Story to You

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

The first once upon a times were how they would start. The books would open, and the stories...
Choice

Fletcher

Process to process/ the halting of pace
The first once upon a times were how they would start. The books would open, and the stories would be told and told and told. The meanings would change, the stories would change, but they were still the stories, and once upon a time, the books had been still been opened.

Once upon a time, they didn't starve for readers.

But time passed, years trapped and locked boxes and passed down to people who never quite unpacked their gifts. They were lost, though the stories were not.

The stories changed, with time, on their own. It'd probably begun when one of the people visiting the attic the books were locked in tried an "ancient spell" that he'd never seen the results of, but the beginning time wasn't the important part. What mattered was that the stories themselves changed, angrier and darker and bleeding curses across the pages.

Once upon a time, the books hadn't been opened. But that changed at the hands of a child in the attic. It all began when one was.

And, well, if the book wanted the reader to experience the story first-hand, well, was there anything really wrong with that?

[ ]The opened book was bigger, easier to fit in a child's hands, painted in fading colours that once boasted brightness and strewn with pictures of fairies and pirates and boys who never grew up.

[ ]The opened book was worn, cover tattered and colours long since greyed. It had the outline of a sleeping princess drawn carefully over the cover and a title in unintelligible writing.

[ ]The opened book had a cover that had changed over time to red, white, and black, still beautiful even after age wore at its brightness and carefully marked with a princess and a single red apple.

[ ]The opened book was cutesy, candy-designed, even, with the image of two sweet siblings smiling up at the reader in front of a gingerbread house. Colours still popped from the new book, even if the smiles were a little off.

Alternatively known as the product of the writing kitten deciding to gnaw at my brain until I had a third quest to top off my eight in-progress books and aggravate my writing addiction. Or, in which the main character gets sucked into a fairy tale. If you want to join this quest, welcome! If not, feel free to leave! Everything's welcome here.

The obviously-dark-and-evil levels of the world to get sucked into are decided by d20, where 20 is a dystopia and 1 is a well-hidden one.

Last edited:
[x]The opened book was cutesy, candy-designed, even, with the image of two sweet siblings smiling up at the reader in front of a gingerbread house. Colours still popped from the new book, even if the smiles were a little off.

[ ]The opened book had a cover that had changed over time to red, white, and black, still beautiful even after age wore at its brightness and carefully marked with a princess and a single red apple.
if were going once upon a time(yes the show) then lets go hard

...It's not the show. This is an original thing; I just sort of wanted to use the words.

[X]The opened book had a cover that had changed over time to red, white, and black, still beautiful even after age wore at its brightness and carefully marked with a princess and a single red apple.

I don't know what any of the options will take us, so I choose randomly.
@Fletcher You should probably threadmark your updates.

[X]The opened book was bigger, easier to fit in a child's hands, painted in fading colours that once boasted brightness and strewn with pictures of fairies and pirates and boys who never grew up.

Picking an actual cheery one. Literally never see those in quests. Lots of grim stories.

[X]The opened book was worn, cover tattered and colours long since greyed. It had the outline of a sleeping princess drawn carefully over the cover and a title in unintelligible writing.

[X]The opened book was bigger, easier to fit in a child's hands, painted in fading colours that once boasted brightness and strewn with pictures of fairies and pirates and boys who never grew up.

Picking an actual cheery one. Literally never see those in quests. Lots of grim stories.
dude if its colorful odds are that its a trap

[X] The opened book was bigger, easier to fit in a child's hands, painted in fading colours that once boasted brightness and strewn with pictures of fairies and pirates and boys who never grew up.

[ ]The opened book was bigger, easier to fit in a child's hands, painted in fading colours that once boasted brightness and strewn with pictures of fairies and pirates and boys who never grew up.
Peter and Wendy. It will probably turn into something more resembling the Lord of the Flies...
[ ]The opened book was worn, cover tattered and colours long since greyed. It had the outline of a sleeping princess drawn carefully over the cover and a title in unintelligible writing.
The Sleeping Beauty. Hmm... Well, it will be hard to beat the Basile's narrative...
The Snow White. Royal intrigue and probably Dwarfs will do some nasty things to her and us... Or she did some nasty things to them and is going to do even worse things to her step mother, who might be ironically good this time. Or maybe there will be no good in this world at all...
EDIT: Oh... It ends spectacularly as well...
Not knowing that the Prince's bride is her stepdaughter, the queen arrives at the wedding and sees that the bride is Snow White, whom she thought dead. She is frozen with rage and fear, but iron slippers have been put in the fire, and they are put before her. She is then forced to put on the red-hot slippers and dance to death.
[ ]The opened book was cutesy, candy-designed, even, with the image of two sweet siblings smiling up at the reader in front of a gingerbread house. Colours still popped from the new book, even if the smiles were a little off.
The Hansel and Gretel. I suppose it was rather dark already. Although there is always the room for improvement...

[X] The opened book was bigger, easier to fit in a child's hands, painted in fading colours that once boasted brightness and strewn with pictures of fairies and pirates and boys who never grew up.

It is the only one that isn't terrifying from the start, and actually quite innocent. It also has the most fantastic setting of the four. It won't end well for us...

Last edited:

I guess I will change my vote. I loved the Peter Pan movies, I always wanted to be at Wendy's place when I was a kid.

[X] The opened book was worn, cover tattered and colours long since greyed. It had the outline of a sleeping princess drawn carefully over the cover and a title in unintelligible writing.

Fair warning: these don't actually follow the fairytales. They're just... heavily based on them. Mainly to throw the protagonist off a little. They expect, say, Cinderella's normal, but at the end, the stepsister's foot fits the shoe. Something like that.

Beginning
. [X]The opened book was bigger, easier to fit in a child's hands, painted in fading colours that once boasted brightness and strewn with pictures of fairies and pirates and boys who never grew up.

You're awoken by screams.

They're not the normal kind of screams, the ones you remembered hearing but not the specific origin of. They're laden with bells and terror, accompanied by the beat of wings. It's almost like hundreds of tiny screams mixed in with those of children, thousands, and you've never heard it before.

Your eyes shoot open, and you shove yourself up from a sleeping position just in time to see a cannonball crash hard into the ground a few feet to your left. Your scream joins the others quickly, and you get up, fleeing from the spot. There are other children besides you, none above even thirteen, scrambling down from houses along the beach and into the forest surrounding it. You nearly lose your way when they swarm around you, each screaming in that way that sounds both otherworldly and human. They're all dressed in clothes woven from leaves or animal skin, barely even noticing your presence.

"Run!" you hear from the back, and you turn just in time to see the next wave of children, smaller than the older ones and wielding makeshift weapons. They're being shoved away by a boy with a clumsy dagger in hand, who's facing a grand ship with a furious scowl. "Run or he'll get you!"

"Hook!" is interspersed with the wordless yells, hook, hook, hook. Your eyes widen, and you sprint further. You remember this tale. You know it from movies, from stories in bed, from memories of warmth and safety.

You're in Neverland. And it's being attacked.

Another cannonball, this time crashing into the ground right where the boy with the dagger- Peter-stands. He hops back, bare feet making deep marks in the sand, and it barely misses him. "Well, Hook?" he calls out cockily. "Is that the best you can do?"

There isn't an answer but the ship's finally stopping, and a ladder drops from it to let the pirates descend. They're younger than in the Disney film, dressed more poorly, but there are still rusted weapons in their hands and a cold glint in their eyes. They advance, and the children around you retreat further.

You want to help. But, and you're going to be perfectly honest here, what exactly can you do to help? These are pirates, trained to fight, and you're only-

-how old are you?

Not old enough, you decide quickly, joining the crowd of children. Your pyjamas don't trip you up as much as you thought they would, and it's easy to run.

What's a little less easy is ignoring the people behind you. "Pan!" a voice like thunder booms behind you. "Give us the girl!"

Girl? Do they mean you? No, they can't, you saw lots of girls running too, maybe they meant Wendy or something!

"Why would I want to do that, Hook?" Peter asks, deadly serious. "What'll you do if I don't?"

"Pan, I would appeal to your morals right now, but I don't quite think you have any. Give me the girl."

"Every time there's a new lost child-!"

"-I will do this. We know already!" Hook sounds exasperated, tired even, like he's done this too many times already. "Just give her up, Peter. Or, sure, go ahead and run like the coward and liar we all know you are."

"Coward? Liar? Talking about yourself is bad behaviour, Hook." Peter's entire voice practically drips lethality. "Do I have to remind you of that again?"

The cannon fires. The boy behind you is shot down with a pained cry, and Peter's head turns. His eyes meet yours for a split second before they land on the injured child. "Mouse!"

"As much as I hate having to do this, Pan, Mouse isn't the only one losing a leg if you don't cooperate." Hook glares down at the boy, not a shred of mercy in his eyes. "So?"

Peter doesn't answer.

[ ]Help the boy up.

[ ]Leave him alone.

[ ]Ask Hook who exactly he's looking for.

[ ]Tell Peter to just give whoever it is over.

[ ]Run.

[x]Tell Peter to just give whoever it is over.

Because they never do this in stories.
Bonus points if it turns out it's us.

Last edited:
Hook doesn't come off as that sort of character. How often do you see pirates making an appeal to one's morals?

Fairly certain they don't need a regular prisoner, since why would they negotiate for one where there are dozens up for grabs?

[X]Ask Hook who exactly he's looking for.

I suppose Peter isn't the good guy in this story. Still, the question remains, is the Hook any better? We need more info!

Back