The Arrangement (Trails of Cold Steel)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Laura encounters a problem she never expected when she finds out that requests have been made for her hand in marriage, and turns to Rean for help. Rean being Rean, he accepts he somewhat unconventional idea.
Chapter 1 - The Proposal
Chapter 1 - The Proposal

Free time has become an enemy for Laura over the last couple of weeks, extended periods of inactivity giving her mind plenty of opportunity to turn inwards. Right now for example she sits on the sofa in the third dormitory common room staring blankly at the table. Swimming club had effectively been cancelled, with even Monica being unable to attend. Her cup of tea sits on the table before her, untouched and having long grown cold, as she contemplates a subject she'd really rather not. With everything that had happened at Garrelia Fortress she had been able to put it out of her mind for a while, but settling back into her school routine had brought it roaring back.

She sighs heavily. Regardless of her distaste of the topic at hand, it is something that deserves serious consideration, especially if she wishes to avoid being locked into an unfortunate fate.

To that end she has come up with one idea, although even to her it seems a bit rash, a move born of desperation. Then again it also seems like a far better option than the ones given to her, and whilst no explicit deadline had been set, and her father had made his own distaste for things known, she still feels like the clock is running short for her to make her own choice.

"Laura?"

She blinks, her eyes suddenly focusing as she returns to the world around her. Raising her head she sees Rean standing there, concern obvious on his face.

"Oh Rean," she says. "My apologies, I didn't notice you return."

"Yeah, I'm not surprised," he replies. "You seemed really out of it."

"I'm fine, just lost in thought," she says. "Although..."

"Although?" he prompts.

She feels a brief second of hesitation but quickly shakes it off, there's no one else in the dorm at the moment apart from Sharon, there would be no better time than now. Yes, just a simple conversation with Rean and she can decide on where to go from there.

"There is something I'd like to discuss with you," she says. "It concerns our status as nobles."

"Oh, what is it?" he asks.

She shakes her head. Even if everyone else was out, she didn't want to risk them coming home early and interrupting them.

"Not here," she answers. "Let's take this somewhere private."

Only the prospect of this conversation seems a lot less simple as they begin to walk, her stomach twisting and turning on itself as she leads him up the stairs. It's utterly bizarre, she can't remember ever feeling so nervous. All of the enemies and monsters she's faced, and this is what makes her feel so out of sorts? Well, she supposes that she doesn't have much experience in this arena.

"This is your room," Rean says, as she opens the door to allow him inside.

Laura turns to face him, and she can't help but notice his posture seems a little stiff.

"Yes," she says. "Are you alright?"

Rean just smiles and scratches at the back of his head.

"Ah," he replies. "I guess I'm just not used to being in a girl's room."

Despite his apparent misgivings he enters anyway, and Laura closes the door behind him.

"I understand," she replies. "But I thought it would be the best place for us to get some privacy."

"That's true I guess," he says. "So, what did you want to talk to me about? You said it somehow relates to being a noble."

Laura's stomach tightens almost painfully, and she feels the heat rising in her cheeks as she walks over to her desk. Briefly she tries to come up with some delicate way to approach the subject, some way to lead them into the conversation naturally. The seconds tick by and nothing occurs to her, and she can feel Rean staring at her as he waits for her explanation. In the end she elects to be straightforward, and cut straight to the heart of the matter.

"Rean, I need you to marry me!" she declares.

Rean doesn't respond immediately, in fact he doesn't do much of anything. He just stands there, his face oddly blank, and his eyes glazed over as he seems to stare right through her.

For a moment she's afraid that she's broken him.

Then his eyes focus and he's looking at her again, he smiles, but it's a little strained.

"I'm sorry, I must have drifted off," he says. "Because I thought you just said something outrageous."

Laura wants to look away, but she forces herself to keep meeting his gaze.

"Perhaps I should explain," she suggests.

"That might be a good idea," he agrees.

"Well, when we visited Legram on our last field trip my father made me aware of some things," she explains. "Including..."

She pulls open her desk drawer, removes the bundle of letters inside, and places it down on the smooth oak surface. She handles the letters cautiously, almost as though she's expecting them to turn around and bite her. She's not sure how to feel about them to be quite honest. Some people might say that she should be flattered, but she has honestly just found the whole experience disconcerting. She remembers the first one she read went straight into the fire.

"These are..." she begins. "These are letters requesting my hand in marriage."

Rean just stares at the stack of papers.

"All of them?" he asks.

"Yes," she answers. "And there are even more. I received the first in my mail box here at the dorm not long after our field trip to Celdic, and there have been more since. I spoke to my father about them when we stayed at my home, and apparently he has been receiving such letters for the last couple of years. However, the ones addressed directly to me are... Well, see for yourself."

She removes one of the letters from the bundle, and hands it to him.

Laura watches as he reads the letter, she feels a strange tension, like a weird itch under her skin. Although, she does draw some amusement as his eyebrows rise higher and higher with every second.

"Is he describing his -"

"Yes, yes he is," she interjects. Why hadn't she burned that one?

"I assume it's a grossly embellished and exaggerated description," she continues.

"If it's not then he should probably see a doctor," Rean responds.

She nods. She's not had any experience with such things, but what had been written there clearly could not be right.

"So," Rean says. "Your response to all these was to try and marry me?"

Laura feels her stomach twist again. When she had first seen these letters she had felt a sense of claustrophobia, like she had suddenly realised she was working against the clock and time was quickly running out.

"I did write back to the first handful, declining their offers," she says. "However, that does not seem to have dissuaded anyone. I merely thought that if I was already betrothed to someone else, then that would send a clear message."

Rean hums.

"That does have a certain logic to it," he admits.

"Yes," Laura replies, sounding more eager than she'd intended. "And the betrothal can be broken later if needs be. Once my father returns, or I get a better grasp of the situation."

"Okay," Rean says. "But why me?"

Laura can't help but smile at the question. She could probably give him a whole list of reason why he was a suitable candidate, but it would be best to keep it simple for now.

"Well," she replies. "Of all my close friends only a handful are male, and only two of them are nobility."

"Okay," Rean says. "But what about Jusis? Wouldn't he be a better choice? His family are higher ranked than mine."

"Well, that's because..."

I prefer that it be you.

The words catch in her throat, so instead she says.

"Given who his father is, such a union would be unwise."

Rean nods.

"That's true," he says. "The Albarea family is pretty complicated."

"There's that," Laura says. "But there's also the fact that my father and Duke Albarea don't like each other very much."

"I'm sorry," Rean replies. "I didn't know."

Laura just shakes her head.

"It's not common knowledge," she tells him.

Suddenly Rean freezes and stares into space, as though something has just occurred to him.

"Wait, this isn't what Duke Cayenne came to see your father about while we were there, is it?" he asks.

Now it's Laura's turn to frown, as she feels the wave of revulsion wash over her.

"Goddess, I hope not," she says.

She takes another deep breath. Leaving Duke Cayenne aside for the moment, there's one more subject she needs to discuss with him, and she's not sure how he will take it. She doesn't have much experience with men, or any at all really, but she doesn't imagine that many would agree to it.

"There is one more thing," she says.

"What is it?" Rean asks.

"I'm my father's only heir," she answers. "So if it does come to an actual marriage, then I would like to request, that you take my name."

There's a beat, a single moment that seems to last forever. She's not sure how Rean will take that, she doesn't have much experience with men but she doubts many would agree to such a request, it is quite uncommon.

Then Rean chuckles softly, and places a hand gently on her shoulder.

"That's fine," he replies. "Your family outranks mine anyway."

Laura smiles, as she feels a rare flicker of mischief inside of her. She lowers herself onto one knee, and gently takes hold of his hand; the way his grey eyes widen at her actions is very amusing.

"So, Rean Schwarzer," she says. "Will you marry me?"

Rean averts his gaze, and she can actually see his cheeks turning red. It makes a feel something she'll contemplate later, when she's alone.

"Okay, I'll do it," he replies. "If it'll keep you from getting more letters like this."

He waves his other hand, the one still holding the letter.

Laura smiles brightly, and the strange mix of emotions inside her chest is almost indescribable, with relief most prominent amongst them. Almost without intending to she rose to her feet, and threw her arms around his shoulders, enveloping her new fiancé in a hug.

"Thank you," she whispers.

She almost laughs at the way he stiffens under her touch, before he lightly wraps his arms around her shoulders.

"You're, um, welcome," he replies.

- - -​

Unfortunately, Laura nerves return later on that evening. The entirety of Class Seven is gathered around their dining table in the kitchen of the third dormitory, and the sound of their voices as they laugh and joke with each other should raise her spirits; it represents a sort of camaraderie that she'd never known she'd wanted before attending Thors. She can pick out the individual voices of Jusis trying to stop Millium playing with her food, of Machias discussing the day's lessons with Emma, and Gaius and Elliot comparing different musical traditions.

The scene is almost perfect.

Yet here she is, virtually chugging her water like she has an unquenchable thirst in a vain attempt to settle her nerves. She wonders if her father ever felt like this when he was first engaged to her mother? She's never thought to ask.

She wonders when will be the best moment to break the news? It is something that she and Rean decided on earlier, that regardless of when the official announcement was made, their friends should know immediately. These people who had stuck by them through hell and high water deserve no less.

Eventually the main meal is finished, and everyone is indulging in desert, and Laura knows the time has come.

Rean must have had the same thought, for he catches her eye as soon as she turns towards him. Laura gives him a almost imperceptible nod, takes a deep breath, and begins to stand up. Rean too pushes his chair back and rises to his feet, removing himself from his conversation with Crow to stand beside her. As he takes his place, beside her she can suddenly feel all of the eyes on them.

He gives her another nod, and she takes another breath as she prepares herself. She'd insisted on handling this herself, or she would try to anyway, it had been her idea after all.

To that end she coughs into her hand and steels herself.

"Everyone," she begins. "Rean and I have something to tell you all."

"Finally," Instructor Sara says, sighing. "You two have been giving each other significant looks all night. You're not pregnant are you?"

Instructor Sara's tone is flippant, clearly not serious, but that doesn't stop the blood from rushing to Laura's face. She glances over at Rean, and finds that he's already massaging the bridge of his nose.

A promising start.

"Of course not," she answers, fighting to keep her voice steady.

"Oh good," the instructor replies. "I can't even imagine the lecture the vice principal would give me if one of my students got knocked up right under my nose."

Rean sighs.

"Of course that would be your priority," he says.

Instructor Sara just smiles at him.

"So what's the big news?" Fie asks.

Laura is immensely grateful towards the smaller girl, and she sweeps her gaze across the table, taking in all of the other as they stare back awaiting her answer.

"A-Actually," she says. "Instructor Sara may not have been as far off as you think."

She's not ashamed to say that she draws some satisfaction from the way the smile just drops off of the woman's face.

"Rean and I," she continues. "Are engaged."

Her words seem to echo through the room as everything goes incredibly quiet and still, and every member of the class stares at them with wide eyes. It's actually incredibly eerie, she had actually been expecting to be bombarded with questions or something, in fact she might have preferred that.

Then Crow sticks his fingers in his mouth, and wolf-whistles.

"Go Rean!" he says. "You guys really kept that on the down low. I didn't even realise the two of you were a thing."

"Well, we weren't until about three hours ago," Rean replies.

Crow laughs.

"Oh man," he says. "You work fast. Maybe I should be taking notes? Then again, I have no intention of settling down any time soon."

"Wait, I'm confused. If the two of you weren't dating, then how are you engaged?" Elliot asks.

"I would assume there were political considerations," Jusis offers.

Laura inclines her head.

"You would be correct for the most part," she replies.

Jusis returns her nod, accepting the explanation as though it's the most natural thing in the world.

Machias however, sighs heavily.

"A political marriage," he mutters.

"For nobles romantic attachments aren't always the most important part of deciding a marriage, in fact they usually aren't," Jusis explains.

"I know that!" Machias replies, irritably.

Suddenly Laura is forcibly reminded of the story Machias told them during their trip to Heimdallr, about his sister and her noble lover. She glances over towards Rean, and from the wide-eyed expression on his face she assumes that he has come to the same conclusion. She quickly tries to come-up with a way to change the course of the conversation before it can delve any deeper down that rabbit hole, but comes up blank.

Fortunately, there's no need, as Millium almost literally jumps to their rescue.

"Hey! There's usually cake at a wedding, right?" she asks.

"There is," Rean confirms. "But the actual wedding won't be for a while yet, we both need to graduate first."

"Boo!" Millium whines, as she flops back into her seat.

"Regardless," Jusis says. "Allow me to be the first to offer my heartfelt congratulations."

The noble boy actually rises from his seat, and walks around the table shake both of their hands.

Almost as though he doesn't want to be shown up, Machias is soon standing too.

"And me," he says. "As long as this is something the two of you chose for yourselves, then you won't hear me raise a word against it."

Soon enough the entirety of Class Seven are on their feet, and Laura finds herself shaking hands with everyone.

There is however, one notable exception to this. Alisa is still in her seat, staring up at the two of them with wide-eyes as though she is lost in her own thoughts.

"Alisa?" Laura asks, walking over to where the other girl is sat.

The blonde blinks several times in quick succession as her eyes refocus.

"Are you okay?"

Alisa offers her a smile, but there's something not quite right about it.

"Yeah, sorry," she replies. "It was just really sudden, you know? I think I'm kinda tired too, I should probably head to bed."

She draws Laura into a very brief, very light hug, then takes a step back.

"Anyway, congratulations," she says.

Then just like that she's gone.

Sharon quickly makes to follow her out the room, but before she disappears she turns and curtsies.

"Lady Laura, Master Rean, congratulations," she says. She too offers them a smile, but it's a weak, sad thing.

Unfortunately, Laura doesn't get a chance to contemplate the meaning of this before being drawn back in by the others.

Half an hour later finds both Laura and Rean on the couches in the common room. She allows herself to recline into the soft cushions, and stares up at the ceiling; she feels exhausted, she never knew a simple conversation could take so much out of her.

She hears a chuckle, and turns her head to see Rean smiling at her.

"Well," he begins. "That went well."

"Indeed," she replies. "I was expecting that we would have to do a lot more explaining."

"Oh don't worry, you will."

And suddenly instructor Sara is there, perched on the arm of the couch, and smiling at them a little too brightly.

"But not tonight, it's getting late," she says. "So congratulations you two, now get yourselves to bed, you've got combat training tomorrow."

Their teacher stands up, and heads towards stairs. Suddenly she stops, and looks back at them over her shoulder, a mischievous smile on her face.

"In your own beds if you don't mind," she says. "Engaged or not, they'll be no hanky-panky as long as you're living under my roof."

Laura can feel her face burn, and she hears Rean splutter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Author's Note: As always, I appreciate any comments or criticism people may have.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's kind of weird. From what I understand Laura is one of the most popular of Rean's potential love interests in the west, if not the most popular, but she gets almost no art or fanfiction about her.
Yeah Laura is best girl, I see a ton of Alisa fics though, and some Fie stories. Laura only has only a few people writing for her.

Man, Cold Steel. Been a while since I played the first game. I remember loving Trials in the Sky. The best coherent story in a JRPG ever. Loved the world-building and characters so much.

Cold Steel was similar and more ambitious but it felt the most... generic in its characters. Not to say its bad. The intrigue was so interesting and world-building was on point. It's just the MC is so much like any other MC in a JRPG. I'd rather he had a more distinct personality but I guess you can't really replicate Estelle and Joshua's dynamic.

My personal favourite characters were Laura as a character, Towa with her dynamic with the MC which surprised me with their chemistry and for the design was Emma. Really wanted more in the first game for her story.

Chapter 2 - School Life
Chapter 2 - School Life

Laura's body cuts through the smooth surface of the water like a knife, and she glides through the pool like drag and water resistance are for people other than her.

She feels a lot lighter today somehow, her whole body moves much more easiHer hand slaps against the smooth tiles at the end of the pool, and a smile breaks out across her face. She pushes herself away from the wall, and allows herself to drift backwards. She floats on her back and stares up at the ceiling as she allows her thoughts to wander.

She supposes that her concern over the whole betrothal affair had been weighing on her more than she thought. Certainly she had felt immensely relieved when Rean had accepted her own proposal, even more so when most of their friends had accepted her their situation so easily. She had slept extremely well last night, and she had awoken feeling a lot more well-rested than she had for the past couple of weeks. Enough so that she's come down to the gym early to get in some swimming practice before classes start. That she'd gotten the whole pool to herself was a nice start to what looked to be a promising day.

The smile fades from her face, and she frowns as she thinks about the other members of Class Seven.

She may not be the most educated girl when it comes to the intricacies of social interaction, but even she can tell that the congratulations Alisa had offered her had been half-hearted at best. She can easily recall the dispirited expression on her friend's face, and the way she had quickly excused herself from the room. The obvious concern Sharon had shown for her mistress only made her more concerned.

A thoughtful hum emanates from her throat as she continues to float on the surface of the water.

Should she speak with Alisa about what's troubling her, as it obviously connects with her betrothal to Rean? Or would it be better to give her some space for now?

Before she can answer that question she hears the clack and groan of a door opening, and when she rights herself she sees a familiar figure walking towards the pool.

"Good morning, Monica," she says.

Monica stares back at her, and Laura can immediately tell that something is amiss. The other girl's whole body is awkwardly stiff, her muscles tense; but it's not like she's scared or anything, rather, it's more like she is desperately trying to hold something in.

"Good morning, Laura," Monica replies, her voice sounding oddly strained.

Laura just watches as the other girl sits at the edge of the pool, and gently lowers herself into the water.

"Monica," she says, eventually. "Is something wrong?"

"Well, no," Monica answers. "It's just... I'm not sure how to say it, but, congratulations!"

The other girl practically squeals the last word, a noise so shrill that it pierces Laura's ears straight through to the centre of her head. It leaves her utterly defenceless as Monica launches herself forward, and envelopes her in a tight hug. An effective attack, she'll have to develop countermeasures against something like that in the future.

Then all thoughts regarding the sudden physical intimacy are wiped from her head, when Monica's words register in her mind.

It feels like her blood turns to ice, as a feeling of dread suddenly washes over her.

"What did you say?" she asks.

Monica pulls back, smiling so brightly it almost makes Laura feel a little guilty for how negatively she reacted.

"Congratulations," Monica says, again. "On your engagement."

For just a second Laura isn't sure how to respond, the gears of her brain grind to a halt, and she just stands stock still in the middle of the pool.

"Um, did I say something wrong?" Monica asks.

Laura blinks, more than anything it's the timid tone of the girl's voice dragging her back to reality, and the guilty look on her face. However word of this got out, it's not Monica's fault. Therefore she should just accept her words in the spirit they were offered, and respond with equal courtesy. So she forces herself to smile, and inclines her head in acknowledgement.

"No, of course not," she answers. "Thank you for your kind words. It's just, if you don't mind me asking, where did you hear of it?"

To her relief the smile returns to Monica's face, as she replies:

"Oh, I overheard a couple of the girls from class two talking about it."

Laura's stomach absolutely plummets as her worst fears are seemingly confirmed. Suddenly she feels extremely agitated, the lightness she been enjoying just moments earlier having completely evaporated, to be replace by a heavy weight pushing down on her shoulders. She tries to maintain her smile for Monica's sake, but she finds her facial muscles are now a lot less co-operative.

"I see," she says. "Well, with that out of the way, would you care to swim some laps before classes start."

Monica nods, enthusiastically.

"Sure thing!"

Good, maybe she can burn off some of this nervous energy.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work, and as the day wears on it only seems to get worse. It's like a spring that's coiled inside of her, winding tighter and tighter until it feels like it might burst free at any moment. It's only the discipline that comes from years of training that allows her to keep her cool, and prevents her from snapping at someone who probably doesn't deserve it.

Almost as soon as the bell rings to signal the end of home-room, Laura rises from her seat and marches over to Rean's desk. The others give them curious looks as they pass by, but the two of them just wave them off.

"I take it this is about the "rumour" going around school?" he asks.

"Yes," she replies. "I have to admit, I wasn't expecting it to spread so far before classes even started."

Rean sighs, and leans back in his seat.

"I was planning to send a letter to my parents once class let out," he says. "Hopefully it'll reach them before the rumours do."

Laura nods.

"Yes," she responds. "I posted a letter to my father on my way to school this morning. It was fortunate that I decided not to tarry."

It's hard to imagine the news reaching her father's ears before her letter does, especially since Legram is relatively remote by most standards. However, if there's one thing she's learnt since beginning her education at Thors it's that rumours tend to spread like wildfire, especially where teenagers are concerned. A malicious rumour can cross the length and breadth of the Empire before the truth is even whispered.

"I feel like I must apologise to you both, for that."

Both Laura and Rean turn their heads, and see that they're not quite alone after all. Jusis is still standing by his desk, and as he speaks he begins to approach them.

"Jusis?" Laura asks. "What do you mean?"

The blonde boy sighs, and runs a hand through his hair before answering.

"I underestimated just how loose Millium's lips are," he explains. "I did endeavour to stop her, but by the time I found her she was sitting in the middle of Kirsche's telling everyone the good news."

Both Laura and Rean groan almost simultaneously.

"That's not your fault, Jusis," Rean says. "We should have expected something like this."

"Indeed," Laura agrees. "We are well aware of Millium's lack of discretion at this point."

"Still," Jusis replies. "I feel like I should have tried harder to stop her."

Laura opens her mouth to reassure Jusis some more, but she falls silent when a new voice enters the conversation.

"Are the three of you still here?"

Both of the students turn, to find their instructor standing in the doorway to the classroom. The older woman is leaning almost casually against the door frame, her arms folded over her chest. Laura isn't sure she likes the expression on her face, her narrowed eyes and wolfish grin make her look quite predatory.

Before either of them can say anything, Instructor Valestein pushes herself away from the door frame and takes a step forward. She places a hand on her chest, and when she speaks her voice is high-pitch, a mocking tone of faux-surprise.

"Don't tell me the two of you are planning to skip club practice and have a little tryst?" she says. "For shame! I expected better of you two!"

The sarcasm in the older woman's voice is obvious, but all the same Laura can feel the heat rising in her cheeks. The mere suggestion that she would be so shameless as to shirk her duties to do something like that, and that she would do it in the middle of school, it really gets under her skin. She may know that the instructor is just teasing, yet she feels compelled to defend both her own honour, and Rean's.

"No," she stutters, proud of how firm her voice sounds. "No, we weren't doing anything of the sort. Besides which, Jusis is also here!"

Instructor Valestein releases an incredibly false gasp of surprise, and places a hand against her chest in faux-shock.

"A ménage-à-trois?!" she exclaims. "Laura! I never took you for that kind of girl!"

If Laura's face was burning before, it feels like it's on fire now. She opens her mouth to respond, but all that comes out is an incomprehensible spluttering. It doesn't help that her instructor's words conjure some exceedingly lascivious images in her imagination, images that she swiftly crushes with all of the mental strength she can muster.

"Don't bother, Laura," Rean says. "Anything you say will only encourage her."

It's oddly soothing just how strained his voice sounds.

Looking over at him Laura can see his own eyes have narrowed as he stares at their instructor in clear exasperation; although she can also see a slight shade of red in his cheeks, and is relieved that she wasn't the only one effected by the older woman's words.

"Mr. Schwarzer, you wound me!" Sara exclaims. "Have I ever done anything to deserve having such aspersions cast upon my character?"

"Yes," Rean replies, without hesitation.

The older woman opens her mouth again, but before she can say anything Jusis jumps in.

"If you'll excuse me," he says. "I believe I'll take my leave, before I get dragged into this idiocy any further."

His voice sounds completely normal, but as he walks away Laura can see that his cheeks are a bright red.

"Alright, you're dismissed," Instructor Sara responds. "It's these two I need to speak to anyway."

Then she turns back to the two remaining students, and the fox-like grin on her face promises some kind of mischief.

Laura clears her throat, giving herself a second to try and calm herself.

"Is there something you needed instructor?" she asks.

She tries to keep her tone as respectful as possible, and hopes their instructor doesn't take it as an invitation to make more inappropriate comments.

"Oh, it's nothing much," she replies. "I've just made my two favourite students a couple of appointments with Doctor Beatrix."

Laura lifts an eyebrow.

"Instructor Beatrix?" she echoes. "Why? Neither of us are sick or injured."

"Oh, it's more preventative than anything," she answers. "Given your situation, I asked the good doctor give you a lesson on the finer points of human biology."

Laura's eyes go wide as she realises where instructor Sara is going with this, and the blood rushes to her face once more. For a second she actual feels dizzy, and she thinks that she might actually faint if instructor Sara keeps blind-siding her like this. She hears Rean take a deep breath behind her, letting her know that he's just as surprised by this as she is.

"Um," he begins, hurriedly. "Instructor I really don't think they'll be any need for that. My parents already gave me that talk years ago."

"As did mine," Laura says.

Indeed, it's the only time she can recall her father looking so clearly out of his element. She can still remember his face going ghostly white, when she came to him in tears after getting her first period.

"I'm sure they did," Instructor Sara replies. "But while you're at the academy you're my responsibility. Which means I want to make absolutely sure that everything is taken care of!"

She gives them both of them a sweet smile, but Laura thinks it might be one of the most sadistic expressions she's ever seen.

So, not long after that she finds herself sitting in front of the desk in Instructor Beatrix's office.

She just sits there watching, as the kindly old woman goes about preparing a cup of tea. Honestly, it's absurd how uncomfortable she feels, like a child about to receive a lecture from her grandmother. She focuses on her breathing to keep herself calm, as she waits for the older woman to begin. Eventually, Instructor Beatrix returns to her seat, and sets two cups of tea down on the desk in front of them.

"There we go," she says.

"Thank you," Laura replies.

The older woman takes a sip of her tea, and Laura follows suit. It's a little sweeter than she normally likes, but other than that it's actually pretty nice.

"First of all," Intructor Beatrix says. "I believe congratulations are in order."

"Thank you," Laura replies.

There's something about the warm, genial tone of the older woman's voice, that makes her congratulations seem like less of a formality than it may have with other doctors.

"Here, something to commemorate the occasion," Instructor Beatrix continues.

She places several small packets on the table between them, and Laura picks one up to get a better look at it. What ever it is, it is small, thin, and light. It takes her a second, but her mind eventually recognises what she's looking at, and when she does she feels the blood drain from her face.

"What is it?" she asks.

"A condom," the instructor answers.

Laura clears her throat, as she carefully places the packet back down on the table.

"Thank you," she says again. "But I don't think I'll have need of these for the moment."

The older woman smirks as she sips her tea.

"Oh really?" she says. "You mean to say that you don't find your new fiancé attractive?"

Laura almost chokes on her drink, and quickly sets the cup down before she spills the tea everywhere. Well, of course she finds Rean attractive! She's seen him in his swim trunks during their swimming classes, she's well aware of how toned he is! Although, she actually prefers his face; his expressive lilac eyes, and his jet-black hair that looks so smooth and soft...

The blue-haired girl quickly grabs her tea again, and raises it to her lips as she tries to reign in her thoughts.

Well, as physically attractive as he may be, that's not what makes him an appropriate partner. Aside from being from a noble house, he's also quite kind and considerate, even if he does come across as being a little too soft sometimes. He can also be a little dense on occasion, but that is offset by how genuinely earnest he is. On a personal level, she thinks their personalities are compatible, and they seem to have similar outlooks on life. The fact that he also walks the path of the sword is just another point in his favour.

It's why when the prospect of marriage had been raised to her, Rean had immediately leapt to the forefront of her mind.

"Ah, I recognise that look," Instructor Beatrix says. "A young woman in love."

The sound of the old woman's voice drags Laura from her thoughts, and the colour returns to her cheeks with a vengeance. Belatedly, she realises at some point that a smile had crept its way onto her face without her noticing. She takes another sip of her tea, and takes a moment to regain her composure.

Instructor Beatrix just chuckles.

"There's no need to be so embarrassed," she says. "I was once much the same, believe it or not."

Laura nods her head, although it's more of an automatic action than anything. Logically she knows that Instructor Beatrix must have been young once, and that she probably saw her fair share of romance. That said, looking at the older woman now she finds it quite hard to imagine. She supposes it's the same thing that makes it difficult to imagine her father as a young boy holding a sword for the first time; or a young man meeting his own future wife for the first time...

Huh.

"Still, it's good to see you've made a good match," Instructor Beatrix says. "Some noble girls simply have to play the hand they're dealt, so to speak."

Laura nods again, but this time she fully understands. Part of what had motivated her to propose to Rean had been to avoid a match she would less than pleased with, after all.

"Well, I..." she begins. "I made my own match."

"Really," Instructor Beatrix responds. "Now that is surprising. Very few noble fathers would allow that."

Laura feels her stomach tighten. Her father doesn't actually know about this yet, so she can't truthfully say that she has his approval. However, she knows that he likes Rean, and he has always made sure to consider her feelings when making decisions regarding her. She's sure that even if he has something to say about this, that he will give weight to her opinion.

"I am aware," she replies. "That I am very lucky to have the father I have."

And not just because he is the Radiant Blademaster.

"Well, moving on," Instructor Beatrix says. "Your instructor asked me to have a little discussion with you, in light of your current circumstance. However, I assume that by this point you already have a good grasp of the basic of being a young woman? Hygiene and such?"

Laura inclines her head, and tries her best not to be insulted by the question. She reminds herself that Instructor Beatrix is just trying to be thorough.

"Of course," she answers.

"Good," she says. "Then we'll stick to topics that are directly relevant."

Laura clears her throat.

"As I told Instructor Sara," she says. "That my father has already had this talk with me."

"As any good parent should," the instructor replies, firmly. "However, and forgive my saying so, he is neither a woman or a doctor. So there may have been something he overlooked. I would be remiss in my duty if I did not make sure."

Laura wants to argue, but even though her tone is still cordial, it's still pretty clear that the older woman will brook no argument.

"Now," Instructor Beatrix continues. "Are you aware of the ovulation cycle?"

"I – I am aware of it," Laura replies.

Instructor Beatrix nods.

"Good," she says. "Then you know that this is the time when a woman is most likely to get pregnant. What you may not know, is that ovulation occurs about ten-to-sixteen days before your period. Although, while we're on the subject, a man's sperm can survive for up to seven days after sex. So pretty much any time of the month can be risky."

Laura hums, just to show that she listening.

"I assume that you're not planning to have children at this point?"

"No, of course not," Laura answers.

"Then you might want to keep hold of these. After all, it's better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them," Instructor Beatrix says.

The indicates the packets of condoms that lay on the table between them, and this time Laura takes them without a word.

By the time they are finally finished the sky outside the window is dyed the deep orange of sunset, and Laura feels exhausted. To say that Instructor Beatrix is thorough in her work would be an understatement. The blue-haired girl manages to maintain her composure until she steps back out into the hallway and the door clicks closed behind her, and then she releases a heavy sigh.

"That bad, huh?"

She raises her head, and sees Rean leaning against the wall by the faculty office. He smiles at her, and she manages to give a small smile in reply. Although, given the things she had just been discussing with the instructor, it makes it somewhat difficult to stare him in the eyes, and she's suddenly very away of the packets in her pocket. She manages it, but only because she's had years of practise with not allowing her emotions to control her.

"Not too bad," she replies. "Just exhausting. Instructor Beatrix was very thorough with her explanations. Although, I suppose I did learn a couple of useful pieces of information."

"Really?" Rean asks.

"Instructor Beatrix is a doctor," Laura explains. "So she does have a different way of looking at things than my father did."

"Huh, I guess that makes sense," he replies. "Well, I suppose I'll find out for myself soon enough."

Laura smirks.

"If just talking about this is enough to undo you," she says. "I fear for our future together."

Rean chuckles, and shakes his head.

"Yeah, you have a point," he replies. "Guess I'll have to be a big boy and suck it up."

Talking about "sucking" immediately reminds her of something Instructor Beatrix said, and Laura quickly averts her gaze as her cheeks burn. Unfortunately, this just causes Rean to become concerned, and he moves towards her, and she is suddenly keenly aware of his presence.

"You okay?" he asks.

"Yes," Laura replies, quickly. "Just a little tired."

"I see," Rean says. "Well, you don't have to wait for me. Go back to the dorm and I'll see you there later?"

Laura nods her head.

"Yes," she responds. "I think I'll do that. I shall see you at dinner."

"Okay," he says. "See you then. I guess I shouldn't keep Instructor Beatrix waiting any longer."

She gives him a smile and a nod, which he returns before heading in to the medical office. Laura heads towards the entrance, and unsurprisingly she finds that the building is almost completely empty, even the receptionist has gone home by this point. As such, the sound of her boots clacking against the stone floor echoes heavily through the corridor.

Once she gets outside she takes a deep breath, enjoying the taste of the fresh air, and raises her head towards the sky. Somehow, it makes her feel a lot lighter.

When she lowers her head again she finds another surprise, a familiar petite figure is standing by the main gate, seemingly waiting for her. The girl in question pushes herself away from the wall as she catches sight of her, and quickly steps forward.

"Fie?"

"Yo," Fie replies, flashing her a peace sign. "I heard what Sara did. Sucks."

Laura smiles.

"I think she was just trying to help, in her own way," she replies. "She is right when she says she's responsible for us whilst we are here."

Fie snorts.

"Doubtful," she says. "She probably just did it because it amused her. And probably 'cause you caught her off guard yesterday. Had to get her own back."

Laura frowns. She supposes that Fie knows the instructor better than any of them, but that seems awfully childish for someone of her age and station.

"Perhaps it's a bit of both?" she suggests.

Fie shrugs, and then chuckles.

"Mixing business with pleasure," she says. "Sounds like something she'd do. Anyway, want to get some tea or something before we go back to the dorm? My treat."

"You don't have to do that," Laura replies.

Fie just shrugs again.

"I know, but I want to," she says. "Besides, I can't let you foot the bill every time."

Laura chuckles, and shakes her head.

"Very well," she answers. "I accept."

"Cool," Fie replies. "And while we're at it you can tell me about how you and Rean ended up getting hitch."

Laura coughs into her fist, and then clears her throat.

"We're not married yet," she says.

"No, but it's pretty much a done deal, right." Fie says. "I mean, that's what this whole betrothal thing is about, isn't it?"

"I – I suppose," Laura answers.

"Then you can tell me all about it at Kirsche's," Fie says. "It's not like there's much point trying to keep it secret now."

Laura almost groans. Oh, that's right, everyone already knows.

By the time she finally makes it back to her dorm room, Laura only has about five minutes to wash up. As such, the normally attentive girl almost fails to notice that something is off. It is only when she turns back towards the door as she prepares to leave, that she catches sight of something out of the corner of her eye. Something red that isn't suppose to be there. When she turns around she a single rose sitting on top of her desk, there's a little, blue ribbon tied around the stem, and it contrasts nicely with the scarlet petals.

Laura blinks once, and then walks over to her desk. She picks the flower up, holding it delicately between her forefinger and thumb. As she does she notices two things, firstly that the thorns have been neatly pruned. Secondly, the ribbon tied to it is the exact same shade of blue as her hair.

For what must be the thousandth time today Laura can feel her cheeks growing warm, but it's a much different warmth than what she experienced earlier. For a start its a comfortable sort of warmth, one that quickly spreads to her chest and feels almost pleasant.

There's no note or anything with the rose, but she doesn't need one. Logically, there's only one person who could have left it here, one person who had both access to her dorm room and a reason to leave her flowers.

Although, it's still rather surprising, she hadn't thought Rean one for this kind of thing. Still, she's not about to object to such romantic gestures, so long as he doesn't go overboard.

She carefully places the Rose back on her desk and turns to leave, a small smile on her face.

- - -​

The next day is the last Wednesday of the month, and therefore the day of their practical exam. As such all eleven members stand assemble on the academy field, a lower murmur rising from the group as they chat amicably with each other.

As she watches the others, Laura can't help how at ease they all appear, a far cry from the first time they all stood here like this.

"It seems everyone has grown used to this," she comments.

Next to her Fie snorts.

"They should be after six months," she replies. "Although, I wouldn't put it past Sara to do something weird at this point. Try and keep us on our toes, y'know?"

Laura nods. Honestly, that seems like a good idea to her, it would stop them from becoming too complacent. One should never be too comfortable on the battlefield, after all.

Then the blue-haired girl feels the hairs rising on the back of her neck, and his hit by the uncomfortable sensation of someone watching her. She turns her head, and immediately spots Alisa standing at the other end of the group and staring straight at her. However, as soon as she meets her gaze the blonde turns her eyes to the ground and looks away.

Laura frowns. She had noted Alisa behaving much the same at dinner the previous evening, constantly glancing over at her then looking away. In fact, now that she thinks about it she doesn't remember Alisa speaking a word to her all day yesterday. Discomfort makes itself known in the pit of Laura's stomach as she contemplates this, she sincerely hopes that she hasn't offended the other girl in some way.

However, before she can think much more deeply on this topic, their instructor finally makes her appearance.

"Hello boys and girls," she declares theatrically, as she descends the steps. "I hope you're all ready for another day of gruelling combat, because boy, do I have a doozy for you today!"

"Told you," Fie whispers.

"So, we've got the festival coming up next month," Instructor Sara says. "Which means no practical exam. So, since this will be our last one for a while, I decide that we should have a proper review of what you've learnt so far."

With this she reaches down, and draws both her gun and her sword.

Laura blinks, as she instantly grasps what the instructor is implying.

"Wait," she says. "Are you saying...?"

"That you will serve as our opponent?" Gaius finishes for her.

The older woman has that fox-like smile on her face again, the same one she was wearing yesterday when she informed Laura and Rean of their appointments with Instructor Beatrix.

"Bingo!" she answers. "Just think of it as the long-awaited second round of May's exam. So if any of you want to get back at me now's your chance! But you better bring it, 'cause I'm not about to go easy on you."

A little ripple of nervous energy runs through the group, and Laura is no exception. She remembers the May exam very well, as she presumes the rest of her classmates do too. It's hard to forget just how easily the instructor had been able to defeat them, how she'd picked them all apart so easily. It had been a very informative lesson, and she knows she still has a long way to go, but that did not mean her pride had not been wounded a little.

"Now, I'm gonna split you all into pairs," Instructor Sara continues. "And you'll all get to fight me two-on-one. First up, our resident love birds."

Laura almost sighs, she'd had a suspicion that their instructor was going to say something like that. Still, despite the way she'd worded it, she was more than happy to accept the challenge. Besides, seeing the Eight-Leaves-One-Blade style in action was always interesting, despite how many times she has seen Rean fight, she gets the feeling that she's only just scratched the surface of its mysteries.

As the two of them step forward the instructor drops into her own fighting stance, and Laura can practically feel the power radiating from her.

"It looks like she's not going to hold anything back," Rean says. His tone is low and serious, in the way she's only ever heard when he's heading in to combat.

"Then neither shall I!" Laura declares.

"Right," Rean replies. "Then let's do it."

"I take it you're ready?" Instructor Sara asks. "Just so you know, I expect the two of you to pass with flying colours. So come at me with everything you've got!"

The two of them don't waste any time, and immediately take her up on her suggestion. Rean surges forwards, drawing his blade as he rushes towards his target. The clang of steel-on-steel cuts through the air, as Instructor Sara deftly parries his sword with her own. However, Laura is just behind him, ready to follow-up on the opening he created. Then just as she's about to strike, the older woman points her pistol right at her, forcing Laura to hurriedly reposition her weapon in order to defend against the attack. She can hear the sound and feel the impact as three separate shots ricochet off of her greatsword.

Rean comes up behind the instructor, approaching from her blind side, or what should have been her blind side. Instructor Sara moves out of the way without even looking, casually stepping to the side like the attack was coming in slow motion. This means that she has to stop her assault on Laura, and the blue-haired girl immediately moves to take advantage. She swings her massive sword horizontally, cutting through the air so quickly the great blade is almost a blur. Unfortunately, Instructor Sara is faster still, she leaps backwards and lands a few feet away with a cat-like grace.

There's a reason she's called the "Purple Lightning".

Laura immediately takes a step-back, and raises her sword into a guard, anticipating the counter-attack.

However, it never comes. Instructor Sara does raise her gun again, but before she can pull the trigger Rean is on top of her again. He strikes with the swiftness inherent to the Eight-Leaves style, and yet their instructor parries it with such ease that it almost looks effortless. Still, his attack does pull her attention away from Laura, allowing the girl to approach without too much fear of being hit. Rean aims his next hit high, forcing Instructor Sara to raises her sword to block it. Laura seizes her chance, and aims a thrust for the older woman's exposed torso.

Only to cry out as something strikes her in the leg, almost knocking her completely off balance. She looks up, and sees the instructor's gun half-hidden in the folds of her coat, and with smoke rising from the barrel.

She looks up further, and sees that the woman has a most vexing, self-satisfied grin on her face.

Laura takes a deep breath, and forces herself to swallow her irritation. She knows this is part of how Instructor Sara fights, annoying her opponents and goading them into making a mistake. She will not rise to the bait!

As Rean continues to rain blows down on their instructor, and as she continues to parry them effortlessly, Laura takes a moment to still her mind. She reaches deep within herself, and pulls on the thread of energy she finds there. In her minds eye she can see an aura of pure, white light emanating from her body, and a pair of radiant wings rise from her shoulder blades.

Suddenly everything looks a lot clearer to her, and she can pick-out the details in her environment that she couldn't before. She can pick out the imperfections in the brickwork of the school building some two hundred feet away, and can even see the motes of dust floating in front of her face. She can make-out both Rean's and Instructor Sara's movements much more clearly now, almost as though time as slowed down slightly to allow her to observe them.

With a mighty roar she kicks off the dirt, and races forward much faster than before.

As she closes in on her opponent she sees the exact moment her eyes go wide, the way she twists her body in anticipation of the attack. Laura can see how she moves, and is easily able to anticipate the path of her blade, and so she angles her own blade to slip through the gaps in her guard. Sara manages to intercept the attack regardless, however the blow strikes home with such force that it almost dislodges the weapon from her hand. With her sword temporarily of no use, the older woman raises her gun...

Except once again Rean is there to intercept the attack, and his blade knocks her secondary weapon to the side.

With both weapons out of play this leaves the older woman wide open, and Laura is not about to waste her opportunity. She spins around to build momentum, and then drives the hilt of her sword straight into Instructor Sara's solar plexus. The older woman let's out a short gasp of pain and shock, and immediately falls to one knee.

A split second later she holds up a hand, stopping both of her students in their tracks.

However, she doesn't speak immediately. In fact she doesn't do much of anything, except kneel on the ground with her shoulders heaving as she clearly struggles for breath.

"Um, instructor," Rean says. "Are you okay?"

The older woman nods her head, but it still takes a few more seconds before she speaks.

"Oh … yeah," she replies, between breaths. "Just dandy. Okay, I think we'll call that your win."

At her words Laura quickly releases her technique, and allows the built-up energy to disperse. Immediately she feels tired, drained; that technique always exhausts her, and she can never keep it up for more than a minute. Although her father can keep it going for hours, which just goes to show the vast gulf of ability between them.

After another minute Instructor Sara rises to her feet again, and now that she has her breath back she doesn't actually look any worse for wear.

"Wow," Sara begins. "You guys definitely exceeded my expectations. As your instructor I couldn't be more proud."

The words spark a lightness in Laura's chest, a buoyancy. She looks over at Rean and he flashes her a smile and a thumbs-up, Laura can't help but smile back.

Despite it being obvious that their instructor was not actually going all-out, she can't help but feel a sense of victory; or rather, a sense of accomplishment. It feels like she's taken some sort of important step forward, not just in her skills with a sword, but with life in general. She doesn't know how accurate that feeling is, but she'll allow herself to bask in it for the moment.

Author's Note: It Lives! It Lives!

Last edited:
Oooh, I'm always happy to see a promising story come back. Rean/Laura is always enjoyable. Something about the two swordbrains just works well together. Laura being the first to see through and call out Rean on his hangups set a good tone for them.
This has some serious promise. Both of them are solidly in-character, and the dialogue feels genuine. Some good potential condlict introduced with Millium spilling the beans and the upcoming events.

Laura and Rean vs Sara was a very good fight depiction, which can be hard to do.
Looking forward to more!

Oooh, I'm always happy to see a promising story come back. Rean/Laura is always enjoyable. Something about the two swordbrains just works well together. Laura being the first to see through and call out Rean on his hangups set a good tone for them.

I agree. Part of what made them my favourite pairing were the scenes in Celdic at the beginning of the first game, something about that interaction really clicked with me.

Also, glad you enjoyed the fight scene. Writing a two-on-one fight is always an experience.

Back