Quiet Rabbit's Taboo (OC Story) (Batman And Eventual DC Universe: Adjusted to Taste)

Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

There's ghosts in Gotham.

Don't worry. There's ghosts everywhere; just a fair bit more in this town. The dead can do no worse to the living, leastways worse than what the living already do to one another. There's not much of a difference in the end.

Bound by desire, chained by regret, chasing after chance after chance until all is lost. That's how folks tend to run around in this town until they're dead and then just a bit more. Things break here, broken things come here, but it's a place to be at least for the least of the world, here in Gotham. Many gamble here, their chances worse and worsening by the moment, but folks wouldn't have come here if they weren't already at their worst there on the outside.

Gotham's doesn't care though. She accepts all, after all.

But there's a bunny that's come; returned from hell, I hear, and given the rarest of things, a second chance. She hears the silence of the silent and roams about, quiet as taboo. She gives the dead the hope to speak, the living a chance to listen, but she's found ways to say less with more, so you've got to be real clever and just a little lucky to figure out what she means. if you're real lucky, she'll do what the Bat often won't and hush the worst of the worst.

But she's a softie, that bunny, so don't count on it much. It's rare when it happens.

Just… Watch out for the Rabbit. Don't both listening though. You'll never hear her coming.
[Reception of the Rabbit] Issue 1: The First Meal to Break the Fast Is One to Cherish
"Sorry about this. I'll try and be better next time."

My voice was scratchy, rough from disuse. A bit embarrassing, but I haven't needed it in… months? Months sound about right. I've gotten too used to never needing to talk, but I'm looking forward to needing to again. There's a lot of things that I haven't needed in a long time that I'm looking forward to.

Like a BatBurger™ . I haven't had a chance to have shitty junk food in forever. It's always just been fighting and surviving, and I am so looking forward to a good, greasy burger. Granted, meat is forever forbidden to me now, but I've had the Poison Ivy Delusion © before, and it tastes just like the original.

I'm probably going to throw up or shit myself when whatever suspicious chemical additive that makes the vegan burger tastes so good wrecks my stomach, but it'll be so worth it. First meal back in the realm of the living, and it's only fitting for it to be a BatBurger™

Pausing in my count, I sighed when I realized that my fantasizing had caused me to lose track of my change. Gathering up all the coins, I shook my head ruefully. "Again, I'm so sorry about this. I don't have real money."

It had been hard, scrounging around the laundromats and vending machines, but I had enough for one burger. I wish I could have Jokerized it, but that was an additional two dollars, and I just wanted food. I wanted to have something in my mouth that didn't taste of raw flesh or metallic blood

Dressed in the crappy, gimmicky bat-cowl that every restaurant provided, the cash register fidgeted in a move that completely betrayed the Bat he was supposed to portray., "I-it's fine. You can just take the food and go. You can take the money too!"

Tempting offer, but no. Why is he so scared of me? If anything, he should be annoyed with me. I'd be annoyed if I had to wait for someone to count for enough change.

…Unless he's not scared of me. He's scared of what's behind me.

Looking past the cashier, I used the distorted reflections in the metal counters of the kitchen to check what was behind me and confirmed my fear. It was big; it was black; it was the gods damned Batman looming behind me.

This was profiling, I tell ya. Just because I'm an alley kid, just because I'm bunnygirl back from the dead doesn't mean I'm going to do fucked shit. I'm not some costumed creep, looking to make a quick buck or fuck shit up because they're fucked in the head. I just want a burger. A vegan burger becauseI can't even eat meat properly because I'm a gods damned bunny girl now. You don't see me complaining though because I have healthy coping mechanisms. I bury it deep, and I just try to make the best of things. I'm keeping my shit to myself, for myself, and I'm not flinging it all over the place like the rest of the loonies of Arkham.

More folks should be like me, and holy shit, I'm about to get my shit wrecked by the Bat. Ugh, I don't want to get my shit wrecked by anyone. I literally escaped the Beast Realm to stop getting my shit wrecked by everyone.

Good thing I also knew hot to not get my shit wrecked.

"POCKET CHANGE!" I yelled as I whirled, throwing my heard-earned coins at the Batman, aiming specifically at his face. Even monsters need their eyes to see and metal hurts when it's in your face.

Unfortunately, the fucker didn't even flinch, but he was distracted long enough for me to jump up and over, using the back of his head as a springboard to launch out of the restaurant. I felt mildly regretful over breaking the windows, but between a bout with the Bat and broken windows, I choose life and freedom and whole and unbroken bones.

First rule of the Beast Realm! Running is always an option! Also distraction, but mostly running.

Dashing into the alleyway, I hopped up against the walls, quickly scrambling up, making sure to cloak my movement in [黙]. With a final flip for fanciness, I landed on the roof, crouched. Blessed be magic for the bullshit that is easy sneaking.

…That still left the problem that I didn't have the burger.

Creeping back, I cautiously peered over the ledge back at BatBurger. People were surrounding the outside, snapping photos from what they thought was a safe distance and what I thought was a suicidal distance. Either way, all that attention meant the Bat was still inside and… did I even pay?

No. I was still counting the coins. The coins that I just used as a distraction. Which meant I had no coins. Which meant I couldn't pay.

I just wanted a burger, damn it.

First day back from hell, universe. Mercy upon this stupid soul, but please let me have a gods damned burger.

Glaring angrily at the BatBurger™ restaurant, trying to channel my annoyance past the barriers towards my target, a medley of primary colors caught my eye. Red, yellow, and green heralds the advent of the Robin.

Oh, damn, it's the one with pants. I wonder if he remembers me? He wouldn't recognize me now, what with the whole being a bunny fursona thing, but it'd be nice if he remembered the old me. I remember him being nice like the old Robin. Bit more posh and he was absolutely a Bristol brat with his accent, but I couldn't hate him for that. While I'll always miss the Robin that came the same Alley that I had, this one was pretty nice too. He scrapped like the best of us, and well… If I was honest, he was kind of a bleeding heart with how easy it was to get freebies from him.

…Maybe if I act cute I could still get that burger.

=====

Looming in the middle of the BatBurger, the Batman loomed. Still as a gargoyle, he exuded gloom and menace. While those outside struggled to get a good picture of proof of the Bat, those inside remained hushed and quiet, wary of the protector of Gotham.

The Batman was an embodiment of fear. His presence was myth; the mere rumor of his approach a warning to the wicked.

The Batman did not feel pain, did not deal with it save to unleash it. What would he do in the face of such disrespect? Would he give chase? Would he hunt? None in that diner knew and stayed still in terror borne of instinct. Caution borne from such a place was not cowardice.

The Batman desired nothing but justice. He also wished for an icepack for his jaw. The cowl protected his face mostly, but metal coins were still metal coins, and the bunny-girl had thrown them pretty hard.

Turning around, he briefly entertained the idea of collecting the various coins as evidence, but even a cursory glance told him all he needed to know. As the bunnygirl had shouted, it was indeed nothing more than pocket change.

That had been… unexpected. Unexpected enough to allow the rabbit an opening to use his head a springboard for escape. Fast, skilled, and with the capacity of danger, Batman moved out of the diner. Having been on patrol, Batman had called in Robin for backup chatter over the police lines had spoke of a new peculiarity in town.

Having arrived first, he had naturally gone in, but by this point, Robin should be here for backup, being able to either slow and detain the bunnygirl or at the very least catch her trail.

Unexpectedly though, Robin was standing outside, looking up. Following his gaze, Batman found that the bunnygirl was out on the roof, spreading her overcoat out with her arms.

"Would you stop doing that!?" Robin shouted, "I'm trying to have a serious talk with you!"

"NEVER! For I am vengeance! I am the night! I ruin perfectly innocent burger runs!" the bunnygirl mocked, flapping the cloak to the laughter of the growing crowd. A laughter that grew silent as Batman stepped out into the light.

"Why do the burgers matter so much!?" Robin shouted, not noticing his entrance. Batman noted that he'd have to work on Robin's situational awareness.

"I haven't had a good burger in months!" the bunnygirl flipped, and Batman near had a heart attack when she toppled to the side. Fortunately, it had been planned and she turned the fall into a flounce, crying dramatically. "Oh, woe is me! My dramatics have caused embarrassment! I must go beat up petty thieves to feel better now! Better yet! I shall invade BatBurger!"

Arm over face, she laid there dramatically. When the expected response did not come, she leaned over and peered down. "Okay, I'll admit that was bit much, but come on! Not even a— HOLY FUCKING! BATMAN!?"

As the bunnygirl rolled away form view, the Batman bit back a curse as he ran forward to prepare to grapple after. He couldn't risk losing his lead. He had to help the bunnygirl.

He had to abort the maneuver when Robin ran out, blocking the path to the optimal grapple position. "B! Stop!"

"She's running away," Batman growled, looking up at the roofs to try and see where the bunnygirl had run off to..

He wasn't concerned about what she would do, but what she needed. From the scratchy youthfulness of her voice and the impulsive panic of her actions, she couldn't be more than fifteen. Wearing only pants and an overcoat, she had nothing else to cover her save bandages wrapped around her chest and the overcoat that looked worryingly tattered. For some odd reason, she also had a black army cap that her ears somehow worked around, either through holes carefully cut into the cap or some more mystical means. The damage of her apparel was reminiscent of those in constant battle, Batman knew he needed to find who had hurt her.

Snapping his fingers twice, Robin rolled his eyes and pointed up. "It's fine! It's fine! She's still on the roof."
Obligingly, a voice shouted, "I'm still on the roof!"

"And she can hear us," Robin sighed softly, pinching his nose. HE lowered his voice, "Look, B. I don't think she knows the concept of subtlety..

"I heard that! I too can know the concept of subtlety!!" the bunnygirl refuted, two ears poking out from the ledge, just shy of hidden.

Looking up at the building, the Batman estimated that it was about six stories high. He would check the precise dimensions on the Bat-Computer later. The bunnygirl had some means of traversal to go from ground level to that height so quickly; most likely enhanced musculature with the way her outfit had almost no place to hide any tools. Robin had also been speaking softly, yet she had still responded promptly. Enhanced hearing with a minimum range of… thirty meters, give or take a few.

Lowering his voice, Robin continued his report, "She's been ranting and yelling for the past couple minutes. I'm trying to get a name from her, but she yelled something about being undecided." —Lack of a name? Amnesia? Or deciding to take on a new persona? —"So I didn't push. Mostly all she's been ranting about was that she was—"

"Trying to buy a burger." Batman cut in. While the impromptu comedy routine between Robin and the bunnygirl was… endearing, there were more important matters to attend to such as who had hurt her.

"What?"

"Robin," Batman didn't quite sigh. "She was trying to buy a burger. A Poison Ivy Delusion."

He felt vaguely insulted at Robin's look of befuddlement. Batman knew he was a bit gruff and… focused at times, but he had only gone inside with the intent to softly question the intentions of the half-naked bunny-girl.

Said bunny-girl shook a fist angrily. "I'd have Jokerized it too if I knew a stupid Bat would ruin it!"

"Really!?" Robin asked, vaguely offended.

"...No. Fuck the Joker!" the bunny-girl shouted, changing the fist to an obscene gesture, and a private part of the Batman was gratified to hear various onlookers yell affirmations to the sentiment.

Sputtering, Robin looked everywhere before pinching his nose. "Look! Just… stay there, please!"

"Why should I!? I lost all my money! I spent all day looking for those coins!" the bunny-girl complained before gesturing empathically. "And the Batman is fucking right there!" Having said her piece, she ducked her head back down, and… it was ridiculous.

This whole thing was ridiculous, but…

Despite everything, the Batman found himself having to fight a small smile at the image of the bunny-girl scrounging around laundromats and underneath vending machines for loose change, carefully counting up the coins for a burger. After… the recent War Games and the loss of Ste—, after some painful losses, it was… nice to have a low-stakes, almost silly incident like this.

"He just wants to talk to you!" Robin shouted, frustrated.

Tapping Robin's shoulder, Batman leaned down and whispered. "Tell her I'll return the coins."

Giving him a surprised glance, it soothed the Bat's soul to hear the amusement in the young bird's voice. "And he said he'll return the coins!"

Head popping up, the bunny-girl yelled, "Is he going to punch me!?"

"NO! No, he's not going to punch you!" Robin turned to mock-whisper to Batman. "You're not going to punch her, right?"

Again, he felt vaguely irritated at the lack of trust, feigned as it was. Rolling his eyes, the Bat nevertheless played along. "I only intended to assess the situation."

"Then why'd she run?" Robin wheedled, taking far too much amusement from this.

Indulging the whim, the Bat sighed, "There may have been a misunderstanding."

Punching his arm, Robin crowed, "You should've waited for me."

"She was an unknown quantity," Batman declared. "It would've been dangerous for you to engage."

Staring blankly, "Ugh. I wish you'd trust me more."

Confused, Batman stared silently. Why would Tim say that. Batman trusted Robin. He had more than proved himself. Smart, clever, comprehensive in analysis, and focused in duty, Batman trusted Robin. It was unknowns he didn't trust, and he'd rather not place Robin in an unknown situation. That was reasonable, right? Yes, he was right to do so.

Before he could correct Tim's interpretation,, the bunnygirl shouted, "Do I go? Is this a whole thing you're doing? I"ll go get my burger somewhere else if you're just going to waste my time!"

"Wait, don't leave!" Robin shouted, and Batman withheld his wince. A panicked order like that was more likely to make the bunny leave. As it was, even from down here, he could see the bunny-girl tensing in preparation, already ducking away to hide from view. Silently, he willed his charge to remember his training and was proud at the cool, calming breaths Robin took before speaking. "Look, we just want to ask some questions. Can we just… talk?"

Silence reigned for a bit, then the ears heralded the head of the rabbit popping out and over. "Prove it!" the bunny-girl shouted, and the Bat sighed with a strange mixture of relief and exasperation at the undertone of amusement.

With that accent and that attitude, she was most likely a child of Crime Alley, loath as the Bat was to use that alias for Park Row. Only a child of the Alley had that heady mixture of cautious suspicion and reckless whimsy. Only a child of the Alley would dare these sorts of antics. Like Jas— Like so many others. He made sure to note that it was only a hypothesis, a good one to start building a file around, but one yet to be confirmed.

"Wh-what!? How?" Robin floundered, caught off guard by the sudden change.

Pressing forward with gleeful abandon, the rabbit rattled off quickly. "Get me a Poison Ivy Delusion Supersized Deluxe Meal with an Extra-Large Side of Fries and a Medium, no, Large-sized Strawberry Milkshake! And make the Soda a Dr. Pepper and a large!" Head ducking under, the rabbit peeked quickly to add on one last tidbit "Also a beer!"

Frozen in surprise, Robin took a moment to mentally reset. "...BatBurger doesn't sell beers. Are you even of age?"

"Are you!?"

Leaving Robin to bicker with the bunny-girl, Batman went inside the Batburger and placed the order, adding on two chocolate milkshakes for himself and Robin. A peaceful night in Gotham was a rare one, and a bit of silliness would be fine.

He'd slip a tracker into the bag though. Just in case.

=====

Rubbing my hands together, I was vibrating with glee. Actually, scratch that. I stood up and punched the air, throwing out a few kicks, and practically danced around the bag that held my first good meal in fucking forever. Once I had gotten all the energy out with my manic dance, I crouched and smiled, just gazing with joy at the little brown bag decorated with the emblem of the Bat.

This was… this was exciting. This was going to be my first burger in this life. My first Supersized burger meal ever. You have any idea how hard it is for a streetrat to scrounge up enough money for a Bat-Mite meal, let alone a Supersized Deluxe meal?

Real fucking hard.

Reaching inside, I felt around and found the box containing the burger. There was an odd amount of… napkins inside, and some of it felt like terrible quality, too stiff and rough and more like…

Cash. No way, did the Bat… Changing targets, I grabbed out a loose sheaf of green paper and marveled at how thick it was.

Holy shit… There's like… One. Two. Three… That's a fat stack of Benjamins there. Flicking through the sheaf, I ballparked it to have about two, maybe three thousand dollars worth of cash. That could buy like… five, maybe six hundred Poison Ivy Delusion© burgers.

The Beast Realm had taught me how to go without food for months, so if I paced myself and at a burger a week, maybe have a few stupid purchases, I could still live an easy two, three years on the cash alone. Especially if I just slept on the rooftops. Winter could be annoying, but… dang. The Bat was hella loaded, huh?

And a softie too, giving a street rat like me all this cash. I'm going to blow it all on… Stuff. What do I like to do? Besides fighting and running? It's always just been on finding the next meal, the next place to rest, getting away from danger, and… I'm goign to need to find a hobby.

And I have money to do that now. Tucking the cash into my cleavage, I immediately realized that was a stupid place to hide the money. My trenchcoat should have… No, that one has a hole, that one's straight torn off, ahah! I put the money into a secret inside pocket and zipped it close.

That pleasant surprise aside, it was time for the real focus of the day. Pulling out the box, I held it to my face and breathed in deep.

Oh, greasy, disgusting, and marvelously all just for me.

Taking it out of the box, I paused right before the first bit and set the burger back into the box. Clapping my hands twice, I kept my palms together in prayer. "Ittadakimasu!"

And then I dug in. Carefully but quickly, I ate the burger and it was marvelous. Greasy. Disgusting. Salty and savory with just that glorious tang of ketchup to even things out and the sharp sourness of pickles, I demolished that burger in moments.

Taking a sip of my soda, I coughed as the bubbles went up the wrong pipe but forced the french fries into my mouth as much as I could. Tilting my head back, I squirted the ketchup packets into my gob and then began chewing, mixing the fried slivers of potato with the sauce and just…

This was good. All too soon, it was all gone, but my stomach felt full.

Perhaps I ate all of it a bit too fast, but it was a hard habit to drop. In Gotham and in the Beast Realm, your meal was one scuffle from being ruined or stolen, so you learned to eat fast.

…But maybe I could learn to savor things slower for once.

Tidying up everything else, shoving all the trash into the paper bag, I snapped my fingers to create a spark of electricity, igniting the contents and burning away the detritus. Stomping out the embers, I walked over to the ledge of the building and looked out at Gotham.

Despite the recent War Games (And wasn't that a hell of a thing to find out you missed), Gotham seemed no different from before that time She became her own land, beholden to no man. Of course, things have changed. That nice bakery that tossed the old bread out in plastic bags was gone, completely destroyed; Park Row Public Library signature oaken doors had black burns, scars that only ever added character to the story; there were so many changes and I'm sure that I would only find more in the coming days, but…

Her Heart still beat the same; Her Song still played.

Taking a sip, I watched as Batman and Robin finally gave up on finding me, using their grapples to hook and swing away into the night.

Hell yeah, let my victory taste like a strawberry milkshake.

It was kinda funny, giving them the good old roundabout. They may have wanted to talk, but I wanted to eat, so I had tricked Robin into laying the food away. Naturally, I snatched it and then ran, but the Batman had some way of tracking me, so I had to run again. I had been lucky enough to sense that he had been closing in on me the first time.

While I appreciated the money he left me, I did not appreciate the tracker. Fucker stuck it onto the fries! I mean I ate the fries, but there was probably weird Bat-cooties or something on them.

I had tried running away again, but they kept on following, so I decided to choose the Clocktower to hide at. Or the construction site where they were rebuilding the Clocktower. That was a helluva thing to find out when you're on the run from the Bat.

The construction site was great for hiding from the Bat and his Robin. I may have cheated by using [黙] to completely cancel out any sound I made. After sticking the tracker onto a random truck, I had just hid from the dynamic duo by just… following behind them. Not behind behind them, but any place that they looked over, I slipped into. They backtracked a few times, but I was just too good for them, and they were on a time limit.

Everybody knew the Bat only ever patrolled at night. All I had to do was outlast them, and I did.

What's that poem?

All the world will be your enemy,
Prince of a Thousand Enemies.
And if they catch you,
they will kill you.
But first, they must catch you.

And then the rest is about running and hiding and stuff. I don't know. I'm not that good at memorizing stuff, but I always thought it was cool. Good advice to live by too when in the Beast Realm. Sure, it's full of the tought and most vicious fighters of all parts of the world of all sorts of history, but the adage remains true. All you had to do was run to survive.

…I think I got too used to running even before I died and went to the Beast Realm. I was a coward who ran away in the most final of ways, during the time of No Man's Land. In my defense, it was a scary time for a kid, but… I still ran, still gave up.

…But now, I'm back and I have an awesome strawberry milkshake, brought with the Bat's own money! Honestly, there's only so much one can dwell on regrets and bad shit before you just start laughing at how angsty you're being.

I used to hate it here, you know. It's so easy to hate Gotham when you're there, but when you're away, you miss Her. Miss her horrors, miss her hauntings, you miss Gotham when you're away from Her.

There's a Song in Gotham, unlike anything. It's haunting, horrifying, a chorus sung and filled with regrets, played by gunfire and screams, and it's violence. A violent tune that plays low until its not, just constantly there to remind you.

But… It's also welcoming. There's a nostalgia here, a timeless theme to Her Song, and when a rare moment of peace comes, one can feel Her heartbeat, can feel why you stay.

She doesn't care particularly for anyone,no favorites nor hated in her souls, but Her apathy is forgiving of everyone. The wretched and the rotten; the monstrous and the marvelous, her embrace is for all. Welcome wolves and sheep, and you shall only find wolves, but the desperate still come, still live here.

Perhaps that's just me philosophizing, but suffering is senselessness and one cannot help but try and find meaning in the meaningless. There must be a reason for pain; there must be a reason to stay, aand I think that reason is that Gotham accepts all.

Gotham's song is sung by the passionate living; a dazed, crazed desperation as a chorus but that potent tune was a heady, hopeful prayer for acceptance of any sort by those mad enough to come here, to stay here. And She would accept all.

Maybe I'm assigning something too human to a city, but She knows what it's like to be abandoned after all. By America, by the world, time and time again, she has been cut off, isolated, and she knows what it's like to be abandoned; so she accepts all, the weak and the wicked, uncaring if the wicked devour the weak.

Sipping my milkshake, I leaned back against the gargoyle and looked. My senses, even before my stint in the Beast Realm, had always been special. I could… see things that others couldn't, hear things that others couldn't, and it had scared me then.

Now? Now, it's just another layer of depth to Gotham, and death had only added clarity to everything. The spirits are diminished, wisps that differ only from the mist and smoke in that they occasionally had a face that made a gasping, grasping emotion. Some mingled through the crowd, walking through the living, following patterns in life even in death.

From so high above, I couldn't tell who lived or who died, I just saw the cycle of the city. Holding my drink up high, I felt like an empress of old, mockingly giving a toast to the plebians.

Hearing the other side… hearing the undertone of the song of Her other side was to hear tales of regret and wistfulness; the dead hold oh-so many regrets, so many tragedies and dead wishes and missed chances that it would age the young with all the lamentations of what could have been, should have been, what might have been.

A liminal thrum to guide the mind meandering.

It was all stupid senseless ramblings of faded and fading spirits who should just move on, but there's lessons to learn there; something fragile in the hope that something ephemeral may stay eternal.

It should be easy to hate Gotham, should be easy, but… She accepts everything, forgives everything.

Or perhaps there is nothing there. Just endings that are rarely happy and beginnings that are often sad.

She is simply a city. Maybe there is no spirit to be found beyond the mournful dead and the grieving living.

Hah. Look at me being introspective, but gods, a time to be alone with your thoughts was gift too often scorned. I felt as if I was a newborn child, and in some ways I was. I had no worries, I had just come to this world anew, and the only difference was that I had a soul weighed by memory.

Once upon a time, Her Song scared me both the over- and undertone. I grew up in fear, huddled in terror, and was so often lonely. Her Song drove me mad all those years ago. I was a special kid, in the head and in the soul, and I always knew more than I should, and Her Song had been a constant, pressing weight back then.

It was… lonely back then, and well… I was weak. I ran away once, ran away by walking off the edge from this life to the afterlife to find silence back when Gotham first became No Man's Land.

It was lowkey kinda fucked up that suicide was considered a sin. Imagine punishing someone who just wanted to escape violence by… tossing them into a realm of violence. What a cosmic karmic comedy. There was something to the madness though because my time in the hell that was the Beast Realm had been good for me, helped me reexamine my priorities, helped me become stronger.

That or I just broke in a way that could shamble along a shy bit better on the road of life. Either way, I'm glad I had been there and glad that I'm back because if only because I realize why Gotham is beautiful.

Gotham welcomes all, uncaring of sin or virtue, regret or hope; She welcomes all.

Wasn't that a tragedy? Wasn't that a blessing?

…Or maybe I'm looking for a way to forgive my stupid past self for jumping off and tossing me into that shitstorm. Searching for meaning in the meaningless and all that.

Popping the cap off the milkshake, I poured the last of it into my mouth before licking the insides. There was only so much poetical philosophizing one could do before they got peckish, and Batburger™ does good milkshakes.

Not many get to enjoy another chance at life, so I best seize it with all I have. I had wasted my life last time and came back only through the sacrifice of… another and the mercy of the Buddha. There was life to live and I who was once weak was finally strong enough to carve out my little slice of joy.

Now what to do next?

=====

AN:
WILL ADD AUTHOR'S NOTES LATER, EITHER AS A COMMENT OR EDITED

If you want to help support my writings, here's a remind that I have a Patreon! Feel free to help out there! It gets you big thankies and also previews and sneak peeks to finished chapters. You'll get chapters a week ahead, but you'll also possibly get to comment on completed scenes. You also get discord roles. It's just for things. There's also a Discord!

Gotham is such a fascinating setting, so it's great to see this story treating Gotham as a character in its own right. I've always wanted to read a story following an original character in Gotham, exploring the city from nearer the ground than whatever grand plot Batman's ended up in this week. Before now, I'd only found one, and it was dead.

A person who reincarnated from the Beast realm in Gotham is really interesting. It kinda reminds me of the Hazbin Hotel fic with the Buddhist MC and his rabbit kid. The Buddhist superpowered person in Gotham with it's Hellmouth nature and the Bat Family will result in lots of chaos and fun times.

Issue 2.1: A Second Chance Shall Always Be Sought And Rarely Be Granted
I really needed to find something better to do.

At least something not as stupid as stalking the Batman.

What can I say? I have a terrible habit of choosing the biggest and strongest guy to stalk. Tiryagyoni, the Beast Realm, was a constant bloody and roiling battle royale. For a weakling like me, I could only ever run, but even if you're never caught, you still need to rest.

And the best way to rest was to find the strongest to hide near. Everybody stayed away from the strongest out of fear of provoking battle, but the strongest didn't care about the fodder. There was no challenge to be had from fodder, nothing to gain from eating the small, and so being near the most dangerous was ironically the safest place for the weak.

Watching the Dynamic Duo grapple and swing through the night, I kept a shroud of [黙] wrapped tight to my body as I followed them. When you didn't have to worry about making a sound, the only part of stealth was keeping out of vision.

Following them was an excellent way of re-learning Gotham. Back when I was just a human, I learned all the important places and routes of the streets, but there's something different about what you can do on the ground and where you can go on the rooftops. No more waiting on sidewalks or watching your back when you could leap from roof to roof.

Wish I had a grapple though. That'd be awesome and make things so much easier.

Hopping from building to building, only scrabbling to grip the ledge after misjudging a jump, it was easy to see that Gotham had changed. She had changed a lot after I uh… left. Places that I had thought would never go away had burnt down like the Clocktower. Can you believe it? That giant Clocktower that could be seen from near anywhere in the city was just… gone, burnt to ashes just like that. Park Row Library was still standing, miracles of miracles, but she had burn marks across her oaken doors and the pretty glass mural of that Jesus guy was cracked with bullet holes.

And the Clinic was just gone. Oh, they were rebuilding it. I saw some trucks and guys in orange vests scurrying around in the day, and it was going to be Thomas Wayne Memorial Clinic again, but it wouldn't be The Clinic.

Not without Doc Thompkins at least.

It was weird. This was the youngest place. It wasn't like the Clocktower or the Library, standing for decades. It was just some rich guy's pet project, daddy issues manifesting itself as a good deed, but during the time where Gotham had been abandoned, it had become a safe place, a sanctuary. Everybody was treated, regardless of faction or sin, and there was no violence on its grounds. I'm sure somebody will take over it, and they'll… hopefully do a good job of it, but they wouldn't be Doc Thompkins.

She wasn't a saint, but nobody in Gotham really believed in that sort of thing. She was strong though, strong enough to help, strong enough to want to help, and that was something that approached myth in Gotham and especially in Crime Alley.

I don't know what happened to Doc Thompkins, but I was hoping that she was alive. I didn't see her ghost when I peeked around, so she wasn't dead. I'd have to ask around to try and find her. There was a small chance that she had died and moved on, but she was too kind for that. She'd have been bound with at last a few regrets. She was too nice to not want to help at least a few more even after she died.

Hopping across an alley, I immediately threw myself backwards and off the roof to get out of sight of the Batman when he came to a sudden stop. As it was, without my [黙] keeping things silent, they would definitely have heard me crashing into a dumpster. Keeping my head buried underneath the garbage and keeping my nose pinched, I waited.

[黙] wasn't a very powerful technique. Unlike most skills developed in Tiryagyoni, there was no immediate combat advantage. Your skin wouldn't harden to endure powerful blows, you couldn't charge your strikes for power or throw raw energy around like most of the battle manics liked to do, but I remain proud of my little technique. It took hellish amounts of fine control over your internal energy, but in syncing yourself with the world, one could become silent and unnoticed by most. A calm heart was necessary to keep the technique up, but once I had mastered it, I could sleep and be secure in the knowledge that folks would never hear me.

And I invented it mostly by myself. It was a good technique for a weak little thing such as myself, and the side effect of having constant upkeep was I had excellent control over my internal energy.

When I no longer felt the gaze, I crept out of the dumpster and brushed most of the trash off. Giving myself a sniff, I was disappointed and disgusted by the stench. A bit vain and more than a bit wasteful with my energy reserves, I slammed two fists together to generate a quick burst of purple lightning around myself, making sure to keep the aura cloak tight to my body to most effectively burn away the stench and making sure to keep [黙] to hide the crackling. I'd smell a bit like a thunderstorm, but it was a small price to pay to not smell like literal garbage.

Climbing back up, I peeked carefully over to see if they were still there. Seeing no one there, I slowly raised my ears up to listen for them. Sensing no one there, I hauled myself up and over and scurried over to the edge. We were on the outskirts of Crime Alley, next to one of Black Mask's little storehouses. More of an abandoned apartment complex, but crimelords gonna crime.

And Batman's gonna punch based on the terrified screams right now.

In the past week that I had been stalking them, I found that the Batman had a pattern. Most nights, when he ran solo, he simply hit as many gang's bases as he could, but when he had Robin with him, he'd be much slower and methodical when doing these little night raids, doublechecking and sniffing around.

I could hide, but why waste the energy? Besides, I should probably head back to the Library and sleep.

Turning to leave, I yelped when I came face to face with a middle-aged office worker.

"Holy shit," I held a hand over my chest, trying to calm my breathing. I needed to quickly recenter myself, regain my calm to keep [黙] up. "Where'd you come from!?"

The ghost wasn't very scary if I was honest. If it were broad daylight or even in the evening, I'd have just written himself off as yet another overweight officeworker and thought nothing of it. The yelp was more out of how unexpected his presence and appearance was.

In my defense, the ghost had a boomerang in his chest. Why was there a freaking boomerang out of this guy's chest? That's some whacky, looney tunes shit that the Joker liked. What the hell did this guy do to piss off the whackos? Other than that, he was your painfully average white-collared worker which, in Gotham, was fucking horrifying.

Like, a thug or labcoat scientist killed in a weird way? Expected, part and parcel of the job. Hooker or small child violently distorted in death? Sad but not unexpected. But milquetoast white guy with a suit and tie with a boomerang in the chest? There's a story of how a normal guy got dragged into weirdness, and that story is one I want nothing to do with.

"You can see me?" the office worker asked, eyes sparkling in as much black voids could.

"I'm talking to you, aren't I?" I snapped, immediately regretting confirming his suspicions. I mean he already knew, but now he knew for sure which meant that—

He grabbed my shoulders, uncaring of how his hands clipped through before resettling into the correct position, "Please, my son—"

And there's the begging. They always beg. I get it. I really do, but it is always so awkward when a ghost begs for help. The closest comparison I can come to is when you ignore a crazy hobo asking for money, but there's something about the dead thing magnifying the awkwardness.

I backed off and cut him off with crossed arms, "Nope!"

"Wh-what?" the man stammered.

Keeping my arms crossed, I shook my head, uncaring of how my long ears flailed. "Nope. Not helping."

"What do you mean not helping?" "You can see me."

And that meant I had to help!? Gods and devils, ghosts were all the same. Given the slightest chance of a second chance, they'll gasp and grasp with everything they had, and they ruined my life. I broke myself once already, and I will not break myself again.

Setting my fists on my hip, I firmly set boundaries. "I'll chat with you. I'll listen to you, but I'm not doing no requests. Nuh-uh. Nope to the rope. This bun's gonna loaf around. Your problems are yours, and I'm not dealign with that."

"Please," He kneeled, knees clipping through the concrete with the force of his plea. Fists clenched in prayer, he begged, "I just need to tell my son that I'm proud of him."

"Then you should have done that in life," I said, uncaring of the sympathetic ache in my heart. Heart of stone, just like Kandatta-sensei. Heart of stone, you stupid bunny. This was just mouse and cookie BSery. You give an inch, then they drag you a mile in and your life's a mess and your mental's fucked, and then you're jumping off roofs again.

Hands slowly loosening, the office-worker bowed his head and murmured, "...I did.

That was… kinda off-script, and curse my curiosity, I asked, "Then why are you still here?"

"Because I didn't tell him enough," he sighed, and his silhouette flickered, darkening to something obsessive.

Ugh, this is why I hate ghosts. There's no escaping them. Fulfill their request and they want more. Deny their request and they still want it. I suppose the same could be said for the living, but why, oh why are folks so governed by desire?

I really didn't want to do this, but… somebody had to stop this ghost from becoming something worse.

"that's the problem. You should have told him then," I sighed. I really just wanted to run, but… I did promise. "But fine. I'll listen to your story. I ain't doing shit though."

"Then why should I tell you?" the ghost grumbled, focus already returning to his obsession

"Because you want to?" I rolled my eyes as I walked to the edge of the roof. If I remembered correctly, there should be a convenience store close by here. "I'm going to go get something to drink. Be right back."

AN:

If you want to help support my writings, here's a remind that I have a Patreon! Feel free to help out there! It gets you big thankies and also previews and sneak peeks to finished chapters. You'll get chapters a week ahead, but you'll also possibly get to comment on completed scenes. You also get discord roles. It's just for things. There's also a Discord!

The MC isn't a a powerhouse but they know a lot of tricks and are good at surviving. Also I like how they knew what was up with the ghost and told them how it was, didn't allow themselves to be pushed around but was willing to listen to the ghost.

Issue 2.2: A Second Chance Shall Always Be Sought And Rarely Be Granted
Leaning back in his chair, the Batman rested his chin on a fist as he rewound the video once more. His cowl was off, and the face of Bruce Wayne was there for anyone to see, but the billionaire socialite's typical mask of an airhead was nowhere to be seen. Here in the Batcave under Wayne Manor, the Dark Knight's guard was… lax as he watched the scene of a bunny girl falling into a dumpster yet again.

No sound could be heard as the footage was from a cheap security camera and the quality was poor, but that little fact still stuck out to the Bat.

Scrolling through the other videos that had been in the folder that Oracle had sent him, the Batman found that to be a common pattern with the Rabbit. No matter what mishaps or large leaps or extravagant motions, there would never be a sound even in security systems with the ability to record sound.

Even his own memories could not remember any sound beyond the ambience of Gotham on those nights and if what Barbara had compiled was correct, the Rabbit had followed him and Robin for a week.

A disquieting thought, and the Bat was determined to discover how she had done so.

"Hey," a young voice called out, "Alfred says dinner's ready."

Having long heard the steps, the Bat wasn't surprised, merely… minorly irritated, "Tell him I'll be up in a bit."

Having already changed out of the Robin costume, Tim was dressed in casual wear as he leaned against the console. Crossing his arms, he said, "I know you're weirded out that a bunny girl stalked you for a week without you noticing, but…"

"But what?" the Bat prompted, halfway turning to face his Robin.

"Yeah, I got nothing," Tim sighed, turning on the spot to watch the monitor. "It's weird that we didn't notice her at all. She was what… like meters away from us sometimes?"

Almost tempted to smile, the Bat was glad to see Tim treating the situation with the gravitas necessary. Pushing away from the console, tacitly giving Robin permission to access the files, he watched as Robin watched the videos.

"Thoughts?"

"Well, she's definitely a meta of some sort," Robin frowned as he paused the video, the frame showing the Rabbit in a cloak of lightning, fists touching together, "but I think it's less genetic and more magic."

"What makes you say that?" Batman asked, already having come to the same conclusion.

"The motion," Robin motioned towards the two fists, "I'm not Cass, but that movement looks more practiced rather than instinctive."

"She says no words though," Batman refuted.

Robin shrugged, "Could be a chantless form of magic. Her focus isn't with words but through movement."

A moment passed, and while Batman did not smile, he did nod.

Ignoring the terribly hidden fistbump of Robin, Batman quietly took back control of the console, "I'll make sure to contact Zatanna for confirmation." Typing for a bit, he then frowned. "Take a seat, there's more videos."

Sliding a chair over, Robin sat quietly with Batman as they watched the most recent video together. All the other videos had been patched together from various cameras, jumpy cuts and varying quality, so what made this one special was that it was the longest, uninterrupted video of the Rabbit. Sitting down and drinking a bottle of beer, Batman had already cross-referenced and compensated the convenience store that the Rabbit had stolen said bottle from.

Facing the street, the Rabbit was silent for the most part but gestured every so often, seemingly communicating with something unseen. The angle was unfortunate, preventing lip-reading, but there was still information to be gleaned here. She was… animated. Even silent, even with her face hidden, Batman could still easily guess what she was feeling. Initially antsy, then angry, then melancholic, for someone so silent, she was… quite loud in how she lived/

"Pause that," Robin slapped the console, pointing. "What's that position?"

Pausing the frame, the Batman tried to see what Robin saw. The Rabbit had stood up at one point, turning to show half her face even as she yelled at the air. As soon as the passion burn into life, so too did it suddenly cool, and the Rabbit's demeanor became melancholic.

Still difficult to guess what she was aiming for. Batman stroked his chin. "Two arms upraised?"

"No. The arms are crossed," Robin took control of the keyboard, sooming the video in, and while pixelation occurred, there was just enough detail to see the Rabbit's eyes had closed in an almost sorrowful fashion. "I think she's hugging something, maybe even someone."

Nodding, Batman typed quickly, zooming the picture back out and highlighting the Rabbit"Computer, Calculate Designation: Rabbit's height."

"Is that what we're calling her?" Robin asked, corners quirking into a smile. "Seems a bit less… imaginative than most of the other names."

"Bunnygirl seemed crass and most names associated with bunnies are… crass."

"Why not Carbonnag?" Robin asked, "Like Monty Python?"

Because Gotham seemed to have a sick sense of humor and implying the existence of a Killer Rabbit may very well summon a Killer Rabbit was not what Batman said. Instead, he answered. "It didn't seem to fit."

"Fair enough."

Then the silence descended. The Batman did not shuffle. Robin did. Despite the expediency of the Bat-Computer, both of them felt immense relief when the automated voice beeped.

"150 cm," Batman muttered, "So wherever entity the Rabbit is speaking with is about that height."

"No," Robin cut in. "Stand up for me."

Obligingly, the Batman stood up and loomed over Robin. Most would feel fear, but not Robin. Holding out his hands, Robin explained his thought process as he embraced Batman. "She's hugging the way short people do. Her hands are reaching up, not around, so whoever or whatever she's speaking with is taller than her." His hands moved from Batman's back to between his shoulderblades, demonstrating his point.

Silent, not having been prepared for the hug, Batman forced himself to relax, being very careful not to move a muscle. "Good observation. We could come up with an ad hoc ratio based on our position."

"Yeah." Robin nodded, letting go, face blushing. "I'll just uh… Do that."

"We could… embrace again." Batman suggested, not quite admitting something. "To have a better framework."

Looking at the monitor, Robin nodded quickly, "Right. Yeah. We should do that."

Hesitating only long enough to rush headlong in, they embraced again, carefully. Batman remembered the spot where Robin reached behind his shoulderblade, bending his knees slightly to better simulate the probable height of the Rabbit's Hug-Recipient.

When they were satisfied with the accuracy, they let go and focused on gathering measurements. Less precise than usual, but this case wasn't quite a priority, and the little evidence they had was circumstantial, so Batman felt fine being a bit lenient towards the process this time around.

"So whoever she's hugging is about 180 cm," Robin calculated.

Grunting, Batman nodded, adding that to the Rabbit's file. "Excellent job. That should help us with the parameters of the case."

"Indeed. Congratulations are in order," a long slow clap provided tempo to the posh steps of Alfred as he descended into the Bat-Cave. You've estimated the height of a rabbit and have somehow turned the emotional act of embrace into cold calculations. Truly, a productive evening, Master Bruce, Master Tim."

And just like that, the Bat was left feeling like a child caught in the cookie jar.

"Uh, sorry, Alfred." Tim said, the demeanor of Robin all but gone, ruefully rubbing the back of his head.

Smiling blandly as only a Brit could, Alfred tilted his head. "Whatever do you have to be sorry for, Master Tim? I only asked you to call up Master Bruce as I've prepared a nice, frosty meal for the both of you."

Bruce stoically did not wince as Tim fell for the trap, asking "Frosty?"

Shaking his head, the butler sighed. "Well, in theory, spaghetti napolitan is supposed to be served warm, but I'm afraid that the ambience of this cave and the time spent calculating the heights of rabbits and ghosts have turned the noodles positively infirm with pneumonia."

"Oh," Tim shuffled, hands behind his back"Uh, sorry, we'll warm it up."

Disliking the diversion from the trail of thought, Bru—Batman interjected, "We don't know if it's a ghost yet."

Alfred simply gave Bruce an unamused stare and very silently spoke his full thoughts on that denial. Turning to sniff at Tim, the butler chided softly, "See that you do. I have made garlic bread, but I'm afraid I shall leave the platter upstairs. I fear that you may leave my hand baked delicacies become dusty artifacts if given half the opportunity."

"This is important Alfred." Batman declared, the tone one that made hardened criminals tremble.

Seeing the bravado for the falsehood that it was, Alfred dismissed Bruce's unspoken plea, refuting from an unexpected angle. "And yet the both of you have completely overlooked the first and most important question of any case here."

"What?"

Pivoting neatly, Alfred left the Dynamic Duo with a single question.

"Why?"

=====

AN:

Issue 2.2: A Second Chance Shall Always Be Sought And Rarely Be Granted
I don't know why I'm doing this.

Ghosts are greedy fuckers. Selfish, demanding, they want the hardest shit to get. A second chance. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get the desire, but… It's no way to live. No way to die either, but they wouldn't be lingering if they weren't tied down.

And it's always my problem. Every single one of them. Give them the slightest scrap and they'll push for more. Real mouse and cookie kind shit.

So I'm a real dumbass of a bunny for even bothering to listen to this ghost. Already, I can sense other specters crawling, but a flex of [黙] kept them wary and away. I had summoned up what little goodwill I had, and I only had enough to listen to one story. No more.

"How's the beer?" I asked, wary of the awkward silence.

"Oh, it's uh… it's good," the ghost said, looking down at the silhouette of the beer bottle in his hands. It wasn't the real thing, merely the concept, essence of alcohol, but I still hoped he enjoyed it. "I… I never expected to be able to drink again.

I'm surprised it worked. Offering to the spirits is a concept universal to the world, and apparently for good reason. While the food may not physically disappear, spirits can, apparently, eat the concept of things. Good to know that even a casual offering works. I'd remember that for the future.

Not that I was making this a habit.

"Eh, I was raised to give respect to the spirits, and spirits for a spirit is pretty respectful if you ask me." I waggled my bottle in the air. "Toast?"

Looking between his bottle and mine, he shrugged and clinked.

In unison, we sipped. I didn't quite gag, but the taste wasn't good either. Bit muted, but maybe that was because the ghost had taken the spiritual side of things, so the beer was a little less beer-y. Still bitter.

Chuckling at my joke more out of politeness, the ghost sighed as he swirled his bottle idly, "You know, I finally get the appeal of this. Tastes horrible, but… it takes the sting off. Dangerous stuff."

"What? Used to the topshelf?"

"...Once upon a time," he murmured, a story untold in his lament.

I had to stop myself from wondering who this ghost was. That was dangerously close to knowing what they wanted and then it would be a direct line to hElPiNg. Besides, this ghost had been following Batman. His trail of wraiths was kinder than most, but most of his ghosts all wailed and screamed for vengeance, dissipating as soong as justice was dispensed. He was more coherent than most; his obsession not yet taking him over, but… all ghost eventually decayed in their desire. Decayed or moved on, and I think it's clear which is more common.

"Well, tough shit," I focused on something else, making a joke. "This bun's broke, and I already had to steal that that bottle. That's the best we got, and we gotta share." I took a bracing swig. "Anyways, spill."

The man's sighmade the boomerang in his chest waggle weirdly. "You're a bit blunt, aren't you."

"Life's short," I shrugged, fully aware and utterly uncaring of the irony of telling that to a ghost. "I've got a life to live,

"Shouldn't you be more sympathetic?" he groused, hand clenching around his bottle.

"I already am,"I sipped, swirling the bottle and admiring the bubbling spiral. "I'm listening."

Maybe I'm being blunt, but gods, have I mentioned I'm terrified? I don't want to be cruel or callous, but people are selfish and ghosts even more so. I want, I need to set a boundary. I cannot, will not destroy my life helping others again. I am alive. I deserve to live, to be happy. I must remember that I am weak and cannot, should not help more than I am capable.

With a gaze of annoyance and more than a little self-pity, the ghost finally spilled his life story. He talked because despite the saying, the dead have many tales to tell. He talked about his life, his work as an archaeologist, and there was a dark humor for a man who made a living studying dead things talk about his life's work after death. He talked about a wife he loved and a life blessed with riches given at birth and lost with one faithful accident. He talked about everything and nothing, and only towards the end did he talk about his son.

Was it selfish for him to talk so much about his life and so little about his son? Perhaps, but what use was judgment on the dead? Ghosts already bind themselves with regret, punishing themselves with the impossibility of redemption.

I'll admit I zoned out for most of his earlier speech, only making the appropriate hums and nods as needed, but here? Here, I listened because this was what tied him down.

His son. Or rather, lack of knowing his son.

Harsh as it may be, but it's a common story of regret. The ghost wasn't the worst father, a bit neglectful, leaving his son behind as he went on archeological digs and trips on other families, but eh, it's Gotham. Kids ran around by themselves all the time. Hell, I was one of them and I came out kinda fine.

He regretted not being there for his son, for not encouraging him enough, and again, common enough stuff. Wasn't there enough, didn't do enough, it's all very common for ghosts in Gotham.

I said as much.

"Wow, you kinda suck." I swirled my beer, taking another sip. By all rights, I should've finished it by now, but I stole the crappy Corona Light one and it was an ordeal to finish. Swirling the bottle, I shrugged as I comforted the ghost. "But you didn't do half bad though."

"Wh-what?"

"You didn't beat him; you tried fixing yourself towards the end. Genuinely can't believe you told The Batman to fuck off. You've got big balls for a Bristol fuck." I sipped and grimaced. Ugh, I really didn't want to finish this. "Hell, you got to tell your son you loved him before you went. Pretty good end as things go."

The ghost frowned and his form flickered as something darker began to take over. "But you won't help?"

Past me would've been scared. This me was strong, and so I denied. "I won't help. Them's the breaks."

His form rippled and then exploded as he shouted. "Shouldn't you be helping!? I thought you vigilantes were all about helping."

"You think— I'm a—" I covered my face as I tossed my head back and laughed. "AHAHA! Ha! Ha. No. No. I'm just a bunny that got lucky. I'm just trying to live life one day at a time." I snapped my finger, calling forth silent violet lightning. "Doing pretty well for myself so far."

His form that had been asundering with poorly contained rage found itself tempered and restrained by my lightning. I had infused [黙] into the lightning binding, so it caused no pain, only giving the ghost's spirit a steadying touch.

Not noticing how close he had to becoming something worse, the ghost begged, "Then why are you following my son."

"Your son is—" Robin, I didn't finish. Even if the only things that could hear were ghosts, there's always danger in speaking secrets. "Fuck me sideways. Look, don't tell me your name; don't tell me his name."

"Wh-why?"

Putting my hands on his shoulders, surprising him with my ability to touch him, I squeezed to regain his attention. Leaning in, I hissed, "Don't curse me with that knowledge. Don't weigh your son with your regret. Your ending was tragic, but it was still a good end. Make your peace."

Not quite blubbering, the ghost floundered, "B-but—"

"You're fucking dead, my man," I growled, tapping the side of my head for emphasis, one hand still holding tight. "Get that in your head. Regrets are for the living; the dead must find peace in their… death. Unless you are cursed beyond belief, you don't come back."

Glaring defiantly, the ghost found his obsession no match for my determination, and his gaze diverted first, looking sadly off to the side.

Harsh, harsher than I had intended, but… Gods, this was hard.

"Look, just…" I massaged my temple. "You're a young soul."

The ghost frowned, "I'm fairly certain I'm older than you, young lady."

"Hah, well, I'm far more aged than you. The Gods know you'll end up in a far nicer place than I did." I grumbled. Falling silently, I thought carefully about what I said next. "You're not a great man, but you weren't a bad one either, and that matters more than you think in this life and the next. But the longer you stay on this earth, the more you let your regret consume you; the more you become enchained to this realm, becoming a chain to your son. You love your son. Don't become a curse for him."

The ghost remained silent; his shoulders slumped and his silhouette darkening with anger. I hate this. I just want to leave, but if I leave this be, he's going to become something worse. Even if it was with my prodding, the fact that he almost became a vengeful spirit earlier was not a good sign of the stability of his spirit on his earth. His temper tantrum would affect other spirits and… I'm not sure how spirits affect the real world, but there is definitely a connection, one already ruined in this city and one that I do not want to taint further.

…If I'm really honest with myself, I don't like seeing people hurting even if I no longer like helping.

Taking a deep breath, I looked out at the city, "Before I became this sexy, awesome, amazing—"

"Are you going somewhere with this?" the ghost cut in.

"Shush. I'm building up to something," I rolled my eyes, hiding my relief at his tempered reaction. It bode well for his current stability. "Anyways, before I became this great version of myself, I was a kid on the streets who could see ghosts."

I paused, but for once, a ghost seemed content to let another tell their story.

"It took me a long time to realize that there were some that others couldn't see, but by then, I was too weird to be adopted, and well… foster care in Gotham is gambling against loaded dice. One thing I learned is that the dead are greedy, greedier than the living."

"What do you mean?"

"I used to try to help, but I was a weak kid. I couldn't do anything, and those I couldn't help grew angry and hated me. They screamed and yelled, and their anger distorted them to be less than they were. There's power in their anger, and never the good kind." I didn't shudder because I was no longer scared of those ghosts, not even the memory of them, but my heart still clenched. Even after all this time, I still wished I could've done more. "A minor accident here, a mishap there; the little things can add up to something lethal."

But maybe I should have done less.

Fully lost in memory now, I lamented, "The worst ones… the worst ones were the ones I could help. They grew greedy. They asked for more and more until I was practically living for nothing but them." I trailed off and sipped. The sewers of Gotham were ill maintained and spewed white wisps up through the grates, but even then I could see the wil-o-wisps of faded spirits weaving with them. So attached to this earth that they fade pitifully, their regrets softly tearing them to near-nothings. "So I've decided to be selfish this time. Live for myself at my own pace, with my own whims leading the way this time."

'I wouldn't—"

"But you would," I sighed, less an accusation and just a simple statement. I couldn't be angry at any ghost. Why should I? Regrets are a cornerstone of human nature, a foundation fundamental to life. "A message becomes a gift. A gift turns into a task. A task turns into a life. Be honest, you would ask me to make sure your son was safe, to act as sentry and guardian for him."

"I wouldn't do that!"

"Wouldn't you? You love him, right? Don't you want someone to watch over him? Look over him? You could stay, right? You'd ask me to speak for you; a message a month, a message a week, a message every day until every word I spoke was from you to him. You could be a father to him again. All you'd have to do would ask a little more."

His mouth opened and then closed, and he looked away, ashamed that the fantasy I painted was one that he couldn't refute.

Looking up to the sky, to the beautiful half-moon balanced between light and dark, I mused quietly. "Little things add up. If there's one thing I learned, it's that desires only grow." Looking to my companion for the night, I pleaded, "So please. Make your peace. Another life, another chance, but not for one's past and passed."

Unable to stand my pleading gaze, the ghost stood up, driftinging away, almost running away from me as he lamented."But then what can I do!?"

Pretending I didn't see him crying, I walked around and embraced him, ignoring the awkward way the boomerang jutted into my chest, focusing on acknowledging his pain wordlessly even as I repeated my first request to him. "Let go and free yourself. I cannot save you, not in any way that matters. Your son can only ever forgive you, but that's not what truly binds you to this world. You must be your own salvation. The journey you go on will be a lonesome one, but you won't be alone."

Hesitantly but then desperately, he clung to me as he sobbed, "But I want to be better for him."

"And you can but not then. Not now. But in a different life, another life."

"...I told him later too many times," his grip tightened painfully, grabbing my fur through my jacket.

Enduring the pain, I squeezed him, grounding him best as I could in this present moment, "Perhaps you did, but what's one more time for the final time?"

His face buried into the crook of my shoulder; there was a soft tragedy in how his tears couldn't stain even my clothes,"I left him waiting too many times."

"Perhaps you did, but you can wait for him this time."

"I held him back," he murmured, and his grip loosened as he accepted this realization. "I held him back and… I'm still holding him back." As he accepted that, I felt the boomerang digging into both our chests finally dissipate, and I smiled. A bit sad but also a bit happy.

It was almost time. He was almost ready.

"Perhaps, but you can let him go now. He's strong and kind and a very patient Robin," I chuckled, remembering how indulging the Boy Wonder had been to this rabbit's whims at Batburger. Licking my lips, I decided to cheat and… compromised on my stance of not doing anything more. "Tell me what you want to say."

"I thought you weren't—" the ghost trailed off, incapable of finishing the thought, ghostly chest heaving with everything he truly wanted to say, the blood from the boomerang darkening his shirt, another place for his soul to cry from. He swallowed. "I have so much I want to say."

"I will only pass on one message, and I will not do so until you've moved on," I murmured, squeezing him tight, feeling his desperate breaths push my hair, "You must let go; the rage, the sadness. Let go and trust in him. Tell him what you think he needs to know the most."

Ghost's… bodies, for lack of a better term, are only as their souls imagine them, a silhouette bound by their mind. They're… replicas of a real living being body, mockeries that react based only on their memories of how they would react.

Even so, he wheezed as if he couldn't breath, arms squeezing me in a frail attempt to hold on just that much longer, and the catch in his voice as he struggled, all of his pain, imagined and replicated as it was, was all too real.

In the end, he left me with three little words to pass on, and then I was alone on the roof, holding nothing.

Standing alone for a bit, arms embracing the emptiness, I felt… regret. If I was kinder… but no. He was dead, already dead and nothing I could do could save him.

Dead was dead, and that was that.

Sitting down heavily on the ledge and chugging just as heavily, I found that the flavor numbed the ache in my heart. I kinda understood what Mr. Office Worker was talking about when he said that this was dangerous stuff now.

Didn't stop it from tasting like shit though. Didn't stop me from finishing the rest.

Setting the bottle down, I leaned back and looked up at the smoggy sky, gray and murky just as this city was.

Hah, I am way too soft. Now I was going to have to figure out how to tell Robin his father's last words and that was going to be a pain in the ass. But a promise was a promise, and the man had moved on, best as he could, and so I would do my part best as I could.

…This better not be the start of something.

=====

AN:

Famous last words...

This is a really good fiction. You can tell that the MC is doing things in a interesting way. I just found this fic and I think it's fantastic.

"How's the beer?" I asked, wary of the awkward silence.

"Oh, it's uh… it's good," the ghost said, looking down at the silhouette of the beer bottle in his hands. It wasn't the real thing, merely the concept, essence of alcohol, but I still hoped he enjoyed it. "I… I never expected to be able to drink again.

I'm surprised it worked. Offering to the spirits is a concept universal to the world, and apparently for good reason. While the food may not physically disappear, spirits can, apparently, eat the concept of things. Good to know that even a casual offering works. I'd remember that for the future.

Not that I was making this a habit.

"Eh, I was raised to give respect to the spirits, and spirits for a spirit is pretty respectful if you ask me." I waggled my bottle in the air. "Toast?"
I like that there's a coastlines behind this with her just offering a dead dude a drink but that it's only possible due to offerings to the dead being a common concept that it has a mystical effect.

His son. Or rather, lack of knowing his son.

Harsh as it may be, but it's a common story of regret. The ghost wasn't the worst father, a bit neglectful, leaving his son behind as he went on archeological digs and trips on other families, but eh, it's Gotham. Kids ran around by themselves all the time. Hell, I was one of them and I came out kinda fine.

He regretted not being there for his son, for not encouraging him enough, and again, common enough stuff. Wasn't there enough, didn't do enough, it's all very common for ghosts in Gotham.

I said as much.
She's used to ghosts to the point where she has an understanding of common trends among them.

"Wow, you kinda suck." I swirled my beer, taking another sip. By all rights, I should've finished it by now, but I stole the crappy Corona Light one and it was an ordeal to finish. Swirling the bottle, I shrugged as I comforted the ghost. "But you didn't do half bad though."

"Wh-what?"

"You didn't beat him; you tried fixing yourself towards the end. Genuinely can't believe you told The Batman to fuck off. You've got big balls for a Bristol fuck." I sipped and grimaced. Ugh, I really didn't want to finish this. "Hell, you got to tell your son you loved him before you went. Pretty good end as things go."
He could've been a better dad but he also could've been a much worse one. And he had a pretty good ending.

"Hah, well, I'm far more aged than you. The Gods know you'll end up in a far nicer place than I did." I grumbled. Falling silently, I thought carefully about what I said next. "You're not a great man, but you weren't a bad one either, and that matters more than you think in this life and the next. But the longer you stay on this earth, the more you let your regret consume you; the more you become enchained to this realm, becoming a chain to your son. You love your son. Don't become a curse for him."
I'm getting JJK vibes from this bit.

"It took me a long time to realize that there were some that others couldn't see, but by then, I was too weird to be adopted, and well… foster care in Gotham is gambling against loaded dice. One thing I learned is that the dead are greedy, greedier than the living."

"What do you mean?"

"I used to try to help, but I was a weak kid. I couldn't do anything, and those I couldn't help grew angry and hated me. They screamed and yelled, and their anger distorted them to be less than they were. There's power in their anger, and never the good kind." I didn't shudder because I was no longer scared of those ghosts, not even the memory of them, but my heart still clenched. Even after all this time, I still wished I could've done more. "A minor accident here, a mishap there; the little things can add up to something lethal."

But maybe I should have done less.

Fully lost in memory now, I lamented, "The worst ones… the worst ones were the ones I could help. They grew greedy. They asked for more and more until I was practically living for nothing but them." I trailed off and sipped. The sewers of Gotham were ill maintained and spewed white wisps up through the grates, but even then I could see the wil-o-wisps of faded spirits weaving with them. So attached to this earth that they fade pitifully, their regrets softly tearing them to near-nothings. "So I've decided to be selfish this time. Live for myself at my own pace, with my own whims leading the way this time."
She didn't really have a great childhood because orphan in Gotham and it was made even worse by ghosts being themselves.

Pretending I didn't see him crying, I walked around and embraced him, ignoring the awkward way the boomerang jutted into my chest, focusing on acknowledging his pain wordlessly even as I repeated my first request to him. "Let go and free yourself. I cannot save you, not in any way that matters. Your son can only ever forgive you, but that's not what truly binds you to this world. You must be your own salvation. The journey you go on will be a lonesome one, but you won't be alone."
She feels like a bit of a priest or psychopomp here with helping him move on.

Even so, he wheezed as if he couldn't breath, arms squeezing me in a frail attempt to hold on just that much longer, and the catch in his voice as he struggled, all of his pain, imagined and replicated as it was, was all too real.

In the end, he left me with three little words to pass on, and then I was alone on the roof, holding nothing.

Standing alone for a bit, arms embracing the emptiness, I felt… regret. If I was kinder… but no. He was dead, already dead and nothing I could do could save him.

Dead was dead, and that was that.
And thus a dead man moves on and leaves a final message.

Hah, I am way too soft. Now I was going to have to figure out how to tell Robin his father's last words and that was going to be a pain in the ass. But a promise was a promise, and the man had moved on, best as he could, and so I would do my part best as I could.

…This better not be the start of something.
And now she has to deliver that message.

A person who reincarnated from the Beast realm in Gotham is really interesting. It kinda reminds me of the Hazbin Hotel fic with the Buddhist MC and his rabbit kid. The Buddhist superpowered person in Gotham with it's Hellmouth nature and the Bat Family will result in lots of chaos and fun times.

Can I please have the link to that fic, sounds like an interesting read.

Can I please have the link to that fic, sounds like an interesting read.
It's actually by the same author.

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

A Homeostasis of Hope And Heresy (A Hazbin Hotel SI/OC Story)

When an average mortal commits the cardinal sin of questioning Heaven, he's sent to hell. In his humble opinion, heaven's overrated and hypocritical to hell and back, hell's overdone and far too hedonistic, and he's just quite done with existence in general. Still, there's a few bright spots...

It's actually by the same author.

forums.sufficientvelocity.com

A Homeostasis of Hope And Heresy (A Hazbin Hotel SI/OC Story)

When an average mortal commits the cardinal sin of questioning Heaven, he's sent to hell. In his humble opinion, heaven's overrated and hypocritical to hell and back, hell's overdone and far too hedonistic, and he's just quite done with existence in general. Still, there's a few bright spots...

Vinaka Vakalevu, My friend. 😁👍

Guess the language.

Issue 3.1: Three Strikes And Even the Buddha Is Angered
"He's just like me, for real," I chuckled as I paged through Yu Yu Hakusho.

It was an old school manga about some punk kid who died and came back to life. Unlike my dumbass, he went out saving someone, but there was a dark humor in seeing him have to deal with even more spirit bullshit than myself. Ghosts were annoying enough, but dangerous artifacts? No thanks.

I'm pretty grateful there's no Underworld Bureaucracy to rope me into being a Spirit Detective and cleaning up their messes.

It sucked that the Library was missing volumes 4 & 5, but I had put in a request at front desk for them to pull in copies from the neighboring branches. For now, I was stuck re-reading the first three volumes over and over. They have volumes 6-17, but like, I didn't want to skip and be confused.

Park Row Public Library was kinda shitty, being in Crime Alley and all, but it was always a comfort place for street rats. The librarians had given me the side-eye the first few times I had dropped in, but being my adorable bunny self, they had gotten used to me commandeering a beanbag and just spending the whole day reading manga in the library.

Personal preference but objectively correct, the dark blue bean bags were the best bean bags.

It was amazing to know that their manga collection had only gotten bigger during my absence, but… also kinda sad to see that none of the librarians recognized me. It definitely hurt to see them be afraid of me when I first came in, but that was my own fault.

You abandoned a lot when you offed yourself. All I could do was rebuild my connections. It was still sad to hear that Miss Gordon had transferred to a different branch. She always had good recs for Shojo manga.

Shuffling around to look at the manga shelf, I was annoyed to find a ghost floating in front of the One Piece section. I wanted to see if they have Volume 19.

A plump and short hispanic woman, she wired a distinct pair of horn-rimmed glasses. Bloodied front and cracked glasses, her voice was watery as if she was underwater. Green dress marred by blood and weighed down by water, I hoped she had died from the gunshot but knew that drowning was the true cause of her death.

I debated on pretending not to see her, but the ghost leaned forward and asked, "Are you the Rabbit?"

Grinning wryly, I reached up and mockingly grabbed my long, rabbit ears, "Gee willickers, I don't know. Am I the Rabbit?"

Rudely not laughing at my amazing joke, the ghost knelt down and clasped her hands together, "I need you to kill a man."

Well, that was #3 on most common requests for ghosts. Also, #1 on the most irritating and the most dangerous and the most annoying requests that a ghost could give.

"Ugh, no," I shoved as much disdain as I could, pointedly reaching through her form to peruse the One Piece collection. Damn it, they were missing volume 1. Hate it when they're missing volume 1. "Don't you have something else to worry about besides vengeance? Like your daughter?"

Surprisingly, the Hispanic woman showed no offense nor horror at my disrespect which spoke to her stability and will.

"The Bat will save my daughter, but I need you to kill Garzonas." the ghost stated, firm in her anger "It's the only way she'll be truly safe."

I almost refused. I should refuse.

In Yuyu Hakusho, a ghost bound by regret would typically be released when said regret was fulfilled. For the most part, they were right, but ghosts are so rarely bound by a simple, singular desire. A myriad of things bind them, and unless you find the core regret rooting them to the earth, all you'd do is turn a ghost into a hungry ghost.

And vengeance was the most complex of regrets. A desire for justice tied with a desire to protect what's left behind, and the attempt to snip could easily entangle.

…But Garzonas…

"What's his first name?" I asked, sitting up.

"Marco," the ghost stated. "You don't have to worry about Felipe. You will never have to worry about Felipe again, dear, but I need you to help protect my daughter."

So not Felipe. It couldn't have been Felipe since that fucker had died long time ago. Whether by the second Robin's hands or not, well, that was hearsay and rumor, but… Garzonas was still a name that sent shivers up the spine.

At least mine.

He hadn't been a monster like the Joker, but he was a man of influence with certain… tastes, and in some ways, that was more terrible. Street brats, especially those young girls, told each other to run, and well… I hadn't been one of the faster ones. Still got lucky though because I still got away in the end after, but that shit sticks with a bunny, you know you know.

It had been a relief when rumors had spread that he had been banished from Gotham, and downright a joy to hear he had died. I certainly slept easier knowing he couldn't do… well, anything anymore.

I had to be better though. I had to be sure.

"Hm, well, I could rescue your daughter," I compromised. "But I don't see any problem with letting Garzonas wander about." That was a lie. I really wanted him and anybody like him gone, but I couldn't indulge this ghost's request. It was far too easy for such murderous wishes to evolve into an obsession.

So this was a test. Bound by desire, ghosts were typically terrible liars, their forms changing to show off their truest emotion. and while her form flickered in anger, it didn't distort.

"I thought you were better than this, Rachel," the ghost sighed as she adjusted her glasses.

I paused in my perusal. I had to. It had been hard to keep up the performance, but now? Now it was just impossible. Letting the tears run freely now, I covered my face with an arm, "What'd you even do to get his attention, Miss Acosta?"

Taking off my cap, Miss Acosta stroked my hair as she murmured, "The usual. Help some hide. He didn't much like that when he found out. Least he had the decency to not do it in the library."

"I told you that it was going to get you killed someday," I growled. "You did your part. You have… had a daughter, damn it. You could've just… sent for others. Freaking Batman's romps across the city every night"

"Then should I have abandoned you?"

"Yes," I grumbled. "I'm grateful you helped, but I would've been fine. You got lucky then. You didn't get lucky this time."

I yelped when her stroking turned into a sudden yank.

"And yet you still jumped," Miss Acosta chided. "I told you that if you needed help, you just needed to come to the library, silly bunny."

"Didn't want to bother you," I sulked, rubbing my head ruefully.

"Always so selfish in your care, Rachel," Miss Acosta wagged her finger before holding her hand out.

And damn it all, I leaned back in so that she could stroke my head again. The silence that followed was… nice but could only ever end and soon.

"Do you remember then, Rachel?" Miss Acosta eventually murmured.

"...Of course, I do, Miss Acosta," I sighed.

"Then you know what men like Garzonas would do," Miss Acosta dug up that old wound, rubbing the base of my ears apologetically.

Looking up, I smiled wryly, "Of course, I do."

"Then you know he needs to die." Miss Acosta smiled sadly even as her carefully controlled emotions finally broke, her form distorting into razors and anger and swelled like a rising tide. "He cannot be allowed to do this again. Don't you want to save people? Don't you want to stop them? Don'T YoU WanT VenGEAnCE?"

If it was any other thing, if it was any other ghost, I'd snark and be dismissive, but… I did. I so badly did want to hurt them. Miss Acosta had been kind, so kind. Hiding me away in the Library, sneaking in snacks for me, and showing me books and recommending manga and it wasn't fair that she was dead and that Marco Garzonas was not.

His death wouldn't bring peace to her. Felipe was dead and suffering in Hell. I had seen it myself, and while I had found peace in the sight, but… it had been fleeting. HHis pain hadn't lessened mine, but… knowing his weakness had lessened my own fear, and… Gods, why'd Miss Acosta make this sound so simple, so… appealing.

I should hate her for making me remember then. I hated then. Childlike, exotic in the "Oriental" way, I had been a delicacy. Much as I… disliked my sense for spirits, it had been the only thing that saved me then, and I should hate Miss Acosta for playing so dirty.

But I couldn't. I couldn't even blame her. She saw what type of appetite Garzonas and his men had. She helped me escape it, had helped others escape it until her death and… No mother would ever want their daughter in the barest chance of such danger.

Gods, seeing her ghost made me angry, so angry. Why should they live and she died when they were so terrible and Miss Acosta so kind?

And would that save her? It would damn them, but they were already damned men.

But…

"Of course, I do," I finally answered, whispering defeatedly, "But… But do I need to be the one to kill him?"

Maybe it was dirty of me to appeal to Miss Acosta's better nature by reminding her of how weak I was, but I also genuinely just… didn't want to kill. I would. I had, but in the Hell of Beasts, death was temporary, almost playful. In the real world, would it be the same?

Her shifting form stilled, and her face twisted in horror as she realized just what she was asking of me.

"...No. No, you don't."

For a moment, that seemed like that would be it, but…

"But if you could..." she whispered her wish.

But desire, even those borne of good intention, burned into obsession. MIss Acosta helped many, but she still had her own self, her own daughter, and well… so what if I didn't want to do it? At least, Miss Acosta had asked nicely.

Closing my eyes, I forgave Miss Acosta's small betrayal. "It's a terribly selfish thing you're asking me to do."

"I know," Miss Acosta sighed, "I'm sorry. Please protect my daughter"

And she did sound genuinely apologetic.

Running my fingers along the spines of the books, I played at searching for my next read.

…Well, I suppose it's only polite to repay my debt to Miss Acosta.

Was it selfish of me to think that a life avenged for a life saved was a poor exchange?

=====

AN:

So basically the MC met a ghost of someone they knew in life that really helped them out and even if they're kind that's still a vengeful ghost asking the MC to kill a person, a horrible monstrous person but still not really the type of thing the ghost would do in life.

Back