Rust (Pathfinder/ASOIAF)

Does the Bard Win?

• Nah, It's Futile, But That's Hilarious

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Yup, Dragon Waifu and Himbo Bard Time!

Votes: 23 65.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

In which ASoIaF stops pretending to be a low fantasy setting when all the magic comes back, thanks to a misplaced demonically corrupted Silver dragon. Good does not always triumph over Evil. What has been lost can not always be reclaimed. What has been forgotten cannot always be remembered. Some decay is irreversible. Winter is coming, but it will not do so alone. If the world doesn't end in fire, salt or shadow first?

It will end in ice.
The Wall

Shujin

M. NightShujinlan
The Wall

She died.

She felt the Storm King's blade bite into her neck. Her last memory was seeing her own headless body slump. The arterial spray spurting over the polished marble of the cathedral and flowing down over broken cobblestone as the lives she hoped - prayed - she saved fell beneath the earth.

Nothing explains why she woke again, choking on her own blood.

It is molten, tasting of brimstone and iron. It burns up her throat with her rattling breaths - how am I breathing? Her heart shudders as if unsure if it should even beat. Air forces its way out of her lungs by sheer habit, splitting to wheeze out her open mouth and whistle through her open throat. Blood sears her - human - lips as she coughs, spits and vomits a never ending sanguine stream as she rolls onto her side - get up. Her free hand flies to her throat - my head is - it feels like it is gone, still spinning through the air as she opens her eyes.

A pale tree stares silently down at her, bleeding from the eyes. The face carved into its bark resembles that of a treant, gloomy and bitter. Through its crimson leafed branches, the sky is ablaze.

"V - vanquish the shadow of weakness," she wetly whispers the first phrase of her healing aria as she attempts to stand, channeling positive energy through her birthright - for that cannot be refused. The world swims in and out of focus as she plants her feet underneath her. "Reject the frailties of mortality, mend - "

She reaches with a bloody hand to steady herself against the pale tree. Her blood sinks into the white wood and the wood reaches back.

Her very soul ignites.

She screams as a thousand, thousand greedy, grasping fingers burrow into the very fabric of her being. They feast even as they are repulsed, tearing and biting. The image of an emaciated pale man with a tree root in one eye socket and a blood red eye in the other rips through her mind. They were changing her, tunneling like worms beneath her skin as roots grow over her feet and legs to chain her to the tree.

Chain.

They were enslaving her.

Slavery was anathema.

It was the one thing the entirety of her soul agreed upon.

Including the maddening, ever present hatred and rage of the Abyss.

The hate she has rejected and ignored roars free from its confines as she tears away from her false humanity.

Silver scales erupt from her skin, her proud wings flare out, her tail free, horns sprouting from her head as she grows to tower over the trees. There is a moment of uncertainty - my body is - different, yes, but that does not matter - I am no one's slave!

The crimson eye widens before she banishes it from her mind.

The hate is strength.

And it is power, isn't it?

Her head rears back. Her maw opens. Rays of blackened and corrupted hellfire rain down on the forest - burn!

Burn!

Burn!

Burn they do.

She watches the pale trees ignite with a vicious pleasure. The hatred sludges through her veins like oil, feeding the flames. She does not stop, not until the heat grows unbearable - I am made for the cold - and her vision blurs. Her blood is still boiling, the fury is still burning like the center of a volcano - who dares! She lunges into the sky on powerful wings, an instinct bidding her to lair far from fire so she could heal in peace - but resurrection spells should heal all wounds .

It should , leaving no trace of fatal injuries. Yet wounded she still is, is she not?

And alive.

Her head turns as she searches at the fiery sky, at the endless plain of snow below her because she died in spring, in the middle of the city she failed to protect, Kenabres.

There are no cobblestone streets. No marble walls of the Cathedral of St. Clydwell nor the gray brick of the Gray Garrison. She looks for the divine light of the Wardstone, or its remains. The invading demonic horde is missing. The decaying, twisted land of the Worldwound and the corrupted portals to the Abyss are nowhere to be found.

There is nothing but rock, trees and snow, snow, snow.

Where am I?

Sound echoes through her horns and she banks sharply. She almost wasn't fast enough. She bellows in pain and rage as something - an ice spear scores her side, bursts out by her shoulder and nicks her left brow ridge.

She panics - I will not die again! She violently wings away from the spear's origin. She wants to fight the threat, to dominate it, break it, she burns with the need to destroy. Everything burns. She's burning - I can't breathe! Her next roar is weaker, half-gurgle, full of air. Fear drives her - how much blood have I lost? Blood is blinding her left eye as she flies.

And flies and flies.

There is a wall.

She has a moment to notice that it is coated with ice before she slams face first into -

We are the shields that guard the realms of men!

It rejects her.

She bellows as judgment crashes into her with the weight of a million sacrifices, stern, unyielding and ruthless. It knows what she is, seeking out the seed of corruption, the molten core of her rage as if it could be rooted out. A hand of ice reaches into her chest, attempting to tear out her heart.

It is an attack on her being and she responds in kind.

Her natural breath is ice, pure and glittering. She is half-blind, her body lacking in the usual forelimbs and with a wounded wing. Her aim is off, but the screams of men as they scramble for safety is music to her ears. All dressed in black, they scatter and scurry along the wall, small and insignificant like ants -

This is not me.

Yes, it is.

Shame chokes her next breath. Nothing comes out but air and blood - I am to protect! Her being rebels against her nature, a familiar struggle. Her heart stops, then starts, then stops. Her left wing gives way, crumpling. She lists to the side and falls.

She barely feels it when she hits the ground. The impact starts her heart again, but she is numb. She skids and a deep snowbank finally stops her momentum. She lays there, exhausted. Her good eye stares up at the sky as the snow melts with a hiss under her panted breath and burning blood.

The sky is on fire with stars.

There is a meteor shower of hundreds, thousands of brilliant white-crimson streams trailing through a dark sky behind the magnificent plumage of a large asteroid above her - another Earthfall? It too is a dark red, giving it the appearance that it is bleeding as it falls, like her.

She does not know how long she lays there, watching. The anger has cooled, receding back into the small kernel of hatred hidden away when the men approach her.

She stirs, snapping her jaws and hears through her horns as all but one and their animals startle back. The brave one speaks to her in an aged voice. She does not understand him, but his words flow pleasantly and there is no rancor in it. His language reminds her vaguely of Elven, more in the flow than in the vocabulary. She allows herself to relax - he means no harm to me.

She says nothing in return.

The common trade language of Golarion has been the default for centuries. Either he does not know it, or he does not expect her to be capable of speech. Both options are unappealing.

Where am I?

Lost.

There is a gentle touch on her flank. Then another further up her body. As much as it rankles to be treated like a wild animal that would bite from surprise, she understands, because she is much worse.

She lets her mind drift as the brave one steadily makes his way closer to her head. She no longer cares if she lives or dies again. Her proud, beautiful wing is lying beside her broken. The other crushed underneath her body. Her scales, once a pure shining silver, had dulled near the edges. Tarnished. The bone spur emerging from the joint was no longer white, but black.

Here lay the mighty defender of Kenabres, protector of civilization, guardian of justice, shield of men -

She remembers the wall of ice and its repudiation of her, how it was deserved - how far I have fallen. It is an aching, hollow resignation - I came back wrong, but she does not refer to her mysterious return from death.

She thinks of decades before. She came back as one of the few survivors of the demon ambush with a rot infecting her body and soul. She would blame the malady of the Abyss, but even before then, one of the gold saw something in her that concerned him. She knows not what it was. She was afraid to ask.

Was it her willingness to involve herself in the worldly matters of the lesser races? Her lack of piousness, perhaps, is more indicative of brass than silver. Or was it how she found her rules far too easy to break, leaving jagged, ill fitting pieces behind ? The way injustice scorched her soul, so much so that she needed a grand purpose - any purpose as an anchor?

She can feel the phantom weight of her mentor now, Halaseliax's powerful forelegs crushing her into the ground, his wings entangled in hers and his teeth at her throat. He had begged her not to make him kill her then. It is hard to breathe and she cannot cry.

"Keep the faith."

The brave one finally comes into sight. He is old for a human. His hair had long turned white and sparse with age and the skin about his face sags. He is frail and thin, swimming in his black robes and there is a chain of metal links hanging from his neck. His eyes are a lovely purple color, but cataracts had begun to set in turning his pupils hazy. Those eyes are looking at her, wide with wonder and tears are running down his face as he gently pats her neck.

It is too close to her injury and for a moment, her blood boils in blind hatred.

"Keep the faith," her memory of her mentor insists in a rumble and her snarl dies in her throat. "Do not give in to hate, anger, despair or fear. Do good and that is all that matters!"

She is tired of fighting.

She breathes out and closes her eyes.

She died.

Her last memory was seeing her own headless body slump, the arterial spray spurting over the polished marble of the cathedral and flowing down over broken cobblestone. Not of the god she chose - Iomedae, the Inheritor, when did I lose your favor? Nor the god that fathered her - Apsu, my Waybringer, am I not your daughter?

"Do good and that is all that matters,"
the gold's authority reminds.

Was it?

She was ushered unto no Heaven. The Great Beyond eluded her. Just her failure , then - nothing. She woke choking on her own blood, abandoned. Halaseliax would not lie to her - he just could not save me in the end.

And yet this was not Hell, nor the Abyss, not even the Boneyard of Pharasma, is it?

She stills, for it is true. She blinks her eyes open. This is no place of judgment. This is not the abode of devils nor demons. There are men. There is snow and ice. There are stars in the dark night sky above. Magic thrums in the air. The only hint of brimstone lies within her own veins. The pale trees were like nothing she has seen in her long years. Will the man with the crimson eye pursue her? The magic of the cold air tastes of ice and death. She remembers the proclamation of the wall - shield of men.

She died, but now she lives.

Such a thing does not happen without a reason - a purpose?

She lets her curiosity push away the apathy. She lets determination conquer despair. She has ever been drawn to the wellbeing of the lesser races. That has not changed.

She is able to reason.

Many worlds are reachable through The Great Beyond. Just because she does not remember the void, does not mean her soul did not pass through Apsu's protective talons. The Dark Tapestry between the planes had twisted noble divine Dou-Bral into the cruel god Zon-Kuthon - I would have been lost, utterly, if I were allowed to remember. It is not hope she feels, not yet, but it is similar.

She lives, and the rest will come in time.

"Keep the faith." Her mentor's commands now seem as warnings. "Keep the faith."

She will.

Very good, child. Now go fail again.

" - are you even listening to me?"

Maester Aemon jolted in his seat and tore his eyes away from the window. "My apologies, Lord Commander," he said quickly, almost too quickly. An embarrassed flush was fighting to make itself known on the old man's cheeks. "I allowed myself to become distracted."

Lord Commander Desmond Qorgyle snorted. "I could see that."

"It will not happen again," Aemon promised, but he was having a hard time looking appropriately sorry. Not with the stars still in his eyes, excitement evident in all the lines of his body.

As maester of Castle Black, Aemon Targaryen sent his messages, received his news, wrote down his records and healed his men. He was respectful, brilliant and effective. The Sandy Dornishman could admit he was neither a kind nor good man, but he prided himself on being competent. He made a point of pissing off no one he needed .

That meant no yelling.

He was also not going to hang the old man over the edge of the Wall by a rope around his ankle and wait until he saw reason.

The sane response to an angry dragon was to fucking run.

Fucking Valyrians.

Desmond let out a quiet breath. None of them could run without getting their heads chopped off as oathbreakers, but it was the principle of it!

"See that it does not," he said instead.

"Still say we should've jus' killed it," his steward, Elan Waters muttered under his breath and Desmond nearly threw up his hands. Aemon's sight may have started failing him, but his hearing was just as sharp as when he had been a boy. He knew what the old man was going to say before he even opened his mouth.

They had just fucking gone over this -

"With what army!" Aemon nearly snarled at the man.

That.

"Any army!" Waters drew himself up in his seat, his pock marked face twisting. "It attacked the bleeding Wall - "

"She is not a threat!" Aemon cried.

"Now!" Desmond corrected him sharply. No yelling. "It's not a threat, now - we're fortunate no one was caught in that breath - "

"She is severely wounded!" Aemon retorted with all the righteous indignation of a knight on a crusade. He may have been pushing through his eighth decade, but he had all the fire of a man half his age and half again as much respect in his tone. "Likely driven half-mad with blood loss and pain!"

Desmond slammed his hands on his desk as he leaned over it. "Then tell me it will die!"

Aemon shut his mouth, rocking back in his seat. His purple eyes were wide. Then the man looked down, but not before he caught the sight of frustrated, angry tears. Desmond inhaled a deep breath in through his nose and out his mouth. He looked at his officers, cramped up with him in his solar at Castle Black, the headquarters of the Night's Watch on Bran the Builder's Wall.

His First Ranger Brenn Flint was still in full gear. Mad man had grabbed his sword, knives and a few volunteers just as mad as he was willing to challenge the dragon themselves. The Rangers had to be brave men to risk the cold, wildling savages and dangerous wildlife, but he drew the line at stupid. As best he could tell from him and his cousin Byam, no matter where in the North they were from, Flints had wool in their heads and ale in their veins, big and burly with curling dark hair, full beards and yellow brown eyes like those of a wolf. Brenn looked half-amused still, like he heard the start to a grand jest and half-shocked with the dawning realization that it was no jape.

His First Builder Elan Waters was a grasping bastard from the Crownlands, a mason's apprentice who took the Black to avoid the headsman after his master was found guilty of embezzling funds from the crown. His origin bothered him little, but some men were bastards and some men were bastards.

Elan was competent enough in the builders maintaining the castles on the Wall where his ambition wouldn't get anyone killed. The man took after his no doubt smallfolk mother, common brown hair, plain face, missing teeth, two fingers and his backbone. He had to order the man to get out, change his breeches before the meeting and the faint stench of urine still wafted about him.

First Steward Bowen Marsh was far more comfortable counting coppers than swinging a sword and it showed in his fleshy appearance and unfortunate receding hairline, but the man held true to his vows and he could ask for nothing more. He was rigid in his ways, but earnest. No matter how much he tried to hide it, his pallor gave him away. He was shaken.

They all were.

"Tell me it was wounded fatally," Desmond continued softly, leaning back. "And we need do nothing more than collect in time. Dragonbone still sells for a good price."

Aemon flinched in his seat. "I - " His throat bobbed. Tears were in his voice, but he looked up, face composed once more. "I would need to - to examine her to be sure…of her condition."

"We shan't let it recover," Flint said, not unkindly.

The look he sent the old Targaryen had some small pity. He'd looked the same when he went out to put down those wolves a sennight ago. Three emaciated, but unusually large mangy wolves had haunted the edge of the forest beyond the Wall, scaring off game while too weak to net any of their own. He had no knowledge if they were true direwolves, the sigil animal of the ruling house of the North. In absence of a Stark, Flint had volunteered to do the deed in either case.

"Wildlings would give it a wide berth, aye." Flint admitted. "Don't see them raiding the Wall or the North with that beast in the air, but we wouldn't be safe either."

Desmond grunted in agreement. "No guarantee we can herd it far north to take care of that problem, anyhow."

He half-expected Aemon to respond to that by claiming he could bind the beast to him with some kind of Valyrian blood magic like the dragonlords of old for the good of the Wall. Make it play guard dog for the Night's Watch against the wildling tribes.

He didn't, but if the man had been that brazen, Desmond would have considered pretending to believe him.

"Unfortunately for us, we don't have Scorpions on hand - "

"No?" Flint broke in loudly. "What kind of Uller are you?"

"Half of one," Desmond returned dryly. "You know how long it takes supplies to reach Eastwatch-by-the-sea from Sunspear?"

"At least two moons with favorable winds," Marsh said quietly and he would know, considering how often he heard the man cursing the slow, meager trickle of what supplies they do get from the realm.

Desmond nodded his head at him. "A sennight to petition my mother's house by raven, two moons at sea, by the time the bolt launchers arrive, the beast will be gone, dead or we'll be." Silence met his words. "We'll set out. Arm who we can with spears and bows - can it be poisoned?" He spoke the sudden thought aloud.

Aemon hadn't been wrong when he questioned 'with what army.' Even a grounded dragon still had teeth, claws, the armor of its scales and the threat of its fire ice breath. He had to hope it was injured grievously.

His leading strategy right now was to vex the beast into bleeding out and hope they didn't all die in the process.

Aemon looked as though they were discussing his own execution. "Perhaps it can be," the old man whimpered. "But, Lord Commander, I would beg you to reconsider - "

"It dies."

"It needn't have to!" Aemon leapt clean from his chair with the force of his yell.

"Have a care how you speak," Desmond said slowly with a dangerous edge. "You are no prince of the blood here, but a black brother and I am your Lord Commander."

"My apologies," Aemon said stiffly, sitting back down and unlike the last apology, Desmond does not believe it. "You all know the history of my house and its dragons - "

Desmond moved to interrupt. "You swore an oath - "

"I swore an oath, yes!" Aemon nearly hissed at him. "To take no wife, father no children, hold no lands, wear no crown, win no glory, but not to forget my blood!"

"The Watch is neutral - "

"Our involvement will begin and end with the dragon!" Aemon looked about the room, eyes wide in almost mania. "The prince could be here within the moon and with him the authority of the Iron Throne to reward us!"

Desmond's mouth opened and then closed.

Well, shit.

That hit him right in the greed.

"A dragon is a mighty prize," Brenn said softly, looking at him. Unlike himself, it likely wasn't greed that got the mountain Flint to think twice. Northerners had fanciful ideas about the honor, glory and prestige of serving on the Wall. Anything that could bring reality closer to their ideals would be welcomed.

"Priceless," Bowen said thinly.

"But it's an ice dragon, innit?" Elan asked.

And he'll be damned if the daft Crownlands bastard didn't sound right confused about it.

Desmond sighed because he himself was trying not to think too hard about the glittering shelf of ice now sticking out the Wall.

Dragons breathe fire. Everyone knew that.

Everyone but this fucking dragon.

"What about it?"

"I - " Elan's head swiveled on his thin neck as if it were a stick. He swallowed and patted down his dirt brown hair. "The Northern tales - bleedin' ice dragons and ice spiders and fuckin' Children of the Forest an' allat."

"So?" Desmond asked and then paused.

Ice dragons and ice spiders.

There better not be more frozen horrors out there. The giants were bad enough.

"So?" Elan repeated. "King Scab's a cunt. He'd be more o' one with a dragon." He said bluntly. Usually, talk like that would get a man killed or sent to the Wall, but the bastard was already here so Desmond shrugged it off. "We can sell it to the Starks!"

He said like they were about to haul a barrel of fish to a fucking market.

"Ha!" Brenn Flint chuckled, stopped and then laughed again. "That there's an idea! Haul Rickard's ass up here, let him offer a price for it!" Flint sighed happily. "I can see the look on that frozen fuck's face now."

Rickard Stark had that dour long Stark face like he shat ice and pissed snow last time Desmond saw him. Back then his wife had still been alive so he doubted throwing the dragon at him would improve Stark's face, but it would certainly do something to it.

"Yes," Bowen Marsh said dryly, with a thin lipped smile. "And I can see the one on King Aerys' face when he learns we chose to give House Stark a dragon."

Flint's broad smile withered.

"A Northern dragon," Waters said weakly.

It was a strange turn of events when men at the Wall at the arse end of the world knew more about the king than nearly every other house in the North. It wasn't much more, but petty criminals, arrogant noble sons and poor innocents were making their way to the Wall in greater numbers and all were from King's Landing. It said something, whether guilty or not, when a man would rather swear away his life to freeze at the Wall at the first opportunity than to risk facing the King's Justice.

The big Flint rolled his eyes. "Aye, fine, I see your point, Marsh."

"The Watch's neutral," Elan said petulantly.

"I'll not inflict the king's attention on Winterfell," Desmond said finally. He was trying to convince himself that this was just like the sale of furs and herbs for a bit more coin in their coffers and it was mostly working. "The Watch is neutral, so that means we chose for the deepest pockets and nothing else."

"If she does not die from her wounds," Aemon ventured softly. "It may take moons for her to recover enough to take to the air. Dragons can be chained, Lord Commander. Let me bid the prince to come."

A prince with a dragon could dethrone a dragonless king.

That was also not his problem.

The Night's Watch cared not for the affairs of the realm. As long as the Iron Throne paid, it was no concern of his whose arse sat on it in the end. However, if they were lucky, the arse on it would remember the Watch's neutral contribution that let him sit there.

He was actually considering this, wasn't he?

He was.

"Marsh," he said, resigned. "Do the numbers."

Flint let out a loud cackle, thumbing his thrice broken nose as he bounced out of his chair like a boy on the morning of his name day celebrations.

"We're selling a dragon, boys!"

It took it's sweet, fucking time, but that was when the absurdity of it all hit him. First, every weirwood in the fucking North started bleeding. The stars got tired of being up in the sky and then he was woken from sleep by a fucking ice dragon attacking the Wall.

He was selling it.

What was fucking next, grumpkins for a few silver stags? Snarks for a groat? Ice spiders? The fucking Others?

Desmond sighed.

The fucking shit he did for the Watch.

He shifted in place, letting the side of his arm linger against the hard bulge of his stomach hidden underneath black clothes a few sizes too big where some illness grew endlessly. He didn't know how many more times he could survive going under the knife cutting out the growth.

He preferred not to think of it. The pain was manageable.

"Flint, gather the men."

"Spears and bows, aye!"

"Elan, wood, chain and stone for a dragon pen." It didn't sound any less absurd coming out of his mouth.

"Yes, Lord Commander."

"Thank you," Aemon Targaryen whispered. "I would ask that you come as well, Lord Commander. The more dragonlord blood on hand, the better."

That was not something he wanted to hear.

It wasn't often Desmond was forced to remember the blood of Maron Nymeros-Martell and Daenerys Targaryen in his veins. He was a Sandy Dornishman from head to toe of black hair, dark eyes, proud nose and tanned skin. Nothing like the Valyrian pale skin, silver-gold hair and purple eyes for all that he was Aemon's distant kinsman. The last time he was forced to remember was when the second son of House Martell fostered at Sandstone. Last he heard of that boy, he'd been exiled to Essos for killing a man over a paramour.

He'd say Oberyn didn't get that from him, but he'd be lying. They were both second sons. A prince of Sunspear is sent across the Narrow Sea until tempers cooled, a lord of Sandstone must take the black.

He's not bitter. It's simply the way of things.

"You sure the Uller blood doesn't counterbalance the dragon blood out?" He jested weakly, half-serious. The slaying of Queen Rhaenys and the dragon Meraxes she rode over two hundred years ago was something the Ullers of Hellholt, his mother in particular, remained proud of.

As a young man, he'd maintained that the problem hadn't been the dragon, but the Valyrian cunt that rode it.

He was starting to rethink that opinion.

Aemon gave him a look.

Desmond sighed once more.

The fucking shit he did for the Watch.

It might have been three hours, perhaps four and either option was too soon before he found himself at the head of the column marching out from the Wall. He had looked behind him, at the old dark brick and iced courtyard of Castle Black with old wood posts and stables that would have rotted to dust long ago if not for the cold. It wasn't much, but it had been home for nearly two decades now and he was leaving it with a good chance of never coming back.

Marching to confront a living, breathing dragon in the North. Where the fuck did it come from?

Did he even want to know?

He hadn't thought about his blood in decades and now he couldn't stop thinking about it.

"What do I do if it likes me?" Desmond hissed out the side of his mouth, suddenly right fucking concerned.

"Praise your good fortune?" Aemon replied, his eyes shining. The old man was just about bouncing in his saddle, pleased as a pig in mud now that he was getting his way.

Desmond scowled.

"I'll be disowned," he muttered. Dragonfire had burned Sandstone back in the First Dornish War. It had burned every keep save Sunspear.

"You are already serving at the Wall," Aemon pointed out smugly and he swatted at the man.

It didn't take long before he saw their quarry, the shape looming in the distance. The crunch of the spring snows under the hooves of their horses was loud in the still air. The sky was still burning red. The smaller stars had finished falling, leaving an empty darkness split in two by the drifting large bleeding star. He glanced back behind him, taking in the lines of black brothers, faces grim, disbelieving, excited or all three. Mance Rayder, the cheeky shit, was riding on one of the horses dragging carts of building supplies and every spear they could scrounge from Castle Black, Eastwatch-by-the-Sea and the Shadow Tower. The young man winked back, lifting his lyre in silent proclamation that he was going to write a song about this nonsense and his brothers would be hearing it until his tongue fell out.

Commander Denys Mallister of the Shadow Tower to the west was a hard man with a face more hair than skin and his head the opposite. He had been in denial long enough to be vexing, but Commander Cotter Pyke of Eastwatch-by-the-Sea had leapt at the chance to see a dragon first hand. Everyone on the wall had heard the beast's roars and when the reinforcements arrived at Castle Black, everyone saw the Wall's new addition.

He still thought the ice dragon thing was fucking stupid.

Just the gods making fools of men again.

"By the Seven…" Mallister murmured as the shape became clear. They had put their backs to the Wall until they could determine which way the creature was facing after its fall.

The answer was towards them.

It was massive.

Even crumpled in the snow as it was, one could tell the shadow of its wings would cover several buildings in each direction. There was no castle courtyard he knew of that could fit the beast comfortably, not even the Red Keep of the king or Winterfell. Its bulk alone would crush Sandstone with ease. It wasn't that it was fat, it was just that big. He could barely make out the shadow of where the head was despite seeing the tip of the tail clearly. Smaller than Balerion, the Black Dread was reputed to be, but when it could still swallow a man riding a horse whole, what did that matter?

"She's beautiful," Aemon whispered reverently. "As silver as the dragon Sunfyre of Aegon the Usurper was gold."

"Sunfyre ate the Half-Year Queen after burning her alive," Desmond reminded them all grimly. He motioned with his arms for the men to set up. They did so in silence, all hushed in the presence of a living legend.

The dragons of the royal House Targaryen had been extinct for over a hundred years, the last one being a small, sickly thing no larger than a cat. A far cry from what lay in the snow before them.

Desmond could hear it breathe. Every breath was labored and he held some hope that they would need to do nothing but leave it to die in peace. The snow beneath it had melted away, revealing dark patches of rock and dirt stained darker with dragon blood. Steam wafted off the beast's silver scales.

"This is close enough," Aemon said.

"Right," he said, quietly. He swallowed thickly. "Wait here. If it kills us, follow the plan and kill it back."

"By your will, Lord Commander," Mallister said solemnly beneath his long beard as Pyke just grunted, beady eyes fixed on the dragon.

He took the horse for no other reason than it might buy him some time if he had to run for it.

"I cannot believe you talked me into this," he whispered harshly. His faltering steps greatly contrasted Aemon's slow, but steady approach.

"Peace," Aemon whispered back.

That's when the beast realized they were there and snapped viciously at them. Desmond fell back with a shout and so did many others, a stray arrow unleashed with panic burying into the snow behind him, but Aemon stepped forwards once again with High Valyrian flowing from his lips.

Tense, the reins cutting into his palms, Desmond waited, but the beast made no other aggressive moves. He held his breath as the old maester reached out his hand and rested it against the beast's flank.

It didn't move.

Heart in his throat, Desmond dared to relax as Aemon talked to the creature. He was at best conversational in the bastard Valyrian of the Free City of Braavos, but he thought Aemon might be flattering it. If he was, he couldn't blame the man. The beast was eye-catching.

The scales of its body were a pure shining silver like polished jewelry, but now that he was dangerously close, he could see the scales leading down its legs and to the tips of its visible wing were a duller color, like old neglected heirlooms ending in blackened claws and talons. It looked a Valyrian dragon to his eyes, despite the ice, with four limbs of two legs and two wings, black horns curling back from the crown of its head, a long serpentine neck and a cruel looking jaw. The line of long black barbs down its back made Desmond wince, imagining trying to mount it without losing his cock.

The sudden snarl from the dragon nearly made him piss his britches, but the creature strangled it into a long hiss before it went silent once more.

The wait was agonizing.

"She is calm now," Aemon spoke eventually. His face was upturned to the sky, the look on it was of a man seeing god, tears streaming down his cheeks. "And she will live."

Grand.

The beast was aware. A large reptilian eye of molten silver watched them. He told himself to think of all the Arbor Gold wine bottles the Watch could afford with this dragon.

It half-worked.

"She?" Desmond muttered as he sidled up behind, not hiding, the maester.

Aemon glanced at him, surprised. "Oh," he said. "She… feels female?" He questioned himself. "We have not bonded, I do not think," he said thoughtfully. The old man puttered around a bit, peering at what could be seen of its wounds. "Does it require an exchange of blood?" The maester asked no one. "Or a first flight?"

"Leave that for your nephew to figure out," Desmond said, exasperated.

"You are right, of course," Aemon said sheepishly. "Still, if my existence proves a barrier to him, know that I was glad to serve."

Desmond didn't know how to respond to that. "Aemon…"

"I am old," the man replied with a small smile. "A living dragon may be the key to hatching new ones, perhaps eventually she will have a clutch of her own." His smile grew. "Just as a Stark who swears to be the watcher on the walls would fight to protect the North as part of his duty to his house, this is mine."

The dragon was still looking at them.

Desmond watched the slitted pupil travel from Aemon to himself and then behind him to the rest of the black brothers, their horses and the carts of supplies. Tales told that dragons were smarter than dogs or horses, but no one alive knew by how much. By the time the cold, silver gaze returned to him, he had the sinking feeling that the beast understood what they were planning to do.

He found himself raising his hands in surrender and backing up a step. "Let's not act rashly now…"

…Why was he talking to it!?

The dragon raised its head. Desmond watched, frozen as it towered over all of them, the wound on its neck becoming clear.

It looked as if it had only partially escaped an attempted beheading.

There was another wound ripping up its side and tearing through an eyebrow ridge and Desmond felt his blood run cold. The one question they had all avoided asking, had all avoided thinking about -

What lay in the North that could do such a thing to a dragon?

Its head continued to raise as it tilted its chin back. The bleeding star shone from behind the horns on its crown, casting a long, dark shadow upon them. A sudden, freezing wind picked up as the beast crooned a long, mournful note and then in a flash of brilliant white-blue light -

"What in all the Seven Hells!?"

Everything stopped making sense.

The dragon was gone. A woman wearing not a stitch of clothing stood before them in the crater of stone and muddy water.

Desmond blinked once. Twice.

He slapped himself.

"Lord Commander," Aemon said in a tight, trembling voice with his eyes the size of plates and the blood gone from his face. "Your cloak, if you would."

Numbly, he handed the black cloth over without comment.

The maester held it up. He stepped forward with the cloak out in front of him as a shield and nearly stumbled, gasping when it passed through the space the wing of the beast had occupied.

It was no illusion.

How by the Old gods and the New - and the Mother Royne, the Fourteen Flames of Valyria, R'hllor and whoever else he was forgetting - was this possible?

Dragons were dragons. Men were men. Even the skinchangers of the wildlings could only control animals, not change into them.

"Aemon…"

"She is not hostile," the maester replied stubbornly, but the shock still robbed his voice of strength. "And easier - easier to house like this, easier to treat her wounds," he rambled, eyes near popping out of his skull still. "Easier to feed - "

"But not contain," Desmond said grimly.

Not if it could just turn back whenever it wanted. The only reason he hadn't drawn his sword to strike at the perceived weaker form was that he knew nothing about it. Was it a natural ability?

Magic?

Some shape-changing witch of the land beyond the Wall that assumed a form she could barely control to escape danger?

That made the most sense to him, but it bred dozens of other questions. Where she came from, where the talent came from and if there were others who could do the same. He had a hard time imagining her a member of any of the known wildling tribes, because she would have stood out like a sore thumb.

If the dragon had looked Valyrian to his eyes, then the woman did as well. Hair as shining silver as the dragon scales had been, porcelain skin and eyes of a purple so deep, they looked almost blue. Above average height for a woman with a supple form. Regal features of delicate cheekbones and chin, paired with a straight nose that turned up at the tip and full lips shaped like a goldenheart bow. The wound that ripped up her side, exposing the bone of her ribs and shoulder, the bled scratch across her eye and the one on her neck was not enough to hide that she was an altogether lovely creature.

Aemon shuffled closer and offered her Desmond's black cloak. A detached amusement shone in those cold, ancient purple eyes for a moment, but she moved to take it and covered herself. He then said something in High Valyrian, but there was no indication of comprehension on her neutral face. The learned man tried several other languages, the bastard Valyrian of Lys and Volantis if he wasn't mistaken, the Common tongue and even a word or two in the Old Tongue of the North, but the lack of response was the same.

"Let me," Desmond blustered, stepping forward.

His assumption that this was a shape-changing witch died a swift death when those eyes darted to him with the hungry intensity he'd only seen in shadowcats and wolves. The look swiftly faded back into distant interest, but the damage was done.

The lessons he had as a child on what to do when faced with a large predator was now at the forefront of his mind.

No sudden movements.

Aemon must have received the same lessons, stilling completely.

"...we can make a run for it," Desmond said out the side of his mouth, eyes locked on the creature. "It's still bleeding."

Dark red blood that still smoked in the cold air was trickling down its legs from under his cloak. Its breathing was still shallow and labored, but it showed no sign of pain despite the blood still frothing from its opened throat.

It didn't seem to even notice the cold.

"You can, perhaps," Aemon whispered back and Desmond winced, remembering the cane the maester was getting used to using. "This is still salvageable - this - this is incredible!"

Desmond cursed under his breath.

Fucking Valyrians.

It slowly raised a deceptively small hand, palm up and fingers curled like it still had talons. Desmond prepared to leg it when a soft, white glow began to collect before it. His skin was like gooseflesh, a tingle running up and down his spine as the glow sunk into its skin.

He watched, terrified as its wounds began to close.

"Magic," Aemon breathed.

"Magic," it repeated and the maester jumped. Desmond felt his blood run cold. It replicated the old man's Crownlands accent perfectly. It had a full bodied woman's voice with a rasp that could either entice a chaste septon to bed or turn to promise a fate worse than death.

"Oh." The old Targaryen turned left, then right, overwhelmed and then slowly raised his arm to point back at their spooked horses. "Horse."

That absent amusement appeared in the creature's eyes once more.

"Horse," it repeated.

"Why are you teaching it - "

"The first step to cooperation is communication. Dragons have always been said to understand spoken commands. She can learn!" Aemon hissed back at him, before gently scooping up a handful of snow in his hand, holding it out. "Snow."

"Snow."

Its gaze drifted and they both followed it. It was looking at the seven hundred foot tall wall of ice and stone they served on.

"Wall," Desmond said carefully.

There was a cruel curl to its lip as it said, "Wall."

Desmond closed his eyes for a moment. Teach a dragon to understand what 'don't kill me' means and hope it agrees not to is not the worst plan he ever heard, but that wasn't saying much.

When did this become his life?

Aemon gestured to himself. "Targaryen."

"Targaryen."

The maester searched its face for any sign of recognition, but there was none.

"Qorgyle," Desmond introduced himself.

"Qorgyle." It said exactly as he did, the soft 'r' of the Rhyonish influence and all. Desmond took a risk and pointed at the creature with a finger and raised a questioning eyebrow.

Its lips turned up into a gentle smile that did not fool him.

"Terendelev."

"If we all die, it's your fault," Desmond said.

"Noted," Aemon replied calmly. "Lord Commander."

"Don't you fucking 'Lord Commander' me."

Two things were keeping him from vomiting up last night's dinner from sheer nerves. The first was that the beast continued to remain non-hostile, showing no aversion to men or animals getting close. Aemon was brave enough to touch it, guiding it to sit on Desmond's poor horse.

He half-expected its weight to remain, even if its bulk had not, but by all accounts it weighed as much as it should.

It was unnerving.

The second was that it was non-hostile.

After an aborted spear charge by frightened black brothers, an unnatural harsh wind had blown all the stray arrows off course. Desmond had taken one look at the wooden shafts in the snow and the arrow heads cut clean off each and every one and decided to wrangle his men back into order.

He had been half-tempted not to, but so far they were all alive, he'd like to keep it that way and fucking off to leave the beast on their doorstep was not an option. Never mind if it decided to repeat that night's performance once its wounds finished sealing, the thought of a wildling chieftain getting bright ideas about it was a nightmare.

So it was coming with them.

The rest of the journey back to the Wall was spent in shocked, sullen silence. There wasn't a black brother that didn't have his eyes glued to the silver dragon-woman sitting side saddle on his horse. Whether it was because it was a fucking dragon-woman or the fact that they there were no women at the Wall and it was wearing the very comely guise of one, he didn't much care.

And he knew it to be a guise.

That same hunger in its gaze sought out every quick or unexpected movement. The turn of its head was quick and serpentine. It walked like it was floating on air, ready to sprout wings and take flight at any moment. He laid a gimlet eye on it the entire way.

Dorne had a reputation for being sexually freer than the rest of the continent and it wasn't an entirely undeserved one. Not as much as claimed, but the hot sun year round and Rhoynish sense of community had an effect. He'd been a man long grown with a lover and had toured the Free Cities before taking the black and knew the signs of a seductress.

It bothered him that he didn't find any in it.

It kept the black cloak tightly closed. It held itself like the horse saddle was a throne. It was uninterested in eyeing any man, just their movements. It did not shy away from touch, but neither did it welcome it. Its fair face was set in a look of distant, polite attention with flashes of inquisitiveness as it took in Castle Black.

If he didn't know any better -

And he did -

He would have assumed the other form was a common cat, not a dragon.

Aemon took the initiative in leading the creature towards the maester's tower, babbling to it and leaving the rest of them milling about aimlessly, unable to believe what had just happened.

"What the fuck." Desmond exclaimed into the quiet.

His castle courtyard exploded into noise like he blew the signal horn instead.

"Hey!" He shouted over them all. "HEY!"

He put two fingers into his mouth and whistled sharply, cutting through the exclamations and questions. He glared around at every stubborn pocket of chatter until it went quiet.

"Any of you fuckers touch that - " He pointed at the maester's tower. "If you don't get us all killed , I will geld you. If you're already cockless, I will take a hand." And wonder why you bothered. "Pack this shit away and get back to your posts!"

Mallister fell in beside him. "I do not like this," the Riverlander spoke quickly, hushed. "We should have killed this… abomination."

They could certainly try, but Desmond started his tenure as Lord Commander being cautious and he wasn't going to stop now. In his opinion, if it ate food and drank wine like a human then it was that much easier to poison. He wasn't certain how much easier, because magic , but failed attempts would still be less costly than spoiling whole goats.

They needed those.

"Kill it," Desmond repeated. "I'm curious what plan you have concocted that will end in our martial victory of a thousand men against a magical ice dragon."

Mallister's sour face twisted up further. "Or at least left it outside."

So there was no such plan.

Pity.

"Do you know if wildling skinchangers can control dragons?" He asked in false curiosity and Mallister stiffened, his face beneath his thick beard going white. "Me neither."

He turned to stare hard at Cotter Pyke until the Ironborn bastard tore his eyes away from the maester's tower with a scowl, scrubbing at the patchy beard on his face as he stomped away. Good thing that one was going to be far away from the creature. Who wants a dragon for a salt-wife anyhow?

For all they knew, its cunt had teeth in it.

…damn, he should have told the men that! He could have made something up about dragons mating in flight and how else was the male going to keep it in there?

The creature didn't understand the Common tongue and no one knew any better.

"It'll be gone soon enough," Desmond murmured. "But if you could leave me with extra men…"

"Done." Mallister nodded, relieved and peeled away to begin bellowing at his own forces, preparing to retreat back to the Shadow Tower.

Desmond watched him go, bemused. Was that all it took for that miser to finally give him men without argument?

Relief the Lord Commander wasn't being bewitched?

Brenn Flint bounded up to him with a wicked looking smile on his face and he felt a headache coming on.

Desmond sighed. "What?"

"So!" The big man clapped him about the shoulder and turned him around, bent over like a gossiping old woman. "Does this mean what we're going to negotiate with the Iron Throne is the bride-price?"

Desmond palmed his face.

He forgot about that.

"The prince is unmarried!" The Flint said far too loudly. "That dragon blood talk might be literal!"

"Brenn."

"Lord Commander?" Brenn leered. "Not like we can afford a royal dowry."

"Get out of my sight before I have you thrown from the top of the Wall."

The man rolled his eyes. "Aye, fine, you've all let your sense of humor freeze up here, Byam, lad, attend me!"

Left alone, he watched the bustling of activity as Castle Black slowly drained of most of the extra bodies clad in black. His feet took him back to his own quarters. Digging out the bottle of sour Dornish red hadn't been a conscious decision, filling a second mug of wine was.

He needed to go back to sleep.

He wasn't going to get any more sleep because he already got the blood pumping and that was just how his body worked so he might as well not bother trying.

He stashed the near empty bottle and wandered back outside. He looked up at the sky still ablaze with the starfall.

A good sign or an ominous omen?

He had never put much stock in Northern legends before arriving at the Wall, and most he still dismissed.

The Nightfort was still a creepy, decrepit castle with or without the tales of the Rat Cook serving prince-and-bacon pies, or the old Andal king's curse. The one of the Night's King who had taken an Other bride was an old wives tale like the rest, and the Others had never been able to turn into dragons in the stories, but...

His hands shook.

It had tensed almost imperceptibly as they passed beneath the wall. He only noticed, because it had been his horse it had been riding. He had been close and he had been watching. It was not a reaction to the enclosed space of the tunnel of ice, only the crossing of the threshold.

He didn't know what it meant, if anything, but it left him uneasy.

A beast was one thing.

One he knew had the intelligence to match a man was another.

There was a magical ice dragon at the Wall.

He sighed.

Fucking stupid.

AN: Hello, I'm back. Unmedicated ADHD is hell. AUoS Tuesday. Hope this one is good too.

I'm glad! I'm giving credit to @Pridakarbiter 's Red Glaive for the inspiration. There will be more.

I'm glad my work served as inspiration! And I look forward to reading more chapters!

I particularly like how you leaned into the inhuman aspects of the dragon here, I always enjoy that kind of culture shock between characters, species, or settings. I must also admit I am not familiar with Pathfinder dragons, but you've presented things clearly enough to follow along and discern that dragons remain, well, dragons.

I'm glad my work served as inspiration! And I look forward to reading more chapters!

I particularly like how you leaned into the inhuman aspects of the dragon here, I always enjoy that kind of culture shock between characters, species, or settings. I must also admit I am not familiar with Pathfinder dragons, but you've presented things clearly enough to follow along and discern that dragons remain, well, dragons.
It's really good! Update when? >.>

Thanks for stopping by. As far as Pathfinder dragons go, 90% similarity to Dungeon and Dragons...dragons. Including Chromatic = Evil and Metallic = Good, there is just an additional 'Rise' and 'Tarnish' mechanic regarding alignment shifts.

And yeah, Terendelev is going to be a very dragony dragon the entire story, no matter what form she's in.

It's really good! Update when? >.>

Thanks for stopping by. As far as Pathfinder dragons go, 90% similarity to Dungeon and Dragons...dragons. Including Chromatic = Evil and Metallic = Good, there is just an additional 'Rise' and 'Tarnish' mechanic regarding alignment shifts.

And yeah, Terendelev is going to be a very dragony dragon the entire story, no matter what form she's in.
I wish I could give a definite arrival date for the next update. :(

Unfortunately, I'm taking two intensive practical classes at the same time. Since they both involve lots of writing, whenever I sit down to write creatively I'm filled with writer's block that instead of being a lack of ideas is more of a 'shouldn't you be working on school instead?' It's not dead, that's the most I can assure you, Red Glaive is just in a weird limbo.

Lol, I'm also not familiar with D&D dragons, I've only ever been a player in a D&D game, never a GM so I don't have any idea about any of their dragons either beyond fanfics and that Red = Bad or something. Definitely doesn't stop my enjoyment of this story!

I will be learning about Terendelev's world alongside the Westerosi, so that makes it doubly interesting!

I wish I could give a definite arrival date for the next update. :(

Unfortunately, I'm taking two intensive practical classes at the same time. Since they both involve lots of writing, whenever I sit down to write creatively I'm filled with writer's block that instead of being a lack of ideas is more of a 'shouldn't you be working on school instead?' It's not dead, that's the most I can assure you, Red Glaive is just in a weird limbo.

Lol, I'm also not familiar with D&D dragons, I've only ever been a player in a D&D game, never a GM so I don't have any idea about any of their dragons either beyond fanfics and that Red = Bad or something. Definitely doesn't stop my enjoyment of this story!

I will be learning about Terendelev's world alongside the Westerosi, so that makes it doubly interesting!
Oh geez, glad you said something actually. Now I will definitely be sure to keep in mind that I can't take any D&D similarities for granted, urk. And yeah, I was just through something similar, but instead of school, it's due to the Adderall shortage so it took all my energy to get through work with unmedicated ADHD for over a month, so forget concentrating enough to write. Hope it gets better!

Thank you for a great story! I like it a lot.

Bestiary
Stat blocks used for the story if anyone is familiar with DnD/Pathfinder:

Terendelev CR 23
Female Ancient Silver Dragon

Alignment: Lawful G̵̢̛̳̈́o̴̝̳͝ͅo̷̡͇͋̚͠d̶̠̒̎͠

Size: Gargantuan (100 ft) Reach 35 ft ( 40ft with Bite)

Initiative: +4; Senses: blindsense 60ft, darkvision 120ft, keen senses, Listen +47, Spot + 47

Aura: Frightful Presence 300ft. (DC 37)

Defense
AC 43, Touch 10, flat-footed 43; +2 vs. evil
HP 459 (34d12 +238)
Fortitude Save +26, Reflex Save +19, Will Save +27; +2 vs evil
Damage Reduction 15/magic and 10/adamantine; Fire, Electricity, Sonic, Cold (first 120 points); Immune: Sleep, paralysis; Spell Resistance 29

Weak: Vulnerability to Fire

Offense
Speed, 40ft ground, 200ft fly (Clumsy)
Melee: bite +43 and 2 claws +38 and 2 wings +38 and tail slap +37
Special: Breath Weapons Cone of Cold 60ft, 20d8, Reflex half DC 34 and Cone of Paralyzing Gas 1d6+10 rounds Will Negate DC 34, Crush 4d6+28 Reflex DC 34 or be pinned, Tail Sweep 2d6 Reflex half DC 34

Morale
Valor is all! Never retreats nor surrenders unless ordered to by an acknowledged superior.

Stats
Str 35, Dex 10, Con 25, Int 26, Wis 27, Cha 30
Base Attack +34; Grip +58
Feats Alertness, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (claw), Power Attack, Snatch, Weapon Focus (bite), Weapon Focus (claw), Wingover
Skills Bluff +45, Concentration +44, Diplomacy +51, Escape Artist +37, Jump +49, Knowledge (history) +45, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +45, Knowledge (religion) +45, Knowledge (the planes) +45, Listen +47, Search +45, Sense Motive +45, Spot +47

Languages Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Infernal, Osiriani, Abyssal, Golarion Common Trade, Westerosi Common

Special Abiliites
Alternate Form: Terendelev can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action. Form remains until a new one is chosen or upon return to natural form. Favored: Silver-haired human female, indigo eyes

Cloudwalking: Terendelev can tread upon clouds, fog or mist as though on solid ground. This ability is continuous and can be negated or resumed at will.

Tarnished: Terendelev is affected by the corrupting forces of the Abyss. Upon failing a Will Save (DC 51) against demonic influence, her Silver tag will be replaced by a Rift tag. All cleric spells are replaced with Arcane or Demonic spells of the appropriate level. Demonic Rage is automatically cast and her alignment will change from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil. Morale becomes To the Strongest: Will retreat before a superior foe, for a time. This effect will remain until dispelled by a successful Will Saving Throw (DC 45) which can be attempted once per round.

Class: Level 15 Silver Sorcerer

Spell-Like Abilities

Control Weather: The caster can shift the natural state of the weather into another natural state, ie winter remains cold and the desert has little humidity. Effect is a 2 mile radius centered around the caster.

Control Winds: The caster has complete control over the movement of air in their local area.

Fog Cloud: A bank of fog billows out from the point designated by the caster, obscuring all sight.

Detect Thoughts: The caster is capable of listening in on the surface thoughts of any mind within their area as long as they concentrate, a successful Will Save by a target will break the effect.

Create Food and Water: This spell creates highly nourishing, if bland food and clean rain water for three humans or one horse per level (feeds 45 per cast at lvl 15).

Speak With Animals: Allows the caster to engage in basic ommunication with animal intelligences.

Feather Fall: This spell instantly changes the rate at which free falling targets (and their gear) fall to that of a feather and negates fall damage.

Known Spells

7th Circle

Greater Arcane Sight : The caster sees magical auras as per the spell Arcane Sight. Automatically knows which spells or magical effects are active upon any individual or object that is seen directly.

Ice Body: The caster exchanges flesh for living ice and becomes immune to any spells or attacks that affect physiology or respiration as they no longer have either.

Holy Word: Deafens, Blinds, Paralyzes or Kills Non-Good targets in a radius centered on the caster. A successful Will save reduces the effect. Becomes Hungry Darkness when Tarnished.

Hungry Darkness:
This spell creates an area of intense darkness filled with unseen chewing teeth and ravenous maws that gnaws and slashes any creature caught inside. Upon leaving, the target will continue to bleed until magically healed or bathed in intense light.

6th Circle

Antimagic Field: Suppresses any magical or spell effect used within its radius, but does not dispel it. Summoned creatures wink out while the field is active. This does not affect golems, undead, outsiders or elementals unless they have been summoned, but their spell-like abilities may be temporarily nullified.

Greater Dispel Magic: Ends the ongoing spell effects that have been cast on a creature or object, temporarily suppresses the magical capability of a magical item or counters another spellcaster's spell as like Dispel Magic, but with multiple targets.

Heal: Channel positive energy to wipe away injury and all afflictions save for negative levels and permanent drained ability scores or conditions. Becomes Hellfire Ray when Tarnished.

Hellfire Ray:
A blast of hellfire blazes one ray plus one additional every 4 caster levels beyond 11th to a maximum of 3 at 19th level. Half the damage is fire, the other half is Unholy. Any creature killed by this spell must make a Will saving throw or their soul will be instantly damned to Hell. A nonevil spellcaster must make a caster level check to resurrect them once per day. No restriction on evil spellcasters. Successfully revived characters are no longer automatically consigned to Hell.

5 th Circle

Break Enchantment: Free victims from enchantments, transmutations and curses with a caster level check. If the spell cannot be dispelled by Dispel Magic, Break Enchantment works only if that spell is 5th Circle or lower.

Prying Eyes: Creates a number of semi-tangible, visible magical "eyes" equal to 1d4 + caster level to move, scout and return as directed by the caster. Each eye can see 120 feet in normal vision in all directions, shares knowledge and must return to replay its recorded images. Range limit of 1 mile. Eyes that are destroyed cease functioning with no feedback or notification.

Flame Strike (DC 25): A column of divine fire strikes a radius. Half the damage is fire, the other half derives its power from the divinity invoked and is not subject to any resistance. Fire/Good, Fire/Untyped or Fire/Evil.

Dispel Evil: Functions as a Dispel Magic spell on Evil targets only. Becomes Abyssal Storm when Tarnished.

Mark of Justice (DC 25): Mark a subject with touch and state the condition that will activate the mark. Once activated the mark will curse the subject as per the spell Bestow Curse. Can only be cast on willing or restrained targets due to long cast time. Becomes Devour when Tarnished.

Abyssal Storm:
Creates a devastating storm of abyssal energies in a 40ft radius centered around the caster, dealing 1d6 electricity and 1d6 Unholy damage per caster level to every creature in the area.

Devour: Targets hit by a melee touch attack must make a Fortitude saving throw. Success is 1d6 damage per caster level. Failure is 3d6 per caster level. If the target dies from the attack, the caster nibbles on their departing soul regaining 10 hit points per caster level.

4th Circle

Detect Scrying: Immediately become aware of any attempt to observe you by means of a scrying or divination spell or effect for the next 24 hours. Pings the location of every magical sensor within the spell's area. If scrying is detected, a successful caster level check will deliver a visual image, direction and distance of the scrier to the caster.

Stoneskin: Grants a subject DR 10/Adamantine. The creature ignore the first 10 points of damage per caster level (maximum 150) from a weapon unless the weapon is made of Adamantine.

Spell Immunity: A touched creature is immune to one specified spell of 4th Circle or lower for every four caster levels. Does not affect spells that bypass spell resistance or supernatural abilities such as breath weapons or gaze attacks. Becomes Abyssal Chains when Tarnished.

Cure Critical Wounds: Cures as per Cure Light Wounds spell, but for 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +20). Becomes Infectious Rage when Tarnished.

Abyssal Chains:
Creates abyssal chains that damage and bind enemies dealing 1d8 bludgeoning damage per caster level to a primary target before spreading to secondary targets, the number of which equal to caster level. They must be within 30ft of primary target and no target can be struck more than once. A successful Reflex save is needed to avoid the bind and take half damage.

Infectious Rage: All enemy targets in a 30ft radius must make a Will saving throw or become enraged as per Demonic Rage, but will attack the nearest target. The saving throw can be attempted once each round to throw off the effect.

3rd Circle

Haste: Transmutes a creature to move and act more quickly than normal, but is not cumulative with other speed enhancing effects. Dispels and counters the spell Slow.

Protection From Energy: Grants temporary immunity to one specified energy type (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire or Sonic) for 12 points of damage per caster level for a maximum of 120 at 10th level before discharging.

Scales of Deflection: Brilliant Draconic iconography matching the caster's draconic heritage or alignment surrounds the caster. Resolves 1 Touch Attack attempted against the caster's normal AC per turn.

Cure Serious Wounds: Cures as per Cure Light Wounds for 3d8 + 1 (max +15) points of damage. Becomes Profane Hymn when Tarnished.

Profane Hymn:
Every enemy creature in a 40ft radius receives a -2 penalty to attack and damage rolls, caster level checks to overcome spell resistance, concentration checks and all saving throws.

2nd Circle

Glitterdust (DC 22): A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in an area, causing creatures to become Blinded and outlined for the duration. Any creature covered in dust takes -40 to Stealth checks and continue to sparkle until the spell ends.

See Invisibility: Allows the caster to see objects or beings that are invisible within their range of vision as well as any that are ethereal.

Eagle's Splendor: Transmutes a creature to be more poised, articulate and personally forceful and gain +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma.

Consecrate: Blesses an area with positive energy, disrupting every undead entering the consecrated area with a -1 penalty on attack, damage and saving throw rolls. Channeled positive energy have a +3 sacred bonus to Turn Undead. Undead cannot be created or summoned into a consecrated area. If the consecrated area is created on an altar, shrine or other permanent fixture dedicated to the caster's deity, aligned higher power or pantheon, all modifiers are doubled. Can be used to curse an area with a fixture of another deity, cutting off the connection. Does not grant the above bonuses and penalties if used this way. Counters and dispels Desecrate. Becomes Blood Haze when Tarnished.

Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures as per Cure Light Wounds for 2d8 + (max +10) points of damage. Becomes Consume Fear when Tarnished.

Blood Haze:
The caster's blood boils, making them faster and more ferocious as per the Haste spell. If a creature is killed during the effect, duration is increased.

Consume Fear: Makes a target appear more intimidating and makes it possible to feed on fear. Target gains bonus to Intimidate equal to the caster level and is healed for every Shaken or Frightened creature in a 30ft radius. Upon initial cast, creatures within 10ft of target must Will save or be frightened for 1d4 rounds.

1st Circle

Mage Armor: An invisible but tangible field of force surrounds the subject providing +4 armor bonus to AC. Incorporeal creatures cannot bypass this field the way they do normal armor.

Magic Missile: A missile of magic darts from the caster's fingertips to strike a target, dealing 1d4+1 points of Force damage. Highly accurate. 1 more missile is added every 2 caster levels beyond the 1st to a maximum of 5.

Protection From Evil: This spell wards a creature from attack by Evil creatures, from mental control and from summons. +2 deflection bonus to AC and +2 resistance bonus on saves against Evil creatures. Allows a second saving throw against mental compulsion effects with a +2 morale bonus. Prevents bodily contact with Evil summoned creatures, natural weapon attacks fail and when touched by a warded creature, the summon will recoil if Evil.

Shield: Creates an invisible but tangible shield of force as a +4 shield bonus to AC.

Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 +1 (max +5) points of damage. Becomes Blood Money when Tarnished.

Blood Money:
Transmutes the caster's blood into the material components necessary for a specified spell taking 1d6 points of damage and 1 point of Strength damage for every 500 Gold Dragons worth of components.

Cantrips

Mage Hand: Telekinesis limited to lifting 5 pounds.

Message: The caster can send whispered messages and receive whispered replies from a designated subject at a distance of 110ft +10 ft per level. Must have an open path to the target.

Open/Close: Closes or opens small or light things.

Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.

Detect Magic: Detects all spells and magic items within 60 ft.

Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or small object.

Dancing Lights: Creates magical torches or other lights of any color.

Mending: Makes minor repairs on a damaged or broken object.

Resistance: A touched creature is imbued with strength, granting +1 resistance bonus on saving throws. Becomes Bleed when Tarnished.

Bleed:
Causes a badly wounded, but stabilized creature below 0 hit points to resume dying.
White Walker CR10 - ???
XP 4,800
Alignment
: Chaotic Evil Fey (Cold)
Initiative: +10, keen senses, thermal vision 120ft, low light vision 120ft; Perception + 18
Aura: The Chill of Fear, 300ft - Attempts to frighten and drain CON from nearby foes once per round DC 17 - 37

Defense
AC 24 - ?, Touch 16, flat-footed 20
HP 154 (12d6 + 93) - ?; Regneration 5 (Obsidian or Dragonsteel).
Fortitude Save, +12 - ? Reflex Save +20 - ? Will Save +14 - ?
Defensive Abilities: Implements of Ice; Damage Reduction: 10/Magic - ?/Magic. Resist Energy: Fire/Lightning/Acid 5. Spell Resistance: 20 Immune: Cold, Sleep, Paralysis, Dazed, Bleed
Weak: Vulnerability to Obsidian, Sonic, Susceptible to Shatter.

Offense
Speed 30ft; icewalking
Melee + 8 icy burst weapons +18/+13/+8 (1d10+6/x3 plus 1d6 cold)

Spell-Like Abilities (CL10; Concentration +13)
Constant - pass without trace
At Will - chill metal (DC 15), obscuring mist, ghost sound (DC 13), ray of frost
1/day - freedom of movement, ice storm

Morale
To the Strongest: Will retreat before a superior foe, for a time.

Stats
STR: 17 - ? DEX: 20 - ? CON: 18 - ? WIS:15 - ? INT: 14 - ? CHA: 17 - ?
Base Atk +6; CMB +9; CMD 22
Feats: Improved Initiative, Weapon Finesse, Fencing Grace (Sword)
Skills: Perception +18, Sense Motive +18, Stealth +19, Intimidate +16, Acrobatics +19, Knowledge (nature) + 18
Languages: Aquan (Ice Dialect), Common, Old Tongue

Special Abilities
Rise: Any White Walker of any level can attempt to raise 4HD per level of any nearby corpses no matter the type of creature as Wights. This ability may be used at will.
Implements of Ice: A White Walker is of the Cold and can create, shape and use many mundane and magical variants of Ice at will. All Ice made objects are always treated as either light objects, or as the equivalent of Light Weapons and Light Armor when used by a White Walker. Its Ice armor and weapons have no check penalty.
Ice Walking: A White Walker can move across icy surfaces without penalty and do not need Acrobatics checks to run or charge on ice. Icy surfaces may be climbed as if under the spider climb spell.
Susceptible to Shatter (EX): A shatter spell deals 3d6 points of damage to a White Walker with no save and reduces its armor bonus by 2 for 1 minute. Shatter spells automatically overcome a White Walker's spell resistance.
Crystal Wyrm CR 14

XP 38,400

Alignment:
Neutral Evil ???

Init +8; Senses darkvision 120 ft., low-light vision, scent, true seeing; Perception +22

Defense

AC 29, touch 10, flat-footed 25 (+4 Dex, +19 Natural, -2 size)
HP 202 (15d12 + 105)
Fort +16, Ref +15, Will +13
Damage Reduction: DR 5/bludgeoning, piercing; Immune All Status Effects, Mind-Affecting Effects, Curse Effects; Spell Resistance 30
Weak: Fire

Offense

Speed 25ft, 45 ft (Rolling)
Melee bite +23 (2d8+12/19-20), 2 claws + 23 (1d8+12), tail +18
Special Attacks Breath weapon, Wyrm Wheel, Lunge

Stats

Str 34, Dex 18, Con 25, Int 5, Wis 18, Cha 21
Base Attack +15; CMB +31; CMD 45
Feats Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack
Skills Fly +16, Perception +22, Swim +38

Special Abilities

Breath Weapon (Su): Once every 1d4 rounds as a standard action, a Crystal Wyrm can expel a 40ft cone of crystal vapor that bursts into crystals upon contact, dealing 15d12 points of Magic damage to all creatures struck (Reflex DC 26 negates).

True Seeing (Ex): A crystal wyrm has constant true seeing, as per the spell of the same name.

Wyrm Wheel (Su): The Crystal Wyrm curls into a ball and rolls into opponents, throwing its entire weight behind its crystal studded shell for Bludgeoning and Magic damage (Reflex 26 negates).

Lunge (Su): The Crystal Wyrm uses its powerful hindlegs to jump upon a target, a charge with the ability to make a full attack at the end of the charge as per the pounce ability.

Last edited:
Going by that statblock, T is more than capable of soloing entire regiments of ordinary soldiers, given that most folks would need both a nat 20 AND a high damage roll to stand a chance of piercing her scales. Question though, Are Dragonglass and Valarian Steel weapons Magic for the purposes of bypassing DR or are they special materials like Cold Iron, Silver and Adamantine?

Going by that statblock, T is more than capable of soloing entire regiments of ordinary soldiers, given that most folks would need both a nat 20 AND a high damage roll to stand a chance of piercing her scales. Question though, Are Dragonglass and Valarian Steel weapons Magic for the purposes of bypassing DR or are they special materials like Cold Iron, Silver and Adamantine?
T canonically punched out a Balor Lord, but unfortunately lost the rematch. For some reason, where other Silver dragons tend to play Buff Ally/Debuff Enemy army support, Terendelev's listed preferred battle tactic is to buff herself, then wade in to beat a motherfucker to death.

Dragonglass is a special Fire-Aligned material, Valyrian Steel weapons are base Magic + 1 weapons, which means they are functionally the same as Masterwork regular weapons but have a +1 to their damage roll and bypass Magic DR.

T canonically punched out a Balor Lord, but unfortunately lost the rematch. For some reason, where other Silver dragons tend to play Buff Ally/Debuff Enemy army support, Terendelev's listed preferred battle tactic is to buff herself, then wade in to beat a motherfucker to death.
I now can't get he mental image of her buffing her self up and then picking out one of the enemies to buff so that they last longer and hit harder as she beats the other motherfuckers with that motherfucker.

I now can't get he mental image of her buffing her self up and then picking out one of the enemies to buff so that they last longer and hit harder as she beats the other motherfuckers with that motherfucker.
As she has access to Stoneskin and healing spells, motherfucker beating with other motherfuckers is a viable tactic.

Difference between DnD and Pathfinder Silver
What's the difference between Pathfinder Dragons and D&D dragons?
Depends completely on which dragon you are talking about. If you wanted to compare a DnD song dragon to it's Pathfinder equivalent, you can't because Pathfinder doesn't have them. For this story though, both Pathfinder and DnD has Silver dragons. They are both innately of the Lawful Good alignment and are of the Cold element with a second breath attack of paralyzing gas. Tend to have lifespans that reach 4200 years and get stronger as they get older. Both versions of Silvers usually don't go out seeking wrongs to correct, but rather will wait for someone to ask them for help. They don't necessarily enjoy combat, but if they have to fight they are still a fucking dragon. Often come into conflict with Red and White dragons over territory, although Whites usually pack up and leave if they see a Silver coming rather than fight. They have similar stat blocks, spells and size and are right beneath Gold dragons in power.

That is the end of the similarities. DnD Silvers live in clans for raising wyrmlings and typically lair in icy mountains with the main entrance accessible by air. Aside from flying, they prefer humanoid forms for day to day life, love human food and it is not uncommon for them to leave their clans as they get older and spend most of their life in the company of elves and humans. If they like them enough, even revealing their true selves. Have a variety of gods they worship by choice. They have dragon hoards of treasure and gold and magic items as dragons do. DnD Dragons in general are also Everysexual, being both capable and at times willing to crossbreed and the result are either half-dragon (non-humanoid cross) or dragonblooded (humanoid cross) children with the latter being the humanoid race + extras such as strength, constitution, magical ability, etc. Or you may end up with a Spellscale.

I am still not sure how that works.

Pathfinder Silvers are neurotic sons of bitches in comparison. They prefer to lair within or beneath pre-existing and occupied fortresses, keeps and castles, provided the occupants measure up to the Silver's standards. If there isn't any, then high mountains right below the snow line are their second best spot. They almost universally worship Apsu, the Dragon god and can directly communicate with him but a splinter 'faction' worship Iomedae as part of their involvement in the Crusades against demons. They hoard 'white' metals and will trade gold and colored gems for platinum or silver or colorless gems like diamonds. They also collect military paraphernalia such as banners and armor. Pathfinder Silvers are solitary creatures, typically not even interacting with each other. Part of this is because they have a strict 'category' system for other beings. Rivals. Charges. Allies. Enemies. Allies have to be powerful or very skilled beings seeking to uphold goodness and order. If you don't have the balls to punch a Silver in the face and make it hurt, you fall into the 'Charge. Must Protecc' category which is most people. Enemy is self-explanatory (and must be defeated) and other strong Silvers, including their own mates usually are seen as Rivals which is why if a Silver is sociable, they live close by (but not with) to Gold dragons and Celestials who are more easily seen as Allies or Mentors.

Pathfinder Dragons are not Everysexual with Blue dragons being the common exception. Every pairing will result in a half-dragon, but then that might be because Pathfinder dragons prefer to be a dragon as much as possible. Half-dragons breed true, so a half-dragon with a humanoid is going to be a quarter-dragon, not a dragonblooded humanoid. Dragonblooded children are often the result of magically altered adoptions instead.

The big difference is that Silvers have rules. A lot of them because they actively seek out and take on restrictions, rules, rituals and duties from higher powers, such as the Council of Gold dragons, Celestials or gods. Part of this is a weird form of draconic pride that they can take on the burden and part of it is dragon OCD (or dragon autism?) where these rituals and rules are comforting to them. Most Silvers have their eggs young when they don't have as many rules on mating yet. There was once a rule that Silvers had to perform a ritual in order to take a dump. Silvers seek out a mentor. This relationship is the most important one of a Silver's life because Pathfinder has the 'Tarnish' mechanic for its Metallic dragons where they can shift out of Lawful Good and it shows in the color of their scales. Silvers are the Metallic color most likely to tarnish and not only that, but of the Metallics that do fall all the way to Evil, Silvers tend to be the most depraved. Mentors are supposed to help stop that by keeping the Silver on the straight and narrow (by advice or kicking the misguided Silver's ass).

Humanoid races who must live in proximity to Silvers typically don't understand or react well to Silver neurosis. Such as their uncompromising categories, tendency to hyper fixate on law or fighting evil and their rules and rituals. Even Silvers that don't tarnish into Neutrality or worse can easily become tyrants where the Knight Paladin of dragons become zealous Knight Templars or Inquisitors so having their mentors on speed dial is essential.

Because a Silver dragon alone in the world is a terrible thing. For everybody else.

Last edited:
The Eyrie
The Eyrie​

Elbert Arryn dreamed of flying.

It wasn't a rare occurrence. The first time he'd seen a man executed by the Moon Door as a boy, he had night terrors of coming across that Weirwood door in a darkened High Hall. The pale white wood with the crescent moon carved into it would loom large over him. The three bronze bars that should be holding it closed missing. He would be unable to halt his approach and the door would slam open. The howling winds would sweep in and drag him out, sending him tumbling out into the sky where screeching falcons and demanding ravens flew.

The Eyrie was no place for anyone afraid of heights, having been built on the shoulder of the Giant's Lance mountain peak. So Elbert had taken the time to bodily fling himself against the Moon Door and its bronze bars, solely to satisfy himself that it wouldn't open without cause. He went to bed with a sore shoulder for that entire moon.

A Lord Arryn afraid of his own future seat wasn't proper either.

Fuck proper, then.

The sheer cliffs surrounding the small, but grand keep and the tall towers wouldn't be nearly so bad if he could just sprout wings whenever he wanted and fly to safety. If he were to be completely honest, it wasn't the thought of being high up in the air that got him. The view was amazing, after all. It wasn't even the thought of falling, really.

It was the godsdamned sudden stop.

There was no need for the way up the mountain to be so narrow and steep, you couldn't ride a horse up but had to use a bloody mule, who makes people climb up handholds in rock to get to your keep and the wind was murder -

The bird in his dreams called out in shrill, trilling chirps that echoed across the mountains. It was almost, but not quite that of an eagle. It was bolder and deeper, as if coming from a much larger bird.

Just don't drop me, he thought, inexplicably fond of the animal for all that it had taken to visiting his sleep for the past three days.

It trilled in response and there was a snap of flapping wings.

The sky above them was a soft red glow. He could not see the sun, moon or stars but below the Vale of Arryn stretched out as they soared above the clouds. The Mountains of the Moon were stately, inhospitable snow capped peaks crowding in around the long narrow Vale of Arryn. The valley was mostly brown and gray with patches of white snow. He was too high up to see the small lakes and streams clearly, but further out were the shadow of the Fingers and the cold coast of the Narrow Sea that lay between them and Braavos.

Elbert turned his head and the bird responded to his half-formed thought. They turned away from the Fingers, back towards the Eyrie. The white stone of the seven slim towers fairly gleamed. Alyssa's Tears spilled endlessly over the nearby cliff, the vapor and mist of the water forming the very same rainbow that inspired Roland Arryn to build his new seat there, in the light of the Seven.

Well.

What really inspired him was the grandeur of the Lannisters' Casterly Rock and the Hightower of Hightower. He competed, and in Elbert's opinion still lost, but it made for a nice story.

His bird called and the falcons surrounding the white keep scattered as they approached, but a black bird, a raven, flew directly into his face.

Elbert cried out, raising his hands as the half-burned animal shrieked. It batted his head with its wings and scratched his forearms with its talons as it tried to peck at his forehead. There was the sensation of powerful muscles between his legs as if he were astride a horse, brown and white plumage out the corner of his eye, the glint of golden talons.

His bird screeched, a harsh, angry sound and it chased the foul creature away.

I am yours, he thought with relief as he lowered his hands. Never fear.

There was an answering chirp.

He should be afraid of it, he knew.

The same dream three nights in a row was some kind of sign. Or perhaps he should wait until he made it to seven nights in a row to take it as a sign from the Seven-Who-Are-One. He couldn't imagine what dreaming of flying through the clouds as if he were the First Men legends of the Winged Knight or the Griffin King coming again would have to do with the Seven?

He had never been one to concern himself overmuch with the details. Perhaps he would ask the local septon or the maester, perhaps he would not.

I will not let any drive you away from me, Elbert thought. His bird called out happily and they soared together.

Elbert Arryn dreamed of flying.

All too soon, he woke up.

The low ceiling of the Gates of the Moon with the wooden rafters and pale gray stone greeted his eyes.

At least he had that still.

The first of his uncle's wards, Robert Baratheon, heir to Storm's End had yet to wake from the winter chill that was burning him up from the inside out.

The second, Eddard Stark of Winterfell, had woken up blind.

Elbert rose from his bed, tossing aside the heavy furs. The wind was not as loud as it was in the Eyrie, but they still howled furiously, wailing outside the walls of the stout keep. He splashed his face with the cold water left in the bowl for him.

"This nonsense better do away with itself before I inherit," he murmured softly to no one. "Gods know I'll have enough on my plate." The blond haired green eyed reflection with the Arryn nose and dark blonde stubble on his chin had a wretched, miserable smile as water dripped down his face. "Get your head out of the clouds, man."

But falcons were made to fly.

"You have a duty," Elbert whispered. He splashed his face again and squeezed his eyes shut in a hard blink. "You cannot waste away dreaming of what could never be."

He washed his hands and got dressed. He caught himself casting a longing look back at his bed and bolted out the door like a demon from the Seven Hells was after him.

"Shi - " Elbert spun to avoid trampling a maidservant carrying a food tray past his door. "Quick on your feet," he said admiring the way she caught herself against the wall so she didn't drop her burden. She was a pretty enough girl, buxom with dark red hair. He remembered seeing her around a few times. "For my uncle?"

"Yes - " She started, but he'd already snatched a small loaf of bread and some hard cheese off the tray. "Milord."

He grinned at the poorly hidden irritation in her voice. "Then you'll tell him I've already broken my fast, would you?"

The maid smiled back tightly. "I'll be sure to tell Lord Arryn where half his meal went, yes."

Oh, he liked this one.

"Careful," Elbert warned lightly as he turned to leave, waving his cheese at her. "Keep that up and I might just want to keep you, you know?"

She curtsied low enough to hide her expression then and said nothing at all. Insolent, but that was all well and good. He certainly didn't mind having to work for it.

Her name, next time.

The halls of the Gates of the Moon were short, but wide, fitting the stout gatehouse castle with its deep moat that guarded the way to the seat of House Arryn. The entire keep was made out of the pale gray stone mined from the Mountains of the Moon and it had the luxury of a few narrow windows, currently covered over with oiled leather flaps to keep the wind out. The soft red glow creeping around the edges along with the cold wisps of a breeze almost tricked him into thinking it was later than it was.

The bleeding red star still burned in the sky. It had been a moon since the Stars Fell.

They have all adjusted in their own way.

The inner ward of the castle was just beyond the Great Hall, down the stairs through the pillared gallery. Winter was still going strong, covering the roughly triangular shape in the white of snow instead of green grass or beige sand. Elbert's breath steamed in the cold air as he strode towards the now familiar sight of a wooly headed Northerner out and about with just an undershirt and breeches on.

"Uncle Jon's still trying to figure out what to tell your father, Ned." Elbert deliberately dragged his feet as he rounded the boy to announce his position. "He is not getting much further than 'Rickard, your son is now blind. My apologies.'"

Jon Arryn had been unamused, but Elbert had laughed himself sick.

If he didn't laugh, he'd cry

Eddard Stark snorted softly. "Make sure he does not forget the 'cannot freeze' part," the young wolf said solemnly. The boy's iced over gray eyes looked up at him as he wiggled his bare toes into the snow. "That might be important."

Elbert raised both eyebrows. "You mean, you didn't come like that?"

Ned sighed the way he always did for him and Robert and Elbert almost smothered his smile until he remembered it wouldn't be seen.

That was almost enough to kill the grin by itself, but not quite.

"Starks have ice in their veins," he offered lightly. "Isn't that what they say?"

"Aye," Ned said gently as the wind howled around them. "I am from the North, my lord."

"A moon ago, you knew better than to brave the winter in nothing but your underclothes," Elbert drawled. "And you were from the North then too."

"You won't catch me like this in a Northern winter, Lord Elbert." Ned had a tiny smile on his face. "This is just summer snows."

"I see, so I was just imagining you bundled up with the rest of us."

"Just so."

The boy was looking in his direction, but as always now, it overestimated his height and was just to the left over his shoulder. Ned looked…

Small.

He was a decade younger than himself, a boy of two and ten but he looked some years younger still. He would likely never match his older brother Brandon in height, but he had the same dark hair and long Stark face. Northmen were usually pale and Ned was no different, but since his eyes iced over, the boy could put a hand on the Weirwood Throne and they'd lose sight of where the white wood ended and he began.

He'd almost gotten used to those iced eyes of his. He'd seen blind men before. The Ninepenny Wars had not been so long ago. Men blinded in battle that had the eye scooped out of the socket, the eye turned white from the scarring left behind from infections or abscess, or with the eye lazy and crooked with wide pupils from bad blows to the head. It was unlike the illness of the eyes that came upon men when they got old with the cloudy, white patches, but iced.

The same thin ice that crept along the shores of slow moving streams and deep lakes covered the gray of his eyes, as if it could melt as tears, but never did. At times, there would be beads of blood at the corners and he'd know Ned had been rubbing them again.

They stung him sometimes and nothing the maester made helped.

"...no one is helping guide you out here, is there?" He watched Ned's thin shoulders hunch and his small smile dropped. "I've been having dreams!" Elbert blurted out, stricken. "The same one - for the third night now, so if you - what I mean is, I do not believe you cursed. Or we are both cursed."

So you can talk to me, he meant.

His uncle was his father, in deed even if not in name after his own Ronnel Arryn died of a bad belly the same year of his birth. It was such that he never wondered about him beyond some curiosity and it was the same way that after Robert and Eddard arrived, he had never needed to wonder further about baby siblings.

They were gloriously unrepentant burs-in-his-saddle half the time, but he'd die for them.

"You do not believe the Seven can return my sight, my lord?" Ned asked. He sounded like it was a simple question, but his shoulders remained tense.

"What I think," Elbert began slowly. "Is that the Seven have better things to do than to torment a child over his faith." He frowned and then grunted, "That was ill done of Septon Doller. If they needed to take your sight to get your attention, they weren't deserving of it in the first place."

Ned shrugged a shoulder. "He learned I lost the use of my eyes, not my fists."

Elbert sighed.

He should say something to that, but Ned had already taken his punishment without complaint and it was not like the boy could avoid the sept harder, so he let it be.

Robert was is the very definition of boisterous, but Eddard was trouble in his own quiet way.

"I dream of flying," Elbert admitted as he looked to the sky where the bleeding star hung, forever falling.

It should have fallen by now. He'd heard his Lord Uncle question the maester thoroughly on the topic. It should have passed.

The word 'unnatural' was on many lips.

"There should be a weirwood here," Ned said seriously and Elbert looked back at him to see him staring at the patch of fine dirt and snow he always seemed to find himself in front of these days.

Can the blind stare?

Elbert accepted the subject change. "Ground is too rocky, it could never support one." He placed a careful hand on Ned's shoulder. "...here? Not the Eyrie?"

It was the same answer there, but he'd never heard Ned express real interest in having one after he first arrived some five years ago.

"Here," Ned said firmly. His head moved as if he was going to look back at him, but thought better of it. His shoulders stiffened further. "...that is what the wolf says."

What the wolf says.

Elbert felt a chill creep up his spine and an itch tickle the back of his head as if he had suddenly become aware of someone's gaze. He looked around, but there was no one else in the inner ward for it was early and all would be heading to the Great Hall to break their fast and to stay out of the cold.

"I assume the wolf is why you've been able to come down from the Falcon Tower without breaking your neck."

Elbert didn't question whether the wolf existed, even if Ned was the only one able to see it.

Lying was not something the young Stark enjoyed doing. He would, Elbert had no doubt about that, but it would not be for a trivial matter or the usual childhood foolishness. Eddard would say bold as brass to your face that he and Robert snuck some strongwine last night or that he struck the septon for being a cunt that day, take his lumps stoically and move on.

Robert would puff up like an angry cat on the defense before the words even came out of his mouth if he was telling the truth, but thought he wouldn't be believed. Ned wore his heart on his sleeve.

You just had to actually think to look for it among the snow.

Under his hand, he felt Ned relax. "Aye."

"The bird I dream of is a bloody big animal," Elbert offered. "Brown and white feathers, golden talons and we fly all across the Vale."

"Like the Winged Knight," Ned said and Elbert squeezed his shoulder lightly.

"I believe it to be an eagle of some kind, perhaps a very large sea eagle. Big enough to carry a man on its back."

He never saw the Vale from the sky and maps were expensive to make and had only the important details, but somehow Elbert knew that if he took to the sky right now, awake, he would see the same view as his dreams.

Ned moved his hand, reaching out to trail his fingers through the air. "It's as big as your horse."

Elbert paused.

"The wolf?"

His horse was a destrier stallion bred for battle. It was almost taller than he was.

"The direwolf." Ned said. "Like my house sigil."

Elbert made a noise in his throat. "I count myself fortunate that they are extinct then."

Ned looked towards him and there was his small smile again. "No, they aren't. They just aren't seen south of the Wall. Much."

Ah.

So Elbert was never going north of the Neck.

"Wipe that grin off your face!" Elbert demanded and Ned obediently did so, but the cheeky shit still looked amused so he cuffed him gently. "Come, let us get some food in your belly. I can hear it."

The Great Hall of the Gates of the Moon was of a far different look than the High Hall of the Eyrie, being both far wider than it was narrow and holding four hearths that were kept burning day and night. In the coldest years, lords and smallfolk would sleep on the benches and the fires used for slow roasts and stews rather than to make everyone wait for food to be brought in from the kitchens. It was a practical room for a practical keep. The High Hall in comparison seemed made for ceremonies and dances with its blue-veined white marble walls, silk carpet and fluted pillars. The luxury evident in the glass of the narrow arched windows.

In truth, the seat of House Arryn was the smallest of the great castles for lack of room on the mountain peak. Perhaps old king Roland Arryn could have commissioned a bridge over Alyssa's Tears as he heard of Volantis built up on both sides of the Rhoyne River, but then there was the issue of stability.

He won't say he had night terrors of the Giant's Lance peak crumbling away beneath the keep, but he had a few concerns.

And the Eyrie was unlivable for years on end during winter anyway!

If he surprised Jon's bones by keeping his household at the Gates and letting the Weirwood Throne collect dust up there, the old man simply hadn't been paying his heir any attention.

Elbert accosted one of the staff for a wooden bowl of preserved fruits and nuts, a thin slice of buttered bread and balanced a mug of weak beer as he made his way back to the high table. Jon's seat was empty, but he already knew his uncle had broken his fast in his rooms. He took his own seat to the right of it, nodding at several of the lords already sitting such as Rendan Belmore, the current Steward of the keep and Vardis Egen, a knight of the household guard.

"Here we are." Then they began the dance that after a moon had begun to feel routine. He placed the mug by Ned's left hand with a loud clunking sound so he knew where it was, picking out a good mix of fruit and nuts before seeking out the boy's cold fingers to place the food in his palm, repeating after every mouthful as Ned blankly stared ahead over the hall, seeing nothing.

The mood was as subdued as it had been since the Stars Fell. Robert was still abed and Maester Colemon was optimistic about his chances. Even if it had been a moon with no improvement, he had yet to worsen and die like the others.

"I've heard the news that Lord Estermont is to visit his nephew," Elbert said, if nothing else than to distract himself from the suspicious stares from the lower table.

They were all familiar enough with the effects of having stayed too long in the cold. The loss of sensation and then the return of it with a bloody vengeance, like the air itself was burning your fingers and ears. The shivers. The stuff nose and sneezing. Even in spring, the harsh winds coming down from the mountains could turn a man's lips blue. The Eyrie was second only to the North in bearing the brunt of winter.

Ned had since stopped showing any signs of warmth. A living corpse. The only hint of red on his cold skin came from the fire at his back that played strangely across his iced over eyes.

Elbert saw why the septon had reacted as he did, he just didn't much care. Eddard was Eddard. Second son of the Lord Paramount of the North, Rickard Stark, ward of his own Lord Uncle and a good lad.

He refused to entertain the odds of the boy being hung as a witch if he had been anyone else.

"The babe pulled through, Renly I believe his name was," Elbert mused.

"That is good," Ned said softly.

Lord Baratheon was said to be glued to the king's side with hints of some malady in King's Landing without detail, so he couldn't travel to see Robert, his heir. Gods, he hoped they weren't about to see the return of the Great Spring Sickness. Brynden Rivers had burned the capital's dead with wildfire, because normal fire wouldn't have done the job fast enough.

"Baratheons are made sturdy. Robert will wake, I assure you."

Ned turned his head. "Wake different?"

Like me
, Elbert heard in the silence.

"Mayhaps," he shrugged with a nonchalance he did not feel. Ned did not burn with fever. He froze over. Elbert had gotten through the night the Stars Fell seemingly unaffected, but with increasingly insistent dreams.

He didn't know what it all meant.

"If you wished to return home…" Elbert found himself offering. The North was a wild, strange land with its own legends and tales that might help, but Ned shook his head.

"Not until spring comes, my lord," Ned said softly.

Elbert hummed. "The Citadel believes it will come early. Barely two years of winter this time."

"Yes," Ned intoned and looked to his right at an empty space. Elbert swallowed hard.

The wolf.

"It will."

And what a spring it will be! The sigil of Eddard Stark's house cackled with the genderless voice of someone old, even older than Old Nan, with dust and bones in its throat. Enjoy it to the fullest, pup, before its end.

Winter is coming,
Ned thought his house words and he felt Elbert press some food, dried berries by the feel, into his hand.

The Grand Hall was a shifting, shapeless mass of shadows and light and moving images flowing past him like a rushing river. It was as if every person he saw was a Faceless Man assassin, ever changing their faces, surfacing and drowning out of sight with the passage of time. The history of the Gates of the Moon was a long one and he was not yet skilled enough to separate the strands from each other.

He saw it all at once. It was confusing at best, but it was better than nothing.

It was better than nothing.

Since the wolf came to him, Ned dreamed while awake with his eyes wide open.

Winter has always been coming, the wolf chuffed as it towered over him as a steady presence with eyes of gold. It responded to his thoughts as if they were words spoken out loud. Its coat was a dark gray mingled with bronze and emerald strands, bronze fangs and bronze claws offset by the fluffiest tail Ned had ever seen or felt.

It is ever consuming and ever consumed, a circle with no end nor beginning. What is one grasping mouth to the ceaseless hunger it feeds?

Ned thought about the cold winters his father spoke of. He chewed his berries and knew that even now the people of the North were cinching their belts and rationing to hold out for as long as they could through the snowstorms. There was no way of knowing when winter would end, but Winterfell had never needed a white raven from the Citadel to announce the season's arrival.

Everyone in the North knew Winter had Come when the white winds blew.

His father said it roared like a wild beast from the far North. You could see it coming, a solid wall of white like a mountain avalanche of snow rushing in, swallowing trees and roads and keeps whole. If any were caught in the wilds unaware…

A lone wolf dies, but the pack survives, Ned thought.

For a moment, a group of men arguing fiercely became clear in front of them. They wore iron armor and furs and one had a silver circlet on his head, but before he could catch any more details, they melted back into the shifting waters of history.

The direwolf let its tongue hang out of its mouth in a dog-like grin and its golden eyes were crinkled in mirth. And who is your pack, I wonder?

My family.
Wild and brave Brandon, the firstborn and heir to the North. Adventurous and loud Lyanna who had been begging father for riding lessons when he left to foster in the Vale. Little Benjen, barely more than a babe toddling after his siblings.

And Father, tall and strong, a true lord.

For a moment, he thought he saw Rickard Stark on one knee with his head bowed and hand outstretched on the trunk of a white tree. His eyes stung.

The wolf laughed at him. Ah, mortal minds, capable of so much and so little at once.

It stood and padded closer, passing completely through the shadow of a shadow that passed for the table before him.

This boy, the wolf spoke, breathing over Elbert Arryn's brilliant plumage. Ned saw when the heir of Arryn's dreams started, because he was able to see him at all.

It wasn't an eagle. It looked mostly like an eagle, but there was no eagle Ned knew of that had the body and back legs of a lion.

Andal, you would call him, yes?

Ned would. Elbert kept the Seven and was descended of Artys Arryn, the Falcon knight and Andal warlord that had defeated King Robar Royce of Runestone.

Wrong! The wolf snapped its jaws at him and Ned jumped.

"Ned?" Elbert asked. Concern was clear in his voice. Ned looked towards the strange bird and then at the wolf, warily.

"I believe I was just told that you are a First Man, my lord."

The bird that was Elbert tilted its head questioningly.

"Well, my mother was a Belmore," the man said and Ned loved him for simply accepting his words. "You remember them from your studies, I hope?"

"Six silver bells in three, two, one formation on a purple field," Ned recited.

"Their seat?"

"Strongsong."

"Words?"

He hesitated, mind blank.

"'The Bells Toll Loud'," Elbert said warmly. "It was taken from the Battle of the Seven Stars when they were defeated alongside the Royce king against the Falcon Knight. They claim they announced the arrival of the Andal armies with bronze gongs, the mountain valley making the sound echo."

Ned felt very foolish.

Names are words and words are wind. What use is fickle faith? Forgotten traditions? The wolf replied as it prowled behind Ned's back. Only blood matters.

Torrhen Stark met Aegon the Conqueror with his brother, Brandon Snow at his side. The South hid their bastards away as unworthy to be in the presence of kings. But Brandon was there, because trueborn or not, he was a Stark.

Good, the wolf growled softly.

"What brought that on?" Elbert asked.

"We are talking of wolf packs," Ned offered. Elbert grabbed his hand from where it had drifted on the table, turned it palm up and placed a small handful of nuts within. "And I have been reminded that I have much to learn still."

"In your studies? Or…is it…teaching you." He sounded like he didn't know what to make of the latter option.

"Both," Ned answered honestly, sipping at his beer.

Elbert is pack. Ned had no trouble accepting this. Durran Godsgrief was a legendary First Man king. House Durrandon became Baratheon during Aegon's Conquest when Orys Baratheon married the last daughter of the house, Argella. Robert is pack.

Your pack is the living and your enemy is death,
the direwolf intoned with a voice that creaked like rusted hinges and cracked like tree bark. Your ancestors did naught but sever the tips off seeking fingers and built great works in the desperate hope of stemming the insurmountable weight of the ever-approaching tide.

For the first time in a moon, Ned felt cold. You are talking about the Wall.

The Wall,
the wolf sneered. Ned had never heard Brandon the Builder's greatest accomplishment spoken of with such disgust. Mortal cowardice made manifest. For all that death nips at your heels, you are so quick, so eager to turn a blind eye to the truth of your history.

The North Remembers,
Ned thought.

Oh, child, the wolf crooned softly. We watched you forget.

"Lord Elbert?" Ned spoke up, voice shaking. The young knight cursed under his breath as he clutched at Ned's cold hand and Ned did not blame him. "I think the wolf is an old god."

The old gods did not have names.

For names are words and words are wind.

"Of course it is," Elbert replied tiredly. "That's why it wants a Weirwood."

Is it? Ned asked in thought. To see through?

Even as he thought the question, it did not seem right. For it saw him, yet there was no Weirwood around. He felt Elbert drape an arm about his shoulders, pulling him into the taller man's side.

The tree has long since ceased bleeding, the wolf answered bluntly. Do not mistake that for death.

The Moon Door is made of Weirwood, Ned remembered. The Weirwood Throne of the Arryn kings. A corner of his waking dream spun into the High Hall of the Eyrie from on top of the dais, looking down to the carved wooden doors, then it melted away.

You are the most peculiar greenseer we have ever seen. The direwolf sounded almost disturbed and confused. The golden eyed stare was a heavy weight as Ned sharply turned his head towards it, astonished.

Greenseers were legends.

They are servants. You will be made great or we will discard you and find another.

Ned stiffened, but he met its stare. He refused to balk at the old god's cold words. He was a Stark. His way was the Old Way and it was bleak and brutal. In the North, when winters ran long, the whitebeards would leave their families to 'go hunting' so they would have one less mouth to feed. He will not be a millstone around anyone's neck.

Eddard Stark would be great, or he will die trying.

His vision twisted again. A desperate, sad family with a red star or sun sigil pierced by a golden arrow or spear was combing a deep and wide river for the daughter it took and would not give back. They could not see into the water, but for that singular moment, Ned could.

She was not drowning.

The wolf chuffed and its tail thumped the stone. Then a pact we must forge between us, by bronze and stone, sea and sky.

Ice and fire,
Ned completed the phrase.

All is not lost if that yet remains, the wolf yipped, pleased as fleeting images of past and present spun around them both. The silver brought destruction and salvation both. It sniffed contemptuously as it circled on the stone floor of the Great Hall and lay down. We shall not thank it.

The silver?

It is truth and lies in the same being. Past and future inhabit the same space, the same word, the same thought, the wolf explained. Unraveling the symphony into a song of its own making until all doors are open and shut, the observers and the observed one and the same.

I don't understand,
Ned pleaded helplessly, but the wolf closed its eyes.

You will.

"Ned?"

"I am well, Lord Elbert," he replied softly.

Since the wolf, Eddard Stark dreamed while awake.

Robert Baratheon dreamed of the storm.

If you wanted to be poetic.

If you asked him, he was dreaming of his many times great grandmother who happened to be a fucking cunt.

"What
was that, boy?"

"Fuck you!"

Robert sputtered as a wave of sea water crashed over him and his small boat. He lunged for the other side, throwing his weight against it to keep it from rolling over and spilling him into the turbulent dark sea. Lightning lit up the iron bellied clouds boiling furiously above him constantly, followed by claps of thunder. Every time the lightning flashed, he was able to see to the far horizon where the silhouettes of mythical giant sea dragons reared up from the water, chased by the thick, grasping tendrils of what could only be a legendary kraken.

He heaved as the boat steadied, sailing over the swell of a large wave. The shadow of some large creature passing underneath and a small wave splashed over the side to slap his face.

"I am saving your life!"

"No, you're not!"
Robert screamed back into the storm. He shoved his coal black hair out of his eyes, lamenting putting off trimming it until it was too late. He flung out a hand at the endless, troubled ocean and cloud covered sky. "I'm going to die out here!"

"Do you want to?"

"No!"

"Then don't!"
The wind howled back.

Robert rode through another tall wave that broke and crashed over him, forcing him to bail water out by his cupped hands as he coughed out sea water.

"Why me!" He called out.

"Too young! Too rigid! Too old and set in his ways!" The wild laughter of the wind gleefully echoed through the clouds as Robert hung on to his boat for dear life through the waves. He had to beg the crazy bint for it. He'd be dead already if he had to swim. "Am I to let the flame have you?"

As if summoned by her words, a great gout of fire seared across the sky. It split the clouds in twain and the sky beyond it, flipped upside down as if Robert was peering into a mirror was a twisted boneyard of fire.

It was an image straight out of the Seven Hells.

Live volcanoes spewed glowing rock, ash and smoke down at him, molten rivers crisscrossed over blackened, barren land as great ribs and fingers and teeth of bone reached for him and Robert shrunk back from it with a squawk of fear.

The clouds swiftly returned to their place.

"You are mine," the wind growled as thunder. "My daughter's last disappointment!"

"
And you wonder why she ran off to Durran Godsgrief!?" Robert's smart mouth blurted out and the wind snarled. There was a snap! And the ropes holding the pitiful sail of his small boat steady waved free. "Fuck!"

He lunged for the nearest rope before the sail itself flew away, hissing as the wet fiber rubbed his palms raw.

"The storm is approaching, blood of my blood!"

Stomach sinking, Robert looked up and saw the small prow of his pathetic boat was headed right for a dark curtain of rain, the clouds almost black and hanging low as arcs of lightning swept down into the water as great waves the size of castles rose up. He swore as he wrapped the rope around his forearm and clung to the thin mast.

"Sail through it!"

"You cannot be serious!"

The wind laughed.

"You broke my fucking sail!" Robert raged as his boat sailed over a wave and was briefly airborne. When it plunged back down into the sea, water splashed up on either side. "I'll die!"

"Yours is the fury," the wind mocked him, cruel. "Withstand and you will be acknowledged as my son, my legacy."

"I don't want to be your fucking son!" Robert bellowed. He had parents! A kind mother! A proud father! By the gods, he had two brothers now! He had Jon and Elbert and Ned! "I want to go home!"

"What does the wind or sea care for your wants?" Was the sneering reply. "Live or die, your choice."

"That's no choice!" Robert choked out, gripping the wood until his knuckles turned white. He was drenched to the bone, freezing and feverish at the same time as the storm closed in. The waves were huge, two, three men high and vicious.

He was - he was tired.

It felt like he'd been at sea for years. Every inch of him trembled with exhaustion, fear, desperation and rage keeping him awake. If he fell asleep, would he wake for true? Or would it be his end?

This - this had to be the last of it.

It had to be.

The wind spoke again, for the last time before he passed completely into the howling. It sounded almost gentle, soft enough to nearly drown in the clashing of the rain and waves. It sounded as tired as he and a small - tiny, really almost non-existent frisson of pity worked its way into his heart.

"Life or death is the only choice that matters," his grandmother murmured.

Robert wisely didn't reply.

He just held on tight through the storm.

Last edited:
The old order got kicked over like a sandcastle, and since the Song/Prophecy is no longer certain, every player is doing what they can to get back in the game. Like in the days of the First Men.

The reintroduction of magic early on certainly helps, too.

The Wall II
The Wall II

Arthur Dayne took the large wooden bucket of snow from the apothecary owner's comely daughter and thanked her with a confident, appreciative charming smile -

Wait, shit, fuck no -

He dropped the smile quickly, but it was too late. The girl had already dropped into an atrocious half-curtsy, face flushing with a mumbled, "Yer grace" before she turned and escaped with a hopeful bounce to her step. His fellow Kingsguard Oswell Whent sidestepped to let her pass through the tunnel with a polite nod of his head to her and mockingly raised eyebrows to him.

"I do not want to hear it," Arthur hissed, reluctantly stepping back from the door so Oswell could enter the room.

"Are you giving the good people of Mole's Town false impressions of our prince?" As usual, Oswell ignored him with a mean smirk, kicking the door behind them closed with a snow covered armored boot. "As a tall, silver haired - "

"Ashen."

"Purple eyed, lusty - "

Arthur rolled his eyes skyward and headed deeper into the warren-like structure.

"Dornishman!" Oswell called out behind him.

The structure of Mole's Town fascinated Arthur. It reminded him of Planky Town by Sunspear, in the strange way that only seeing a complete and exact opposite of the familiar did. The trading town was built of barges and poleboats and merchant ships lashed together with hempen ropes, planks of wood were used instead of streets and the entire structure floated upon the mouth of the Greenblood river where it spilled into the Narrow Sea.

Mole's Town was largely built underground. The dark, warm tunnels between cellars and vaults served as the streets lit with moss and bark lamps smoldering behind treated wooden cups, turned upside down and slitted to let the light and smoke out. Smaller tunnels had been dug up to the surface at regular intervals to draw the smoke out. The ceilings were low and every inch supported by wooden rafters and pillars with a persistent damp, earthy smell but it protected the smallfolk well from the cold.

This far up North, they've been told that there were days a man could spit and it would freeze before hitting the ground. Arthur believed every word of it.

"If you would kindly cease breaking smallfolk hearts in the prince's name - "

"I smiled!" Arthur snapped defensively as he reached the main common room of the 'tavern,' a round den that branched into shallow tunnels to the 'rooms.' "I am allowed to smile."

"Not like that you aren't," Oswell snorted.

"There is nothing amiss with the way I smile," Arthur insisted, just to be stubborn.

It had been two years since the tournament in Lannisport for Prince Viserys and he still forgot about the white cloak. It wasn't his fault. Rhaegar did his best to ensure little changed from the days when he was just the prince's companion.

"I have a charming smile. Rhaegar has a charming smile." Oswell raised skeptical eyebrows. "He can smile." Arthur set the bucket of snow onto the tavern table with a loud thud and brightly asked, "Can't you, my prince?"

Rhaegar Targaryen glared at the small lit candlestick on the table before him like it had raised its banners in rebellion.

Oswell raised his eyebrows even higher.

Oh, so that's how it is. Arthur scooped a handful of snow out of the bucket and dumped it down the back of the prince's coarse shirt.

The reaction was immediate.

Rhaegar yelped like a kicked pup, hands flying to his back as he jumped out of his seat away from Arthur like he was dodging an assassin's blade, tripped on his travel bag - "WAGHGH!" And both Kingsguard silently watched as the Crown Prince of the Seven Kingdoms flailed in a drunken pirouette trying to regain his lost balance, hit another stool, and fell ass first into the lit hearth with a puff of sparks and ash.

Arthur giggled.

Oswell looked at him. "How have you not been executed yet?"

"I almost had it!" Rhaegar roared as he leapt to his feet and angrily brushed the remaining hot coals off of him.

"Had what?" Oswell asked.

"No, you did not," Arthur said and Rhaegar harrumphed, glaring past him with offense written in every line of his body.

Wordlessly, Arthur retrieved another handful of snow and dropped it on top of the prince's ash covered silver-gilt head. It melted instantly with the hiss of steam, small streams of water drying even as they ran down his face so only a few drops even reached his chin leaving gray trails. Arthur silently repeated the process and raised expectant eyebrows when Rhaegar finally dragged his dark purple eyes to his own violet.

Rhaegar slumped.

"No," the prince admitted miserably. "I did not. You?"

Arthur grimaced.

"Are you two ever going to tell me what the seven hells you're up to?" Oswell spoke up grumpily. "Are we Red priests now, staring at flames?"

As the only one actually dressed like a Kingsguard, the youngest Whent crossing his arms with a scowl on his face and dark eyes narrowed was a proud figure in his all white armor made of enameled scales, silver fastenings and white cloak. The bat helm was a little silly looking, but Arthur could forgive Oswell for his lack of taste.

He was a Riverlander, after all.

Arthur glanced at Rhaegar, a silent question in his eyes. Oswell had joined them at the king's command right before they left Dragonstone. If Arthur felt like being charitable, he would say the second Kingsguard was an assurance for the king that his son and heir would be safe and not that Oswell Whent was a spy in white armor.

Arthur rarely felt like being charitable to the king.

Rhaegar pinched out the candle on the table with a despondent sigh. "If Father's new Master of Whispers has not found out and reported already…"

Oswell's eyes became slits as he dropped his arms to his sides, in easy reach of the sword belted at his hip and shifting his weight in preparation for an attack.

"It is not what you are thinking," Arthur said, deliberately remaining still. "It is about the esoteric, not the political." It was indirectly political, but then everything involving the prince was.

Oswell slowly relaxed as his gaze traveled from Arthur to Rhaegar and then to the candle still letting out a tiny wisp of smoke. "Does it have…anything to do with why the prince spontaneously bursts into flame?"

"Yes," Arthur and Rhaegar said.

"Unrelated to this…dragon we are searching this town for?" Oswell said like he believed not a single word of it.

Arthur Dayne of a year past would have agreed with the sentiment. Dragons were long gone. The Arthur Dayne of now was ready to believe almost anything.

"Entirely unrelated," Rhaegar said firmly as his collar started smoldering.

"Completely," Arthur agreed, motioning towards his own neck and the prince looked down.

Oswell narrowed his eyes suspiciously.

Rhaegar shoved his head into the bucket of snow.

"I am attempting to help him control it," Arthur finally threw his fellow Kingsguard a bone.

"You?" Oswell snorted.

Me.

Arthur stretched out his hands and it was the work of a moment to recall the exact weight and feel of Dawn's hilt in his hands. The way light played off the milky white blade forged from the heart of a fallen star and the simple steel detailing of its crossguard, the black leather of its hilt and the star of its pommel. He had stared at her in its scabbard for numerous nights as a boy. He had dreamed of wielding her. He had trained with her for years since earning his spurs. Killed with her. Sweat and bled with her. Until he no longer even noticed the way she balanced, how long the blade, how heavy the metal. He will die with her and he will never again use another weapon. He knew this blade by heart and his heart twinged.

The ancestral greatsword of house Dayne simply appeared in the palm of Arthur Dayne's hands.

Whent's eyes near fell right out of his skull.

"How?" The knight's voice was strangled. Arthur felt mildly offended and he was not certain if all the offense was his own.

The dragonlord is on fire and no one bats an eye, but gods forbid the Dayne has a magic sword.

Dawn had been with his family before the Valyrian Freehold even rose in the first place!

"I haven't the faintest," Arthur said blandly.

Arthur Dayne had given Dawn's awakening after what everyone was calling the night the Stars Fell not a second thought. Of course she would. Why would it be any other way? After ten thousand years, the miracle that had first seen the star delivered to the Torrentine kings of house Dayne had come again.

Like calls to like.

Then five days later, a raven arrived from Maester Aemon Targaryen at the Wall about a dragon, Rhaegar nearly burned down Dragonstone in his sleep, two Kingsguard, a prince and a lordly heir could swear they saw a sea dragon surfacing on the horizon and Arthur was forced to concede that there might be something else to it.

It did not matter what it was.

He was the Sword of the Morning. Dawn belonged to him and he to her.

The sword purred as a gentle, rumbling sensation in his chest.

"Dawn is also why I can no longer wear my armor," Arthur announced.

Ser Oswell Whent, the Bat of Harrenhall seemed as though he would rather walk off a short pier and drown than to ask, "What does the sword have to do with you not wearing armor?"

"She is a very prideful lady." Arthur then frowned. "You were there for that argument."

Oswell's eyes bulged incredulously.

"I was - you cannot mean -" Whent struggled with the words. "There was no argument," he said slowly, as if talking to a dim witted child. "You stared at the sword, yelled and then said it bit you."

And it had fucking hurt.

Arthur had tried to convince the blade that armor was important. Dawn was of the (biting) opinion that the Sword of the Morning was a fucking craven who needed to stop his whinging and start not getting hit.

The mail shirt and gambeson he was wearing under the unfortunate black surcoat decorated with the Targaryen red three headed dragon was a compromise.

"I was communing with the blade."

"You were just staring at it - "

"What did you think I was doing?" Arthur had to know. "Some odd Dornish custom?"

"I thought you were trying to avoid being seasick!"

Rhaegar straightened his back, taking the bucket with him. With a loud hissing noise the rest of the cold water was dumped all over himself and the cheap black clothing they had bought from Eastwatch-by-the Sea so the prince wouldn't have to leave the boat looking like a drowned rat.

Or buck naked.

By the time Arthur and Dawn had their spat and he realized that wearing his customary Kingsguard armor into battle was just going to get him, and by extension Rhaegar, killed they were already a sennight out from Dragonstone on open water. Deprived of his customary armor, Arthur had suddenly gained a mighty need for regular clothing so he wouldn't freeze to death in the North and the heir to Driftmark, Monford Velaryon had gained an almost violent preference for Rhaegar to wear as few dry clothes as possible.

So that his ship wouldn't catch fire and they all drown.

Arthur Dayne liked living.

Luckily for the Kingsguard, so did Rhaegar.

At any other time, Arthur would have said that forcing the prince of the realm to sleep in a puddle of seawater on the top deck was undignified and probably some form of treason.

However, Rhaegar was still setting his sheets on fire like a boy wetting the bed.

It had been just hours and his clothes were already burned through with several holes making him look more beggar than black brother. Arthur was almost getting used to being called 'Your Grace' over the prince in his borrowed clothes. Said prince sighed in relief as he steamed, standing there for a few moments more with the bucket over his head.

"Any other questions?" Arthur confidently swung the too-light Dawn over his shoulder…

…and it sheared right through the ceiling rafters like a hot knife through butter, showering both him and Rhaegar in wood chips and dust. The greatsword's amusement pulsed in his chest as Rhaegar peeled the bucket off and patted out the fires that ignited on him. Arthur knew exactly how long the blade was, thank you.

That did not mean he remembered how low the rafters were.

Oswell Whent palmed his face.

"Madness," he mumbled, despairing. "Utter. Madness."

"That may be so," Rhaegar said with a clipped tone. Since the Defiance of Duskendale, the word 'madness' has taken on a new meaning for the prince. "But it cannot be denied. Swim with the tide or drown in it."

Arthur nodded appreciatively. "Well said."

Oswell's face twisted, but he said nothing.

"Now, did you have any news, ser?" Rhaegar asked as he checked his shirt for any missed embers.

"Mere rumors." Oswell snorted as he dragged his hand over his round face. "The dragon is white, it's silver, it glows, it's transparent, it's living, it's carved from ice…" He waved a hand as if swatting away a buzzing fly. "If it were not for the fact that most believe the beast exists I would have thought us chasing tales."

"Odd," Rhaegar said slowly, frowning. "The Lord Commander gave the impression that it visited Mole's Town regularly."

"For what?" Oswell asked. "Kill livestock that hasn't already been slaughtered for winter? Which is none. Terrorize the clearly unafraid smallfolk? Burn down - "

"It is an ice dragon," Arthur said.

"Oh shove off with that." Oswell rolled his eyes. "There's a flying beast to be sure, but I would bet ten gold dragons on it being some thought extinct large white bird of the North."

"Maester Aemon believes it a dragon and he is of my blood, my house," Rhaegar spoke firmly. "We have had correspondence before this discussing our history. If he says it is a dragon, then it is a dragon."

"The Watch did strike me as perhaps too circumspect regarding its whereabouts," Arthur noted grimly. And he much misliked the grin he had seen on the First Ranger Brenn Flint's face. "If the beast has recovered enough to fly, yet is unchained, why does it remain?"

"You think it bonded?" Rhaegar's eyebrows rose. "To whom?"

"It is obvious enough that the brothel here is frequented by black brothers." Arthur didn't even have to guess from the conspicuously empty tavern they were occupying either and its surely very, very busy tavern keeper. He knew men and he had eyes. "Just as there are dragonseeds on Dragonstone, Targaryen blood has made its way to the Wall."

Rhaegar started. "Uncle Aemon would never - "

"The Great Bastard of Aegon the Unworthy, Bryden Rivers," Oswell said flatly. "He was sent to the Wall for kinslaying and breaking guest right, what is oathbreaking and desertion to that?"

"And any other house that has received marriages. The current Lord Commander is of a house that has received a Martell daughter after the unification," Arthur recalled and Rhaegar's expression darkened.

"I see." The prince's voice was as iron. "I believe I am owed more thorough answers from Desmond Qorgyle. If it is duplicity, the Watch may resist."

"My place is at your side, my prince," Arthur said. He had seen the quality of their fighters and their arms. It made no difference if Arthur had to raise Dawn against one man, or hundreds in nothing but a mail shirt. It was not arrogance.

"As is mine," Oswell Whent said sharply.

"Then we go now," Rhaegar ordered.

For the Sword of the Morning, one man or hundreds would make no difference.

Unfortunately, a dragon was no man.

A prince and two Kingsguard came across a dancing woman on the way to the Wall.

Arthur was aware that sounded like the beginning to some bawdy jape and the way Rhaegar near twisted his head off taking a second look as his horse rode past did nothing to help. Arthur was also a hypocrite, as he had done the exact same thing.

Mostly in surprise.

His younger sister Ashara was nearing six and ten and was already being hailed as one of the greatest beauties of the realm. It was a title Arthur felt was wholly deserved and here, at the ass end of the world at the Wall was a competing smallfolk woman in rough clothes doing who knows what in the snow. Arthur had blinked once to be certain he was not seeing things, then she was falling behind them and he was not about to stare after a woman like some green boy whose balls just dropped.

He thought that was the end of it, until Rhaegar slowed his borrowed mount to a brisk canter, then a trot and then a complete stop in the middle of the narrow beaten path through the piles of snow that on occasion nearly surpassed his height on a horse.

"My prince?" Arthur stopped beside his horse beside him.

The prince's face was set in an expression of grim realization as he wrestled with his restless horse. "Her hair was silver."

"What - " Arthur stopped.

The blood of Old Valyria was infamous for their silver-gold locks. Some, like Jaehaerys the Conciliator, had hair mostly of gold shot through with silver. Rhaegar himself took after his mother Rhaella in being silver-gilt with his much younger brother Viserys being more of an even mix like his father.

It could be a coincidence. There were many across the Narrow Sea with the look and Eastwatch-by-the-sea traded with Braavos. His arrogant cousin Gerold Dayne had hair of silver with a dragon streak of black in the center and Arthur's own ashen blond could be mistaken in the right light.

The dragon made coincidences unlikely.

Dragonseed.

Rhaegar slid off his horse and the animal steadied once his heat was no longer upon it. "We are not too far from the Wall and the snow is deep. They will not wander far," the prince murmured. "If we are mistaken, we can be on our way. If the dragon is at her command…"

Being thrown off their horses was the least of their worries.

Oswell's face was twisted up like a man struggling on the privy, but he got off his horse as well.

Their grim procession had a minor setback when Rhaegar caught fire again and had to throw himself into a snowbank to save his breeches, but they returned to the peculiarity soon enough.

And she was a peculiarity.

Oswell was draped in furs over his armor and Arthur was no different. The winter winds this far north were cutting. He had to check once or twice since undocking at the Wall that the cold sting he felt wasn't an actual bleeding wound on his face. He did not want to imagine what the North felt like if Rhaegar hadn't been radiating heat like a blacksmith's forge.

The dragonseed woman did not seem to be properly appreciating the fact that it was fucking cold.

She was also, as he noticed before, dancing.

With carefully performed twirls and everything.

"The woman's mad," Oswell muttered.

His prince stepped forward. "I am Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and I would speak with you, good woman."

The response was a raised hand in the clear 'hold' gesture as she turned, looking down and clearly focused on the placement of her feet and Oswell bristled.

"And disrespectful - Arthur!" Oswell bumped into the outstretched arm stopping the Kingsguard from taking the matter in hand.

"Dawn is scared," Arthur murmured, eyes narrowed.

"...your sword."

The Kingsroad from the Wall straight through the heart of the North was covered in snow save for the narrow beaten path two horses wide. There was nothing else around them for miles and yet Arthur's chest was tight with a borrowed tension, as if an ambush lied in wait beneath the snow.

"Yes, my sword," Arthur said sharply. "Be on your guard."

Dawn was terrified.

"That is a full step inner placement, not a half step," Rhaegar tried again and the woman paused, having clearly heard him.

She reversed her movements and then ran through the steps, clearly applying the prince's correction. Arthur realized he knew the dance from court, as strange as it was watching it performed without a partner, but she held her arms up as if there was one. She ran through the same sequence thrice more with unsettling precision before moving on. Rhaegar called out two more corrections, seemingly happy to play along.

Arthur stood at his side with his heart in his throat, not understanding as a rope in his chest wound tighter and tighter.

The dance completed, the woman's arms dropped and she turned to face them. Up close, the woman certainly looked the part of a dragonlord, reminding him greatly of Rhaella Targaryen when he had first come to court over ten years ago. A striking, ageless beautiful figure that could get away with wearing a flour bag and still look a queen and she almost actually was in a flour bag with a coarse loose brown shirt, men's trousers and boots. The only luxury was the fur of a white fox about her collar and shirt seam where it closed in the front.

Her deep, dark eyes of blue or purple reminded Arthur of Rhaella Targaryen currently.

Sad.

Arthur will only admit under duress that he had been anticipating the dragon to then come swooping down from the clouds on the attack and that was the reason he jumped near clean out of his boots when she simply said,

"Thank you, your grace."

Arthur saw the questioning, amused look Rhaegar directed at him and he was determined to ignore it.

"You are very welcome," the prince replied politely. Rhaegar put on a charming smile - see, Oswell! The Bat rolled his eyes upwards. "May I have your name?"

"You may," she said with a nod. Oswell bristled again at the slight imperious tone in her throaty voice. Arthur might have as well, if the woman's mere existence wasn't still scaring Dawn half to death. "I am Terendelev."

What kind of name is that?

Rhaegar leaned forward, lighting up the same way he always did around a new book or scroll. "As in Xorandelev or Teretharon of Valyria?"

A Valyrian one. That explains it.

"Your kinsman on the Wall made the same connection," she replied with an admittedly fetching smile revealing straight white teeth. That was when Arthur realized the complete lack of the Northern burr. She had a highborn Crownlands accent. "It is my name and I know no other."

"You were named after dragons," Rhaegar mused and Arthur almost groaned. If Rhaegar was letting his curiosity override his sense, then he was at least a little smitten already and it always happened at the worst fucking times.

The prince's words were followed by Terendelev's charming light laugh.

"Of course I was." Her eyes danced with mirth. "For I am one."

"No - I meant, the - dragons that breathe fire - of the Freehold…" Rhaegar stumbled through, flustered and Arthur felt no pity. The only Dayne he knew that went around calling themselves a star was his idiot cousin. Why various noble houses of the realm put on airs like they really were lions, birds or dragons in human form was beyond him.

"Not members of my house…acknowledged or…otherwise - "

"Elegantly done," Arthur muttered under his breath and Rhaegar glared at him.

Terendelev nodded in return. "I am aware, yet I am still a dragon."

All three of them blinked in unison.

"I beg your pardon?" Rhaegar blurted out.

She tilted her head to the side in an oddly avian gesture. "I am a dragon."

The words did not make any more sense the second time.

"Rrrrraagh! Why are we entertaining this nonsense!?" Oswell was just about vibrating out of his armor as he stomped forward, hand on the hilt of his sword and for a moment, the look in the woman's eyes seemed as though she was ready to eat him. "My prince! This is clearly just a madwoman - "

It happened so quickly.

Her eyes lit up with a silver glow as she threw her head back and then Arthur was blinded by a radiant flash. A shockwave of rushing wind and cold blew him clear off his feet as if he'd been kicked by a mule. It felt like he had been when he finally landed in deep snow, wheezing and had to scramble to his feet, calling for Dawn out of its scabbard and then freezing as the shadow fell over them.

The dragon was before them.

The image burned itself into Arthur's mind. It was silver and gleaming, horned head and broad wings reaching for the cloudless blue sky, the bleeding star high above them, as tall as the Palestone Sword tower of Starfall. There was a moment of quiet nothing, still, and then the upper body fell back to the earth with a weight he could feel rumble through the ground beneath his feet and thud in his chest and ears. Its breathing sounded like the great gusts of giant bellows with a bird-like clicking as its head twisted sinuously on the serpentine neck so it could lean closer, so that the molten silver reptile eye was directly facing them. Arthur could see the reflections of himself half-standing with Dawn in one hand, Rhaegar on all fours staring and sprawled out on his ass Oswell in the dark pupil.

"I am -" was a booming sound from the beast's mouth to Arthur's pure shock. There was a grinding sound like ice floes crashing into each other. The beast's shoulders were hitching and he realized with horror that it was laughing. " - a mad dragon."

Vapor glittering with ice shards puffed out of nostrils bigger than his head.

"My apologies, your grace," Arthur's mouth said reflexively. "Forgive us, your grace."

Fuck, shit, damn it to the Seven Hells -

There was another painful clashing rumble of icy laughter. There were flashes of teeth the length of longswords in its mouth. Arthur grimly raised Dawn, preparing himself to buy the prince time to flee when the dragon's head retreated.

"Apology… " Arthur's heart stopped. "Accepted."

It raised its mighty wings and Arthur was knocked over once more by the powerful gust of wind it generated as it launched itself into the air. He hastened to stand, but there was no need for his sword, for it was retreating towards the Wall. The weak sun flashed off its scales bright enough to hurt. He lowered Dawn and he was not certain if the relief making his hands tremble was from him, or her.

"My prince, are you well?" There was no response and Arthur sharply turned, stricken. "Rhaegar?"

His friend was staring after the creature, even as it disappeared over the ice edge of Brandon the Builder's great accomplishment. He did not move, still as a statue.

"She was a dragon," Rhaegar breathed. His dark purple eyes shone with absolute wonder. And a lot of other emotions that Arthur was not prepared to think about right now. If the hopelessly giddy smile the prince had on meant what Arthur thought it meant, the realm was very fortunate that Jon Connington could not, in fact, turn into a dragon for his 'silver prince.'

Arthur thought about pointing out they had almost just died, but knew it wouldn't change anything.

You could not have told me we were talking to a dragon?

Dawn felt indignant.

She was right.

Arthur still did not believe that had just happened. It felt like he had just woken from a dream.

"...are we going after it?"

Rhaegar startled as if stung. "Yes!"

Arthur nodded. "A moment then, my prince," he said as Rhaegar got to his feet, looking ready to sprout wings himself. "Ser Whent still needs to recover as I believe he just pissed himself."

"I - fuck you, I - I did not - "

"You also owe us both ten gold dragons."

Desmond Qorgyle looked much like Arthur remembered, but older, thinner, harder. Grey was streaking back from his temples among his dark hair and there were shadows under his dark eyes. The black was present, but the red of his house was completely missing. The only thing left he could see was the man still wore a blackened steel scorpion pendant. He idly wondered if the man remembered the boy Arthur had been back, or if the only person standing in his solar before him with the prince was the Sword of the Morning.

After a long moment, Lord Commander Qorgyle lowered the parchment in his hands. "And the Iron Throne is willing to honor this?"

"Dragonstone is," Rhaegar replied evenly. "And I am its lord."

Arthur curled his toes and relaxed them as he stood silently behind the prince's right shoulder. The admission that Rhaegar was purposefully omitting his father from the deal tasted stale, but Arthur was convinced of its necessity. The Night's Watch was neutral, to be sure.

Arthur was also certain it would be prudent not to test that neutrality.

"Why?" Qorgyle asked with calm, calculating eyes. "I assume it has proven unable to be claimed and ridden - " Arthur snorted. "As the old Targaryen mounts," Qorglye finished dryly with resigned amusement. "Boy, I have heard every ribald jest and jape in history about riding dragons by now and so has it."

That sounded ominous. "And the Wall still stands?"

"You know, I tried to have it poisoned?" The man admitted, bold as brass. "It marched in here with the cup and just stared at me, slowly pouring it out on my floor until I nearly pissed myself. Then it laughed." The Lord Commander's look was one of long suffering. "It has a cruel sense of humor."

Yes, it does.

"And don't get me started on the whores - "

The what now?

"Be that as it may," Rhaegar interrupted stiffly with reddened ears. "The knowledge of her existence and general location alone is worth the price and I am willing to pay it."

Arthur had argued against it as soon as the belated attack of nerves had passed. There was no guarantee he would succeed in earning the beast's loyalty at all now and the prince would be far better served putting the wealth of his seat towards more certain ventures. His kinsman Maester Aemon could keep him informed and make overtures on his behalf. He could not afford to empty his pockets like this, not now when he had barely just begun to prepare for his father's removal from the throne.

His words fell on deaf ears.

Rhaegar had left Dragonstone with two Kingsguard and a young heir's ship. No other guards, staff or even more ships to ward against the pirates known to prowl the Narrow Seas for goods or slaves. Winter storms on the sea were known to be harsh and frequent. He seemed convinced that they would arrive at the Wall before the bleeding star finally fell from the sky and that it would be the start of…

Something.

They had arrived after being at sea for a moon, as he foretold, and it was clear that there was a change in the world. The dragon had been found. It still left Arthur uneasy.

Qorgyle gazed at the prince for a moment more and then shrugged. "It is your money." He rolled the parchment up detailing the permission for release of funds and placed it aside. "It intends to travel into the far North soon," he said. "Don't say a fucking word to my First Ranger and it likes reading. Now get out before you set my drapes on fire."

Rhaegar inclined his head politely in contrast to the rude dismissal.

Oswell relaxed from his guard position by the door and fell into step at the prince's other side as they traveled down the floors of the Lord Commander's Tower. As far as Arthur could tell, it was much like the White Sword Tower of the Kingsguard. The top two floors were reserved for the Lord Commander of the order, but the rest of the tower served as living spaces for other members including a common room and undercroft.

Rhaegar waved down a black brother. "Would you be able to direct me to the library, ser?"

The thin boy bobbed his head rapidly, the way Arthur had known some lizards in Dorne to do. His eyes swung between the two of them in confusion until Arthur discretely jabbed his thumb at Rhaegar. "Yesser, yer Grace. In th' tunnels."

Rhaegar was an avid reader, but Arthur knew the last thing on his mind were some dusty scrolls.

Oswell made a face as they descended into the undercellars of the tower. "Is everything under ground?"

"You like snow?" Their guide said bluntly.

"How deep does it get?" Rhaegar asked in polite interest.

"Eight - ten men high."

Forty fucking feet!?

All three of them blanched.

"We are not staying," Oswell pleaded.

Rhaegar grimaced and Arthur knew the answer.

If the dragon went beyond the Wall, the prince was going after it.

Which meant Arthur was going after it.

Dawn felt…apprehensive about the notion, but her reasons escaped him. Arthur would not liken the mind that brushed his own, or the heart that beat in tandem to belong to a child. The blade had senses and sensations of her own. He had felt her curiosity about the North, so very different from the open sea or the dark, hard beauty of the volcanic island of Dragonstone.

Ignorant, yes, but not innocent.

The greatsword of house Dayne had ten thousand years of history. He could feel it as a deep still pool of water. The depth of his understanding was tapping the surface and watching the ripples spread.

Few locations or artifacts could match Dawn's history.

The Wall came close.

Arthur pursed his lips thoughtfully. The dragon scared her, that was plain to see. The dragon came from the far North and it intended to go back. Dawn did not want to follow it. What was up there?

And you called me craven.

Instead of indignation, Dawn's response to the tease was a pulse of dark amusement. Arthur was not sure if there was a worse reply he could have gotten.

"Here'un." The young black brother gestured towards thick, heavy looking vault doors that were cracked open. "Library."

"Thank you, ser." Rhaegar's eyes flashed to him and Arthur fished out a silver stag from the prince's coin purse for the boy, who flushed in gratitude.

"Thank youser, grace." The boy bowed and rushed off, clutching his stag to his chest.

Arthur watched despondently as Rhaegar hesitated, took a step forward, then fell back, puffed out his chest, deflated, ran a hand through his hair, put out some embers on his elbow and then frowned down at the rest of his tattered clothes as if just realizing what he was wearing.

"...it's a library?" Oswell spoke up, watching their prince with blatant confusion. "My prince, we can fetch and read the requested material for you…?"

"It might not even be in there, your grace," Arthur hoped.

"It?" Oswell asked. The older knight's head swiveled between Arthur's grimace and Rhaegar's embarrassed glower. Then his round face went blank and Arthur knew he had finally caught on.

"No."

He sounded horrified.

"Have a care not to command me, ser," Rhaegar said in that clipped tone and Oswell winced.

"My prince, I simply fear you are getting ahead of yourself," his fellow Kingsguard tried. "What do we really know about the creature? You cannot mean to present it to court like a lady - "

"Why not?" Rhaegar interrupted.

Arthur would say 'dragon' but that was precisely the problem.

"She sounds as one. Looks as one." And how. Arthur still thought it was a bad idea, but he was also not blind. "She is - " Rhaegar huffed in confused amusement. "Plainly making the effort to learn courtly dances."

I haven't the faintest about that one either.

Oswell Whent's mouth worked for a moment. It was clear the Riverlander had never anticipated having to actually argue with his prince against courting an animal. Jest's on him, Valyrians simply did not think like normal people.

"It is a convincing guise, your grace," Oswell croaked in a strangled voice. "However, children do not hatch from eggs."

Rhaegar's mouth opened and then he closed it, pausing. A thoughtful frown overtook his face, furrowing his brow deeply.

"You are correct, ser." He spoke after some deep thought. "If she is infertile, then the point is moot."

Arthur felt an overwhelming sense of relief that lasted just as long as it took for the prince to nod to himself with a renewed sense of determination.

"I will ask."

Then Rhaegar turned on his heel and strode towards the vault doors leading into the library.

Arthur stood there. He slowly slid his gaze to the left to look at Oswell. Whent's mud-brown eyes moved right to meet his in a silent moment of mutually bewildered, did he just - ?

Damn, shit, no -

"Prince Rhaegar, wait!"

Rhaegar! Embrace The Bard Path!
Rhaegar is canonically good with a lute, right?

This greatly reminds me about Red Glave by Pridakarbiter, it is amazing

Back