Created
Status
Complete
Watchers
Recent readers

Two men are thrown through a portal to a part of the world neither of them recognizes. One is a man out of time, still fighting for an ideal future. The other is a man molded by the past, dedicated to ensuring his kind never endures what he did.

But what neither of them counted on was a chance meeting. And, perhaps much more importantly... a chance to talk.
Chapter 1: Unknown Territory

StriderInCosmos

Wanderer in the Worldsea

Chapter 1: Unknown Territory

April 12, 2014

Today, it seemed, was proving to be one of the more exhausting days for one Steve Rogers, Captain America.

For one, his face was planted in dirt that was remarkably different from the concrete he'd been standing, and fighting, on only a few minutes ago. The impact of hitting said dirt had scrambled things a bit. How did he get here again?

'The H.Y.D.R.A portal. That's right.'

They'd been at a H.Y.D.R.A base in the Canadian Rockies. A weapons manufacturing facility. Not that the Avengers would let that be the case for much longer. Things went as they usually had when they got to work.

Then…

Steve pulled himself to his feet, scanning the area around him. A lot of forest, a mix of pine and deciduous trees. And not a star-spangled shield in sight. Did it…

'The X-Men got involved,' Steve remembered, training from the war kicking in as he started trying to find a slope of some kind, maybe a clearing. Somewhere where he could start looking for landmarks.

He wasn't up to date on mutant affairs, he mused as he found a slight slope and started walking, but usually the X-Men were allies, or at least neutral. Their world, their struggles, were nominally theirs, and they'd never asked for any assistance before. The mutants that showed up after them were decidedly neither of those things, and made that clear with one ripping his shield from his hands with an invisible force.

Besides the usual sounds of nature at night, chirping and buzzing and humming into the cool air, there was nothing around him. No sign of the H.Y.D.R.A base commander's desperate ploy to escape. He'd been grappling with one of whom the X-Men had called the Brotherhood before the portal consumed them both. Where had he gone?

A crack and rustle, behind and to his left. Quiet but noticeable. He turned, and saw the crimson helm and cape that were all too close to him. How hadn't he noticed the man earlier?

A hand darted out, seemingly trying to grip Steve as he fell into a ready stance. Steve steeled himself for this man's attack, started planning move and counter-move, and…

Nothing happened. Steve watched for a moment as the face behind the helm, nearly cloaked in shadow, strained slightly, then let his arm fall to his side with a quiet sigh. "Damn," the man, his voice somewhat weathered and imperious, said. "What have you done, human?"

"Me?" Steve asked. "Nothing. H.Y.D.R.A opened a portal to… wherever we are. I should have noticed you earlier than this."

"I may be used to hovering," the man replied curtly as he approached, "but I can use stealth easily enough."

He looked around, a frown evident. "This place dampens my powers, at least somewhat. I'll need to find the source of it and destroy it."

"We'll need to find out where we are first," Steve replied. "I think I can see a ridge through the treeline."

"We?" the man asked archly. "As I recall, we were locked in battle just a few moments before. What makes you so certain I would want to work with you?"

"Because going it alone, especially in the state we're in, is going to make it that much harder to figure out what's going on," Steve replied. "Besides, you're dangerous, more dangerous than I am, I think. So I'd rather keep an eye on you instead of having you surprise me."

The man was silent for long moments, seemingly mulling over Steve's reasoning. "Very well," he finally said. "Your reasoning is sound. Until we get out of here, I will not try to harm you."

Steve nodded once, then returned to walking up the slope. "Good. We shouldn't waste any more time then."

"Who are you?" the man asked as he followed. "Clearly, you have some grasp of history, having taken up the mantle of Captain America."

Steve blinked as he looked back at the man. "You… don't know. I'm Steve Rogers. The… well, the original Captain."

"Impossible," the man said. "That man died in 1944, diverting a H.Y.D.R.A bomber into the waters of the Arctic."

"That's part of how I got here," Steve replied with a quiet sigh. "The water froze me, and I went into cryogenic stasis. I only got thawed out a little over 6 years ago. Even with this long in… well, I guess I'll call it 'the modern day', there are still things I'm getting used to."

It was silent for long moments. "I see," the man said quietly.

"Who are you?" Steve asked. "I can't say I've ever met you before today."

"I am Magneto," the man replied. "Head of the Brotherhood of Mutants. I protect mutant-kind from those who would seek to destroy them, despite the best efforts of the X-Men."

"Is that your given name?" Steve asked.

Again, silence for a moment. "Erik," Magneto said softly. "My name is Erik."

"Wish we could have met under better circumstances, Erik," Steve said. "Right now, though, I'll take working with you over trying to punch you in the face."

They made it, after long hours that were largely silent, to the top of the ridge, looking out over the large, forested area. In the distance, about 10 or 15 miles to their northeast, there were lights, more than the few scattered across the forest that flickered like warm stars in a verdant sky. A town, even if it was the only one in the area. The entire forest was framed by mountains, peaked with white snowcaps.

"Looks like we have somewhere to go," Steve said, looking down at his armored, and all too noticeable, suit. "We'll get going in a minute or two."

Erik looked at him with no small amount of incredulity as Steve began to dress down. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"This uniform is going to paint a target on my back," Steve said as he revealed a shirt and jeans beneath the armor. "As useful as armor can be, stealth is probably going to be the smarter choice at the moment. For both of us."

Erik regarded Steve as he finished taking his armor off. "The helmet is not simply ostentation," he said. "I have little reason to take it off."

"That's your choice," Steve said with a shrug. "The cape could at least come off, become a rucksack."

Erik sighed as he unclipped his purple cape, the crimson and purple armor coming off to reveal a gray cloth suit that had a white undershirt. "We'll need to find different clothing for myself," he remarked. "This stands out enough to make us a target as is."

"We'll see what we can do," Steve said. He was quiet for a moment, looking at the helmet that Erik still wore. "What does the helmet do?"

"It shields me from psionic powers, much to Charles' chagrin," Erik replied. "Though, with the possibility of this place dampening such abilities… perhaps it may well be safe to not wear it."

His hands reached to his helm, holding it as he hesitated for a moment before lifting it off. It revealed a weathered rectangular face, brown hair fading into salt and pepper as Erik regarded the helmet with intense pale blue eyes. Eyes that closed as he set the helmet on top of the armor in the cape, tying it quickly and slinging it over his shoulder.

"Alright, then," Erik said, "Let's go."

. . .

They made their way into the forest again, angling towards the town as the sun began to paint the forest in warmer tones.

"So," Steve said after a long period of silence, "what is the world of mutants like? I'm largely out of the loop there. Have been since the '40s."

Erik looked at Steve with a flinted gaze. "Hard," Erik said simply. "I see no reason to try and explain to the high and mighty American hero what hardship looks like."

Steve blinked. "How much do you know about my story?"

"That a scientist plucked a soldier from the ranks of the American army, and experimented on them until they found their perfect supersoldier," Erik replied. "I'm sure the American propaganda we heard exaggerated things, but that is the simple truth."

Steve paused in place, looking at Erik for a moment. "You didn't hear the full story, then," he said. "Once we know where we are and that we can take a minute, I think a full telling's in order. What about you? Where do you come from?"

Erik was silent on the matter, Steve waiting patiently for minutes as the silence stretched on.

"I suppose you would at least understand the basics," Erik finally said. "I was born in Poland in 1929."

"'29…" Steve mused, a slight smile coming to his face. "I'll be damned. I'm older than you. I was born in '18."

The smile disappeared as Steve connected the dots. "Were you…"

"Auschwitz-Birkenau," Erik said, his voice hard. "My parents and I were Jews. We were herded there in 1942. Humanity showed its true colors to me then as they slew us, ground us to dust, for being lesser. They will do the same to mutants unless I and my cohort stop them."

It was silent again, the weight of what was behind Erik's words more than enough.

"I saw Dachau, before I went into the ice, during a mission to stop H.Y.D.R.A experiments that it was supplying," Steve said quietly. "You're right. The worst of humanity was there to see, all laid out in industrial order."

"Then you know what lies in store for us," Erik said. "You know the means by which they will destroy us. I'm sure you remember the Sentinels."

"The Sentinels…" Steve said. "Yes. I do remember them. Stark technology, used and twisted by the US government. They intended to use it to police rogue supers."

"Of course, you would see it as such," Erik replied, his lips twisted into a sneer. "The Sentinels were made to seek out, detain, and eliminate mutants. It is as simple as that."

"That didn't make me protest it any less," Steve said pointedly. "Knowing that now, it makes me appreciate all the more that we went up against the government about that."

"And here I thought you would be in lockstep with the government that created you," Erik said somewhat acerbically. "Is that not one of your defining traits? Loyalty to your country?"

Steve stopped and turned, Erik stopping short in front of Steve's face.

"If there's one thing you should know," Steve said, his voice hard, "it's that my loyalty is to people. Good people. The world may not be as black and white as either of us wishes it was, but it's up to us to make it a better place, regardless of who stands in the way. I didn't fight for you or your people because I didn't know. Now I do. And if your people need someone to help in their fight, then I'll be there."

They stood silently, silently sizing each other up. Erik, at last, sighed quietly. "Admirable words, Captain," he said, his voice equally quiet. "But as we both know, you're only human."

With that, Erik walked past Steve. After a moment, Steve turned and followed after.

. . .

Their walk finally had them emerge onto a road, well-paved and stretching out of sight either way.

"Interesting," Steve said. "We're somewhere that's well-developed, at least."

"That hardly narrows down our location, however," Erik said pointedly. "Besides, our destination lies beyond this place."

"Maybe so," Steve replied. "But…"

He paused, his head clocking slightly to one side. "Do you hear that?"

Erik frowned, listening as well. Steve was sharp. There was a thrum in the distance. The dull roar of…

Four silver blurs landed around them, cracking the pavement and unfurling into slim, lithe humanoid robots that had accents of a dull green.

"Damn," Steve muttered. "Just what we needed."

Erik settled into a defensive stance alongside Steve. "They can be overcome, of that I'm sure. Whether we are capable of such is another matter entirely."

Steve responded by darting towards one of the machines, aiming for an arm lock that could allow him to rip off the limb. The bot twisted out of the way, catching Steve by surprise. His senses were still somewhat scrambled: the punch that sent him to the pavement should have been one he'd caught.

Even still, he rolled out of the way of the follow-up stomp that would have crushed his head, scrambling to his feet as he grabbed hold of the leg and pulled. Hard.

The leg took more effort than Steve was expecting, but it did come free with a crackling crunch. It wasn't much of a weapon, and it wasn't his shield. But it would work for now.

The de-limbed robot still had some measure of dexterity and control, shifting its balance to one leg as blades slid out of its wrists. The jointed club that Steve wielded batted away one of the blades, the other overshooting its mark as Steve ducked under it, darting behind the robot's back. In a flash, he wrapped the leg around the bot's head, planted his foot on the back of the bot, and pushed. With a crunch, the head separated from its shoulders.

Turning his attention away from the falling body, he found that another of the bots was closing in on him. The leg that Steve wielded, swinging around to try and smack it, was sliced at the knee by the bot's blade.

In a flash of insight, Steve threw the leg at the charging bot, the attack staggering the bot just long enough to allow him to retrieve his next weapon; the sword arm of the fallen robot.

Pulling it free, he gripped the arm at the wrist, dueling with the robot for a moment before he managed to slice off one of the bot's blades at the wrist. It countered by beginning a flurry of attacks that Steve tried his best to defend against, but the blade could only do so much, nicking and scratching arms, legs, chest. He needed an opening. He needed…

There! Steve took a chance as the bot wound up for a chop from on high, stepping forward into a lunging stab that buried the blade deep into the robot's chest. It froze, sparking and starting to smoke, then slumped to the ground.

Steve took a deep breath, pulling the blade from the robot's chest… and caught in the corner of his eye the sight of the third one charging towards him. Steve began to turn, raising the blade once again…

And saw a hand grip the back of the skull-like head, the robot stopping and beginning to spasm for a moment before it went limp, revealing Erik behind it as it hit the ground. Erik, in turn, was somewhat beaten up, but the robot he'd first engaged had its blade shoved into its chest.

"It seems my powers do still work at close range," Erik said with heaving breaths. "Though that took about as much effort as my… usual displays of power."

"Magnetism, I presume?" Steve asked as he tossed the arm aside.

"Electromagnetism," Erik corrected. "But it's of little matter. Do you recognize these automatons?"

Steve looked down at the green and silver robots, and their distinctive faces. "It's been a while since I tangled with these, but you don't forget a sight like this. These are Doombots."

"Ah," Erik said. "Delightful. We find ourselves in Latveria."

He looked coolly at Steve. "I don't suppose you know the Balkan Romani language?"

Steve frowned slightly. "No, I don't."

"A shame," Erik replied. Steve noticed his gaze grow somewhat distant. "It's a beautiful language."

"How did you learn it?"

Erik blinked back to focus on Steve. "It's complicated," he replied, his voice soft but curt. "Let's not linger. I doubt these Doombots lack a tracking device of some sort."

"Sounds about right to me," Steve replied, following after the man as they got off the road and back into the forest.

Erik, however, began to change his course from their original trek towards the town after more than a few minutes. "Erik?" Steve said as he turned to follow.

"I'm going to get us some food," Erik replied as he set the rucksack down. "There's a small village that we're about to pass nearby. Not many people, but you'd probably be surprised at the power of small-town hospitality. Stay here. You'll just stick out like a sore thumb."

"And how can I be sure you won't run off?" Steve asked, still coming to a stop where he was.

"Because as effective as my powers might still be, you're my only useful bodyguard here," Erik replied. "Even with my skillset, I can only go so far without my powers."

With that, he disappeared into the treeline, Steve sighing as he found a fallen tree to sit down on as he waited. He felt tiredness starting to edge into the corners of his consciousness, his eyelids starting to droop slightly before he caught the action. Falling asleep in the middle of the day could be dangerous. Especially if they were actively being hunted now.

He spent the time Erik was away weighing his options. If there was a way that Doom was trying to tamper with particular powers, there was a good chance he was also jamming any comms out. There likely weren't any Stark satellites overhead. Likely, though, there were Latverian satellites, and based on what frankly felt like the little he'd learned about how modern technology worked, any attempt to contact the rest of the Avengers would put any efforts into tracking them on Easy Street.

But staying with Erik, as good of a bet as it sounded at the moment they'd gotten here, was something he was starting to wonder about. He talked about the well-being of mutants, and he'd proven good in a fight even stripped of much of his power. But that didn't shake the fact that, 6 hours ago, he was trying to kill him, his team, and the X-Men. And the words he spoke were familiar ones. Terribly familiar.

Finally, though, Steve heard a rustle in the bushes, looking up to see Erik carrying a basket with a towel over it, two canteens slung over his shoulder.

"Are you surprised I didn't abandon you?" Erik said as he took one of the canteens off his shoulder and handed it to Steve.

"Not really," Steve said with a shrug. "I just hope you didn't steal those."

"Please," Erik said with a sigh, revealing a collection of breads, hard meats, and cheeses. "I may be many things, but I am not a petty thief."

"So what was the cover story, then?"

"As far as the woman I talked to is aware, you and I are two workers who were getting out into the country for some camping," Erik said as they dug into their meal. "An unfortunate accident led to us losing our supplies. You stayed back at camp to keep an eye on it and sent the more persuasive fellow to go get some food to get us at least home, if not through a day of camping."

"The more persuasive fellow," Steve repeated somewhat sardonically.

"I'd like to see you try to persuade a Latverian family into gathering something for us to eat."

"We'd be in real trouble, then."

Erik scoffed softly, and they took their meal in relative silence for a little while afterward.

Erik regarded Steve intently as they finished, putting what remained next to a tree. "As I recall," he said, "you had a story to tell."

"How about we trade?" Steve replied. "You get to know the rest of my story, who I really am."

"And in return?"

"You tell me what you want to do to humanity if you were in charge."

Erik's expression visibly cooled. "That is remarkably specific," he said softly.

"Call it a hunch. It's what you give if you want my story," Steve said. "Now, are you interested enough, or do we keep walking?"

It was silent between them for long moments. "I cannot guarantee you will find what I have to say… palatable," Erik replied.

"Doesn't make it any less important for me to hear it," Steve said.

Erik silently nodded. Steve took that as his queue.

"I grew up in New York City," he began. "It took a lot of effort for my mother to take care of me. I had what felt like every condition doctors could think of. Asthma, scoliosis, ulcers, anemia, heart troubles… it was a miracle I made it to 18 when she died of tuberculosis. Being 18 didn't make me any less of an easy target, though. If my body didn't kill me… it wouldn't have surprised me if one of the bullies who picked on me left my body in an alleyway."

Erik frowned. "Impossible." he nearly whispered.

"Believe it," Steve replied. "I couldn't have enlisted if I tried. And I tried. A lot. Used every trick I could think of to sign up. But I wasn't hard to see through."

"Why?" Erik asked incredulously. "Did you really have some sort of death wish?"

"I wanted to enlist because people needed help in Europe," Steve said simply. "That was the end of it. I didn't even really want to kill Nazis that much. People were suffering under the rule of other people abusing power and peddling lies. I couldn't stand that."

Erik was silent for long moments, regarding Steve with a thoughtful look. "And so you weaseled your way into the American super soldier program."

Steve chuckled. "Lucked into it, more like. Doctor Erskine, the head of the program, was visiting the 5th recruiting office I was in under a different name. He pulled me aside and asked me what I was trying to do. I told him the truth. And he took a shine to me."

Erik sighed quietly. "Where is your anger? Your rage? You have every right to it, with how you were treated before your experimentation. Why simply let your abusers get away with their crimes?"

"For one, they didn't always get away with it," Steve said with a forlorn smile. "I had a friend, Bucky, who was a lot healthier than me. He picked up the slack when I couldn't."

The smile faded. "But I also came to a realization when I was young."

Erik was silent as he waited a moment for Steve's explanation.

"Anger wasn't just exhausting like it is for normal people," Steve said, "that adrenaline high crashing down after too long being mad. For me, anger hurt. On bad enough days, it sent me to the floor, then into bed for a week. Anger got me exactly nowhere. So I learned to live without it. Learned what drove anger, how hate worked, so I could avoid it. Granted, we're talking about an education on mental health and the mind in the '40s. It wasn't perfect, by any means, and that's after studying advances in it for only a few days. But I could see the reasoning. I could put fear and hate away even after it stopped hurting. I could just do what needed to be done so that I could help people."

Erik regarded Steve with no small amount of amazement. That much, Steve had expected. What came after managed to catch Steve by surprise, however; an expression of… longing.

"Then you are a far better man than I have ever been," Erik said quietly.

It was silent again for a moment, then another. Steve finally sighed. "Alright. That's my part spoken for. So… what would you do if you ruled the world?"

Erik's expression hardened in an instant. "I would ensure that no mutant faces persecution from humanity ever again. By any means possible."

Steve's expression darkened. "I've heard words like those before."

"Please," Erik spat, "spare me your accusations. Where Hitler and the Nazis strove for a flawed, human ideal to excuse their crimes, mutant-kind is, on a regular basis, more powerful than any baseline human. You may have put away fear and hatred, but humanity is fearful of what it doesn't understand, what it can't control. And it will never understand mutants. It gave up on trying on a beach in Cuba. Charles and his X-Men persist in their deluded belief that there can be a peaceful co-existence, but the world continues to prove him wrong. Whether it is the governments of the world in creating things like the Sentinels or popular movements like No More Mutants, homo sapiens will have one uniting trait; fear and hatred."

Steve was silent for a moment. "I saw the worst of humanity on display at Dachau," he finally said.

As Erik blinked in surprise, his expression of twisted anger slackening, Steve continued. "But the reason we found out that there were experiments going on nearby in the first place was a young man. His name was Achim. He'd escaped from the camp with the help of his friends, trekked to our base through German territory into occupied France where we got in contact with him. He begged us to hurry. People, his friends and family, were suffering in silence because of him, keeping quiet about where he might have gone off to. They risked everything so that we could stop their friends and family from disappearing, even their own lives. We went and took care of the H.Y.D.R.A facility, and Achim had to wait another year until what remained of his family was freed. I had men I served with in the same position, hoping against all odds that their grandparents, cousins, or uncles would make it out alive. I wept with them. I would have grieved with them."

It was silent for long, almost agonizing moments. "I admire the strength Achim and his community showed. I aspire to it every day. You're right. The worst of humanity, its fear and greed and hate, were in full force in those camps. The sight I saw of Dachau, even from a distance, haunts me now and forever. But I think you missed that the best parts of humanity were in there too. The people who weathered the cruelest abuses and still gave their share to those in greater need. Who offered acts of quiet defiance because the mere act of survival was a victory every single day. I hope that means something to you."

The tension that was now between them could have been molded into a blade for Erik to use before Steve sighed and stood. "That town shouldn't be that much farther. Let's get going and find a route to Doom's location. We can sort this out with him. One way or another."

"Agreed," Erik said as he stood. "Let's not waste any more time on the past."

Chapter 2: Heritage

Chapter 2: Heritage

Latveria, April 13th, 2014

The walk continued mostly in silence, which Erik Lensherr greatly preferred at this point.

What did this glorified soldier really know of the hardships of mutant-kind? Humanity glorified him for his works liberating the people of Europe and continuing his fight into the modern day. Though his past was difficult, as difficult as anyone could ask for and yet live, he was not demonized, feared, or rejected by any but his enemies. Not like any mutant could be.

The pair continued following the roads as they slowly grew more and more angled toward their destination. At last, they came to a stop in front of a road sign in several languages, English among them, that said 'Welcome to Atanse'.

"English, huh?" Steve said, looking over at Erik with a somewhat amused expression. "And here you said I'd stick out like a sore thumb."

"You still would," Erik pointed out with a quiet sigh. Even beyond the ineffable divide they shared as mutant and human, it was clear this soldier didn't understand true undercover operations. Not like he did. "I doubt English is the first language of anyone in this nation, to say nothing of your American accent. So your best course of action is to remain silent and follow my lead."

That much, at least, Steve seemed to understand, the man nodding his head. "Lead on, Erik."

Erik pressed on into the town, Steve following behind. Like most Eastern European towns Erik had visited, its outskirts were largely either simple houses, almost shacks, or trailers. What stood out in this Latverian town was that the outskirts he was used to having to take at least a few minutes to traverse disappeared into relatively more well-built structures, apartments that stood either alone or above shops and restaurants as was the custom in much of this part of the world.

There were more people out in the street than he expected. More humans, going about their simple, blissfully ignorant lives. He gave anyone who asked, those few who did, the same story he'd given the farmer's wife: that he and his companion were would-be campers from another town whose food had gotten lost, adding that their vehicle had broken down well outside of town and was there a place they could get some water and something to eat?

They lapped it up, of course. These men were strange, but they seemed run-down enough to verify their story, and hospitality seemed to be a hallmark of the people of Latveria.

Thus, they sat in a cafe, the rucksack that contained their armor sat on the ground slightly under their table as they sipped at water and picked at a small plate of food, Erik watching as people went by. As idle as he made it seem, he was keeping an eye out for anyone who might be watching them in turn. Besides the expected passing interest of a few people, there was no one really focused on them. A small blessing that his mutation allowed for such easy passage through any society. Raven, Mortimer, and so many others beside would give so much for such a privilege to walk openly in the world.

As he continued to watch the crowd, his gaze fell on a young woman, black hair falling around her face as she wrangled a young daughter and a stroller through a moment of childish intractability. She looked… familiar.

'And here I was scolding Steve on moving on from the past…' Erik mused as memories, seemingly unbidden, began to play back in his mind. Happier times… tainted almost irrevocably by…

"Is she familiar to you?"

Erik blinked as Steve spoke, preparing to scold him quietly for speaking at all before he realized that the man had asked him the question in nearly flawless Hochdeutsch. 'There are still further hidden depths to him, I see.'

"Not her," he admitted in German as well. "But… someone who looked like her."

"Someone from your past?"

Erik sighed quietly. It really did seem that they weren't quite done with the past, much as he wanted them to be. "Yes. My wife."

"What was her name?"

Even so far removed, even after everything that happened that cursed night, he still managed to smile slightly at what once was. "Magda Natalya Maximoff. She was a teacher's assistant to her mother where I lived. I took a fancy to her. After we were liberated, we ran away to a little Soviet town to start a family. We had a daughter together. Anya."

Erik's expression faded into a grimace he tried to keep from being too obvious.

"What happened?"

Erik sighed as he recalled that shadowed night so long ago, the darkness framing the flames in front of him as he knelt restrained. Helpless.

"I lost my temper at my factory job and used my power to throw a crowbar at the indolent, cruel manager who often berated me. What I didn't know when I finished my work for the day was that a fire had started while Magda was away, leaving little Anya by herself for a few moments. I still don't know what happened. If it was an accident or purposeful."

It was such a small, petty thing, that had started his journey down this path. A flick of steel sparking off of flint to light the blaze.

Erik's jaw tightened. "I wanted to go in and save Anya. What parent wouldn't have such feelings? But I was met at my house by KGB officers. The manager probably called them. They held me back, then my wife, and forced us to watch as our life became so much rubble and ash."

It was silent for long moments as Erik contended with the memories. "I'm sorry," Steve finally said. "I can't say I can relate, but I certainly sympathize."

'Cold comfort,' Erik grimly thought. 'And how likely will that be once I tell you of the aftermath?'

Even still, he hesitated for the briefest of moments. "In my rage, my power spilled out of me, sweeping through the house, the KGB agents… and a fair amount of the town."

Steve was silent, Erik wondering what he was thinking in there for a moment. Finally, Steve sighed quietly. "What kind of casualties were there?" he asked quietly.

"I didn't care, then," Erik replied. "At this point… it would be folly to search it out. All I know is that I lost my daughter… and my wife."

Steve stiffened. "Did they…"

"No, no," Erik shook his head at the assumption. "She ran, terrified of me and my power. It didn't matter that we loved each other. That we had a child we were raising. I was a monster."

"I'm sorry," Steve said. "Of all the times to judge someone, in the middle of grief is never the best time."

"How magnanimous," Erik said somewhat drolly. "My story is hardly the only example of family members shunning their mutant spouses or children. We are betrayed, to the most fundamental level, again and again. And that is even only for the ones that manage to pass as regular humans. That is why I fight for mutant-kind. They need a family and a cause to fight for. Why not their fellow mutants?"

Steve was silent for long moments. "If you're looking for a fight, you're always going to find it," he began.

"And what, exactly, do you mean by that?"

"You could have taken that anger, that hate you experienced during the war, and made something better of it. Showed that the Nazis had the wrong idea by showing people that freedom is universal. That it doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, no one should fear for their lives. But you decided to answer violence with violence. Fear with fear. Trapped yourself and your followers in that cycle that chewed your village up in the camps. You've already lost."

"And here I thought you were a soldier," Erik said, angry that the words that Steve spoke were so… damnably sensible. "It seems hypocritical for a dealer of violence to espouse peace so heavily."

"I only fight when I need to," Steve replied. "The duty of any soldier should be to protect innocent lives. It's a pipe dream sometimes. But it's a dream worth defending."

Erik sighed quietly. "You and Charles really would get along, wouldn't you?" he mused almost in a whisper.

Again, they took their meal largely in silence for long minutes. Erik took the time to ponder Steve's words. His conviction could not be in doubt, that much was certain. But he was still an empowered human. A cut above mere mortality. Conviction without power could only take one so far in life. It was otherwise a waste.

"Did you ever manage to find Magda? Try to explain things to her?"

Steve's words broke Erik's concentration. "No," he said as he took a moment to gather his briefly scattered thoughts. "No, I never did. For the best, I would think. But I did find my other children. Twins."

"Do you… keep in contact with them?"

"They are the ones you most likely know as the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver." Erik wondered if Steve had come across the pair during one of the times that they wandered somewhat far afield from his side. There was every chance they might have met beforehand. What impression had they given this man?

"Ah. Got it. Did they ever learn about you before you met them, or do you not know?"

"I don't think Magda ever really talked about me." Erik shrugged. "For the best, I would think. But they're Lensherrs, regardless of whether they grew up under the name Maximoff or not. I manage to see it in them every day I work with them."

Erik found himself smiling, despite all odds. It wasn't all sunshine and loving care, and there was plenty of strife in their relationships as well. But Steve Rogers knew more than enough, already. He didn't need the gritty details of their family dynamics.

Steve mostly seemed puzzled, more than anything. "When were they born? They seem pretty young to me. Come to think of it, unless you went into ice like I did, you're looking pretty good for 85."

Erik chuckled softly at the rather amusing nonsequitur. "One of the side effects of the X-gene naturally activating is a reinforcement of the mutant's telomeres to one extent or another. I seem to be one of the luckier ones. I would think in 20 more years, I'll still be as spry as any 50-year-old. Moreso, even."

Erik looked at Steve, and found himself rather taken aback by the longing that he found in the other man's eyes, if only for the briefest of moments. "Is there someone you wished were a mutant?" he asked.

"Well, when you bring up that little benefit… there is someone. A hell of a gal."

"Who?" Erik asked quietly. Who would he wish to brave such trials and tribulations? Who did he love so much?"

"Her name was Agent Margaret Carter," Steve said with a forlorn smile and an equally lorn voice. "Peggy. She was my connection to the British during the war, and that was after introducing me to the super soldier program. She wouldn't take anything from anyone. Didn't matter that she was a lady field agent, knew how to do all the things boys tried to keep her from doing. Hell, if she could, I think she'd have been right out there with me, fighting with her bare hands if she needed to. And she still proved vital to helping me and my Howling Commandos."

"A hell of a gal," Erik echoed quietly. He hadn't heard much of anything about this Agent Carter. She sounded like someone he would have liked. Someone Charles might have liked as well. A remarkable rarity.

"Is she still alive?" Erik asked.

"In a senior home, dealing with Alzheimer's," Steve admitted quietly. "I… don't think she has much longer to live."

Erik found himself… grappling with the question that next came to mind. The cold calculus of it was easy enough. There were mutants, both on his side and Charles', who had the ability to extend life and reverse the effects of aging, though not all at once. If he could leverage their abilities to bring this Agent Carter back from the brink, he'd have a powerful ally in his corner, and powerful leverage for any favors he might need. But… there was something about the callousness of the thought that would have rendered such a gift remarkably hollow. What about this made it so different from everything else he'd done?

He opened his mouth… and everything fell into chaos around them.

In an instant, the now suspiciously clear street became an asphalt and concrete drum, beaten six times as Doombots landed around Erik and Steve. They were on their feet as the third one landed, sizing the situation up as the final one blocked off their escape completely, cordoning off both ends of the street.

"Somehow," Erik said instead, "I think we might not win this one."

"Not with that attitude," Steve replied. Erik couldn't help rolling his eyes.

But as the pair prepared to fight, the Doombots just… stood there. Waiting for them? Or waiting for…

"And so, the trespassers have been found." a voice said in English.

Erik and Steve looked up into the sky and saw, hovering about 2 or 3 meters above them and beginning to descend, a figure clad in steel-gray armor with a billowing green cloak fluttering around it. No, him. This was no automaton. This was a man.

"You are invaders of sovereign Latverian territory, and have vandalized its property," the man known as Doctor Doom continued as he landed. "You have two options. Depart, or die. I care little which you decide to take."

Erik steeled himself, but Steve beat him to the punch. "Doctor Doom. I don't think we've met before. We had no intention of coming here. A third party accidentally brought us here. We… don't have a way home."

"Do you thus intend to try and fight your way out of this country?" Doom asked. "You have already left a scouting force in pieces, which leads me to suspect any seemingly peaceful intentions."

Erik stepped forward, scowling. "When your works strip away the powers that can let us leave, I question your motives. Return my powers to me, and we will go."

Behind the mask, Doom's eyes narrowed. "You are the one known as Magneto. I was wise to begin the spell that dampened such powers as yours, it seems. And what would you do should I restore such powers to you?"

"You will leave me be as we make our exit," Erik said. "Or perhaps I'll have my way with your armor for interfering with me as you have."

"How impetuous of you, Mr. Lensherr," Doom replied. "Perhaps you need a moment to ponder the foolishness of such words."

Doom leveled an imperious, pointing finger at Erik, semitransparent, glowing green energy coalescing around and dripping like water from off the tip of his finger.

Erik's eyes went wide. Magic. Even if he had his powers, such strength as Wanda also laid claim to could circumvent his might. He braced himself, looking Doom straight in the eyes in stark defiance. The spell or hex began to leap from Doom's gesture…

And Steve interposed himself at the last second, the shout in pain tapering off to a low groan as his form began to shrink, his shirt and pants growing more and more baggy as he shrank in stature.

"Steve!" Erik shouted, Doom simply humming. "What the hell did you do that for?"

"Cause I can take a hit," Steve replied through somewhat labored breaths. "And hey, it wasn't that bad."

"You fool," Erik said as he shook his head.

Steve raised his fists at Doom in a guarded pose, the man in front of them remaining still. "Your tenacity is remarkable, Steven Rogers," Doom remarked. "Even in your physically enfeebled state, you think to stand against me."

"I can do this all day," Steve replied.

'All day?' Erik thought incredulously. 'You look as though a stiff breeze might pick you up and carry you off!'

"I see," Doom said quietly. "If such is your attitude, then I believe I can only oblige."

As Doom's hand, now clenched into a fist, once again stretched out toward Steve, Erik had what could be called an epiphany.

'He's really willing to do this, for someone who hates every other example of his kind. Even stripped of his powers, made lesser even than most humans, he puts himself in the way.'

'I can't let such a man die.'

"Wait!"

His shout gave Steve and Doom the moment of pause that he needed as he stepped in front of Steve. "We surrender. Just return Steve to his proper form, and we will accept any escort out of the country."

Doom's mask was, as always, unreadable as he studied Erik intently for long, almost agonizing moments. "A fascinating change of tack, Mr. Lensherr," he finally said, his tone inscrutable. "However, you are still engaging in criminal acts. A brief imprisonment is perhaps in order."

Doom began to type on his vambrace, and Erik felt a pickling energy begin to crawl across his skin. This might have been magic, but technology was an equally viable answer. Doom had designed all of the technology he used after all.

The prickling sensation reached Erik's head and, hard as he fought it to stay awake through what was clearly an intended part of the process, he slipped into unconsciousness.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: Egress

Chapter 3: Egress

Latveria, 2014

Steve took a deep breath as he pulled himself back to consciousness. That it didn't crackle or rasp was a nice change of pace from the all-too-terrible return to form that Doom's strange blast had taken on him. 'If I didn't fully believe in magic before,' he thought as he got to his elbows, groaning slightly, 'I think I do now.'

He opened his eyes fully as he looked around at his new surroundings. Unsurprisingly, they were barre and stony, gray bricks. The furnishings were a cot that Steve found himself lying on, a toilet/sink combo, and that was that. Looking towards the doorway, he saw that instead of bars or a solid door, there was an energy screen, the blue light of the screen accompanying a quiet hum. The field also seemed to be at least electrified, the sting of ozone creeping into the somewhat stale air of the room.

Steve groaned softly as he got to his feet, walking around the room and eventually coming to a stop in front of the door, looking at the door intently. A hand hovered over the screen for a moment, feeling the power that threatened to arc over to him if he pressed any further. There were no panels that he could pop open to fiddle with the internals, just a smooth metal frame.

Metal…

"Erik!" Steve said, going from one wall to another calmly. "Erik, can you hear me?"

Nothing. The walls seemed pretty thick, anyway. If Erik was out like he'd been, maybe he could take the bedframe…

No, the bedframe was made of wood. The toilet was porcelain. The only hint of metal was in the frame of the door. Porcelain could be useful though…

He heard a muffled crunch from the wall to his left, accompanied by a crackle and snap of electricity. Steve paused, trying to get a view of the hall beyond, lined with anachronistic torches that shed an eerie green light that was far brighter than most flames.

After long moments spent waiting, Erik floated into view, pausing in front of Steve's cell. As aware of Erik's powers as Steve was, he still found it a little eerie.

"Erik," Steve said with a quiet sigh of relief. "Looks like you got your powers back too."

"So it would seem," Erik replied calmly.

"So," Steve replied, "Are you going to leave me in here? It doesn't look like you need me to keep you safe anymore."

Steve wasn't surprised that there was some sort of conflict that he could see through the semi-transparent field of energy. Based on what he knew of the man, there was every chance that he might leave him here in this cell to make his escape alone.

That would be fine. He could find his own way out, he was sure. It would just be a little more difficult.

"No," Erik finally said. "No, I won't. If I leave you here… then maybe Charles' dream would be as dead as I thought."

He reached out, Steve stepping back from the door…

And the field shut off.

As Steve and Erik remained where they were for a moment, a voice echoed from the walls. "I would rather you not continue your destruction of my property. Come to me, and I will release you."

Erik looked around him with a narrowed gaze. "And what assurance do we have of that?" he said.

"You two will be my messengers. Come. Or remain where you are, and be escorted to my presence. I care little for your choice in this matter."

"Messengers for what?" Steve asked.

It was silent, and Steve sighed quietly as he stepped out of his cell, a dot of white light appearing on the wall and floating away from them.

"Well, I suppose we don't keep the king waiting," Steve said as he watched the light drawing them on.

Erik grimaced. "I suppose so."

With that, the pair began to make their way down the hallway of the strange castle. For quite a while, it was silent as they made their way through the quiet castle. They passed several Doombots, which remained motionless.

"I saw the hesitation in your eyes," Erik said, "at my powers."

"I was just surprised that Doom felt okay giving them back after all this time," Steve replied. "After dampening them, why let you have them back in the middle of his base?"

"Who can say," Erik said offhandedly. "But your expression is the crux of why people fear us."

"The surprise?"

"At the randomness of it," Erik replied. "Humans accept when there's an easy explanation to such powers; your bottled serum or Stark's power armor. Even those that mutate from an outside source can be accepted, or at least explained. The Hulk's gamma radiation or the Fantastic Four's exposure to cosmic energy. Natural mutation, the seeming whims of chance that anyone could be able to destroy everything around them… that uncertainty will always make people fear my kind."

Steve was silent for long moments. "The greatest antidote to fear is learning," he said. "I learned that more than a few times. I've learned a lot about you and your plight. Now, I can help you. And I can teach the rest of the Avengers as well. It's not a lot all at once. But it's a start."

"That it is," Erik admitted.

They continued on, Steve continuing to wonder as they walked what Victor Von Doom was going to have them spread a message about. There was so little information about the man, even with what little he had looked into the rogues' galleries of the current world. Doom was a man of magic, that much had been certain. But it also looked like he could give Tony a run for his money in the tech department. The situation made his shield arm twitch slightly. He wished his shield was here, even if only to put in front of them for any unexpected surprises.

Eventually, the pair reached a vast chamber, its walls lined with devices and a massive screen to one side. At the far wall, a series of steps had a throne sitting at their top, upon which reclined Doom, watching the pair silently as they entered.

They came to a stop at the foot of the short staircase. "Alright, Doom," Steve said. "We're here. What message do you want us to send?"

Doom simply stood from his throne, turning and walking down the steps towards the massive screen. Steve and Erik shared a glance before following him.

"There is something coming," Doom said as he stopped at the massive screen, typing at the console. "Something that will change multiple worlds forever."

Steve looked up at the screen, watching as some strange spherical shape, outlined and surrounded by several arcane readouts. "What do you mean? Is this some sort of… rogue planet?"

"Far greater than that, Steven Rogers," Doom replied. "This is one of two universes that are on a collision course with ours. There is potentially a third that might join them."

The sheer scale of it was staggering, Steve silent as he grappled with the implications. Erik spoke in his stead. "Why tell us anything about this, then? Why not take advantage of this information in some way?"

There are many things I can do," Doom replied. "To control the paths of universes themselves is well beyond my remarkably broad scope."

"How are you seeing this?" Steve finally asked.

"A combination of magic and technology piercing the veil of our universe into the Reality beyond," Doom said. "A technical challenge, but not one that was insurmountable."

"There's something else, isn't there?" Erik asked. "Something about these universes that requires us to tell the wider world about them. What is it?"

"My research has allowed me a limited glimpse into these incoming universes," Doom replied. "They are much like our own. Rife with power. Remarkably dangerous, should the collision prove… fractious."

"How long do we have?" Steve asked.

"Months at best. Days at the most dire."

"And you don't think you can handle the potential opportunities alone?" Erik asked archly.

"What Doom desires, Doom shall possess," Doom said firmly. "No matter the patience required, I shall rule all I can acquire by my power and intellect."

"Reed Richards gave the idea that you might say that, the one time I met him," Steve said. It was largely in passing, several months ago, and Reed was largely talking to Tony and Hank. But he listened to when there might be a threat to deal with.

"Richards is my mental inferior," Doom replied. "Not by much, but his efforts to subdue my plans will come to naught."

"I don't think Reed will need to worry with what's apparently coming," Steve replied. "When are you planning on releasing us?"

"After having explained to you what my findings were," Doom replied, turning to face the pair. "I do not do this lightly. This, however, goes beyond the bounds of this world. We must prepare to defend this universe against what threats may come. I shall prepare Latveria. You two shall prepare your separate worlds, human and mutant alike, for what shall come. Now, begone."

As if the word had been an incantation, Doom and the throne room disappeared in a flash of light that overwhelmed Steve's senses as he squeezed his eyes shut…

And heard the chirping of birds. As the pain from the light receded, he opened his eyes and found himself in yet another forest. The sun was rising, and they were on a hill. In the distance, rising up and glittering, was…

Steve sighed in quiet relief. 'New York City.'

"At the very least, he is a man of his word."

Steve looked over to see Erik, pieces of crimson and purple metal beginning to float onto his body as the cape unfurled from being a rucksack, his helmet floating up to rest over his head for a moment before gently settling on it. "For all his faults, I can't deny that."

Erik looked over at Steve, the helmet giving him that imperious air he'd possessed the night they met in Latveria. "I suppose this is where we go our separate ways," he said somewhat somberly.

Steve looked back at New York and nodded slightly. "Seems like it."

"Then I take my leave. Farewell, Captain Rogers."

With that, Erik began to float up. Steve turned to face him as he left. "Wait."

Erik paused in midair, pivoting to look down at Steve as he waited for an answer.

"If you need the Avengers' help protecting mutants…" Steve said. "Give me a call. I'll be there."

"Go to Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters," Erik replied. "It's here in upstate New York. They will take your offer far more than me and mine."

He paused for a moment. "But… I will keep that offer in mind."

With that, Erik pivoted back, and flew away, Steve watching until the master of magnetism was out of sight. Then, he looked down at his uniform.

Looking around to make sure that no one was in a position to stumble on him, he began to put his armor back on. It would probably make getting back to Avengers' Tower that much easier.

. . .

Today was a day like any other for the cab driver operating on the outskirts of New York City. As quiet as it could be, he found the rather laidback nature of the suburbs and businesses surrounding the city proper rather relaxing. And at the age he was getting to be, that was a blessing more than anything.

His friends in the other boroughs of the city might have had crazy stories to tell, ones he'd been perfectly willing to listen to, he made a good buck with little fuss.

As he drove his route, he kept an eye out for anyone who might be looking for a ride. He'd just gotten a nice night worker to his home from a security job and now cased the streets around the dropoff's house. Especially with night workers, there was always a chance someone might need a lift to work.

As he glanced down a street that he began to pass, he saw a flash of red, white, and blue a ways up the street. The street passed out of sight the moment the colors and their pattern clicked for the man.

"Wait a minute!" he said to himself as his brown eyes went wide and he stepped on the brakes. He glanced down to put the cab in reverse, then looked up to back up.

He jumped slightly as he saw, at his passenger window, the only man who could get down the street to him that quickly. The man waved slightly as he got into the back seat.

"Hey there," Captain America said. "Didn't think I'd find a cab this far out of the city."

"I make it a point to be available this far out," the cab driver said largely on reflex, his eyes still wide. "Where… where do you need to go?"

"Could you take me to Avengers Tower?" Captain America asked. "I don't have any money on me, but I can make sure you get paid back."

The cab driver shook his head. "For you, Captain? My grandfather had stories he told me about serving with you. Don't worry about it."

"Really?" Steve Rogers asked. "What was his name?"

"Private Steven Yasuhari, 100th Infantry Separate," the cab driver replied.

"Yasuhari…" Steve said. "I can't say I completely recall the name, but I served alongside the 442nd in Europe. They were exemplary men and lived up to their motto every day. Some of them could give the Howling Commandos a run for their money."

"Go for Broke," the cab driver said as they began to drive. "You were a real inspiration, Captain. Grandfather faced a lot, especially after Pearl Harbor. But you and yours showed him that the US could be something better than that. Thank you."

"Of course," Steve said. "If anything, it was people like your grandfather that inspired me, sometimes. Let me know that there was always something worth fighting for."

. . .

Steve got out of the cab, giving Fuku Yasuhari a goodbye before the man drove away. He stood for a moment in front of the grand edifice that was Tony Stark's Avengers Tower, taking in the sights and sounds around him. Bustling. Busy. Loud and sometimes a little grating.

There was no mistaking it. He was home.

He made his way into the tower's lobby, the receptionist looking up with some slight surprise. "Captain," he began.

"Don't worry about it, Evan," Steve replied. "I'm the real deal. I'll just be on my way up."

He made his way into one of the elevators, keying in the combination that would give him access to the upper floors.

As the elevator began to ascend, another voice, cultured and carrying a British accent, intruded on Steve's brief contemplation. "Hello, Captain Rogers. Shall I inform the others that you've returned?"

"Are they all still here?" Steve asked.

"They are currently taking a break from their search for you, sir," JARVIS, Stark's artificial intelligence, replied. "Your timing is rather fortuitous."

A pause. "The elevator's sensors are detecting a piece of unknown technology within your armor, sir. Shall I try to scan it?"

Steve blinked, frowning slightly. "Where?"

"In a pocket on your chest."

Steve patted around for a moment before feeling the rectangular bulge in one of the pockets, taking out a silver and green, rather intricate device. "Any idea of what it might be?"

"I would need to access it in order to be certain. Where did you obtain the device?"

"In Latveria."

Before JARVIS could reply, the elevator dinged, the doors sliding open to reveal…

"Steve!"

Janet Van Dyne, the Wasp, was the first to notice as he stepped into the main space of the tower, the others looking over in various states of relief and lack of surprise.

"Where have you been? Are you alright?" Janet continued as, like filings to a magnet, the rest of the Avengers were drawn to him.

"I'm fine, Janet," Steve replied. "Sorry I've worried you all. I do wish I could have called sooner."

"Tis well enough, friend Rogers," Thor, their resident mythological deity, replied. "You are a warrior of remarkable skill. I had faith that wherever you were, you'd find your way back to us."

"I mean, that still doesn't fully tell us where exactly he went," Tony Stark said meaningfully. "Where did you go when you tumbled into that portal?"

"I took a day trip through Latveria," Steve replied. "Had a nice, long conversation with the man that fell into the portal with me."

He paused for a moment. "Which reminds me. Did anyone grab my shield when I was swept away from the H.Y.D.R.A facility?"

"We've got it waiting for you, Steve," Hank Pym, resident scientist number two and the Ant-Man, replied. "How much more punching was involved in this 'conversation'?"

"Less than you might think," Steve replied with a slight grin.

"Wait a minute, hold on," Bruce Banner, resident scientist number one, interjected. "You said you went to Latveria? Did you run into Victor Doom?"

Steve nodded, his expression becoming that slightest bit more grim. "I did. And before he let Erik and I leave, he gave us a message to spread. Something's coming. Something big."

As he spoke, Steve held up the chip, grabbing everyone's attention as he made his way over to one of the computer stations. He set the chip down on one of the fancy pads that allowed JARVIS to do his thing, then turned to face the others.

"What has Doom, of all people, so worried that he's telling people about it?" Tony asked, his glib facade cracking slightly. "He's the ruler of an entire country, according to Reed, and fairly capable of ruling the world if someone doesn't keep him in check."

"It's bigger than him, Tony," Steve replied as a holographic display lit up, showing the findings that Doom had shown him. "It's bigger than us. This.. this is something that needs all of us, everywhere."

It was silent for long moments as Hank, Bruce, and Tony studied the readings that JARVIS showed. "And how do we know this isn't some elaborate ruse?" Bruce asked. "Something to pull the people of the world off-balance to let him do something else?"

"We don't," Steve admitted. "But I get the feeling that asking people to spread the word about something like this is not something he usually does. He doesn't seem the type to let other people do the work he wants to do."

"Okay," Tony said, "So what do we do with this? Besides try to convince S.H.I.E.L.D. about it, if It's even real?"

Steve was silent for a moment, his brow furrowed in thought. "JARVIS," he finally said after a moment, "what information do you have on Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters?"

"One moment," JARVIS replied. "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters is an educational facility located in Westchester County. The mutant force known as the X-Men is reported to operate in or near the location in question."

"What's with the boarding school?" Janet asked. "I mean, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and find those X-Men if something happens."

"We've been ignorant of a part of the population that could use our understanding and help," Steve said. He looked over Bruce. "What do you know about natural mutants?"

Bruce, uncharacteristically, looked rather stumped. "There isn't much. Natural mutants are a pretty closed-off community. They face about as much potential persecution as gamma-irradiated mutants. It's why I was so insistent on opposing the Sentinel program. Gamma mutants, whatever their disposition, would be hunted down just as much as natural mutants."

"We need to reach out to them," Steve said. "Show them that even if It's just the super community right now, people are willing to work with them, accept them. Especially if there's something coming that needs all of us to work together."

Steve looked at a screen, one that showed a satellite image of a rather stately-looking mansion. "So I think It's time to arrange a visit."

Back