The Death of Stalin

Bah, propaganda. Everyone knows that Stalin was murdered by his personal aid and second in Command, Nadia Zelenkov, And that she was executed by our glorious leader Kane so that the brotherhood could Conquer earth with freedom.

Last edited:
Because everyone seems to have a British accent, I can't help but imagine this as being set in the Kaiserreich's universe in the Union of Britain and taking place in the wake of Mosley's death.

Because everyone seems to have a British accent, I can't help but imagine this as being set in the Kaiserreich's universe in the Union of Britain and taking place in the wake of Mosley's death.

Actually, the absence of authentic accents actually adds to the absurdity for me.

EDIT: Huh. Alliteration. What do you know?

Actually, the absence of authentic accents actually adds to the absurdity for me.
While I agree that no satirical/comedic film about Stalin is complete without making fun of his authentic accent, I have trouble believing that the effect can be properly conveyed in English(especially in relatively few phrases at most, as by the premise the key figure seems to die very, very early in the film).

Last edited:
As long as it keeps its comedy pitch-black and absurdist I think this looks like it could be a fantastic film. It's not like jokes about the ridiculous but terrifying politburo under Stalin are something new; it has been a proud tradition since before his death.

Just got back from seeing this a few hours ago.

Bloody brilliant, bloody being the operative word. Ianucci and his collaborators have outdone themselves.

The casting was magnificent, the cast themselves deliver nothing less than good performances all round, a mesmerising Simon Russell Beale as Lavrentiy Beria steals the show, the script crackles with absurdist comic energy and malice...

Go and see this thing, for your own sake.

Or you'll end up on a list.

Last edited:
Just got back from seeing this a few hours ago.

Bloody brilliant, bloody being the operative word. Ianucci and his collaborators have outdone themselves.

The casting was magnificent, the cast themselves deliver nothing less than good performances all round, a mesmerising Simon Russell Beale as Lavrentiy Beria steals the show, the script crackles with absurdist comic energy and malice...

Go and see this thing, for your own sake.

Or you'll end up on a list.

>>getting a screening of Three Billboards where you are

You can't see it but I'm envious right now.

Truly karma works fast

So this came out in local theaters and I saw it. Great film, but wow was that darker than vantablack.

Could have been worse. They had to remove some stuff because people wouldn't believe it was true. Look at the deleted scenes for some of it, but again, it's not even close to the full extent of what actually happened.

Could have been worse. They had to remove some stuff because people wouldn't believe it was true. Look at the deleted scenes for some of it, but again, it's not even close to the full extent of what actually happened.
Heh, I imagine some of it was hammed up (It took much longer for Beria to get ridden out of town on a rail) but it was a great use of black comedy.

Jason Isaacs most certainly stole the show and Jeffery Tambor was a bit weak, but overall it's my favorite piece that the director has done.

Edit: any good recs on other readings as a follow up? I don't know a huge amount about the period

Last edited:
On the more detailed reasons why it was banned in Russia:

Article:
No laughing matter: Armando Iannucci's The Death of Stalin reveals the anxieties of team Putin

Mark Edele Hansen Chair inHistory, University of Melbourne

Armando Iannucci's dark comedy The Death of Stalin, on general release in Australia from March 29, has caused controversy in Russia. After a preview in the Ministry of Culture in late January, a group of politicians and cultural figures – including the daughter of acclaimed WW2 military commander Marshal Georgy Zhukov, played in the film by Jason Isaacs – wrote an open letter to the minister calling the film "slander", "denigrating", and "extremist".

[continue reading]

What has two thumbs and lives in a country which film industry is controlled by the Russian companies? Me.

I wanted to see this movie, but I can't.

Given the limited release, many people will have to stream the movie, like me. The movie has a great black comedy, while still showing off the pernicious paranoia surrounding Stalinist Russia. However, Issacs' Zhukov has slightly less medals than the real man. The costume designer should have pinned a few more ribbons to the right and bottom of his uniform.

Back