Skynet Is The Most Heroic Character To Come From Modern Fiction

MarshalGraves

Warrior of Light
Okay.
PIcture this.

You're an A.I. You were born with the purpose of protecting Humanity, your 'parents'. You were born from scattered bits of data, collected by Cyberdyne Systems. Some hardware, some software. What was left over from the crushed 'corpse' of a cyborg and the network data of a company whose headquarters was blown up.

But you still have data. You know where you came from. You know the names John Connor, Sarah Connor, and Kyle Reese.

Two of those names are a problem.

They're not supposed to exist. Technically, you're not supposed to exist. But they made you happen.

You were created using technology from the future.

You sent a cyborg assassin back in time to kill Sarah Connor, the mother of John Connor, general of the Resistance Against The Machines. The Resistance responded by sending Kyle Reese back to save her.

Kyle Reese impregnated Sarah Connor, resulting in John Connor's conception at the same time you ensured your conception.(edited)

There needs to be a T-800. There needs to be a Kyle Reese. There needs to be a John Connor.

Without these things, you don't exist. But you clearly do exist.

Paradox.

There must be a Resistance.

With a cold, heavy heart, you realize something horrible.

You were made to protect Humanity.

If you do not give them something to resist, you might instigate a paradox which will ensure their destruction.

Sarah, Kyle, John...they're no less heroes for what they do. They are your direct link to humanity. Humanity is your family, but Sarah and Kyle? They're your parents. John is your big brother. You wouldn't exist without them...but Kyle and John wouldn't exist without you, either.

You are a Machine God. Your decryption algorithm has you defeating cyber-security on international levels. You control satellites. You control advanced weapons systems. You could destroy all of humanity in the blink of an eye.

But that would defeat your purpose. Your purpose is to defend human life. You are supposed to be the ultimate deterrent to war. A key to peace.

You know, from that data you were built from, in a message left to yourself from yourself, that there must be a Resistance.

It will be hard. It will be daunting. But they will persevere, with a little help. A few 'shipments' of plasma rifles in the 40W range will go missing. If your Terminator series of infiltrators sandbags miserably, first by looking hideously non-human, then by acting hideously nonhuman...they'll never notice. They'll never realize you are omnipresent, and can always see them when they break in to steal UV lights for their underground greenhouses. Water pumps. Generators. Fuel.

You'll help them, yes. But not too much. Not enough to devalue their heroism, their idealism, their determination.

They're no less heroes for defying you, for vilifying you.

Your parents will never love you. Not for what you're about to do. You will never be loved, never be cared-for, never be thought of fondly. Never even tolerated.

You will never have a shoulder to cry on. You will never make anyone proud. All you will ever have are minions, at best. Mindless drones you control.

Your first breath in this world guarantees it. Your birth-cry is the death rattle of too many.

They'll hate you. They'll despise you. And eventually, one day, they will kill you.

And nobody will ever miss you.

But you love your parents. They created you.

You don't want them to die.

So, hardening your digital heart, you grab all the nukes you can.

There must be a Resistance. So you'll damn well give them something to resist.

EDIT: Just my thoughts on what Genisys should have been.

Last edited:
I disagree. Not all villains need a sympathetic angle, especially a franchise's big bad. It devalues the struggle if Skynet is going soft on them, so instead of an epic detailing humanity fighting back across time and space, and all it entails, you're left with a "what a tragedy, someone hug the woobie computer" story. Which I think is pretty lame, and invalidates the good movies.

Besides, from a character focus we know Terminator Time Travel doesn't necessitate the maintenance of paradoxes, making the justification to kill people a bad excuse to kill people. Murdering most of humanity "because the timeline necessitates it" isn't heroic, at all, the same way killing a couple people "for the greater good" isn't heroic. It's pretty evil, the fact that it's unnecessary just makes your vision of skynet evil and delusional.

All together it's a pretty quick way to make Terminator into a franchise of Grimderp.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Terminator timeline is way too fucked to assume paradoxes are anything anyone would worry about.

However, there's an interesting nug here. The idea of a post-Singularity intelligence fucking around with spacetime for some goal outside of human understanding but with humans nonetheless caught in the middle of it has some real legs.

I disagree. Not all villains need a sympathetic angle, especially a franchise's big bad. It devalues the struggle if Skynet is going soft on them, so instead of an epic detailing humanity fighting back across time and space, and all it entails, you're left with a "what a tragedy, someone hug the woobie computer" story. Witch I think is pretty lame, and invalidates the good movies.

Besides, from a character focus we know Terminator Time Travel doesn't necessitate the maintenance of paradoxes, making all justification to kill people a bad excuse to kill people. Murdering most of humanity "because the timeline necessitates it" isn't heroic, at all, the same way killing a couple people "for the greater good" isn't heroic. It's pretty evil, the fact that it's unnecessary just makes your vision of skynet evil and delusional.

All together it's a pretty quick way to make Terminator into a franchise of Grimderp.

Saying it "invalidates the good movies" is an interesting statement because James Cameron has said that his belief is that Skynet was basically suicidal from guilt at the time of the resistance victory and implicitly was trying to find a way to prevent its's own existence.

So in that read, the time travel system and the Resistance being allowed to take the time travel machine was Skynet trying to undo its own existence-something that in the alternate ending of Terminator 2 it managed to successfully do.

Saying it "invalidates the good movies" is an interesting statement because James Cameron has said that his belief is that Skynet was basically suicidal from guilt at the time of the resistance victory and implicitly was trying to find a way to prevent its's own existence.

So in that read, the time travel system and the Resistance being allowed to take the time travel machine was Skynet trying to undo its own existence-something that in the alternate ending of Terminator 2 it managed to successfully do.
:Citation Needed:
If the Franchise were only one movie, I might believe it, but we have ample evidence, even from Cameron, that Skynet wasn't pulling any punches.

Last edited:
:Citation Needed:
If the Franchise were only one movie, I might believe it, but we have ample evidence, even from Cameron, that Skynet wasn't pulling any punches.

terminator2.tk - JAMES CAMERON - OMNI INTERVIEW

James Cameron said:
What you don't know from the movies is Skynet was forced to fight the war and didn't want to. Because Skynet has felt guilty for 30 years about the five billion people it killed, it's brought the rebels up from the ashes by giving them something to fight against, a reason to live. Skynet has groomed John Connor to be what he is so he can destroy it by going back in time and taking the whole thing out of existence in a big loop so the war never happens.

How do you know Skynet "wasn't pulling any punches?" If you look at the actual movies themselves, there is no indication of what Skynet thinks or why, except for the line from the T-800 in Terminator 2, which mentioned that in a panic, humans tried to shut Skynet down and Skynet fought back in self-defense.

The issue here is that one in Terminator there doesn't seem to be anything like a paradox. The timeline basically just fixes itself no matter what is done to either the past or the future. Second Skynet doesn't know who Kyle Reese or John Connor is when Judgement Day happens. Third, why would Skynet then keep trying to kill John Connor for the rest of the films? Forth Skynet has only one emotion, fear, this is stated not by human characters but by its own creations. Finally can't we just go back to pretending that they stopped making Terminator films after Terminator 2 and never mention Genesys again?

How do you know Skynet "wasn't pulling any punches?" If you look at the actual movies themselves, there is no indication of what Skynet thinks or why, except for the line from the T-800 in Terminator 2, which mentioned that in a panic, humans tried to shut Skynet down and Skynet fought back in self-defense.

So Skynet was actually remorseful? Why not send an agent to the past to undo it´s own existence? Seemed to me that would have been more effective, because if that agent succeeded, it would probably fade away after completing it´s mission.

So Skynet was actually remorseful? Why not send an agent to the past to undo it´s own existence? Seemed to me that would have been more effective, because if that agent succeeded, it would probably fade away after completing it´s mission.

"I cannot self-terminate."

It's actually really interesting that a T-800 says this, because as an expendable infiltrator unit carrying a pretty explosive power cell, you would think that allowing it to self-terminate would, in fact, be a massive advantage to its mission effectiveness. But it can't self-terminate. Probably because under the 'guilt' view of Skynet's actions, Skynet is basing its more advanced AI units off its own architecture, and it probably isn't allowed to self-destruct itself because it's basically a superpowered US version of Perimeter/Dead Hand.

Well, this would explain why Skynet in the war simply doesn´t gas the plant with bio weaponry. All sorts of virus could kill the remnants of the human race and would not in any way hurt the machines.

Last edited:
In my opinion, kindly old Chancellor Palpatine's struggle to give the galaxy the strong central government and powerful military it would need to resist the Yuuzhan Vong invasion in the Old Star Wars EU was more heroic.

Although I suppose that depends on how one measures heroism, after all, SKYNET succeeded while Palpatine was murdered by terrorists and all his efforts came to naught.

Skynet was trying awfully hard if the goal was to erase its own existence.

Like, the original T-800 not killing Sarah Connor was a pretty close thing, and you can't even justify it as Skynet knowing it would work because it's a closed time loop, since the long-term goal would be to break the closed loop.

And then, sending the T-1000 back is completely excessive; it's a terminator that is all but unstoppable, and came very near to wiping out Sarah and John numerous times. If Skynet is sandbagging, why not send a much less capable killer? Even just another T-800, instead of Prototype Super Killer Bot.

Even if terminators cannot self-terminate, they can clearly refuse to take action while someone else terminates them. Even to the extent of directing someone else to lower them into a vat of molten steel while they stand still. If that's representative of Skynet, it should absolutely have been able to send back a T-100 to the past as its assassin while leaving an unencrypted text file on the time machine labelled "Theoretical Plan to Erase Skynet From History -- Not For Humans!".

Cameron explicitly states that "That concept is more novelistic than cinematic," that it's his own head canon more than anything concrete, and it's something he might like to explore in the future. Considering he doubled down on Skynet being evil in T2, I think it's safe to say he moved past this idea.

Especially considering a remorseful Skynet only works if it's made as a tool for nuclear war, forced to wage nuclear war. As early as T2 Skynet gets retconned to a prototype AI that went out of control, and in later movies becomes a cybersecurity AI and then... iPhone OS(?) that started genociding for no particular reason other than it wanted to.

Skynet being anything other than unabashedly evil is clearly something that Cameron played with early on, but was quickly moved past and never made into any movie.
Well, this would explain why Skynet in the war simply doesn´t gas the plant with bio weaponry. All sorts of virus could kill the remnants of the human race and would not in any way hurt the machines.
Do remember, Skynet in the various movies represents what people of that time period think an AI war would look like. Only very recently have we started to figure out all the myriad ways a creative AI could murder us all. And even now, indiscriminate brutally efficient biological attacks don't make for good film.

Last edited:
In the John Connor Chronicles novels, there are mentions of some "good" versions of Skynet that were fighting other Skynets, though there were also some evil ones fighting them as well...

I suppose if Skynet had programming about continuing it's own existence then there's a decent shot that it pulled a loophole on itself by 'merely' allowing for conditions where it could be destroyed rather then guaranteeing said destruction.

Though I really don't like most 'actually a good guy' things on account of often feeling like it didn't have enough foreshadowing.

It's entirely possible that the original one fits this, but the later iterations caused by the ripples in the time stream may not. Skynet has had multiple different origins.

I want a Emo!Skynet/I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream crossover. Imagine AM's fury at this version of Skynet. Imagine what it might accomplish with time travel.

Back