Syfy can into space nao? Dark Matter and Killjoys

Chloe Sullivan

Subdefective
after a long string of terrible B-movies and being the "actually urban fantasy, we took out the sci bit" channel for years, Syfy seems to actually have gotten two pretty decent space shows out.

Anyone wanna talk about Killjoys and Dark Matter?

after a long string of terrible B-movies and being the "actually urban fantasy, we took out the sci bit" channel for years, Syfy seems to actually have gotten two pretty decent space shows out.

Anyone wanna talk about Killjoys and Dark Matter?
I was very whelmed by the first episode of Dark Matter. Someone told me it gets better, but it feels too much like a less-interesting Firefly clone. Replete with the young character wearing Kaylee's jacket but with the quirky weirdness of River.

I was very whelmed by the first episode of Dark Matter. Someone told me it gets better, but it feels too much like a less-interesting Firefly clone. Replete with the young character wearing Kaylee's jacket but with the quirky weirdness of River.

Five doesn't strike me as quirky at all outside of her fashion sense. Naive, sure, but she's not a cloudcuckoolander like river is.

And that clothing is there primarily to make her look younger, since the actress is in her twenties.

Five doesn't strike me as quirky at all outside of her fashion sense. Naive, sure, but she's not a cloudcuckoolander like river is.

And that clothing is there primarily to make her look younger, since the actress is in her twenties.
Yeah, if anything Five plays the straight man or the engineer more than anything else.

The android is the best thing about the show though. Well, aside from the concept. It's a really great concept with a solid execution.

I have been told it's worth it if you stick around, so maybe I'll give it another pass. As a Trek fan it'd be hypocritical of me to tune out over a lacklustre first impression. :V

Killjoys was... ok. Not especially good or bad, but if you want to watch a science fiction show it will scratch that itch. Some of the worldbuilding is good., but the characters didn't grab me. When I first figured out that they had put each social class on a different planet it seemed kind of heavy handed, but you expect a lack of subtlety in SciFi metaphors so it stopped bothering me pretty quickly.

Killjoys was... ok. Not especially good or bad, but if you want to watch a science fiction show it will scratch that itch. Some of the worldbuilding is good., but the characters didn't grab me. When I first figured out that they had put each social class on a different planet it seemed kind of heavy handed, but you expect a lack of subtlety in SciFi metaphors so it stopped bothering me pretty quickly.
The fact that they were wiling to be as openly political as that was actually kinda cool.

Though i could have done without the "our government betrayed us" conspiralols.

Killjoys just doesn't take itself too seriously and that works for the tone it sets.

Dark Matter uses common tropes of 80s/90s scifi, if you watch trek, stargate,b5, farscape etc you will recognize the patterns. But it executes them in polished way and adds a nBSG like gritty,realistic feel instead of the cheesiness found in older space opera. It's not groundbreaking but a very polished and interesting show.

Also no mention of the Expanse ? It's another thing SyFy is doing and probably the best original programming they made recently.

Last edited:
Dark Matter uses common tropes of 80s/90s scifi, if you watch trek, stargate,b5, farscape etc you will recognize the patterns. But it executes them in polished way and adds a nBSG like gritty,realistic feel instead of the cheesiness found in older space opera. It's not groundbreaking but a very polished and interesting show.

Also no mention of the Expanse ? It's another thing SyFy is doing and probably the best original programming they made recently.
Neither expanse nor dark matter are original. one is adapted from a recent book series (leviathan wakes), the latter from an older comic.

Also, i thought expanse was a miniseries rather than a show?

Last edited:
Back