The Curse of Foreknowledge

Ch 13.1 now or Ch 13 later?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know, Kongou is born in England.
Could she, upon being summoned, walk to the English embassy and request Asylum?
Just as a big F you to the Japanese?

With all this bottled up anger, frustration and venom building up and bubbling away, Kongo may end up coming back as an Abyssal after her Sinking.....

I personally find this unlikely, simply because Kongou is formerly human.

I however expect a lot of personal conflict after her summoning. For example if she where to ever encounter a modern Japanese militarist, or worse if her foreknowledge is revealed. Just imagine everyone's reaction to finding out Kongou knew about everything, but said nothing.

I don't think Kongou is gonna become an Abyssal, it's noted that while she didn't speak out, she stopped being as cheerfull. Depending on if she's somewhat of a late summoning, i imagine that other people who knew Kongou might actually be worried that she did turn into an abysall, because of how the nationalistic fevour, very much didn't strike a cord in her.

Even if she does pretend like everything is fine, people are gonna notice eventually that she is being affected. If her sister are summoned first, i do feel like abyssal Kongou might be a concern for them.

All right. I need to ask you, the readers, a question. How do you feel about my font choice and the use of italics in the story?

It's ok. My opinion is that it seems like Italics work when as though the Protagonist is writing a journal and shown in-story. Other than that it should also work when having a flashback that involves dialogue when needed for the story.

I assumed that the italics indicated that this was "in the past", i. e. a narration describing events that have already happened. So the text would change to normal when "in the present".

That could be an effective way of delineating part 1 from part 2, but having such a huge chunk of your story italicized for a relatively minor payoff could be unappealing to some. I personally don't mind the italics, but I do notice them whenever I read a new chapter of your story.

Sometimes while writing this I feel like I'm writing a first-person history report with all the research I'm doing. Learning a lot of things I never knew about Japanese history for this era so it's been pretty fun.

With all this bottled up anger, frustration and venom building up and bubbling away, Kongo may end up coming back as an Abyssal after her Sinking.....

I think the Abyss would take one look at her and say nope, let's point that Dess at some poor Admiraal. I think her sisters would be her anchor, and she to them as well.

I think the Abyss would take one look at her and say nope, let's point that Dess at some poor Admiraal. I think her sisters would be her anchor, and she to them as well.

Don't see it happening either. What I can see happening, is Kongo becoming the go-to girl if they need a liaison with other navies in the modern times (albeit if she really starts speaking in dialect like in my Omake, that would be a tad more difficult if the other navy is not British)

Small question, are you Dutch speaking by any chance? I was just wondering given that my phone (which is programmed in Dutch) quite often gives that very same autocorrupt for admiral.

Chapter 6
Chapter 6
The Invasion of Manchuria set the tone for the 1930s. The era of the Taisho Democracy was truly dead and buried and the tide of ultra-nationalist militarism would only rise higher and higher. Had I not seen it building in the twenties? I had known that it was coming but it seemed as if a switch had just been flipped with the invasion of Manchuria. Could I have missed the build-up of societal pressure to this?

I couldn't help but notice my ignorance of Japanese history outside of the military side of that history, and even that was mostly limited to the period of the second world war, but it made sense. The underlying issues behind the riots and strikes I had witnessed back in 1918 must never have truly been resolved after they were suppressed, and even with the boom era of the twenties, the Great Depression had taken that all away, leaving the door wide open, much like in Weimar Germany and the rise of the Nazis. Of course, these were just my somewhat educated guesses. Trying to diagnose the complex societal issues that affected Japan from an anchorage or fleet training maneuver was not an endeavor that could be expected to bear fruit. My crew and those who worked in the various ports around Japan that I visited were truly my only window into the workings of Japanese society.

A few months after the start of the Manchurian invasion I was made flagship of the Combined Fleet, and while I did not expect to hold this position for long as there were newer and more powerful battleships, it was interesting to have a fleet command group onboard. It was an interesting insight, as even though I was dealing with my feelings about Japan's slide into the second world war, I couldn't help but listen and watch them. Living through history was living through history, the good and the bad, the interesting and the boring.

The first sister to see my new outfit would be Kirishima, as we both would depart Sasebo as part of a fleet making for Shanghai, in response to the incident that was going on there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"…and it just changed one day?"

Kirishima asked after I had finished explaining what had happened during my rebuild, her gaze was still examining my outfit even now.

"Yes, I don't know how to explain how it happened but it just…well did. Did anything change for you during your rebuild?"

From my vantage, I hadn't noticed any differences in her outfit, but it wouldn't be far-fetched for me to miss some small detail.

She got a thoughtful scrunched eyebrow expression and looked down at herself. I realized it was possible that she may have never thought to look.

"No…there does not seem to be anything that has changed…"

She said as she looked back up at me.

"Do you see anything different?"

"No, you look the same as you always have."

She really did look the same as she always had. After a few moments, a smile spread on Kirishima's face.

"Hiei is going to be delighted when she sees you."

"That's not much of a prediction 'Shima. She is going to love how I appear now. We all match."

"I don't think she much cared that we were mismatched before."

Kirishima pointed out. She was right of course.

"You are very right, though it is far more obvious now that I am the elder sister."

I said with faux smugness. Being around one of my sisters really was a salve on my soul and my mood which had been…bleak, had been improved a fair bit.

"Indeed, none will be able to deny it now."

We both broke down in chuckles for a few moments. After those few moments of light-heartedness, I was brought back to reality as several aircraft passed overhead. They were white biplanes with red meatballs on their wings' undersides. Under their centerlines, each carried two bombs.

They had passed by before I could get a look at their identification markings but there were two carriers apart of this fleet. Kaga and Hōshō. Hōshō I knew well enough, we had crossed paths enough times over the years to consider each other friends.

Kaga on the other hand…well…I had only interacted with her a bare few times and I wasn't quite sure what to think of her demeanor. Perhaps as sullen aloofness…that might be the best way to describe it. It could be that or perhaps she just had no social skills so just didn't speak very often.

Of course, I had rarely interacted with her so she could be very different from those she is around a lot. She might be the life of the party…not that I really thought that was it.

"Those planes will be bound for Shanghai…with those large bombs they are carrying."

"The Army needs the Navy's support. The Chinese provocateurs outnumber them."

"There has been a lot of provocation in China as of late…"

I said as I looked at the airplanes. If Kirishima could have seen my face, she would have seen the deep frown that my lips bore, though she may have picked up on the flat tone of my voice.

"Yes…well…these are the times we live in. They won't last, but Japan must not back down from them, lest we founder."

Kirishima responded as she too watched the planes disappear into the distance.

"Yes but China is vast and deep…"

"Don't be so pessimistic sister, things will go well for the Empire, you don't need to worry."

"Yes of course…you're right…"

I said with a sigh. Perhaps it was best she didn't pick up on the meanings behind my words, or perhaps she had and hadn't let on. She was the most astute of my sisters, but if she didn't say anything I wouldn't either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the Shanghai incident officially ended with a cease-fire and a withdrawal of forces on both sides, it had been a clear Japanese military victory and had in effect been a small-scale test for the coming second Sino-Japanese war, just as the invasion of Manchuria had.

1932 would continue to be a turbulent year in East Asia as on May 18th, the Japanese Prime Minister, Inukai Tsuyoshi, was assassinated by a group of young naval officers as a part of an attempted coup d'état.

The reaction was not what I had expected. In all honesty, I had expected there to be outrage that anyone would try to murder the Prime Minister, who was ostensibly the Emperor's representative from my understanding.

Perhaps that small bit of me that was still American from my past life. The assassinations of Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy, no one even remembers Garfield or McKinley were presidents, had been national tragedies. The assassination of Inukai Tsuyoshi…was…to put it simply, the exact opposite.

The eleven assassins were almost…folk heroes. I simply could not understand how anyone could think they were justified in their actions. How could tens of thousands of people write the court begging for them to get a lenient sentence?

I simply couldn't understand. It was so far outside my frame of reference that I was completely perplexed. I couldn't even try to imagine the mindset required to think in such a way. I had known that Japan had gone hard into ultra-nationalism and militarism in the thirties and that the army and navy had such a tense rivalry that they would occasionally murder each other, but this. I could not understand this.

In my past life, I had never done a deep dive into the political history of Japan. All I had was essentially the 'too long, didn't read' version. It had just never been something that I had looked into. Military history has always been far more interesting to me.

At least I wasn't alone in my reaction. A fair number of the older ships were also shocked by this turn of events. This event proved to be just one more step along the path to the death ride the Japanese Empire was determined to be on.

On a non-political front, 1932 would also see my anti-air battery receive a major upgrade. First were four duel 12.7 cm/40 Type 89 anti-aircraft guns. These were the ubiquitous anti-aircraft gun of the imperial Japanese navy and every ship that could mount them would mount them. An odd second was the two twin-mount Type 91 40mm guns. These were imported Vickers 2-pdr autocannons and were pretty much the exact opposite of the 40mm Bofors gun that would be commonplace in a decade or so with the United States Navy. The 2-pdr looked to me as if Vickers had just taken the Vickers machine gun and had just upsized it to be a 40mm anti-aircraft gun. That is probably exactly what they had done.

It did its job poorly and I didn't need to think hard to see why it would be replaced as soon as possible by the also ubiquitous Type 96 25 mm gun. Not that those were much better at their job either.

With the turn of the calendar from 1932 to 1933, the League of Nations Lytton Commission would issue its report on the Japanese Invasion of Manchuria. In response to the League's determination that Japan should withdraw from Manchuria, Japan would in turn leave the League of Nations.

The rest of 1933 and 1934 would be spent on various training maneuvers with the combined fleet, most of what I had been doing ever since I had arrived in Japan twenty years prior. Twenty years since I first sighted Japan. Twenty years since I had left England. I couldn't help but wonder how things had changed back in Barrow-In-Furness. Were the tugs still doing their thing? Probably, tugboats had very long-life spans, so unless they suffered some accident that caused them to be written off, they would still be there, moving things around and they could keep on doing so for decades to come. I wonder if they remembered me. I hoped I had left a memorable enough impression on them. Having someone remember me would be nice…

In November 1934 I returned to Sasebo to once again be a reserve ship. The Sasebo tugboats certainly knew me, considering how much time I spent in the reserve, though perhaps not as well as the Yokosuka tugs. A few months later in January of 1935, the German Naval Attaché, Captain Paul Wenneker was given a tour of the cruisers Tama, the submarine I-2, and me.

It was clear to me that he was not impressed by what he saw when he came onboard my hull. I took offense to that in spite of everything. As if the German Kriegsmarine was anything to write home about. The Kriegsmarine surface fleet was made irrelevant after the first few years of the war, the battleships and cruisers either sunk or forced to stay in port. The U-Boats had been more effective but even when they were at their most effective, the Germans had nowhere near enough of them.

Which was good, there had been a risk at the start of the war that the Germans might starve out the British with their attacks on merchant ships. The far superior Italian navy had been bottled up in the Mediterranean with nowhere near enough oil, which had also been for the best.

So, I had no idea on what grounds this German had to be unimpressed with me. I was more than a match for anything the Germans had. The Vickers and later the Yokosuka Yard had given their best in building and rebuilding me. To me, no expense had been spared and my sisters and I were the best of the pre-World War One ships still afloat, certainly better than anything the Germans would ever put to sea.

The German captain was gone as soon as he came and things returned to the normal day-to-day of the reserve until June, when I moved to Yokosuka for my second rebuild.

This rebuild would be just as comprehensive as the first and I mentally prepared myself for the discomfort it would bring. Without the Washington and London naval treaties to bind them anymore, the Navy was fully intent to rebuild my sisters and I into fast battleships so that we would be able to keep up with the fleet carriers. This meant new boilers and new turbines. My ten boilers were a mix of coil-oil fired and pure oil and they were replaced by eight new Kampon boilers and my old turbines, which had been pushing me along since 1913 were finally replaced by new Parsons geared turbines. This modernization of my engineering plant would see my speed increase to 30 knots, even greater than when I had been a battlecruiser.

My armaments would also undergo modernizing. The last of the underwater torpedo tubes would be removed and I wasn't in any way unhappy to see them gone as they were utterly useless weapons emplacements. Another useless weapon emplacement was removed when the Vickers 40mm guns were replaced by ten twin 25mm Type 96s. It said a lot about how bad the Vickers guns were that the Type 96s were an improvement.

My main mast would see its final transformation into a full pagoda and atop it was placed a 10-meter rangefinder. It was a very impressive optic and when combined with how the main battery's max elevation was increased from thirty-three to forty-five degrees, the effectiveness of my main 14-inch guns was greatly improved.

My armor profile was also improved overall, increasing the protection to my most vital of places, an example being how my belt was now a consistent thickness. With my more powerful engineering plant, my stern was lengthened by twenty-five feet to increase the fitness ratio of my hull so that my hull form could be kept efficient. It really spoke to the power of my new engineering plant that even with all the weight that had been added, giving me my greatest displacement to date, I was still faster than I had been straight out the Vickers Yard. I now had speed and armor…not that either of those would stop a pair of torpedoes that I was fated to meet.

The unknown force which seemed to control my life struck again near the midpoint of this reconstruction, same as the last time, my appearance changed again. My outfit remained the same from what I could tell but my hair of all things is what changed. It now fell further down, reaching the bottom of my lower back. With the new length of my hair I had gained two buns, with one on either side of my head, connected to two long loops of hair that came down over my hairband on either side of my face. It did not seem to me to be the most practical of hairstyles and I doubted I would be able to replicate it if I had to but it was what the universe had decided to bestow upon me.

During my time at the Yokosuka Naval Yard, I met the newly built cruiser Suzuya who was going through her fitting out. While she was not the first ship I had met during my time in Japan that did not speak any English, my interactions with her made it clear to me that spoken English was on its way out. The period of the Anglo-Japanese Treaty was long gone at this point and its influences faded more and more each year. Thankfully, even with my slow progress, the previous twenty-two years had been enough time for me to gain a more or less conversational vocabulary, even though it still did not come naturally to me. I still had to translate English to Japanese and vice versa in my head. It was clear to me that I would never be a natural speaker and I doubted that I was going to make some massive improvement to total fluency in the next decade.

I could tell Suzuya was rather amused that my Japanese was not as polished and natural as hers was, her being a born speaker of it after all, but she was still respectful and didn't rub my inadequacy in my face. I was an elder of the fleet at this point and that meant something. With how English usage was only going to decrease as things went on, I really would need to try to polish my Japanese up some more. With the rising ultra-nationalism, being the symbol of the British and the West within the fleet would probably see me become an outsider, even with my elder status.

Perhaps that was unavoidable no matter what I did…but perhaps I didn't want to be one of the team once the second world war kicked off…

1936 would see another major political incident for Japan when in February there was another attempted coup d'état, this time by the army. The conspirators had far more men with them in their attempt to overthrow the government, but they were just as successful as the last group who had tried to overthrow the government and their coup attempt was quickly brought to an end just two days after its start.

While their goals hadn't been achieved, the attempted coup had only served to increase the influence of the military over the civilian government. Failure and success had essentially the same results in the long term and I couldn't help but ponder again how things had gotten so bad so quickly. I once again cursed my lack of knowledge of Japanese political history. Perhaps if I had known more I could have seen the bigger picture that I wasn't able to see because of the quirks of my new life.

At the end of 1936, on the 25th of December, a large milestone came and went. Twenty-five years since I had awoken in my new life on that cold Christmas Eve in the Vickers Shipyard at Barrow-In-Furness. A quarter of a century had come and gone by. My life as Kongō had now become equal in length to my previous life. That fact made me feel…strange. With every passing year that past life seemed more distant and more like a movie I could remember particularly well. It felt less and less like I had actually lived it, which was more than a little disturbing to think about.

The night of the 25th of December was one spent in quiet self-reflection and when the sun finally rose upon snow-covered Yokosuka, I was more secure in my new life and my sense of self. I was who I was and now I am who I am.

With the coming of 1937, my second reconstruction was completed, and I began to count down the last few months of peace that the world would see before the start of the Second Sino-Japanese War and the start of the Second World War. The greatest tragedy in the history of mankind was onrushing like a runaway train.

On July 7th the first shots were fired at the Marco Polo Bridge…the shooting that started there would not cease for another eight years. Eight long years that would drown the world in an abyss of fire and death.

AN: New chapter and only a day later than I planned. I hope you all enjoy this as much as you have enjoy the previous chapters. We are closing in on the end of the first part of this story so I hope you all stick around for that. Once again, thank you for reading this and I hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Hmm I know those refits turn her into canon Kongou but the coming future should have a major spiritual effect on
her new shipgirl form when Japan perform summoning rituals, I'm hoping she lose her shrine outfit, regain her original English-themed nautical outfit and hair but keeping the rest as result of her strong feelings over the course of her life.

I have to ask will Kongou encounter HMS Moth aka Suma, HMS Thracian aka Patrol Boat No. 101 and USS Stewart aka Patrol Boat No. 102 later in the war?

1932 would continue to be a turbulent year in East Asia as on May 18th, the Japanese Prime Minister, Inukai Tsuyoshi, was assassinated by a group of young naval officers as a part of an attempted coup d'état.

The reaction was not what I had expected. In all honesty, I had expected there to be outrage that anyone would try to murder the Prime Minister, who was ostensibly the Emperor's representative from my understanding.

Perhaps that small bit of me that was still American from my past life. The assassinations of Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy, no one even remembers Garfield or McKinley were presidents, had been national tragedies. The assassination of Inukai Tsuyoshi…was…to put it simply, the exact opposite.

The eleven assassins were almost…folk heroes. I simply could not understand how anyone could think they were justified in their actions. How could tens of thousands of people write the court begging for them to get a lenient sentence?

I simply couldn't understand. It was so far outside my frame of reference that I was completely perplexed. I couldn't even try to imagine the mindset required to think in such a way. I had known that Japan had gone hard into ultra-nationalism and militarism in the thirties and that the army and navy had such a tense rivalry that they would occasionally murder each other, but this. I could not understand this.

The reason for this is, essentially, a somewhat different view of heroism - or technically anti heroism on the part of the Japanese. . . . And because I am not a talentless hack, I will use quotations

. . . If I had to guess, based on this theme I've noticed learning about Japanese history and culture (and I should warn you, I'm no expert in the slightest), is that there's this differing take on heroism that seems to exist in a lot of Japanese media. Specifically, if someone commits actions one would find morally reprehensible, but does so for seemingly altruistic or heroic reasons, they're considered a kind of hero or martyr. They're a person willing to put themselves through immense personal pain and suffering by having to take actions they would usually never agree with to better a higher cause. Just take a few moments to think of some tragically-frame character in a Japanese video game, film, or animation who does horrible things and kills or hurts tons of people, but are shown to be real broken up about it and really only doing it for a "greater good", and are then often vindicated.

And on the other hand, a study by Igor Prusa also says (in abstract form that is already available because I can't access the full PDF) -

. . . Thus, various Japanese hero-archetypes are analyzed (e.g. samurai, yakuza, social bandit, war hero) as they appear in Japanese mainstream narratives. My main theoretical argument is that rendering a transgressive behavior as enjoyable can be realized via three narrative mechanisms: positioning of the character within a net of social relationships, motivation of the character as a set of adequate reasons to be transgressive, and charisma (appearance, aura) of the character and/or actor. Apart from offering an interdisciplinary methodological framework, this research represents a significant departure from Friedrich Nietzsche (e.g. the dichotomy of Dionysian versus Apollonian ideal of conduct) in order to illuminate the fascination by heroes that are located beyond the conventional categories of good and evil.

Connecting the previous two with the description on Wikipedia which says that-
"The eleven officers who murdered Prime Minister Inukai were court-martialed. During the proceedings, the accused used the trial as a platform to proclaim their loyalty to the emperor and to arouse popular sympathy by appealing for reforms of the government and economy. By end of the trial, the court had received 110,000 clemency petitions, either signed or written entirely in blood, from sympathizers around the country pleading for a lenient sentence. Additionally, nine youths in Niigata asked to be tried by the court instead of the accused, and sent the court a jar containing nine of their own pickled severed pinky fingers as a gesture of their sincerity."

One can see how it appeals to the Japanese "anti-hero dynamic- Committing reprehensible actions for a seemingly better cause, putting themselves through immense personal pain (cutting off pinky fingers) and claiming it was for good reasons (proclaiming loyalty for the emperor (the living god) and appealing for reform in government and economy).

So, Unfortunate to say, it was a victory for democracy- the People wanted them free because of these reasons, but it was a defeat for Justice, and more importantly the young Liberal Republicanism of Japan, which suffered in legitimacy.

Had it gone against this type of democracy, to impose real Justice, to show that these types of actions cannot be permitted, that it was not a "failing" system - That elected officials were not weak and could still run Japan effectively as opposed to the authoritarianism of the Army or the navy. . . I like to think things could have been different.

Keep up with the good work!

A lot more time felt like it passed this chapter than in some of the ones previous, although I bet it's about to slow down quite a lot with the initiating of the war. Nice to see her recognizing her lack of speech against what's going on here.

Also, when Suzuya was introduced, you said "It was clear to me that I would be a natural speaker" instead of what I think should be "would never be a natural speaker"

Chapter 7
Chapter 7
The initial reaction to the events of the Marco Polo Bridge was rather more subdued than what I had witnessed from the previous battles and incidents in China. It seemed that such events had become something that the Japanese people had become used to, as if the army going on a rampage every once in awhile was just as normal as the rain or wind. No one seemed to expect that it was going to culminate in a total war in China. My sailors treated it just as if it were another incident and after discussion returned to other topics that were more pertinent to them. Then came the Battle of Beijing-Tianjin and some began to wonder if what was going on would build into a true war. The Tongzhou Massacre was a flashpoint I had not expected. On the 28th of July, while the Battle of Beijing-Tianjin still raged, elements of the Japanese-aligned East Hebei Army attacked the Japanese in the international settlement in Tongzhou, killing both civilians and military alike before setting the settlement on fire.

The reaction to this was outrage and fury. Plain and simple. The newspapers told of how the Chinese soldiers of the East Hebei Army had mutinied and massacred everyone they could get their hands on, Japanese or not. These reports caused anti-Chinese sentiment to explode among my crew and no doubt among the whole of Japanese society as well. The Japanese army continued to fight its way south from the Beijing area and there were only calls for more troops to be sent to China to punish the Chinese.

Early August would see the Battle of Shanghai. Haruna and Kirishima would participate in the battle by carrying army troops to Shanghai. The Navy didn't have much to do besides act as a taxi during a land war as the Chinese navy had dispersed and fled upriver. Their most powerful ships were two light cruisers that were more large destroyers than true cruisers and both had been taken up the Yangtze to avoid the Japanese Navy and I was fairly certain they would both be sunk before the end of the year.

Unlike Kirishima and Haruna, I was a part of the Sasebo Guard Squadron so I stayed in port, even though a fair number of my crew would have liked nothing more than to put to sea so they could join the battles going on in China but there wasn't much for a fast battleship to do during a land war and I doubted sailors would make the best infantry. There was going to be plenty of fighting at sea soon enough, though the results would not be the glorious victory they desired.

In December a historically famous face came on board to become my newest captain, the to-be Admiral, Captain Kurita Takeo. The man who would command one of the most powerful battle fleets ever put to sea by Japan and who would then see it be driven off by a handful of US Navy tin cans at the Battle off Samar. It would be the last real battle of the Imperial Japanese Navy. An attempt to get the decisive battle they had so desired for so long…well, the Kantai Kessen would come…and it would be the United States that would emerge victorious. In a few years, I was going to get a front-row seat to that. I was even going to be a major player in it, though a loss it was going to be for Japan, and a victory that would echo through history for the United States.

Captain Kurita's tenure onboard me would only see one action while on patrol in the Formosa Strait when two of my float planes bombed the city of Fuzhou. I couldn't help but think back to my conversations with Houshou many years before. My first real combat action had seen me acting as an aircraft carrier with my meager little airwing.

After that air raid, I would spend the rest of 1938 either patrolling off the coast of China or sitting in one of the many military ports of the Imperial Japanese Navy. Even during a war, it seemed my career was just what I had been doing for decades. Kurita moved on from being my captain before the end of the year and another captain took his place. Another face to add to the mental yearbook of captains I was keeping.

1939 would pass with more of the same, just sitting in port or doing patrols. No combat, just patrols and training. The only thing of note to me was that three different captains came and went over the course of the year. They came and went and went and came. My crew drilled and trained, polishing their skills to a razor's edge in lieu of a real surface action but I couldn't do that to burn time, for obvious reasons, leaving me with what I had done for years, sit and watch and listen to my crew and talk with whichever ships were nearest at the time.

Observing them as they went about their daily lives was as ever an interesting window into their lives as the history books I had read in my past life never had that point of view in them. Talking of their wives, or kids, or girlfriends back home, of the ships' baseball team, of what they wanted to do once the war was over and they got out of the navy, and of the rumors of…unpleasantness that were coming out of China.

Unpleasantness…that was one way to describe war crimes and atrocities. The Army would commit most of them during this war but the Navy would commit its own share once it expanded. As far as I was aware I would never be involved in atrocities like with the American pilots picked up and then murdered by destroyers at Midway or with the numerous massacres committed by the submarine force.

I hoped and prayed that such a situation would never be presented to my crew. If I had to watch them commit a war crime…well, that would be a breaking point for me. I could not, would not be able to deal with that. It was hard enough to know what was going on in China already.

The clock counting down to war with the United States and Great Britain continued to inexorably tick down as 1940 arrived and mostly went by as the previous three years had gone. Hiei's second reconstruction was finally done and just in time for her to be the centerpiece of the Imperial Naval Review that took place in Tokyo Bay. I wasn't there but I was sure that she had been very excited to be the imperial ship as the Emperor viewed the naval review from her. I was just as sure that she was going to tell me all about it when we reunited next. Thinking about that brought a smile to my lips.

In November of 1940, I returned to Sasebo and entered the yard there for various improvements. My barbettes and ammo tubes would receive extra armor plating along with my hull in general seeing an improved ventilation system and better firefighting equipment. The improved ventilation made my hull a more livable space for my crew. My crew being content with their ship was something that I had become oddly invested in over the years. They were my crew and…I felt for them. They came and went but I was their home away from home while they were with me. How could I not want the best for them? Even if they were on the wrong side of things.

It would be almost five months before this stint in the yard would see this mini-refit finished but I would be right back in the yards after the barrels of my number two turret were found to be wearing out quicker than expected. Then to top things off, not long after that in July my starboard cruising turbine decided it wanted to stop existing, so it did its best to rip itself apart. If it wasn't for the quick reaction of my crew, it would have torn itself and the machinery near apart instead of just it being damaged.

Damaged more than enough to require immediate attention so it was back to the port so that yard workers could tear it down and crawl all through my engineering plant to make sure that nothing else had been damaged by the turbine's fit. I knew there was nothing else wrong as it had just been a bearing in the turbine that had gone bad. Now if they hadn't shut it down before it could rip itself apart, then there probably would have been other equipment that would have been damaged. That would have meant more time in the yard. I had already spent so much time in the various naval yards around Japan that I could do without.

In August I was assigned back to the third battleship division which was in turn now a part of the first fleet of the Combined Fleet at the Hashirajima anchorage. This was where Mutsu was going to blow up in two years. No one had ever figured out exactly why she had blown up as far as I was aware, though I did know what the theories were. Mutsu and I got along well enough over the years, certainly much better so than her sister Nagato and I had, and even if I was going to be sunk just a year later I was still going to miss her for that time. On top of that, just blowing up randomly at anchor wasn't really the way for a battleship to go out.

While that was a rather depressing bit of trivia to have floating around the back of my mind, all three of my sisters and I were in the same place and were anchored close to each other, so it was quickly pushed out of my thoughts. Three of us being together had been rare, but it had happened over the years, while with how events had transpired over the years, this was the first time in nearly thirty years that all four of us were together and it probably would be the last, so I had every intention to enjoy it to the fullest.

We talked about everything we could talk about, there were so many years of backlog for us to talk about, though I maneuvered us around certain topics, and it was truly wonderful for our little family to be together but at the back of my mind I couldn't help but wonder if this was the one and only time we would be together like this. The naval headquarters seemed to like to keep us in two pairs. We were the only fast battleships in the fleet so there was a lot for us to do. A lot that the slower dreadnoughts couldn't do. That was something that we took pride in. We may not be battlecruisers anymore, but we were still fast battleships, and that made us better than the 'battle barges'. Battle barge…that's something Haruna of all people came up with. Quiet, polite Haruna had a sharp wit hidden below the surface.

Even as we joked and told stories about all that had happened since we had last spoken to the others, I found myself unable to fully engage in the experience. I had too much on my mind and it made me feel like my smile and laugh were false even as I tried to make them real. I wanted it to be real for them. I was the big sister after all, and they needed me to be genuine with them. It would make me a pretty terrible big sister if I let my own issues affect them. This might be one of the last times they were truly happy after all. So I did my best to make it special for them, even giving in to their insistent begging that I use my singing voice. They were the one audience I would give into.

The preparations for the war were well underway when I arrived in Sasebo in October, not that anyone but the highest-ranking officers knew exactly what was being prepared for. After all, operational security for so many simultaneous operations had to be maintained up to the last possible moment to ensure total surprise and success.

The American Pacific Fleet had been moved to Pearl Harbor the year prior not long after the United States had cut Japan off from certain vital military resources. The battle line, the carriers, and all their support and auxiliary ships. It had been eighteen years since I had met Paul Jones and while the destroyer had been lacking any social grace, I had no ill will towards her, towards American ships, towards America in any way at all. In that ever more distant past life, America had been my home. But America wasn't my home anymore, was it? My home in this life was the nation that would bring war to America with sudden and deliberate surprise.

I could easily imagine how I would feel in their place. I didn't take much to myself in their shoes. I just had to picture if it were my three sisters…Hiei, Kirishima, and Haruna who were sitting at anchor in Pearl Harbor. I would be enraged and I would want revenge. They would want revenge just as much as the rest of America would. More so probably. It was going to be very personal for them…Pennsylvania was going to watch her only sister turn into a volcano in a few months. What was that going to do to her? I'd had almost three decades to prepare myself for Kirishima and Hiei's deaths at Guadalcanal and even with all that I knew that all the forewarning in the world wasn't going to matter. I knew it was going to hit me like an eighteen-wheeler. Pennsylvania would have no warning, there would be no decades to try and mentally prepare herself for it. I felt for her. I felt for them all. I knew they would hate me just as much as the rest of the Imperial Japanese Navy. It was all too easy for me to understand that. A sleeping giant and its terrible resolve.

On the 29th of November, Haruna and I, forming BatDiv 3's second group, were attached to Vice Admiral Kondo Nobutake's Southern Malay Force Main Body. Admiral Kondo was one of my many former captains so it was interesting to have him back on board. He certainly seemed to be pleased to go to war onboard the ship that once had been his.

The ships that made up the rest of the Main Force were the cruisers Atago, Takao, and Maya, along with the destroyers Arashi, Hagikaze, Akatsuki, Hatakaze, Nowaki, Maikaze, Michishio, and Hibiki. The two sisters Atago and Takao, despite the similarities in their outfits, couldn't have looked more different than if they had tried. Long blonde hair and green eyes for Atago and short black hair and red eyes for Takao. Another one of the strange things about our existence. I couldn't help but wonder how the Imperial Japanese Navy would react if it learned that many of its ships didn't have the traditional Japanese look. I knew I would never get to know but it was an amusing thought.

On the 2nd of December, the Main Force had the fateful words transmitted to it, 'Niitakayama nobore'...Climb Mount Niitaka. Offensive operations would begin against the British, Dutch, and Americans in five days. Hiei and Kirishima were out there somewhere in the mid pacific, escorting the six carriers that would carry out the attack on Pearl Harbor which would turn the wars that had been waging in China and Europe and Africa into a single and truly global conflict.

Five days until war and three years until my second death.

On the 4th of December, the Main Force departed south from Mako to provide cover for the invasion of Malay. The British battleship and battlecruiser that were at Singapore to act as an overestimated deterrent were a threat that needed to be eliminated for the invasion to go ahead on schedule. Repulse and Prince of Wales…I had never met them, but Repulse was old enough that she could have met Princess Royal or Reşadiye. My British friends who were long gone, victims of a treaty meant to preserve peace. A peace that was never going to be preserved.

On the 8th of December Tokyo time, and the 7th of December Honolulu time, the conflagration became global.

AN: Another chapter done after a bit of a late night editing crunch and we see things move ever closer to the conclusion of this part of the story. As always I hope you all enjoy this chapter.

Last edited:
Back