Created
Status
Ongoing
Watchers
Recent readers

In which a girl named Ruri Hinako discovers that she's being haunted by a stuffed animal named Kyubey.

(Subject to change as the quest progresses)
Last edited:
Chapter 1
Puella Magi Hinako Magica
Saturday, January 1st 2011

You are Ruri Hinako, just an average 15 year old girl living in Urahama City. Sure, "average" might be stretching it a bit considering you're going to be reentering school after taking online classes for the past year due to your hospitalization, and you might not have any friends here like you did in Nagaoka, but you're sure that given a little bit of time everything will go right back to normal... you think.

Ehehe. You'll be fine~.

If worst comes to worst, you still have your friends in Nagaoka that you can talk to, or heck you can just chat with your older sister for a while whenever she's not busy with her college courses.

Leaning back in your seat, you bite the end of your pencil pondering the answer to the next question on your winter break homework, which you'll have to turn in when you're transferring in on Monday. The atmosphere of your room here may not be as familiar to you as it was in your old house, but you like to think of it as a fresh start.

Your parents kept most of your stuff while they were moving to Urahama - including your magnificently comfy bed, which is so much better than the ones at Urahama General Hospital - though they're leaving it up to you as to how you're going to decorate things. Everything's still a little bit bare, but your essentials are all set up properly like the desk you're working at now, or your bed, your wardrobe, and such.

Giving yourself a quick stretch as you answer the last of the questions on your homework, you get up to make your way out of your room, but not without taking a glance at yourself in your mirror.

What you see reflected back at you is yourself, a girl of 156 cm in height with loose black hair reaching down all the way down to your mid-back. Your hair's a bit unkempt, but it's not like you're going back to school today~. You're already in your pajamas, a simple long-sleeved top and pajama pants. Your most striking feature about you - or as you've been told by your friends and family time and time again - are your striking [X] green eyes.

As you exit your room and make your way into the kitchen, you begin to make yourself some dinner. This isn't particularly unusual as your parents' work often requires them to travel. It isn't as if you don't get to see them at all; in fact they make sure to video chat with you at least once a week to make your you're doing well, and they're usually home as much as they have to travel. Actually, you're due for a video call after your first day of school on Monday, so you'll be looking forward to that!

You finish up cooking yourself a relatively simple dinner, consume it with the gusto of someone who's been working on dreaded school break homework, watch some late night anime, and then head on into bed. A simple but effective routine, if you do say so yourself!

As you go to settle into bed, your abruptly interrupted by the sight of the most adorable stuffed animal that you most certainly do not have. And it's sitting on your bed, too. What, are you some character in a horror film who's about to discover that your new house is haunted or something like that?!

Hello! You start from the cheerful voice that pops up in your head. My name is Kyubey, and I'm here to offer you the chance to become a magical girl in exchange for any wish you desire!

... Eh?

...... Eh?

......... Eh?

Kyubey tilts his head to the side and his tail sways behind him as you continue to stare at the creature before you.

[ ] What are the color of your eyes?
[ ] How will you style your hair tomorrow?
[ ] How do you respond?
-[ ] HOW DID YOU GET INTO MY HOUSE?!
-[ ] Run away from the obviously haunted and/or cursed stuffed animal that probably used to belong to some previous resident of your new house
-[ ] Is this a dream? Did you fall asleep doing your homework again?
-[ ] Who are you?
-[ ] What are you?
-[ ] ... Make a wish? (Write-in)
-[ ] Write-in
Hello, and welcome to this new quest I'm starting up! Before anything else, I should probably specify that this is my first quest, and I'm probably not the greatest of writers around. Though I fully intend to run this quest as best as I can, this is very much an exercise for me to become more acclimated towards writing regularly and to improve upon said writing.

Why PMMM in particular? Well, I've pretty much read through most of the PMMM quests on SV of any significant length that I could find, and most of them were started/made between like 2013 and 2016, so I thought I might as well make one in the flavor of those made then (such as the free-form wish mechanic and such things).

You're not getting a full character customization vote, but you are getting one for the eye color of the protagonist (which usually matches the color of one's Soul Gem and affects the color scheme of one's Puella Magi outfit), as well as her de facto hair style until she/the voters deign to change it. As a freebie - and since Hinako likely won't think to ask it IC without some mental gymnastics - Hinako's Potential is decidedly Above Average.

The title is subject to change, though for simplicity's sake we'll be using "Puella Magi Hinako Magica" for now.

All-in-all, I hope you all will enjoy my attempts at writing, and hopefully I can live up to any expectations any of you may have for this quest.

Last edited:
Mechanics
Potential differs between magical girl to magical girl, and largely determines one's capacity to store Grief. Outliers exist outside of this scale, but usually not "in nature" so to say (e.g. in Madoka Magica, Homura artificially increased Madoka's Potential with every loop).

Potential Capacity
Poor: 500
Below Average: 750
Average: 1000
Above Average: 1500
Excellent: 2000

It is possible - and quite likely - that each magical girl won't fall on the exact values averaged by the scale, such as a girl with Average Potential having 1200 capacity, or an Excellent capacity girl having a capacity of 2350. One's Wish can have an effect on this.

Kyubey doesn't typically target girls with Poor Potential unless they explicitly ask him to contract them, or in order to "support the local ecosystem" and "aid the other local magical girls".
Much like a Soul Gem's capacity for Grief, a Grief Seed has a certain amount of capacity for storing Grief before it begins to rehatch. How long it takes to hatch largely varies between Witch to Witch. When a Grief Seed hatches, the Witch is reborn anew and receives a not insignificant power boost (probably around a tier or two increase in rank).

I will be rolling a d100 per Witch you encounter to determine it's difficulty level and the amount of capacity for Grief it's Grief Seed will have. You do not need to try and kill every single Witch you encounter, and if you're already within a Labyrinth you could always attempt to escape.

Difficulty Level To Grief Capacity
1-10 = 1000
11-20 = 1500
21-30 = 2000
31-40 = 2500
41-50 = 3000
51-60 = 3500
61-70 = 4000
71-80 = 4500
81-90 = 5000
91-95 = 5500
96-99 = 6000
100 = 10000
*subject to change
TBD, won't be too overly number/chance heavy but rather will rely on established skill. Chances are if you lack the established skill, or if things happen outside of your control such as in the case of an ambush without sensory powers, you'll have to roll.

Last edited:
Character Sheets

Name: Ruri Hinako
Height: 156 cm
Eye Color: Green
Hair Color: Black
Birthplace: Nagaoka City
School: Urahama Middle School

Soul Gem: Green sunburst gem located in the center of her collarbone
-Ring Form: Silver ring on left hand middle finger with strange symbols on it, green sunburst marking on fingernail
Weapon: Very intricate short silver rod
Wish: "I wish that I could create hope and inspire others, and always be useful to them, no matter the situation!"
Magical Girl Outfit: Flowing intricate emerald robes embroidered with unknown but beautiful designs. A sunburst is present on the front of the hood. Embroidery and the sunburst alternate between the colors white and black. Thigh-high white stockings are hidden underneath the robes, as well as short green ankle-strap heels.
Condition: Healthy
Soul Gem: 212/1750
Grief Seeds: Birdcage Witch (1015/2000), Easel Witch (143/1500)
Wish Magic: Hope (effects partially known)
-Magical Intuition: Can intuitively determine what somebody needs in order to be useful to them. Works best with other magical girls due to the fact that magical girls are born of Hope. Passive.
-Hope Bestowal: Can bestow Hope intentionally. Somewhat passive.

Puella Magi Body: Body and reflexes are enhanced to superhuman levels; can use this even when untransformed (1 Grief/hour)

Pain Nullification
: Passively turned down for optimal ratio between combat effectiveness and survival instincts
-Complete Pain Nullification: Can manually completely turn off her sense of pain, which could be a good thing and a bad thing

Healing: As a Puella Magi, Hinako can use her magic to heal herself and others. It is very costly to use and variable dependent on the severity of the wounds in question.

Magic Sense II: Using her Soul Gem, Hinako can detect the magical patterns of Magical Girls and Witches. She can sense magical phenomenon within a small area around her at her current level, but can otherwise follow "trails" of magical energy left behind by a particular Magical Girl or Witch.

Weapon: A very intricate short silver rod that seems to create some effects when used with magic, and glows within a Witch's Labyrinth
-Create Intricate Rod I: Hinako can create another copy of her weapon using magic (20 Grief per use)
-Intricate Rod Telekinesis I:
Hinako can telekinetically control her intricate rod using her magic. (10 Grief/minute)

-Incomplete Formations:
Created when Hinako doesn't fully form the energy on her rod. Will dissipate shortly after they're made
--Magic Shot: Shoots a small emerald orb of magic at a target, seems reluctant to leave the rod (2 Grief per use)
--Beam Sword:
An emerald beam of magical energy stuck on the rod, created when Hinako tried to shoot a beam of magical energy out of her weapon (20 Grief per use)
--Round Shield:
By flattening out the energy collected at the end of her rod, Hinako can create a barrier using her magic in the shape of a round shield. (Cost variable)
---Small Round Shield:
Around a foot in diameter, it resembles a buckler shield (10 Grief per use)
---Medium Round Shield:
Around three feet in diameter, it resembles a classic shield (40 Grief per use)
---Large Round Shield:
Around five feet in diameter, it resembles a round version of a tower shield (100 Grief per use)

-Completed Formations:
Created when Hinako fully forms the energy on her rod
--Nanako's Bladed Whip: Hinako can recreate the magical girl weapon of Kagome Nanako and use it in battle (50 Grief per use, costs 25 additional Grief to maintain/minute)
Bladed Projectile Throwing II: Due to various instances of Hinako successfully throwing a bladed weapon to strike against a target, she now is somewhat proficient at throwing bladed weaponry.
Combat Training I: Due to training with her abilities in preparation for combat, Hinako is now much more able to to use her abilities in an active combat scenario.
Dodging I: Due to training her reflexes while being attacked by a combatant, Hinako is now much more capable of dodging blows in combat.

Name: Kagome Nanako
Height: 159 cm
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Very light blue
Birthplace: ?
School: ?

Soul Gem: Blue five-petaled gem located on the left side of her head, holding together one of her twintails
-Ring Form: Silver ring on left hand middle finger with strange symbols on it, blue five-petaled marking on fingernail
Weapon: Bladed Whip
Wish: ?
Magical Girl Outfit: A blue short-sleeved dress with puffy sleeves. The skirt parts near the bottom into five petals. Has thin white heeled boots that reach to mid-calf.

Last edited:
Chapter 2
[X] What are the color of your eyes? Green
[X] Let the hair falls where it falls, so long as it stays away from your face it's fine
[X] How do you respond?
-[X] What are you?

You stare into the glistening red eyes of this strange telepathic bunny-cat creature, and you come to a decision. Perhaps you got the genre wrong, and Kyubey really is just a harmless magical girl mascot? A dozen different questions flitter through your mind, but the main one that is really stimulating your curiosity is...

"What exactly are you?"

Kyubey shifts a bit in acknowledgement of your words.

Why, I'm a Messenger of Magic of course!

You really shouldn't be surprised, you really shouldn't be, yet the prospect of Magic being real is too much of a whammy to just brush off. The very thought of it has you widening your eyes a bit at the prospect.

"N-no, no, I mean- just... y'know how in most magical girl anime the magical girls have this cute foreign-looking mascot creature?" Kyubey looks at you curiously before bobbing his head. "What I want to know is what you are, physically I mean. Like, are you some kind of bunny and cat hybrid?"

Kyubey just tilts his head to the side.

Hm, you know I don't really get asked that question a whole lot. The truth is, this form isn't based off of any creature in particular. It's just pretty convenient to be like this.

As if to demonstrate his point, his ear loop... things move around along with his long ears and they start making a variety of gestures.

Kyubey then hops off of your bed to take a few steps towards you before sitting down on his hind legs.

Getting back to what I asked you before, would you be willing to become a magical girl to protect humanity from the evils of this world? It would be a great deal of help to have you in the area, and in return you'll get to make a Wish for anything you want!

This is a bit too much.

I understand that this is overwhelming.

Oh, did you say that out loud?

You may think things through for a bit before making your decision. However, while you're doing that, why don't I tell you a bit about the enemy of all magical girls?

"A-actually, would you mind explaining a bit more about that 'Messenger of Magic' thing too while you're at it?" Agh, why'd he have to do this when you were going to bed, you're exhausted. This is a bit much to handle, but then again, Magic.

Why of course! I shall start with that then. When I say I am a Messenger of Magic, it means that I am one of the ones that grant the power of Magic to girls with a sufficient amount of Potential. While I can use some amount of Magic myself, it will always pale in comparison to the Magic of a proper magical girl! For instance, by myself I wouldn't last all that long up against a Witch, the enemy of all magical girls.

"... So what you're saying is that you need to grant Magic to girls in order to fight these... Witches, right? What would happen if no one fought these Witches?"

Kyubey droops his head a bit at your last question.

Well, if no magical girls fought the Witches, then I'm afraid that humanity would be doomed. You see, Witches aren't visible to people without any Magic... at least at first. What Witches do is that they hide away in their barriers - their Labyrinths - and they send out their familiars to kidnap innocent people and bring them back to the Witch. There, those people are killed and it's often that they're recorded as suicides and other unfortunate accidents to the rest of the world.

The more people a Witch consumes, the stronger it'll get, and if one of it's familiars were to consume enough people then it would hatch into a copy of the original Witch, forever spreading it's negativity across the world until nothing is left but Witches.

Luckily that isn't the case for the most part, as there are enough magical girls around to keep them in check before they spread too far and wide. That is the sacred duty of a magical girl!

Kyubey give it a bit of time to sink in... Wow, you had no idea that this was all going on without anyone the wiser! And from what you can guess from the way Kyubey worded his explanation, it's as if that though magical girls can stop the spread on a large scale, it might not be true on the smaller one... Just how many innocent people have been killed by these Witches, you wonder? The very thought of it sickens you.

Do you have any more questions? Or maybe... do you have an answer on if you want to enter a contract with me to become a magical girl?

[ ] Yes, you do have more questions
-[ ] Write-in
[ ] Make a wish and become a magical girl
-[ ] Write-in
[ ] Don't ask any more questions and don't make a wish for now
[ ] Write-in

Alright, let's see if we can't squeeze in another chapter or three today, assuming the votes roll on in. I'm a little surprised myself that I managed to get all of this from that simple, single question, but hey it worked out.

Do note that deciding not to make a Wish doesn't disclude you from becoming a magical girl later on.

Last edited:
Chapter 3
[X] Yes, you do have more questions
-[X] "Why me specifically? You mentioned that you choose girls with high potential, am I really that special?"
-[X] "Actually, are there any other Magical Girls in the city? I don't know if the two of us alone are enough to protect a whole city, especially if you can't beat Witches by yourself."
-[X] "Could I make a wish to get rid of all the Witches? Is something as major as that even possible to wish for?"
-[X] "How does your wish granting power work? Do you have rules or restrictions, like no bringing back the dead or taking over the world?"
-[X] "What are Witches anyway? Do you know where they come from?"
-[X] "What kind of powers would I have if I became a Magical Girl?"
-[X] "Other than Witches is there anything else we'll have to fight, like Dark Magical Girls, secret government conspiracies or aliens?"

Kyubey peers at you while he awaits your answer. This is a whole lot to take in, like a whole lot. How else would one react to finding out how so many innocent people were sentenced to death while you and the rest of the world languished in ignorance. What if it happened to someone you cared about, one of your old friends, your sister, or your parents? Would you even know about it?

The self-proclaimed magical girl mascot goes back on all fours and hops back onto your bed, snuggling into the blankets with a look of contentment and closed eyes. It makes you want to pet him, it's so adorable... but onto that later. First you're going to try and piece things together for yourself before jumping head-first into becoming a magical girl. Not that you could live with yourself if you were responsible for anything bad happening to your loved ones by doing nothing.

"... Um, Kyubey?"

Kyubey opens his eyes to look at you once more, a faint sparkle shining within his red orbs.

Have you come to a decision, Ruri Hinako?

You feel bad for wasting so much of Kyubey's valuable time when he could be out there helping people... but you have to ask him some more questions, for your own peace of mind when coming to an eventual decision at least.

"N-not yet, sorry." Kyubey grows visibly more downcast at this. "Just... why me? You mentioned something about giving magic to girls with potential, am I really that special?"

Kyubey lightens up a bit

Ah, of course you are! Not every girl has as much Potential for Magic as you do, so I just know that you could become a great magical girl!

You're cheeks flush a bit at the praise. You're not used to being special, mostly just being "Itsumi's little sister", or "the daughter of the Ruris". Even with your old friends back in Nagaoka, you were only able to meet through your sister's influence. Being told that you're special, that you have something that others don't... it makes you feel needed. Mama, Papa, and Itsumi always had to do everything for you, after all...

"O-oh, thanks," you smoothly say as you try to recompose yourself. Kyubey uncurls himself and sits himself back down on his hind legs, tail swishing almost hypnotically behind him.

"Uh, actually, are there any other magical girls in the city? If I became a magical girl, I'm not sure if I could protect the whole city by myself... I still have to go to school and take care of myself, right?"

Kyubey take this time to scratch behind his ear with his leg in the most adorable manner- and you'll stop this train of thought, you can't let yourself get distracted from such an important decision.

There are other magical girls in Urahama City that I'm aware of, but nowhere near as many as I'd like. In fact, you'd be doing me a huge favor by becoming a magical girl, otherwise it may take quite some time for me to come across another girl of your Potential again before a Witch causes trouble!

Huh, you guess that would make sense that there'd be less magical girls here considering how new Urahama is as a city.

"Hey Kyubey, do you know if there are any magical girls that live nearby me? It would be really nice to have someone I could rely on if I become a magical girl! I mean, what if I need help to defeat a Witch?" Kyubey cocks his head to the side as if deep in thought.

Hm... there are a few relatively nearby, though I wouldn't want to intrude on their privacy by telling you their personal information. Tell you what, if you become a magical girl, I could try and introduce you to them if you'd like!

A wide smile breaks out on your face. "That'd be great, Kyubey!" Honestly, it's a relief to know that there are a couple of other magical girls nearby that are preventing Witches from hurting anyone, even if you don't end up becoming a magical girl in the end.

Though that gets you thinking back on the whole offer. Your wish...

"So what's stopping me from wishing all the Witches away, or something like that? That way there'd be no reason for anyone to get hurt!"

Ah yes, that's a common enough pitfall when it comes to Wishes. You see, the power of a magical girl's Wish is dependent on their Potential, so wishing for something like the removal of all Witches wouldn't work all that well. At best, some Witches within a certain area might be eliminated, however only a girl with unparalleled Potential throughout all of history could manage a Wish such as you're proposing.

Honestly, it'd be more efficient to Wish for something that you want personally, as from what I've observed magical girls that try and Wish for something grand without the Potential for it end up being relatively weak by magical girl standards.

Oh, that's too bad. It does make sense though, otherwise you're sure that someone else would've thought of it and used their Wish on that already. Speaking of...

"So I can't wish for anything too world changing... Are there any other rules or restrictions on wishes that I should know about? Can you bring back the dead, or wish to rule the world or crazy stuff like that?"

I'm afraid not, bringing back the dead is beyond the purview of a Wish. Your latter example is much the same as wishing for all the Witches to be dead, largely unattainable outside of a girl's Potential. Other than that though, you really can Wish for just about anything else! As long as it's not too world changing with your amount of Potential, of course!

Oh, so it's not as bad as you thought. Just don't spread your wish too thin, then! Then again, people probably don't pester Kyubey with so many questions before deciding like you have. You can be such a nuisance at times...

"... What about Witches? Do you know what they are, and where they come from?" You can't imagine that they're anything good, especially with the horrible things that they do... Didn't Kyubey mention that they eat people?!

Witches are born from the despair of humanity, and the forms they take are quite unnatural as well. Why, you could think of them as monstrous amalgamations of ideas taken form physically speaking, who hide behind their barriers that separates them from the world. It's why they need to create familiars in order to have them lure people into their Labyrinths.

Huh, you probably could have guessed that, though that's good to know. Makes sense that literal monsters would be born from something as horrible as all of humanity's despair, and also Magic apparently you think.

"I-is there anything else that I might have to fight? Like dark magical girls, secret government agencies, or aliens or something? Are there any magical girls that become evil?"

Hm, you shouldn't have to worry about any secret government organizations, as I make sure to conceal the existence of magical girls from such groups. It wouldn't do for them to weaponize magical girls in their wars and for their agendas, after all! Likewise, you shouldn't need to worry about any extraterrestrial life.

Kyubey shuffles himself a bit and stares directly at you quite seriously, if you're interpreting that correctly.

While there aren't such a thing as a "dark magical girls", magical girls are still human. They can turn to selfishness and to evil just as any other person can, sadly. Most of the time, this happens long after becoming a magical girl, but sometimes they can slip through the cracks if they're particularly warped, such as those you would label as sociopaths or psychopaths.

Kyubey hops off the bed and rubs himself against your leg as if to comfort you, much like a cat would.

But don't worry about that! The worst cases are very much few and far between, and most magical girls that fall along that path simply tend to care more about themselves than others, indulging in selfishness and shirking their duties rather than going out to do anything deliberately evil.

Oh... you guess not everything could be like your magical girl anime. It's still a huge let down though.

"What about me, then? I-I mean, if I become a magical girl. What would I be able to do?"

Kyubey finishes comforting you and sits down on the floor in front of you.

A magical girl's abilities can vary wildly from magical girl to magical girl, though they do share certain abilities. Some examples of this would be the enhancement of the magical girl's body so that they could face off against the threat of the Witches.

There's magical healing, though it can be very costly on your magic to use unless your wish is related to healing. Enchantment is another common ability, which allows a magical girl to imbue their power into something, though the resulting effects can vary from magical girl to magical girl outside of a few basic applications.

And of course, a magical girl would receive a weapon unique only to them! There are many more abilities that a magical girl could achieve, however those are the most obvious ones.

You glance at your alarm clock and see that it's 11 PM. Ugh, you really should get to sleep, shouldn't you?

It's getting late, isn't it?

Oh, he must've seen you looking at the time. You yawn. Kyubey must be getting tired too.

So, have you decided on whether or not you want to become a magical girl? I'm going to have to go soon to address some other matters, so what do you think?

[ ] Do you have any more questions?
[ ] Make a Wish and become a magical girl
-[ ] What is your Wish? (Write-in)
[ ] Don't become a magical girl for now, you're sure Kyubey will understand
[ ] Write-in
So yeah, you asked Kyubey some questions, and you got some Kyubey answers.

You're a little bit on a time-table, unless you want to delay things by not becoming a magical girl for now (or ever). Though accidents tend to happen around potential contractees, I'm sure everything will end up just fine~. :)

Last edited:
Urahama City
Because the discussion has stopped, I think it would be better to discuss on what we want our protagonist to do after making the wish, or deciding to not do this today.
It may help to decide what to vote for.
In light of this, perhaps I should explain a bit more about Urahama City.

Urahama City is located in the Niigata Prefecture of Japan, just west of Nagaoka City (which is the second largest city in the prefecture just after the capital city of Niigata). Urahama is around 700 square kilometers in size and houses around 200,000 people if not more as it's constantly growing. It's style could safely be said to be the science-flavored version of Mitakihara, with the aesthetics to go along with it (it ain't no Academy City, but they got fancy new smart roads and everything so that's neat). Due to it's less artsy focus, don't expect any glass classrooms anytime soon by the way.

Urahama also places a value on the environment, so it also has city policies in place that support the growth of plants and trees all about the city - not in any significant number as to obscure everything or being overgrown, but common enough that there are plenty of rooftops (particularly taller buildings) that house a tree or two as well as some number of bushes/flowers/a garden.

As a relatively newly developed city, Urahama is housed to plenty of enterprising businesses both small and large, so one will never find themselves without some form of eatery or place of entertainment of a good number of cultures; this includes state of the art hospitals like the one Hinako was transferred to after her parents moved to Urahama from Nagaoka. With the policies in place, they also try to encourage environmental saving methods while penalizing businesses that would produce harmful waste to the environment; as a result, their industrial district is unsurprisingly lacking, so you probably can't commandeer an abandoned warehouse for power testing as people are wont to do in powered settings.

Urahama has great STEM colleges and preparatory schools, though Hinako will be going to Urahama Middle School instead, transferring in as a 3rd year after winter break.

Right now Hinako is living in a decently sized home - pretty minimalistic/modernistic looking but in an aesthetic way - but nothing to write to home about. It's still a pretty good home, all things considered. Where her home is located is a relatively nice residential district in the north-east section of the city kind of nearing the middle.

(Will add more or reorganize things as it becomes relevant)

Last edited:
Chapter 4
[X] Make a Wish and become a magical girl
-[X] "I wish I could create hope and inspire others, and always be useful to them, no matter the situation!"
wins!

While you still have many questions, you don't want to take up too much of Kyubey's time. Who knows how many magical girls he has to help out in the city, while he's taking the time to indulge in your curiosity.

"Um..." Kyubey continues to stare hopefully at you as you think.

You think long and hard about what to wish for, with many ideas popping in and out of your mind. You could just wish to be a magical girl, but while that might make you more powerful as a magical girl, you can't be too sure. And with an opportunity like this, you have to be sure.

You could wish to protect your friends and family from all harm... but would you have enough Potential for that? If a strong enough Witch could possibly defeat you, then could a Witch bypass protections made by you? You aren't certain, and that worries you. Would that be a waste of a wish?

As you ponder all these thoughts in your head, an idea begins to form. You've always wanted to help, you know that. Maybe... maybe you could use your wish to help you be more useful to others? Kyubey did say that using your wish on something you personally want could result in you being a better magical girl, so perhaps this would be for the best? But do you deserve to use your wish on just yourself after all your loved ones have done for you?

"I..."

Kyubey sighs in your head.

Ruri Hinako, it's okay if you can't decide right this instant... I understand that this is a lot to take in! I'm sorry to have to pressure you about this, however could you please give me an answer? I really do have to get going if you decide not to become a magical girl tonight, as I'll have to try and find someone else in the area to help put a stop to the local Witches before they get too out of hand.

Kyubey's voice has a reassuring tone to it through all this, but all it does is make you feel worse about yourself. He's been nothing but helpful, yet you can't even give him an answer on whether or not you'll become a magical girl tonight. You could put it off, sure, however some part of you doesn't want this opportunity to slip away from you. If you let this opportunity go, will you wake up tomorrow thinking it was nothing but a dream?

"I-I'm sorry Kyubey. But I think I have a Wish, if you're still offering..." Once more, Kyubey perks up and stares attentively at you, tail swishing in time behind him.

This is your moment of truth, you suppose. You reword your wish in your head countless times before you come to one that resonates within you deeply. This is it. You steel yourself and stare into Kyubey's exotic-looking ruby eyes and prepare to tell him your wish.

"I wish that I could create hope and inspire others, and always be useful to them, no matter the situation!"

Something clicks within you as you recite this to Kyubey, and Kyubey himself takes this opportunity to jump up and reach his long ears towards your chest, and-

emerald green light flashes throughout the room, an unseen wind rushes all around you, and you can do nothing but stare at the ceiling as it becomes smaller and smaller, you feel lighter and you feel like you're losing something before it settles back into place and

Thank you Ruri Hinako, for your wish has successfully reduced entropy!

-you open your eyes. Why are you on the floor? D-did Kyubey grant your wish? You look from side to side and see Kyubey sitting calmly next to you, as if awaiting your reaction. Sitting up, something clinks as it falls from your chest onto the floor.

Wrapping your fingers around it, you bring it up to you and take a good look at the mystery object. It's... it's...

It's beautiful.

What sits in your hand is a softly glowing emerald gem wrapped in intricate golden filigree. On it lies the symbol of a sunburst both on the top of the gem, as well as inlaid near the bottom. What is this, you wonder?

That, Hinako, is your Soul Gem!

As if reading your mind once more, Kyubey tells you this.

"M-my Soul... Gem?" The words sound foreign, yet seems so right when it comes to describing what lays in your hand before you.

That's right! A Soul Gem is a gem birthed when a girl makes a contract with a Messenger of Magic such as myself. It is proof that one is a magical girl, the source of her magical power!

You continue to stare at your Soul Gem in almost a daze. This is the source of your powers? You have magic now?! How do you use it?

As if reacting to your intent, an emerald green light bathes your vision as you feel your Soul Gem leaving your hand. When you come to, you find that you're not wearing what you were wearing before, yet it's just as comfortable if not more so than your pajamas.

Standing back up - steading yourself in the process - you look towards your mirror and see what could only be described as a magical girl, or some kind of priestess you suppose.

You're dressed in flowing and intricate green robes that just about completely cover your form, which includes a hood to cover your head in. A white sunburst outlined in black is present on the front of the hood, and you can't help but to trace our fingers along the metallic filigree that makes up its form.

Flowing down your robes from the sunburst are dozens of strange yet beautifully embroidered designs, also in white and black but without the filigree. You can feel the thigh-high socks - stockings? - that you're now wearing underneath your robes, as well as the short green ankle strap heels that you're standing on. Despite wearing heels it feels completely natural to you, as if you could run a marathon in these things without missing your step.

... Wait a moment, what are you holding in your right hand? You hadn't noticed earlier as it just felt right. Bringing it up so that you could see what you're holding, you find that you're looking at some kind of silvery... rod thing. It can't be much longer than half your forearm, honestly. Is this supposed to be your magical girl weapon? It's also just as intricate as the rest of your outfit and how your Soul Gem was.

Speaking of, you grasp at the gleaming emerald gem that's inlaid into the center of your collarbone, much bigger than when it was in it's prior form. You can't physically take it out, yet you intuitively know that you could return it to it's ovular-shaped form at any point without ending your transformation. Dropping your hands, you turn back to Kyubey, who seems to have been patiently waiting for you.

"This... this is amazing!" You really do feel like you could take on the world like this, but you know that's probably a bad attitude to have. Instead, you bask in the feelings of the gift of magic Kyubey granted you. You... are a magical girl now!

Why of course it is! Congratulations Hinako, you have become a magical girl!

You can't help but smile widely at his statement.

There are things you should be aware of, though. The most important thing is that as you use your magic, your gem will become darker. If it gets too dark, you'll lose your abilities as a magical girl!

You can't help but gasp a little at that. Okay, okay, you have got to be careful about using your magic then. But if that's the case, then how do you-

In order to restore and purify your Soul Gem, you have to use use what's called a Grief Seed, which is what Witches drop upon being defeated. It will clean your gem for a while until it gets filled up, which is when you'll have to get rid of it otherwise it may rehatch into a Witch and become stronger than before!

-oh, so that's how it works. Huh. Also another foreign term which seems just right. Weird. It looks like these Grief Seeds are like non-rechargeable batteries for your Soul Gem, and that you should get rid of them if they get too full. Seems simple enough, you think.

If you ever need to get rid of a Grief Seed, you can always contact me telepathically like how I am talking to you now! You can do it anytime and anywhere, and it's yet another ability a magical girl naturally possesses. In fact, if you ever team up with another magical girl, you could communicate to them like this as well!

"Oh, that's good! Let me give it a try..." You think really hard, before letting up a bit and letting up a bit and trying to do it in a way that feels natural.

... Like this? you telepathically relay.

Yep!

Wow, this is a useful ability!

You know, if you'd like I could spend some time tonight helping you hunt a Witch. You should be able to pick up on a Witch's trail using your Soul Gem, though I'd be happy to guide you through your first Witch hunt!

Hm... maybe you should? It would be nice to have Kyubey showing you the ropes before going to bed, and you have to admit you're quite excited to use your magic for the first time! It is rather late, but what with having gained magical powers you feel like you'll have the energy for this potential outing.

What should you do?

[ ] Go out on a Witch hunt with Kyubey
-[ ] Do you try to do anything special with your magic while hunting this Witch, or should you just let Kyubey tell you what to do? (Write-in)
[ ] Don't go on a Witch hunt tonight and go to bed
[ ] Do you have any questions for Kyubey before you go on a Witch hunt or go to bed
[ ] (Write-in)
So fun fact, both "Soul Gem" and "Grief Seed" is pronounced in English in Madoka Magica, which is why no one ever questions Coobie about the whole "Soul" part of "Soul Gem".

Also in the future, assume that those two terms are always spoken in English as I'm probably not going to italics them past this chapter.

Last edited:
Chapter 5
[X] Ask Kyubey if he can introduce you to any friendly, more experienced Magical Girls in the area who would be willing to help you on your first hunt.
-[X] If there aren't, ask when they'll be available and how to contact them. After all, what's a magical girl without a team?
[X] Go hunting, either with Kyubey or with another Magical Girl, depending on if anyone else is available.
-[X] Experiment with your powers on the way there, being careful with how much magic you use. See what your instincts tell you and ask how to learn what you can do more efficiently.
-[X] Let Kyubey or whoever else accompanies you take the lead.

[Soul Gem: 0/1750]

"That'd be great, Kyubey!"

You're really excited to try out your magic, even if it does come with the caveat of fighting presumably scary monsters. It's magic after all.

Excellent!

Kyubey takes this time to hop onto your shoulder, hanging off of it effortlessly. Oh, he really is cuddly, who'd have thought?

"Ah, Kyubey, could you maybe try and introduce me to any friendly and more experienced magical girls in the area? Any that might be willing to help me on my first Witch hunt, I mean. It would be nice to have another magical girl around in case I need help, right?"

Kyubey rubs his head affectionately against your shoulder and responds.

Why, of course! Just give me a moment while I check with the local magical girls to see if any of them are still awake and willing.
Magical Girl Luck Roll: 21
After a few moments of concentration, Kyubey looks back at you.

I'm afraid that there aren't any other magical girls available, I'm sorry.

... Oh, that's a real shame. And you were really looking forward to meeting a magical girl senpai too!

"I-It's alright Kyubey, thanks for checking anyway!" You always have needed to be taken care of after all... maybe this is for the best?

No problem! Now let's go find ourselves a Witch!

"Um, Kyubey, before that, could you tell me when they're next available?"

Hm, I could arrange a meeting some time in the future for sure, but I can't give you any personal information you must understand.

"Ah, okay then!"

Perhaps you could try and meet one of them tomorrow, or sometime after school on Monday?

Still dressed in your magical girl regalia, you make your way out of your bedroom, grab your house key, and exit your new home locking up behind you. Now, where to put your key...

Oh, your robes comes with pockets, neat! You slide your key into one of them and make your way out onto the streets below. As this is a housing district, there isn't exactly any traffic at this time of day - or rather night you suppose. Streetlights bathe the roads in light. You think you can make out a glint coming from one of the streetlights.
???: 14

As you make your way past the sidewalk and onto the road, your footsteps leave a temporary trail of pixelated light that makes you giggle at the novelty of it. Almost skipping down the road as you walk, you turn to Kyubey who has comfortably positioned himself on you shoulder aided by your very comfy robes.

"So... how do I know if I've found a Witch? You said something about using my Soul Gem to... follow it's trail, right?" You caress you Soul Gem with your left hand as you ask this.

That is correct. Once you've gotten near enough to a Witch, or a path where a Witch had recently passed through, your Soul Gem should lead you right to it!

"Oh, okay!"

A solid fifteen minutes pass in near silence as you make your way towards the city. You can see the city skyline sparkle like stars ahead of you, and you end up playing with the smart road by tracing designs with your feet eventually. Pixelated indicators help mark civilian crossings and road markings, you notice.

During this time, you can't help but wonder what you can do with your magic. Most magical girl shows put a focus on willpower and instinct, right? You try to focus really hard at a nearby wall, but nothing happens.

... Maybe you're going about this all wrong. Perhaps you should start with something a bit more obvious, like your silvery rod... thingie!

Bringing it up to level, you focus your will into it... and that obviously isn't enough. Maybe if you...

This kind of looks like a handle, right? Maybe you could shoot magic from it... or something?

Aiming it up in the air, you try and push some magic into the handle and out the end, and to your surprise-
energy coalesces and gathers through the rod and near the tip, and it seems almost reluctant to leave the tip of the rod but with your will
-a near silent small ball of emerald green light shoots off into the night sky. Kyubey just idly watches all of this without much of a reaction at all.

[Soul Gem: 2/1750]

You can't help but give out a little *squee* at that, much to your embarrassment. You did it!
Witch Roll: Coobie Interrupt
All of a sudden, your Soul Gem starts blinking and a trail of ethereal green sunbursts start gathering towards a nearby alleyway. This must be the Witch! You quickly make your way down the alleyway, dodge around an unfortunately placed metal trash bin, and find yourself in front of... something.

You can't quite see the... barrier, you think it was called, however it seems to be almost pulsing in time with something. As you reach your fingers towards it, it bursts open showing you a scene of angrily flapping silhouettes of what appear to be birds against a roiling background of intertwining colors.

Don't worry, all you have to do is step into the barrier and you'll be brought into the Witch's Labyrinth! Most Witches don't have anything particularly dangerous in their Labyrinths right at the entrance, so you should be fine.

Hesitating a bit, you steel yourself and step completely into the Witch's Labyrinth and what is this?!

You fall(?) through some rickety wooden gates which open as you pass through them, surrounded by a background of random colors roiling in the void(?). You can almost see a countdown on the gates as you pass through this fever dream of a Labyrinth before you blink and you find yourself on your feet in the weirdest place you've ever been.

Surrounding you is a pathway, at your sides are floating panels that depict flapping birds trying to break out of them as if they were right out of a zombie movie, and you hear the ambient noise of high-pitched laughter. This is so freaky! Between those panels is nothing but the rainbow-like colors that continue to shift in this dimension.

Walking down the path before you - which you find to be made up of large colorful stones - you encounter what must be your first familiar.

It's a horrific thing, you think. It's a horrible amalgamation of a giant bobblehead-like plastoid head that bobs with each of it's movements with a malignant expression on it's unmoving face, with the body of a giant stick that splits two ways towards the ground as well as the multiple layered arms of scissors.

So like any reasonable person would do in this situation, you scream, look away, shut your eyes, and blindly shoot at the thing.

[Soul Gem: 10/1750]

You hear a few dull impacts before finally a loud crash emanates from the familiar. Opening your eyes, you see that it's in smoking pieces and appears to be dissipating into flecks of dark energy.

... Oh, that wasn't too bad!

Nice job! That was one of this Witch's familiars. Familiars aren't usually that strong, though they can make up for that in numbers. It's quite fortunate that you managed to catch this one all by itself!

Nodding your head in acknowledgement, you bring your rod back up to you again. Okay, you owe this thing an apology, this is a great weapon! You just don't know how to use it yet... probably.

What you didn't notice before, however, was that it was now glowing with a soft silver light as in reaction to something. Huh, strange.

Hm, maybe you can do more with this thing than just shooting with it? You step up to the dissipating familiar and try jabbing it at the stick part of it, and to your surprise it almost burns through the familiar with great ease. Well, you say burn, but it isn't really lighting anything on fire or anything. But still!

As you make your way deeper into the Labyrinth, you run into a group of three familiars loitering about that seem to be in deep conversation with one another. In fact, you can hear strange sounds emanating from these things that you don't like at all.

And so this time, you aim ahead with your rod towards the unsuspecting familiars with your eyes open and you shoot at them.

Your first shot misses, and so does your second, but finally a loud bang sounds off the walls as one of the familiars falls apart in a splash of emerald light. This seems to bring the other two out of their stupor, as they screech and rush towards you with little abandon.

You fumble a bit at the ferocity of their approach before continuing to shoot at them.

One, two, the second one hit! The last familiar is nearly upon you and you try shoot at it but you miss.

Look out!

Looking up you can see the familiar prepare to backhand you with one of it's scissor hands and you drop and roll away in a panic. Your heart is beating rapidly as you see that the spot where you once were is cleaved into. T-that was scary!

Thumbing your weapon, you shakily aim it at the thing while still lying prone on the ground and you fire off another three shots, the second one hitting the familiar and taking it out.

[Soul Gem: 28/1750]

Still slightly shaking, you sit up and try to catch your breath, your adrenaline not exactly helping in this situation. Y-you won! But you nearly got hurt! What, and you think Onee-chan hadn't gotten hurt while protecting you all the time while you were growing up?

Kyubey gives a sigh of relief as he comforts you by rubbing his head against your cheek.

Well done! A magical girl's first fight is always a trying one, but once you get the hang of it you should be dispatching familiars left and right in no time!

Not exactly the thing you wanted to hear, to be honest, but it's still reassuring and you reach up your left hand to pat Kyubey on the head as if reminding yourself that you aren't alone in this scary place.

[Soul Gem: 35/1750]

You wipe your slightly watery eyes and stand back up. You hope that there aren't any more of those things in here, but if only you were so lucky.

Making your way even deeper, you find your path starts to widen, and before you know it you encounter another group of familiars while rounding a corner. This time there's twelve of them. You quickly hide back behind that corner and try to formulate a plan.

Okay, okay, okay. So you can shoot tiny magical bullets at those things, but your bullets can take them out in just about one shot, you think. You know that you won't be able to take out all of them before they swarm you, so you have to come up with some other kind of attack to take them out.

Alright, so what do you know about laser beams? M-maybe you could make a continuous beam instead of just shooting at them individually? That might work!

You relay your thoughts to Kyubey telepathically to get a second opinion.

Hm... that might work! I must admit every magical girl's abilities vary quite a bit from one another, so I couldn't tell you what you can do. I would however recommend that you test this out by going back a ways away in order to make sure that it will work as intended!

T-thanks for the advice, Kyubey!
you return to him with a slight smile.

You make your way back, far enough anyways that you probably won't attract those familiars by making too much noise, and then you experiment.

Bringing up your weapon, you channel energy through it seeking the form of a beam... and it worked! Kind of? Wait, why won't it leave the "barrel"? You try shaking it up and down, but no, you can't dislodge the beam of emerald energy emanating from your rod's end.

[Soul Gem: 55/1750]

It extends nearly the length of your arm out of the rod - handle now? - and it silently crackles with power. Wow! So you guess you have a sword now! But wait, you don't even know how to use a sword!

You sigh, before slicing it at one of floating panels. It moves through it like a hot butter knife through butter without any resistance. You gape at this, before you hear screeching down the hall that you left that group of familiars at. Out of the corner of your eye, you think you see the birds in the panel escape into the rainbow void.

Hinako, be careful! Breaking that must have attracted the familiars!

"T-that would've been nice to know earlier!" Well, you guess you shouldn't break the Witch's things in the future, without some sort of plan.

Um. Oh no, what do you do?! You can hear the familiars clamoring down the hall towards you, and-

-oh, you just had a thought! You run back down the path until it tightens up enough that the familiars will only be able to come at you a few at a time. You can do this!

The screeching doesn't abate, and in fact becomes shrill as they presumably find the remnants of the panel you slashed through. You hear more clamoring as they deduce where you went, and you prepare for battle!

The first two round the corner, and with a battle cry that most certainly wasn't pathetic you cleave through them both in a single slash before jumping backwards and wow can you jump far now that you've become a magical girl!

Landing on your feet, another two step over and through the two dead familiars as they dissipate and charge at you. This time you fumble a bit and only get one of them before the second one slams into you.

You're knocked back away from it with more force than you would have expected of these things and you slam against one of the surprisingly sturdy panels, losing all of the breath in your lungs from the impact. You idly note that you're bleeding now, as cuts cause your robes to stain with your blood.

You shakily stand back up as the familiar momentarily stops to observe it's handiwork before you leap at it and skewer it on your emerald blade. It dissipates almost immediate, as if extended contact with your blade hastened the process of it's deterioration after death.

Another familiar makes its way down here and another familiar falls to your blade before your blade winks out of existence. O-oh. Oh no.

You run back further as you hear more familiars converging on your location. Kyubey is still hanging onto your shoulder for dear life with his eyes closed as you try and think of something that you could do.

Aiming your rod over your right shoulder, you start taking potshots at the quick familiars, and you manage to fell another three before the rest reach you.

[Soul Gem: 91/1750]

Thinking quickly, you try and create another blade, and it works!

[Soul Gem: 112/1750]

Slicing at the nearest familiar, it falls to pieces and the last few familiars pile up one after another as they trip over their fallen comrade. Taking this opportunity, you quickly start slashing down at the last three remaining familiars over and over again until they're nothing left but specks of black energy.

You wipe away the tears running down your face as your sword winks out of existence.

[Soul Gem: 119/1750]

Hinako! Are you okay?!

You sniffle in response, and fall to the floor on your butt with a thump. T-that was... As you take in your condition, you realize that the cuts made by that familiar's attack aren't actually all that deep, and the bleeding stopped long ago. It seems like you were only cut slightly by happenstance as a result of its charge. Onee-chan would've been fine with tiny cuts like these.

You take a few moments to catch your breath, and Kyubey seems content to wait on you staring at you with a seemingly concerned look.

"I-I'm fine, Kyubey. I think..."

You hadn't expected fighting these things to be so scary, and yet you should have expected it when you recall Kyubey telling you how these things eat people. And yet, you can't find it in yourself to overly regret it, as what's a few shallow cuts in comparison to someone's life?

Getting back on your feet, you slowly make your way back towards where those familiars originated from, your weapon outstretched in front of you like a protective charm.

"K-Kyubey, when are we going to f-find the Witch?"

Kyubey garners a pensive look before responding.

Hm, usually the Witch is at the deepest part of it's Labyrinth, and when you get deep enough you'll enter it's lair. We should be nearing that point however, so don't fret!

T-that's... that's good, you suppose.

Making your way into the more open path that the familiars were congregated at, you find that the path ends here, simply peering out into the rainbow void. What is here is a lone window sitting the in middle of where the familiars were congregated at, not seemingly connecting to anything at all.

Walking up to it, you bring your left hand up to it and all of a sudden it swings backwards, revealing a portal not unlike that of the barrier's.

This is it! The entrance to the Witch's lair!

[Soul Gem: 123/1750]

Okay, okay, you can do this! You take a shaky step into the window's "portal" and you find yourself in a wide arena. Well, you say arena, but around you is a giant bird's cage surrounded by that same flowing rainbow-like void.

In the center lies a giant paper mache bird stained as if covered in an entire paint set with a beak made out of nightmare fuel - that is to say you can't really understand what you're looking at when peering at it and it's quite frightening.

Around you and the "bird" are dozens of portraits - both broken and ripped, and new - lying in haphazard piles. You can't quite make out what's on any of them. The ground itself is made out of white, smooth, checkered marble.

The giant bird beats its wings, rises up into the air a bit, and gives out a shuddering "CAW" that shakes the entire lair in its resonance. Out of its beak, FIRE starts shooting out of it and into the air towards the "ceiling"... what?!

That's the Witch, Hinako! Prepare for battle!

So you find yourself fighting your first Witch, what do you do?

[ ] (Write-in)

So, you've encountered your first Witch, congrats!

I can say right now that Hinako has no idea what she's doing, and with the lack of direction in the vote on what she should test out, she could only figure out two very simple applications:

???
-Magic Shot(?): 2 Grief
-Magic Beam Sword(?): 20 Grief

I'd advise everyone to get creative when it comes to figuring out her abilities proper. And there are hints peppered throughout this chapter on some other potential applications/consequences of her abilities, if you really look for it.

I will also say that her abilities aren't restricted to only her rod, so have fun figuring that out. ;)

Also, the magical girl roll was obviously to see if the friendly nearby magical girls were available, and the ??? roll you don't have to worry about for now. Witch fights aren't really luck based outside of very specific situations where something is uncertain, by the way.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Chapter 6
[X] First of all, keep a wary eye out for familiars. You don't want to tunnel vision on the Witch only to get one of those scissor arms through your back.
[X] For now, stay long-range and hopefully out of the Witch's reach. Fire at it with your magic.
-[X] Concentrate fire on the wings, attempting to hobble and hopefully slow down or even ground the Witch.
-[X] If it starts moving too fast, try to lead your shots for better accuracy.
-[X] Take care not to accidentally hit any of the piles of intact portraits with your shots and stay away from them, as you don't know what they might do.
[X] Defensively speaking, especially beware of the Witch's fire-spewing beak. Even apart from the fire, the torn portraits hint it will use it that way.
[X] Keep an ear out in case Kyubey has any advice.

Immediately you start dashing off to the side - making sure to avoid those mounds of portraits - as the Witch soar upwards into the air, giving you the stink eye.

T-this is crazy! What kind of creature is this, what with being made out of paper and breathing fire. Those things don't mix! They don't!

With Kyubey clinging onto your shoulder for dear life, you swing your rod towards the Witch and immediate begin firing off your magic bullets at it. It managed to avoid most of your shots, but the few that do pierce through the Witch leave sizzling holes through it's torso. Darn, you missed it's wings.

[Soul Gem: 141/1750]

Screeching out in pain, the Witch dives at you with unreal speed, flames licking out of it's beak in anger and talons poised to rend you to pieces.

"Aaah!" you yell as you dive to the side, rolling across the cold marble floor. The Witch flies into a pile of portraits and the portraits prompting burst into flame, with the Witch in it.

... Maybe that's a good thing? You stand back up and prepare your weapon while inching backwards away from the Witch.

The Witch bursts out of the pile wreathed in chaotic flames, seeming no more harmed than before it went in. Uh oh.

Hinako! Use your magic!

Taking Kyubey's cue, you start peppering shots at the Witch but the Witch somehow seems even faster than before, and before you know it you're having to dive way once more as the Witch's flames just barely clip you.

[Soul Gem: 156/1750]

You let out a yelp of pain as the flames burn your right side. It seems mostly superficial with rather mild first degree burns, but that hurt!

No, use your magic, Hinako! This isn't the extent of your magic, I believe in you!

... Kyubey's right! And if he believes in you, then you're sure that you could come up with something to help fight this Witch!

This Witch is steering back around after it's failed grab at you from before, so you'll have to make this count!
Ingenuity Roll: 10

... Nothing comes to you, and you're forced to face this flaming behemoth with what you've got. With but a scant few seconds before it converges onto you, you channel your magical energy through your rod into it's sword-like form before chucking it right in front of you towards the Witch.
Hail Mary Roll: 80
And it lands squarely into it's right wing, shearing it completely off it's body with ease. With this, the Witch spins out of control to your left and impacts the ground with a sickening crack, setting fire to another nearby stack of portraits.

[Soul Gem: 178/1750]

Scrambling towards your rod, you dash past the discarded wing of the Witch and rush to retrieve your rod. It is still glowing with emerald light as the sword persists until just after you pick it up, popping out with a wink like the last two times.

As the Witch struggles to right itself, you try and shoot at it with your magic shots, and out of the few that you manage to fly off from this distance a single one hits it near where it's wing was sliced off.

The Witch lets out a shrill "CAW" in your direction from it's beak, even more shrill than the last one, to the point that you can feel a hot liquid dripping down your ears with sound fading away into the background. The shockwave that comes with it comes as a complete surprise as you're knocked off your feet and fly back a few meters, landing on your back.

Hinako! Behind you!

You scramble onto your knees and get a good look at what's to come. Behind you, slipping into the giant cage from the rainbow void are a flock of multi-colored facsimiles of birds about the size of two or three ordinary large birds put together each.

Desperately firing off into the flock, you manages to kill a few of the leading ones causing the rest to awkwardly slam against one another before falling from the sky and into one of the portrait piles. That buys you some time, you think.

[Soul Gem: 190/1750]

Staring back at the Witch, it seems that it finally got it's bearings and is rearing it's beak back while looking in your direction, more flames than what is shrouding it leaking out of it's monstrous beak. Y-you can guess what's going to happen next.

Clumsily dashing away from your previous location, you just barely manage to escape the cone of fiery destruction that the Witch shot at you. The portrait pile that the smaller birds fell into ignites, and you suddenly get a bad feeling about this.
Ingenuity Roll 2: 11
You have got to take Kyubey's advice to heart if you are to beat this Witch, but you just can't think of anything through the burning of your wounds and the almost dreamlike clarity that you're perceiving the world's sounds as.
Hail Mary Roll 2: 80
With the Witch back on it's feet and flaming familiars just waiting to pop out from behind you, you have to do something. And so you rush towards the Witch, the flaming Witch seeming to be almost offended at your unarmed charge.

Creating another sword-like energy beam from your rod, you chuck it as hard as you can at the Witch's other wing, and somehow, against all odds, it cleaves perfectly through it's last wing causing the Witch fall on it's side in what seems like agony.

[Soul Gem: 213/1750]

Since the Witch seems to be rather incapacitated for the moment, you push yourself even faster in order to get to where your weapon fell at. Just behind you, you feel a slight shockwave and the temperature rises.

The familiars are out, and they're on fire too! Kyubey helpfully points out.

Scrambling just past the Witch - which seems to be scratching at the marble floor with it's talons as if to get a grip enough to steady itself - you scoop up your now beamless weapon and turn towards the flaming familiars which appear to be getting closer and closer to you as they dive bomb through the air.

Shooting some more magic shots at the incoming flock, you manage to fell another three before they get to you.

[Soul Gem: 220/1750]

Hinako quick, try and see if you can make something to block them!
Ingenuity Roll 3: 21
But your mind is too addled to focus on anything at the moment. You let out a soundless cry and manifest another beam blade from your rod as you swing at the familiars intending to swarm at you.
Hail Mary Roll 3: 19
[Soul Gem: 241/1750]

You manage to slash through one of the leading ones before the remaining five dive bomb into your body. Kyubey is sent careening off to the side as the familiars rake and burn you in their flyby before flocking just south of you, preparing for another run at you.

You feel horrible, but not anywhere near as horrible as you should be considering your brand new second degree burns peppering your body, and the gashes that the familiars' talons raked through you. Even still, you hate this pain and you try to distance yourself from it and... the pain fades away and you can finish this.

Dismissing the "blade", you shoot at the remaining familiars and manage to take out another three before the last two reach you again. This time you jump to the side, narrowly avoiding their claws, before landing and spending a not inconsiderable amount of wasted shots just taking out the last two.

[Soul Gem: 279/1750]

Turning to the prone Witch, you conjure another blade and step up to it, stabbing it countless times until it finally dissipates and you can rest.

[Soul Gem: 301/1750]

You fall down on your back and close your eyes as the Labyrinth frays to nothingness around you. You spend a minute like this, then two, and then you register Kyubey's voice calling out to you in the void.

Hinako! Are you alright?!

Opening your eyes, you find yourself staring at the night sky back in that alleyway you found the Witch's barrier in. You're laying in something wet, you idly note.

Sitting up, you can see that Kyubey has been pushing into your singed and cut up robes in order to rouse you.

"K-K-Kyubey...?" you manage to get out, yet you can't really make out your own words.

Hinako! Thank goodness, you have to heal yourself! Please just focus your magic on your hands with the intent to heal, and hold them over your wounds!

Mechanically, you do as Kyubey says, bringing up your hands to the worst of the familiars' talon-inflicted wounds. Glowing emerald light emanates from your hands as the wound begins sealing up. You continue like this until you heal up all of the cuts, and begin working on your burns. You can feel something wet flowing down your cheeks throughout all this.

Ten to fifteen minutes later.. at least you think it was that long, you finish up healing your ears and suddenly a cacophony of sound assaults your senses. Dropping the healing light, you bring your hands up to your ears to cover them until you feel better about your hearing.

Kyubey touches your Soul Gem with a light glow, and suddenly you can feel every remaining ache that lingers from your strenuous activity.

I'm sorry, but I needed to turn off your pain nullification before you forgot about it. It isn't wise to rely on it in day to day life after all!

You let out a groan and stumble to your feet, feeling horrible and still covered... is that your blood?!

You whimper a bit at the sight, until you recall that you healed up all of your wounds. I-it's just a red looking liquid, let's go with that. You're fine now... right? Onee-chan, please help me...

Kyubey nudges at your feet to get your attention.

"S-s-sorry K-Kyubey," you stutter at him, not knowing exactly what you were apologizing for out of the many things that need apologizing.

Hinako! Don't worry, you'll be alright in no time.

Kyubey hops back onto your shoulder and rubs himself affectionately against you, and you can't help but stumble and lean back against the alleyway wall and take Kyubey into your arms and hug him like a stuffed animal to calm yourself down.

After some time, Kyubey speaks up again.

Hinako, you have to cleanse your Soul Gem. You'll feel better after you do it, trust me!

In response, you loosen your arms to check your Soul Gem as Kyubey escapes your grasp to go scurrying off somewhere.

[Soul Gem: 1023/1750]

O-oh, that isn't good.

Kyubey scampers back to you with something hovering in between his two ringed ears.

This, Hinako, is a Grief Seed, the egg of a Witch! You can touch this to your Soul Gem in order to cleanse it, and when it gets too full you can discard it before it hatches back into a Witch.

Kyubey holds it up for you to take it, and you do. It's a strange thing, a Grief Seed. A round ornate black and gray ball with a spike on top of it sits on a very long spike in particular, and it seems to passively hover over your palm.

Touching it against your Soul Gem that is on your chest, you let out a gasp as you feel the weight of the world lift off your shoulders, a weight you didn't even realize you felt.

Black wisps popped out of your Soul Gem, hovered in the air, before coalescing into the Grief Seed, filling it up a bit.

[Soul Gem: 0/1750]
[Grief Seed (Birdcage Witch): 1025/2000]

You spend a while just laying against the wall some more, trying to ignore the puddle of your own blood, before heading back home with Kyubey hanging onto your shoulder. You're crying, apparently. You were and still are. You can't help it, for as much as the idea of magic appeals to you you failed to use it to even save yourself. This is why you need to be taken care of by Mama, Papa, and Onee-chan. You Wish you could do more...
???: 45

With a low sob, you unlock your front door from the key that was stored away in your thankfully burnless pocket and you make your way back to bed, exhausted. The last thing you can recall before going to sleep is the buzzing of your phone, a flash of green light denoting the end of your transformation, hugging something, and the blissful darkness of slumber.

What do you do tomorrow morning?
[ ] (Write-in)
[ ] Do you call back whoever tried calling you?
... Well then, that happened. By going into that situation without an idea on what she could possibly do to counter the Witch or it's familiars, she was beholden to the dice gods to determine whether or not she could come up with something on the spot. The dice gods said no, multiple times and with malice.

On the bright side, she managed to pull off some insane feats with what meager abilities she had available for use through the two identical "Hail Mary" rolls, which had equally identical effects due to the absurdity of rolling two 80s in a row for them.

Hinako now has experience in healing, as well as complete pain nullification.

She also has a half-filled Grief Seed now, so maybe experiment a bit before having her seek out another Witch tomorrow...? Please...? She obviously isn't good under pressure, if those rolls were anything to go by. 😅

And yes, she did go to sleep hugging Kyubey like a stuffed animal. And yes, her dependency on him is growing due to bad luck and the consequences of past votes. Welp.
You gotta wonder why Kyubey is doing so much for Hinako.
I'm leaving the morning segment rather open, as there's tons of stuff that she could do tomorrow (Sunday). There's a whole city to explore after all, and it has all the things a city would have and probably whatever you could think of. Do note that Hinako might need a little break to gather her wits about herself, considering what just happened. Or at least, nothing Witch related.

Last edited:
Chapter 7
[X] Take the morning as an opportunity to recover and relax from the harrowing experience you went through.
-[X] When you feel a bit better, call back whoever called you.
[X] Check in about other Magical Girls again with Kyubey. Can he contact them for us yet?
-[X] If he still can't answer, try taking a walk around town to find secluded spots to train in. Try to have some fun, too. Maybe go out for ice cream to celebrate your new life as a Magical Girl?
[X] Reflect on your witch hunt yesterday.
-[X] When/if you find a good spot to train in, try to tune yourself into your powers. The magic in your staff seemed like it didn't want to come out in the form of your magic shots. Try to let the energy concentrate in the tip of the staff.
-[X] You wished to be useful and inspiring to others and give them hope. Focus on that wish and feel out how it manifests in your weapon and powers.
-[X] Think about the fact that you succeeded, even though you were scared and hurt. Even if it didn't go smoothly, yesterday was a victory and you should be proud of it.

Sunday, January 2nd 2011

"Mmmghnnngh"

You stir from your slumber as rays of light hit you from the morning sun. What time is it?

Blinking open your eyes, and then doing so many more times to try and rouse yourself, you reach out over to your bedside table with your free hand and grab onto your phone.

Bringing it up to eye level over your prone form and turning it on, you see that the time is "10:23 AM". Wow, you really overslept didn't you? And this is when you have school tomorrow as well!

You idly note that your phone is still lime green, and it still has a variety of cute stickers layered across it's form. You still remember when your sister won you that pack during a festival a couple years back.

"Nnnghmmmgh"

Yet another inspiring set of words, coming from yours truly. Please hold your applause.

You pet the stuffed animal that you were hugging to your chest a bit as you check your phone again. What's this, a few missed calls? And at around midnight to boot.

... Oh, they were from your sister, but then why was she calling you that late in the first place? She knows that you're usually asleep by then. She didn't leave any voicemails either.

The stuffed animal that you're petting with your hand starts to nustle it's head into the pats. That's neat.

Wait a moment... You look down and spot a contented looking bunny-cat creature seemingly enjoying the affection you're giving it.

And then suddenly, the events of last night come crashing down on you like a waterfall. It almost seems like it was just a bad dream, to be honest. Some parts are a bit hazy, but you know what happened. And you know how you nearly failed on your first outing as a magical girl.

You stop what you were doing, drawing the attention of Kyubey.

"S-sorry Kyubey! I didn't realize... you were supposed to be busy, right?"

Kyubey resumes his typical look, tail swaying behind him, before stretching his limbs and jumping off of you and onto the now empty bedside table. Repositioning himself, he looks at you with his gleaming red eyes.

It's quite alright! I always have time to help a new contractee in their time of need.

T-that's just like Kyubey, isn't it? If there's one good thing that becoming a magical girl has brought, it's that you have Kyubey looking out for you. It helps that he genuinely needs your help, that's a nice change.

Dragging yourself out of bed, you take this chance to examine yourself in your mirror. It's quite eerie actually, just how healthy you look. There's no evidence of last night's injuries whatsoever.

Thinking back on your Witch hunt yesterday, you thank your past self for somehow figuring out how to shut off your pain, otherwise you're sure that the somewhat sleep-deprived memories would be much more harrowing. Oh, you're not kidding yourself, seeing that much blood outside of your body was a horrific sight to witness, however the fight itself just seems like it had happened so quickly.

Another good thing discovered by becoming a magical girl is your talent in sword throwing, apparently. Heck, you were more accurate with throwing swords than you were with shooting magical energy ball thingies. Neat. Weird, but neat.

... Ultimately, despite almost failing, you won... right? You reach into your pajama pants pull out the Birdcage Witch's Grief Seed, which was in a separate pocket than your Soul Gem. You can't recall putting these things in your pockets, but somehow you could remember they were in there.

Just how many people did you save but doing what you did and taking out that Witch? Kyubey said that Witches could spread by their familiars eating enough people, so just how many potential lives had you saved just by slaying this one Witch? A feeling that you don't quite know how to describe wells up inside of you. Oh wait, is this... pride?

Shaking your head, you set the Grief Seed on your desk and take out your Soul Gem. It's clear, much like it was when you'd first gotten it.

[Soul Gem: 14/1750]

You know... you could always turn your Soul Gem into its ring form! calls out Kyubey telepathically to you. It'll be much more convenient for you to carry it around that way without it getting lost. All you have to do is focus!

"Oh!"

Following Kyubey's instructions, your Soul Gem glows before coalescing into a silver ring around your left hand's middle finger. It's inscribed with strange, unintelligible runes that seems to be spelling out something. On your middle finger's nail lies the symbol of your magic, a green sunburst. How cute!

To be honest, you couldn't imagine parting from your Soul Gem now that you have it, and this makes it all the more easier for you to keep it close to you.

As you start gathering your things together to get ready for the day, you're reminded of Kyubey who's still in the room.

"No boys allowed, Kyubey!" you chide him as he continues to stare at you.

Kyubey tilts his head to the side in apparent confusion.

Hm? But I'm not a boy.

... What.

... No seriously, there's no way that Kyubey could be a...

"Y-you're a girl?!"

Of course not.

... What.

"Um, Kyubey, what are you then?"

... If you're referring to your species' dioecy nature, then no, I am none of those things. My race doesn't possess such a concept!

... Oh. Not that you know what "dioecy" means, but oh. Still...

"Er, uh, Kyubey, even still, I'd prefer to get ready without anybody watching, y'know?"

As Kyubey contemplates this, you go over and scoop him up, open your bedroom door, and safely deposit him onto the floor outside of your bedroom before shutting it closed.

I don't understand.

Nope, not dealing with anything complicated or new right in the morning. You're just going to enjoy your shower, get dressed, and relax a little. And so you do.

The shower is heavenly after last night's events, healing or no healing. You left your Soul Gem in its egg form outside the shower while your were showering of course! After that, you got out and dried yourself off, you got dressed in a simple long-sleeved blouse and knee-length skirt, a light green and grey respectively. It is still winter after all, even if it won't be especially cold out today.

You switch your Soul Gem into ring form and head out into the living room smelling of lavender. You see Kyubey sitting on the couch not doing anything in particular, waiting on you.

... It's just about 11 AM now, so it might be wise to just go out and have lunch a bit later. Maybe you could get something while you're out exploring the city? For now, you're just going to relax with Kyubey and watch some television.

Sitting down on the other side of the couch, you begin flipping through channels trying to find something to watch. While you're doing this, you briefly look towards Kyubey.

"Um, Kyubey? Would you try and get into contact with any nearby friendly magical girls like yesterday? I-I'd really like to meet them! If any of them are willing to show me the ropes, then maybe we could hang out in town together? Maybe around noon-ish, or one?"

You do still need to familiarize yourself with everything in this new city, after all. This ain't Nagaoka, that's for certain.

Of course! I'll check in just a moment!
Magical Girl Luck Roll: 93
While Kyubey's checking... however which way he does, you settle on an old episode from some seasonal slice of life anime that's currently broadcasting.

After a few minutes or so, Kyubey perks up.

I spoke with one of the local magical girls and she said she'd be willing to meet up with you around one! She's wondering where you should meet, what should I tell her?

"O-oh! That's great, Kyubey! Could you ask her if she'd be fine meeting up at that new fast food place for lunch, m-my treat if she's willing!" You get a healthy stipend from your parents due to their frequent travel, so treating another magical girl shouldn't be a problem.

Kyubey quiets down for a few, before speaking up again.

Alright, I relayed that to her. She seems to be fine with it, though she was acting a bit strange at the time. How odd.

You shrug. If Kyubey's previously reaction to social norms was of any indicator, then maybe he was just misinterpreting something over on her end.

Well, on the upside, you get to meet your magical girl senpai! On the downside, you get to meet your magical girl senpai. What if she asks about your Witch hunting experience, like your Witch hunt from last night? Flaming birds rake across your form as you cry out in pain.

Hands shaking slightly, you sink back into the couch and just try to keep your mind off of such things and immerse yourself in the world of sunshines and rainbows that is slice of life.

After you've relaxed for around an hour or so, you decide to call back your sister. You think your in a better headspace now, and to be honest all of last night feels more like a bad dream to you what with the lack of sleep, pain turned off, and general weirdness of the Witch's Labyrinth. You turn off the TV, open up your missed calls on your phone, and try calling her back.

*ring* *ring*

*ring* *ring*

*ring* *ri-* And your sister's phone picks up.

"Rrrrruri Itsuki's phone, how may I take your call?" starts a playful - yet decidedly not your sister's - voice.

... Maybe it's her roommate or something? You're not exactly sure about her housing arrangements on campus, so you couldn't say. You can hear some faint noises in the background, probably just the goings on from wherever your sister and her phone are.

"U-um, this is her sister, Ruri Hinako. Could you please pass the phone to Onee-chan?"

A pause occurs over on their end, though you hear the muffling of the speaker and faint footsteps on hard floor.
"Suki-chan, you didn't tell me your little sister was this cute! She even still calls you 'Onee-chan'! She's nothing like-"
"... Hello?" you try again.
"Tsubaki, give me my phone back!" whines another voice.
A thump echoes off of something over on their end, and the phone crackles a bit before the sound evens out.

"Sorry about that Hinako! So what did you need?" responds your sister. Her voice is laden with obvious concern while being a bit strained, you note.

"Oh, um, I was just calling back after you called me last night... around midnight, I think? Was there anything you needed, Onee-chan?"
A faint *squee* echoes in the background before it's interrupted by another light thump.
A few seconds pass.

"A-ah, yeah, about that. I realized that I forgot to check in with you after you got out of the hospital, and it happened to be late and I didn't realize the time. How are you doing? Is everything alright over there? Did you move into the new house okay?"

And there's your worrywort of a sister, doing what she does best. You have no delusions that she wouldn't drop everything and take a train to Urahama if she felt you needed her help.

"Oh, so that was what that was about! Um, I got discharged okay, and I got all my things set up in my new room. I still have to decorate it, though! Hm, things have been... eventful, but I think I'm okay. Mama and Papa are still in the U.K., so I guess things have been sort of lonely over here." Wait wait wait, you shouldn't have said-

"I'm coming over right now!"

-that. You sigh and palm your face with your free hand. Kyubey peers at you curiously as you do this.

"I-it's alright, Onee-chan! You don't have to do that, and I'm going to be starting school tomorrow anyways. I'm actually meeting with someone later today while I explore the city, so there's no need for you to drop everything to come here!"
"Suki-chaaan, give me your imouto! I want to be called 'Onee-chan' too!"
Another pause permeates the conversation. A muffling sounds out from the speaker again.
"What? No way, she's my imouto, get your own!"
"Hinakoooo, I can't believe you forgot to tell your beloved Onee-chan that you're going on a date! Who's the lucky guy?"

Your cheeks flush a bit as your sister acts like her usual self. You love her to bits, but sometimes she just likes teasing you.

"I-it's not a date, I promise! Besides, she's another girl!"

"... Who's the lucky girl?" You can just hear the smugness coming from your sister's voice.

You groan audibly into your phone while your sister cackles with laughter, joined by another fainter one in the background.

"I kid, I kid! Seriously though, I hope you can make some new friends in Urahama! I'm guessing this girl is going to be one of your classmates when you go back to school?"

Uhhh, you probably should have thought this through a bit more, now that you think about it. You don't even know this magical girl's name yet!

"E-er, yeah! We kind of bumped into each other the other day and she offered to show me around the city since I just moved here recently." Yeah, let's go with that.
"Hey, let me talk to your imouto, pleeease?
"So where'd you run into her? It's pretty nice of her to show you around the city after just meeting you for the first time!"
"Shush, the grown-ups are talking."
Agh, more lies to add to the pile you guess. You hate lying to your sister like this, but how exactly do your explain to her that you're real answer is "because magic"? ... Maybe you could explain things to your sister properly next time she visits where you could properly showcase it to her, if Kyubey's okay with it?

"I-I met her at that new fast food place that opened up nearby... Gauche Burger I think it was called?"

Hopefully that works well enough, and you're barely even lying since you'll be meeting her at Gauche Burger anyways, just today instead of yesterday!

"Ooooh, I've heard of that place! We have a couple here near the university, though I haven't had the chance to go. I wonder if it's any better than McRonalds..."

Good, she's sufficiently distracted. Time to make your escape!

"Yeah, so anyway, good to know that you didn't need anything in particular and all, and I better go so that I could do that thing we spoke about, so bye-bye!"
"Aww, I wanted to talk to the little Ruri!"
"Wait a sec, Hina. Before you go, I just want to make sure that you know that you can call me if you ever get into any trouble. You know that, right?"

You sigh. Your sister should already know the answer to this by now, surely?

"Of course, Onee-chan! I'll call you if I ever need your help, don't you worry."

She can be such a worrywort at times, but that's her job as your older sister you suppose.

"... Alright, as long as you know. See ya, Hinako! I'll call back soon!"

The call clicks off. With another sigh, you turn your phone off and pocket it, yet you can't stop the smile that creeps onto your face after talking with your sister for a bit. You feel much better after that call.

When you go out, how do you keep your Soul Gem?
[ ] In its ring form; it's much more convenient to carry around this way!
[ ] In its egg form; it'll be much more difficult for others to figure out you're a magical girl this way!

-[X] If he still can't answer, try taking a walk around town to find secluded spots to train in. Try to have some fun, too. Maybe go out for ice cream to celebrate your new life as a Magical Girl?
[X] Reflect on your witch hunt yesterday.
-[X] When/if you find a good spot to train in, try to tune yourself into your powers. The magic in your staff seemed like it didn't want to come out in the form of your magic shots. Try to let the energy concentrate in the tip of the staff.
-[X] You wished to be useful and inspiring to others and give them hope. Focus on that wish and feel out how it manifests in your weapon and powers.
So yeah, chapter was getting a bit long, so I'm splitting it up here. Just a simple vote here before I get a start on the next chapter. Hinako got some hints towards Kyubey's more alien nature in this chapter, so that's a thing.

Also this chapter - Chapter 7 - came out on 7-7. Ain't that neat? :)

Last edited:
Back