Quest Idea Thread

How do other people come up with quest systems?

I ask because I sat down to throw some ideas on to paper and realised when I looked up an hour later that what I was writing down wasn't a forum quest system, it was a fucking tabletop RPG.

...so yeah. How much is too much, do you think, If one wants meaningful character stats/attributes/abilities in a system that can actually function as a quest. Any people who've run one before who care to comment?

Depends on the quest actually. Some people do write out complicated systems (usually empire/council quests).
Others just go full Story/Choice matters and don't have mechanics at all.

And then some people go for simplified systems of Roll Dice + Modifier for skill, with a simple tracking system (i.e # of fights or something) until they get better at something.

We generally base our systems off other quests or games.

@Frakir's brother I'm trying to plot out a bit of the story first, figure out the system I want to use, refining the Pokemon list selection, and reading @wdango 's stuff to steal all I can aside from his crazy evil mechanics.

Kanmusume quest.

You are destroyer Inazuma, and 5 minutes after your birth in the factory, you have been assigned as the starting and secretary ship for a new admiral.

Barely 15 minutes pass and you're already outside, on the water, with an Abyssal destroyer trying to blast your face off.

It seems that you have been assigned to a very shitty admiral indeed.

Kanmusume quest.

You are destroyer Inazuma, and 5 minutes after your birth in the factory, you have been assigned as the starting and secretary ship for a new admiral.

Barely 15 minutes pass and you're already outside, on the water, with an Abyssal destroyer trying to blast your face off.

It seems that you have been assigned to a very shitty admiral indeed.
Why not just make the comic where she was an admiral the game?

More votes, more custom plans. You should move over custom plans that are only on one site to the other too.

Of course, my quest didn't gain much traction on SB, so take what I say with some salt.

Also, a question for those who have done it before, what are the pros and cons of having a thread on both SV and SB?
I highly advise against it.

This is for crossposting:

Pros:
More readership; more votes.​

Cons:
Arguments and write-ins in one thread isn't visible to the other thread.
Breeds player resentment as this is a loss of agency to players in both threads.
More work needs to be done to maintain a mirror of the thread on two forums.
Sockpuppeting becomes harder to manage.​

Also, a question for those who have done it before, what are the pros and cons of having a thread on both SV and SB?
Pros- more players.
Cons- you get completely different plans for each site, and the players will bitch about unceasingly. It tends to annoy players, because it often happens that a plan will win that one site will have never even seen, and there will be no cross-site discussion on that plan, so they feel like their opinion was invalidated.

Hmm, makes sense, I'll avoid that, just getting 'early Quest' nerves and all.

But that's not worth stifling vote discussion and fostering voter-base annoyance.

Also, sock-puppeting is a very real fear, now that I think about it.

Bandwagoning on the first custom plan seems like more of a problem then the number of people that cheat'd in quests really. Worse is when people latch onto a person to make plans.

Bandwagoning on the first custom plan seems like more of a problem then the number of people that cheat'd in quests really. Worse is when people latch onto a person to make plans.
It's not exactly about cheating, though.

When a player has an account on both sites -- and this can be fairly common -- keeping track of votecount is a very real issue.

Truth be told nothing turns me off more than a crossposted quest. It just kills all interest I have in the quest.

Yeah that can be a real pain, for a while in the nexus quest we basically relied on @Kelenas to make all the turn plans for a good darn while. Though his plans were usually pretty good so it kinda worked out, though I do think we started to over rely on him to much by that point.

It's not exactly about cheating, though.

When a player has an account on both sites -- and this can be fairly common -- keeping track of votecount is a very real issue.

Truth be told nothing turns me off more than a crossposted quest. It just kills all interest I have in the quest.

If they vote twice, and are stupid enough to do it with the same username, it's cheating.

If you let them know I'd bet most people wouldn't vote twice. Bandwagoning/reliance on the one person who makes plan seem to be the biggest influence on quests to me.

If you're going to crosspost, as a DM you have to make the effort yourself to let the one board know what is popular on other. It is more work to do right, it's going to take more time to do turns.

It's fine if you don't want to play quests that are crossposted though, I can understand that viewpoint.

Last edited:
Yeah that can be a real pain, for a while in the nexus quest we basically relied on @Kelenas to make all the turn plans for a good darn while. Though his plans were usually pretty good so it kinda worked out, though I do think we started to over rely on him to much by that point.
You rang?
But yeah; I'm fairly familiar with this, and were/are more or less the plan-guy in a couple of other quests as well, or saw other quests where someone made the plan of action on a fairly consisten basis.
In most cases it's simply an effect of the plan(s)/voting being extremely complex. If the situation being voted on is simple, lots of people can make vote and give input. "How do we fight this guy, how do we talk with this person, where should we go to next", and so on.
If the issues/plan-requirements get more complex, people start losing interest in doing the whole plan on their own, because it requires vastly more effort. For example, take the various Dynasty-quests, and now imagine that, instead of having to choose between the various options in each action-category, the players would have to come up with the options themselves.
Same here.

And, that's pretty decisive. I'm definitely not going to do something that would automatically lose some potential voters, so that's totally scrapped.

*clinks link for Kung Fu cult.*

I had no idea so many people didn't like split threads myself. Personally, I don't mind them, but I can see why other people might complain.

Aside from the Gm actively trying to fuck you over, splitting threads is pretty much the only thing that makes me drop a quest.

Back