The Cats Came Back Again: The Series (All Outta Bubblegum)

Hoshino Yumemi

A Few Bulbs Short Of A Planetarium
...oh boy, I'm not sure why I'm doing this again...

Actually, no, I do. It's that rather than play around with systems that didn't exactly work out too well for a really fast, loose comedy RP themed around surprisingly badass cats, I should probably just keep using the system that, all things considered, only didn't work because I didn't pace things that well. That was kinda on me as the narrator.

So, I'm back, running more episodic AoB games on the idea that all the players are cats that hang out together and help two bakers, a mother-daughter duo named Honey and "Kid" Gold, run a cat cafe.

Except, well, we already did the cat cafe story, so now each AoB run is just going to be a wild, wacky episode somewhere in the world the cats are going, and adventure breaks out. Think if Platinum Games wrote a season of Courage the Cowardly Dog, that's the feel.

What is All Outta Bubblegum? It's dead simple, actually:

There is only one stat and resource in the whole game: Bubblegum. All players start with 8 pieces of it, and use it to do one of two things.

If a player wants to do something perfectly mundane, they have to roll a d10 to match or get under their current Gum score. If they succeed, they do that action and that's the end of it. Should they fail, they lose a piece of Gum.

On the other hand, if a player wants to kick ass or do something in a kickass manner, they have to roll a d10 to match or get over their current Gum score. Same rules apply: succeed and the action goes through. Fail and you lose a piece of Gum.

You can also attack other players, or the GM can run attacks against you, by declaring a kickass roll and having both players roll a d10. The first person to succeed in landing a kickass roll, or the one who rolled higher should both rolls succeed, wins the exchange and the loser must forfeit a piece of Gum.

Finally, you can spend a piece of Gum to automatically succeed at an action.

You see where this is going. The more Gum you lose, the easier it becomes to do kickass things, but the harder it becomes to do the mundane. Should you get attacked with 1 Gum left, you are All Outta Bubblegum™ and you can no longer perform anything mundane, while kickass actions automatically succeed.

Now, this is bad as well as good. See, when you're All Outta Bubblegum, anybody can roll a kickass roll to get you out of a scene. Should somebody roll a 10 on you, you're knocked around or knocked out or whatever's most appropriate for the scene. Either way, you are defeated and stay down until I say you can get back up. If it's a bad guy or the like, it may take more than one 10 to put them out of action.

And, well, that's it.

Who's up for one more ride in a faster-paced, NOW more episodic cat game that...won't get away from me this time?

Last edited:
Just describe your cat, gimme their name, and maybe a quick bio/rundown of their personality. Then once the IC thread is up you can just post and play.

Say, I'm a little hesitant to post like this to drum up attention but I'll need some answers for this.

I figured it'd be a good idea to ask what good setting would be for the first "episode" of, well, episodic AoB roleplays. Every time one is ended, we'll reset for the next one with everyone restarting with eight Gum, unless they'd like to start with one more or one less or...something like that.

So what would be a good place to start? There's already been the mall, and the traffic jam kinda fell flat.

My suggestions are this: out at sea, a tall building in the big city, or deep in the forest.

Forests have other critters to interact with. :)

After the first thread, I think I would only participate if it's a fandom setting I enjoy though, not just random location. I already got a decent amount of cat-saturation from that first thread. =/

I've got an idea; if you want a fandom setting, how about if we set it that the cats somehow get separated for a little while from Honey and Kid and wander through some woods until they wound up somehow in the butt end of Kokiri Forest? Plenty of opportunities for mundane and badass things to happen and lots of friendly and unfriendly critters to interact with.

I've got an idea; if you want a fandom setting, how about if we set it that the cats somehow get separated for a little while from Honey and Kid and wander through some woods until they wound up somehow in the butt end of Kokiri Forest? Plenty of opportunities for mundane and badass things to happen and lots of friendly and unfriendly critters to interact with.

I like it!

Back