travel like you can with sleeping and b) 'on the way' could end up being further from your starting point than your destination, and sometimes in the opposite direction. I'm not *that* bad at reading maps and signs. Usually.

## SWIFT
Skyrim Wayshrines - Immersive Fast Travel, I think. Adds a bunch of fast travel points around Skyrim. I need to complete a quest before I can start activating them. And activating and using them will cost. Wayshrines are nearish to useful locations but out of the way enough that people aren't tripping over them. So they're not too easy to discover.

## Carriage and Ferry Travel Overhaul

Adds more carriage destinations, and can travel by boat to locations on the same waterway. Also the wagons are covered.

## Zim's Immersive Artifacts
Makes the unique artifacts you find not be so underpowered.

## Zim's Dremora Improvements
Makes dremora more varied and interesting and worthy opponents considering what they are.

## Enhanced Atronachs with Levelled Summons
Because atronachs need love too. And by love I mean staying relevant and worth using rather than being ignored as soon as you can summon dremora. I haven't played with this before so we'll see how it goes.

## Open Cities Skyrim
Moves ciies into the worldspace so now you can seamlessly walk through a city gate without loadscreens! And install patches for any mod that is effected by that change :p But any significant mod does, or has an OCS version, because it's pretty important.

## SOT Sleeping Encounters
Chance for your sleep to be interrupted! Based on where you sleep. Configurable.

Once I started a vampire character and the very first time I slept (camping outside Whiterun) I got murdered in my sleep by the Dawnguard. Oops.

Now I set a combat delay of 5 seconds so I don't die before I can open my eyes. Though that wouldn't help that level 1 vampire when surrounded by the Dawnguard :p

## Amazing Follower Tweaks
Have multiple followrs, give them all commands, and manage their outfits and combat styles. Also have them level up automatically or manually. Or set poses. I've never looked at the poses.

## Immersive Citizens
The people of Skyrim go to appropriate places at appropriate times. Including running away when they ought.

## Equipment Durability System
Weapon and armour degradation with use, by loss of temper levels. Very configurable!

## Signature Equipment
As you kill, equipped items gradually get better. As your legend grows, so does your gear! Mainly exists so players can stick with less optimal gear that they like better.

Basically works in opposition to the durability system. Higher level enemies give a greater benefit. Smaller things will give less benefit than you lost fighting the thing. Choose your battles and fight smart!

Perhaps build up the legend of an item so you can sell it for a higher price. Can work as an alternative to smithing for magic users who are good at avoiding being hit and don't want to put perks into non-magic skills but want to improve their gear somehow.

Can be capped to prevent it from growing ridiculously.

## Reality Alchemy
You now need sterilysed flasks to do alchemy. You need glass to make those. You can make your own glass by melting down empty bottles. Potions now leave bottles when you use them. Not poisons though. Keeping poison bottles is unsafe!

Or you could buy flasks at exhorbitant prices.

The point is, now alchemy is not a ridiculously easy way to make money.

## Ars Metallic Smithing Enchancement
Another must have. Makes smithing good and useful.

## AHO
I've completed the first part of this three times but have never gotten back to finish it off yet. I'm using a delayed start patch so it won't trigger until I finish a particular quest. It'll be a surprise.

## Moon and Star
I haven't started this one yet. We've already met the quest giver, but I've got a delayed start patch so he won't ask for our help until we're somewhat more powerful. Apparently it involves hunting down a powerful criminal, branching quests, and my actions will have post-main-quest consequences!

## The Forgotten City
We've already been invited to start this quest. I hear it has puzzles requiring non-lateral thinking, and has nonlinear questing with moral consequences! Also won some awards. I definitely try it soon...
(I've received the invitation letter a few times but have never properly started it yet.)

## The Final Cataclysm
I got as far as triggering this one in my previous playthrough but never got around to setting out on it. Involves time travel. This is a multiple quest mods all in one pack, so there's a lot to do here!

## Immersive Wenches
This is a quest mod? Yes, it adds radiant quests to rescue captured wenches from bandits. It also adds wenches to taverns who sell the usual tavern things, plus some travelling wenches, some with bodyguards. Some have merchants too.

I've also added in Dangerous Wenches which replaces some female warrior NPCs at random with wench versions (cos wenches can fight too!), Forgotten Wenches which adds Falmer versions (which appear with Falmer and can summon more Falmer and chaurus), plus Hateful Wenches (we've encountered some already in Bleak Falls Barrow) and Judgement Wenches (guess where they show up).

## Noticeboard
Take your choice of radiant quests from a noticeboard outside an inn. These quests can be to/from anywhere in Skyrim. Also adds a community messageboard with interesting/funny notes, often related to the location. Some of the rewards include skill training. Patch for Solstheim included.

## Missives
Adds a large missive board to cities with radiant quests specific to that city. Some are deliveries with time limits! Quests tend to be relevent to the associated NPC too.

## Golden Egg Treasure Hunt
Adds a variety of eggs to find, with interesting flavour text. Collect them, sell them, or consume them for a variety of powerful potion effects. My character will be doing the former. Not exactly a quest but fills a related niche.

## New Treasure Hunt
Adds more treasure maps, iirc

## Skyrim Unique Treasures
Adds a whole bunch of stuff to collect. I'm playing the lore-friendly immersive version, which means I may have to steal a bunch of stuff. Actually I already stole a bug in a jar from that summoner's cottage but havenm't mentioned it yet. (He really did attack us on sight.)

## Narrative Loot
Adds various books, paintings, dinnerware, and such to collect (or sell) because it's stuff that ought to exist. And adds various bits and pieces to where it ought to be.

## The Parthurnax Dilemma
Adds more choices for resolving the Blades questline

## Radiance
Adds world encounters that are based on your quest choices. Your actions have results! I used to play with Immersive Encounters but that triggers a *lot* of crashes to desktop while out adventuring so I cut it. Happily, this one doesn't do that.

## Forgotten Magic
Adds a whole lot of spells that level up over time (with use). They're categorised into classes. Each can level up 5 times. Choose 1 upgrade at each level.
When a spell gets to max level, earn an affinity point which can be spent to increase the power of a chosen class's spells. (So there's a benefit to staying in a class and leveling its spells.)
The max level can be raised in a config menu, for a higher number of upgrades, but that makes earning affinity points much harder since each level requires more points than the previous.

There's also rings that give stat buffs to the wearer while empowering one of the spells or effects in some way.

The new merchant Elethor sells some Forgotten Magic stuff.

##The Art of Shadow
Spells that can create darkness. The opposites of candlelight and magelight.

## Shadow Spell Package
Adds shadow themed spells. Not just shadow themed, but shadow empowered!

Haven't learned any yet, but I'd like to.

## Strange Runes: Spellcasting Enhanced
Doesn't add any spells or magical effects, but makes them look so much cooler!

Sorta like Doctor Strange now that I think about it. Is that what the name is meant to imply?

## Slow and Freeze Time Spells
I still haven't obtained any of these in any playthrough. There's a single merchant who sells these. I'll have to look out for him when I go to... the appropriate city.

## Charge or Fill - spells
Spells to charge/fill enchanted items and soul gems with my own magicka, but at the cost of debuffs to magicka regen.

## Perception
Spells to examine an NPC, or yourself. See stats, abilities, and weaknesses.

## Patron Gods of Skyrim
Adds a temple near the Riverwood standing stones where you can choose a patron god (or daedric lord) for a single relevant buff. Sanguine basically turns all alchohol into health+stamina potions!
The buffs are nice but I mostly added it cos it seemed interesting for RP purposes.

## Wood Chopping to Max Weight
Don't have to keep restarting chopping firewood every few pieces.

## Axes Chop Wood
Hit a wood chopping block with any axe to get firewood! Choices!

## Hunters not Bandits
Prevents NPCs from taunting animals as if they were sapient opponents. Because that's pretty ridiculous.

## Genuinely Intelligent Soul Trap
Prevents soul/gem wastage in a sensible way. Also I'm using the levelling system to gate use of soul trapping based on conjuration skill.

## Holidays
The people of skyrim celebrate significant days on the calendar in appropriate style. Decorations, AI behaviours, and the all-important courier notes to tell you what's coming up!

## Usable butter churns and milkable cows
Becuse why not?

## The Eloquent Reader
People who read a lot are better speakers, right? Right. Gain Speech experience by reading books. And notes.

## Command Stealth Kills
Tell followers to stealth attack someone. I haven't tried it yet.

## Go on Ahead
Before, you could only tell your followers to wait for you where you currently are. Now, tell them to wait somewhere else. Specifically, in your choice of city.

## Populated Cities
Adds more NPCs to cities as approprite. The Open Cities version of course.

## Reflection - Level Up Messages
Musings that sometimes appear after levelling up. Apparently a feature of older Elder Scrolls games that was missing from Skyrim, until now. IIRC.

## Your Own Thoughts
Changes a lot of on-screen messages and interface text (as much as possible) to be in first person. Immersion! A lot of patches to work with a lot of mods that have such text.

## Improved Bards
Mainly a graphics mod but also adds some extra bard NPCs to some taverns

## Travellers of Skyrim
Adds extra NPCs travelling between cities. I think that includes the mercenaries I hired.

## SOT Horse Riding Hazards
Adds some hazards to horse riing, and benefits to staying on roads. I haven't actually ridden a horse since installing this.

## Extended Stay
Now stay at an inn for 3 days, a week, or a month, without having to find the owner and get shown to your room every single day.

## Equippable Tomes
Fashion a magical book and wear it on your belt to empower your spells of the corresponding school! Then when you learn more about that field of magic, you'll eventually be able to craft an even more powerful tome! If you reach level 100 in a skill, you'll be able to boost it by a massive... 50%. If you have paper and leather and a big enough soul gem and space on your belt.

## Poisoning Extended
Shows you what poison you have applied to a weapon, adds hotkeys for more convenient poisoning so it's not so tedious to use poison.

## Candlelight and Other Minor Spells as Lesser Powers
Because for non-casters it's really inconvenient to switch to a utility spell. Adds spellbooks that teach an alternate version of some utilities that are powers that are activated with the shout key rather than by casting from hand. Probably not relevant to this character. But I'd like to give a shoutout because it wasn't working right for me and the mod author fixed it for me, and it was very useful for my previous character who benefited a lot from avoiding wasting Vancian Magic slots casting Candlelight every few minutes.

## All Thieves Guild Quest Concurrently
Because you should be able to do multiple kinds of jobs for different people without having to travel in at out of the Ragged Flagon between every single one!

## Bring Out Your Dead
Fixes citizens and characters missing from the Hall of the Dead if they die.

## Bellyache's New Dragon Species
Adds a variety of additional types of dragons. Some have a chance to spawn the normal way, some are preplaced in specific locations. Which means if you're not careful you can run into them when you're really not ready to face them. Exciting!

This is how my character got surprised by a dragon before getting to Helgen. The first time she froze... and then got frozen :p Luckily it didn't show up after taking a brief refuge in the temple, so that worked out surprisingly well for rp purposes.

I've also got Diverse Dragon's Collection and Splendor Dragon Variants. and Bellyache's HD Dragon Replacer to make them prettier.

## Rotmulaag - Immersive Meditations on the Words of Power
Makes meditation with Parthurnax better. I haven't actually gotten that far yet with it installed though.

Realistic Lighting Overhaul, Enhanced Lighting for ENB, a few texture mods including Rustic Clothing and Unique Uniques, Pastel Map Markers, Quality World Map and Better Immersive College of Winterhold Map. Book Covers Skyrim. Vivid Weathers Definitive Edition. Floating Damage (shows damage numbers over characters! Nonimmersive but handy.)

Oh and Opulent Outfits (including mage robes of winterhold) and a fix to make old people properly look old. Also Total Character Makeover which makes the people look like people :p (Except some of the children have no hands, what's up with that?)

Naturally I've got SkyUI because who would play with the default UI and many mods require it.

A Matter of Time - Clock HUD Widget (very handy for showing me the time and date without having to open inventory to look for it)
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul - enables a bunch of dialogue that was recorded and shipped but never used! And improves some follower interactions and dialogue menus, I think.
Simply Bigger Trees. Realistic Hair Colours. 2K Glowing Staffs.

A faster standing up animation.

Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch because duh. Seriously Bethesda, why don't you fix any of your bugs?
Flora Respawn Fix so flowers aren't gone forever after being picked.
Some framerate/memory fixes.
Realistic Ragdoll Force (lul wat)
No Spinning Death Animation (srsly)

Better Dialogue and Messagebox Controls, so selecting options with mouse and keyboard both work properly and consistently.
Stay at the System Page because hitting escape should show the game menu, why did Bethesda break that? Without it, manual saves and changing any settings is horribly tedious.
Particle and shader patches

# Other Stuff
I'm sure I missed some. This not not entirely exhaustive.

Last edited:
Intentions and FAQ
# My Intentions
I intend to play through the game focussing on collecting relics for the Dragonborn Museum, roleplaying as a relic hunter. I'll be doing other mods' quests as they come up, as seems appropriate to the character. She'll probably be infiltrating other guilds in order to get her hands on more artifacts. She'll be a primarily magic-using character, with a bit of swordplay especially once she's in a position to train it without dying instantly. (Bleak Falls Barrow was an encounter zone she didn't have any business being in at level 9. Kiting deathlords around and trying to deal with a lich that summoned draugr scourges was... problematic, especially since her companions kept getting knocked down.) Also she'll be getting into stealth which may be needed to obtain some relics with owners who don't want to part with them. Shadow magic is likely.

This is not a quest. I'm playing at my own pace, taking notes, and posting them at my convenience. I may ask for suggestions and might even follow some suggestions, but this is my playthrough, not yours. All decisions are final. (Including the decision to change my mind.) This isn't the place for heated arguments. Nor is it a contest. You are an audience not participants. I repeat, this is not a quest.

This is also not a place for debates over the morality/ethics of characters or factions in the Elder Scrolls canon (or noncanon). And definitely isn't the place to discuss anything else.

Also don't give spoilers for quests I haven't played yet. Probably best not to give spoilers for quests in general, for the benefit of other readers who'd like to be surprised.

Keep in mind that I often know more than my character knows, but write in character without that knowledge. So if I seem ignorant of something important that might just be Jen, not me.

Also the opinions of the character are not the opinions of the author.

# Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can any questions be frequently asked given that you wrote this section before posting the thread?

A: It's a figure of speech, and a convenient and common label for things I expect people to want to know. It's anticipatory. Also you already knew that.

Q: Actually you've only written two questions so far and this is one of them.

A: That's not a question.

Q: Stop putting words in my mouth! You're the one thinking of these silly questions, not me!

A: Also not a question

Q: When are you going to write the real questions?

A: Now

Q: How did this project start?

A: I started a new Skyrim playthrough to do Legacy of the Dragonborn and a couple of in-game days in there was a moment when I thought I should make a note of something to come back to later (Embershard Mine) and that got me thinking about my character making notes (I also found a mod that lets you take notes in-game but it has usability problems and would not be useful for this) and since my character is a relic hunter I though it would be fun and improve the roleplay to actually write out in-character notes and then why not share them with SV?

Q: What's the most frustrting part of his project?

A: When I alt-tab from Skyrim to my notes, if I'm on the inventory or powers screen it switches to the other so it's wrong when I return. And worse than that, when I alt-tab from my notes back to Skyrim my notes program takes the alt press as 'put focus on the appliction menu' and then when I return to it I have to press Escape or else typing will either do nothing or activate random menu items.

Q: Will you write out all your character stats and perks regularly?

A: Probably not, it's a lot of frustrating work to type that up.

Q: What about screenshots?

A: I've taken some and should take more. I may put some on imgur to share them. The catch is that the screenshots are taken in 4K so I think I'd have to resize them.

Q: You're playing in 4K

A: Yes. I bought a laptop with a 4K screen and it's nice.

Q: Have you finished the main quest of Skyrim before?

A: Yes. More than 6 years ago. I only got back into Skyrim in recent months. The Special Edition was super cheap in a Steam Sale, bundled with FO4GOTY.

Q: What characters did you play originally?

A: A male Breton mage who became the Archmage, was a werewolf for a little while, and finished the main storyline. Then a female PUNCHCAT (unarmed Khajiit) who became a vampire, then a vampire lord, then I never got around to finishing that DLC.

Q: What are the mercenaries' names?

A: Mercenary Pyromancer and Mercenary Ranger. I think there's a mod that lets you give NPCs more unique names but I haven't tried it out. So I'm rp-ing as they chose to remain anonymous. Which is fair, given their occuption.

Q: Why ae there typos?

: Jen hs bd handwriting. Though it's good for someone often writing in the drk between bouts of fleeing from drugr or sbercts. lso the key on my keybord hs problem nd doesn't lwys register unless I push it more intentionlly. Tht's sometimes problem in gme when ttempting to move left.

Q: How often will you update?

A: Dunno but I like to play a lot and now I'm always logging as I play, so I'll post when I reach sensible milestones. Maybe every few in-game days? Depends on how active the thread is, I guess.

Q: What hardware are you running?

A: Buy Resistance VR Striker i15.6inch 4k i7-7700HQ Gaming Notebook | Notebooks | Scorptec Computers

Q: Do all the mods you're running work on console versions of Skyrim?

A: A lot don't, sorry.

Q: Is PC the master race?

A: Well actually...

Q: Are you just jelly of console exclusives?

A: *sigh*

Q: Can I suggest a mod?

A: I'm not looking to add mods mid game.

Q: I don't recognise a thing that happened in the game. What mod adds that?

A: Ask and I'll tell you if I know :p

Q: I'd like more information about options available to your character. Like, what are all the Forgotten Magic spells? What are all the new Thunderchild shouts? What perks are available? What are the shadow magic spells?

A: Just ask. But if it's just "what's in a mod" then I'll probably just link to the mod page or tell you to Google it. You can just Google it yourself or type the mod name into the skyrimspecialedition page on nexusmods.

Q: What modding tools do you use?

A: Mod Organizer 2 is the best mod organiser and it works wonders. LOOT for load order. Wyre Bash for combining conflicted levelled lists automatically and for combining some small patches together for saving space in my lod order. xEdit for running scripts that generate patches (one for the encounter zone level labels, one for Hunterborn creature taxonomy). ENB Organizer for graphics settings profiles.

Q: How do you find mods?

A: Nexus is where I look for mods. Often people will recommend mods in the comments on a mod you're using, or you can find mods that work with one you have by looking at what compatability patches have been made.

Q: What ENB presets are you using?

A: soft Depth of Field, medium rain textures, and Re-Engaged Vivid - Colour Correction Version with Night Vision compatability.

Q: Colour Correction Version? Not even the performance version? That's like, less than basic!

A: I have a laptop with decent graphics card, not an extreme graphics card. It looks great as it is and don't impact framerate too much. Really it's fine.

Q: What does ENB stand for? What does it mean, and how does it work?

A: I don't remember, it does amazing graphics stuff via a dll plugin and is very configurable, and no one knows except the developer.

Q: When are your fanfics updating? I really want to read more of Term Time, Silken Black, Summer Holiday, You're Grammar, Heels Over Head, and that Mass Effect fic that you never made a thread for.

A: Could happen any time.

Q: That's a shameless plug, and a tease.

A: That is not a question.

Q: No, it isn't.

A: Indeed.

Q: Teal'c?

A: Jaffa kree!

Q: What about the original fiction you've purportedly been writing.

A: Still working on it. Not at this exact moment though. Because I'm writing this Q&A

Q: Why didn't you call it a Q&A from the start rather than a FAQ? Or is it 'an FAQ'?

A: I dunno.

Q: Which question is that an answer to?

A: Yes.

Q: You're not Wildbow.

A: True.

Q: Speaking of. How *good* is Ward?

A: IKR! But that's off topic.

Q: How's your health?

A: Over two years cancer free confirmed! Completely in the clear. Also off topic.

Q: You brought it up, because you're the one writing the questions.

A: I'm you! Bwahahahahaha!

Q: What if I have a legitimate question?

A: Ask it. Who knows, it might get added to this list.

Q: What bugs/glitches have you encountered so far?

A: There was a rock in front of the door to the Dragonborn Gallery. A patch ought to have fixed that? I manually disabled it in the console. Also a fern beside the Solitude gate was glitching out majorly, with it's texture popping in and out and killing my framerate intermittently, based on the direction I was looking at it. So I disabled that too. Weird. Also the game's spontaneously crashed to desktop two or three times. Which isn't all that many for the number of hours I've played. (This is written before continuing after the first chapter.)

Also sometimes the inventory menu glitches out and scrolls itself down the page so the top of this list isn't actually at the top.

Q: What text editor are you using.

A: Notepad++. I really like it. More than the editors I tried out on Linux.

Q: Wait, are you using.... *Windows 10*?????? Bu

A: Yeah it came with my laptop and it's not so bad if you disable everything including completely removing Cortana via regedit and install classic shell.

Q: But what about <software developer stuff>?

A: WSL works surprisingly well. There's VMs if necessary. But I don't think I'll dual boot, cos rebooting is too inconvenient.

Q: Can you avoid going off topic?

A: Seems not.

Q: Can I talk about anim~

NO

Q: Why are you writing silly questions instead of posting this and getting back to your game or doing something productive?

A: Uh.

Q: Should I play videogames instead of doing literally anything to better myself and the world around me?

A: No.

Q: Then why are you...

A: Just enjoy the story okay?

Q: Isn't Jen kinda racist?

A: You know how bigoted all those High Elves are...

Q: Your sense of humour is bad and you should feel bad.

A: That's not a question.

Q: Why don't you use the proper American spelling of words?

A: Not American.

Q: But sometimes you do write 'armor'.

A: If it's in the name of a mod I generally use the way it's officilly spelled, though I can't promise I'm consistent.

Q: You didn't point out that that wasn't a question.

A: Wasn't it?

Last edited:
Drunken Moons, Silent Huntsman
# 25 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 9:00 AM
Sold most of my flowers to a travelling apothecary. Saved some to make tea when I have the chance.

## 9:40 AM
Whiterun is in sight. The rain has passed. I was considering exploring a cave in order to wait out the rain, but now I think I should head to Silent Moons Camp. But should I approach it from the south or the east? I think I'd rather hold off on heading north until I must, due to the cold. Especially given that I'm not entirely dry.

## 10:18 AM
Caught up with four travelling Khajiit as we passed a watchtowr south of Whiterun. I engaged one in converstion. Her name is Khayla. She offered to pass on some tips and techniques to help me be more stealthy. I feel sneakier already! Paid her well.

I see another of those wayshrines on the other side of the road. I'll take a look and note the location.

## 10:28 AM
The architecture of these wayshrines is amazing. Also found a dead necromancer. His robes should be worth selling on. There's a rhinoceros nearby. That explains the dead necromancer.

## 10:37 AM
The camp is due north but a giant has a campfire directly in the way. Also mammoths. I think I remember running into them the other night. Yes, I see I made a somewhat sleep-deprived note of that. I shall leave them alone.

## 11:00 AM
On the way to inspect an ancient monument (only a slight detour) I spotted a wolf. I one-shot it with my new fireblast spell! Who's the pyromancer now?

Sorry Pyro, you're the true master of fire. I just dabble.

Speaking of wolves, I really better do something about the carcasses soon. Maybe just sell them. Once I figure out how to summon a knife there will be more wolves to kill, I'm cert~

## 11:30 AM
Would you rather be attacked by a dragon or a bear?

I would rather be attacked by a dragon or a bear. That would have been much preferrable to being attacked by a dragon *and* a bear! Actually the bear was the more immediately dangerous foe. I barely survived it, but Pyro took it down with some help from Ranger. Now catching my breath before we deal with this dragon.

Yes, we're fighting a dragon.

It's only a small dragon.

## 12:22 PM
I would rather be attacked by a dragon and a bear. That would have been much more preferrable to being attacked by a dragon, a bear, a dozen bandits. They're not even bandits from Silent Moons Camp!

At least the dragon is fighting the bandits too.

I've lost track of the mercenaries. I had to vacate the area to avoid being surrounded.

Using fireblast was alright against the dragon. It's slow moving and I get time to let my magicka replenish. But with a dozen bandits moving around I keep missing and I easily exhaust my reserves. So this is what real magical combat is like. Manged to gulp down a powerful magicka restorative which I swiped from that conjurer. So that's what magicka potions taste like. What's in these and can the ingredients be... improved upon? I'm no alchemist but... Anyhow I had better move on before the dragon or the bandits find me. Also I can hear a nirnroot humming and it's really annoying.

## 12:30 PM
I'm trying to reach Whiterun to get help. The dragon followed me some of the way, then broke off the fight the giant! Haha.

## 12:55 PM
Saw a hunter and a fire wizard. They pretended not to see me. The giant is alive in the distance and there's no sign of the dragon. Can I hope?

## 1:10 PM
Spotted the dragon on the ground in front of Silent Moons Camp. Shot some fireblasts at it. It's a long way to throw a blast of fire accurately, but I hit it! It moved a little. Not sure whether it's alive or if that was the fireblast moving it. Or it could be playing dead. I don't know much about dragons. Except how to say 'force'. Hypothetically.

## 1:20 PM
It's definitely dead. Some of the bandits yet live.

## 1:40 PM
Many bandits. They're in a scrap with some mudcrabs and wolves. I'm worried about my mercenaries.

Nope, there's Ranger, putting some arrows where they belong. I should try to help.

## 1:54 PM
I tried to get slightly involved and ended up having to flee four of five assorted bandits. Ran back towards Whiterun again and was fortunate enough to meet up with Pyro! We can do this.

## 2:27 PM
Where are Whiterun's guards when I need them? I had to take refuge from a orsimer bandit thug warrior on top of a wall. Wore him down with sparks and then the travelling apothecary finished him off. Glad I sold him those flowers earlier.

## 3:20 PM
Back on my wall. Another dozen bandits tried swarming me, but they couldn't get to me. Except they had pyromancers of their own. I just kept healing with one hand and flinging sparks with the other. I took out the mages before they could knock me down or burn me up. Falling off the wall would have been the end of me. The last few bandit fighters got the message and moved out of range of my sparks. They weren't expecting fireblasts! And then Pyro and Ranger caught up to me. I think we can win this.

## 4:40 PM
These bandits have nothing on us! We had to chase the last few down. They thought they could outnumber us but we struck them down with fire right before they could reach us. When I got low on magicka for fireblasts I got a weaker bandit with fury. That turned out poorly, for him. Anoriath, the hunter from earlier, showed up and helped a little too. And I found a slightly superior leather helmet. Score!

Now we can check out the camp. I wonder how many bandits are left there. I think we drew most of them out.

## 5:07 PM
The bandits left a sentry. I turned him against his allies. Just a few left... wait is that a Dwemeri mechanical spider?

That was easily taken care of, but we couldn't safely inspect the site until we'd cleared out the couple of remaining bandits from the close-by Halted Stream Camp. Why is there no bounty on any of these bandit camps so close to the city?

## 6:44 PM
Found some leather armour that's every bit as good as my cuirass, and it's warmer with better seams. Doesn't look as good though. My mercenaries agree. Definitely keeping my Relic Hunter outfit for official business but may upgrade for travelling in the cold.

We're worn out and the light is fading, so we shall spend the night in the now clear camp, once we drag the bodies away.

## 7:20 PM
No decent beds, no decent cooking pot. But I did spot the entrance to a mine. There were more bandits inside. Once conjured us a face full of flame atronach, but some sparks took care of him very quickly. Actually I think it was mostly the boulder trap I triggered, but which he was in the path of.

## 7:44 PM
Gave Ranger my old helmet and the new armour, for now. It's nearly cold enough for the difference to matter. She didn't even have a helmet!

Collected quite a lot of iron ore. I remember a notice stating that the smith in Solitude needs some for a project.

## 8:21 PM
Turns out the bandit leader was hiding down in the mine. By Julianos he was tough! So much running in circles so I could hit him with sparks without being split open by a steel warhammer, while giving my mercenaries a chance to recover. We got him in the end, and I feel stronger for it. Stronger in the 'larger mana pool' sense.

I've noticed a lot of the bandits have silver swords. What's up with that? Are they afraid of werewolves? That's sensible. Except they're all dead.

I hope there's not a metal that relic hunters are vulnerable to.

Oh. All of them.

A thought: what if I cast the same destruction spell with both hands at the same time? Synergy between the magicka streams should make them stronger. And drain more mana, unless I balanced it just right. Which I can only do for spells meant for complete novices. But still, stronger sparks will be nice. Fireblasts... will eat up my magicka very quickly, but that doesn't matter on things I can kill in one hit.

Now to find a semi-comfortable place to sleep.

Found a book giving a brief history of the Empire. Volume I. That doesn't sound brief. Also the bandits had plenty of supplies including booze. And a rather unique looking poacher's axe. I had to get Pyro to carry it because of all this ore I picked up. I need a better backpack so I can handle weight more effectively. Maybe magic can help with that.

## 9:05 PM
Found a gold planter and a rather nice painting. I doubt the bandits truly appreciated either. And they have volume II of the previously mentioned history. Also a book about a cake and a diamond. No, not an actual diamond, that's in the book too. And there's another one here about the Ransom of Zarek and part of the biography of Barenziah. Seriously, volume III again? What is this?

Also got my hands on an Amulet of Julanos! I've been wanting one for years! I'm putting this on right away. I can already feel my magicka pool growing a little larger. Perfect.

There's a rather comfortable bed down here! I'll catch some sleep as soon as I've looked at this Report of the Imperial Commision on the Disaster at Ionith.

# 26 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 7:30 AM
Finally a decent night's sleep at reasonable hours with no interruptions! I got that knife conjuring spell all figured out, finally! And my skill with the other schools of magic has grown. I also had a new idea for fire spell. I think pyromancy is on my brain!

I wonder whether I can actually conjure anything. I've never tried it. Theoretically it should work. Now that we've all had plenty to eat and drink, I'll give it a go.

## 8:46 PM
That took a long time but I learned a lot! Wasn't there something else I planned to do today?

Relic hunting! I spent the enirety of the daylight hours in this mine, rather than inspecting the ancient site. Though it is called Silent *Moons* Camp so perhaps that implies a night job

## 9:02 PM
There was a shortcut out of the mine. Almost died to *three* traps. But I live on. Also the 'shortcut' goes to the bottom of a pit full of spikes and bodies. And I can hear some bandits up top. *Sigh*

## 10:40 PM
Found some coin and an adventuring book in the murder pit. When we returned tothe mine it was unexpectedly occupied by hired thugs. Very strong and tough men. We dodged past them and they ended up chasing me around the countriside for over an hour. I was pretty badly hurt but theu sucummbed in the end.

I'm going back to bed.

# 27 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 6:36 AM
A noise woke me up, but nothing is attacking us. Except thirst: had to find some mead for Ranger.

## 7:18 AM
New bandits outside. Not too tougth but some were archers. Double-handing sparks doesn't work when I need to heal. Tried hitting one with fury but she kept rolling out of the way and by the time I hit her there was no one on her side left near enough for her to attack. Oh well, it was worth a try.

We filled our waterskins, which had run empty. I couldn't carry mine when full. Gave Ranger a ridiculous amount of iron ore to carry. Much better! It's probably more worthwhile to be taking more armour from the bandits we've slain. But who wants armour from dead people? It didn't do the previous owners any good. Plus this way we help keep the local smiths in business. Getting on the wrong side of smiths is... regrettable. I have stories...

## 11:20 AM
Found a dead wolf. Skinned, harvested, and butchered it. Not a bad job. But now the ruin is calling me and nothing will get in the way of Jen the Relic Hunter!

## 11:51 AM
The lunar forge is amazing! Marvelous! Not sure how practical the results are. Enchantments that only work under the light of the moons? I suppose it would be worth it to have enchantments that are stronger during that time. But it's somewhat restrictive. If a fight went too long... goodnight!

Found a couple of books about smithing, but I don't see any point in reading them. Not my field at all. I also have a book to read some time which is about bandits. One of the bandits had it. Why would a bandit need a book of bandits?

## 12:53 PM
Entered the ancient ruin. Somehow an orc sneaked up on me! Barely avoided being skewered. There were a few other bandits in here but none were especially tough. Now to look for... relics!

## 1:15 PM
Got surprised by one final (we hope) bandit. I got stuck between a support beam and a barrel for most of the fight, and accidentally hit Ranger with a *tiny* spark. Stopped before I did any damage. This bandit has a silver sword too. Pretty sure this bunch have a thing about werewolves. We should be on our guard.

A rather tricky lock stands in my way. Someone's bound to have a key to it. Time to search the bodies.

## 1:43 PM
No keys here, only grilled chicken. I mean actual chicken, though that orc is grilled too.

## 2:40 PM
I will not be stopped! Looked outside and noticed there's a locked area with a trapdoor. The entrance gate only opens via a pull-chain on the inside. But as this is a ruin and not modern construction, I was able to scale the rocks and drop in from above. Because I'm Aldmeri Jen, Acrobatic Archaelologist!

I'd better let my mercenaries in. I can't carry this lunar mace myself. Or that snowberry vase.

## 3:02 PM
It's Denstagmer's Ring! It protects against fire, frost, and lightning damage! Only 30% though. Still, it's a great find. Though I haven't met any draugr who spit lightning yet.

I really hope I don't. I'm glad there were none in this ruin. I'll be glad to never meet one again. Alright, time to offload and regroup! We'll definitely be back in Whiterun in time for a hearty meal at the inn.

## 3:38 PM
Used some mudcrabs for fireblast target practice. Actually I'm find at targetting. It's the casting that I'm practicing. Asked Pyro to carry one of the bodies for me. No time to dress it now.

## 3:51 PM
Cross paths with Aroniath. He's hunting rabbits. Did I mention that he's Bosmer?

## 4:10 PM
Entered Whiterun just as the blacksmith was leaving. She reminded me that her father's a steward. Sure. At least she reminded me to check inside the shop.

## 4:20 PM
Ulfberth War-Bear is an impressive man. He said I've definitely come to the right place. I think he hoped to sell something to me. Talked him into buying

Janessa was in the shop too. Decided I could use another hand. Hired her but sent her ahead to Solitude so she doesn't pester me for more money.

## 4:42 PM
Spotted a hunter exiting an inn named The Drunken Huntsman. I had somehow missed it when I came by before. We shall dine there tonight. First, we have more items to sell.

I took a look at the missive board. Three people want wepons delivered. I don't know where I'm going next so I can't sign up to be a courier. But a couple of people want lost heirlooms retrieved. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Hold up... Camilla is missing a golden necklace? That family loses a lot of valuables. And the other job is for... Lucan? You've got to be kidding me. And it's a heavy shield. Operative word *heavy*. Glad I hired Janessa. But I'm starting to suspect something deeper going on. Inurance fraud?

## 6:15 PM
Belethor is a ridiculously enthusiastic salesman. I was a little delayed reaching his store, as I got caught up discussion magical theory with a priestess of Kynareth, Danica Pure-Spring. She had some potentially useful insights. Regardless I reached the store in time and offloaded most of what I wanted to sell. Belethor was surprisingly low on coin, so he traded me a few books I want to read, plus a spellbook that teaches some magic which might help soothe me out in the cold. It's hard to decided what I should try to learn to cast next.

I shall consider the matter over a hearty meal.

## 6:27 PM
Anoriath is here.

## 6:50 PM

Elrindir told me a funny story about how he and his brother thought of the name 'Drunken Huntsman' for their shop.

Hehe.

'Rump'

By the way, Elrindir's brother is Anoriath.

I bought and drank some ridiculously overpriced Black-Briar Reserve Mead.

## 7:10 PM
Bought some strange bottles from the serving wench.

I think I ought to sleep before I do anything ill-advised.

## 7:31 PM
Almost purchased a flames spellbook from Elethor in the Bannered Mare but thought better of it at the last moment. Why? I feel like I'm on the verge of improving the fireblast spell.

Alright, time to sleep this off.

# 28 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 5:24 AM
Woke up early feeling well rested. Got up early to start the ride to Solitude. I think I know how to haggle a bit better after yesterday's experiences. Been thinking about a spell to deal with those undead, in case I get sent into another draugr-den. I think I read about that in a book from one of the bandit mages I fought while perched on the wall... three days ago!

Time to find that cart driver. I want to show Auryen the Dragonstone before Farengar gets his grubby fingers on it.

## 6:29 AM
Right outside Whiterun I crossed paths with a formidable looking woman in formidable looking armour. Her name is Uthgerd the Unbroken. Somehow I accidentally challenged her to a duel. Her armour didn't help against being punched in the face. Earned myself 200 septims, and then she offered to join my adventure, for no charge! She's not Mer, but... she might be useful in a fight. So long as she wears a helmet.

## 6:36 AM
Uthgerd immediately wanted gold for supplies. She was out 100 septims so I took pity -

Ha, no I sent her on to Solitude.

## 6:43 AM
Good, Bjorlam is waiting in his wagon. I bought a few books from a travelling merchant right after I sent Uthgerd off. One's about goblins and the other is about the Aetherium Wars. Something to read on the trip.

Last edited:
Hunting Knife Problem
# OOC

I had to disable the 'require hunting knife to do skinning stuff' option because it wasn't recognising the conjured knife as a hunting knife even though the bound knife's description text says it's better than an iron hunting knife. Then I had to reload to an earlier save which unfortunately was right before sleeping. Since I'd already written about waking I had to replicate the events of learning the spell and not being interrupted form sleep. It turns out that the RNG was very generous that first time because I just couldn't replicate it. After several minutes of attempts I gave up trying and set the dungeon ambush chance to 0 (it's normally at 75%). I got the spell learning trigger on the second try, but on top of that I also got the spell discovery! So I decided to run with that. Then when I skinned the second wolf the second time I got 'lucky' and there was more to gather which meant it took a few hours longer than the first time. Originally it hadn't been dark yet. Oh well. It's tricky to save often enough but not too often. And to remember to sometimes hard-save because if you only quick-save for too long you can end up saving at a bad moment and get death-locked :p

Rainy Days to Solitude and Back, and I 'Fully Understand Something'
# 28 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 5:05 PM
Beirand the smith gave me 75 septims and a steel hatchet in return for the iron ore. He also told me that he would join the fight, if not for his wife and son. Good man. For a human. Sold him the rest of my iron ore at a far cheaper price, along with a steel hatchet which I recently acquired. He reminded me to always wear my armour.

That reminds me, I need more clothes.

## 5:13 PM
Six travelling apothecaries in matching robes are standing in front of the Bits and Pieces store. Is there an apothecary convention on? One is Altmer. I sold her some ingredients. Why did I have 83 piles of salt? The bandits had barrels of it. I also bought a cure disease potion, just in case. You can never be too careful. Ruins aren't clean, and I've already been bitten by skeevers once this week.

## 6:42 PM
Endarie at Radiant Raiment is absolutely charming. The Nords don't know what a gem they have deigning to clothe them. She's a stickler about closing time though.

I stole a fine pair of boots for Ranger.

We look quite fetching in our new outfits.

## 8:29 PM
Drying off in the safehouse. We took too long showing off our new outfits and get caught in a thunderstorm while buying supplies. Or rather, after I gave Pyro and Ranger money for supplies.

Will talk to Auryen in the morning.

I need to remember to get more waterskins for Janessa and Uthgerd.

# 29 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 6:59 AM
My confidence at bartering has grown a little. I also figured out that anti-undead spell: Divine Light. Also I've realised that it isn't an anti-unded spell but a healing spell. That is good. I need a better healing spell. However, I cannot cast it, due to my magicka efficency issue. Perhaps it is time to repurpose my magical contingency arrangement again.

Yes. If I fall under a quarter of my heath, it will automatically heal me and cast oakflesh. That's somewhat suboptimal but it will have to do. On the positive side, it can trigger once every thirty seconds.

Time to talk to Auryen. After I fill the liquor cabinet.

## 8:07 AM
Looked around the safehouse some more. Found the way into the library. I have an artifact to place on display: the Book of the Dragonborn! Rather fitting, I dare say.

## 9:06 AM
Chatted with Auryen about what goes where and how I should proceed. He gave me the location of another artifact too. The system of what goes where seems simple enough. I found a home for the biography of Barenziah. Now I need to find the other two volumes.

Found Auryen's notes on the dagger of Symmachus. That's something to look for some other time, as it's thought to be in Solstheim. Rather far out of my way at the moment.

Aha, I can make replics for display of several items that I have collected, including the dragon claw and stone. Also both enchanted rings I've collected and the hip bone the so-called 'madman' gave me.

## 11:11 AM
This place has a wine cellar! It's easy to get lost, or at least to lose track of time examining the displays.

There's also a cooking pot. I haven't cooked in a while. Time to make some more tea.

## 12:54 PM

Found out where to put these four lunar enchanted weapons, and several books. Ah, and the Poacher's Axe!

## 2:21 PM

The armory is massive! How could I ever find let alone carry enough gear to fill it? For now I've put a steel battleaxe of crushing on display.

## 4:37 PM

Neither Beirand the smith nor Salma at Bits and Pieces (his wife, in fact) have gold or quaried stone for sale. I won't be making those replicas right now. She says I have a certain fire in my eyes, like her husband. I wonder what she means by that. I don't want to join the army, nor do I have a family. She does have some books for sale though, including an interesting spell tome about hailstones. She also had the other two volumes of the biography of Barenziah on the shelf. And a jade dragon. And she wasn't watching me very carefully.

Her son Kayd insulted me though, so fair's fair.

It's raining again.

Filed more books. Read the one I bought about the standing stones. Wish I hadn't.

## 6:52 PM

I thought I saw a place to store several of these books last week, but I can't find it now. Did find the tanning rack in the safehouse. Used some of the wolf pelts to make a new waterskin. Savings! I'll turn in for the night.

# 30 Second Seed

## 6:39 AM

Figured out one of the many spells I collected in the last few days. Stormstrike is a lightning spell. It's an upgrade to my sparks like Divine Light is to my healing. Or it's the shock version of Fireblast, if you want to look at it that way. Also I'm out of food.

## 8:40 AM

It's a beautiful morning out. Met Uthgerd and Janessa in the Winking Skeever inn. Bought much food. Beirand needs more iron and moonstone ore.

There's a creepy Aragonian loitering around.

## 10:39 AM
Strolled down to the docks to help out the seller of spiced wine. Visited the Solitude Sawmill on the way. Found apples in a barrel, and mined some iron ore that Beirand needs. Also some clay which I'll want for making some replicas for display. Some of my companions got excited at a fight between a fox and some slaughterfish, though no blows were exchanged. Dull.

Vittoria Vici, the East Empire Company person (I forget her exact title, but she's in charge of tariffs and such), wasn't even at the docks as I was told. She was at home in her house in Solitude. Humans...

Remembered that Endarie gave me an outfit to wear around Jarl Elesif. I didn't. It's hideous.

## 10:49 AM

Vittoria's busy planning her wedding and won't release the wine shipmet until Evette pays a hefty tariff. I smell corruption. In any case, she wouldn't budge. She's even hinted that she might accept a payment from *me*. Not going to happen. It's not my problem.

## 11:49 AM

Wandered into the Hall of the Dead in search of a priest who might give us a free refill of water. The priest was talkative but not generous. Stuck our heads into the catacombs. Fought some skeletons. Janessa sure can fight. Flips and rolls! Skeletons didn't last long, and I got a skillbook out of it. It's for empowering a weapon, it seems. Not a priority. Also I figured out how to improve the fireblast, due to my repeated practice with it. Now it properly ignites targets!

Immediately put it to good use. More skeleton warriors!

## 12:58 PM

Paid server at inn to fill waterskins. Now we're off to... oh I didn't decide that yet, did I?

Ah, that missing necklace is at a place called Greenspring Hollow. I recognise it on my map. A sabercat attacked me there. Three more points of interest are southeast of there. I think it's best to approach it from Whiterun. And we should take tents.

## 1:17 PM

Good thing the wagon is covered, as it's raining again. I thought the Jarl of Whiterun sat around in Dragonsreach, but my driver said Dragon*search*. An odd discrepancy.

## 10:37 PM
Arrived too late to do anything but sleep.

## 11:04 PM
The nightlife of the Bannered Mare is alive and loud tonight. A bard is drumming! Ugh.

# 31 Second Seed, 4E 201

## 12:23 AM
Pyro woke me up to ask for money for 'supplies'.

## 7:39 AM
Why are we locked in??

## 8:59 AM
Spent most of my gold on destruction magic lessons. Talked for an hour about casting. The door is still locked.

## 9:01 AM
Random citizen told me it's locked for a reason. Then he went out and locked the door again behind him. What's going on?

## 9:16 AM
Hit the door with a fireblast. That unlocked it. Guards weren't too happy with me.

## 9:26 AM
Had to pay a 25 septim fine for breaking the lock. Guard confiscated my stolen goods... of which I had none. I wasn't born yesterday. The guard didn't think to check Pyro for a stolen copy of Yngol and the Sea Ghosts.

## 10:12 AM
Fought a wooly rhino to practice my fireblast. It ran away at the and but I dealt the final blow with the last of mana.

## 1:57 PM
Wolf. Learned a lot skinning it. About skinning, that is.

## 4:06 PM
Filled waterskins at a stream. A wolf almost attacked but changed its mind. Skinned it anyway.

Mercenaries kept complaining about a lack of water and not filling their waterskins. Turns out they'd stashed them where they couldn't find them. And I keep paying them gold to buy more drinks!

## 4:56 PM
We fought and killed some large spiders. From observing my companions I learned a bit more about one-handed fighting techniques. I'll stick to using fireblasts for now.

I spy a dragon hunched on the ground not all that far away. Perhaps it's time to see how well the five of us fight as a team.

## 5:18 PM

It's a firebreathing dragon. Perhaps firebolts aren't the most effective thing against it.

It's also about twice the size of the other one we fought.

## 6:09 PM
We're wearing it down very gradually. Also I had to save Uthgerd from a sabercat. Divine Light saved *me* from the sabercat.

## 7:19 PM
Divine Light saved me from being utterly cooked by the dragon, and that wouldn't have been enough if I wasn't already healing as well as I could. Hiding behind rocks now.

Hiding again. Been hitting it with Stormstrike so much that I've figured out a clever trick to take advantage of the charged atmosphere to reduce the cost of any electical spells by a quarter. But only for eight seconds after casting it. It practice it's less useful than it sounds, because it is the only electrical spell I know that costs me any mana to cast. But it's not nothing.

## 7:52 PM
Came within a hair of dying. It broke my chest with a blast of fire breath. Some frantic healing later and I can barely breathe again. The dragon's not in good shape either but that doesn't make it less deadly.

It's dark now and we're tired. It can get darker.

We didn't buy tents. I blame the man who locked the inn.

Why was the inn locked?

## 8:27 PM
We did it! I took the risk of double-handing Stormstrike for hopefully massive damage. That didn't finish it off but it didn't last very long after that, and I managed to get to safety and heal before it could retaliate.

Why is the dragon... burning up?

## 8:48 PM
Did it just...

Did I just...

I didn't have much time to think about what happened because bandits and skeletons attacked moments after. Surely they watched us kill the dragon. Did they think we'd be easy, weak targets? Can they not recognise the characteristic colour of restoration spells?

WELL FUS THAT!

I'm the Dragonborn, Bandits!

Funny how that turned out. Auryen said he'd make museum displays about my exploits, but that was the exploits of Aldmeri Jen, Relic Hunter and Acrobat Archaelologist. Now it looks like the whole place was devoted to me all along.

I'm so happy I could...

## 11:08 PM
Skinned the sabercat.

# 1st of Mid Year, or the day after I ABSORBED a DRAGON'S SOUL

## 4:25 AM
Tried butchering the dragon. Taking longer than expected. Cold and desperately need to sleep.

## 5:12 AM
Running back to Whiterun. Too cold to cast my better spells. My companions took out some mudcrabs we ran into in the dark. They want drinks. They can have drinks when we get to Whiterun.

## 7:39 AM
Grabbed 2 hours sleep in the tent by the wagon. Feeling just a bit better. Did figure out that soothes spell though, and I sorted out some more of my issues with restoration magic. Surprised at that, given the circumstances.

## 3:43 PM
Got some more sleep in the Bannered Mare. Tried some experimental cooking. Dragon meat cooks up well in Nord Mead.

Very low on money. Will have to sell most of these dragon bits.

I have a feeling there's more where that came from.

The Bannered Mare has a cellar. I don't have time to explore it now.

## 4:27 PM
The priest of Arkay is out. Still got a blessing but will have to fill up waterskins ourselves. Then I'll give Farengar the Dragonstone. I can make a replica later. I have a vested interest in him figuring out the dreagons now. Before they were just a nuissance but now... there's a connection.

Did I feel a connection to the dragons before? Is that why I was surprisingly eager to fight them?

Oh, there's Andurs now. Water, please!

## 5:00 PM
Took the wrong door and ended up in the catacombs. Fought some skeletons. I got to Fus a skeleton mage! Got some good loot including some aged steel plate armour (inferior to Uthgerd's) to sell.

## 5:15 PM
Farengar is occupied in conversation with... that's Delphine from the inn in Riverwood! Hmm. They're studying old texts. Is she his secret source?

I think I have to get to know Delphine now that I know we have common interests. She may be a valuable resource.

## 5:21 PM
Farengar has many leatherbound books.

Did Delphine just mention "her employers"? Mysterious.

## 5:39 PM
He's got only volume III of both Barenziah series. What an odd fellow!

Sounds like he knows about Delphine's employers. Maybe it's not a deep conspiracy... or else he's part of it.

Delphine noticed me. Farengar noticed that I didn't die.

## 5:55 PM
Yes, Delphine was Farengar's source. And she wants a copy of the Dragonstone once he's decyphered it. Yes! My future new best friend.

Farengar's pleased to have to stone, and I'm glad to have achieve something. I sense my magicka pool becoming better aligned. And I had another epiphany, similar to my charged atmosphere trick. I think I can cast some destruction spells cheaper in certain weather conditions. Like lightning spells in the rain. It just so happens to be raining right now. I should go and test it...

Did that Dunmer say a *dragon* has been sighted nearby? Ooooh!

## 5:28 PM
Irileth's armour is so shiny. I need some like it for dislay.

The Jarl seems to think it's an achievement that I "survived Helgen". I think he's been misinformed. I've achieved and survived a lot this week but Helgen was just a stroll in the forest. After it burned down.

In any case were going to fight this dragon, with extra support this time. I'm not going to mention that we just got back from fighting one. Though if the merchant talks, everyone will find out that I was selling dragon parts earlier this afternoon. In any case, the Jarl gave me some hide braces enchanted to recharge enchanted weapons. A nice display piece if nothing else.

That can wait. Dragon time now. I should probably get someone to hold on to all these books. A couple in particular I need to look into more carefully, as they mention ancient artfacts of great power, which will be great for my museum and/or personal use.

What? Farengar didn't have his name written on them!

Thread Ending, Story Restarting, Future Plans?
Due to making some significant mod changes to fix some issues and add content, I'll definitely be starting this over. I'm thinking of making it a bit more interactive than just getting people to read logs and being vaguely open to suggestions. What to people think of this restarting as a quest? It'd still be my game but with future plans and options put out to StrawPoll. That way, readers can have some official input into quests taken, followers chosen, magic studied, and such. Thoughts?

Please?

edit: the main problems with my old setup are:
1. A lighting mod problem causes instant crash when I try to enter Dragonsreach and some other locations. Switched from ELE to RLO to fix it. I've encountered that before but I was hoping it hadn't persisted. (Having both ELE and RLO also fixes the problem but they have other conflicts and it ends up being far too dark in many indoor locations, as my character alluded when I visited Dragonsreach with both mods enabled.)

2. The big issue is Open Cities. It was preventing Amazing Follower Tweaks' outfit changing system from detecting when were were in a city. Also once it caused some really weird glitches when we took a cart to Whiterun, which involved weird textures and the exit door from the Bannered Mare being locked. Yeah, that's why that happened. I think removing Open Cities mid-game would break a lot of stuff.

3. I wanted to add more quest mods that work with Legacy of the Dragonborn, so I did. Getting LotD to register this mid-game is sorta tricky. Safer to start over.

4. Decided to switch from Advanced Follower Tweaks to Immersive Advanced Follower Tweaks and that's also better done with a new save. (I also tried adding a mod to give unique names to all NPCs but renaming them prevents AFT or iAFT from managing added NPCs which were the exact ones I wanted to be both renamed and followers. Pity.)

5. Also I'm now using Mator Smash which should do a better job of getting mods to override each other the best way. (I had to do a bit of fiddling to make sure some quest-condition-altering mods don't get broken. I think it worked.) Such a large change to my mod setup could break things, better not to find out.

Will post a link to the quest when I start it.
edit here The Journal of Aldmeri Jen, Combat Archaeologist (Skyrim) - Fantasy
/thread

Last edited:
Back