@Whatmesage
Yes, What, this(Bluettes) Of COURSE includes Lind-cha...eh, LIND-SAMA- EHM, LIND-SAN by now...
(You sure you don't play as a nicer, much friendlier Amora the Enchantress?)
Lind-chan is fine :p

Yes, I am entirely sure. Blame the differences on my throwing Nemissa over my shoulder the first day of the re-reset, and the subsequent activities. It was quite a boost to Lind's confidence.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I simply cannot into MTG. Or any card game of that type for that matter. Like YGO or whatever. They have so many rules and regulations that I almost always blank them out on account of being unable to grasp them. I like my magic systems relatively simple and finding simple loopholes to break the rules is the kind of thing I like to do. So please don't get angry if I forget something like that. It's a thing and I'm sorry, but fancy rule-based card games are my Kryptonite.

*gasps for air and collapses in a wet splat as someone puts a MTG card in my presence*

Anyway, you can teleport, but there are anti-teleport mechanics that can block 'em, but there's a loophole in that summoning does not, strictly speaking, fall under teleport and thus can be bypassed. It's closer to shoving someone through a portal. So even though you can't teleport, you can summon (I personally like the Kuchiyose no Jutsu) to bypass it and WTF your enemies.

And there's probably ways to block that, but that'll take something on the order of divine-level lolnoping. Or DRAMA. Magic can be finicky like that.
Well, ok, I might have made it clearer that I was trying summoning back there, but at the same time... I need to ask you what are your goals for this game, because there are alot of good parts, but you seem to throw in more for the heck of it. :p

Also, yeah, mtg is hard, I have been working on easier none card rules when I can, but let me just put this here.
I use blue mana, I am a blue mtg mage.

You can out out trick an Blue mage, you can not out answer a blue mage, I am pretty sure I have ways to block people from summoning already.

Also, all MTG is is finding loop holes via other cards to get around there defenses, or loopholes to stop them from acting in ways they dont want you too, or loopholes to gain the tempo you need to get your stuff out there faster then the enemy can deal with them.

Also, all MTG is is finding loop holes via other cards to get around there defenses, or loopholes to stop them from acting in ways they dont want you too, or loopholes to gain the tempo you need to get your stuff out there faster then the enemy can deal with them.
So, in other words, playing Magic: The Gathering is best way to practice being a lawyer?

Anyway, you can teleport, but there are anti-teleport mechanics that can block 'em, but there's a loophole in that summoning does not, strictly speaking, fall under teleport and thus can be bypassed. It's closer to shoving someone through a portal. So even though you can't teleport, you can summon (I personally like the Kuchiyose no Jutsu) to bypass it and WTF your enemies.

And there's probably ways to block that, but that'll take something on the order of divine-level lolnoping. Or DRAMA. Magic can be finicky like that.

Hmm... can the Infernals enter or manipulate the Blind Eternities? IF not, the can not close them of by definition, no way, John, because they, oh, like the Underlying layer of reality, if I understand correctly? And cutting that off... well, then we would have bigger pronlems than summoning barriers.

Quite, I see...
Anyhow, the throwing over the shoulder would be Makotos part, were she not so shy/insecure...
Logging off now, having flesh-and-blood GMing duties pressed upon me...ja ne.

So by your definitions John, wormholes don't count as teleportation.

Last edited:
Since the whole expansion idea will only come after the current arc's complete, @John Masaki : how much longer d'ya think this arc will last? Since we seem to be at the finishing stages right now.

Since the whole expansion idea will only come after the current arc's complete, @John Masaki : how much longer d'ya think this arc will last? Since we seem to be at the finishing stages right now.
Well, I know a bit about what's incoming thanks to PMs with JoMa.
IC, we probably have several months at least before the arc ends. JoMa's stated he wants to keep things a bit lower level for bit though, if I remember correctly.

Well, I know a bit about what's incoming thanks to PMs with JoMa.
IC, we probably have several months at least before the arc ends. JoMa's stated he wants to keep things a bit lower level for bit though, if I remember correctly.
Alright, thanks for the info.

Well, that's enough time to get what I need done, in the interim.

Hmm... can the Infernals enter or manipulate the Blind Eternities? IF not, the can not close them of by definition, no way, John, because they, oh, like the Underlying layer of reality, if I understand correctly? And cutting that off... well, then we would have bigger pronlems than summoning barriers.
The Blind Eternities are not a sub-dimension or similar. The Eternities are the storm of raw entropy, Æther, and chaos in which all universes (planes) float around in. Falling into the Eternities without proper defenses is suicide, but most of the time that doesn't matter because normal people can't fall into them in the first place!

Don't get me wrong, it's possible for a non-'walker to enter the Eternities, it's just unreasonably difficult unless you're hitching a ride with a 'walker.
So, in other words, playing Magic: The Gathering is best way to practice being a lawyer?
In theory. If both players are playing five-color, with hundreds of cards in their hands and infinite mana through a game mechanics loop.

In reality, professional blue decks only have 6-8 counterspells in a deck, with fewer if you're just splashing. Unless you happen to be playing 26counterspell.dec, in which case you're an evil sadist who deserves being punched as hard as the guy who Twincasts Sharazhad with a Hive Mind in play.

In fluff, a 'walker's duel involves hurling dozens of spells and summons of every kind and color every second at the other guy while countering or 'walk-dodging or killing his stuff. And then hoping you've got a way of perma-killing the other guy, because blasting the 'walker's physical form off the plane isn't usually enough to kill them.

@John Masaki, a fluff breakdown of Magic's magic system coming soon. Or in ten-eleven hours. Depends on what happens.

The Blind Eternities are not a sub-dimension or similar. The Eternities are the storm of raw entropy, Æther, and chaos in which all universes (planes) float around in. Falling into the Eternities without proper defenses is suicide, but most of the time that doesn't matter because normal people can't fall into them in the first place!

Don't get me wrong, it's possible for a non-'walker to enter the Eternities, it's just unreasonably difficult unless you're hitching a ride with a 'walker.

In theory. If both players are playing five-color, with hundreds of cards in their hands and infinite mana through a game mechanics loop.

In reality, professional blue decks only have 6-8 counterspells in a deck, with fewer if you're just splashing. Unless you happen to be playing 26counterspell.dec, in which case you're an evil sadist who deserves being punched as hard as the guy who Twincasts Sharazhad with a Hive Mind in play.

In fluff, a 'walker's duel involves hurling dozens of spells and summons of every kind and color every second at the other guy while countering or 'walk-dodging or killing his stuff. And then hoping you've got a way of perma-killing the other guy, because blasting the 'walker's physical form off the plane isn't usually enough to kill them.

@John Masaki, a fluff breakdown of Magic's magic system coming soon. Or in ten-eleven hours. Depends on what happens.
Here is the thing though, right now... I just have the spells I know, the spells I can make, and the ammount of mana I have.
As Niv mizzet, that is a fuckton.

(Limiting myself to only being able to us off color uncommon spells if I dont know them from ravinca, and there not in my colors.

All right, comes from not consulting the original sources and relying on(uninformed) hearsay and second-hand fanfiction. Still the same problem for Lucifers merry band - they can't enter it, they can't manipulate it, they can do nothing.
John? What is teleportation in this game anyhow , or how are anti-teleportation barriers supposed to work? Inquiring mind wants to know....

Information: On Magic
So by your definitions John, wormholes don't count as teleportation.

All right, comes from not consulting the original sources and relying on(uninformed) hearsay and second-hand fanfiction. Still the same problem for Lucifers merry band - they can't enter it, they can't manipulate it, they can do nothing.
John? What is teleportation in this game anyhow , or how are anti-teleportation barriers supposed to work? Inquiring mind wants to know....

It's a bit confusing, yes. But the way the magic works, teleportation is essentially popping from one place to another at will, sometimes accompanied by a fancy noise or flash of light. Wormholes are not, strictly speaking, teleportation, even though by scientific consensus it is, because you're not deliberately popping, but twisting spacetime to get to where you want to go. It's basically the difference between, say, Apparation and Portkeys. One wills you where you want to go, the other creates a wormhole to where you want to go. As far as anti-teleport wards go, the standard issue one you have captured will block teleports, but won't block wormholes. The stronger ones, like the one defending the major regions of the Infernal Realms, will block both. There's nothing in the arsenal of the Infernal Realms that can block a Summoning as that is considered a deeper magic than the other two.

Oh, and you now have a scientifically accurate reasoning why Danketsu breached that shield. It was a wormhole, not a teleport, even though the terminology is more or less interchangeable. The Infernal Realms won't make that same mistake twice, and will certainly take steps to block both ways.

Summoning is a third route to getting where you want to go. If I have to scientifically analyse it, it's likely to be a form of quantum tunneling, a sliding between dimensions instead of breaching them in some way. It may look like teleportation at first, but it's completely different, and it's pretty much impossible to block because quantum stuff is just that weird.

To be completely fair, by layman's standards, it doesn't matter, but magic is rather pedantic like that. *sigh*

Well, ok, I might have made it clearer that I was trying summoning back there, but at the same time... I need to ask you what are your goals for this game, because there are alot of good parts, but you seem to throw in more for the heck of it. :p
My #1 goal is to have fun and to spread the fun around to every one of y'all. No more, no less.

#2, is to create an original Big Bad for that book I'm trying to write. The Infernal Realms is kinda a proof-of-concept, a sketch of what I'd like my enemy to be. Though of course, with all the popular culture stuff thrown out and something original thrown in.

At the very least, the three types of magic that the Heavenly, Mortal and Infernal Realms use are original, though the spells and systems (currently) aren't. For reference, they are:

The Art of Mind: This is the standard psychic power of psychics and mediums everywhere. It covers all techniques that originate from the mind, from psychokinesis to clairvoyance. Most humans who gain power will gain this kind of power.

The Art of Body: This is essentially chi/ki/chakra/etc. Techniques created by the body's power to manipulate the environment. Most magic falls under this realm, including shapeshifting, evocation, Flash Steps, etc. Technically, you don't need words to unleash the power, but it helps as a concentration aid. Your basic witch, wizard and supernatural creature will tend towards this kind of ability.

The Art of Creation: This is the Divine Spark, the Unchained Soul, the realm of power beyond mortal ken. It is, to put in pop-culture terms, the A God Am I/Reality Warper/Superpower Lottery Winner power. The one who accesses this powers can pretty much do anything they like, including emulate the other two. You have something like 1 in 1 billion chance of gaining the ability and all the great figures of history have had a portion of this spark, for good or for evil. Last one who managed to gain this is...well, spoilers right now, but I can hint it was in World War II.

And no, the current wielder of the Art of Creation in this RP isn't the Avatar, though he'll come pretty close. It'll be someone we haven't yet met. Once he or she is revealed, everyone will be hunting for the one, because upon him or her hinges the path to victory, the turning point upon which all history will unfold.

Last edited:
Basics of Magic, written by Cyreni, Reader of Fluff.

The first thing to know about Magic is how it operates on the elementary level. Magi of all kinds, be they wizards, necromancers, shamans, druids, priests, or whatever else, all pull their power from somewhere. That power usually originates from the lands they've traveled, but there are instances where one draws power from rituals or other beings and the like. The type, or color, of power drawn from the land depends on its history and geography, which is why you normally see pyromancers living near mountains, necromancers living in swamps, wizards living on islands, etc.

The power drawn from the land allows its wielder to shape and channel the Æther, or Blind Eternities, as it's normally referred to. This allows the mage to do all sorts of stuff, so long as the mana being channeled is receptive to what's being done and the mage knows what he/she's doing (i.e., you don't use red mana to counter a spell or blue mana to reanimate the dead).

A mage's or Planeswalker's repertoire of spells and summons are only limited to what they've learned or experienced. A Planeswalker's perfect memory is especially well-suited for this style of magic, as it lets them replicate anything they've ever seen. When cast, the spell is pulled from the mage's mind and it cannot be cast again unless the mage learns how to do it again. This is partly why a Planeswalker doesn't spam counterspells or Banefires at you, they'll spam everything at you!

Magi are soft-limited to using mana that fits their personality. You won't see a blue mage that isn't a scholar to some degree, for instance, nor will you see a super-indecisive red mage, for instance. However, a mage can cast a fireball or grow a tree without being in the right mindset. It just isn't as effective.

Magi have a hard-limit on how much power they can safely channel before they incinerate themselves and everything around them. Most beings will never reach this limit within their natural lifespan, but notable exceptions such as Barrin exist. Planeswalkers are not limited by this, as their true forms are literal energy.

Mana is categorized into five colors, plus colorless for "neutral" mana: white, blue, black, red, and green, or "WUBRG" (Woo-berg) for short. Each color deals with its own thing, with Niv-Mizzet using blue and red. I'll go over each of them specifically if you wish.

In addition to casting sorceries or conjuring enchantments, magi can also form creatures from the Æther. These creatures are just like their unconjured, natural forms (i.e. there's no physical difference between you and an Æther-spawned you), except that a few things may change depending on how the conjurer views you. Mass-produced creatures like footsoldiers are given generic personalities and features.

Any questions so far?

Looks good, @Cyreni. I would like you to break down the way the various mana interacts with the world some more, like in what way do the colors interact. And how the hell do you translate all the card rules into fluff terms?

Looks good, @Cyreni. I would like you to break down the way the various mana interacts with the world some more, like in what way do the colors interact. And how the hell do you translate all the card rules into fluff terms?
Here is an example from a few years ago, but that interaction is one of the things they change every block, ever world has different interactions, changing things up is how they keep things fresh over the years.

The colors are normally grouped like this, with 2 'ally' colors that they usually work well with and sure stuff with, and 2 'enemy' colors that they are usually against, but sometimes enemies make the best friends.
There are alot of different combinations, and for most sets going 1 color is not an option.

Nothing about the colors is innately good or evil, white can be just as much of an asshole as black, just from the top down.

Ravinca is a world where there are 10 guilds, each based on two color mixes, I think the first set of it won an award for creative game design for how well they pulled that off.

I think Izzet is implusive logic on there, freedom, action, intellect, and omniscience.

As for translation of mechanics to fluff... umm, well, for me, I go with what seems most logical.
If I was playing a planeswalker, it would be a bit easier to translate imho, well, one with just the planeswalker magic system.

Edit: more info.

here are some of the podcasts by the lead designer of magic, some of them good deep into colors and lore.
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/mm/drivetowork

Here is the podcast on the color wheel itself: http://media.wizards.com/podcasts/magic/drivetowork23ColorPie_d5z12sxuq8.mp3

Last edited:
I wonder who the unlucky 6 expansion players will be (A bit of a while away, but it appears to be probable)...

Twitchy gave you a pretty good summary of color interactions, so I'll explain keywords. Plenty of keywords are obvious, such as flying, infect, or indestructible, but some of them take a bit of thinking or require backstory. For instance, first strike just means this guy usually hits the other guy first, be it through ambush or range. Deathtouch creatures are usually toxic, like scorpions or spiders, or fatally magical, like basilisks or gorgons. Double strike would be a guy who's really good at combat. Vigilance is for someone who hardly tires. Etc.

A few keywords or pseudo-keywords are trickier, like shadow or unblockability. Shadow creatures are those shunted into a sub-dimension, hardly able to interact with the physical world. Unblockable would be something like Invisible Stalker or Phantom Warrior, two creatures that could understandably sneak past or phase through defenses.

Basically, when translating keywords from mechanics to fluff, pause for a moment to take in all the flavor in a card. Example:
Deathtouch. Can't be blocked exceot by two or more creatures. Why does it have these abilities? Lets break it down.

Deathtouch is obvious with a glance at the flavor text. This thing's a creeping hazard just waiting to give you a hug. But the blocking clause? That's a little odd, and I think it's just there because of its two power body. It usually becomes a 2-for-1 if an opponent blocks it, because then this thing just kills both blockers.

Another card:
Slivers are an interesting bunch. To make a Sliver hive, you take your generic zergy or tyranid-y hive-mind swarm, and give them super serum and the ability to instantly mutate. A Sliver outbreak is basically "this ecosystem and all the others around are *bleep*ed", even for what could be considered higher-end settings.

Anyways. What does this guy do? He gives all Slivers a boost in strength and durability, regardless of allegiance. Straightforward and easy.

Any more questions?

It's a bit confusing, yes. But the way the magic works, teleportation is essentially popping from one place to another at will, sometimes accompanied by a fancy noise or flash of light. Wormholes are not, strictly speaking, teleportation, even though by scientific consensus it is, because you're not deliberately popping, but twisting spacetime to get to where you want to go. It's basically the difference between, say, Apparation and Portkeys. One wills you where you want to go, the other creates a wormhole to where you want to go. As far as anti-teleport wards go, the standard issue one you have captured will block teleports, but won't block wormholes. The stronger ones, like the one defending the major regions of the Infernal Realms, will block both. There's nothing in the arsenal of the Infernal Realms that can block a Summoning as that is considered a deeper magic than the other two.

Oh, and you now have a scientifically accurate reasoning why Danketsu breached that shield. It was a wormhole, not a teleport, even though the terminology is more or less interchangeable. The Infernal Realms won't make that same mistake twice, and will certainly take steps to block both ways.

Summoning is a third route to getting where you want to go. If I have to scientifically analyse it, it's likely to be a form of quantum tunneling, a sliding between dimensions instead of breaching them in some way. It may look like teleportation at first, but it's completely different, and it's pretty much impossible to block because quantum stuff is just that weird.

To be completely fair, by layman's standards, it doesn't matter, but magic is rather pedantic like that. *sigh*

Sooo... Teleportation is the Instantious , metaphysical transfer between Place A and Place B while the others both take a measureable, if sometimes infinitesmal amount of time´AND use a medium for travel? IS that what you mean?

Meanwhile, the Denliner sidesteps that by utilising the secondary effets of timetravel that prevent you from appearing in the middle of space.

Last edited:
Correctamundo!

@Cyreni. No. Looks like I'm good.
Well, that definition helps out a lot; originally I thought the definition applied to the field would also block the Kloude chamber (whose method was known to be blocked by a almost same method), but since it doesn't it means having the chamber as a kind of radar for any future fight will still work. At least before they develop their own countermeasures upon being made aware of it.

Last edited:
Back