The Mid-Realms [A D&D 3.5/Arcana Unearthed campaign + prose and world building]

Welcome to the Mid-Realms

EcoSyndieDragon

Free Palestine, Oppose the Fash
Pronouns
He/Him
The Mid-Realms

A D&D 3.5/Arcana Unearthed campaign
Inspirations: Arcana Unearthed/Northern and Eastern European Mythology/Dungeon Meshi/Vintage Story/Midgard

The Old World and the Old Gods perished in the fires of the Götterdämmerung. Time, and the efforts of the Elder races, would see a new green world would emerge from the ashes of the old. In the realms beyond Balder would return from the dead to lead the gods of Asgard; both new and old. Opposing them for the worship of mortals was Perun-Ukko and the Gods of Pohjola, Gardariki, and the Silver Duchy. In the depths of the sea the slain world serpent would shed it's skin and likewise be reborn. Now a god in it's own right and said to plot the destruction of all the deities above.

From the remote corners of the world humanity reemerged, rather survivors or recreated by the Gods, is unknown. After rebuilding they set out to find their place in the world. One filled with dangers, be it the beasts of the wilds or the restless dead, but also great repositories of ancient secrets. Some say they were created by the Old God Wotan to ensure the preservation of the knowledge midst the coming conflagration. Others believe they were crafted by the Elder races or ancient humanity for a similar purpose.

Either way they beckon the bravest souls to probe their depths and reshape the world in ways both wondrous and terrible…

My goal with this first and foremost is to have fun, to indulge my love of world building and to play with the 'toys' I couldn't afford to when I was younger. I followed the development of Monte Cook's alternate players handbook eagerly but could only afford the 'Way of the Sword' pdf. Thankfully adulthood has come with income so that's something. Part of this is offering a fun array character options from both systems [3.5 & AU] though taking some care to ensure things are balanced and coherent.

I also wanted to create a setting that allows for multiple styles of campaign. Do you want to plunge in the depths of booby trapped dungeons in search treasures? Want to establish/protect a fledgling community? Want to become enmeshed in complex religious and political machinations? Well my goal will be to make a setting where all these approaches and more are viable.

Required Materials:

3.5 Core Rulebooks or SRD

Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed

The Complete Book of Eldritch Might [Also by Monte Cook]

I'm trying to minimize the amount of material required to run the Mid-Realms and focus on making sure that every component used feels properly integrated into the world. If people have have suggestions on more 3.5 or AU materials to use I'd be happy hear them.

Terminology Changes

One thing I want to address is I will be avoiding the use of the terms 'Totem' and 'Spirit Animal', I've seen a lot of arguments about the use of it in fiction, fantasy in particular, as a form of cultural appropriation. So for example from this point forward I'll be calling the Totem Warrior the Skin Warrior. Which I feel is both metal and invokes the idea of the classic hide-wearing berserker. will use the term 'Soul Animal' instead of spirit or totem animal.

I will also be referring to the magic system described in Arcana Unearthed as 'Primal Magic' for reasons I'll elaborate on later. I'm admittedly mainly doing this for my own enjoyment but I hope others find this interesting as well.

Last edited:
Big ups for the references to Finnish mythology.

Is this purely a worldbuilding endeavour or are you planning to run actual games? If so, what platforms/formats?

Big ups for the references to Finnish mythology.

Is this purely a worldbuilding endeavour or are you planning to run actual games? If so, what platforms/formats?

Thanks! I find it a truly fascinating mythology, especially the Kalevala.

Mainly worldbuilding at the moment, I've got a lot going and am mainly doing this for fun. I'm drawing on 3.5 D&D, an older edition from years back, and a couple of third party supplements.

Heyo, sorry it took me so long to get to this, the cold medicine is kicking my ass.

Ayway this concept is freaking awesome, you've done a fantastic job working in the Norse blief system and Ragnarok premises as we know them, along with other intriguing trivia, into an overtly mystical setting and through it incepted an entirely new and original setting to play around in. One that as you yourself make clear, allows for a ton of variety in ganes, even potentially allowing for more war game style stuff over pure party adventure, though I totally get preferencing the adventure party given your primary rule book inspiration. What I am getting at is that this is a setting bursting with opportunity and potential which is very cool.

Also big fan of the World Serpent being reborn, though what makes it a god now VS what it what then?

Also fair call on the terminology, I think those new names are very good, so kudos there!

I'd love to play as a Viking warrior, who strives for glory and honor for his people. The problem is that most of my experience comes from 5e.

Heyo, sorry it took me so long to get to this, the cold medicine is kicking my ass.

Oof, now problem friend, I've been there

Ayway this concept is freaking awesome, you've done a fantastic job working in the Norse blief system and Ragnarok premises as we know them, along with other intriguing trivia, into an overtly mystical setting and through it incepted an entirely new and original setting to play around in. One that as you yourself make clear, allows for a ton of variety in ganes, even potentially allowing for more war game style stuff over pure party adventure, though I totally get preferencing the adventure party given your primary rule book inspiration. What I am getting at is that this is a setting bursting with opportunity and potential which is very cool.

Thank you so much! I love real-word mythology and greatly enjoyed meshing that with the concepts in D&D and AU, some of which does so quite. Though makes sense given Tolkien drawing on Norse Mythology and the Kalevala for his work which in turn influenced D&D. So I suppose it's just bringing things full circle.

I could see the potential in a war game approach though I have no clue how to run such things.

Also big fan of the World Serpent being reborn, though what makes it a god now VS what it what then?

"That which is above is like to that which is below, and that which is below is like to that which is above."

The idea being that just as Balder returned from the dead to lead the gods the world serpent was likewise reborn as a counter balance. Implying that there's a higher power above the divine at play.

Also fair call on the terminology, I think those new names are very good, so kudos there!

Glad to hear the names are well liked!

I'd love to play as a Viking warrior, who strives for glory and honor for his people. The problem is that most of my experience comes from 5e.

Unfortunately the material I'm using doesn't have a 5E equivalent but one of the inspirations for this, Midgard, does and even includes Vikings!

Oof, now problem friend, I've been there
I can def see why the chemist asked if the doctor recommended them, I cant even drive when on this stuff XD

Thank you so much! I love real-word mythology and greatly enjoyed meshing that with the concepts in D&D and AU, some of which does so quite. Though makes sense given Tolkien drawing on Norse Mythology and the Kalevala for his work which in turn influenced D&D. So I suppose it's just bringing things full circle.

I could see the potential in a war game approach though I have no clue how to run such things.
NP, thanks for sharing!

There's plenty to love there and I think you did a really solid job melding these things together, so kudos again! Good insights there too, recursive themeing and all that.

Totally fair there XD

"That which is above is like to that which is below, and that which is below is like to that which is above."

The idea being that just as Balder returned from the dead to lead the gods the world serpent was likewise reborn as a counter balance. Implying that there's a higher power above the divine at play.
Ah Celestial mechanics, when old evil is destroyed new evil rises to take its place (Jackie Chan Adventures XD) Fair enough, not sure on the higher power aspect myself unless its like, ingrained universal rules but you do you.

Peoples of the Mid-Realms I: The Elder Races
Peoples of the Realm I

The Elder Races – Predating both man and in the case of the giants even some gods. Survivors of the Götterdämmerung they are proud and melancholic in equal parts. Pride in their histories and what they endured, sadness at all that was lost. And a burning determination to secure their future.

Giants: Also called 'Jotun' these beings claim to have existed before the rise of Wotan and his Pantheon. Their legends speak of clashes with the gods, of broken oaths, and journey here from the mythical realm of giants. For this reason they eschew worship of the divine in favor of their ancestors. The Giants are also the most eager of the Elders to guide the younger peoples.

Elves: Children of the Vanir, ancient Gods of the Forest, the elves or 'Alfar' lost much in when the world burned. Through great effort they worked to restore the land and preserve lost lore. However, the death of their creator; Freyr, in Ragnarök was a profound shock to many elves. While most remained devoted to the surviving Vanir others have drifted to Cult of Balder or turned to Animism.

Subraces: Light Elves [High Elves], Wood Elves

Faen: Cousins to the Elves and likewise creations of the Vanir the Faen dwell among the Elves or in their own forested communities. They are however more out going than their cousins and sometimes play the role of informal middle men between them and the other races. In the centuries since the end of the Old World they claim to be attuned to the New Gods who arose after the Götterdämmerung.

Subraces: [Quickling, Loresong, & Sprite]

Dwarves: Of all the Elder Races the Dwarves fared best, secure in their mountain strongholds. Though not without losses or hardships of their own. They warred with not only with various giants but their cruel and twisted Derro kin. Some strongholds fell into barbarism while others responded to the pressures to further refine their skills in engineering and science.

Last edited:
Peoples of the Mid-Realms II: The Younger Races
The Younger Races - Though lacking in the might of the Jotun or the magical aptitude of the Alfar, these peoples, make up for it ambition and perhaps a little bit of recklessness.

Humans: Created by the old Gods, Wotan and Freyja, humans are thus children of both the Aesir and Vanir. This duality is said to be the source of man's capicity for greatness and depravity, of genius and foolishness. Even after the end in just a few centuries they have managed to establish a handful of nations amidst the older nonhuman polities. Eager to discover their origins they are among the most eager to probe the ancient dungeons. Though culturally and physically diverse humans notably have no subraces unlike many other peoples. Though humans are capable of interbreeding with other races, producing fertile off spring. Something that is source of jokes and morbid fascination among the Elder races.

Half-Elves: Some Elves spend a great deal of time among humans. Sometimes as teachers, adventurers, diplomats, or as part of an arranged marriage. Half-Elves are the enduring legacy of these interactions, often carrying on the work of acting as bridges between there parents peoples. It is a loose tradition though for Half-Elves to eventually choose between Humanity and the Elves.

Mojh: Centuries back, in the dim, dark days after the Götterdämmerung, the gods were dead or distant. This left some remote communities of reemerging humans to begin venerating the living and present Dragons. These Draconic Cults often paid tribute to their masters in exchange for protections and arcane knowledge. A mutually beneficial exchange that eventually lead to the emergence of the Mojh. Humans have discovered an alchemical ritual to transform into gender-less, draconic beings.

Halflings: A diminutive folk distantly related to humans. Thought to have emigrated from the east, Halflings can be found through out the Mid-Realms. They are renowned for their culinary skill as well as their surprising aptitude for locks and clockwork. Spiritually most practice ancestral animism as well paying tribute to local agricultural Gods. Most are content to pay tribute to the taller races and dwell in their own rural communities.

Litorains: Migrating out of the south into lands depopulated in the aftermath of the calamity the lion-headed men have made a mark as fierce and honorable warriors. Fighting along side both Elves and Giants in the dark days left a common respect even neither peoples understand one another. One notable facet of the Litorians is their lack of reverence for the gods and faith. Litorian shamans, often Greenbonds and Druids, view spirits and the natural world as partners rather than objects of worship.

Author's Notes: In the future I will be detailing the more 'monstrous' races of the Realm and which ones would be suited to be player characters with your DM's permission. Though heads up I'm trying to not go too heavy on the 'evil' humanoids in this setting.

Last edited:
Peoples of the Realm I
OK finally got some time!

Off to a good start, I like that there was both an apocalypse but also survivors and how that feeds into the unique vibe of this world.

The Jotun work well, I like the ancestral worship part, it vibes extremely well with how Giants were both peers to the gods but also not quite given how their wars tended to work out. They are like beyond mortals, but not strictly divine.

Seems like a fairly traditional spin on elves, but this is not a bad thig and the fact their culture is being rocked by religious shifts is intriguing. Curious what Animism says regarding both their old faith and duties and their current ones?

Are the Light Elves a different ethnicity or more like a semi totally different type of elves?

The Faen seem neat, much more like the mischievous pixy and such than the more regal elves but coming from a similar source.

Sounds kind of like Fall Out for the Dwarves XD Still interesting, though I am a little surprised there's not been some tweaking, then again I am unsure if the Dwarves were like a trio of brothers, gods, or another species. Regardless, nice!

The Younger Races - Though lacking in the might of the Jotun or the magical aptitude of the Alfar, these peoples, make up for it ambition and perhaps a little bit of recklessness.
Classic tropes for the younger species XD

The humans seem fine, though I am one of those "Anti human" humans when it comes to humanity in sci-fi or fantasy so I can't offer much XD

Interesting idea with the choice between elf and humanity, I wonder if there will ever be half elves wanting to create their own identity?

The Mojh are very cool conceptually, curious id dragons resemble Fafnir one of my fave dragons due to being a fucked up bastard.

Hmm, do Halfings have a history in Norse Mythos, or is this D&D thing? They seem solid, just curious.

Litorains are cool, lion people are cool in general, so this is easy. Again curious as to their source.

As to your note, fair, while I think there can be some interesting work done exploring concepts tangential to "Evil species" its generally so hard to avoid being super problematic and nonsensical and weird about it.

I will say the one series I saw do it well was Freirin, with its demons basically being evolved from magical predators that first developed mimicry to pretend to be humans calling for help and can now replicate humans extremely well but its also very surface level and rarely lasts long cos its hard to bray like your equivalent of a cow every few minutes for days on end.

Back