The Onion Reviews: The Last Jedi

Baron Ouroboros

Emerald Leaves and Crimson Petals
Pronouns
He/Him
Truthfully, the discussion of the Last Jedi was extensive and largely divisive, and in some cases just stupid. But I've found this, which subverts earlier narratives with a largely unique take on The Last Jedi.

What do you think about this interpretation?

As per the Onion's standards, it's a remarkably 'aight satire that manages to evoke a chuckle without providing any deeper understanding of the subject. 6/10, would be better if they stuck with the meme and made a decent length video with this premise.

As per the Onion's standards, it's a remarkably 'aight satire that manages to evoke a chuckle without providing any deeper understanding of the subject. 6/10, would be better if they stuck with the meme and made a decent length video with this premise.
I suppose that's a fair criticism, but I disagree; it's really, very, funny. As for deeper understanding, it clearly filters Star Wars through a certain sort of Christian theology, which is a rather easy task given the structure of the Star Wars narrative (hero's journey and religiously inspired themes). But yeah, it would be better as a full length video, though again, I find this quite adequate by itself.

I suppose that's a fair criticism, but I disagree; it's really, very, funny. As for deeper understanding, it clearly filters Star Wars through a certain sort of Christian theology, which is a rather easy task given the structure of the Star Wars narrative (hero's journey and religiously inspired themes). But yeah, it would be better as a full length video, though again, I find this quite adequate by itself.
Well that's why I'm actually unimpressed with it, because it didn't actually in any way make any such direct commentary, instead just doing a "oh look at me, I'm comparing one somewhat controversial thing to another, even more controversial thing, aren't I clever?"
6/10, ok mediocrity.

Well that's why I'm actually unimpressed with it, because it didn't actually in any way make any such direct commentary, instead just doing a "oh look at me, I'm comparing one somewhat controversial thing to another, even more controversial thing, aren't I clever?"
6/10, ok mediocrity.

None of The Onion's movie reviews attempt a direct commentary on the film in question. They're all about Peter Rosenthal going wildly off-topic and/or profoundly misunderstanding the point of the film. One of the Hobbit reviews mostly consisted of him talking about his (fake) unpublished fantasy novel, and the Spider-Man: Homecoming review was all about him comparing it to Lolita. If absurdist humor isn't your thing I'm sure it's not that funny, but the point of their review isn't to say anything meaningful about the film in question.

None of The Onion's movie reviews attempt a direct commentary on the film in question. They're all about Peter Rosenthal going wildly off-topic and/or profoundly misunderstanding the point of the film. One of the Hobbit reviews mostly consisted of him talking about his (fake) unpublished fantasy novel, and the Spider-Man: Homecoming review was all about him comparing it to Lolita. If absurdist humor isn't your thing I'm sure it's not that funny, but the point of their review isn't to say anything meaningful about the film in question.
Yeah, but there's more to absurdist humor than shock value, again, The Onion's good for a brief chuckle but it usually fails to extend the humour beyond the initial shock.

Yeah, but there's more to absurdist humor than shock value, again, The Onion's good for a brief chuckle but it usually fails to extend the humour beyond the initial shock.
I don't think it's going for shock value though. Mostly just "watch this guy wildly misinterpret Star Wars in an amusing manner".

I don't know they're articles on Israel were pretty shocking and certainly lasted a long time

Back