Restoring/Recolonizing a devastated planet

Pronouns
He/Hom
An interstellar conflict erupts which results in the home planet of one faction being completely decimated. (Use the impact in this impact simulation as a reference for the scope of the destruction, in terms of energy released.)

Assuming the inhabitants have off-world colonies, and the desire to restore their planet; could the world be restored and repopulated within 1,000-5,000 years?

(Also, I apologise if this is the wrong place for this. I'm new.)

An interstellar conflict erupts which results in the home planet of one faction being completely decimated. (Use the impact in this impact simulation as a reference for the scope of the destruction, in terms of energy released.)

Assuming the inhabitants have off-world colonies, and the desire to restore their planet; could the world be restored and repopulated within 1,000-5,000 years?

(Also, I apologise if this is the wrong place for this. I'm new.)

Ehhh... I suppose it depends on how much terraforming tech and resources the faction has to throw at the project, and how fertile/adaptive the species is. But my gut instinct is that there's no way you're going to just undo something getting your planet turned into flaming popcorn like that. Not in 5,000 years.

That giant wall of flames and lava set everything on fire. The biosphere is gone. The oceans look... pretty gone, like they oceans were vaporized and turned to steam or something. That giant wound in the planet where the impact happened has got to be spewing out CO2, sulfur, and all sorts of other stuff like nobodys business and with all the photosynthetic plants incinerated, boiled, or otherwise wiped out the instantaneous change in climate, I don't see the plants being able to restore a nitrogen/oxygen mix on their own. I'm pretty sure the atmospheric mix of the planet would be suddenly changed to something like what the Earth was like when it was origionally cooling down millenia before the first photosynthetic life started showing up.

As for recolonization? Again, it kind of depends on what level of tech the faction has but unless they have access to self-replicating machines that can basically turn the molted hellscape into a machine world... and then selectively alter the terrain, atmosphere, and climate to turn it into a normal planet again and grow a whole new set of trees, soil microbes, plants, animals, fish, polinating insects, etc to give the planet a new biosphere... it's not going to happen. That impact killed the whole planet and trashed the biosphere. You either get a new planet or make a new one out of the wreckage of the old one. This also assumes you have samples of all the necessary life forms and microbes to make a self-sustaining biosphere again.

As for repopulating the planet? Eh, probably though I don't think they should. I'm sure if they have the tech to rebuild a planet, they'd have the tech to build a bunch of sealed environments on the surface to grow food and house people. So if they really wanted to they could have people living in bunkers of bubble domes while they watch the robots outside transform the burning twisted hellscape outside. On the other hand, they have definitive proof that civiliations can go to war and use weapons that wreck planets. The smarter thing to do would be to avoid being on a planet and just stick to spacefaring habitats or ships that are harder to hit with WMDs.

Soo yeah. It depends. But my gut instinct is that anyone with the resources to rebuild a planet after something like that probably wouldn't want to live on it again. They might invest resources into rebuilding it, or at least have some robots on the surface replicating and spreading to rebuild it or salvage things of historical significance, but the majority of people are going to avoid actually living on it again. They might rebuild it as something like a nature preserve or a place of historical significance with museums or tourist places... but they probably don't want massive number of people living on it (so there's fewer people to evacuate if another WMD heads to the planet), or they just avoid putting any major infrastructure there that would invite another attack. They keep all their military shipyards and command centers spread out in space instead of on big juicy smash-able planets.

That giant wall of flames and lava set everything on fire. The biosphere is gone. The oceans look... pretty gone, like they oceans were vaporized and turned to steam or something. That giant wound in the planet where the impact happened has got to be spewing out CO2, sulfur, and all sorts of other stuff like nobodys business and with all the photosynthetic plants incinerated, boiled, or otherwise wiped out the instantaneous change in climate, I don't see the plants being able to restore a nitrogen/oxygen mix on their own. I'm pretty sure the atmospheric mix of the planet would be suddenly changed to something like what the Earth was like when it was origionally cooling down millenia before the first photosynthetic life started showing up.
A rock vapor atmosphere, followed by one of mostly CO2; this seems to return the planet to the conditions of the Hadean period.

Part of the ancient planet is theorized to have been disrupted by the impact that created the Moon, which should have caused melting of one or two large regions of the Earth. Earth's present composition suggests that there was not complete remelting as it is difficult to completely melt and mix huge rock masses.[14] However, a fair fraction of material should have been vaporized by this impact, creating a rock vapor atmosphere around the young planet. The rock vapor would have condensed within two thousand years, leaving behind hot volatiles which probably resulted in a heavy CO
atmosphere with hydrogen and water vapor.

Disregard terraformation, go full body borg and enjoy hot heavy metal showers while high fiving each other.

With a disaster on the scale of the one depicted in the video, where there appears to be extensive melting of the surface rock and extensive evaporation of the oceans? In the short-term an event like that will likely create runaway greenhouse conditions; all that water vapor will trap heat, which will cause even more water to evaporate and so on until the oceans are completely dry and the planet now has a massive atmosphere of mostly water vapor (the heat and gasses released by the impact will make this process even more likely). Conditions on the surface at the end of that process would be somewhat like Venus (very hot, immense pressure), but even worse. Maybe eventually the planet would cool enough for the oceans to re-condense, but I suspect it'd take a long time (as in, maybe millions of years). With Sufficiently Advanced technology people might be able to make the planet Earth-like again, but it'd probably be easier to terraform any of a large number of previously non-Earthlike worlds.

Now, if the disaster was somewhat less bad, say about the same scale as the KT impact, re-terraforming would be much more feasible. If the disaster was about the same scale as the KT impact people could probably start re-settling the planet in a few years, as soon as the dust and sulfur aerosols had settled out the atmosphere; re-terraforming would be mostly a matter of re-introducing various plants and animals.

Last edited:
I imagine step one is solar shading the thing to hell and back and trying to freeze the planet over (Well you probably don't need to keep going after a while, but lava to rock and water vapor to liquid or ice seem necessary and count as freezing) with that much heat in the atmosphere? Not sure how long that'd take, I'd need to look at the Isaac Arthur video on terraforming Venus to remember the rough ballpark, but I think Earth would take longer due to tidal heating and geological activity?

Restoring the planet means the large-scale terraforming. Rendering Venus habitable seems simpler.

A general plan looks easy on paper. A solar shade cools down the planet. The drainage of the greenhouse gases speeds up the process. [1], [2]

But the planet hasn't reached a stable point, and won't in thousands of years. It may lead to unexpected results, so the details matter a lot.

A volcanic activity may significantly slow down the terraforming. Disregarding it, the time estimate is in several thousand years for Venus [3]. For the post-impact planet it will be higher.

Here is an impact calculator, if you want to scale down effects. It greatly simplifies understanding.

Back