Return of Dunbine: Aura Battler Dunbine AH Analysis and Fan Sequel Project

This is thread was made to analyze alternate history and develop a fan "sequel" for the original series of Aura Battler Dunbine. I respectably call this project "The Return of Dunbine."

For those who don't know, Aura Battler Dunbine is a mecha anime made by Yoshiyoki Tomino of Gundam fame. The setting is 1980s Earth but with an alternate world called Byston Well, a land "in between the sea and shore" where souls from our world, a.k.a. Upper Earth, go in a cycle of reincarnation. In this alternate world exists Aura, which is comparable to one's spiritual power, which is amplified by powerful weapons called Aura Machines.

At the end of the series, two armies of these Aura Machines were expelled from Byston Well and waged war across Upper Earth with its military forces caught in the center. The war ended with both armies disappearing with one survivor was found, and she disappeared days later, never to be seen again.

Well, recently, I've been proposing a project I call The Return of Dunbine. Currently, my goals are: 1) to analyze the full events of the war on Upper Earth from the original series, 2) determine the alternate history within the next 13-14 years while exploring the consequences, and 3) generate ideas and write a fan sequel that occurs after the intermission period, which sparks a new conflict with Aura Machines appearing once more.

This project does not require people to know Dunbine; it's a cult classic, so I doubt many will really know it. However, I'm more desperately looking for those who have deep knowledge of history, politics, and such during the late stages of the Cold War and the contemporary world. That should help things move along by a ton.

Either way, hope this ends up fun. I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Last edited:
Back