Take me down to the Brockton Bay[Worm/Burnout]

Take me down to the Brockton Bay[Worm/Burnout]
Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

Taylor's new car leads to her making a friend and beginning her journey to becoming the second Burnout Racer.

This fic is crossposted between SB and SV.
Prologue

ToucanPoppyJakob

Ay, it's that dumb bird again
Pronouns
He/Him
Take me down to the Brockton Bay

Prologue​

Officer Cole was having a good, slow day. He had pulled over a drunk driver and arrested a few merchants. He spent the rest of the day cruising smoothly through Brockton. That was until he saw a car that definitely should not have been on the road.

Thankfully, the driver cooperated and pulled over. When he stepped out of his car, he finally got a good look at the vehicle. It was bent, battered, dirty, and even burnt. Some of the windows were broken. Whoever owned this car must have been a maniac.

"Hello sir, I'm sorry to inform you but your vehicle is in no condition to dri—" He stopped as he finally got a good look at the driver. He had expected to see a middle-aged man who went to the bar to get drunk and scream at soccer. Instead, he saw a lanky teenage girl, whose face was mostly covered by her hair and who looked like she hadn't slept well that night.

"Uh, how old are you?" He asked as she raised her brow somewhat disdainfully. He had to admit, the teenage girl made him feel tense. She brought her fist up and held up a finger.

"First of all, I was already planning to fix this thing. Secondly, that is none of your business. And, thirdly," she said, leaning out the window to look behind her, "someone's taking your car."

"What?" Cole turned around to see his car driving off to the right. Panicking, he ran after it as he pulled out his radio. "This is Officer Cole, someone has stolen my car and is driving down Bradbury Street!"

He stopped in his tracks, panting. When he turned around, there was only smoke and tire tracks. "Son of a bitch."

Taylor chuckled to herself as she drove off. "Heh, sucker."

Taylor kept driving to her destination, some old scrapyard up north near the trainyard. She couldn't quite remember the place's name, but she knew it was run by some guy named Adam.

When she finally reached the area she saw a big rusted sign, with the word 'Atomik Repairs' on it. However, some of the letters had fallen off. It honestly looked abandoned, but hey, at least it meant it was cheap.

Rolling into the entrance, she popped her head to look around. The place was filled with piles of scrap, and cars in different states of disrepair. The most peculiar was the part off to the side that looked to lead to a small makeshift raceway. The thing even had ramps and hoops.
She stopped at the garage door, a sign that said 'If it's closed, honk'. Taylor did as instructed and honked her car… nothing. She honked again and again, but still nothing. Groaning in annoyance, she got out of her car, slammed the door closed, and walked towards the smaller door.

She peeked through the door window, though with how smudged it was, she could barely see anything. She grabbed the doorknob and tripped a little when it opened way too easily.

"Jesus," she muttered, regaining her footing. She looked around the garage, or at least tried to. The whole thing was dark, barely lit by the light coming from outside. "Hello?"

Taylor's head perked up as she heard some sort of grinding sound and… music? She went further into the garage, and the grinding and music got louder and louder until she reached the door from which it was coming.

Opening the door, she saw some guy welding… something. There were tools and pieces all over the ground, and he was banging his head to the music that was now so loud it hurt Taylor's ears.

Taylor sidestepped to the boombox and turned it off. She saw the guy stop, as he slowly turned around to look at her, his face hidden by a welding mask.

"Hi?" She waved a little at him, as he immediately dropped his tools and put his hands up.

"I-I wasn't doing anything," his voice surprised her, he had more of a California accent instead of the usual Brockton or Boston one, "trust me."

"I just wanted to get my car fixed sir." She said, trying to calm him down. He thankfully did, as he lowered his arms and removed his mask. He looked scruffy, with a bit of a tan to him. This guy was probably Adam. "Name's Taylor by the way."

"Oh that's what you want," he sighed in relief, "I can do that, bring in the car."

Taylor went outside and got into her car, she watched as the garage opened with a creaking noise. Taylor slowly drove into the garage, as she saw Adam grab some tools.

Getting out of her car, she watched Adam stop in his tracks, almost dropping his tools. He probably never had a car this bad if that was his reaction.

"H-How do you have that?" Adam's voice was shaky, as he gulped in what looked like awe. He put his tools down as he walked next to the car, his hands gliding over it, as if he was too scared to touch it.

"My car? Why do you ask?" Taylor asked in confusion. Adam took a deep breath and steadied himself before turning back to Taylor, a dopey grin on his face.

"I'll tell you later. Anyways, you want me to fix this car right?" Taylor nodded in response. "How much money will you pay me?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking about the price?" Taylor said incredulously.

"No, it's fine, just tell me. You can pay me when I'm done." He said, putting his hands on his hips.

"I've saved up about a thousand dollars for this car." Taylor rubbed the back of her head. It took a whole month to save up that much. Combined with swiping some cash from her dad, which she still felt guilty about.

"Wow, honestly I'd say you're overpaying." He chuckled to himself. "Alright, before you go, do you have any ways I can contact you? I assume you have a phone?"

"No, but uh, I do have a computer at home," Taylor said as she mimicked a pen and paper. Adam walked away before coming back with both. "Do you have a PHO?"

"Oh yeah, it's DJ_Atomica, with a k." He said as Taylor wrote it down.

"Ok, thanks." She chuckled to herself as she pocketed the note. "Also, DJ Atomika?"

"I was a DJ in high school, sue me. The Atomika part is just a reference to, well, y'know…" He as he gestured to the right.

"Oh right, Atomik Repairs, got it." She nodded as she left the garage. "I'll see you later!"

"Nice meeting you Taylor!" He said in return. Taylor smiled as she left the junkyard, and went back home.

Squealer cackled as she drove her truck around Brockton. She had just gotten her best steal yet, and now she was mostly parading around the city with the Merchants behind her in their cars.

That was until she heard a crash.

Looking at her rearview mirror, she saw a giant cargo truck tailing, one of the cars having flung into a building. Most would assume those guys were dead, but Squealer had made sure to add safety measures this time. Last week was not pretty.

She snatched her radio. "Oi, morons, start shooting!" She shouted into her radio. She watched as men popped out of the cars to shoot at it. A bunch of bullets had hit the driver's window… yet it kept going. Squealer squinted her eyes and saw it.

There was no one in the truck.

"Shit!" Squealer cursed as she grabbed her radio again. "Get the hell out of here! There's no one in the truck!"

All the cars drove off to the sides, as the truck kept tailing her.

"This is such dogshit!" She grabbed two of the duffel bags she could get, kicked the door open, and jumped out.

The fall hurt like hell. Fortunately, her adrenaline had kicked in and she was back on her feet. Unfortunately, she turned to see the two trucks collide and explode, destroying all the drugs that were still in her vehicle.

"I WORKED SO FUCKING HARD FOR THAT!" She screamed as she stomped the ground in a fit. The incoming police sirens shut her up, as she ran away.

Her day was going so well too.

Taylor walked into the junkyard, to see the garage door open. Out of it, came her car.

"Holy shit," Taylor said in awe. The thing was pristine, new hood, tires, windows. It looked as if it had just been built. Adam stepped out of the car with a large smile on his face. "Adam, this is awesome!"

"I know right?" He chuckled to himself as he watched Taylor inspect the car up close. He sighed, as he patted Taylor on the shoulder. "Taylor, can you come with me real quick?"

"Sure?" She said as she followed him to the garage. When inside, Adam pulled up two chairs and motioned for Taylor to sit with him.

"Taylor, remember the question I had asked you last time we met?" Taylor nodded in response. "Can you answer it for me?"

"Don't see why not." Taylor cleared her throat. "So, over a month ago, I had found an old letter. It was from one of my dad's cousins, saying he left an apology gift for him. The envelope wasn't even open, so, my dad probably didn't even touch the thing."

"An apology gift?" Adam questioned.

"Still not sure what the apology was. I mean, not like my dad ever talks about his family that much." Taylor responded before continuing "Anyways, I decided to check what it was. I found this old garage place, near the edge of town. I asked the guy at the counter about it, and he said he didn't know much. Just that 'he should wait till a Hebert came to take the car'. So, he ended up giving me the keys. I had already planned on getting a car because of some… recent events, so it was a win in my book."

"What was the guy's name?" Adam asked.

"Drew Hebert, why?" Taylor said as she saw Adam's eyes light up. He yanked her by the arm and pulled her into a dark room. Lights suddenly blinded Taylor before she adjusted her eyes and bore witness to the room's contents.

The room was filled with memorabilia, posters, newspaper clippings, photos and so much more.

"Taylor," She shook her head, turning to look at Adam, "you ever heard of Burnout Racing?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

Hello everyone, I hope you enjoyed this first chapter.

It's my first ever crack fic, though there will be serious moments as well.

I've been playing Burnout: Paradise for a while on the PS3 and it has that bat-shit insane, balls to walls adrenaline filled energy I love so much.

Anyways, see ya!

Last edited:
Burnout Takedown will always have ALL my love. Takedowns are the only thing that matters!!!!!
I hate the licence advancement thing.

That said, can't wait to see where this goes.

A burnout fanfic, and a crossover as well? That is very interesting, curious how it will go. Is Atomika just not going to comment that Taylor brought a stolen police car to his place instead of a 'normal' beater?

A burnout fanfic, and a crossover as well? That is very interesting, curious how it will go. Is Atomika just not going to comment that Taylor brought a stolen police car to his place instead of a 'normal' beater?
I don't think Taylor brought him the police car. I think she's the driver that got pulled over in the first segment, and she brought in the vehicle she was pulled over in. (It sounds like she has a power to remotely pilot cars, and she used it to hijack the police car to distract the officer so she could get away.)

Chapter 1 New
Take me down to the Brockton Bay

Chapter 1: Past and Future​

"Not really," Taylor said, scratching her head, "I mean, I liked racing shows, but I rarely watched them cause my dad would always get mad about it and turn the TV off."

"Okay, History lesson time," Adam said, clearing his throat. "So, back in the late 70s my dad, Adam Sr., wanted to make a racing show. But, he felt like racing in his day and age was too boring. So, he created Burnout Racing."

"And what was Burnout Racing exactly? Taylor asked intently.

"Well, it was kind of a challenge show, where multiple racers competed to rise the ranks. There were Races, Road Rages, Face-Offs, Burning Laps, and the Grand Prix," he said as he rummaged through a box, pulling out a plastic case holding different cards. "When you won a set number of events, you would advance to the next license. It went from the learner permit to D class, C class, B class, A class, and finally, the fabled Burnout License."

"Where's the Burnout License?" Taylor asked as she looked at the different licenses, most were either bent or barely holding together. Looking up at Adam, she saw him looking down in a sullen mood.

"I don't know," he sighed, "I had scoured for ages looking for one, but I'm pretty sure only one was ever made."

"Only one?" Adam pointed up at a newspaper clipping. Taylor's eyes widened and her breath hitched as she saw it. 'Drew Hebert almost loses life in Grand Prix, achieves Burnout license'. A black and white picture of her uncle was shown holding up his Burnout License in a wheelchair.

"Yeah, because of that, the show was canceled. It was already on thin ice because of the road rages, but that was the last straw for people." Adam got up and returned to the car, while Taylor sat there, looking at the newspaper clipping. It was the first time she had seen his face.

Getting up, she walked to the car and stood next to Adam.

"You know, every racer had their own special car," Adam said as he leaned on the car, "your old cousin had this, the Hunter Racing Oval Champ. See, my dad paid several car companies to make a car for each racer. Drew's car was made for aggression. The guy loved to smash into the other racers' cars."

"So it can take a few hits," Taylor responded.

"Oh yeah, it sure can. He actually had a small rivalry with the Japanese racer Tsurugi. If I remember correctly, Tsurugi had a car from Nakamura, can't remember the name though," Adam said as he stood in thought for a second. Shaking his head, he patted the car. "So, wanna take this thing for a test drive?"

"Really?" Taylor perked up at his question.

"Yeah," he sneezed before continuing, "if you hadn't noticed, I have my own raceway out back. Three laps, what do you say?"

Adam reached his hand out for a shake. Taylor had just wanted to get the car fixed, but she had a lot to think about after what she saw. Sure, she could just say no and leave like normal people, but she wasn't. She was a parahuman, parahumans don't do normal. But it's not like she was a parahuman her entire life either.

Taylor sighed.

"How about later? Give me some time to think and I'll take you up on that offer," she shook his hand and got in the car, putting the keys in the ignition. "That sound good?"

"Eh, good enough for me." Adam chuckled as Taylor hit the gas and drove off.

"Dad, can I ask you something?" Taylor asked as her dad sat down to eat his breakfast. She was almost done eating since she always ate faster than her parents. They warned her, telling her she would choke on her food if she didn't slow down. Though Taylor was more obedient than other kids, she was still a kid. Needless to say, her little bratty side kicked in, and she learned her lesson the hard way.

"Hmm?" Danny looked at her with slight surprise. They rarely talked now, Danny either being gone before she even woke up or eating silently, not even saying, 'How is school'. Frankly, she's kind of happy about that. The less she has to think about school the better. "What is it?"

"Can you tell me about Drew?" Taylor's question made Danny freeze mid-bite. He let his fork down slowly, and his face turned to stone.

"How do you know that name?" Tension filled the room as Taylor felt goosebumps rise.

Taylor cleared her throat. "I found this letter from your cousin Drew in the attic. He was apologizing for... something. It was pretty vague on what it specifically was. Can you tell me about him?"

Danny stared at her for a few seconds before getting up. "I'm going to work."

"Wait, what? What about your food?" Taylor asked as her dad put on his shoes.

"Put it in the fridge, I'll eat at work," he said as he left, slamming the door closed. Taylor sat in disbelief as she heard her dad's truck drive away. Silently, she got up, grabbed the plate and some plastic wrap, and put her dad's breakfast in the fridge.

Sighing, she turned back to the house's door to see her backpack on a wooden chair. Right, she had school today. Or she could ditch school for that offer Adam gave her. Pulling her car keys out of her pocket, she fidgeted with them and stood there in thought.

"Screw it, car it is," she said as she left the house. Thankfully, she didn't have to go far to get to her car. Her neighborhood had the usual 'haunted' house, as all neighborhoods do. She was never the superstitious type, but the fact that every owner had died some sort of messed up death made her worry. She swears she heard someone yell for her to back off when she parked her car there.

When she pried the rusted garage door, she was greeted with a bright blue floating old man holding a sledgehammer in the air, ready to smash it into her car. The two of them stared at each other for a little while.

"What the fu-"

"FUCK OFF!" The old man screamed loud enough to scare all the animals in the vicinity, dropping his hammer and flying away into the house. Taylor just, sorta stood there, questioning her sanity.

"Did… did I not get enough sleep last night?"

Taylor honked her horn as she pulled up to the Atomik Repairs garage, where she saw Adam leave the garage and jog towards her with a smile on his face. "So, have you considered my offer?" He asked, wiping the soot off his cheek.

"The answer's yes," Taylor said, leaning into her chair.

"Hell yeah!" Adam clapped his hands with joy. "Alright then, drive to the track and we'll get started."

"Gotcha." Taylor rolled the window up, before driving towards the track. When she reached the track, she rolled her window down, popping her head out to stare in awe at the thing. The track was huge, it had ramps, rings, and even… "Are those billboards?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah, there were these Burnout Racing billboards that the racers could smash through" he said as he walked to a tall chair and grabbed a helmet from beneath it before returning to Taylor. "Put this on, then drive to the finish line to get started."

Grabbing the helmet, Taylor put it on before giving Adam a thumbs up. When Taylor reached the start, she watched Adam grab a microphone from the side.

"Testing, testing," Taylor heard the crackle of speakers before his voice rang out all around her. "Okay, that's good. Now then, Taylor, you have three laps to complete around this track, you can try doing some tricks too, but I ain't forcing you if you don't wanna. I'm a little more merciful than my father. All set?"

Taylor inspected her car and everything seemed fine, so she gave it a thumbs up.

"All right then," Adam fidgeted with something to the side before she heard the speakers play music. "Get ready!"

"In 3!" Taylor's brow furrowed in focus.

"2!" Taylor revved up her engine.

"1!" Deep breath, then exhale.

"GO!" And Taylor took off.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^​

AN: And that is that.

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, it will be hard to write with highschool getting in the way, but I think I can manage.

Next chapter is when the real fun begins!

Anyways, see ya!

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'd have chosen 'Kick Start My Heart', or 'I Can't Drive 55', but 'Paradise City' works fine too.

Taylor's gonna be a fantastic driver, especially if she's got any of QA's multi-tasking going on in the background.

Is Taylor a Technopath? If so, she's got ALL the multitasking going on...

Was that Drew himself in that haunted house? Or was that an irrelevant bit of Brockton Bay insanity? Well, quite bold of you to try to worldbuild Burnout as a serious competition with normal drivers, curious how it turns out.

Back