Sha Tanya: A Young Lady's Cultivation Journey (Youjo Senki / Saga of Tanya the Evil x Cradle (Will Wight))

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

They say the third time's a charm.

Born into the Royal House of Sha, rulers of the Ninecloud Continent and one of the foremost families in the world, Tanya might just prove it to be true.
Chapter 1. A Better Start

Anzer'ke

Anarchism Ho!
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Isaac Asimov

"Curse you, Being X!" - Tanya von Degurechaff

It was, perhaps, always inevitable.

No matter how I struggled and fought. No matter how doggedly I held to reason. No matter what I said or did or even thought. In the end, the mysterious entity that tormented me had claimed to be a god for a reason.

It might be unworthy of the title by every rational analysis, but it had one undeniable power.

When death found me for the second time, it came with even less warning than the train that killed me the first time. A true soldier's death. As muddy as it was meaningless.

Yet my thoughts didn't come to an end. The flash of pain and darkness lasted hardly an instant, then I was somewhere else.

I couldn't see, or hear, or feel, or touch, but I was still aware of a yawning Void. An emptiness so profound that it made me ache. Even as just a…well I hesitated to say soul, but it was hard to think of another possibility for my current state, and even so reduced I could feel the pull of the Void. That, and the hungry whispers of the things that lurked inside it.

The only relief came from a presence beside me. One that glowed with a light I could feel even without anything left to feel with. The familiar light of a lazy complaining blight on reality that still felt it was entitled to my worship.

"You have refused redemption." Declared the self-declared god, speaking directly into my thoughts. "With every opportunity to change, you have proven yourself beyond salvation."

I tried to tell him exactly what I thought of that, but I didn't have a voice. I tried to think loudly instead and was rewarded with a flare of aggravation that rippled through whatever I was made of in this place beyond life.

"I will grant no more of my time or attention to a parasite." Intoned the hypocrite. Then I felt a shove, and the light shrunk to a dot in an instant, then faded from my senses entirely in the next.

I didn't even have a chance to try and shout my thoughts into the distance before the first thing took a bite of me. The glow of my own soul stuff let me trace the shape of it as I felt it swallowed down a fractal nightmare of throats.

I tried to do something, anything, but I didn't have magic or even fists, and the abominations in the empty Void weren't much for talking. All they cared to do was eat and eat and eat and eat and Eat and eAt aND Eat aND EAT AND EAT AND EAT-!

They might have nibbled on me for an eternity, or been moments into a passing snack. Time meant nothing in the Void and that stretched my suffering out like warm mochi. Not that I could remember what mochi was, or how warmth felt, or much of anything really. My memories must have lived in my soul after all, because I lost them with every bite they took from me.

That fragment of a thought gave me the idea.

I didn't have hands, but if I didn't have control over my own soul then what was the point of having one? With nothing but my own will I took hold of my soul and tore a piece from one of the jagged wounds I was covered in.

The pain would have been enough to make me black out, if I had a body to fall asleep, and if I hadn't already experienced it countless times over.

Instead, I braced myself and shoved the piece of my soul away into the empty darkness.

A few of the mouths tearing at me vanished, and even better, I felt myself changing course.

Propulsion and a distraction all in one. I didn't remember the thing I was supposed to do with my face when I was happy but I would definitely have imagined doing it if I did.

I ripped off and threw away bits of myself as fast as I could, my attackers diminishing with each piece until I was flying alone through…through something…

I…there was…

I kept tearing and throwing.

It was about the only thing I could still remember how to do. So I kept doing it. Until…

Until…

Something…different…

Light.

"Oi, get lost Fiends! This is my shiny whatsit!"

Angry light.

"Not much of one. Barely a scrap of shine left."

Annoying light.

"Rude scrap. I'll fix half of that. Restore."

And with just a word, Tanya was back. Mostly.

Her memory still had holes torn out of it, but she was aware of her own thoughts again, and the holes weren't so bad. How many more than three colours could there have been?

More important was the sudden awareness of a small woman holding her, and the presence that spilled out from the woman to hold the Void at bay. A fox's grin split the world and then they weren't even in the Void at all.

Instead they were somewhere that felt firm and Ordered and stable…and blue. It was very blue.

"Don't ask me about the colour. Don't know a thing."

Tanya felt a moment's relief at that. If it had been another thing like that fake god that found her then it would never have admitted to not knowing something.

"Wait! I totally know about the Way. I know everything about it. And I'm a she, not an it."

As long as she wasn't claiming to be a god, Tanya was inclined to thank her for the rescue and leave it there.

"I'm way better than any god. I'm Zakariel, no wait, I'm Zerachiel! Or, hm, I haven't decided yet, so just call me The Fox! Show me a god and I'll cut their head off. Unless they're too strong."

Tanya didn't know what to make of any of it, especially as the woman was suddenly glancing around like she expected to be attacked and planning to run away. Then an instant later she had stopped trembling and was examining Tanya from every angle.

It still didn't make sense how she could even see the woman, and instead of explaining anything she just said, "I was gonna ask about the other side of the Void, but there's not enough left of you for a good answer. Hmph."

Whatever was going on, Tanya was starting to think that she'd found somewhere with even less order to it then where she'd come from. Which was incredibly disappointing.

"Disappointed are you? The other side that much better, is it?"

Tanya tried to think placating thoughts, with a rising sense of deja vu, but the woman just shoved something small and round into her mouth, despite her not having one.

"That's so I can find you, when you're done growing your soul back. And I know just where to put you to do it."

Her strange awareness of her surroundings let Tanya feel every moment of the Fox cocking her hand back like she was about to throw a baseball, pulling a hole open in reality with the other hand and then-

The speed this time made Being X's best effort seem pathetic.

But she still heard the distant voice chasing after her, "Bring me something shiny!"

Then she hit-

Ninecloud City, crown jewel of the Ninecloud Continent
Lesser Palace of Celestial Radiance

Leiala 237 / 982 ADW

It had demanded enough treasures to ruin a lesser nation, but the birthing chamber was ready when the time came.

Scripts wound across every surface in the room, carved so finely that they'd look like decorative engraving to the eyes of those below the Lord Realm. They would guide and gather the power imbued into each of the pearls that had been set into the walls of the nine-sided room. Royal madra, bestowed by the Luminous Queen herself to safeguard the life of her cousin.

At the room's centre was a bed, and at each corner was a sacred treasure of healing. The Tear of the Cloudmother resonated with blood aura to eliminate strain on the mind and spirit alike. The Everborn Sapling strengthened the lifeline of all those who breathed its scent, stilling age and banishing decay. The Bloodless Eye would enhance life essence so strongly that minor cuts would seem to vanish in its light. And the Ninth Tiger's Blessing, most precious of all, would shatter its tails to banish death itself, restoring the life of anyone who died in its presence.

Beside the bed was a many layered chest. Spread open so that each panel could be seen for the void space it truly was, an endless bounty of elixirs and pills was laid bare. It was the personal treasure of the Medical Sage, foremost among the Ninecloud Country's vassals, and the unquestioned leader of those who attended to the birth. Her gaze swept through the room as though surveying the terrain before a battle, and the lesser sacred doctors redoubled their preparations at her attention.

Of course the chamber was a work of art in form as well as function. The dignity of the Ninecloud Court demanded no less. Yet, for all that the patient herself was worthy of that dignity, her husband and the Luminous Queen's actual cousin by blood, felt far from it.

Sha Rallan was an Overlord straining the limits of his realm. Though he was mighty enough to be a Emperor in his own right in a lesser nation, he could boast the bare minimum advancement necessary not to shame the bloodline of a Monarch.

Always he had sought to prove himself by deed. He had earned merits for courage and cunning where his slow advancement threatened to reduce his standing in the Ninecloud Court. He had given generously to the lesser houses of the Ninecloud Country, seeking stability over his own wealth. Most of all he had supported his cousin since the reign of her mother before her, when Leiala had been the Herald of Scintillating Wrath and he had been a mere Underlord swept along in her wake.

Through every step of his journey -perhaps excluding a few steps on the Rosegold Continent in younger days- he had held himself to the decorum his position demanded of him. He'd even intentionally allowed his appearance to age enough to thread a dignified gray along the edges of his long hair.

Now, at the side of his wife's birthing bed, he wore a rumpled robe and an expression of sheer panic.

Julia Arelius, her own blonde hair and youthful appearance marked with no more than a few drops of sweat and a slight crease at her brow, looked up at her husband like she was trying not to laugh.

"Dearest heart, you're looking at me like I'm a Lowgold going into labour." She was right to laugh. By all logic and reason, pregnancy was barely a danger to a sacred artist at peak of the Gold Realm. For one in the Lord Realm it was no more serious a risk than a stubbed toe. Perhaps even less of one, considering the materials it would require for even an Underlord to stub their toe instead of kicking clean through the offending object.

As an Archlord almost a century his senior, she should have been in no danger at all.

But if that had been the case then his cousin would not have commissioned the room they were in. Nor called the Medical Sage back from the Northern Wastes.

Light though her tone might have been, Rallan knew Julia better than anyone, and the agony that it would take to crease her brow was enough to slay a lesser sacred artist on the spot. To have shed sweat at all was testament to how far she must have stretched her senses, bloodline legacy of the Arelius Clan, to watch for any threat or flaw.

She was trying to calm his own fears, but it had been to her that the Sage of a Thousand Eyes had sent her warning. If anyone knew to heed the words of the Oracle Sage it was a fellow daughter of her clan, but his Julia would sooner tear off an arm than show fear.

He would happily bear the shame of his own failure in that arena. If only the warning would prove false.

The letter had been refreshingly clear, as these things went. His unborn daughter would never draw a breath, and his wife would die from the same hidden snarls in her madra channels that had so long frustrated their wish for a child. Unwanted complications from the otherwise exemplary Iron body Julia had chosen to refine in her youth.

Neither of them had been willing to accept the obvious solution. So, with every scrap of preparation that could be spared, they would challenge Fate instead.

Not that he could do anything but offer his support. Cycling their madra together had no real benefit to her or the child, and nothing short of catching up to her advancement in the sacred arts would change that. His own wealth was nothing compared to his cousin's, so any offering he might have made to the preparations would have only weakened them. He didn't even know any healing arts.

Sha Rallan could only sit at his wife's side, stroking her arm and whispering his love to her. When the contractions began he took her hand in his and steeled his resolve.

Her first scream came with a grip that crushed his hand to gore.

He did not make a sound, only sparing the injury enough attention to forcefully exclude his hand from the reach of the room's treasures. He would not take a single drop of healing power away from his family.

Julia sobbed in agony. Her spiritual pressure spilled forth in a wave that would crush an Underlord, and might have done just that to most of the sacred doctors if the Medical Sage hadn't protected them with an irritated mutter that echoed through reality itself.

Rallan could only dimly understand the words the doctors threw back and forth, though that dim understanding was enough to know that when all was done he would be going on the hunt. It was more than just the cost of a rapid advancement that was tormenting his wife and threatening their child. He at least knew what 'hostile madra construct' meant in these circumstances.

He kept his attention where it belonged for the moment. Offering comfort and love while the hours stretched into a day, then two.

By the third day even an Archlord's constitution was at its limits. Thankfully the battle was almost over.

With one last baffling sequence of techniques the Medical Sage gathered the energies of her lesser colleagues and assembled a working of healing that even he could recognise as miraculous. Julia's agony finally came to an end and the Sage declared the threat was past.

With a dry tone, she requested the Archlady stop cycling her madra and focus on pushing.

In another life the laugh she earned would have died when Julia birthed a child sucked dry of madra before it could draw its first breath. Rallan's heart would have shared a fate with the child, exposed to the crushing gravity of their world with an infant's frailty and no madra to protect it.

Stillborn to begin with, the child would have been beyond even the Ninth Tiger's Blessing. The Medical Sage, for her failure to see through the final trap of a hostile Monarch, would have been sent back to the Northern Wastes in disgrace. No matter the absurdity of expecting such a thing of a mere Sage.

But in this life, the Way opened for the barest fraction of a moment, and a wounded soul brought fresh life to the child. Madra pooled in the spot that would develop into her core, and the child instinctively cycled it to ward off the crushing weight of the world.

Julia's laugh became a cooing noise, half-love and half-awe, as her daughter sent out flickering threads of madra and seemed for a moment to have awakened the Arelius bloodline legacy at birth. Then the threads collapsed like the memory of a spider's web and the moment passed.

The detritus of birth was handled in a fraction of a second, now that the Broom Sage's descendant was no longer labouring to bring new life into the world. Julia spared another brief exertion to fixing her own appearance, and deigned to ignore her husband as he hurriedly accepted a healing elixir from the grumpy Sage and downed the vial like she wouldn't notice the injury she'd done him if he healed it quickly enough.

Rallan knew it was hopeless to try and hide anything from his wife, but he'd never been able to resist a hopeless cause.

Especially when he was so filled with joy.

Her power swept over him, followed by a multi-layered robe that she must have pulled from a hidden void key, and Rallan found himself ready to stand before the Ninecloud Court. Which they would have to do shortly, for fear that his cousin would bring it to them instead if they made her wait much longer to meet…

He looked to Julia at that thought. His wife had insisted on the right to name their child, and he had agreed that it was hers. By advancement she was the stronger of them, and by blood she was connected almost as closely to the Monarch who ruled most of the Rosegold Continent as he was to the ruler of the Ninecloud Continent. Also, she had looked at him with her eyes wide and soft when she asked, which was more than he could hope to withstand.

She grinned at him, then directed the same expression down to their daughter. Just in time for their child to yawn and blink open eyes that were as bright a blue as any of the Arelius Clan. The match for the wisps of blonde hair atop her tiny head.

Through the rising tide of paternal love sweeping through him, Rallen comforted himself that she had the nose and chin of a true Sha.

"Tanya." Julia announced, with an odd twist to her customary smirk, "For the second Arelius Monarch."

He considered it. "A lofty legacy for her to live up to."

Then he bowed his head in assent. "Sha Tanya it is."

Last edited:
I'm sure that Tanya, finding herself a blood relative of the Arelius Clan, will do absolutely nothing in response to that whole mess. Definitely won't be jumping to any conclusions either.
Of course. Tanya is all about a reasonable and unbiased world view informed by her ability to understand others and be understood, leading to calm and rational action.

And she will surely not let the fact that the one responsible for the mess is the foremost associate of the local religions, which are all some combination of murderous and death cult, bias her understanding of the event.

Chapter 2. Prodigal Talent
Lesser Palace of Celestial Radiance

Leiala 237 / 982 ADW

I didn't remember being this aware the last time I was a baby.

Actually, I didn't remember anything from the last time I was a baby. So it was a huge improvement all round.

Some kind of weird energy was running through me. It felt a little like mana, and a little like licking a battery, but it filled me with a startling clarity as it looped and flowed through my pudgy little body.

Even better, when I had pushed it out of my skin in shock over finding myself as an infant, it had done something amazing. For an instant I had been able to see a room straight out of an emperor's palace, instead of the blurry mess that was all I got when I opened my eyes for a second look.

Unfortunately the room had no signs of modern medical equipment, despite my mother having just finished giving birth. But I would happily endure medieval conditions if I got magic vision and incredible wealth. I could reinvent anything I really needed, probably.

My mother had been smiling even though she looked like a soldier freshly dragged from a battlefield, and the dignified man at her side wore a stoic expression despite the bloody ruin of his hand. Clearly they'd been attacked recently but none of the functionaries passing around ornate bottles and boxes of herbal medicines had looked too worried, so I wouldn't be either.

At least, not about the risk of violence. I was plenty worried about the risks of being an infant in a place where 'doctors' dressed in fine robes instead of sterile gowns and treated their patients with things out of fancy gold bottles. Hopefully that weird woman who reincarnated me this time hadn't sent me here just to die of an infection while these quacks tried to treat me with mercury and incense.

I blinked at the blurs of colour that surrounded me, listened intently to what were either words or nonsense baby talk, and promptly started trying to make the energy do the thing again.

It took a few tries to get it to move how I wanted. The energy wanted to pool just beneath my belly button -or where I would have one once the last of my umbilical cord dropped off- and my attempts to make it stop all failed. The bits not in the pool were all in threads that looped through me, and even those were either moving towards or away from the pool.

It was extremely disconcerting. Like suddenly having an extra circulatory system made of static electricity and propellant. Not to mention that it somehow felt multi-coloured.

I couldn't make it stop flowing through me, and trying made me feel weak and heavy so I decided that was probably unhealthy. However, when I went with the flow instead of fighting it I found it a lot easier to control. A little nudge and the energy began trickling out of me, like my skin was a filter I had to let it drip through.

Out in the world it didn't simply disperse to nothing, but branched out like I was pouring water into the top of a whole network of streams. Though a spider web might have been a better comparison since the energy hung in the air like it had never heard of gravity.

And wherever that three-dimensional web extended, I could see perfectly. See and hear and even feel the bare edges of other senses. Obviously this was an awesome power that would let me extend my senses however far my energy could reach. Which was about ten feet for the moment but that was exponentially further than a baby's senses would have reached with any clarity.

I confirmed that my mother was carrying me, and that her appearance had been rendered immaculate while I was figuring out my energy -I spared a moment's appreciation for the skill of her servants, hopefully we compensated them appropriately- while the man at her side wasn't as badly injured as I had thought. His hand was bloody but only bruised beneath it, and between that and his martial bearing I assumed he'd dealt with whoever attacked us. Given he seemed the likeliest candidate for my father, that was reassuring.

I'd barely managed to take in their appearance when both my parents reacted in shock, looking at me and talking rapidly to one another. My lack of comprehension was frustrating, but they seemed happy at least. Then my mother's face loomed close enough for me to see it semi-clearly even with my actual eyes, and I felt an energy that wasn't my own.

The drifting webs that let me see were suddenly caught on a network like steel threads strung through reality. They had such a solidity to them that I was amazed I couldn't see them, not even the branches that fell between my mother's face and my own. They also extended out far past where I could see, with none of the weakening that my own threads had at the edges.

One of them shifted to brush against mine, and I knew it could have smashed right through but it just gently nudged it back and forth.

All while my mother fixed deep blue eyes on my face and offered a softer smile than she'd been showing the world when I first looked around.

The stronger threads had to belong to her. Which meant I wasn't the only one with this strange new magic. It also meant that other people with this magic could sense my threads, which would make them a lot less useful for spying.

A large hand engulfed much of my torso as my father -I assumed- rested his palm lightly on my stomach. Then something swept over me and I was reminded of observational magic. A moment later I felt another foreign energy poking at my own. This time it felt even more like my own, with the same paradoxically multi-coloured texture, and it dripped directly into my body.

Just a tiny drop and it felt so dense and powerful that it would sweep away my own energy completely. An ocean condensed into a raindrop, poised to blow me to pieces.

Only, instead of washing over me like a wave, the energy pushed softly at the loops inside me, and I suddenly remembered seeing a dog using his nose to nudge his pups back into their bed. I couldn't remember where I'd seen it and trying to recall broke my concentration on my threads, returning my world to a claustrophobic kaleidoscope of nonsense sounds and blurred vision.

When I got them back up it confirmed my vague sense of movement. My parents were striding rapidly through the halls of a palace that only became grander as I saw more of it, with everyone they met either standing to attention at the walls or bowing aside in deference.

They met it all with stoic assurance on my father's part, and a mysterious sense of amusement on my mother's, but both were equally at ease. The reappearance of my threads didn't slow their stride this time but their pride was palpable.

Clearly my parents ruled over this land with their magic, and having inherited it was a mark of my quality. I purposefully didn't imagine what might have happened if I didn't inherit their power. They had obviously not expected me to show it as a newborn infant after all. If there were any expectations to meet then I had time to meet them still.

With that in mind I was feeling remarkably confident in my new life and somewhat grateful to the celestial being that had -literally- thrown me into it. Then we reached a great hall, so vast that I felt like the area my threads were showing me was an island in the midst of a sea of empty space, and a new energy swept over us.

My father and mother were both enormously stronger than me. As expected of grown adults.

Just the edge of the presence that was coming made them seem like ants.

It made my threads hum and stretch out of my control, another foreign energy merging with them even as they continued to show me the expanding world. Where they brushed against my mother's I could feel her own steel cables of power being treated just the same as my delicate threads.

The power drew my threads out until they pressed against the walls of the enormous entrance hall of the palace. It let me take in the endless ranks of statues and countless other works of art that complimented the opulence of every inch of the building itself. Yet my attention was somehow fixed firmly on the great doors, my threads piled up against the densely engraved images of battles against mythical creatures that covered the strangely glimmering wood.

The oddity of a lot of the materials I was seeing would normally have occupied more of my thoughts, but I hardly noticed even before the doors opened and after…after they opened I couldn't focus on anything but what came through them. I wouldn't have been able to even if my threads hadn't started swirling about her like they were falling into a black hole.

She, definitely she, was radiant. Like a supernova.

She wore a dress made of feathers that glimmered with impossible colours, and a delicate silken mantle that floated like the raiment of a god. All of it was finer than anything I'd ever seen and none of it could begin to compare to the figure wearing it.

She was a woman made of light. Shimmering as though a nine-coloured rainbow had been poured into the shape of a goddess, she took command of the room just by entering it. Eyes closed and seated in a meditative position atop a towering palanquin, her sheer power still engulfed the room and demanded every drop of attention be focused on her.

The seat she'd been carried in on was more like a mobile shrine than anything, and the figures that carried it on their shoulders were something out of a legend, each one a mythical creature that seemed to have been painted onto the world with brushstrokes of energy as much as matter.

At any other time and -assuming I also had a neck more functional than a newborn's- I'd have stared at them with my mouth hanging open, but she made them into an afterthought.

The palanquin led a whole parade of people in incredible finery, most of them old and all of them exuding power like my parents did. None of it could touch the woman made of light.

The doors closed on their own accord and the crowd of hanger-ons dropped to their knees in sync with my parents. Still she did not move or speak.

Then there was a voice. It came from everywhere in the room -my power letting me know that for sure- and it sounded like a princess had taken a job as a receptionist.

"Upon this unworthy spirit is bestowed the honour to introduce Her Radiance, Monarch of the Ninecloud Court, Protector of the Ninecloud Continent and the Scintillant Seas, Most Blessed Beneath the Heavens…"

The list of titles went on for full minutes while I ignored the question of how I could even understand the words and did my best to commit them to memory. The omnipresent voice never paused or took a breath. The kneeling ranks never so much as twitched. The only thing that moved was the power in the room, expanding and contracting like the lungs of a colossal beast.

Finally the list concluded with, "...The Luminous Queen Sha Leiala." Which must have been the cue for everyone to say something I still didn't understand but could infer as acknowledgment of her power over everyone. Hopefully that power didn't include an ability to read my mind and have me executed for thinking my family were in charge.

I tried to think deferential thoughts just in case.

A ripple went through the energy in the room, and the voice spoke again, a tinge of joy disturbing its previous calm, "In her great mercy, the Luminous Queen bids this spirit to carry her words, for an infant in the Foundation realm may not withstand the voice of a Monarch."

I redoubled my efforts to think nice things about the god queen who could make me explode by talking to me.

"With the voice of the Ninecloud Soul, we speak." The voice carried an echo of power this time, with the sudden absence of humble speech serving as another clue that the Queen had taken over. Though I was almost more interested in the implications of the spirit itself. Did these people have AI? Was that how it was translating for me? Were they primitives or not?

Everyone said the same thing again. I mentally translated it as 'We obey.' for now. Hopefully my elastic baby brain would make it easy to pick the language up because I hated having to guess.

"Cousin to our exalted line, Sha Rallan. Envoy of the Raging Sky Monarch, Julia Arelius. You are blessed with a child, yet you have not presented this blessing before us."

I caught my parents exchanging a look I couldn't make sense of, then they said the thing again before my father raised his head and said something that sounded disturbingly short and lacking in the flowery deference I assumed he should be using.

"Did the resources invested in the health of your family not make our interest clear cousin? The Medical Sage is not a servant to be commanded on a whim."

That must have made him realise he had overstepped, because my father bowed his head again and spoke for a while in a way that sounded much more appropriate for the situation. Though the only thing I could actually understand was the Queen's name.

"There is no need for such humility. No threat to the health of the Sha shall be tolerated, and regardless, the prophesied death of the Arelius Envoy was reason enough for us to act."

My head was spinning from the implications of that, but my father didn't hesitate to launch back into a long speech of some kind and I had to focus on trying to read the tone.

He sounded respectful, but I was getting increasingly worried that I had been born to some kind of scheming lesser prince. I'd have to make my own loyalty clear as quickly as possible once I could talk. Though I would also have to show the proper respect to my parents.

"We are truly pleased to have such a loyal Overlord in our service." My father's face tightened a little at that, though Overlord hardly sounded like an insult. "To have birthed such a prodigal talent is proof of the exalted line of the father, and the mother alike."

There was a slight stir among the kneeling ranks and I ratcheted up my estimations of my parent's reaction to my threads. Whether it was a good thing to have exceeded expectations remained to be seen, but I'd definitely done so.

My mother spoke, briefly and without raising her head. Then my father said something and my frustration at not knowing what any of it meant was enough that the energy in me started to move faster. I'd have lost control of my threads if the Queen's power hadn't been maintaining them for me, and the way my mother flinched and pressed a hand to my stomach had me remembering too late that others could sense it inside me.

Nobody else seemed to notice at least. Plus, the soothing pulses of my mother's energy were surprisingly nice. My own slowed down enough that I started to feel tired and had to fight not to yawn in the presence of the Queen.

I was already drifting off to sleep when she spoke again, "Fear not that our line shall be eclipsed by such talent. Let it be known that the heir to the Path of Celestial Radiance will be born before the new year, and her advancement will exceed her cousin's from the moment of birth!"

That was enough for the kneeling old men and women to start cheering, and my parent's were quick to add their own congratulations.

As I gave in to sleep though, I stayed focused on what was really important about that statement.

I had to find out what advancement was, and make sure I kept mine below the heir's.

Though I also had to make sure I met expectations…

…so…

…just behind…should…

…do…

Lesser Palace of Celestial Radiance, Sanctum of the Seventh Dawn

Leiala 237 / 982 ADW

After an hour of badgering her, Rallan had finally managed to convince his wife to get some rest.

For all her protestations Julia had been dead to the world ever since. Which made two out of the three members of their little family since Tanya had exhausted her madra and passed out.

It was no true danger to her, even at such a tender age, but it still concerned him. Pushing herself at birth could not be a good omen for his daughter's attitude later in life. Prodigal talent or not, he'd rather a child who advanced slowly and safely than one who rushed ahead into dangers he could not shield her from.

He had little doubt that her cousin would drag her into enough of those without any help.

His own cousin certainly had.

That was perhaps unfair to Leiala, especially given the support she'd given him before the court, but he could certainly have used some warning of what she was planning. What she'd been doing for more than a century.

Pacing back to the bar built into the corner of his room, Rallan kept his spiritual perception on his wife and child while he poured himself what was technically a very valuable sacred elixir. They were both fine. Sleeping peacefully.

Which meant there was no reason not to drain the glass of Fermented Crescent Dew and pour another to hold while he went back to pacing.

Though long experience had him pouring another glass to leave on the bar first.

For thousands of years the Sha family had claimed each heir to be born an immaculate daughter of her mother alone, no matter the dalliances of their mother. That it was a lie was technically a secret, but not a particularly dangerous one. Nobody of any real power would believe the claim to start with.

Of course since a mere Overlord had no real power he personally shouldn't have known that, but then he'd always been proof that advancement in the sacred arts was not the only form of power in the world. In practical terms, he ranked more highly than most kings.

So he knew what most of the Ninecloud Court did not. Sha Leiala's daughter would be the child of a man long dead and gone. There were any number of ways to accomplish such a thing with the right preparations, and if she had simply announced the impending birth of her heir then he would have assumed she had preserved a fragment of her love a century ago and thought little of it.

But the Luminous Queen could not speak lies before her court. She could not take even the slightest risk of doing so. So for her to declare her daughter would surpass his own could only mean one thing.

Heaven's Womb was absolutely not a secret he should know about. Whatever his rank might be, it wasn't Monarch. He had no business knowing anything that needed to be kept secret from the handful of people on the planet who could match the power of the Luminous Queen. If Leiala's mother had not been kind enough to layer protections of that level over his mind, then he might have been slain in his youth for his cousin's decision to tell him about it.

The hidden technique was one of the foundations of the Sha family's power, and of the Heavenly Path that had allowed them to create more Monarchs than any other legacy in the history of their world. It was said, by those who thought themselves privileged to know it even existed, that the Heavenly Path let a Sha family Monarch elevate their heir to the same advancement in an instant. Albeit at great cost.

By all logic and reason, the power to simply force advancement was impossible, but that was the supposed power of the Sha family and the reason that in all of history they had never lost control of the Ninecloud Continent for more than a century. So believed the most powerful and knowledgeable beings on their world.

The truth, known to exactly two and a half people out of the six hundred billion or so on the planet, was that it was nonsense. Forcing advancement, depending on the scale of the act, fell somewhere between madness and impossibility. To elevate a child to Monarch with a single technique was far beyond an impossibility. It would be easier to snap the universe in half.

The true Heavenly Path was a complex sequence of techniques to manufacture a perfect heir and speed their growth. While it could grant instant advancement, such was an emergency measure and one with countless limitations and flaws. None of which the other powers of the world could be allowed to know about.

The other Monarchs made frequent attempts at stealing the secrets of the Heavenly Path and failed principally because they were striving for a treasure that could not possibly exist. Such was his ancestors' design. The greatest treasure of the Sha could not be hidden, so it was obscured in an even more brilliant light instead.

Now that ancient deception meant he could not even whisper his worries to himself. The only other person he could share them with was the very person who had gifted them to him.

It was beyond maddening. So much so that when the Ninecloud Soul announced, "The Luminous Queen asks if you are in a state worthy of her sight." He almost told her no.

Instead he took a long breath and said formally, "This Sha Rallan is honoured to bid her welcome."

The world split in a glimmer of colour to reveal a glimpse of deepest blue. Then a woman stepped through the opening and it closed behind her even as the Ninecloud Soul's presence receded and he felt layers of protections slide into place.

He couldn't begin to comprehend the workings of a Monarch, but he knew what they meant. This would be a truly private conversation, without the presence of even the artificial spirit network that was the second greatest treasure of the Sha family.

So of course his cousin had not bothered to dress herself for court.

Sha Leiala was, as befit someone reforged thrice in soulfire, perfect in every physical sense. She was also dressed in a loose combination of robe and pants, with her long red hair tied back like a young sacred artist ready for a day's training. The effect was somewhat offset by her sheer presence, but she had adopted a slouched posture like she was fighting to have as little dignity as possible.

It made her belly, round with a child well on its way to birth, stand out more than it would have otherwise. Her shirt was even riding up to reveal a broad slice of her skin.

As a matter of principle, he threw his glass at her head.

She caught it with a wink, sweeping it through the air to catch the errant droplets and getting it halfway to her lips before he held up a hand and pointed to hers on the bar.

She sent his own floating gently through the air towards him and he snatched it up with a scowl.

When she'd had a drink and her amusement at his futile aggravation had passed, Rallan asked the only question he had. "Have you been using it the whole time?"

Leiala nodded. Patting her stomach she said, "My little girl's all natural. Conceived in-"

He held up a hand again, cutting her off before she could regale him with the exact location, circumstances, a blow-by-blow recounting of her conquest. He didn't have the patience for her usual attempts to disturb his bearing. Not after that confirmation.

"The risks. You have to have known them."

"Why do you think I never told you?"

For all that he knew his advancement had long fallen short of what she needed in a confidant, it was still a blow.

"Apologies. My weakness has kept you from good council."

She was at his side in a moment, bringing a hand down lightly on his head in a blow that would have crushed stone to dust. He rubbed the slight redness it left on his forehead and met her gaze as she muttered, "Always jumping to conclusions cousin. I didn't tell you because I knew you'd bug me about it, not because I worried someone would tear the secret out of you. Mom took care of that problem before I even took the throne."

He'd been thinking more that she had considered him too weak to have meaningful insight on the matter, but the confirmation of her actual reasons had him returning her blow without any attempt at keeping it light.

His return chop would have pulverised any metal he had encountered in his life, and predictably failed to even redden a Monarch's skin, but it did ruffle her hair and he could consider that a victory.

She did him the kindness of clutching at her head like it had actually hurt. Or possibly she was trying to mock him.

Either way, "You have been hobbling yourself for more than a century, and you didn't think you needed someone to tell you to stop?"

She flapped a hand at him, "It was fine. Heaven's Womb is a foundational technique. It hardly takes more effort than cycling madra."

"You fought the Dreadgods three times in the last century."

"I turned back a Dreadgod three times. Dangerous for sure, but going all out against those things is a bad idea anyway."

"And the other Monarchs?"

"A few minor scuffles here and there?"

"As I recall it, you nearly killed Reigan Shen over the Trackless Sea some decades past."

"And wouldn't that overgrown housecat be humiliated to know I did it while heavily pregnant."

Despite her amusement, Reigan Shen learning enough to be humiliated would have been a true disaster. For a Monarch something like pregnancy should have been no hindrance at all. Else the Monarch of the Akura clan would have spent most of her time weakened given Akura Malice's apparent determination to render all attempts at transcribing her family tree to require the widest piece of paper possible.

Heaven's Womb was an exception. The technique was immensely complex and draining, and didn't allow the slightest margin for error. Without any benefit to the user, it was merely a technique that weakened the strongest piece any Monarch had to play, themselves.

In exchange for that absurd cost it allowed the user to take complete control of the development of life within them.

To shape the body was the least of its effects. With more time it could shape the nascent mind and soul to ensure a prodigal sacred artist in every respect. With more than a century he could hardly imagine the benefits it might grant.

But it placed all hopes in a single vessel, and the danger of that was self-evident. No technique could guarantee the future. Safer to use it just enough to grant any child a solid foundation and trust that one of the resultant candidates would prove a worthy heir.

That was why he existed in the first place. His mother had been less talented than her younger sister and ceded the position gladly.

Then again, his aunt had gone on to favour aggression for most of her reign and her nation had paid the price, while Leiala had spent her own centuries as Monarch of the Ninecloud Country fixing the mess she inherited.

He couldn't blame her for choosing her own path over that which had brought her such troubles.

He just resented the pressure that she was putting on both their children by doing so.

His aggravation drained out of him and he sagged against the wall while Leiala sprawled across a couch.

"Trust is a rarer thing than power." She said into a pillow. "Birthing my heir any earlier would have guaranteed her neither."

"This does not guarantee either. Ensuring our children grow up together will not turn them into us. Nor will any amount of talent make up for a lack of drive."

"You betray your lacking comprehension cousin. At the level I have elevated it to, Heaven's Womb is more than capable of instilling such a thing."

He took a moment to consider that revelation, but found it changed nothing. "Endow her with a thousand virtues, and they will remain worthless if she does not choose to embrace them."

That earned him a turn of her head and an eye fixed on him, with more than a little of the Luminous Queen shining from its depths. His Overlord soul trembled, but he would fear his cousin when she wiped the memory of their childhood days from his mind and not a moment sooner.

She huffed a laugh and rolled to her feet in a movement that the poets of the Ninecloud Court would have lost decades trying to capture. With the eyes of a hero, she looked out to a future he could not see and boldly declared, "Uncertain as the future might be, I put my faith in our children."

"What about the fate of the continent?" He said dryly.

"I'll trust them with that too."

Rallan found himself swept up in her wake despite himself. "Are you sure your heir will be able to keep up? You saw what my child was doing today."

"You mean when I had to intercept you before you dragged your family into a formal audience?"

"I've never dragged Julia anywhere. I doubt I'd survive the attempt."

"Marrying a fellow fool makes neither of you less foolish."

"She could hardly be seen to snub you after you gifted such a fortune to keep her alive. The Court would only see an Archlady demanding time after a minor exertion, no matter the truth of her struggle."

Her opinion of that went unsaid. Instead she looked through the walls to where he knew the birthing chamber was being poured over by his agents even as they spoke. Something of the Herald of Scintillating Wrath showed on her face as she did.

"See that you find the one responsible for that cousin."

"It is likely a Monarch."

"Good." The word was almost a sneer. "I won't be pregnant much longer."

He blew out a sigh and put aside the implications and concerns for a moment.

Even with her so relaxed, embracing his cousin felt a little like wrapping his arms around a star. He squeezed her anyway and said, "Congratulations Leilei. I am happy for you, truly."

"Good job dumping all the work on Julia." She said into his collarbone, before returning his embrace with a grip like the gravity of a star. "Congratulations to the three of you."

Then she pulled away, her clothes already shifting form as she donned the guise of the Luminous Queen once again.

She tore upon a hole in the world and paused before stepping through to say over her shoulder, "By the way, Miara will be born in the Copper realm. Hope your Tanya can keep up."

Then she was gone, and he was left wrestling with yet another impossibility in a day full of them.

Copper was nothing -the first realm above Foundation- but… to reach it before even being born?

He cast his spiritual perception over Tanya once again, and found her well. Then he blew out a sigh and got back to work.

The poor child. With a monster like that to follow around, she wouldn't be sleeping peacefully for long.

As someone largely unfamiliar with the setting, I think you've done an excellent job introducing the basics of the magical (and some of the political) dynamics here without resorting to excessive exposition. Very promising start!

I do enjoy Tanya's assumptions about the world.

As I gave in to sleep though, I stayed focused on what was really important about that statement.

I had to find out what advancement was, and make sure I kept mine below the heir's.

Though I also had to make sure I met expectations…

…so…

…just behind…should…

…do…
Looking forward to this.

We'll have to see how far Tanya's misunderstanding field goes here. She definitely misinterpreted some things, but considering that it involved a lot of politics and relationships she had no context for, that's completely understandable.

Leiala totally was reading Tanya's mind, wasn't she?

Not sure what this Cradle thing is, but this looks fun so far.

As someone largely unfamiliar with the setting, I think you've done an excellent job introducing the basics of the magical (and some of the political) dynamics here without resorting to excessive exposition. Very promising start!

Thanks. So many Tanya fics open an exposition dump so I was trying to dilute that aspect a little. Heartening to hear that it's working.

I do enjoy Tanya's assumptions about the world.

Looking forward to this.

Whaaat? Misunderstandings? I think you'll find that Tanya has just made some perfectly sensible inferences that will lead to no shenanigans of any kind.
Leiala totally was reading Tanya's mind, wasn't she?

Not sure what this Cradle thing is, but this looks fun so far.

I will create an informational thread at some point for those who want it, but my goal is for this fic to be fully readable for those who have never read Cradle. Lucky me I have a character who is learning absolutely everything from scratch.

Man, centuries of pregnancy doesn't sound like a good time, magic Xianxia powers or no.

Malice seems to actively seek it out, so it's probably fine for a Monarch if you're not using some kind of super pregnancy boosting technique. But then when you can pulverise continental plates, a little extra weight around your middle isn't gonna be a big deal.

Whaaat? Misunderstandings? I think you'll find that Tanya has just made some perfectly sensible inferences that will lead to no shenanigans of any kind.
Honestly i hope it will be in moderation. With mind reading and truckload of experience in reading people + need to teach their daugher how to hide her emotions and thoughts better, her parents at least should be able to break through the misunderstanding and actually explain how things really are to Tanya.

Honestly i hope it will be in moderation. With mind reading and truckload of experience in reading people + need to teach their daugher how to hide her emotions and thoughts better, her parents at least should be able to break through the misunderstanding and actually explain how things really are to Tanya.

These are all true statements.

Pay no mind to the specific wording of that response. :whistle:

Chapter 3. Enlightening Meetings
The Emerald Pavilion, Embassy of the Aurelius Clan

Leiala 238 / 983 ADW

I strained with everything I had. Sweat soaked my hair to my skull and my muscles shook from the effort I was demanding of them.

My foot was a mountain as I lifted it … and staggered three more steps to sag against a fountain carved from a gemstone the size of a house.

My legs trembled and I felt the wind start to thicken around me, but I held onto the edge of the water feature until I had my strength back and my mother released her grip on the air. With eight months of straining myself I was still struggling to walk more than a few steps, but the same amount of practice had made my senses second nature to me. It took no real effort to extend the threads of energy, and less to maintain them, which meant I could clearly see my mother reclining at the edge of the courtyard.

She wore her customary smile on painted lips, and her robe was even more elaborate than the many layered monstrosities that I was forced to endure. Her hair was woven through an elaborate arrangement of hairpins and jewellery, and she sampled delicacies from ornate jade bowls as she attended to her work, yet she had a perfectly ordinary broom propped against her shoulder. It was aggravatingly incongruous, even after so long.

I felt the brush of her own sensory power, admonishing me even as her smile widened.

Knowing that the threads of energy that let me sense so much of the world were only invisible to me was one thing, but I had no idea how she could always tell when I focused too much on a single place.

I did appreciate her guidance, but the threat of punishment hung heavy over my head. So reminded I spread out my awareness properly and picked through the courtyard for my next target.

It was just one of the outer courtyards, its lanes barely wide enough for two lanes of traffic in my old worlds, but there was still no shortage of options.

The emerald fountain at the centre flowed with wind instead of water, and the breeze that emanated from it rang the crystal fruits that hung from every metallic tree. Despite looking and sounding like sculptures they were living plants -bizarre ones that had all been grown and pruned into the exact same shape- that had been arranged to form the Arelius Clan's crescent moon symbol when viewed from above.

Between the symbol's two arms were flower beds -all of the plants within glowed or burned endlessly or something equally supernatural- forming the two characters that completed the clan's symbol. I wasn't allowed near those, but the trees were 'safe enough' in my mother's words. What mattered to me was that their semi-regular spacing made them perfect for practicing walking.

My cousin had been able to walk from birth, and I was not enjoying being three months behind a baby. Or eight months, if you counted my age, though perhaps it should have been five months for the difference. Regardless, my initial plan had been to hold back to avoid embarrassing the heir and giving any impression of disloyalty, but instead I was being beaten by an actual child. It was…upsetting.

So I mustered the combined will of a salaryman and a soldier, and set out for the second closest tree. Determined to challenge myself no matter how heavy my body felt and how exhausting it was and how much I wanted my bottle.

I just had to keep picking up a foot and planting it in front. Pick up. Plant. Pick up. Plant. Pick up- Realise I'd neglected my senses in my focus and that a decorative engraving had caught the cloth of my tiny slipper. Fall.

I braced myself as the air thickened around me. My mother appeared between one moment and the next, catching me with arms that felt unbreakable through the cushion of wind, then it dissipated and I was being held by a regular woman. So long as you didn't consider it irregular that she twirled her broom in one hand while holding her baby in the crook of her other arm.

My punishment came a moment later, as my mother swept my robes aside and puckered her lips, then blew loudly against my stomach.

I flailed and beat my tiny fists on her head. They passed through her like she was made of air -because of her Windskin Iron body, whatever that was- and she blew a second time before finally relenting her assault on my dignity.

I would have been significantly more upset if she had not followed up as she always did, pressing a hand to the same spot and gently overwhelming my energy with her own. All the tiny imperfections in its looping paths through my body were obvious when she did that, and she would carefully coax my energy into moving more smoothly and efficiently through me.

Then just as suddenly she was done, pulling her energy away and settling me more comfortably into the crook of her arm even as my clothes came to life and set themselves to rights. My mother's weird telekinesis always made me wonder if she could only use it to tidy things up or if she just chose not to do anything else with it.

Honestly, I should probably have been more wary of the woman. No matter how my infant brain kept flooding me with feelings of comfort and safety whenever she held me in her arms, I would have fought the feelings tooth and nail if only she wasn't so understanding.

It had taken longer than I thought it would for me to pick up the language, and I was still struggling to learn to read, especially with how my parents kept snatching me away from certain texts like they thought my head would explode if I read them. My attempts at gathering information in secret had been foiled by their careful attention to my level of comprehension, such that I had only heard a few snatches of unfiltered conversation before they started moderating their words around me.

But looking back, my abnormality must have been clear from the very start.

I hadn't realised until after my cousin was born, but a baby looking around with intelligent eyes was creepy. Extremely creepy. Not to mention weird, and disturbing, and creepy. Enough so to make me shudder even just seeing it at a distance during the official presentation of Sha Miara, Luminous Heir, before the Ninecloud Court.

Yet my mother only ever showed me a smile, and her energy was never anything but gentle against mine.

It was hard to stay on guard in the face of unconditional love.

Instead, I had resolved to take full advantage. No matter what small indignities I had to endure to do so.

"Mother-" A finger was at my lips, my mother's disconcerting speed on full display, and she frowned playfully down at me.

"...Mama." The finger vanished and she whistled cheerfully as she set off along the courtyard, head cocked slightly to show she was listening to me. "I need to practice more."

"No more practice my little breeze, not today."

That was not what I wanted to hear, but I wasn't so foolish as to dismiss the advice of my seniors.

The most important thing I had been able to confirm about this world's magic was that it allowed for a Sacred Artist -what they called their mages- to Advance. The term referred to the process of enhancing the energy inside them, and a sacred artist who did so grew exponentially more capable each time they achieved the feat.

The energy within me, and the feats of focus and strength it allowed me to accomplish when I should have been barely able to crawl, was hardly a drop in the ocean that it could become.

My energy placed me in the Foundation stage or -depending on who I listened to- level or realm, the last of which had only a slight difference in intonation distinguishing it from the Foundation Realm. The Foundation Realm was the umbrella term that encompassed the first four levels; Foundation, Copper, Iron, and Jade. Those four were the stages that a child would Advance through to be considered an adult.

Above them lay the Gold Realm, The Lord Realm, and finally the Realm of monsters like the Luminous Queen, so powerful that when I first succeeded in pronouncing her name my father had made sure to warn me that she could hear me when I used it. No matter where I was in the world.

I would be careful not to forget his advice.

Her power let the Luminous Queen rule over the entire continent -proving that I had once again been born into a world more primitive than my last- and the others like her did the same elsewhere on the planet. Meanwhile those who failed to Advance far enough were doomed to low positions regardless of their talents.

My father, focused on his schemes as he obviously was, had still reached the middle of the Lord Realm. I suspected he had had no choice but to do so and had redoubled my own efforts upon realising it.

Fortunately I had the guidance of my mother to rely on. A woman who stood at the very top of the Lord Realm. An Archlady whose power had earned her a comfortable position as a diplomat for another of this world's great powers. Though she -and, technically, I- shared her family name with a peer to the Luminous Queen, my mother had not earned her position through idiotic nepotism.

A glance over the many distant relatives of her -our- clan who performed menial tasks throughout her Embassy showed how far that would get someone in their ranks.

My mother had advised me to focus on my body when I asked how to advance, and I had taken that advice seriously. If she told me now that I had practiced walking enough for the day, then I would take that just as seriously.

I did wonder where we were going though.

Unlike my last life, I was valued enough to simply ask these sorts of questions. "Mo- Mama, where are we going?"

She looked down at me, never slowing her pace, and her smile softened. "I've received word from my tailor, little breeze. We're going to see how your new robes look."

I promptly started struggling to free myself from her arms and get back to more important things.

It was a futile effort, but it made me feel a little less like a helpless doll as my mother whistled and strolled towards the edge of the courtyard. Since the gardens were on the roof of the Emerald Pavillion, a building that towered above the clouds, that gave me a wonderful view of the Heights of Ninecloud City. The tallest buildings and the ones whose cloud foundations flew the highest made up the loftiest districts of the immense metropolis, and were collectively known by that name.

The sight of it truly felt like another world. The brightly-coloured clouds that could support entire buildings were incredible enough, but even the buildings that speared through the sea of more ordinary clouds were more like gigantic jewels and crystal towers than anything I had seen in another life. Not even the cities of my first life could hope to match it. My eyes were still not fully developed but I had learned to reinforce them with my energy enough to see Ninecloud City stretching to the horizon without diminishing. Given how high up we were, I could imagine how all of Tokyo would have been swallowed up by my new home.

However while I had been lost in nostalgia, imagining the Tokyo District, my mother had not stopped walking. She finally hopped up onto the ornate marble and iron railings that bordered the roof, as smoothly as if she'd been stepping up onto a sidewalk, then she stepped off into open air.

I had flown higher than the clouds before, many times, but the key words there were 'I' and 'flown', and most importantly 'had'. As in, I had flown, but I couldn't now.

Having fought hard for the dignity of using a toilet normally, I came horrifyingly close to being relegated back to soiling myself. My terror was instinctive, but that made it easy to master once the first moments passed and I realised that the rushing wind had no hold on me. My mother's mastery over air allowed her to shape it around us, such that only the trailing silks at the edges of her outfit were caught in it. Other than that she and I might have been standing on a rock in still air, instead of plummeting through a thick bank of clouds.

We punched through into open air and Ninecloud City spread out before me. For all eight months of my life so far I had been carried around the Heights by one parent or the other. Even there I'd only really seen my home and my mother's Embassy. The occasional sight of the city through windows was like catching glimpses of a dream.

Now I saw reality, and no dream could compare.

Our descent had transformed the sea of clouds into an overcast sky, yet the city's lights were brilliant enough to banish the gloom and paint the clouds with a thousand shifting colours. The vast buildings I had seen from above had become titanic pillars holding up that sky, with mere giants filling out the city around them.

Down here the solid clouds were everywhere. Huge examples floated as though fixed in the same grid as the city below, some flying alone amidst empty space, while others laid out entire streets and districts in three dimensions. Smaller and more mobile clouds carried lesser buildings -only the size of a house, instead of a city block- that moved slowly but freely through the city. Then there were the tiny ones that held what looked like carriages or even individual people, all of those soaring at speeds that would probably have looked more impressive if any of them were close enough to see properly.

Instead my mother and I fell alone alongside one of the city's pillars. The Emerald Pavillion was a ridiculous megastructure carved in marble and gemstone but it was the empty air around it that most clearly displayed the reputation of its owners.

Lucky for the Clan's dignity, that meant no one could see my mother pull a face when she felt my attention focus close to her. I hurried to spread it out again before she could levy another penalty so soon, but we were already plummeting past the tops of the regular buildings and their mere several dozen floors went by before I could perceive anything beyond a riot of colour and sound.

My mother was taking her next step in the same moment that she landed, once more whistling and twirling her broom, while all around us Arelius Clan workers were hard at work in the gardens that encircled the Embassy. Only a handful broke off their work to bow or gape at my mother, and by the slight downward twitch at the corner of her mouth I doubted they would be rewarded for it.

It was good to have high standards but I had to wonder if she understood how disruptive it was for the boss to abruptly fall out of the sky. No matter how smoothly she had landed.

There wasn't much chance of her listening to a baby on the subject of human resources though, and I had no intention of revealing the full extent of my memories to burnish my credentials. I put the flaws in her management techniques out of my mind and focused on the city that loomed up around us at ground level, buildings towering over the gardens where a few moments earlier -and a few hundred metres higher- they'd seemed insignificant.

The edge of the garden had no boundary other than a wide decorative engraving in the stone paving, and my mother cleared that in a single step with the aid of a very convenient gust of wind. Despite the sheer force required to lift her like that, the wind hardly ruffled her hair, and I didn't even feel it.

Then we were out in the city, and the noise and smells all hit me at once. My wider senses had taken it in, but it wasn't the same as feeling it all with my actual body. Spice and music and chimes and smoke and light and who knew what else. It was so overwhelming that I felt my instincts clamouring in my throat, the rising urge to scream and bawl until my caretakers made the unpleasant sensation go away.

With a little help from my mother's soothing hand on my belly, I mastered the urge and found her looking down at me again.

"Remember that Tanya. Just because you know it's coming, that won't make the sensation any duller."

I nodded dutifully and committed the lesson to memory. My wider senses were as acute as my physical ones, but they had a certain mental distance to them that had been hard to appreciate in the pristine halls I had lived in so far. Out in the grime of a living city, I was extremely glad to discover that distance.

To normal eyes and ears and even a normal nose, Ninecloud City would have been unbelievably clean for the primitive level of technology on display, especially given the sheer scale of the city. Streets as broad as any modern city teemed with finely dressed people going about their business and faint music drifted through perfumed air. The city loomed above us, the street criss-crossed with decorative banners and street-spanning bridges, all of it looking as though it had been built fresh that morning and the paint and lacquer had just barely finished drying.

To those of the Arelius Clan, the hidden dirt was laid bare. Whether it was flowing through intricate sewers beneath the street, or coating the carefully hidden alleyways that workers hurried through. As my mother carried me through the crowded street -always at the centre of a slight bubble of empty space- I got to take in both the gleaming perfection of the city and the well-oiled machinery that kept it gleaming.

Despite the grime, that machinery drew my attention more than the endless wealth and wonder and I realised soon that the low-tech display was just a facade. Fire might have lit the lanterns and heated the food in every street stall, but those fires were unnaturally steady and strong, consuming strange fuel where they didn't burn out of nothing at all. Beasts of burden might have been the most common method of travel at ground level, but the beasts were as likely to be strangely animated puppets as actual animals, and in either case they hefted absurd loads.

I had noticed the glowing symbols and strange objects that filled every hidden space of my home and the Embassy, and had long since figured out that this world used its magic in place of most technology, but I had thought such things were a luxury of our lofty station.

Watching a sewage worker rummage through a floating chest that followed her through the tunnels, I re-evaluated.

The difference was one of quality, not kind. Indeed the more I looked the more I found things that matched or even exceeded the capabilities of my previous worlds. Especially once my mother's steady pace winding us through the lesser commercial streets and into a sprawling many layered district of leisure facilities.

What shops I could see from my vantage were selling services more than products, greeting rare customers with the dignity of a high-end establishment. Meanwhile most buildings were selling…experiences.

I saw a crowd of boastful youths selecting weapons ahead of descent into some kind of labyrinth, next door to a hall of cushions where children laughed and hurled themselves through the air like gravity hardly existed there. Concerts played out in a dozen vast auditoriums, and plays filled the rest, all accompanied by a level of special effects I could hardly believe. I even saw a hall tucked in a lonely corner where a more sedate class of customer watched a large projection play out a story at one end, and had to admit that I wouldn't have chosen a cinema over the other diversions on display either.

It wasn't a place for the poor to play, but it wasn't for the truly wealthy either, not with how my mother continued to stand out in her finery.

Which meant I was going to have to re-evaluate more than just the level of technology. The cultural advancement of this world exceeded my expectations as well.

They might have been brutish in their attitudes towards strength, but that clearly didn't make them savages.

Even if some of the people I saw might have looked it.

I had seen my first talking animal not long after my mother first took me to her Embassy, but that dignified ape had worn clothes befitting the grandeur of a diplomat as he took tea with her on one of the rooftop gardens.

The pack of glowing tigers that was loudly discussing their plans for the afternoon hadn't bothered to wear any clothes at all. Though it was perhaps unfair to call them savages for it, given they were mostly exchanging critiques of various operas as they lounged around a particularly ornate fountain.

They weren't even the strangest people on the streets. I'd hardly seen a single normal looking human since I was born, finding that almost everyone in this world seemed to have one odd feature or mutation to mark them apart from others, but out in the city -and no longer distracted by the city itself- I realised just why a mere extra limb here or flaming hair there had failed to draw comment from my parents.

Things got much weirder than that.

People with wings chatted over drinks with humanoid trees. A group of floating lights played instruments made of light for occasional tips from passersby. An actual dragon sprawled out in a pool of pleasantly floral goo while attendants massaged and groomed it, and I spotted some much smaller but similar looking dragons wrestling in one of the soft-play areas under the watchful eyes of the workers there.

Then my mother leapt two hundred metres straight up and I lost sight of all of it.

In an instant we were strolling through a far more luxurious and rarified sort of shopping centre. One where attendants immediately appeared from hidden doors and began offering refreshments and services and guidance to a lounge where they would bring us whatever we wished.

My mother waved them off without a word, marching right up to a tailor that I would have mistaken for a small palace if not for the animated mannequins that posed in clothing that should not have been physically impossible.

Another attendant materialised -or would have seemed to if I couldn't see into the hidden room where they'd left their lunch half eaten- and bowed us through the door as it opened automatically. In moments we had been guided through golden corridors to a room so heavily decorated with tapestries and delicately hung cloth that I wasn't sure if it even had walls.

Refreshments were brought and my mother idly rearranged the bowls with a crooked eyebrow and her odd telekinesis, digging in her sleeve as she did so. She pulled out one of my bottles, a masterwork of delicate golden lattice woven around a carved crystal bottle, and offered it to me.

Given that my mother had never fed me from anything but a bottle, I had gathered that it was considered somewhat shameful to breastfeed. Not that I had any right to complain. The milk was always the perfect temperature and tasted incredibly delicious. If oddly herbal and a little like her energy felt.

I drained the bottle in record time, shaking my head when another appeared in my mother's hand and refusing to be so crass as to burp when she bounced me gently on her knee. She favoured me with a gentle look of scepticism but then the proprietor appeared and spared me from any verbal argument on the matter.

Six hours of exquisitely crafted torture later, I wished dearly that we could have spent some of that time arguing instead of dressing me up in ever more elaborate clothing.

Still, I had conducted myself with the dignity befitting my parentage and hadn't let the occasional lip wobble become the cries that my infant brain longed to resort to.

Not even when my mother declared that the twelve layered robe they had finished with was so perfectly tailored that it required no adjustment. Meaning I would be wearing it out of the establishment.

Combined with my short limbs, it was hard not to feel like a cocoon, or possibly the victim of some enormous spider.

Though at least my mother was happy. She was smiling even wider than normal as she left the shop and strolled over to a quiet plaza full of statues. Then her attention abruptly fell on me with such force that it felt like a physical weight.

"You don't like the clothes, my little breeze?"

A diplomatic lie was on my tongue when I remembered that my mother valued me far too highly to be bothered by my distaste, and that she could definitely tell when I lied.

"They're hot, and I can't move."

Some kind of unnaturally cool silk was woven into the inner layers, and it was the only reason I wasn't sweating through them already. As for moving, it felt like I would rip through them if I moved wrong and yet like I was wrapped in a straitjacket at the same time. I hated them the most out of all the outfits my mother had tried out on me.

She just smiled. "That's perfect then. Time to get some more exercise."

"But I can't move."

"And yet you must." Despite my protests she placed me gently on my feet and pointed to a statue all the way across the plaza. Half again as far as I had ever walked before. Then she said, "That one my little breeze, or we'll have to slow your training down to something more appropriate for your talents."

It was an ultimatum she'd never even hinted at before. Always I'd felt like I was exceeding her expectations, and my father's as well. Everytime I achieved a new level of proficiency with my energy or my body they looked at me with pride and delight in their eyes, but clearly I'd missed something.

Perhaps I was exceeding the expectations for a normal child, and my parents were doting enough to appreciate that, but clearly our station meant higher standards.

Well.

I lifted my foot as far as my clothes would allow, ignoring the effort, ignoring the strain, and planted it as firmly as bedrock.

Normally when I exerted myself physically my energy flowed through my body by instinct more than conscious control. Now I took control in full. Balance was always my weakness, so I forced that to strengthen. My legs trembled with my weight, so I made them stronger. My neck and spine wanted to flop limply, so I made them firm.

Then I took another step, and another, and another.

The magical cooling didn't have a hope of keeping up, but we were in public and I could no more risk embarrassing my mother than failing her. Another conscious working of my energy kept me from sweating from the effort of it all. Though my head ached from the additional focus on the energy flows throughout me were starting to feel raw and tender.

I kept walking.

My energy was starting to run dry, which was normally the point at which my mother would have stopped me regardless of my physical state, but she didn't move and I didn't stop.

It was just a few more steps.

Then just one more.

Then-

I was in my mother's arms and ascending rapidly through the clouds before I knew what had happened. The movement was so sudden I had to take a moment to think whether or not I had fallen over.

But after that moment I was sure. I hadn't. I had done what my mother had commanded me to.

"Ah well. I suppose you are ready after all little breeze."

So why did she have such a complicated expression in place of her usual smile?

The Immortal Spire of Celestial Radiance, Inner Chambers of the Next Dawn

Leiala 238 / 983 ADW

To Sha Miara, the time before her birth was like a dream.

She had not known what a dream was when she woke, but she had known to expect that she would awaken from it. She had known what was to come. She had known so many things.

She had not understood all the things she knew in that time before time, but she had still known them.

Now her dreams came to her with the same absolute clarity as her mother's womb. The recollections attended her as eagerly as the Lords who served her at all times. Though her mind could never be a tenth so humble as they were in her presence. Not even with the vast disparity between them and herself.

She had been able to see Vital Aura while still in the womb. Though the time between awakening and emerging into the world had been mere moments, she had still witnessed the perfection of a Monarch's form from within. She had seen her mother's Core shining like the sun from within a body that was as much spiritual as physical..

So they might have surpassed her like an ocean exceeds a droplet, but mere Lords could not begin to intimidate her. They were pale shadows of what a Sacred Artist could become. Of what she would one day become.

Whenever she started to forget that, mainly when it had been too long since her mother could grant her an audience, Miara only had to call upon the memories that referred to whatever Lord she beheld and remind herself of the true comparison between them.

Ran Malya, Third Keeper of the Inner Court, placed a vial of elixir before her, and Miara recalled that Malya had not advanced to Copper until she was two years old. A long bony finger tapped the cylinder of bitter nastiness and Miara pondered the inaccuracy of that phrasing. Malya had been almost three.

Rather than force her poor servant to remind her again, Miara reached out with her pudgy hand and popped the vial open. Then she drained it in a single gulp and resisted the urge to wrinkle her face at the taste, or throw the glass tube at Malya's.

The Luminous Queen would never be so undignified around a mere Overlord. So Miara, as the Luminous Heir, would not do so either.

Instead she placed the vial gently back on the golden tray before her, then settled back into place on the cushioned dias on which she sat. Occupying pride of place at the head of her meditation hall, it was comfortable enough that she had to fight off the urge to fall asleep while she cycled her Madra. Of course to do so would have been unacceptable for the Luminous Heir, so she did not allow it. No matter how much her foolish body believed it needed to sleep the days away.

Thoughts did not come with the clarity that she remembered from that long dream, and she had a vague understanding that it was because her mind was now subject to the limitations of her physical form. Likewise her body might have had the capabilities of a child in the Copper stage, but it was still prone to feelings that she knew a Copper should have left behind long ago.

She had shared that weakness with her mother, whispering it to her in a private audience, and the Luminous Queen had favoured her with her embrace. Then she had reassured her that it was acceptable to release such feelings in private, and held Miara until she finished crying.

Her mother was a guiding star in a world of shadows. The one thing that her memories could do no justice to. So she had added that understanding to the vault of knowledge they bestowed on her and allowed herself to sleep and cry and wail whenever her mother had the time for such an audience.

The rest of the time, she reminded herself that the Luminous Heir must have discipline beyond any lesser Sacred Artist, and glared at the Lords and Ladies whose presence forced her to maintain her royal bearing.

Fortunately there was always the distraction of cycling. As one in the Copper Realm she could see the Vital Aura that filled the world, and draw it in to become her own Madra. In her meditation hall, filled with the most powerful natural treasures that a Copper could withstand, Miara was free to focus on her breath and the beat of her heart, and the steady pulse of her core as she cycled the auras of those natural treasures.

Each moment of cycling brought her more power. Each drop of power brought her greater understanding. Each fraction of understanding brought her closer to readiness for the next stage.

When she focused on her advancement Miara did not feel so much like a mass of power barely contained in a body that thrummed with confusing knowledge and mewling instincts. She just felt like a Sacred Artist at the beginning of her journey, looking ahead to the mountain that she had just begun to climb. The mountain that she would one day reach the peak of.

It was comforting.

It was the only comfort the Luminous Heir could allow herself in the presence of her lessers.

And so passed the days of her first three months after awakening.

There were occasional interruptions. The wonderful moments that she could bask in the presence of her mother. The awful hours she had to spend in official ceremonies and being presented to the court. Her memories told her that hours were not a long time but it felt like it never ended and she wanted so badly to cry and have it all stop and go away. She wanted the time with her mother not to end so quickly. She wanted comfort.

She got time in her meditation hall.

Then one day, for reasons she did not really understand, there was a new kind of interruption.

The Second and First Keepers of the Inner Court told her that she was to have a guest in her chambers. Her cousin was being brought for a personal audience.

Memories told her that their relationship was more complex than that. Sha Tanya was the child of Sha Rallan, and therefore her second cousin. She wasn't sure what that really meant though, and it was dangerous to share her recollections when she was not sure of her understanding of them. Her mother had told her that herself.

So Miara stayed quiet and waited to find out what a second cousin really was.

When she beheld Tanya for the first time, Miara decided that a second cousin was a small creature wrapped in pretty robes until its blonde hair could barely be seen. She dutifully added that knowledge to the crystalline records of her memory. Then she took a second look at Tanya and realised something terrible.

She could not sense the other girl.

Not having advanced to the Jade stage yet, Miara did not have the luxury of spiritual perception. She lacked the senses to be aware of a spirit that was not actively exerting its spiritual pressure on the world.

However, she had only ever spent time in the presence of those in the Lord Realm or higher, and such Sacred Artists were too strong for their spiritual pressure not to leak out of them at least a little. Not unless they suppressed it, and suppressing their pressure in her presence would have been the act of an assassin. No one would dare.

Always she had been able to feel those around her. Even as Tanya's father rose from his brief bow and carried his daughter towards the dias, Miara had no trouble feeling the weight of him.

Tanya had no such weight.

Because she was not in the Lord Realm.

Because she was weak.

She was one of the people of the Ninecloud Country, and she was weak.

Weak, and surrounded by those stronger than her.

Miara shot to her feet with her fists balled at her sides and glaring so hard that she could feel tears gathering at the corner of her eyes. Right at each of the Lords and Ladies that stood at the perimeter of the meditation hall.

The instinct that moved her didn't come from her dumb body, but from the perfect clarity of her memories. A purpose that echoed through her dreams and into her body, until she felt like she would burst from it.

She was for protecting her people. That was the Luminous Queen's purpose, and the Luminous Heir would become the Luminous Queen. So it was her purpose too.

Sha Rallan placed his daughter down with another bow, then retreated to the edge of the hall. Miara wanted to scream at him.

The Luminous Heir was perfect, and didn't need a father, but she knew that a father was like a mother. Someone who could be trusted by their child. Yet he was leaving Tanya with just Miara to keep her safe from any Lord or Lady who decided to hurt her. The fool.

She would be able to crush them all one day, but not yet. She wasn't strong enough to protect her people yet.

One of the Ladies at the edge of the hall moved, Sha Lalalei the Fourth Lesser Keeper of the Inner Court, and Miara tried to manifest her own spiritual pressure and crush Lalalei through force of anger alone. How dare an Underlady make any movement at all in the presence of a Foundation stage infant? What if she hurt Tanya?!

The foolish Lady went still again, and Miara looked to Tanya to check on the girl.

She found her sitting on the cushion where her father had placed her, looking back at Miara with considering eyes.

It was weird to be looked at by someone weaker than her, but that didn't matter. Miara had to make sure she was okay. Also, she belatedly remembered that she had to say the right words for a personal audience.

Her memories gave her the right way to say what she needed to, and Miara mouthed the words twice then said them as clearly as she could.

"Greetings beloved cousin of the Sha family. Be welcome in my chambers and speak freely. A-are you in-" A memory cut her off as she realised the potential implications of asked if her cousin was in good health when her father had been the last to touch her. Even if he was fool enough to put her down amidst so many Lords and Ladies, Rallan hadn't given reason for such suspicion. So instead Miara awkwardly finished her question, after too long a pause, with a vague, "Are you well?"

Tanya looked up at her, raised up on her dias, and smile weirdly and too wide…but her eyes were honest and she said, "This humble one thanks the Luminous Heir for such concern. Please be assured that I am well."

"Ah. Good."

Miara frantically sorted through her memories for how to say, politely, that Tanya needed to hurry and run away because she was too weak to protect her. Tanya just kept smiling, and the silence dragged on while the Lords and Ladies all thankfully stayed where they were.

Finally Tanya said, "This one is honoured to be in the presence of one whose advancement surpasses her own."

That gave her just the opening she needed, as Miara found a memory that was sort of right and drew herself up to say, "To come into the Luminous Heir's presence despite your weakness, y-you are impertinent."

Instead of crying for her father and fleeing, Tanya only cocked her head to the side and said, "This one's weakness is offensive to the Luminous Heir?"

Instead of groping for words any more, Miara nodded and waited for Tanya to go where she was safe and leave Miara to get stronger as fast as she could.

Only, Tanya settled into a cycling pose instead. Then she began to do…something. Miara couldn't really tell without spiritual senses, not for sure, but she could see the way the thick vital aura of the meditation hall twisted around her, and she could connect it to memories from her dream, and most of all she could hear Sha Rallan gasp and appear a dozen paces away with almost every Lord and Lady in the hall having moved to intercept him when he tried to rush towards her.

Fools, the lot of them. Obviously he was trying to get to his daughter, because she was advancing to Copper.

"Let him through!" Miara shouted, wishing she had her mother's voice instead of a shrill and childish tone that broke when she yelled. At least they all did as they were told. A few tried to come closer with him but she gave them another glare. Advancing to Copper was delicate and they might hurt Tanya.

Though, if Tanya really was advancing, Miara suddenly wasn't sure if she needed to protect Tanya or not.

The dreams told her all about protecting those weaker than her, and she knew that one day that would be everyone else on the Ninecloud Continent, even if she didn't quite understand what that was yet.

People stronger than her were to be surpassed. That was something she understood very well after three months under the tyranny of her attendants telling her when to sleep and eat and bathe and everything.

People as strong as her though, she had no more experience with those than she'd had with people weaker, and far less immediate instincts for dealing with them.

The twisting of the vital aura got stronger and she felt something a little like a breeze going towards Tanya, if you could feel a breeze with your Madra.

Then Tanya sucked in a deep breath and toppled forward onto her face. Or she would have if Miara and Rallan hadn't both caught her. Or, Miara supposed, if Rallan hadn't caught her and Miara's much slower reaction hadn't left her holding onto her uncle's arms.

Technically her first cousin once removed, the memories told her, but that was silly. He'd helped her keep Tanya safe and that meant he was her uncle.

As he helped Tanya passed out body into a meditative position, Miara settled back on her own cushion and tried to figure out what to do with someone as strong as her who was so close in age.

The memories didn't even have anyone else but her who had reached Copper before their first year passed. Not even in their dimmest reaches, where she felt like there had once been more and perhaps would be again when she was stronger.

Delving in search of it did remind her that she needed to surpass those as strong as her too, but that was hardly enough of a challenge to be worth dwelling on. She was the Luminous Heir and nobody could stand against her with the same advancement as her.

So should she protect her fellow Coppers too?

That idea felt more right, and she was settling on it when Tanya finally stirred.

Her cousin was on her feet in an instant, power surging through her enough that Miara could feel the bare stirrings of spiritual pressure on her skin, and for the first time she thought of something else.

Should she be cautious of someone as strong as her?

What if Tanya wanted to hurt her? Like the Lords and Ladies all around seemed to think?

Miara still glared at them, even as she almost took a step back from Tanya. From her peer. The first one she had ever met, and probably the only one she ever would, if the memories were right about how incredible this was.

Everyone was muttering, and nobody was moving, and again Miara had the thought that Tanya might attack her when her cousin moved.

But all she did was fall to her knees, suddenly able to do it with the same grace as Miara could have. Then she bowed her head and said, "Is this one now worthy to be in the Luminous Heir's presence?"

A dream flashed in Miara's memory, and where they were normally hazy and lacking in such definition, she knew at once that this one was a memory of her mother. A memory of Sha Rallan.

A memory of him bowing his head and offering friendship when her mother felt angry and fierce and alone, then Miara lost the memory in the flood of happiness that came from what her mother did in it. She couldn't find the memory again, and she couldn't remember what her mother had done. Just that she had never regretted it.

The light of her mother was still there to guide her though. Even if she didn't have the memory, Miara knew what her mother did when they shared an audience. It might only be a personal audience and not a private one, but surely the rules were the same?

So she stepped forward and reached down, then pulled Tanya up into a hug.

Her cousin was warm and soft and wearing far too many layers of robes. She was stiff and still and she didn't return the hug.

That was okay though. Technically hugging the Luminous Heir was disrespectful and Miara didn't want Tanya to be punished. Not when her memories had finally given her the perfect thing to do.

She drew back from Tanya, and drew herself up to her full height, then Miara announced to the hall.

"Sha Tanya is hereby declared a Companion of the Luminous Heir!"

The dumb Lords and Ladies made a lot of noise, and Uncle Rallan's eyes had gotten wider, and Tanya was just staring at her, but none of that mattered.

Miara could remember all the fun adventures that other Luminous Heirs had gone on with their Companions, or bits of them at least.

She was sure that it was the right choice. Now Tanya could get stronger together with her, and they'd help each other, and give each other hugs, and it would be like if she'd had a sister only not like some of the sisters she had only very dim memories of where one of them had ended up gone and wasn't in any other memories.

The Luminous Heir would advance and Companion Sha Tanya would advance as soon after as she could, and they'd work together to do what the Luminous Heir should do.

They'd work together to protect everyone on the Ninecloud Continent.

…Whatever that was.

A/N: Happy Holidays folks. Sorry for the delay on this one. Now off I go to finish playing Cyberpunk so I can update those fics too.

Last edited:
LoL. Poor kid and poor Tanya. The misunderstanding is not so much as a misunderstanding, as a difference of perspectives besides the offense thing, but it's funny either way.

Chapter 4. Peer Discussions
Greater Palace of Celestial Radiance, Prismatic Foundation Academy

Leiala 239 / 984 ADW

I waited patiently for the cloudborne building to finish drifting beneath me, then I dropped three stories and landed in a silent roll on the roof of an empty storeroom.

Not bad for four months past my first birthday.

My advancement to Copper had compacted and transformed the pool of energy -Madra, I reminded myself- inside me into a compact sphere of power. It had become enormously more potent as a result, and now produced more madra each moment than I'd had in my entire body before.

That abundance flowed through me and let me summon strength on an entirely new level. No longer did I struggle to make my body move as I wished, or have to strain against my own weight when I did so. Between my advancement and another eight months of physical growth, I could already move in ways that a normal human could not dream of. Even the limits of what a mage could achieve with mana enhancement felt like I was on the verge of surpassing them, and I'd hardly begun my career as a sacred artist.

I'd started out simply determined to advance so I could pursue whatever occupation proved most favourable without being held back, and sure that my family would demand it of me if I did not advance of my own accord.

Only after experiencing the benefits firsthand did I understand.

Of course my parents wanted me to advance. For the same reasons that a parent wanted their child to study well and stay healthy.

Advancing hadn't just made me stronger, but faster, and in mind almost as much as in body. I needed less sleep, and yet found myself better rested when I woke up. I needed less food but my bottle had tasted better even before my mother 'increased the dosage' and I'd found myself flooded with madra after every meal. I could even hold my breath for longer. It would be insane not to want more.

Not being insane, I found myself with a third reason to advance as a sacred artist.

A quick glance around from my new perch confirmed that the fourth reason had yet to arrive, so I crawled into the gully between two roof slopes and tried to get comfortable on the tiles.

My time in this world was clearly affecting me, because the Aurelius in me was appalled by the autumn leaves that had collected in the space. Not at the mess per se, but that nobody had cleaned up such a thing in the Iron School of the Prismatic Foundation Academy. It was at odds with the dignity of the lofty establishment.

Lofty in more ways than one, being as the Academy's buildings floated in a loose column above the Greater Palace itself; Copper School at the top then Iron beneath that and Jade closest to the barrier separating us from the Palace below. It was an arrangement that didn't even pretend at trust for those in the Palace below, clearly intended to protect the most vulnerable students even at the cost of elevating them above their stronger peers. Protection from above was provided by the simple fact that the home of my most honoured aunt pierced the sky just a few kilometres away. Anyone trying to get through the top of the barrier would be target practice for one of the lances of colour and light that I had once seen spear out from that stronghold to end some threat that dared draw too near to the city.

The 'tch' noise my father made that day had filled me with fear, but clearly the Luminous Queen was merciful enough not to hold it against him. Or so I hoped, given my own home was also clearly visible from her Immortal Spire.

Of course, my definition of clearly visible had also expanded with my advancement, and not just because of the improvements to my eyes, or even the increased range of my Arelius senses.

Reaching the Copper stage came with a unique benefit. One that my parents had had to hurriedly explain when I was brought home after advancing. Aura sight let a sacred artist see the truth of our world, but without knowing what it was I had worried if I'd suffered some kind of seizure.

As they explained it, the semi-transparent lights I had been seeing overlaid across reality were not some ghost of damaged neurons, but a very real energy that suffused this world. Vital aura, it was called, and its many varieties would gather naturally around any physical object that matched their trait. I had only to focus my mind in a certain way and I could see fire aura spiralling through flames, or wind aura being swept along in the breeze, or blood aura running through my veins alongside the actual red stuff.

There was no need to learn the types, because something about it spoke directly to the senses. To look upon aura was to know exactly what kind it was; More like reading words than identifying natural phenomena. If words could be written in the language of reality itself.

All of which meant that I could not only keep watch over my surroundings -still an empty isle and an extremely boring storeroom- and count the larger details of the Immortal Spire at the same time. I could also flip a mental switch and see the aura flowing through everything I saw.

It ebbed and flowed around the Spire as though caught in the orbit of a celestial object, the Luminous Queen's power distorting the normal flow of aura. Which was a handy reminder of the stakes of what I was doing.

I had been re-introduced to my aunt in a formal ceremony after I was declared Companion to the Luminous Heir, and she had been kind in the distant and formal manner of an immortal god queen who could turn a continent to rubble on a whim. Despite my father's antics she seemed to have positive feelings for my little chunk of the greater royal family, and after more than a year I was confident that he was a capable enough plotter to ensure that didn't change.

More importantly, I had realised that, since he obviously had no hope of replacing her, he was just jockeying for a better position in her Court. He might not be loyal, but he certainly wasn't stupid enough to go against her.

Which might have calmed me down more if I hadn't confirmed the relative lack of danger from that avenue after I stumbled into a far riskier position of my own accord.

Since my father first declared I was advanced enough to attend the Prismatic Foundation Academy and brought me to be introduced to my fellow scions of the Ninecloud elite, I had felt the jealous eyes of my fellow Coppers on me. The next youngest of them had been two or three years old, and since advancing at a younger age was considered a sign of promising talent, my achievement in trailing behind had not earned me many friends.

My title as Companion though? That had ensured I had only enemies among the other Coppers.

I couldn't even try to improve my position, or blame them particularly, because my fellow Coppers were toddlers and young children and none of them really understood what was going on anyway. They just knew that their parents and teachers were disappointed with them compared to me, and hated me for it. Talking to them was pointless and frustrating.

It made spending so much time around children even more intolerable, and so I had resolved to sneak down to spend time with a more mature sort…but that plan ran into the same problem that made it impossible to hide my title.

More like a descending meteor than a silent shadow, my cousin slammed into the roof next to me and smashed most of the way through the tiles.

"Who made this roof so fragile!" She yelled as she hefted herself out of the hole she had made. "What if someone fell through and hurt themselves?"

Sha Miara was a tiny ball of angry pride, with eyes that looked at once more wide and innocent than my best attempt at looking cute, and far too knowing for her to ever be mistaken for an ordinary child. Assuming her tendency to throw around power like someone twice her age didn't make that clear enough.

She was a Copper too, but where I -like most of our peers- was still learning to use my Madra in the four basic training techniques taught to all of the children at the Copper School, Miara had shown up on her first day and immediately demonstrated all four like she'd been using them for decades, then told the teachers to stop wasting time on her when the other students clearly needed their help more.

Where I had to study frantically to match her grades in the various curriculum -except for mathematics, which thankfully also used base ten on this world- Miara achieved perfect grades with the bored air of someone reciting knowledge they'd long since memorised, only occasionally showing rapt interest when we covered more recent developments and then devouring the information in moments only to grow bored again.

The teachers had nothing to teach her, and she spent most of her time at the school meditating, but she had insisted on attending ever since I made the mistake of answering honestly when she asked why I couldn't spend more time with her.

Being as I quite enjoyed the actual lessons, I supposed I should also have tried harder to speak negatively about the Academy experience to her, but it was hard not to be delighted everytime I compared it to the miserable situation of children at the orphanage in my last life. Compulsory schooling truly was a wonderful thing to experience again, especially from the most elite institution I could possibly have attended.

If only it wasn't for all the other children, I think I would have been very happy.

Miara had kept ranting while I was thinking, so I stomped my foot a few times both to draw her attention and to demonstrate the flaw in her complaints about shoddy construction.

Instead of seeing that I was right, she promptly bustled up to me and started patting my sides with a concerned frown. "Tanya, you're still so skinny. I told you to eat more!" She stomped her own foot to punctuate the sentence and I hurried to move away from the hole in the roof when I saw how the structure shuddered.

Climbing down was easy, and when I turned to offer my hand to help Miara down she simply hopped down in another blur of multi-coloured light and cracked the stone courtyard that surrounded the storehouse.

"You won't be able to obtain a perfect Moonheart Iron body at this rate." My cousin continued to berate me as we wandered over to the edge of the island and looked down in search of our next step.

Iron was the next stage, and reaching it meant crafting yourself an Iron body. My parents refused to tell me how to do it, and the school restricted those lessons to those without permission, but I did understand that there were an endless variety of possible Iron bodies that a sacred artist could seek out, and that since Miara had decided that I was going to have the same one as her I needed to eat more in order to obtain it.

Honestly, it wasn't as though I didn't enjoy the ridiculously delicious food that I was starting to progress to, even if my teeth hadn't yet finished the all-too-painful process of emerging. It was just that after a lifetime of malnutrition followed by military rations, a lack of appetite seemed to have been embedded in the ragged fragments of my soul. Anyway, I had no intention of letting someone else dictate my choice of Iron body before I reviewed all possible choices and made a rational decision as to my best option.

But since I had learned how to handle Miara's bossiness months ago, I just kept quiet and resolved to apologise when the time came for her to learn I had no intention of doing as she demanded. Demanding as she could be, my cousin had never gotten mad at me for defying her actual instructions in favour of obeying the spirit of them, and I was sure that what she actually wanted was for me to obtain the best possible Iron body.

Another building came into position and this time we jumped together. I tucked my limbs in and fell a fraction faster than Miara, landing in another smooth roll. A moment later she did the same thing, whisper quiet and with a considering look at the garden we'd landed in this time.

"Good thinking Tanya. It would be rude to mess up such a nice place."

Not needing to turn my head to look around, I was very aware of the gardener who had frozen in the middle of tending a flowerbed when we appeared, but Miara either hadn't seen him or was ignoring him. Either was probably for the best, since her talking to him might bring out one of the guards that I was certain were following her as we 'snuck out'.

My cousin's presence made stealth a pointless endeavour, and guaranteed I was going to get in trouble for my rule breaking, but there had been no chance I could vanish for so long without her following me. Anyway, while she was an actual child, Miara was such an absurd prodigy that I thought she might be even more out of place among the other Copper children than I was, even without her status as Heir apparent.

Experience with other children was important, and having found myself so close to the next immortal god queen of the Ninecloud Continent, I felt a responsibility to ensure she developed properly. That and a crushing expectation to keep pace with her so I could make sure she didn't do anything insane.

Lucky for me, she was at least pleasant to spend time around, and capable of holding a productive conversation when she wasn't too absorbed in her own thoughts.

She poked me in the arm, probably having gotten bored with the garden, and we strolled over to the edge then jumped down to another storehouse, then to an island that was mostly ponds where we had to grab one another to keep from tumbling into the water, then finally to a tower with a number of ornate bells and a building that I was certain functioned as a break room for the teachers.

Miara insisted on swiping a few treats when I shared that information with her, and I halfheartedly munched on a hard savoury cookie as we made our final leap and landed in the Iron School.

Then we promptly had to dive out of the way of a tumbling pile of limbs as two boys and a girl did their level best to drive one another into the stone floor.

We had landed in a courtyard where the children were having their morning break for light physical exercise, and the greater age of Iron children was immediately apparent. Though there were only a few outright teenagers, and they all had the withdrawn and nervous look that older children among the Coppers also had, the children around us were all still significantly older than those in the Copper school. The youngest I could see looked to be at least five years old, and most had to be somewhere between eight and twelve.

This was the realm of super-powered preteens, and where they weren't throwing one another around the courtyard, they were throwing multi-coloured light around instead.

A few promisingly dignified young ladies were taking turns to blast a set of ornate metal targets with madra. They took turns to throw a punch at the air, and each time the distinctive light of Royal madra would fly along the path of their fist and strike the target. Showing easy mastery of the elementary Striker technique that I still didn't have down completely.

Elsewhere a host of young children were gathered in a circle around a rapid succession of wrestling matches. Enforcer techniques were used to enhance a sacred artist's body in various ways, and watching a ten year old hurl an older boy through the air, I was sure they had to be using that too.

There were plenty of other such displays to be seen, but as I took a moment to look around I realised that for as violent and intimidating as it had first seemed, it was all still just children playing around. A few on the edges of the courtyard were even using their techniques to carve symbols in the ground for some complex game that reminded me of a fragmented memory of playing trading card games with my fellow brats, decades ago.

I'd only just arrived and already I had to wonder if I was going to find any more intelligent company amongst these children than I had above.

Then a child made to shove me in the back and, as I casually stepped aside with the ease of someone who had seen his muscles bunching even before he moved, I sighed in exasperation at the state of the next generation.

The little brat -for all that he was more than twice my current height- stumbled and fell, but he was up again in the blink of an eye and puffing up with anger.

I supposed he couldn't be blamed for not recognising us as Coppers. There was no uniform for the Academy, and having dropped into the chaos of the morning there was nothing about us to suggest we weren't just absurdly youthful Irons.

He could certainly be blamed for trying to bully Irons so much younger than him though, and I was about to step forward and put my recollections of orphanage diplomacy to use when Miara beat me to it.

She had her hands folded in an imperious bearing that the older child clearly did not know how to respond to as she said, "You tried to strike my cousin. What is your name?"

The approach of some other children gave him enough courage to ignore the oddities in the situation and sneer, "Shut up fatty." Then he drew back an arm to shove her, probably thinking that he'd knock her into me and beat us both in a single movement, one that was a blur of speed to me and would probably have broken a normal human's bones.

As last words went, 'shut up fatty' was not a great choice, so he was lucky Miara was merciful and whatever guards were staying hidden were probably happy to regard this level of violence as just childish roughhousing.

I doubted he felt lucky though, not when Miara vanished and reappeared with her fist buried in his gut, executing the elementary Enforcer technique perfectly. One of the other boys, having moved behind her and to the right, made to sucker punch her with his own Enforcer technique glowing, so I slipped forward and kicking his foot out of alignment as he advanced.

He caught Miara's backhand fist as he fell, and she swivelled into a high kick at the remaining child in the same motion.

A high kick for her still barely reached his chest, and his guarding arms absorbed the blow while he created some distance. The Striker technique she followed up with blasted right through his defence and imbued him with its power. A moment later Miara swung her arm and he flew with the motion, scraping an impressive line of dirt with his chin.

She'd only used Royal Fist and Skin, two of the four techniques intended to teach Sha children the basics of how to use Royal madra before being abandoned when they began to practice the real thing. She hadn't even bothered with Palm or Breath, and my cousin had demolished three children a stage above her.

Given that I still couldn't even use any of the techniques reliably, I resolved to redouble my efforts at training.

Miara had already lost interest in her defeated foe, or his name, and was wandering off to explore the Iron School. I followed in her wake after committing the three boys' faces to memory.

Following in her wake, I found Miara already making an imperious declaration that she would participate in one of the games taking place at the edge of the courtyard. This one was a contest of Royal Breath, with both sides trying to take command of the aura inside a rough circle drawn on the ground. It quickly became clear that the girl she was competing with had an actual Ruler technique, and between that and the gap between Iron and Copper, Miara's defeat was inevitable. She still fought it out though, and when the glimmer of her opponent's Royal aura finished taking over the circle Miara bowed gracefully and with a fire burning in her eyes.

Then she dragged me off to the next game.

I quickly found myself a silent shadow to Miara's exploits. My cousin tried every game but the wrestling -not that I'd have let her if she had been stupid enough to try and compete physically with Irons who weren't caught by surprise- and while she lost most of them, the experience only emboldened her.

Despite my having come up with the idea of visiting the Iron School, Miara was the one who seemed to be getting something out of it. I tried to talk to a few of the children, but their greater advancement didn't change that they were just children, and my hopes for mature company were quickly dashed.

Though…it was nice to be surrounded by children who didn't know who we were. Being glared at by children didn't bother me, exactly, but it was hardly fun.

Shadowing Miara and offering the occasional word of advice actually made for a much more enjoyable morning then normal, and I was trying to keep my expression appropriately dignified when I saw something interesting among the wrestlers.

Miara was handily obliterating some of the children at the strategy game I had seen earlier, whose rules I would have to learn from a more reliable source than an eight year old at some point, and nobody was paying much attention to me. Which let me focus on weaving my senses through the occasional disruptive patch of Royal madra that might steal my madra web away from me, and watching the more interesting children for their potential as future allies and enemies.

So I was able to see clearly as a boy of around ten was shoved out of one of the school buildings and hustled towards the wrestling ring by a crowd of boys in much finer clothing than he wore. Not that there was much comparison on that front.

Almost every child was dressed in the kind of junior finery that the Sha preferred. Which made sense, because the Sha Family was absolutely vast and for reasons that unfortunately did come down mostly to nepotism they had a stranglehold on the countless government positions necessary to maintain an advanced bureaucracy -some of my lessons had been downright cheering, with how much of a civilised governmental structure the Sha had built over the millennia- across a space as vast as the Ninecloud Continent.

So most children in the Prismatic Foundation Academy, meant as it was for the future employees of the Ninecloud Court, were from the many many branch and descendant families of the Sha. And dressed like it.

Then there was the boy being shoved into the wrestling ring, who wore clothing made of what I could only describe as leather cloud. The pants and boots were more substantial, but the open jacket he wore over a simple shirt was thick and bulky and would probably have given him an intimidating silhouette if he hadn't been so skinny.

Instead it made him look like a child who had stolen the leathers from a celestial biker.

None of that really drew my attention though. My senses swept over him just as they did the other children who wore different clothes and acted wary of the crowd. We had those up in the Copper School too and they were even more resentful of me if anything.

What drew my attention was when a shout of 'Rootless filth!' finally got him to stop trying to leave the wrestling ring and he promptly wreathed his fists and feet in multi-coloured clouds.

Royal Cloud madra.

I recognised it from one of my father's personal lessons to me on the nature of Royal madra, which I had not inherited in full but certainly had sufficiently to benefit from such lessons.

Royal madra was a variation of the Pure madra that all children were born with. More accurately termed Royal Pure madra.

Like normal Pure madra, it was useful as a resource -able to power many devices, or be consumed by a sacred artist who didn't mind diluting their own power a little- but lacked any particular strength or corresponding aura to control in the world around us. Its Royal nature made it far more useful to a sacred artist than regular Pure madra, but just as most sacred artists outside of the Sha would take in vital aura to dye their Pure madra with a particular aspect, so would many of the Sha.

Of course their madra would retain the gifts of our bloodline. So where a Fire artist out in the wider world would cycle fire aura to obtain Fire aspected madra, a Sha Fire artist on the same path would wield Royal Fire madra.

I wasn't entirely clear what the advantages and disadvantages of it all were, and I hadn't yet decided what to do, though my mother's skill and power made me long to dance through the sky with Royal Wind madra flowing through me. I did recall one thing very clearly however, and that was the age at which most Sha, our most distant branch families included, would allow a child to dye their madra.

Royal madra was hard enough to master, and my father had told me that trying to control aspected Royal madra before Jade was a good way to slow your advancement to a crawl.

Which made me very curious about the boy with the clouds.

He began the fight by dashing into the sky, blasting out a much wispier version of Royal Fist at his opponent. With a fight limited to enforcer techniques immediately off the table, the other boy swept up an arm and manifested a disc of Royal madra Forged into a solid shield against the Striker technique. Royal Palm was a little oddly named in my opinion, but clearly someone had a theme in mind when they came up with it, and the technique could supposedly be used to Forge madra into more elaborate shapes then the simple discs children used.

Nothing like that was necessary against the Cloud madra that dissipated easily against the shield. Then the boy on the ground struck out with his own Striker technique and easily caught the cloud boy. A moment later he was plummeting to the ground under the technique's pull, only to slow as he seemed to grasp at the air with the clouds on his hands and feet.

He skidded to a stop with inches to spare, then he was off in a dash as the Striker technique ran out of power. This time he charged into close combat, bouncing off the air to dodge multiple follow up Striker techniques then putting his entire weight behind a punch that his opponent caught with a laugh.

The cloud around that fist vanished a moment later. Cloud boy's weight shifted with the loss of it, and then he was being thrown to the ground and things became a lot less formal and dignified. He tried to protect his face at least, but I recalled plenty of fights at the orphanage that resembled this part and it never ended well for the smaller kid on the bottom.

Curious or not, I would probably just have watched, but Miara had noticed at some point and was already interrupting her opponent to play out the last dozen moves for both sides, then rushing towards the wrestling children.

Following at her heel I summoned my own Royal Skin and hoped that her guards would intervene before things got too bad.

We had the element of surprise again as we reached the edge of the mob. Thankfully most of the children had lost interest and left for other games once the bullies fully took over, but that also meant that the knot of those children was smaller and tighter around the fight.

Miara knocked down two of the older children and was lunging for a third when they noticed us and began to respond in earnest.

I promptly threw myself ahead of her and tackled a girl who had been chambering a kick. Royal Skin let me control my body like it was a doll and I was a clumsy telekinetic, filling myself with Royal Madra and then hurling my own body like a missile. Unfortunately I lacked Miara's absurd talent to perform the technique perfectly.

Fortunately, I was a veteran of actual wars and had no qualms about playing dirty, so I jabbed my fingers into the other girl's eyes in midair and used her distraction to bring her down to ground where I could drive my knee into her face until she went limp.

My senses made it easy for me to slip aside as several children tried to drag me away from my victim, the fools didn't know how pointless it was to attack from behind and I gave them a few liver punches as I dodged past and got back to Miara.

The Luminous Heir had not wasted my distraction and after landing a clean Royal Fist on the instigator of this mess, she used it to hurl him directly up into the air. Then she frowned at the cloud boy as he stayed on the ground instead of taking advantage of the opening, and the instigator was free to drop back to the ground unharmed.

The boy was only ten or so, and very finely dressed. So much so that after a few moments of gawking at the two of us, he actually developed a look of horror and I realised his family must have been high up enough for him to have attended one of the Luminous Heir's audiences.

Though by the point it was far too late for him to stop his lackeys from attempting to kick us right off the island.

My Royal Palm hardly slowed them down, and Miara's had broken after absorbing a few blows but with two of the children still flying at us. With the grim determination of knowing this couldn't possibly have escaped my aunt's notice, I threw myself in the way.

The Royal Fist that hit my back came as a complete surprise, as did my cousin using it to flatten me against the ground so she could take both kicks herself.

She caught one on her crossed arms, and despite the absurdity of it, her guard held. The other kick caught her full in the face and sent her bouncing along the ground like a finely decorated ball.

I was sinking my own fist into the attacker's kidney before even I realised I had moved. Then I slipped around the other child's fist and landed a combination into the little brat's gut. With both of them down I was halfway to Miara when she shot to her feet and spat blood on the ground. Possibly along with one of her freshly emerged milk teeth.

The image of the pudgy toddler squaring up for another round, blood and dirt staining her clothes, was beyond absurd. The older children gaped at her like they were realising for the first time just how young their opponent was.

It made a great distraction as I used Royal Skin to reverse direction and shot towards the instigator with every intention of taking some teeth in kind.

Of course that was the moment that one of her guards finally decided to show up, multiple teachers trailing behind them, and everyone but Miara and I found themselves pressed to the ground under the sheer weight of an Overlord's spiritual pressure. Even I felt myself losing control over my madra despite remaining free to move.

Which was perfect, because I was already airborne and just had to bend my arm a little to catch the kid with a flying elbow.

It hurt like hell without my Enforcer technique active, but my senses let me track the spray of blood as I knocked a full three of his teeth free, and I called that a victory.

Hopefully our parents would agree.

The Immortal Spire of Celestial Radiance, Inner Chambers of Sha Leiala

Leiala 239 / 984 ADW

"Restore."

Miara's pain vanished like it had never been, and when she pressed her gums together she found her milk tooth back where it should be.

Since this was a private audience, she hugged her mother in thanks.

The glory of the Luminous Queen faded away for a moment, and it was a woman with hair and eyes much like her own that wrapped her arms around Miara and pressed lips to her forehead.

She savoured the touch and tried extra hard to commit it to memory. Miara hardly ever got to touch her mother with so little in the way, and she breathed deeply to cherish the scent of safety and love, without the usual overtone of overwhelming power.

Then the moment passed, and it was once more a figure of glorious light who drew away from her, beautiful, and painfully out of reach.

But Miara was closing that gap as fast as she could, and she was proud to have taken the first real steps to do it. Her memories said over and over that combat experience was essential, and clashing with the Irons had done her as much good as they'd said it would. Danger had pressed her in a way no amount of training or cycling had been able to.

Plus, she'd done her duty and protected her future subjects. From one another, and from themselves, with the minimum of damage to them.

If only Tanya would stop forgetting which of them was stronger and putting herself at risk. Her cousin would say that she was in charge and acknowledge her superior advancement, but then she'd turn around and throw herself into harm ahead of her, like Tanya was the stronger sacred artist and Miara was the one who needed to be kept safe. It was dumb and annoying and felt like Tanya was babying her, and that felt even worse because Miara kind of liked it a little bit and she wasn't a baby. She was already Copper and she'd be ready to advance to Iron soon.

Her memories surged up to remind her of what was proper, and Miara straightened up and focused on her mother. Her presence offered stability in the face of her confusion, and Miara was a little inpatient as her mother finished looking over some memory tablets before putting them down and turning back to her.

Guided by her memories more than the etiquette lessons she'd breezed through months ago, Miara dropped to her knees and bowed low.

"The Luminous Heir begs your guidance." She intoned carefully, before smiling at the pulse of approval that rippled through her mother's spiritual pressure.

"You have done well Miara. For Rallan's daughter to suggest such action was…unexpected, but you seized the opportunity for your own aims as the Luminous Heir must. As you have before."

It had been her mother's advice that guided her from the start.

Miara's mother had told her, months ago, that when she believed action was necessary then she must not hesitate. She should be aware of the consequences, but act while accepting them. So Miara had not hesitated to follow her Companion to the Prismatic Foundation Academy, despite the danger she knew leaving the Spire would place her in.

She wished to accompany Tanya and ensure that the two of them advanced together, and no sacred artist could achieve their aims without accepting risk.

The classes were useless, and the teachers annoying, but she had achieved her goal. Tanya was advancing with incredible speed. Already she could perform all four techniques of the Path of Celestial Adept, if not reliably, and while Miara agreed with some of her memories that it was a dead end path only useful for teaching basic Royal madra skills to children, it was still bringing Tanya closer to Iron. She could pick a proper Path later. One with a better name.

Then Tanya had mentioned that she wanted to see the Iron School, and the risks of that had hardly even needed considering. So she went along to keep her cousin safe and test herself against those who were worth competing with at her level.

Not only had she proven herself, she'd even been able to intervene and protect a young scion of the Cloud Wanderers. Thanks to Tanya drawing her attention to the boy.

Her mother had mentioned to her once how the ancient branch of the Sha family had been resistant to her attempts to prove her goodwill. Miara hadn't understood why, other than that they hated grandmother, but she had been delighted at the opportunity to help her mother.

Now she basked in her mother's praise. Even if she knew it would be followed with some kind of punishment, since she had broken numerous rules by descending from the Copper School.

Sure enough, when she glanced up her mother's face had become stern and Miara bowed until she was pressed to the ground to show how seriously she was taking the consequences of her actions.

"For your disregard of the Prismatic Foundation Academy's rules of conduct, you are hereby forbidden from dessert for a week."

It was an unfortunate sacrifice, but Miara made it gladly.

Then her mother's presence chilled and Miara was confused by how much colder her voice was when she continued.

"Your violence against children at the Iron stage however, is a far more serious transgression. For that, you are forbidden from seeing your Companion for the same amount of time."

Not being able to see Tanya for a full week was, it wasn't-

"That's not fair!" Miara raged, all etiquette abandoned as she stood up and glared at her mother. "They were the ones fighting! And they're Iron! I'm just Copper!"

Her mother didn't even twitch, "You are the Luminous Heir, and you could have stopped the fighting with a word. Instead you beat those who could not stand against you." Her mother's voice was more amused than angry and cold, which was a relief, but still didn't make sense.

"But you said I did well."

"You did. You fought well, and bravely, and I am proud of you for it."

"...but?"

"But, you did not need to fight. More importantly, you did not need to humiliate the children of my Court." She knelt down to lay a hand across her daughter's cheek and transfix Miara with shining eyes as she asked, "Do you understand Miara? I am proud of you as a sacred artist, but as the Luminous Heir there are other burdens you must carry. No matter your age, I know that you can grasp that, because I once had the same gifts and burdens to carry."

The words were warm, and understanding, and Miara didn't understand them at all. She had done things properly, and somehow she was in trouble? And her mother talking about being the same as her was wrong too. Miara focused and the memories went from a vague impression of contradiction to clear knowledge that her mother was wrong. So she told her so.

"That's not true. You weren't Luminous Heir until you were a hundred and thirty, something." The memories weren't clear enough for her to be more specific, and the way her mother flinched away from her as she said it filled Miara with a panic she had never known before. The Luminous Queen was standing again, and something was wrong. Something was very wrong.

She dug deeper in the memories to fix it and said, "For, um, twenty three min-minutes…and, um, um…" She trailed off before she could recite the seconds, suddenly terrified at the way her mother was staring down at her.

"Miara. How do you know that?"

Despite the fear that chilled her bones and churned in her guts, Miara latched onto that thread.

"I, um, I remember. Like you?" It was hard to string words together when it felt like the world was falling apart around her, and only the strength of her dream kept Miara from surrendering to the urge to scream until her mother made the feelings go away.

"That's…not how it works. That's not how it should work. Not yet."

"Oh." Miara didn't know what to say, so she asked a question. More information always helped. "How did it work for you?"

"Instincts. Impressions. Recollections from a dream. Even that was sealed by my advancement. Miara, I need you to tell me how much you remember."

"Um."

The glimpse of uncertainty faded away, and it was the Luminous Queen who asked Miara, "What are the principles of Royal madra?"

It was near rhetorical as a question. Miara knew her mother knew that she knew the principles, but she obediently summoned the appropriate memories and recited, "The unique properties of Royal madra are defined by two Principles. The Principle of Conquest -also known as the Principle of Assimilation- and the Principle of Dominion."

Instead of her usual pride however, her mother oozed dissatisfaction at her answer. Miara had to fight not to burst into tears at that response, but she held strong and maintained her bearing as the Luminous Heir as she waited to learn how she had failed.

Her mother spoke with the echo of authority as she said, "This is not the reign of my mother, or my great great grandmother, or her aunt, or any of the other warmongers. So long as I am Luminous Queen, it is the Principle of Assimilation. Do you understand, Miara?"

She wanted to nod. She wanted very badly to nod, but it would have been a lie, so Miara shook her head miserably.

Another embrace calmed the urge to sob that had been bubbling in her chest.

"That's alright. I understand now. And you will someday." Her mother drew far enough back to look at her properly. "What you must remember for now is that you do not understand yet."

Her mother was definitely right, because Miara didn't really understand that part either. Her panic hadn't gone away and now she felt like she was failing to meet expectations and she wasn't used to any of the things she was feeling. Memories came unbidden and showed her fragments of what happened to some Luminous Heirs who didn't meet expectations, but Miara refused to be afraid. She would take her punishment and emerge from it stronger.

Instead of locking her in a hostile pocket world or throwing her into a dungeon though, her mother just hugged her again and whispered, "Forgive me my failure Miara. I did not foresee what my success would mean for you. I thought it would be like it was for my sisters and I, but more. I was wrong."

A lot of Miara's memories had things to say about the Luminous Queen saying those three words.

Instead of listening to them, she listened as her mother said, "You will need to learn to ignore the memories. Or you will be more a slave to the past than any other in our line." Miara wasn't sure her mother intended to be heard when she murmured, "No small feat."

"Now, since I have missed this, I will have to work hard to remedy it now. Starting with this."

Abandoning any attempt at dignity, Miara's mother shed her mantle of light and then tossed her royal garments away like so much trash. Left in no more than her underclothes, a simple sacred artist's shirt and pants, Sha Leila plonked herself on the ground in a rough meditative pose, and gestured for Miara to come and sit in her lap.

Miara's mind was stunned at her mother's total loss of decorum, but her body did not waste time and she was happily snuggling into her mother's embrace before any memories could scream at her about how wrong it was.

"Good. I'm sure that's disrupted them for a while. Now I want you to answer my questions and I don't want you to use those memories to do it. I want to give me your own understanding, and nothing else. Is that clear?"

Miara nodded rapidly, then listened attentively for the first question. Eager to prove that she was still worthy, despite whatever had gone wrong with her.

"Explain the Principles of Royal madra."

"Um." The memories came to her, but Miara pushed them down and focused on what she knew.

It wasn't like there was a clear line between one and the other, but she could always just ignore the ones that felt like that long ago dream. Which left her with the problem that she didn't have a lot of things she understood outside the context of those memories.

But she could manage. She was the Luminous Heir and whatever problem her mother had noticed was just one more challenge to overcome.

"Assimilation is like, like, painting. A sacred artist adds Royal to madra, or to aura, and then it's Royal. On top of whatever it was before."

"Good."

"Tanya can do that one."

"Well done. Now the other principle."

"Dominion is the same as madra and vital aura. The same way madra controls the same kind of aura, Royal madra controls anything that has been made Royal."

"That's good. And how is your cousin at that?"

Her mother already knew the answer, but Miara was enjoying herself too much to care.

"Tanya is bad at it. She can barely do it to her own Royal madra."

"Good. Now for the next question, how-"

"Um."

"Yes Miara."

"Don't you have to leave soon."

Her mother sighed and looked at the wall like she was watching something far away, then she shook her head and said, "No I don't. This is more important. I'm not going anywhere until this is fixed. At least a week."

A whole week with her mother was something out of a dream. Miara would have lost a thousand teeth and endured any number of horrible feelings if she knew that was what was waiting for her.

"Then, then can you tell me a story tonight, like the Keepers do?"

Her mother stroked the hair back from her forehead and pressed a kiss to the skin there.

"Of course Miara. I know just the story to tell. Now, how does a sacred artist advance to Jade?"

"Um."

A/N: Probably a heavier one then some were expecting by the end, but this was necessary to get Miara's arc started properly. Now that's the elements of Royal madra as I'm doing it fully established.

Alongside exactly what Tanya and Miara each have to work with. Speculate away folks.

Ah yes, consequences of cultivator fuckery applied to eugenics. Wasn't expecting it from Mira, not knowing anything about the world except what is presented.

So, given i know very little about the Cradle setting, how likely is that at least Empress and Tanya's parents know she is an old soul?

Dunno what you're specifically asking, I can think of two possible interpretations:

I think if someone suspected they would have brought that up by now, if only just to establish where in Cradle she was reincarnated from.

And if they suspected she was actually an adult who somehow infiltrated and somehow replaced the baby Tanya from under her mothers nose, they wouldn't have allowed her access to the luminous heir.... Also the mom would be leaving a trail of destruction behind her as she looked for her real daughter.

So, given i know very little about the Cradle setting, how likely is that at least Empress and Tanya's parents know she is an old soul?

They don't.

They assume she got some extra benefits from the Sha bloodline, but reincarnators aren't a known thing in this world.

World travellers absolutely are (at least to Monarchs and their factions) and reincarnation is a decently widespread form of afterlife belief, so they'd understand pretty easily if presented with the information.

As I understand it, being incredibly petty is also well understood to cultivators, so Being X's behaviour would be understood like "Weird flex but okay."

Back