The Falcon Heavy Tesla Car to Mars gets discovered by aliens

Guessmyname

Tea-Powered Biscuit-Eater Riding A Flamingo
Pronouns
They/Them
By some freak coincidence, all life is wiped out on Earth, all other existing human-built satellites / debris etc are destroyed, and Earth itself goes the way of Venus and wrecks all potential archaeological findings under intense heat, pressure and heavy wind. The only surviving evidence of humanity's existence is a car mounted on a rocket booster, floating through space with the words DON'T PANIC on its dashboard, being piloted by a dummy in a space suit.

You are an alien explorer/archaeologist discovering this relic for the first time. The area is unexplored space known not to contain any other form of interstellar life.

What would you deduce from this discovery?

Last edited:
Mostly I'd deduce implied capacity for chemistry, electronics and materials engineering. And then probably a lot of "Ritual purposes" (which according to the joke I heard is archaeologist for "Don't know").

How long has the car been adrift in space and consequentially, how badly have random micrometeorite strikes damaged it?

"Looks like this species had their own version of Zaphod Beeblebrox."

"please don't, I can't stand that guy."

"Do you realize how important it could be to anthropology that other sophants could also produce outliers like him?"

"No" *rude gesture*

They'd probably be appalled that the vehicle has such poor build quality for its price.

More seriously, the aliens would scratch their heads, wondering why a species intelligent enough to send objects into space would send a land vehicle into orbit. Finding that it has no scientific or commercial purpose, they might conlude that it served a religious function. Given the cult of personality that surrounds Elon Musk, that wouldn't be too far off.

I wonder if they'd ever realize there never was a landing vehicle to get it back to a planetary surface as opposed to said hypothetical landing vehicle merely having somehow been separated from its payload.

Back