Subscriber payment processor changes and cancellation emails

Ford Prefect

What is Project Zohar?
Pronouns
He/Him
SV subscribers, you may have noticed emails from your chosen payment processor stating that Perihelion Media Works (that's us) has cancelled your subscription. We just want to reiterate what Xon said in his most recent announcement that this is an unfortunate consequence of needing to close our Canada based payment processor accounts in favour of accounts based in Australia. This will have no effect on your current user upgrade. Your subscriber benefits will continue to function as normal for the monthly period without interruption.

However, your subscription will not automatically renew at the end of the current period. If you wish to continue subscribing to SV, and we thank you if you do, then you will need to visit the account upgrades page in future, once we have connected up the new payment processors. That work is currently underway, but as there is a sales tax reporting requirement for any Australian residents we need to incorporate on our end it will require a short period of time to be ready.

Until it is ready both new account upgrades and post gilding will not be available. Your benefits have not been cancelled, just the automatic renewal. So, I get to say for the first time, DON'T PANIC. We're sorry about the emails and any confusion they might have caused if you missed the previous announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:
User upgrade re-enabled
It was a bit of a marathon session, and will likely be some bugs to fix; but user upgrades are now reenabled.

Australians will be paying an additional 10% GST as we now need to collect that.

There is now a "Country for user-upgrade sales tax" custom field which tracks if an the account has been geo-located as Australian, and for tax compliance reasons we do need to accurately charge Australians GST.

If your account is wrongly tagged as Australian, please open a ticket so administrative staff can update the account flag.

Er, I've been gifted an account upgrade, apparently. Is that related to this?

(Thanks to whoever gifted it if it is a gift.)

Yeah, same, also received an anonymously gifted upgrade. Thanks if someone did it on purpose, but it's very confusing because I can't imagine why.

That's right. Skippy has been distributing prizes now that the account upgrade system has been switched back on.

I appreciate the heads up, Ford. Your change of payment processing locale reminds me of a bit of trivia. That, next-day air lifting a banana from grocers or growers in parts of Canada to the munchiest parts of Australia (so, usually 8000 nautical miles, so easily one of the longest possible flights) adds a liter of petrol to the flight plan. Whether or not the changes to subscription processing will affect site operations in nearly the same way is of course unlikely. Unless you are thinking of getting banana smoothies for the staff.

Whether or not the changes to subscription processing will affect site operations in nearly the same way is of course unlikely. Unless you are thinking of getting banana smoothies for the staff.

If I could effectively coordinate the distribution of that numbers of smoothies to that number of people in that number of locations, I think I would be crowned king of DHL or something

Back