Steins;Gate

Baron Ouroboros

Emerald Leaves and Crimson Petals
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello there. I've noticed a lack of discussion in regard to my favorite timetravel story and so have created a thread for it.

Now:

Speak on anything Steins; Gate related that passes your mind, like, say, the episodes of the currently airing Steins; Gate Zero. I'm curious to people's thoughts on the whole.

Edit: I messed up the name; it's Steins, not Stein's

Last edited:
Speak on anything Steins; Gate related that passes your mind, like, say, the episodes of the currently airing Steins; Gate Zero.
White Fox has done well in fusing the various continuities of 0 into a single timeline thus far, but are pretty bad at animating combat scenes. I think having a newbie director (Kenichi Kawamura) caused some puzzling camera angles and such as well, compared to the original series (who had Hiroshi Hamasaki & Takuya Satō).

The rooftop confrontation between military guys and Suzuha was terrible in how they animated it, for example. She just stood in the centre of the roof shooting at them and they proceeded to mimic Stormtrooper in accuracy firing back. Least in the VN she hid behind the time machine for most of the fight, and was solidly on the defensive till.. well, you'll see next episode.

The fight in the Lab between Suzuha and Kagari wasn't the best animated either. Also differed in how clothed Suzuha was - she got ambushed just hopping out of the shower in the VN - as well as being ambushed vs setting one herself, but that can be excused for ratings purposes. The animation quality, not so much.

Been enjoying it so far, though, and I'll nab the DVD box set once it's released in the West. Having played 0 we're up to the final stretch now - lots of fun scenes incoming.

Last edited:
What do you think about the upcoming Steins; Gate Elite? Apparently it's supposed to be a new version of the original LN, whereupon the story is instead told through the anime's medium (though, apparently new scenes will be introduced).

Personally, I'd very much love a sequel to Steins Gate. I grew quite attached to the Beta worldline over the past few months; in actuality, Steins Gate 0 was a reintroduction to Steins Gate for me, for last I watched the original anime I was but the equivalent of a middle schooler. Alas, that means I'm watching the original Steins Gate in a recursive fashion now, but I don't quite mind: it's all very exciting. There is no specific reason I love it so much, but many coalescing factors which include wonderful, relatable characters, intriguing sci-fi concepts, geek culture, an astonishing narrative coherence (as is befitting good time travel stories), etc. It's not perfect, and I think there are a few things I can point out that I don't quite like, but the whole of Steins Gate holds a very special place in my heart... as it did then, as it does now.

What do you think about the upcoming Steins; Gate Elite? Apparently it's supposed to be a new version of the original LN, whereupon the story is instead told through the anime's medium (though, apparently new scenes will be introduced).
Looking forward to it, and likely going to end up buying it, despite owning a Steam copy of the original VN. With luck it'll sell well enough to get publisher to translate and release the other games in the Mystery Adventure series, such as Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes.

The rooftop confrontation between military guys and Suzuha was terrible in how they animated it, for example. She just stood in the centre of the roof shooting at them and they proceeded to mimic Stormtrooper in accuracy firing back. Least in the VN she hid behind the time machine for most of the fight, and was solidly on the defensive till.. well, you'll see next episode.

The fight in the Lab between Suzuha and Kagari wasn't the best animated either. Also differed in how clothed Suzuha was - she got ambushed just hopping out of the shower in the VN - as well as being ambushed vs setting one herself, but that can be excused for ratings purposes. The animation quality, not so much.
Yes, it seems that the fighting animations were rendered by an IBN 5100.

Anyway, Mizu... there's a question I've been meaning to ask. Who's your favorite character? Mayuri? Suzuha? Itaru? Rintaro? Maho? Kurisu?

Personally, I must say that Makise Kurisu resonates with me the most, just because of a whole lot of reasons. I don't know... honestly, I'd love a version of Steins; Gate that has her as the primary POV. I've heard that for some she seems like a wish-fulfillment character, but she strikes me more as a real person, if that makes sense. As a prodigy with familial issues, raised in an environment where she thrives academically yet finds few peers, her new friends at the Future Gadgets Lab are a welcome relief from that isolation. The experiences of Kurisu are relatable personally, not because I've followed the same path, of-course, but because I can see enough of her struggles and desires as parallel to my own. I mean, not entirely (especially because the life experiences and backgrounds are so different), but she's a character that I empathize with, and one that inspires me. To tell the truth, I can't exactly say what I like about her character most at any given time, but it's all of the above.

That resonance is also a contributing factor to my dislike of anime character tropes, truthfully, which I see just as reductionist framings to the complexity of real people. Explanations that relate to the environment of one's upbringing (like Kurisu's high achieving academic background) do the actual justice of revealing a character's perspectives and life experience. She's a high-achieving young woman who works in an environment of older people (the majority of them men as well), and her attitudes in the future gadgets lab are reflective of that. Beyond the artificiality of the tsundere archetype and whichever anime classification, Kurisu is just genuine.

At least, that's what I see. Though in truth, I find all the main cast as appealing in one way or another.

Last edited:
Anyway, Mizu... there's a question I've been meaning to ask. Who's your favorite character? Mayuri? Suzuha? Itaru? Rintaro? Maho? Kurisu?
Hm. In terms of who I like the appearance of the most, it'd be Mayuri followed by Suzuha, but in terms of their overall character I'd probably go with Mayuri. She's friendly and happy-go-lucky most of the time, generally wants to help people out, and overall reflects myself in personality quite a bit. Her latching on to Okarin as a safety net of sorts back during childhood, and being super depressed about her grandma dying, are a bit of a mystery to me, however.

I can get the logic behind why someone would do it, but haven't actually experienced it myself, so can't quite emphasize there, you know? Only close family member I've had die was my granddad, and he died when I was too young to remember him much - let alone remember him before he had a mental health issue which led to him being grumpy all the time.

Hm. In terms of who I like the appearance of the most, it'd be Mayuri followed by Suzuha, but in terms of their overall character I'd probably go with Mayuri. She's friendly and happy-go-lucky most of the time, generally wants to help people out, and overall reflects myself in personality quite a bit. Her latching on to Okarin as a safety net of sorts back during childhood, and being super depressed about her grandma dying, are a bit of a mystery to me, however.

I can get the logic behind why someone would do it, but haven't actually experienced it myself, so can't quite emphasize there, you know? Only close family member I've had die was my granddad, and he died when I was too young to remember him much - let alone remember him before he had a mental health issue which led to him being grumpy all the time.
I share your sentiments.

I'm thinking about writing a story on Steins; Gate sometime soon, that is if my creative self sufficiently awakens from its monochrome state.

A bit late to the party, but since I was also incredibly late when it comes to watching the series (started it two weeks ago), I suppose it's only fitting (now I want to invent time-travel just so I can kick past-me's ass in order to stop putting this anime on a perpetual "I'll watch that later" pile). Now I'm considering trying the visual novel and waiting a few days before starting up Zero.

I guess a fanfic bin will be in order too, but I suspect that it isn't the easiest fandom to write for.

While I'm at it, I wanted to take the chance to ask about something I felt the anime left bit unclear (perhaps the VN did a better job explaining)

Why is Kurisu adamant at the start of the show that time-travel is impossible (to the point of making it a central point on her lecture) when it's revealed at the end that she wrote prior to that an entire study on how to make it possible, one good enough to jump start an arm's race between superpowers even? I mean sure, she never gets to show it to her father in the alternate timeline, but it still should be written somewhere.

Why is Kurisu adamant at the start of the show that time-travel is impossible (to the point of making it a central point on her lecture) when it's revealed at the end that she wrote prior to that an entire study on how to make it possible, one good enough to jump start an arm's race between superpowers even? I mean sure, she never gets to show it to her father in the alternate timeline, but it still should be written somewhere.
It's not entirely clear in the VN either, but you can infer. In the alpha timeline, Suzuha crashes into Radio-kan and thus cancels Nakabachi's lecture. Nakabachi never shows up when Kurisu had asked to meet him, and that likely sours her towards him again, and she (metaphorically or literally, it's not clear if she actually has the thesis in alpha, since SERN moves to capture her entirely) bins her work until Okabe gives her reason to reconsider it. Remember, her thesis is only mostly hypothetical, not experimental; it takes Russia months in the beta timeline of 0 to get their machine working. So it's not unreasonable for Kurisu to think her thesis a flight of fancy when her father ditches her yet again.

A bit late to the party, but since I was also incredibly late when it comes to watching the series (started it two weeks ago), I suppose it's only fitting (now I want to invent time-travel just so I can kick past-me's ass in order to stop putting this anime on a perpetual "I'll watch that later" pile). Now I'm considering trying the visual novel and waiting a few days before starting up Zero.
Don't feel so bad. You're only six months later to the party than I was.

How much did you watch beyond the core series? E25, the movie, the shorts... the other SciAdv stories? I watched them all in a row, with S;G as "season 2" after Chaos;Head (bleh, but apparently it was a garbage adaptation of the VN anyway). I loved Robotics;Notes, though, and eventually warmed up to Chaos;Child (in literally the last two episodes).

I'm thinking about writing a story on Steins; Gate sometime soon, that is if my creative self sufficiently awakens from its monochrome state.
...exactly this. There was too much Emo Rintaro and not enough HOUOUIN KYOUMA(!), even towards the end, when he was supposed to have his groove back. That was enough to drop it down to third-place IMO:

S;G = R;N > S;G0 > C;C (ending OVA) > C;H > C;C (TV episodes)

How much did you watch beyond the core series? E25, the movie, the shorts... the other SciAdv stories?

Only E25 and the movie so far. Currently catching my breath a bit before diving in it again.

It's not entirely clear in the VN either, but you can infer. In the alpha timeline, Suzuha crashes into Radio-kan and thus cancels Nakabachi's lecture. Nakabachi never shows up when Kurisu had asked to meet him, and that likely sours her towards him again, and she (metaphorically or literally, it's not clear if she actually has the thesis in alpha, since SERN moves to capture her entirely) bins her work until Okabe gives her reason to reconsider it. Remember, her thesis is only mostly hypothetical, not experimental; it takes Russia months in the beta timeline of 0 to get their machine working. So it's not unreasonable for Kurisu to think her thesis a flight of fancy when her father ditches her yet again.

Hmm. While I get what you're saying, it still seems strange to me that she'd have an adamant "it's impossible" stance (which granted doesn't last that long) when she dedicated a non-negligible amount of time and efforts trying to figure how it could be in fact possible. Nonetheless I guess you're right that disappointment probably played a role.

Hmm. While I get what you're saying, it still seems strange to me that she'd have an adamant "it's impossible" stance (which granted doesn't last that long) when she dedicated a non-negligible amount of time and efforts trying to figure how it could be in fact possible. Nonetheless I guess you're right that disappointment probably played a role.
Yeah, Kurisu tries hard to embrace the image of a controlled, rational scientist, especially given her age and gender, but she's got a lot of heart and passion in her. Her anti-time travel stance early in the story has to be a facade hiding how she really feels.

Back