Pokemon: Apocalypse (Pokemon/Our World)

I think it would only really be possible if you raised the damn thing from an egg. Canonically they're almost hyper aggressive and likely stubborn AF. Hence raising the damn thing specifically from an egg. Personally I'd try for a Pidgey, less powerful initially but far less stupidly aggressive thus more likely to be befriendable and with potentially an even bigger payoff in the end with a Pidgeot.

One thing I've been wondering about is how the main character was able to keep from going crazy being isolated in the wilderness for so long. I'm sure Rocket helped, he's the best boy, but humans still need human interaction. It'd be interesting to see how these people (who may have had it rough, but still managed to retain some of their former community) interact with someone who hasn't had nonviolent experiences with other people in months now, maybe a year.

He hasn't actually been in the woods alone since 2012. Pokemon showed up in 2012, but it's not as if everyone suddenly went crazy and all the nuclear powers started dropping nukes like idiots. Things happened (that he doesn't have a clear idea about because he doesn't work for the CIA or DoD) to get to where we are today.

Long story short, Shane knows that shit went down in 2013-2014, culminating in a brief but devastating nuclear exchange in July 2014. He was fortunate enough to leave the DC area on a summer backpacking trip in the Cascade Mountains, which is why he's not atomic dust. He met Rocket, settled in Bend for a little bit, realized they were going to implode, and got out of dodge.

It's April 2015 now. About nine months of backpacking isn't unreasonable. People do the Appalachian trial all the time.

So, at this point it's good to say in the timeline most large governments have all but collapsed? Because I can't really see any government being able to keep supply chains or good movement going as now their is a good chance any semi-convoy can get wrecked by a herd of angry Tauros or air shipments jumped by angry flying Pokémon. And Nukes don't help things in the least.

About nine months of backpacking isn't unreasonable. People do the Appalachian trial all the time.

Oh totally, but even on the Appalachian trail you're meeting other hikers almost every day. I'm just saying, nine months of only talking to his raccoon, he's probably gotten a little weird lol.

1.7 Liftoff
Liftoff 1.7

April 2015

As the dawn broke, Rocket and I began our day with a workout. Now that we had the security provided by this little slice of civilization, I saw no reason to ignore my own physical conditioning. Well, no reason except the sassy murder-ferret cackling mockingly as I grunted through my thirty-fifth pushup.

No, I wasn't especially athletic. Yes, the sentient scarf was a foot tall. Yes, he could fold me in half like a taco.

Fucking pokemon and their llama-blessed magic steroids.

"Shut up," I grumbled as I allowed myself to collapse onto what used to be the putting green.

"Lin, linoone," he yipped, as if to say, "I didn't say anything." His shit-eating grin was impossible to mistake for anything else but schadenfreude however. Surely this was proof of sentience in pokemon, the ability to take sadistic joy at my suffering despite zero personal gain.

"You were thinking it."

"Oone."

I groaned and rolled over onto my back. The grass was comfortable and, after stretching, going on what I estimated to be a two mile run, and doing what upper body exercises I knew, I was pooped. I would have happily taken a nap on the green until the sun rose over the sky and beamed eye-searing pain from on high, but Rocket didn't let me.

He nipped at my fingers and when I slapped his snout away, he sat on my face until I had no choice but to get up. He was soft, sure, but he was still seventy pounds of ferret, not at all like having a cute kitten do it.

I bitched and moaned but got up anyway. In the end, this was for my own good. Without poke-magic of my own, I'd just have to train the hard way until I was the best me I could be, especially if I wanted to survive being a ranger for long. I'd been extraordinarily lucky so far in that I hadn't had to scrap with any truly dangerous pokemon up close, but that wouldn't last forever and a good hunting knife only went so far towards evening the odds.

"Come on, Rocket," I said as I made my way back towards my trailer. "Let's go grab a quick shower."

"Lin."

"Fine, let's grab me a quick shower. Not all of us can lick ourselves clean."

It wasn't as though Rocket had sat around doing nothing but laughing at me all morning. There was no way in hell he'd get a workout from simply following me around so I took a page from some of those military boot camp videos that I saw floating around in the Before. My army cousin used to show me Youtube videos of something called hell week, where jarheads like him got to yell at other, wannabe jarheads as they ran around with tires dragging behind them. I figured if soldiers got a workout this way, a pokemon could benefit at least as much.

I had no tires, but I did have plenty of paracord, dead useful stuff for a survivalist like myself, and some pine logs I'd yet to chop into firewood. It wasn't terribly heavy, maybe sixty pounds at most, but the friction made for a decent workout in the end, so long as I kept him from cheating with Quick Attack or some other aura-boosted move.

Grabbing a change of clothes and toiletries, I hustled down to the communal showers. It was fucking freezing, but I at least had the privilege of not having to see anyone else's junk. No one else wanted a wash this early in the morning.

After shivering through a quick scrub, I led Rocket to the kitchens, this time the other side of the large, converted warehouse where breakfast was being served. They'd had the good sense to have the canteen located upwind of the butchering station. I walked over and was charged three stones for a serving of food.

Apparently, the price was set by Mayor McAllen as a way to have some standardized backing behind the currency. It made the food seem expensive, spearow weren't exactly easy to kill, but I supposed getting people to move around and do things rather than mope and fall into depression was a good thing. If they were productive, that was time they weren't thinking about all they'd lost in the Before.

Still, price aside, the meal was hearty and warm. It was a little weird having fish stew for breakfast, but fish was what we had in abundance. Stew was one of the dishes that could be made cheaply and in great bulk so just about everything went into the pot, from tomatoes, carrots, and potatoes from the fields to foxglove, an edible wild plant that didn't normally find itself onto the plate.

I shelled out a few extra stones for Rocket to get his own share. He'd probably want something more later, but he seemed to like it well enough.

We were about halfway through our meal when I saw two people approach. One was Sabrina Swanson, the daughter of Ranger Swanson and self-proclaimed pokemon professor. The other was a tall, lanky man about our age with brown hair, hazel eyes, and a pronounced cleft chin. He wore a collared shirt and a sweater with a deep neckline so the collar could peek through, oddly professional all things considered.

"Morning, Shane, mind if we join you for breakfast?" Sabrina said with an easy smile.

I waved to the table. "Suit yourselves."

The pair took their seats, placing identical bowls of stew on the table. Sabrina reached down and cooed as Rocket nipped lightly at her fingers. The man offered me a confident smile. "Austin McAllen. I saw you run by in the morning."

"Shane Hayes," I introduced myself. "Yeah, I know I'm never going to be able to wrestle a pokemon into the ground, but being in good shape never hurt anyone."

"True that. If nothing else, I think pokemon will respect trainers who work out with them more. Remember in the anime? Both Bruno of the Elite Four and Chuck, the Cianwood gym leader, wrestled their pokemon."

"Yeah, I do. You were a fan of the show I take it?"

"Yup. Watched all the episodes, played all the games. I've been helping Sabrina help get everything on paper. It's not a real pokedex, but it's still a ton of information."

"Right. Back when it all started, I downloaded a bunch of stuff from Bulbapedia, Serebii, and other websites like that, but that became nearly unusable when the bombs dropped," Sabrina chimed in with a bitter smile. "Electronics are hard to keep operational, at least here in the smaller towns, and I didn't think to print everything."

"But that's why we're working to write it all down. The information's already been a huge help, especially with the graveler and geodude."

I blinked in realization. That's why the name sounded so familiar. This was the mayor's son that Ranger Swanson had been talking about, the one who got the graveler to build them a wall. "Ah, heard about that. How'd that happen?"

"Well, like I said, I played all the games and stuff so I know a lot about pokemon. When we were on our way from Truckee, I found a pair of graveler and three geodude and figured we could get them on-site for nothing since they eat rocks."

"Wait, wasn't this after the snorlax thing?"

"It was," Sabrina nodded, "and it wasn't some noble show of trust or anything either. Austin threw a rabbit carcass at the graveler to try and get them to leave. They decided they liked Austin and followed."

"Hey, it worked out, didn't it?" he protested.

"It did, I'll grant you that. I have a theory about why. Did you know there are very absolute herbivores in nature? Deer will eat eggs and meat if they can find them, especially during the winter months. Squirrels too."

I nodded. "Yeah, my uncle had a farm back then. He told me about how his horse started to eat a chick, just stooped down and gobbled it up in front of the hen."

"That's because a vegan diet doesn't provide all the minerals and proteins necessary. It's usually a sign that an herbivore is malnourished or not getting enough of something specific," Sabrina lectured. She was a vet, or at least in training, she probably knew what she was talking about. "Anyway, my theory is that since there are very few absolute herbivores in the wild, the same might be true in the pokemon world among lithovores, creatures that mainly draw sustenance from rocks and minerals.

"So I saw Austin feed a graveler and wondered if that was what was going on. I don't care how magical pokemon are, they have to be getting protein from somewhere, right? Or, if they don't need it, having a ready source might be easier on their aura or something. Anyway, I started testing and found that the graveler prefer to eat bones, not flesh."

'Yeah, we started dumping large bones, deer carcass and such, separate from the offals once Sabrina found that out," Austin added. "The graveler live underground and built us the wall after we started talking. Pokemon are pretty reasonable, you know? All you need to do is feed them."

"Except when we started, there were two graveler and three geodude. Now, there are a dozen graveler and a handful of other geodude. I don't think pokemon multiply that quickly, it's only been a month, so they must be attracting more of their species somehow."

"That's fine, what's wrong with it? We have more pokemon that we can defend ourselves with."

"Do we?" she asked skeptically. Judging by the look on her face, it was something they'd discussed before. "They're not our pokemon. Or anyone's, really. And don't act like they'll fight at your command, Austin. If anything, we're the shield and farm rolled up in one. If pokemon are as smart as we think they are, it makes sense they'd build a wall for us. Our security is their security, but I don't think they'll put themselves between us and a snorlax or something."

"You worry too much, Sabrina. Like you said, our security is their security. They want us to do well. And they built us the wall, didn't they? That's proof they'll listen to me."

"It's proof they can think and calculate their best interests. In the end, living below us probably provides a good environment, free food, and protection from predators. If there are any that can eat a geodude, they would have to target humans first."

"What eats a geodude?"

"I don't know. That's why I said 'if.'"

"Again, you're worrying too much. I told you, I played all the games and saw the show. All pokemon are pretty simple to understand. They want to evolve and get stronger. Sure, they're smart, but that doesn't mean they're exactly like humans. It just means they can be talked to and bribed with food in exchange for more complicated services than playing fetch. Watch, soon I'll have a killer golem following me around."

I balked at that. "Wait, you've tried training a graveler?"

"Yeah? Why wouldn't I? I mean, no offense, but a linoone is pretty low-tier." Rocket, who'd curled up in donut formation and started to doze, opened an eye, flipped his upper lip, and let out a warning growl. Austin noticed the murder-ferret he'd been insulting and wisely backpedaled. "N-Not that you're not helpful, but I'm just saying, a more powerful pokemon would be better for the town's protection."

"Rocket's fine the way he is. He's got a good mix of moves that makes him a great tracker and hunter. I think you're forgetting that this isn't a game; no one's trying to be the Indigo Champion or anything."

"Maybe not, but a strong pokemon is the definition of security in this new world, you know? You can't tell me you've never imagined riding a dragonite or something. Dragon Dance? Extreme Speed? Hell, Rain Dance on demand? It'd be so much more than raw muscle. Think about it. We could go down the mountain and back in an afternoon, see about getting better resources."

"Alright, but be real. You're not Lance. Even if you had that magical dragon charisma, you'd have to find a dratini, spend years training it, and then pray you've earned its respect enough to listen to you," Sabrina pointed out. "No one's saying a strong pokemon wouldn't be nice, but you need to temper that with realistic expectations."

"A golem," Austin said definitively. "A golem is the ideal pokemon for us. It eats rocks, gets pretty strong, and could lead the other members of its species we have."

"You're also forgetting that dex entry that says they randomly roll down mountainsides and start massive rock slides for fun."

"Psh, that's behavioral. I can train it out when it's a geodude."

"So why haven't you?" I asked. Truthfully, he was getting a little irksome. It was great to be confident, but he looked like the kind of guy who didn't yet realize that this wasn't a game. Or maybe he did, thanks to that snorlax, and this was his way of coping. Either way, I decided to call him on it. "Why haven't you gotten yourself a geodude? You said you got the graveler to build a wall for you so why not take the next step?"

He balked at that, looking a lot less confident now. "I'm just waiting for the right one," he said lamely.

I eyed him meaningfully and thought about how Rocket and I met. It wasn't too different from Austin and the graveler to be truthful. He was a pint-sized trash panda. I wrestled the little shit after he tried to steal what food I could forage, back when he was small enough that a grown man had a shot.

Somehow, I doubted that'd go nearly as well for Austin.

Austin didn't seem like a bad sort, but he clung too much to the games, hanging tight like they were a lifeline. The information we remembered was important, but I didn't think we could trust it completely.

My thoughts went back to the weird lightning rat I batted into a petrol pump. Clearly, there were some pokemon that we had no information about.

"Are you sure that wasn't just a pachirisu or some other pika-clone?" Austin asked with a doubtful frown when I told him about it. "It was probably dark in the station, right?"

"It was, but not outside. I know what a pachirisu looks like. It doesn't have yellow-orange fur."

"Minum? Plusle?"

"No, those things didn't have the right build, blue and red accents, or the plus and minus signs on their tails. Dude, I know what the pika-clones look like. What Rocket and I fought wasn't anything from the games."

"I'm sorry, man. I'm still not sure if I believe that."

"He's probably not lying," Sabrina cut in. "Fairy type became a known quantity in 2013 when an Irish Army regiment cleared the dungeon near Kilkenny. Until then, we thought pokemon like clefable were normal types so it's possible that Shane saw something new."

"Yeah, but that's like a type update, not a whole new species."

"And you think there are only 649 species of pokemon in the entire pokemon world?" she asked with an arched brow. "How does that make sense? That's not at all how ecological diversity works. Hell, there are more than ten thousand species of birds in the world. Just birds."

I watched the two bicker back and forth. I didn't know what Austin's issue was necessarily, but the confidence about pokemon he tried to project was clearly made of glass. I hadn't missed the nervous looks he kept shooting Rocket's way, nor the way he backtracked the moment the idea of getting a personal pokemon for himself was brought up.

In reality, I envied him a little. He had a good relationship with the graveler colony underground. If anyone could get a geodude to part with the group and partner up, it was him. But he didn't because he was afraid. It wasn't like I didn't understand, pokemon were scary as fuck, but I didn't think him waffling about like this was any use either. At best, it was postponing the inevitable. At worst, his backseat training advice was annoying.

I hoped he sorted himself out soon, if for the town's sake. Either way, I didn't want anything to do with the guy. Rocket and I finished our meals and bid them goodbye.

X

After breakfast, I decided to continue with my tour of Carnelian Bay. There was at least one place I hadn't visited after all: the piers. As a vacation destination, Lake Tahoe was home to several yacht clubs, one of them in our fair town. There was probably some larger, overarching organization or wildlife conservancy that governed them all like an HOA, but I knew nothing about that.

What I did know was that there were three main piers of varying lengths along the Carnelian coast, each dotted with a series of boats. The longest pier curved at a right angle, forming a sort of L- shaped loop towards the shore. After asking around, Rocket and I were directed towards a small building that overlooked this pier as the headquarters of the "Carnelian Fishing Club."

I was looking for one Vincent Jackson, the head of the yacht club who'd organized his pals into being the main suppliers of fish for the town. He was a local resident, or at least hadn't been at Truckee for the snorlax thing, so I was hoping he didn't have a phobia of pokemon.

Surprisingly, I didn't find him on a boat or in the administrative building overlooking the piers. Mr. Jackson and another man were standing off the end of the shortest pier. He was dressed in a breezy Hawaian shirt and cargo shorts. He even had a straw hat to complete the distinctive look I was told to find. The man next to him had a big beer belly covered by a thick sweater to ward off the lake chill.

Down next to them was a cooler filled with beer, a bucket for their fish, and two camping chairs with a jacket thrown over one in case Jackson got cold. Leaned up against the railing, side by side with two fishing rods, was a rifle.

"Hey, is one of you Vincent Jackson?" I called.

"Yeah, who wants to know?" the man with a straw hat asked. He turned to face me with a casual grin and a cigarette in his mouth. He looked to be in his mid-forties with a touch of gray in his hair and a short but prominent beard.

"Shane Hayes, new guy in town. This here's Rocket the linoone. I thought I'd take a few days to check out the town, see what's what. I heard you were the guy in charge."

"You heard right, son. This used to be the home of the Carnelian Yacht Club. Call me Vincent."

"Hey, I'm Henry," the fat man said. "Good to see a new face around. Where're you from?"

"Arlington, Virginia," I said with a rueful chuckle, "I lucked out and was on a backpacking trip here in the Cascades."

"Damn, you are lucky. Think we should call him that, Vinnie?"

"Knock it off, Henry," the older man said. "Now, we rebranded as the Carnelian Fishing Club and serve up a lot of the protein 'round here. And this one of them pokey-mans?"

"Pokemon," I corrected. What was it with older people and being unable to pronounce "pokemon?" Ranger Swanson did it too. I was starting to think it was more for the sake of poking fun than anything else. "He's the evolved form of a zigzagoon, one of those beige and brown raccoons if you've seen 'em around."

"Once or twice. I heard these critters can change forms, but never saw one myself."

"If you've seen a graveler, you have. That's an evolved form too, evolves from a small, pebble-like thing with two arms called geodude."

"Ey, I hear your boy Phil's marill is an evolved form too," Henry added. "It can still get bigger though."

"Azurill into marill into azumarill. That's right," I confirmed.

Vincent snorted dismissively. "Bah, I'll forget their names after this anyway. That there ferret trained?"

"He's as smart as a person. Just talk to Rocket like you would to me."

"Lin," Rocket barked with a nod. He sat on his haunches, still just barely the height of my knees.

"Huh, well why're you around here for? Little Rocket doesn't look like a fishing sort. You must've talked to Tom, right? He should have you roaming the forests and whatnot."

It took me a second to remember that Tom was Ranger Swanson's first name. They looked about the same age so they were likely friends. "Just looking around. I was hoping you could give me a quick tour of what we're working with here."

"Heh, sure, son. Why don't you pull up a chair? You can grab it and a spare rod from inside the admin building and join us. Henry and I'll be out here 'til about eleven. Then we'll go do a check of the fish farm and you can see what we're about."

I thought about it and shrugged. It wasn't as though I had anything else urgent going on. Rocket and I couldn't train constantly and the view was grand. Just about the only thing on my to-do list besides this was to visit Guillermo for my crossbow in the afternoon.

That was how I found myself shooting the breeze with two old men, Rocket lazily lounging by my side. I hadn't been fishing since I was a child, but I learned it all over again with Vincent's help. Like riding a bike, he said.

We went through the usual song and dance. Introductions, where we're from, what we did in the Before, the sort of chitchat that started the majority of conversations. When that avenue ran dry, Vincent and Henry told me about the fish here. There were smaller species, but only four were considered trophy fish in Lake Tahoe: mackinaw, kokanee salmon, rainbow trout, and brown trout. There were also catfish if I wanted to head up one of the creeks.

"Say, Vincent, where are all the other fishermen? There's gotta be more than just you two, right?" I asked.

He waved out towards the lake. Off in the distance, I could see a handful of small dots. "Out there. There are a little over sixty of us and we drive a few boats out each day to try and catch fish, leaving a few of us on rotation to mind the farm, kind of like a weekend for us. Not all the yachts are useful, some are just too big to be operable with the diesel we've got. They need to be fuel-efficient, have lots of deck space, and come with a low deck so we could cast our nets, even better if they have a pulley setup on board already."

"Huh, guess I never thought about that. Makes me curious though, how'd you get the nets? And what happens if the diesel runs out? It's not the same as gasoline so it's not like we can loot a gas station either, right?"

"Well, aren't you just full of questions." He waved off my apology. "It's fine. It's good to ask, especially now. The answer isn't always nice, but not knowing is worse. Originally, the nets came from soccer goals. Yeah, seriously, Henry's idea. Then we started building on them since they're about the right size to let the smaller fish get away. Now, we've got a bunch of people making nets out of whatever we can unravel back into thread.

"As for the diesel… Yeah, we're fucked. We're a lot less fucked since Henry thought up the fish farms, but we're still pretty fucked. Some of the boats have sails we can use, but no diesel will still ground a lot of them and make our jobs a lot harder."

"That's good. What's this about a farm though?"

Vincent waved to Henry to take over the conversation. "Ah, it's not that complicated. See that longer, L-shaped pier? We decided to bury some chain link fences below the water. We occasionally take a bit of scrap meat and veggies and toss it in to attract fish. It's helped a lot with feeding the town."

"That's brilliant. So that's where some of the fencing around the golf course went. But doesn't that also attract predators? I guess bigger fish can't really break chain link, but what about pokemon?"

"Some, and that's why we're here. Always a few of us around to chase them off. The water pokemon seem a bit more even-tempered than those bird-things that Pat and his boys have to deal with."

"Spearow. And yeah, just about everything's got a better attitude than those things. They're good eating though."

"You had one of them before?"

"A couple times, yeah. They just taste like gamier, more flavorful chicken. Cooks no different, just clean them, wrap them in foil, and let them bake next to the coals. That's why Rocket's great. Natural prey and all."

Our time lounging about came to an end with not a single fish to my name. I would've liked to have caught a salmon, but that just wasn't to be. On the plus side, Vincent let me keep the spare rod. Then the four of us went inside the admin building, where I was introduced to Elaina and Phil Jackson.

The first thing I noticed about Vincent's wife was her age. Vincent was roughly in his mid-forties. Either Elaina aged extremely gracefully, or she was a decade his junior. The second thing I noticed about her was an orange and cream colored pelt wrapped around her olive-toned neck.

"Is that a buizel?" I asked in shock.

"Hmm? Oh, this? Yes, I think that's what it's called. Vinnie shot it because it was stealing from the farm. And its fur is so soft too," she said with a proud smile. Then she saw Rocket amble in and shot her scarf a nervous look. "Ah… That's okay… right?"

Rocket looked at the buizel, then at the Latina. He eyed her up and down as if gauging her worth before letting out a dismissive chuff. "Linoo-lin. Oone."

That made me laugh. It wasn't like he'd never eaten a mammal before. We spent almost a year traveling together now; it'd have been strange if we'd never encountered a mustelid of some sort.

"Don't mind him; he doesn't care," I assured her. "It's not like they're the same species. And even if they were, dead is dead. There's nothing to be done about it now, right?"

"R-Right."

"Law of the jungle. Don't stress."

"Woah, that's a linoone, sweet!" I heard a little boy say. The child who walked in was about eight years old, with his mother's tan complexion and his father's facial features. He still had a fair bit of baby fat around his cheeks and I guessed his age to be about eight or nine years old.

What caught my eye however was the blue and white, mouse-like creature in his arms. A marill, a water type pokemon that used its bulbous tail as a floatation device. Back before Gold and Silver released, I remembered seeing leaks of marill. People called it pika-blue back then, which technically made marill the very first pika-clone before plusle and minum, and the only non-electric type.

"Ah, this is Phillip, my son," Vincent said. He ruffled the little boy's hair. "He's tamed one of them pokey-mans too."

"Daaddd! Plue's a pokemon! Poke-mon!"

"Plue? You named your marill Plue?" I asked, bemused. For its part, the marill looked quite comfortable in its trainer's arms, but I could see it eyeing my linoone with caution. Pokemon could be friends in the wild, but I didn't doubt Rocket would take a nibble out of it if he found the chance.

"Hey, what's wrong with Plue?"

"Nothing, nothing. It's a great name. I hear the little guy's responsible for filling the shower tank each day, right? Great job, squirt."

"Hehe, yeah, Plue's awesome. He also helps dad herd fish into the farms sometimes too!"

"See, Rocket? Plue isn't food," I said with a teasing kick towards my pokemon. "Plue gets us more food."

"Linoone!" he barked as if offended I'd ever imply such barbarity. He sat on his haunches and looked to the side, looking a tad too innocent.

"It'd be great if we had a few more water types," Phil said. "Plue has a lot of work to do and I think he gets lonely sometimes."

"I wouldn't mind a second pokemon," I agreed. I flipped open the notebook Sabrina had given me, my "pokedex" as it were. "Let's see… You've seen buizel and marill obviously… Magikarp? You guys know not to treat those poorly, right?"

"Obviously. We're not dumb, you know. Plue gives magikarp some potato scraps from Mr. Myers' farm and herds them away without fighting them."

"Yeah, just checking. A gyarados was one of my main six back when I played through Silver, but here… Better safe than sorry."

"We won't be around to be sorry if we meet a gyarados."

"You've got a dark sense of humor for a kid."

"I'm nine!"

"And therefore a kid."

I followed along with Vincent, Henry, Elaina, and Phil as they did a tour of the fish farms. Henry proved to be a wealth of information; as a former engineer, he was creative enough to have ideas and skilled enough to see them to completion. I saw how, inside the chain link enclosures, they had traps made of plastic crates that could be hauled up for fish. He also told me that they took on gathering teams for shellfish once every few days. Apparently, freshwater mussels and clams could be found in the basins.

After a light but filling lunch of grilled trout from Vincent and Henry's fishing rods, we bade them goodbye.

X

The sporting goods store turned supply depot was a bit more crowded today so Rocket opted to wait outside. Guillermo called me over as soon as I entered.

"Oi! Shane, you're here. Good. I've got your bow straightened out for ya," he said gruffly.

"Oh? Thanks for the quick turnaround. What's with everyone here though?"

"Go ask Tom; he was looking for you. He said he's putting together a scavenging run back to Truckee and wants you to take part."

I wasn't too surprised. Ranger Swanson did say he'd put me and Rocket to use in a day or two. "Sounds good. I guess everyone's here stocking up?"

"Seems like it."

"Well then, guess I'll be busy for a few days."

Author's Note

I see this as the last of the setup chapters. Hopefully things will get a bit more interesting now that I've listed out most of the characters.

Austin is terrified of pokemon, as he should be. On the other hand, he's not stupid and understands that pokemon are the future. He can't ignore the potential they represent. So he's desperately clinging to the information he has. Is it wise? Of course not. But he will anyway until reality slaps him with a dead fish.

Fun fact: The 40 hour workweek is a social construct. People living off the land, assuming they're not industrializing, tend to have a lot more free time despite the harsher lifestyle. For example, it's thought that hunter-gatherers typically worked roughly 20 hours per week and farmers 30.

Someone going from a corporate or academic lifestyle to this kind of post-apocalyptic setting might find it strange, but after the initial hubbub of getting a settlement functioning, they're likely to have
more free time than before, not less. Of course, filling in those hours without the internet is the challenge.

Fantastic Chapter again Webbs. Hopefully Austen will get a clue before he gets dead. On the subject of free time. I would suspect that as a Hunter Gatherer trainer Shane will spend 20-30 hours a week actually working with perhaps another 10 hours or so a week training himself and Rocket so that they can get stronger and essentially not die. Figure about 56 hours per week for sleeping and another 10 for eating and other necessaries. This still leaves him with about 60 odd hours a week of spare time to fill. Some will be filled by playing with Rocket but I can also see some of the older community members recreating card games and board games to help fill the void (it's what they were designed for). There's also any books they can scrounge and I can certainly see the community getting a fair sized library if it survives long enough.

Well, at least there are enough people there with Poke-knowledge that everyone knows to treat the Magikarp with kid gloves. Last thing their community needs is a pissed off water dragon living just off shore.

And I gotta say that I'm curious to see how well they'll be doing in the time to come. Gas & diesel don't last forever, after all. Maybe they could get some canoes? Or some books detailing how to make canoes and skiffs?

And now that they've settled down, will there be a new teammate waiting for them? He could take the step Austin is avoiding and approach a Geodude, hang around the lake and hope for a water type with legs, or possibly luck out while on an expedition.

When it comes to gas/diesel problems, there's always some form of bio-diesel fuel. I'm away from my computer, but there might be a way to make renewable sources of fuel. Whether the engines will run on it, make things break faster or other problems pop up, that's another matter entirely. Assuming people think about it, that is.

Just stumbled across this fic. I really enjoyed it so far. It's very unique in its premise, at least as far as I can tell.

I already love Rocket. He is such a fun little goofball. The back and forth between him and Shane is excellent.

Can't wait for the next update! I hope its soon!

Can't wait for the next update! I hope its soon!
Unfortunately the Author is juggling a number of stories atm so updates to any one of them are somewhat infrequent. Other than this one I heavily enjoy "When is a Spoon a Sword" which is a hilarious take on a pseudo SI/OC in which a middle-aged swordmaster (both kendo and HEMA) is reborn as the older brother of Tate and Liza the Mossdeep Gym leaders (Hoenn/Gen 3) and has a good deal of Pokemon knowledge from our world (up to Gen 8 I think). Follow his adventures with a rather oddball team (no seriously all his team members are kinda screwy in the head, you have been warned but it's freaking hilarious).

Unfortunately the Author is juggling a number of stories atm so updates to any one of them are somewhat infrequent. Other than this one I heavily enjoy "When is a Spoon a Sword" which is a hilarious take on a pseudo SI/OC in which a middle-aged swordmaster (both kendo and HEMA) is reborn as the older brother of Tate and Liza the Mossdeep Gym leaders (Hoenn/Gen 3) and has a good deal of Pokemon knowledge from our world (up to Gen 8 I think). Follow his adventures with a rather oddball team (no seriously all his team members are kinda screwy in the head, you have been warned but it's freaking hilarious).

Wait, this guy also does when is a spoon a sword? Huh. I hadn't realised. Both are excellent stories

Read up on all these chapters, the idea of a Pokemon apocalypse is very interesting, especially now that they share the same world as regular animals. Can't wait to see the saga of Shane and Rocket continue.

I hope this isn't a stupid question or the wrong place to ask it, but what is Solo leveling? Is it the thingy thats responsible for royal road being littered with apocalyptic litrpg type stories?

Last edited:
I hope this isn't a stupid question or the wrong place to ask it, but what is Solo leveling? Is it the thingy thats responsible for royal road being littered with apocolyptic litrpg type stories?
Solo Levelling is a Korean Manhwa where the MC gains a version of the Gamer ability. If it's the one I'm thinking of he starts off as literally the weakest of the weak, dungeoneering to pay for his mother's healthcare and sister's welfare. At this point he's actually a fairly nice guy but then things go tits up on an expedition and he gains the ability to level up (pretty much everyone else just gets powers that are mostly static). He then proceeds to become more than a bit of an a$$hole at which point I lost interest in the Manhwa. I have heard from one or two sources that he mostly gets over this phase but this is unverified.

Unfortunately for my tastes this seems to be a somewhat common trend with Korean Manhwa, guy is basically a loser but still fairly nice but then gets phenomenal cosmic power and goes on an ego trip becoming an a$$hole. I know it's more than likely somewhat true to life but, dammit, I don't want true to life, I want my escapism :D .

It's also one where "dungeon" portals started appearing awhile back, and if they're not "cleared" with the dungeon boss killed before a timelimit, the dungeon will "break" open. Spilling the murderous monsters out on a semi defenseless populace.

But yeah I dropped the manhwa when it seemed like it was going to be nothing but assholes. It was unclear whether it was a trauma + the corruptive nature of power, or just the power granted naturally boosting aggression. But still soooo many annoying asshole personalities.

Last edited:
1.8 Liftoff
Liftoff 1.8

April 2015

I walked into the ranger station and looked around. There were more people in here now, all getting ready for our outing tomorrow. Some were looking over their equipment. Others were gathered around a table, playing Hold 'Em to pass the time. Like Ranger Swanson said, there were no pokemon so Rocket drew the eye.

I nodded towards them and walked up to the receptionist's desk. "Yo, Sabrina, heard your old man wanted to see me?"

"Shane! Hey, how's it going?" she greeted. In her hands was an old Gameboy Color, Pokemon Red slotted into the cartridge.

"You're really playing Pokemon? Aren't you supposed to be the receptionist?"

"Studying! I'm studying! It's the job of the pokemon professor to stay on top of things, you know," she pouted. "I'm copying down any information that could be useful while we still have spare AA batteries."

"Huh, nice. Good for you, Sabrina."

"Yeah, it's not just the pokedex. I'm talking to every NPC, reading every sign and notebook, that sort of thing. Anything that might indicate behavioral habits of pokemon goes in my notebook so I can sort it out later."

"Okay, fine, you're a very studious person."

"Damn straight. How dare you say I'm playing. Watch. You're going to remember the name Sabrina Swanson as the very first pokemon professor in this world."

"You know, now that you say it like that, it doesn't sound right."

"What doesn't sound right?"

"You need a tree name. All pokemon professors have tree names. Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, Juniper… Hell, even the side characters like Brock's girlfriend had tree names. I think her name was Professor Ivy?"

"Yeah? Well, sorry I can't change my last name. I'll just go find a guy with the right last name to marry, just to soothe your OCD."

"Please do," I said with mock-seriousness. "It's very important. Tradition must be upheld."

"How 'bout I just change my name? We're in NorCal so I can just call myself Professor Redwood after the trees here."

"Hmm… Professor Redwood of the Cascade Region? That doesn't sound bad."

"See? Or I can head up to Oregon and call myself Professor Mary Jane."

I laughed. "They don't smoke that much."

"Yeah they do."

"Okay, but it's rude to point it out."

"Yup. I'll change my name to Mary Jane Kush."

"Not while you live under my roof," Ranger Swanson said with a frown. His mustache twitched upward but he managed to suppress the smile. "Shane, you're here."

"Guilermo told me you were planning something big."

"It ain't nothing big, just ranging out to Truckee for a salvage trip. The Adams brothers got done checking over our trucks so we're going back to see what we can salvage."

"Isn't this a bit early for Shane, dad?" Sabrina asked. "You're always saying how dangerous trips outside can be."

"I walked down from Oregon with Rocket, remember?" I told her. "I'm not going to just keel over at the first sign of trouble, Sabrina."

"You're both right," Tom grunted gruffly. "What my daughter's trying to say is, we've got six trucks and eighteen guys. More than that and it's hard to coordinate, leaves the town less defended too so it ain't wise. We load up these trucks with all the useful things we can find in Truckee, going street by street. That means we're bound to encounter pokemon; there's only so much we can do to avoid them. And when we're all loaded and coming back? A six truck convoy isn't very quiet."

"And not taking the trucks is impossible."

"Right. If you want to walk, it's four or five hours. By truck, just half an hour. Not even a question."

"Alright, I hear you, Tom. What's the most dangerous thing you've had to guard the truck from? I want to know what the worst I should expect is."

"Scout, my tranquill, can handle the flying rats-"

"He means spearow," our resident professor said.

"-and they're the most common things we see out here. They can be a problem if there are too many. We've had an oversized rat rip holes in the tires before-"

"Raticate. Assume Bite, maybe even Hyper Fang if we're unlucky."

"-and a black pooch-thing that travels in packs."

"Poochyena, no mightyena yet thankfully. I keep telling him that poochyena evolve fairly young and we should see the evolutions in the wild sooner or later."

"Sneasel too, boss," one of the rangers who'd been listening in chimed. "I'm telling you I saw one out the corner of my eye."

Tom grunted. "And I'm telling you I have no idea what that is."

"Bipedal weasel with huge front claws, dad," Sabrina said exasperatedly. I assumed she'd explained before. "It's got a red crest on its head. If you see one, leave it to Rocket or Scout because it's way too fast to tag with a gun."

"Eh, I'll be the judge of that, missy. There're other things out there, but none are as aggressive. Or they don't eat the same things we do so won't bother us if we don't bother them. Normally, I'd insist on taking you out for a few days to hunt, see what you're really made of , but I heard from Pat that you took out five of those flying rats the other day."

"Mostly Rocket, but I shouldn't be dead weight tomorrow. Just a quick trip there and back then?" I asked.

"Don't plan on it. It's only half an hour there, but finding something useful can take a while. We split into three teams of six people and two trucks each. It saves gas and gives us enough people to act as lookouts while the others search."

"Got it, anything else I should know?"

"Nah, get out of here. Just be back tomorrow morning. I'd give you a time, but not all of us have clocks. I'll ring you on the walkie-talkie so keep that close."

"Alright, will do."

X

True to my word, the next morning found me at the ranger station once again. Rocket was hyped. He didn't say anything, but I could tell in the restless twitch of his tail. He'd never traveled with others before. It'd always been the two of us, wandering the woods in a vaguely southerly direction. We had no plans beyond our immediate survival. Now, we'd be an integral part of supporting a town.

"Excited, Rocket?" I asked, giving his ears a scratch.

"Lin," he chuffed, head laid in my lap. His ears flicked back and forth with interest, taking in all the sounds around him.

The two of us were in the bed of the sixth truck. By sitting in the back, the idea was that Rocket would be able to use his keen senses to guard our rear.

We'd be traveling in two columns, using both lanes of the mountain road now that traffic laws weren't a thing. Old Tom was seated up in the first truck, hunting rifle laid across his lap. Up ahead, Scout the tranquill circled us in lazy loops, watching with a keen eye for danger.

He also had a drilbur called Spade, I'd seen it when I first arrived, but it was a coward that loathed battling. It had joined the town thanks to some quick thinking on Sabrina's part. It mostly stuck around the burrows with the diglett and graveler or mooched food from Sabrina at the station.

The notion of a pokemon that didn't want to battle was anathema to what I knew, but I supposed there were always exceptions. More's the pity, I knew exactly how obscenely powerful excadrill could be. I'd used one in my playthrough of Black and Black 2; it was oftentimes more useful than my starters.

Still, Tom figured Spade was more Sabrina's than his and no father would think leaving something to protect his daughter was a bad thing so no one made a fuss.

The trucks themselves had been heavily modified to resemble something out of a zombie apocalypse movie. Metal grates had been added to raise the walls of the beds, both so things wouldn't fall out and to keep out casual intrusion from wild animals and pokemon. The wheels had been chained to get through snow and slush, with additional supplies loaded onto crates that had been welded to the truck body. There were even lengths of barbed and razor wire lashed around the truck grates and front.

"Whoever made these really liked Mad Max," I mused as I leaned against the wall. There was no roof so Rocket wouldn't have any trouble covering the sky in Pin Missiles.

"The Adams brothers," my partner for the mission said. He was named Javier, a buff, squat fellow who'd done a few tours in Iraq in the Before. "And yeah, they're pretty kooky but they really know their way around cars."

"That's good. How many of these salvage missions have you been on?"

"Fourth one," he grunted. The trucks started to move. He pulled out a cig and a lighter, pausing with a raised brow to see if I'd care. When I nodded, he lit his cancer stick. There were three men per truck, one driver and two overwatch, so Rocket and I were the only ones who'd care. "These things are worse than Iraq."

"How so?"

"Watch, going there's easy. Truckee's only thirty minutes away even in slush like this. I reckon the noise of the trucks annoy a few, but they won't bother us. But searching the town? Coming back? That's trouble."

"I don't get it."

"They're smart."

"I know that. Rocket can understand you and me just fine. We'll probably run into a few pokemon in Truckee while we search, but why would coming back be dangerous?"

He grunted and exhaled. His mouth stretched open like a fish, forming a smoke ring that lingered in the air. "They're smart as hell. They don't know much about human creations, but they do know that when we roll by, we're picking up the useful things. So they wait 'til we pick out the edible stuff like canned food. Or they know we're tired. Some of them, man, they treat us like grocery bags with legs."

I paused at that. It was a disconcerting thought, though not one I was unfamiliar with. Pokemon had to eat, and unlike the anime, they ate more than pet food and berries. As smart as they were, many wild pokemon weren't too different from wild animals; when presented with easy food, they'd go for it. It just so happened that there were usually easier sources of calories than humans. But if we loaded up trucks with food, then well… the cost-benefit calculus suddenly changed.

I looked down at Rocket. As if to sense my unease, he opened a single eye to look up at me. "I trust Rocket to keep me safe."

"Good for you. But if it's all the same to you, I'm keeping my rifle close. I suggest you do the same."

X

Javier was right. We arrived in Truckee within the hour. The trees were laden with snow and the road had been partially flooded with slush, but our little convoy went unmolested.

Truckee was a small town by the standards of California, only sixteen thousand people or so before the move, but for a platoon of eighteen people, that was more than large enough to make salvaging difficult. The town covered more than thirty square miles and, according to Javier, was named after a Native American chief.

We'd headed up North Shore Road and past the Truckee-Tahoe Airport, a small little thing that had already been searched, mostly for stuff like fuel from parked cars, coffee beans, and the like. It was the location of a dungeon gate, one of a handful the town knew about. No one had approached it over the past month because there had been too much to do getting the town set up and self-sufficient. They understandably couldn't afford to waste manpower and resources just to confirm that a dungeon was deadly.

We turned onto Donner Pass Road, Truckee's main street, driving by a Circle K that had also been emptied. A few minutes later, we stopped in front of the Nevada County Superior Court.

Old Tom, here Ranger Swanson, addressed us from the first truck. "Alright, boys, here we are, first stop. The town is starting to produce more food than we need, so our priority this raid is going to be medicine, fuel, and books. We don't want the young'uns growing up dumb as you sack o' rocks."

A round of nervous chuckles ran through us. There was an awkward energy in the air and more than one of us kept a hand on our weapons, eyes furtively darting around for threats. I hoped that since we weren't gathering edibles for the most part, we'd be able to avoid most pokemon.

"Now, that don't mean you shouldn't take food if you find it, but that's not our priority today," he continued. "So here's how it's going to work. Team one, you'll be headed to that library over there. Pick up some textbooks. Instruction manuals for how to build things, survival guides, encyclopedias of local wildlife, how-to guides for medieval food preservation, whatever the hell looks useful. Hell, grab some blank paper and notebooks if you find 'em.

"Team two, you're going to the Tahoe Forest Hospital. No, better yet, start at the pharmacy across the street. You're more likely to get things us non-docs can use. Find bandages, disinfectants, insulin, and anything else you recognize.

Then he looked to the six of us at the back. "Team three, you lot are going to that NAPA Auto Parts right across the street. Fill up on gas and pick up some tools and parts while you're at it. I'm sure the Adams brothers will love you. If you have the space, start raiding the cars in the parking lot for even more gas. You guys will be furthest out so keep an eye out, clear?

"Clear," we echoed. I saw his eyes linger on Rocket and knew he'd placed himself and me in such a way that our pokemon would provide the most coverage.

"Can we go raid the liquor store before we leave?" one of the guys asked. He pointed at another building. Sure enough, there it was, Zander's Spirits.

"You shut your goddamn mouth Harvey," Tom grunted, then acquiesced with a rueful chuckle. "Maybe. If we get a good haul."

"Hell yeah!"

I rolled my eyes but couldn't begrudge the man. We all had things we'd prefer to forget these days. So long as he indulged within the walls, I wouldn't mind joining him.

With the promise of booze as reward, the six trucks separated into three teams of two.

Between the six of us sent out to the car parts store, it was decided that some guy named Chadwick, emphatically not to be called Chad, should be the head of our little squad. He was the most experienced or something; I didn't see the point in saying otherwise.

He had me, Javier, and Pete, our driver, out in the parking lot of NAPA, his reasoning being that Rocket probably fought better in the open and could act as a lookout far better than the rest of us.

"Hey, Shane," Pete called. "You ever siphon gas before?"

I shook my head. "No, now's as good a time as any to learn though. How does it work?"

Javier tapped the metal crate that had been welded to our truck bed. He opened it up to reveal two cylinders attached to hoses. There were also several plastic containers, empty by the looks of it. He handed me one container and a hose before waving me towards Pete.

"Alright, cool. That there is a siphoning pump. Basically, since we can't really crack open a fuel tank, we need to create a pressure difference between the tank and the exterior. You stock one end of the hose inside the tank and pump. That'll suck air out and lower the pressure. Eventually, gas is going to crawl up the hose. After that, you can stop and let gravity take over for you. With me?"

"Yeah, that sounds simple enough. Why are there only two pumps though?"

"Because one of us should keep an eye out along with your pokemon."

"Fair enough. Should I watch then?"

"Nah, you go ahead and try. Start filling up from the cars around here. You can expect anywhere from three or four gallons to fifteen depending on when the owners last filled up."

So Javier and I worked while Pete sat atop the hood of our truck, rifle in hand. To his credit, he kept an eye out and occasionally reported back with the walkie-talkie to check in. From the sound of things, the salvage mission was going well.

Team one had found a few guides that they thought might be useful, including a guide to mushroom cultivation in colder climates, as well as guides to poisonous plants in the area that Ranger Swanson hadn't had in his already sizable collection. By radio chatter, they were thinking about cultivating porcini, white chanterelles, shaggy manes, and slippery jacks, though they admitted some would be harder than others.

Unfortunately, team two hadn't had as much luck. They found a few cardboard boxes and had filled them with over-the-counter drugs like Tylenol, but it wasn't as though any of us were pharmacologists. They did head to the back of the store, but their knowledge was limited so they weren't sure which prescription drug would be safe to consume. It didn't help that the pharmacy, being one of the more obvious locations to search, had largely been raided by others the month prior.

We did have two doctors in Carnelian, so Ranger Swanson told them to gather up all that they could find. We'd just have to take a gamble on what was and was not useful. When they were done there, they were told to cross the street to the hospital for bandages and other supplies.

As for us, the other half of team three were having a blast. NAPA Auto Parts was a pit stop, which meant they didn't just sell car parts. They also had things like cigarettes, flint, electric generators, and batteries. Naturally, there was a stock of gasoline, but much of that had already been taken.

I heard the walkie-talkie crackle to life.

"Hey guys, do we need ship fuel? Over." came the voice of John, one of those who'd gone inside.

"I don't know," Pete replied. "It's all the same, right? Over."

I paused siphoning to crack open the radio. "No, it's not. Cars and boats use different types of petrol, over. One won't work on the other. Take the ship fuel. I visited the pier the other day. Vincent said his boats need more of that to run properly, over."

"You sure? Who's Vincent? Over."

"Vincent Jackson. Rich guy who used to be part of the yacht club. He repurposed his boat to start fishing, over. It's important for food, over."

"Alright, new kid. You got it, over."

I was glad. According to Vincent, the fish farm was going great, but that didn't mean a working boat or three wasn't useful to have. This close to a vacation lake, it made sense for a store like this to carry boat fuel.

Pete and I switched off in an hour. I sat atop the truck with Rocket by my side, watching the two men venture further away from our car. We'd siphoned all the gas from every car in the surrounding lot now. When I asked what was next, they told me to sit tight and keep watch while they went inside and joined the rest of our team.

"This ain't so bad," I told Rocket, giving him a good scritch behind the ears. He hadn't moved once since we'd parked. I got the feeling that he was a little disappointed at not picking up food.

"Oone," he huffed.

"Don't be like that. The store's also got charcoal. You like smoked things, right?"

"Lin? Linoone."

"Yeah. We'll go hunting when this is over, just the two of us. We can smoke something. Maybe we can even come out here alone, make it a weekend trip for a few days. We'd draw a lot less attention than the whole convoy, right?"

"Lin."

"See? Just think of this as a scouting mission for ourselves in the future, eh? Besides, quiet is good. I'd rather be bored than be fighting for my life."

Just as I said that, my walkie-talkie came alive in a burst of static.

"N-No! Get it off! Aaah!" I heard one of the men scream.

"What the hell was that? Team two, come in!" Ranger Swanson's voice followed a second later. "Fuck! Check in! Team one's all fine."

"Team three's fine. We're in the store hauling boat fuel," Pete said.

"Shane here. Rocket and I are standing watch outside."

"Team two!" Swanson barked. When there was no response, he swore again. "Shit, they're either gone or they're in no position to respond. Drop what you've got and gather in front of the hospital."

We hurried to comply. When we arrived, we found team one already there. They were parked around team two's trucks, both abandoned.

The hospital was a small compound made up mostly of two story buildings, with the main building being three stories. Though it was one of the main medical facilities this side of Tahoe, it obviously didn't see as many patients as a hospital in the city.

Ranger Swanson nodded to us as we drove in. Scout, his tranquill, alighted on his shoulder with a quiet croon. "Good, you're here. We've got twelve people. Four of you will stay out here with Scout as lookouts. Eight of us will be heading inside. We'll do a floor by floor search. Shane, Rocket, you're coming in with me."

I nodded, nervously adjusting the strap of my backpack. I didn't relish the thought of intentionally going into danger, but it was clear that this was expected of me as the only one with a groundbound pokemon. "You got it."

"We could just leave," one of the rangers said. "If they haven't picked up, they're probably dead. Ain't no sense in going inside."

"We don't know that," Swanson grunted, "They could be unconscious or holed up in a position where talking is risky. Even if they are dead, we owe it to them to confirm. We'll also need to come back to the hospital for supplies too so it's not like this problem's going to go away"

'Yeah? Well count me out. I'm staying out here where I can shoot something before it comes for me."

"Coward," another ranger mocked.

"Shut it!" Swanson barked. "None of that. You want to stay out here? Fine. Keep that radio close, you hear?"

"Yeah, yeah."

I observed silently. It wasn't something I hadn't seen before. Ranger Swanson had command and did well enough when nothing was going wrong, but when we had to walk into danger? Then nerves were frayed and people started acting up. I saw similar things in Bend. Greed. Self-preservation. Understandable things, but ugly.

In the end, we did manage to divide into two teams. The eight of us, made up of Ranger Swanson, myself, Javier, Pete, and four others, checked our gear one last time before heading into the hospital. I had my trusty crossbow, the M1911 holdout pistol, a survival hatchet, and a nice, thick hunting knife.

I climbed aboard team two's truck beds. I rummaged around until I found what I was looking for, a discarded beanie soaked with sweat from loading the truck with medical supplies.

"What're you doing up there, Shane?" Javier called.

"Tracking. We can do a floor by floor search, or we can have Rocket find the guy this belongs to," I explained. I tossed it to Rocket, who leisurely snatched it out of the air. "Odor Sleuth, bud."

"Linoone-lin. Lin-oone," he whined. He took a few sniffs of the beanie. His ears perked up, which I knew to mean he had the trail.

"He can do that?" Ranger Swanson asked.

"Sure he can."

"Then you two up front. We'll follow behind you."

"Yes, sir. Rocket, we're going in," I said with more confidence than I felt. "Keep up Odor Sleuth. Expect fighting."

X

As it turned out, Rocket led us down to the basement. Behind me followed seven men, all armed similarly to myself. A few even had spears made from sharpened steel pipes with duct tape wrapped around them for grip.

We ignored the non-functioning elevator in favor of the stairs. There, Rocket paused, took one sniff of the air below, and let out a quiet bark.

"What's that mean?" Pete asked.

"It means beanie-man is downstairs," I said. "Dead or alive, Rocket?"

"Lin," he chuffed, burying his nose in his paw."

"Dead. Well, Ranger Swanson? Your call. We go find out what killed him?"

"It's Tom, kid. And yeah, we go down. We need to know if that's going to be a problem. The last thing we need is something crawling up behind us while we search the rest of this place. I also want to get James' body back if we can. We owe it to him."

I saw the men nod, though some did so reluctantly.

"Right. Rocket, head down slow. Flashlights, please."

We stepped down stair by stair, treating each floorboard like there was a land mine beneath it. Considering the bullshit revolving around pokemon, I wasn't willing to say that wasn't a possibility.

The basement was noticeably colder than the first floor. A difference of ten feet down, and already I could see hoarfrost forming all over the metal railing. The floor was slick with ice and our breaths loosed clouds of condensed water that caught our flashlight beams. This clearly wasn't something natural and it had us all on edge.

We found the one called James, or what was left of him, in front of what looked like a storage room.

"Holy shit," Javier gasped.

I heard a few men retch. I wanted to join them. The poor guy had his head cracked open, caved in like a watermelon dropped from the roof. I looked him over and found that his legs had been given the same treatment. His shins were shattered, splinters of bone poking through a coat of crimson.

"Back," Ranger Swanson ordered. "Back to the stairs. Shane, what the hell caused that?"

"I don't know," I said, voice cracking in alarm.

I ran through every ice type I could think of. Seal? No, they wouldn't be out here, same with cloyster. Jynx? No chance. Sneasel? They had claws, not sledgehammers. Swinub and piloswine could probably do it, but I didn't think they'd be in some hospital basement. Warthog and mammoth types didn't scream they'd be at home here. Same with snover and abomasnow.

"Well fat lot of help you are," I heard someone mutter, only to quiet as Rocket growled low.

"To the stairs. Carefully," Swanson warned. "Body's uneaten so they don't want us. We leave, it'll be fine."

"Linoo!" Rocket barked, knocking Swanson down.

"What the fu-"

"Pokemon attack!"

Our flashlights swung wildly but caught nothing. I ducked when I heard gunshots go off. A ball of blue sailed through the air, where Ranger Swanson's head used to be.

"Shrew!" I heard.

That sinking feeling in my stomach was back. Shrew? Sandshrew? I tilted my flashlight down, confirming my suspicions. A sandshrew, but blue. It was coated in a thick layer of ice-like armor. It had uncurled from its ball and began to chitter angrily at us.

"Sandshrew!" I yelled. I hauled Ranger Swanson to his feet. "They're short!"

"What the fuck? Aren't these things ground types?" Pete yelled.

"Doesn't matter. Head for the stairs!"

"Rocket! Cover us with Pni Missile!" I ordered, shoving people back.

More chittering filled the air. That thing wasn't alone. Javier swung his flashlight, showing us a hole in the corner of the wall we'd missed. Three more crawled out and brandished their claws menacingly.

These things had burrowed clean through the cement, though for what, I couldn't say. Maybe they just wanted four walls to call their own and figured they could use the space. Or they were interested in something in the storage rooms. Fuck if I knew; I wasn't Oak. I wasn't even a vet like Sabrina.

A flurry of sharpened hairs launched from Rocket. Several of us raised our weapons and fired as we retreated onto the stairs. It didn't matter. The sandshrew curled into balls and bullets and hairs alike bounced with clear, pinging noises.

All that got us was a set of glaring, angry pokemon. The way their claws scraped against the frozen ground made for a distinctly hair-raising sound.

"Shit, I think they're mad," Pete muttered helpfully.

"Don't you fucking turn around," I whispered harshly. "You turn around, you won't know when to dodge. Slowly climb up backwards. Rocket, keep their heads down with Pin Missile. If they launch at us, don't block, just use Tail Whip and try to sweep them to the side."

We did just that. We weren't getting James' body back.

Then, all four of them used Rollout, launching themselves like demented Sonic on crack. Rocket leapt into the air, pivoting sharply to slap two of them off course.

Another, Henry or something from team one, stepped in front of me. He shoved me back and brought his steel pipe to bear, swinging as heavily as he could manage while stuck with so little room. The sandshrew let out a yelp of surprise as it was bunted into the ground.

That would have hit me in the face had Henry not stepped through. Shivering, I made a note to do something nice for the big guy. Clearly, my reliance on my crossbow and a hunting knife wasn't good for defense. I didn't know what "good defense" there was against an angry pokemon, but at least I'd live long enough to workshop the idea.

The fourth however, struck true. It had slid against the wall, rolling up the hoarfrost like it was a personal racetrack. It flew above my head to nail the guy behind me. The dull snap of breaking bone filled the air.

"Aahhh!" he screamed out.

I quickly picked up the sandshrew, about two-thirds the size of a bowling ball, and shot-put it away from us. "Up! Keep going up!"

I had no idea what the fuck was going on. Sandshrew were ground types. That had been established fact since the original Pokemon Yellow. Why the fuck was an obvious ice type variant here? What even was it?

It was like that not-pikachu Rocket and I faced. A new pokemon. Or maybe a regional variant? Were those a thing? Divergent evolution based on habitat? For all I knew, this thing could be a Team Rocket experiment a la Mewtwo. The world had never seen a hint of any of the canon "baddies" in the dungeons, but the Rockets were exactly the kind of crazy who'd try something like this and make it everyone else's problem.

The eight of us made it back up the stairs with only one injury, some guy named Luke. He'd managed to bring his arm up in time to keep his face in one piece, but the sandshrew had turned that arm to so much jelly with one Rollout. We now had visceral confirmation how that James fellow died.

Author's Note

Javier is correct. Truckee is an
old town, dating back to the mid-1800s. It was named after a chief of the Paiute tribe by the name of Tru-ki-zo. According to Wikipedia, he was a friendly chief who greeted travelers by saying "Tro-kay!" which in Paiute meant "Everything is alright." Could be anecdotal, but it was funny enough to reference.

Airplane fuel, like boat fuel, is incompatible with a car's engine. Siphoning it from an aircraft won't do you much good; you're better off just raiding the parked cars, lounges, and stripping useful metal from things.

The neighborhood we saw them salvage from exists. I literally pulled up a Google Maps so I can think about what might be reasonable for six trucks to raid.

Now, is this how you should carry out a raid? Probably not. I'm sure there are a dozen military folk who know better, and a hundred more keyboard-berets, but you'll just have to forgive me for never having engaged in urban warfare of any kind. Also keep in mind that the guy they put in charge was a park ranger. This is more or less the best they could do.

Now, we know that sandshrew is the Alolan variant, but Shane has no fucking clue. For him, thinking a hyper-aggressive variant is some kind of science experiment isn't an unreasonable guess.

Why are the sandshrew there at all? Why the fuck are they so damn murder-happy? What happened to the other members of team two? Find out more on Dragon Ball Z!

Animal fact? Alright. The pygmy shrew is the smallest mammal in North America and the second smallest in the world. Unfortunately, the crown of smallest in the world belongs to the bumblebee bat, weighing in at just 2 grams.

There are more stories on my Pat-re-on. As of now, you can find a total of 23 chapters worth of content spread out across my various stories, starting at $2 per month. While I update publicly four times a month, I actually maintain a minimum of 7 commissions and 2 free chapters on Pat-re-on, which means that stockpile tends to grow faster.

Here's where the stories are at:

Spoon: 4.10 (6 chapters)
LT: 8.4 (3 chapters)
PWP: 4.11 (6 chapters)
Apocalypse: 1.10 (2 chapters)
Troll: 13 (5 chapters)
War: 9 (1 chapter, and finished)

Solo Levelling is a Korean Manhwa where the MC gains a version of the Gamer ability. If it's the one I'm thinking of he starts off as literally the weakest of the weak, dungeoneering to pay for his mother's healthcare and sister's welfare. At this point he's actually a fairly nice guy but then things go tits up on an expedition and he gains the ability to level up (pretty much everyone else just gets powers that are mostly static). He then proceeds to become more than a bit of an a$$hole at which point I lost interest in the Manhwa. I have heard from one or two sources that he mostly gets over this phase but this is unverified.

Unfortunately for my tastes this seems to be a somewhat common trend with Korean Manhwa, guy is basically a loser but still fairly nice but then gets phenomenal cosmic power and goes on an ego trip becoming an a$$hole. I know it's more than likely somewhat true to life but, dammit, I don't want true to life, I want my escapism :D .

It's also one where "dungeon" portals started appearing awhile back, and if they're not "cleared" with the dungeon boss killed before a timelimit, the dungeon will "break" open. Spilling the murderous monsters out on a semi defenseless populace.

But yeah I dropped the manhwa when it seemed like it was going to be nothing but assholes. It was unclear whether it was a trauma + the corruptive nature of power, or just the power granted naturally boosting aggression. But still soooo many annoying asshole personalities.
It finished. It's... It's okay. You're right, MC is an ass. He becomes quite arrogant and becomes rather callous of civilian lives, even when he's technically humanity's greatest protector. However, the art's pretty good, climax is neat-ish, and it's the webtoon that got the "dungeon but irl" trope started after piggybacking off The Gamer webtoon series.

Fortunately, the only thing I'm porting is the dungeons. Why they're appearing, how, and what the hell Arceus was smoking is something Shane will have to find out.

Perhaps the Alolan Sandshrew have had something happen to them that made them distrustful of humans, driving them closer to human civilization, or have been driven from their home, making them very desperate.

Shrews are actually pretty voracious predators. They eat pretty much anything smaller than them. A dog sized shrew with magic bullshit? I don't see why they'd have any reason not to eat people that deliver themselves to them.

Back